Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,039 members, 7,818,076 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:03 AM

Gbenga Daniel Replies Soyinka: Your Comments Betray Your Repute - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gbenga Daniel Replies Soyinka: Your Comments Betray Your Repute (33938 Views)

Fayose, Femi Fani-Kayode, Mimiko, Gbenga Daniel, Ooni At Yoruba Summit In Ibadan / Gbenga Daniel Playing Piano In Church (Photo) / Fani-Kayode & His Wife Receive Gbenga Daniel In Their Home (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Gbenga Daniel Replies Soyinka: Your Comments Betray Your Repute by discusant: 4:09pm On Aug 12, 2015
From a Nobel Laureate down to a Wine Connoseur - alcoholic wine sampler, Soyinka gradually condescended.

2 Likes

Re: Gbenga Daniel Replies Soyinka: Your Comments Betray Your Repute by rabzy: 4:16pm On Aug 12, 2015
discusant:
From a Nobel Laureate down to a Wine Connoseur - alcoholic wine sampler, Soyinka gradually condescended.

Yeah so saith a farmer.
Re: Gbenga Daniel Replies Soyinka: Your Comments Betray Your Repute by brainpower(m): 4:19pm On Aug 12, 2015
OrlandoOwoh:

It's Joseph Mbu, working for Mama Peace that closed the Assembly. Rivers State's legislators were still meeting in select places for their meetings.

Evasive quoting. no comments about the judiciary but only chose the assembly. And please where are these selected places? Amaechi's kitchen? All the loans and money they approved for him especially his acclaimed saving, where did they sit to approve it?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Gbenga Daniel Replies Soyinka: Your Comments Betray Your Repute by neocortex: 4:26pm On Aug 12, 2015
OZAOEKPE:
I know that the truth hurts most times, but I have to say it. To me Soyinka is just a lucky man, for him to have won a nobel price with works like,"d lion and the jewel", he should be thankful.
He cannot and can never reach the height and peak chinua achebe reached.
Before you quote me, please google when he won that "lucky" nobel price.

I agree that Soyinka lately has been a bad public commentator.

However, your analysis of Soyinka's "luck" is flawed.
Nobel prize committee do not choose a prize winner based on
how "sweet" his/her stories are.

Nobel prize is based on some esoteric and obvious characteristics
of a work not on "public likeness".

Just check the works of past literature laureates and tell me
if their work is the most entertaining of their era.

1 Like

Re: Gbenga Daniel Replies Soyinka: Your Comments Betray Your Repute by Nobody: 4:30pm On Aug 12, 2015
allcomage:

TRUTH BE TOLD WOLE SOYINKA IS OVERRATED GOING BY HIS BOOKS I HAVE READ.CAN SOMEBODY LIST TO ME HIS BOOKS IN CASE IF I HAVE MISSED FANTASTIC ONES.I DONT KNOW THE CRITERIA FOR NOBEL PRICE BUT CHINUA ACHEBE'S IMPACT IS VERY MUCH FELT IN LITERARY WORLD.

I don't know why you people spew trash like this? What is so special about Things Fall Apart or Arrow of God or No Longer At Ease or A Man of the People or Anthills of the Savannah? What impact did they make on the world? For me, Things Fall Apart is the most overrated novel. If you are looking for a lucky writer, it is Achebe. He doesn't even write as well as Elechi or Cyprian Ekwensi. He only happened to publish the first book with themes of precolonialism and colonialism.

You said Wole Soyinka is overrated? How manybooks of Beckett or TS Eliot have you read?I know that if somebody like you read the books of this writers, you are going to say they are overrated because their works are too deep for you.

If you think the Nobel prize was the only worthy award on Soyinka's CV, go to his wiki page and see how long his list of both national and international awards is.

4 Likes

Re: Gbenga Daniel Replies Soyinka: Your Comments Betray Your Repute by Akinz0126(m): 4:33pm On Aug 12, 2015
*Yawn*let the fight begins.

1 Like

Re: Gbenga Daniel Replies Soyinka: Your Comments Betray Your Repute by Akinz0126(m): 4:34pm On Aug 12, 2015
shocked*Yawn*let the fight begins.
Re: Gbenga Daniel Replies Soyinka: Your Comments Betray Your Repute by Nobody: 4:38pm On Aug 12, 2015
OZAOEKPE:
I know that the truth hurts most times, but I have to say it. To me soyinka idisgre youself lucky man, for him to have won a nobel price with works like,"d lion and the jewel", he should be thankful.

I am sure the success of Things Fall Apart must have shocked even Achebe himself. The book isn't the best of its kind. The respect accorded to it is more for its status as the first modern African novel. Before Things Fall Apart, African writers wrote stories with foreign themes and settings.

As for your balderdash that Soyinka won the Nobel through luck, I would advise that you stop saying it before you disgrace yourself in the world out there.

6 Likes

Re: Gbenga Daniel Replies Soyinka: Your Comments Betray Your Repute by nokingasgod: 4:43pm On Aug 12, 2015
OZAOEKPE:
I know that the truth hurts most times, but I have to say it. To me soyinka is just a lucky man, for him to have won a nobel price with works like,"d lion and the jewel", he should be thankful.

What has this got to do with the subject matter? Some people will remained locked up by the poverty of their minds so much so well that they wont even know that times has changed. In the Nigeria of today where a better tomorrow is being shaped, there will be no room for idle, myopic, neverdowell minds to trade in their previous stock of bigotry. They shall not thrive.

2 Likes

Re: Gbenga Daniel Replies Soyinka: Your Comments Betray Your Repute by delvinmaya(m): 4:48pm On Aug 12, 2015
OZAOEKPE:
I know that the truth hurts most times, but I have to say it. To me soyinka is just a lucky man, for him to have won a nobel price with works like,"d lion and the jewel", he should be thankful.

Comparing Soyinka with Achebe is totally uncalled for and irrelevant. They both are geniuses in their "scope of work". Notice I put scope there.

1 Like

Re: Gbenga Daniel Replies Soyinka: Your Comments Betray Your Repute by UpLoyo: 4:50pm On Aug 12, 2015
OZAOEKPE:

Did anyone stop you from getting lucky as well? And what height did Achebe reached that Soyinka didn't again?

2 Likes

Re: Gbenga Daniel Replies Soyinka: Your Comments Betray Your Repute by delvinmaya(m): 4:54pm On Aug 12, 2015
A common misnomer is people comparing Soyinka and Achebe. People don't realize Soyinka is an all rounder in the literary world. From prose (both fiction and non-fiction), to plays and poems, Soyinka is a giant. Achebe however wrote only prose and "poems", he didn't write a single play . I say this to set the record straight.
However there is no basis for comparison. Like I stated above, both are geniuses in their rights

2 Likes

Re: Gbenga Daniel Replies Soyinka: Your Comments Betray Your Repute by Madeb: 4:55pm On Aug 12, 2015
Donclaracuzo:

May be, exceptionally corrupt than the other politicians of his era and of which, I would like you to mention but a few!
, Didn't U Knw dat he was one of d wicked governors dat made life difficult 4 students by increasn d sch fees without any improvement durin his tenure?
Re: Gbenga Daniel Replies Soyinka: Your Comments Betray Your Repute by wunmi590(m): 4:56pm On Aug 12, 2015
OZAOEKPE:

I concur with you, despite the fact that I am yoruba man, WS talk to much, I don't expect him to behave and talk the way he does.
Re: Gbenga Daniel Replies Soyinka: Your Comments Betray Your Repute by oluamid(m): 5:13pm On Aug 12, 2015
OZAOEKPE:

Luck? Did you say winning the Nobel prize is luck? I guess I have to check my dictionary for the meaning of luck again.

And by the way, the title "the lion and the jewel" is as metaphorical as they come.

You may not like Soyinka for whatever reason, but don't demean his work and achievements.

Achebe was a great writer, comparing him to WS however is doing injustice to his works. Soyinka will always come out tops.

1 Like

Re: Gbenga Daniel Replies Soyinka: Your Comments Betray Your Repute by kenoz(m): 5:14pm On Aug 12, 2015
grin
Re: Gbenga Daniel Replies Soyinka: Your Comments Betray Your Repute by superstar3: 5:28pm On Aug 12, 2015
kingsolex:

luck is wen u unmeritably earn some thing and become part of a larger body who are gurus in that field, by ur post its obvious u envious of the man honestly I don't know why u will think u have more brain than the group of professional laureates that's criticised his work base on many factors and decided to give him the noble prize with ur flat brain that have not even won children award in wat ever it is u are studying at school,... one word for you go get a life

You made my day with this comment.

1 Like

Re: Gbenga Daniel Replies Soyinka: Your Comments Betray Your Repute by SLIDEwaxie(m): 6:00pm On Aug 12, 2015
Icecomrade:

I still maintain that you are an uneducated retar d on Nairaland. Get a life
I will rewrite, slowly, for your weakened brain to hold some strand of my statement:

You, don't, have, to, talk, to me, as , you, always , talk, to, your dad, at home. grin
Re: Gbenga Daniel Replies Soyinka: Your Comments Betray Your Repute by chachanga: 6:09pm On Aug 12, 2015
OZAOEKPE:

Please, help me summarize this story, am allergic to #longthings

The more reason why you shouldn't take up your Learned Seniors who rather versed at #LongWriteUps especially if their logic come dey sound!

See d #LongLashings wey u dey invite for una self now?
Re: Gbenga Daniel Replies Soyinka: Your Comments Betray Your Repute by Icecomrade: 6:13pm On Aug 12, 2015
SLIDEwaxie:
I will rewrite, slowly, for your weakened brain to hold some strand of my statement:

You, don't, have, to, talk, to me, as , you, always , talk, to, your dad, at home. grin

Your ret arded brain can't stop you from writing thrash. U can go an commit sucide if my response to your thrash hurt you so badly

Akwuya
Re: Gbenga Daniel Replies Soyinka: Your Comments Betray Your Repute by ayindejimmy(m): 6:32pm On Aug 12, 2015
OZAOEKPE:

Chinua Achebe might be a Bestselling author but the Nobel Prize is awarded by renowned writers. And those people chose Prof Wole Soyinka.

Comparing both is like comparing Whizkid to Asa.

Gbenga Daniel did lock the State House of Assembly....

“When took the PDP structure from Daniel,
Obasanjo called us one day and said we should not
work for Jonathan for 2015. We asked why and he
said Jonathan doesn’t listen to him; Jonathan
doesn’t take instructions from him and Jonathan
tells him lies. And we asked what kind of lies?
Obasanjo said when Gbenga Daniel locked up the
Ogun State House of Assembly during the crisis
involving the lawmakers, Jonathan was in China
and called him to say the action was unacceptable,
that within 24 hours the Assembly would be re-
opened. Obasanjo said despite the promise, the
Assembly remained locked for two months. That in
his own state it was an insult to his integrity. He
was boiling with anger that day. He vowed that
Jonathan would not spend more than one term in
office. That he would fight President Jonathan to
the end.”

http://sunnewsonline.com/new/obasanjo-fighting-jonathan/

2 Likes

Re: Gbenga Daniel Replies Soyinka: Your Comments Betray Your Repute by 989900: 6:50pm On Aug 12, 2015
skullbaba:
from your comments you want to tribalise this tread. Let me quick and answer your biasity (sic). 1. WS is a dramatist and when he won the nobel prize there are very few dramatist in the world then even till date while CA is a Novelist. 2. Chinua try to explain african by using english while Wole is explaining Africa by yorubalising english. We should be proud of these icons and stop comparing themm they had made their marks what have you and I done for ourselves talkless of Nigeria or humanity than spreading hatred and tribal sentiment. I am yoruba and I am sentimental because I am a human being but I am fighting it because it is an instrument of enslavement. Bro one thing about we yoruba is that we will always question you. The anti govt mouth piece will always be a yoruba man no one can win us. Even Awolowo was defeated by we yoruba, I won't call it betrayal cos we yoruba believ when we blindly follow somebody we will fall into pit. OBJ nightmare is from the southwest, yaradua is the least critise president did you know why because he is a pacifist. Belief in 6months time PMB nightmare will be we yorubas and it has already started in fayose. On the topic Daniel is a thief and a tyrant, blood sucking diabolic thief, wole soyinka was right that jonathan was caged by cabals example is daniel.

You just photocopied my mind.

Free virtual 'Orijin' for you -- for life!

cheesy
Re: Gbenga Daniel Replies Soyinka: Your Comments Betray Your Repute by Nelrulez(m): 7:26pm On Aug 12, 2015
Bleep it! Polite insult.
Re: Gbenga Daniel Replies Soyinka: Your Comments Betray Your Repute by SLIDEwaxie(m): 8:03pm On Aug 12, 2015
Icecomrade:

Your ret arded brain can't stop you from writing thrash. U can go an commit sucide if my response to your thrash hurt you so badly

Akwuya
grin grin grin

That botanical language is unnecessary...

Dude, i am not the one feeling the pain here na...

U are the one speaking in tongues...lol

Now, listen again:

Stop talking to me as you would your dad

wink
Re: Gbenga Daniel Replies Soyinka: Your Comments Betray Your Repute by malikisah: 8:09pm On Aug 12, 2015
I never liked gbenga Daniel, ebi like who catarrh dey worry always.
Re: Gbenga Daniel Replies Soyinka: Your Comments Betray Your Repute by jwils(m): 8:26pm On Aug 12, 2015
DoTheNeedful:
Who is Gbenga Daniel Is he not a mere educated tout who was lucky to become Ogun governor through OBJ's influence? Is he not just ritualist and a blood-thirsty opportunist? He should sit down. He is not useful to the society apart from maybe his family
are you useful to the society with this comment?.... ...... I doubt, not even to your family undecided
Re: Gbenga Daniel Replies Soyinka: Your Comments Betray Your Repute by Icecomrade: 8:33pm On Aug 12, 2015
SLIDEwaxie:
grin grin grin

That botanical language is unnecessary...

Dude, i am not the one feeling the pain here na...

U are the one speaking in tongues...lol

Now, listen again:

Stop talking to me as you would your dad

wink

You are a ret ard on Nairaland. Atleast you ve been ranting since I hit you badly.

Akwuya!!!!
Re: Gbenga Daniel Replies Soyinka: Your Comments Betray Your Repute by xtervaganza(m): 9:07pm On Aug 12, 2015
OZAOEKPE:
what did your unlucky father win?

A prize to ge the father of a sad fool?
Re: Gbenga Daniel Replies Soyinka: Your Comments Betray Your Repute by ooshinibos: 9:29pm On Aug 12, 2015
Donclaracuzo:

Lol, that one no concern me. Jail them if court permits for that even Soyinka for opening up his mouth any how these days!

na true u talk
Re: Gbenga Daniel Replies Soyinka: Your Comments Betray Your Repute by Rotimi47: 9:32pm On Aug 12, 2015
OZAOEKPE:
Chinua Achebe is down the ladder while Wole is up the ladder; can some people just leave out tribal sentiments for once! Wole works are complex as they are meant to expand your reasoning unlike chinue Achebe who's work an average secondary school student can reproduce if he or she is determined to do so. Even American former president Bill Clinton read wole's work and said he had to read it up to 3 times before he could understand it fully, that was when he was still the President of the United States of America. My point is that he found time to read one of wole's work even with his busy schedule. Your comparison is laughable. Smh!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gbenga Daniel Replies Soyinka: Your Comments Betray Your Repute by madridsta007(m): 9:45pm On Aug 12, 2015
DoTheNeedful:
Who is Gbenga Daniel Is he not a mere educated tout who was lucky to become Ogun governor through OBJ's influence? Is he not just ritualist and a blood-thirsty opportunist? He should sit down. He is not useful to the society apart from maybe his family

I think ALL Governors in Nigeria came in with the influence of someone- either the outgoing governor or the Presidency. Hence the term, 'godfather'.

As for the 'ritualist' tag- where is empirical evidence?
Re: Gbenga Daniel Replies Soyinka: Your Comments Betray Your Repute by madridsta007(m): 9:47pm On Aug 12, 2015
Rotimi47:
Chinua Achebe is down the ladder while Wole is up the ladder; can some people just leave out tribal sentiments for once! Wole works are complex as they are meant to expand your reasoning unlike chinue Achebe who's work an average secondary school student can reproduce if he or she is determined to do so. Even American former president Bill Clinton read wole's work and said he had to read it up to 3 times before he could understand it fully, that was when he was still the President of the United States of America. My point is that he found time to read one of wole's work even with his busy schedule. Your comparison is laughable. Smh!

'The writer in whose company the prison walls came down'

-Nelson Mandela on Chinua Achebe.

Please do not compare Achebe with anyone. Till today, his works are studied and the man, studied. I walked into a bookshop in a certain Western European country and I found only three authors from Nigeria whose works were on their shelves- Achebe, Chimamanda and the new kid on the block, Chigozie Obioma. One is not called the 'founding father of African literature' for nothing.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Buhari’s Statements De-marketing Nigeria, PDP Says / DSS Arrests Northern Group Leaders Over Plans To Issue Quit Notice / Peter Obi Supporter Endorses Atiku

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.