Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,559 members, 7,816,360 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:10 AM

Some History On Lagos And Yoruba Migration - Nigerpeople - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Some History On Lagos And Yoruba Migration - Nigerpeople (7575 Views)

Peter Obi Walking Home On Lagos Bridge After Church Service (Photos) / Julius Berger And RCC Have Started Work On Lagos-ibadan Expressway (PHOTO) / Fulani Herdsmen Cause Accident On Lagos-Ibadan Expressway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Some History On Lagos And Yoruba Migration - Nigerpeople by Omololu007(m): 10:26pm On Aug 16, 2015
VickJames:

Mr, I don't know the school you attended but if you were to write a project and you cite wikipedia, you will re-write the project from the scratch.

Lagos is a portuguese name, while eko is bini language. There's nothing yoruba in both words. If you want to apply logic here, you'll say the binis met the portuguese in eko.

So, yorubas like other tribes are migrants in Lagos.
Re: Some History On Lagos And Yoruba Migration - Nigerpeople by totit: 10:27pm On Aug 16, 2015
I don't see any reason why any of us should bother about what a stranger says about our region.

Does it change anything?
The Op should take a visit to Oba akinola.

His life will never remain the same again..i tell yaaa grin

5 Likes

Re: Some History On Lagos And Yoruba Migration - Nigerpeople by Omololu007(m): 10:28pm On Aug 16, 2015
VickJames:

Ok, let the argument end here.

grin
i dont even understand what ur argument is,are u sayin lagos state is not yoruba land or wot?

1 Like

Re: Some History On Lagos And Yoruba Migration - Nigerpeople by vicadex07(m): 10:28pm On Aug 16, 2015
Ode, whats the meaning of ekiti or yoruba in yoruba?
VickJames:

What's the meaning of "eko" in yoruba language?
Re: Some History On Lagos And Yoruba Migration - Nigerpeople by eleshin(m): 10:33pm On Aug 16, 2015
Well m a lagosian from Epe/lagos island. My tribe and language is Yoruba, so I don't really understand the difference between the two cos Lagos is just a city in Yoruba land.

9 Likes

Re: Some History On Lagos And Yoruba Migration - Nigerpeople by vicadex07(m): 10:39pm On Aug 16, 2015
Its in their blood like an unredeemable curse
totit:

grin

It's ok.
This sums it up.

There is no doubt at all that there is a strand in contemporary Igbo behaviour that can offend; by its noisy exhibitionism and disregard for humility and quietness"
.............Chinua Achebe.

5 Likes

Re: Some History On Lagos And Yoruba Migration - Nigerpeople by VickJames(m): 10:46pm On Aug 16, 2015
vicadex07:
Ode, whats the meaning of ekiti or yoruba in yoruba?

Do you know the meaning?

I'm not an ode na grin
Re: Some History On Lagos And Yoruba Migration - Nigerpeople by oladele97: 10:50pm On Aug 16, 2015
It seems this op don't know the different between Lagos and Lagos state.

The Lagos that you said was first rule is the part of the island. Am from ikorodu part of Lagos, and our origin is pure ijebu as well as epe, and others.... The awori only occupied part of Benin Republic Ogun state and part of Lagos state which is badagry

3 Likes

Re: Some History On Lagos And Yoruba Migration - Nigerpeople by Flyoruboy(m): 10:53pm On Aug 16, 2015
saxywale:

Just take a trip to ife, ilesha or oshogbo. Ibos are everywhere in those places. Lol. Let me not even mention ibadan, I had ibo friends back in oau that are naturalised ibadan.These ibos in ilu oke speak yoruba with an oyo accent. grin

Lol. Guy, you just reminded me of a remarkable experience I had in Ibadan about a year ago. I paid a visit to IITA ibadan and in the course of my visit i met with an unassuming igboman, a gentleman I might add. At a point during our meeting he had to quickly attend to a group of local farmers. Na so the guy begin converse in proper Ibadan dialect with the group. I was shocked! He later made me understand that he's lived in Ibadan since the early 80s and that while his wife and kids live in Lagos, he personally prefers ibadan. Guy, I was surprised. Even his female PA, a very fair-skinned igbo lady sef dey nack Ibadan dialect with one of their drivers. Moral of the story is that no be only Lagos dis people dey for Yorubaland, they are all over. I hope they get their Biafra coz it's like a lot of them are becoming very troublesome. They are such a troublesome lot.

1 Like

Re: Some History On Lagos And Yoruba Migration - Nigerpeople by vicadex07(m): 11:00pm On Aug 16, 2015
Am trying to show the folly of your line of reasoning. What's the meaning of english in english. What's the meaning of america in english. Whats the meaning of france or paris in french.
VickJames:

Do you know the meaning?

I'm not an ode na grin

3 Likes

Re: Some History On Lagos And Yoruba Migration - Nigerpeople by Nobody: 11:10pm On Aug 16, 2015
No mans land
elijah2u:
so, who owns lagos now, you and your tribes or yoruba? cos dz write ups is basically saying nobody owns lagos, which is not so
Re: Some History On Lagos And Yoruba Migration - Nigerpeople by VickJames(m): 11:11pm On Aug 16, 2015
vicadex07:
Am trying to show the folly of your line of reasoning. What's the meaning of english in english. What's the meaning of america in english. Whats the meaning of france or paris in french.

I bet you, the indigenes of the above places will know the meaning of these places.

The thing you're not getting is that, "eko" means something in bini but doesn't mean anything in yoruba.

Now, you get what I'm saying?
Re: Some History On Lagos And Yoruba Migration - Nigerpeople by vicadex07(m): 11:16pm On Aug 16, 2015
Do you know benin is an appendage of the Yoruba kingdom with similarities in culture, language and etymology?
VickJames:

I bet you, the indigenes of the above places will know the meaning of these places.

The thing you're not getting is that, "eko" means something in bini but doesn't mean anything in yoruba.

Re: Some History On Lagos And Yoruba Migration - Nigerpeople by Nobody: 11:20pm On Aug 16, 2015
scholes0:

And the Indigenous Lagosians he listed are what?
If everyone that migrated to Lagos are to go back to their villages, the people remaining there will still be Yorubas.... the likes of Tiwa Savage, Oba Akiolu Etc...

You're missing the point in the message.

Don't you think Lagosians will like to rule themselves instead of having an Ondo man ruling their land. I am sure if a Lagosian should travel to contest an election in Ondo state, he will be reminded that he is not an indigene of Ondo state. So why forcefully take over their land and claim it is a Yoruba land hence it is free for any Yoruba to rule.

I am speaking on behalf of the indigenous Lagosians whose voices have been drowned by the majority Yoruba migrant.
Lagos is for Lagosians
Osun is for Osunites
Ondo is for Ondoites
Yorubaland for everybody etc etc.
Re: Some History On Lagos And Yoruba Migration - Nigerpeople by vicadex07(m): 11:20pm On Aug 16, 2015
And pls for the record, english has no definite meaning in english, so also america. Am sure you can both read and understand english language which is indegenous to the english people. France also has no definite meaning in french other that it being the name of their country. Google is at your fingertips if your'e doubtful
VickJames:

Re: Some History On Lagos And Yoruba Migration - Nigerpeople by OkutaNla: 11:20pm On Aug 16, 2015
I would like to suggest that perhaps the OP and his alter-ego moniker be ignored from hereon since it's evident that they are just trolling. Besides, this topic has been debunked in the recent past. I can't help but wonder why it's only igbos that call other people's lands "no man's". It's like the race is cursed to stir trouble with their hosts wherever they're found.

5 Likes

Re: Some History On Lagos And Yoruba Migration - Nigerpeople by scholes0(m): 11:26pm On Aug 16, 2015
huangcheng:

Don't you think Lagosians will like to rule themselves instead of having an Ondo man ruling their land. I am sure if a Lagosian should travel to contest an election in Ondo state, he will be reminded that he is not an indigene of Ondo state. So why forcefully take over their land and claim it is a Yoruba land hence it is free for any Yoruba to rule.

I am speaking on behalf of the indigenous Lagosians whose voices have been drowned by the majority Yoruba migrant.
Lagos is for Lagosians
Osun is for Osunites
Ondo is for Ondoites

Did the Indigenous Yorubas of Lagos make you their spokesperson or what??
loool

1 Like

Re: Some History On Lagos And Yoruba Migration - Nigerpeople by Nobody: 11:27pm On Aug 16, 2015
eleshin:
Well m a lagosian from Epe/lagos island. My tribe and language is Yoruba, so I don't really understand the difference between the two cos Lagos is just a city in Yoruba land.

Nobody is arguing that Lagos is not Yorubaland. Lagos is Yorubaland but so is Osun, Ondo and the other Yoruba state but Lagos should be left to the indigenous people of Lagos to Govern. Can you contest an election in Osun state without being reminded that you're not an indigene of the state? You better stop this false pretense and speak up whenever the need arise before you become a slave in your own land.

Tinubu a non Lagosian now dictates who becomes Governor in your state. Ambode, an Ondo man won an election over a true Lagosian in his own land and you think this is normal. Yoruba migrants should stop stealing slots meant for the indigenous people of Lagos state.
Re: Some History On Lagos And Yoruba Migration - Nigerpeople by vicadex07(m): 11:29pm On Aug 16, 2015
Yorubas are not tribalist like ibo people who usually claim that an igboman from imo state is different from and inferior to an igboman in abia. If you're probably an igboman from anambra and you're resident in enugu, do you mean to tell me enugu igbos are going to discriminate against you and chase you outta town (well i remember this has happened in igboland for real sha).

The point is Yorubas are not as intollerant and unaccomodating as your people who would rather deport an enugu man resident in abia. I wonder how biafra is going to stand amongst you people
huangcheng:

Lagos is for Lagosians
Osun is for Osunites
Ondo is for Ondoites

2 Likes

Re: Some History On Lagos And Yoruba Migration - Nigerpeople by Nobody: 11:31pm On Aug 16, 2015
scholes0:

Did the Indigenous Yorubas of Lagos make you their spokesperson or what??
loool

Yes, they have tried many times to speak up but you migrants wont let their voice be heard. You have successfully drowned their minority voice with your much louder "LAGOS IS YORUBA LAND" mantra and have relegated them to the back seat.

Leave Lagos to Lagosians and go back to wherever the hell you migrated from. I am tired of you migrants crying about Lagos more than the true Lagosians who are more accommodating and hospitable.
Re: Some History On Lagos And Yoruba Migration - Nigerpeople by Flyoruboy(m): 11:31pm On Aug 16, 2015
huangcheng:

Lagos is for Lagosians
Osun is for Osunites
Ondo is for Ondoites

Look here you dis flattyy. Yorubas are not like Igbos of the SE where Abia sacked Imo indigenes from its civil service even though they are all Igbos. Any Yorubaman can rule Lagos, and that includes the Aworis. Nothing stops Aworis from governing Lagos since they are Yorubas like the rest of us, they just need to get more involved in the politics of the state to realize that, that's all. It's obvious that you are trying really hard to apply the SE mentality to Yorubaland. I don't expect you to understand how we handle our business since you are not one of us. You are better off sticking to SE politics.

6 Likes

Re: Some History On Lagos And Yoruba Migration - Nigerpeople by totit: 11:34pm On Aug 16, 2015
huangcheng:

Nobody is arguing that Lagos is not Yorubaland. Lagos is Yorubaland but so is Osun, Ondo and the other Yoruba state but Lagos should be left to the indigenous people of Lagos to Govern. Can you contest an election in Osun state without being reminded that you're not an indigene of the state? You better stop this false pretense and speak up whenever the need arise before you become a slave in your own land.

Tinubu a non Lagosian now dictates who becomes Governor in your state. Ambode, an Ondo man won an election over a true Lagosian in his own land and you think this is normal. Yoruba migrants should stop stealing slots meant for the indigenous people of Lagos state.

Tarrrrhh
Don't come with that yeye trick

This is ibo man for you.

Why on earth would this be seen among igbo race??

I have listen severally to igbo songs.. Which Whenever they to talk about igbo people, they will only mention ANAMBRA, IMO and ENUGU... Am

The worst part is the Gospel singers are also doing the same.... You will be listening to igbo gospel music , they will be praying to God ""Gozierem ndi onitsha, Gozierem ndi IMO, ENUGU na ANAMBRA state nine" "

WHY are they disregarding us ===EBONYI and ABIA

HAVENT WE CONTRIBUTED TO THE DEVELOPMENT OF IGBO RACE

5 Likes

Re: Some History On Lagos And Yoruba Migration - Nigerpeople by Nobody: 11:35pm On Aug 16, 2015
OkutaNla:
I would like to suggest that perhaps the OP and his alter-ego moniker be ignored from hereon since it's evident that they are just trolling. Besides, this topic has been debunked in the recent past. I can't help but wonder why it's only igbos that call other people's lands "no man's". It's like the race is cursed to stir trouble with their hosts wherever they're found.

No Igbo man will call Lagos a no man's land. Lagos is Yoruba territory but Lagos is for the indigenous people of Lagos state and not for every Yoruba migrants to Govern. Go back to your evil forests where you migrated from so that true Lagosians can enjoy their ancestral land. Lagosians are tired of the dominance by Yoruba migrants under the pretense of "We are one". They don't dominate you in your ancestral lands.
Re: Some History On Lagos And Yoruba Migration - Nigerpeople by scholes0(m): 11:36pm On Aug 16, 2015
huangcheng:

Yes, they have tried many times to speak up but you migrants wont let their voice be heard. You have successfully drowned their minority voice with your much louder "LAGOS IS YORUBA LAND" mantra and have relegated them to the back seat.

Leave Lagos to Lagosians and go back to wherever the hell you migrated from. I am tired of you migrants crying about Lagos more than the true Lagosians who are more accommodating and hospitable.

hahahaha... The Yorubas have stopped you from your "Lagos is no man's land" nonsense
And now you are talking like you have the interest of the indigenous Lagosians at heart... Lmao

For your information, Nobody can cater for a Yoruba man's pleas and demands other than Another yoruba man... So I suggest YOU should crawl BACK to whatever evil forest in Ihiala you came from, and stop trying to speak for yoruba interests when you aren't even one.

7 Likes

Re: Some History On Lagos And Yoruba Migration - Nigerpeople by totit: 11:38pm On Aug 16, 2015
huangcheng:

No Igbo man will call Lagos a no man's land. Lagos is Yoruba territory but Lagos is for the indigenous people of Lagos state and not for every Yoruba migrants to Govern. Go back to your evil forests where you migrated from so that true Lagosians can enjoy their ancestral land. Lagosians are tired of the dominance by Yoruba migrants under the pretense of "We are one". They don't dominate you in your ancestral lands.

I have listen severally to igbo songs.. Which Whenever they to talk about igbo people, they will only mention ANAMBRA, IMO and ENUGU... Am

The worst part is the Gospel singers are also doing the same.... You will be listening to igbo gospel music , they will be praying to God ""Gozierem ndi onitsha, Gozierem ndi IMO, ENUGU na ANAMBRA state nine" "

1 Like

Re: Some History On Lagos And Yoruba Migration - Nigerpeople by Nobody: 11:40pm On Aug 16, 2015
vicadex07:
Yorubas are not tribalist like ibo people who usually claim that an igboman from imo state is different from and inferior to an igboman in abia. If you're probably an igboman from anambra and you're resident in enugu, do you mean to tell me enugu igbos are going to discriminate against you and chase you outta town (well i remember this has happened in igboland for real sha).

The point is Yorubas are not as intollerant and unaccomodating as your people who would rather deport an enugu man resident in abia. I wonder how biafra is going to stand amongst you people

Hypocrisy! You change the goal post whenever it favors you. How many Lagosians have Governed your state? How many non-indigene have Governed any Yoruba state? So why is it normal for an Ondo man to Govern Lagosians. Nobody will take that nonsense and you know it but because it favors you, you're OK with the status quo. That's colonization by trick or false pretense.

1 Like

Re: Some History On Lagos And Yoruba Migration - Nigerpeople by Flyoruboy(m): 11:41pm On Aug 16, 2015
totit:

Tarrrrhh
Don't come with that yeye trick

This is ibo man for you.

That's why I said in my last post that the OP is applying the usual Igbo/SE/Biafra mentality to Yoruba land. The Ijebus/Epes/Ikorodus have as much claim to Lagos as Aworis, as do the Egbas also. Who are the Epes? Are they not ijebus? All these people are Yorubas at the end of the day, which is the koko of the matter and all that matter. The OP is just trolling.

2 Likes

Re: Some History On Lagos And Yoruba Migration - Nigerpeople by totit: 11:43pm On Aug 16, 2015
Flyoruboy:

That's why I said in my last post that the OP is applying the usual Igbo/SE/Biafra mentality to Yoruba land. The Ijebus/Epes/Ikorodus have as much claim to Lagos as Aworis, as do the Egbas also. Who are the Epes? Ate they not Ojebus? All these people are Yorubas at the end of the day, which is the koko of the matter and all that matter. The OP is just trolling.

I posted that for reference sake, and exposé his trick.

I 'm about to show him superiority as i'll as well create a thread "anambra against imo etc
Watch out grin
Anyone can as well do that on my behalf grin

2 Likes

Re: Some History On Lagos And Yoruba Migration - Nigerpeople by anulaxad(m): 11:44pm On Aug 16, 2015
huangcheng:

Hypocrisy! You change the goal post whenever it favors you. How many Lagosians have Governed your state? How many non-indigene have Govern any Yoruba state? So why is normal for an Ondo man to Govern Lagosians. Nobody will take that nonsense and you know it but because it favors you, you're OK with the status quo. That's colonization by trick or false pretense.

Ambode was born and is from Lagos so is Tinubu. lipsrsealed

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akinwunmi_Ambode

Stop spreading lies.

3 Likes

Re: Some History On Lagos And Yoruba Migration - Nigerpeople by Nobody: 11:45pm On Aug 16, 2015
scholes0:

hahahaha... The Yorubas have stopped you from your "Lagos is no man's land" nonsense
And now you are talking like you have the interest of the indigenous Lagosians at heart... Lmao

For your information, Nobody can cater for a Yoruba man's pleas and demands other than Another yoruba man... So I suggest YOU should crawl BACK to whatever evil forest in Ihiala you came from, and stop trying to speak for yoruba interests when you aren't even one.

Stick to the topic or shut the Bleep up. We know the diversionary trick.

The Indigenous people of Lagos state is asking you migrants to go back to Oshogbo the land of brown roof and let them enjoy the vast opportunities their land provide. I have never seen a true Lagosian talk about "hosting" anyone in their land, even Jimi Agbaje co-exist with the Igbos and we love him to our bone but you Yoruba migrants from Ogbomosho won't let us rest. Always disturbing the peace of this lovely place.

Please you all should just head back to your evil forest once and for all so that we can live in peace with the hospitable Lagosians.
Re: Some History On Lagos And Yoruba Migration - Nigerpeople by Flyoruboy(m): 11:46pm On Aug 16, 2015
huangcheng:

Hypocrisy! You change the goal post whenever it favors you. How many Lagosians have Governed your state? How many non-indigene have Govern any Yoruba state? So why is normal for an Ondo man to Govern Lagosians. Nobody will take that nonsense and you know it but because it favors you, you're OK with the status quo. That's colonization by trick or false pretense.

Guy, can you just Shut the fvck up and mind your Igbo bizness? Why are you crying more than the bereaved? Your real headache is the fact that it has finally dawned on you that as an igboman you will always remain a stranger in Lagos /Yorubaland, same as I'll always be in igboland as a Yorubaman. When you all get your Biafra (by God's grace), you will surely fond your square root across the Niger along with your fellows. Don't worry, keep praying, it will happen soon.

2 Likes

Re: Some History On Lagos And Yoruba Migration - Nigerpeople by Nobody: 11:47pm On Aug 16, 2015
huangcheng:

And how is this the headache of an ibo man? grin

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Interesting FACTS About Nigerians By Tribes That Will Make You Laugh & Frown / Insecurity: 5 Sokoto LGs Under Bandits, Terrorists’ Siege / FG, Labour Meeting To Hold Next Week

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.