Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,472 members, 7,812,450 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:34 PM

Education Statistics in Nigeria (Who is Going to School ?) - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Education Statistics in Nigeria (Who is Going to School ?) (29341 Views)

'Even Jesus Christ Did Not Go To School' – APC Defends Ortom / Amah Daniel, Youngest DPO In Nigeria, Who Wowed The IGP, Idris [SEE PICS] / Man To Atiku: You Sent Your Daughter Abroad To School While You Own A University (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Education Statistics in Nigeria (Who is Going to School ?) by Adelaide2: 3:53pm On Aug 18, 2015
GOAL 2: ACHIEVE UNIVERSAL PRIMARY EDUCATION

Target 2A: Ensure that, by 2015, children everywhere, boys and girls alike, will be able to complete a full course of primary schooling.

Indicator 2.1: Net enrolment in primary education.

In 2014, The states with very high attendance ratios included Anambra (94%), Delta (92.80), Imo (90.7), Lagos (92), Ondo (92.4), Osun (91.6), Edo (91.0), Ekiti (93.6) and FTC (94.1) while the least were Bauchi (29.9), Sokoto (24.80), Yobe (23.7), Zamfara (37.80).

At the national level, the net attendance ratio was 61% in 2008 and it increased to 71% in 2012. In 2014, there was a shortfall of 2.3% and the net attendance for 2014 thus dropped to 68.7%. When classified by sectors, net attendance in the urban (84.3%) was much higher than in the rural areas (62.2%). Across the geopolitical zones, it was very encouraging in the South East (90.5%), South South (88.1%), South West (87%) and North Central (80.2%). But in the North West (50.5%) and particularly North East (42.5%) net attendance was not impressive.
Although 100% attendance is expected, the result shows that Nigeria is on track.

Indicator 2.2: Primay Six Completion Rate

Nationally completion rate according to fig. 2.2 in 2004 was 82%. It increased to 87.7% in 2012 and dropped to 74.0 in 2014. Within the 2014, the completion rate was higher in the urban (84.4%) when compared with the rural (69.7). In the zones, completion rate was highest in South East (98.7%) zone, followed by South West (94.1%). Primary six completion rate was poorest in the North East (49.5%) zone. Nigeria is also on track.

Indicator 2.3: Literacy rate of 15 – 24 years, women

The literacy rate of youth women between 2004 and 2014 at the national level increased from 60.4% in 2004 to 80% in 2008. In 2012, it declined to 66%. Although it slightly appreciated in 2014 (66.7%), but that is insignificant. At the state level, literacy of youth women aged 15 – 24 was very encouraging in states like Rivers (98%), Enugu (97%), Imo (95%), Akwa Ibom (95%), Delta (94.1%), Anambra (93%), Ekiti (92.7%), Abia (91.3%). Conversely, literacy rate among woman of age 15 – 24 was poor in Sokoto (10.7%), Bauchi (13%), Yobe (16%) etc.

Sectorally, the survey showed that there were more literate youth women (85.3%) in the urban as against the 57.8% recorded in the rural areas. In the zones the literate youth women in the South East (93.5%) were much higher than the rest of the zones. North East (33.0%) and North West (35%) had the lowest percentage of literate youth women in 2014.

https://www.nairaland.com/2287060/yorubas-truly-most-educated-nigeria/1#33299342

7 Likes

Re: Education Statistics in Nigeria (Who is Going to School ?) by baralatie(m): 4:46pm On Aug 18, 2015
at least the northern states is a settled issue.
they don't want to read and PMB is definitely not interested in pursuing any educational policy to carry national education forward.
95%-5% tag stuff
Re: Education Statistics in Nigeria (Who is Going to School ?) by Afam4eva(m): 4:48pm On Aug 18, 2015
scholes0:

Literacy is the Ability to read and Write in any Language.
does not have to be English... Have that at the back of your mind.

That being said, I do believe there are some states where young people within a certain age bracket are able to do basic reading and writing in English, at levels up to 90% You don't have to be Achebe, Ngugi or Soyinka to be defined as being literate.
Literacy rate in Nigeria hovers at around 60%, because some very populous northern states have abysmally low rates.
But then, this is Youth literacy, not all round literacy. So, one would expect it to be higher. Think about it.
Of course, the north is responsible for the 60% figure. If you remove the north, I will put the figure at 70% - 80%.

BTW, as it pertains to the definition of literacy, we are all aware that there is no definite definition. Not even the popular one that defines literacy as being able to read suffices. Since, we are basing this on education then I can we can define it as anyone who has finished a secondary education.
Re: Education Statistics in Nigeria (Who is Going to School ?) by FKO81(m): 4:50pm On Aug 18, 2015
Nigerian Universities Commission has a record of the state with the largest number of professors the state is Imo State followed by Ondo State and Anambra State; the next state is Ekiti.

2 Likes

Re: Education Statistics in Nigeria (Who is Going to School ?) by kettykings: 5:33pm On Aug 18, 2015
Afam4eva:

Why do you think so. State your reasons, only then can we learn from each other.

I have more authentic statistics from the NYSC mobilisation for each state of Nigeria which differs in content from what was declared by the poster
Re: Education Statistics in Nigeria (Who is Going to School ?) by Afam4eva(m): 5:36pm On Aug 18, 2015
kettykings:

I have more authentic statistics from the NYSC mobilisation for each state of Nigeria which differs in content from what was declared by the poster
Were the same variables used?
Re: Education Statistics in Nigeria (Who is Going to School ?) by scholes0(m): 6:05pm On Aug 18, 2015
Adelaide2:
This is fake

In the current statistics and consistently for the past several years SE has been leading. See links here

Do you know the difference between total literacy and Youth literacy at all?

This is the actual raw data, the report from BBC which you are quoting is based upon (Demography and heath survey 2013)

Educational attainment (Male)

Educational Attainment (Female)

The report shows two things:

1: The SS was the most Educated Zone of the country, on Average.
2: The SW pursues their educational careers to the highest levels, for both Males and Females.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Education Statistics in Nigeria (Who is Going to School ?) by scholes0(m): 6:07pm On Aug 18, 2015
kettykings:

So NYSC mobilization is now supposed to show youth literacy in a state?
take for example, an SSS3 graduate is already literate, but of course can't serve. And many other factors.
Some of you guyz....ehh
Re: Education Statistics in Nigeria (Who is Going to School ?) by FKO81(m): 6:17pm On Aug 18, 2015
scholes0:

So NYSC mobilization is now supposed to show youth literacy in a state?
take for example, an SSS3 graduate is already literate, but of course can't serve. And many other factors.
Some of you guyz....ehh

According to UN reports on MDG 2014
Literacy Among Young Women Aged 15-24

Sectorally, the survey showed that there were more literate youth women (85.3%)
in the urban as against the 57.8% recorded in the rural areas. In the zones the
literate youth women in the South East (93.5%) were much higher than the rest of
the zones. North East (33.0%) and North West (35%) had the lowest percentage of
literate youth women in 2014.

3 Likes

Re: Education Statistics in Nigeria (Who is Going to School ?) by scholes0(m): 6:22pm On Aug 18, 2015
FKO81:

According to UN reports on MDG 2014
Literacy Among Young Women Aged 15-24

Sectorally, the survey showed that there were more literate youth women (85.3%)
in the urban as against the 57.8% recorded in the rural areas. In the zones the
literate youth women in the South East (93.5%) were much higher than the rest of
the zones. North East (33.0%) and North West (35%) had the lowest percentage of
literate youth women in 2014.

And for the MEN?
Literacy for Women is an MDG goal, as part of the gender equality assessment, literacy for male youth is not.
Re: Education Statistics in Nigeria (Who is Going to School ?) by YonkijiSappo: 6:37pm On Aug 18, 2015
scholes0:

This is the actual raw data, from the report from the data used by the BBC

Educational attainment (Male)

Educational Attainment (Female)

2: The SW pursues their educational careers to the highest levels, for both Males and Females.

I was about to ask for this.... But thank God, you posted it.
I agree with the findings.

1 Like

Re: Education Statistics in Nigeria (Who is Going to School ?) by khalleb(m): 6:51pm On Aug 18, 2015
ahaz:
una don see am?let me see any noise maker from the south west that will come here and claim education superiority.sai south south
brb
Re: Education Statistics in Nigeria (Who is Going to School ?) by Francis5: 7:00pm On Aug 18, 2015
[quote author=scholes0 post=37092432]

This is the actual raw data, from the report from the data used by the BBC

2: [b]The SW pursues their educational careers to the highest levels, for both Males and Females.[/[/b]quote]

There are several levels of highest level. JAMB data shows Igbos leading by far in the first of the highest levels (AKA Bachelor/HND). But there is no data for MSc and PhD levels. Stop claiming crap. Most of the students you see in Nigerian universities in the SE, SW, SS and N are Igbos.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Education Statistics in Nigeria (Who is Going to School ?) by FKO81(m): 7:03pm On Aug 18, 2015
scholes0:

And for the MEN?
Literacy for Women is an MDG goal, as part of the gender equality assessment, literacy for male youth is not.

[b]ACHIEVE UNIVERSAL PRIMARY EDUCATION
Civilization and Development are intertwined. Both of them leverage very much on
education. Education is a weapon for liberation from ignorance and diseases. Hence,
it cannot be isolated from any development agenda as it is the pivot upon which
several other programs rotate. Although the emphasis is on achieving primary
education, but it has to be realized that to sustain progress towards other goals such
as full employment, poverty reduction, health related programs, etc, attention
should be extended beyond primary education.

Target 2A: Ensure that, by 2015, children everywhere, boys and girls alike,
will be able to complete a full course of primary schooling.
Indicator 2.1: Net enrolment in primary education.
At the inception of the MDGs, countries were advised to domesticate the indicators
to suit their experience. Thus, each country had the privilege of identifying the
indicators whose content and estimation procedure were either not applicable to
them or completely out of context. In Nigeria, the computation of the primary school
net enrolment ratio has faced some challenges because it involves a complete
census of both private and public primary schools. Consequent upon this, the net
attendance ratio estimated from household survey is adopted as a proxy in this
report.
In 2014, fig. 2.1 below shows the net attendance ratio according to their distribution
by state. The states with very high attendance ratios included. Anambra (94%),
Delta (92.cool, Imo (90.7), Lagos (92), Ondo (92.4), Osun (91.6), Edo (91.0), Ekiti
(93.6) and FTC (94.1) while the least were Bauchi (29.9), Sokoto (24.cool, Yobe (23.7),
Zamfara (37.cool.

At the national level, the net attendance ratio was 61% in 2008 and it increased to
71% in 2012. In 2014, there was a shortfall of 2.3% and the net attendance for 2014
thus dropped to 68.7%. When classified by sectors, net attendance in the urban
(84.3%) was much higher than in the rural areas (62.2%). Across the geopolitical
zones, it was very encouraging in the South East (90.5%), South South (88.1%),
South West (87%) and North Central (80.2%). But in the North West (50.5%) and
particularly North East (42.5%) net attendance was not impressive. Although one
hundred per cent enrolment and attendance are expected of children within this
cohort, the achievement within the sub regions shows that Nigeria is on track of
meeting the target.
Completion rate is very important in Primary School education as it marks the
beginning of transition to secondary school. Children often enroll without attending
due to one challenge or the other. Those of them who eventually commence
attending may withdraw or drop out without completing. This underpins the
education indicator defined as ‘Proportion of pupils starting grade one and reaching
final grade’. Final grade in this context is the completion grade.
Nationally completion rate according to fig. 2.2 in 2004 was 82%. It increased to
87.7% in 2012 and dropped to 74.0 in 2014. Within the 2014, the completion rate
was higher in the urban (84.4%) when compared with the rural (69.7). In the zones,
completion rate was highest in South East (98.7%) zone, followed by South West
(94.1%). Primary six completion rate was poorest in the North East (49.5%) zone.
Nigeria is also on track.[/b]
www.nigerianstat.gov.ng/pages/download/5

Worst sin human being can do to him/her self is self denial, for how long? This survey was conducted by UN and National bureau of statistics adopted it,The figures you are posting why not from NBS? All the statistics South eastern states are leading other region, Primary school ,Secondary enrollments, WAEC, NECO, JAMB and Federal Office of Statistics on education, showing that 3 Igbo states for the past 14 years have constantly had the largest number of graduates in the country,

2 Likes

Re: Education Statistics in Nigeria (Who is Going to School ?) by scholes0(m): 7:09pm On Aug 18, 2015
FKO81:

ACHIEVE UNIVERSAL PRIMARY EDUCATION

In 2014, fig. 2.1 below shows the net attendance ratio according to their distribution
by state. The states with very high attendance ratios included. Anambra (94%),
Delta (92.cool, Imo (90.7), Lagos (92), Ondo (92.4), Osun (91.6), Edo (91.0), Ekiti
(93.6) and FTC (94.1) while the least were Bauchi (29.9), Sokoto (24.cool, Yobe (23.7),
Zamfara (37.cool.

Worst sin human being can do to him/her self is self denial, for how long? This survey was conducted by [b]UN and National bureau of statistics adopted it,The figures you are posting why not from NBS? All the statistics South eastern states are leading other region, Primary school ,Secondary enrollments, WAEC, NECO, JAMB and Federal Office of Statistics on education, showing that 3 Igbo states for the past 14 years have constantly had the largest number of graduates in the country

The figures I have posted in making that map (second data set) are from the National Bureau of statistics. So I don't know what you mean.
Re: Education Statistics in Nigeria (Who is Going to School ?) by Francis5: 7:12pm On Aug 18, 2015
scholes0:

The figures I have posted are from the National Bureau of statistics. So I don't know what you mean.

where is your link?
Re: Education Statistics in Nigeria (Who is Going to School ?) by FKO81(m): 7:12pm On Aug 18, 2015
scholes0:

The figures I have posted are from the National Bureau of statistics. So I don't know what you mean.
show me your link
Re: Education Statistics in Nigeria (Who is Going to School ?) by scholes0(m): 7:19pm On Aug 18, 2015
Francis5:

where is your link?

here:

From one of their PDF's

https://dhsprogram.com/pubs/pdf/FR293/FR293.pdf
Re: Education Statistics in Nigeria (Who is Going to School ?) by Francis5: 7:25pm On Aug 18, 2015
scholes0:

here:

From one of their PDF's

This is not from NBS. YOU ARE POSTING FAKE DATA

3 Likes

Re: Education Statistics in Nigeria (Who is Going to School ?) by scholes0(m): 7:28pm On Aug 18, 2015
FKO81:

show me your link

This is from the same link I already provided
But I bet, if someone else makes a thread showing that The South West had the richest urban profile in Nigeria, you lot will flood it with the worst pics of Ogbomoso, Lagos and Ibadan you can find online.

Re: Education Statistics in Nigeria (Who is Going to School ?) by FKO81(m): 7:32pm On Aug 18, 2015
scholes0:

here:

From one of their PDF's

I pity your generation, so that's your NBS link?
Can you copy NBS link and do your research, help your generation not fabricating figures to please your people
Re: Education Statistics in Nigeria (Who is Going to School ?) by scholes0(m): 7:40pm On Aug 18, 2015
FKO81:

I pity your generation, so that's your NBS link?
Can you copy NBS link and do your research, help your generation not fabricating figures to please your people

DUDE, what I posted there is straight from the NATIONAL POPULATION COMMISSION, ABUJA.
The federal parastatal that provides the Information the statistics bureau (NBS) uses.

I bet you probably do not know that the NBS obtains it's data from the various independent federal agencies like the ministry of Agriculture, Trade, Industry, Works & Housing, Population commission, Military, Etc. You probably think their figures fall from thin air.

Don't believe it.... none of my business.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Education Statistics in Nigeria (Who is Going to School ?) by YonkijiSappo: 7:46pm On Aug 18, 2015
scholes0:

This is from the same link I already provided
But I bet, if someone else makes a thread showing that The South West had the richest urban profile in Nigeria, you lot will flood it with the worst pics of Ogbomoso you can find online.

Chaaaiiiii.....
I am so going to be using this on Nairaland.... lol new weapon in my arsenal.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Education Statistics in Nigeria (Who is Going to School ?) by scholes0(m): 7:50pm On Aug 18, 2015
YonkijiSappo:

Chaaaiiiii.....
I am so going to be using this on Nairaland.... lol new weapon in my arsenal.

Use it for the enlightenment of the masses..... smiley
Re: Education Statistics in Nigeria (Who is Going to School ?) by FKO81(m): 7:52pm On Aug 18, 2015
scholes0:

DUDE, what I posted there is straight from the NATIONAL POPULATION COMMISSION, AUJA.
The federal parastatal that provides the Information the statistics bureau (NBS) uses.

I bet you probably do not know that the NBS obtains it's data from the various independent federal agencies like the ministry of Agrica, trade, Industry, Population commission Military, Etc. You probably think their figures fall from thin air.

Don't believe it.... none of my business.
you're "unrepentant pathological liar" can you hear yourself NATIONAL POPULATION COMMISSION? Give me link from NBS that will direct me to the page, stop disgracing yourself

2 Likes

Re: Education Statistics in Nigeria (Who is Going to School ?) by atlwireles: 7:58pm On Aug 18, 2015
Who compiled this data?

3 Likes

Re: Education Statistics in Nigeria (Who is Going to School ?) by scholes0(m): 7:58pm On Aug 18, 2015
FKO81:

you're "unrepentant pathological liar" can you hear yourself NATIONAL POPULATION COMMISSION? Give me link from NBS that will direct me to the page, stop disgracing yourself

http://www.nigerianstat.gov.ng/nada/index.php/catalog/27
http://www.population.gov.ng/
Re: Education Statistics in Nigeria (Who is Going to School ?) by FKO81(m): 7:59pm On Aug 18, 2015
atlwireles:
Who compiled this data?
Oluwale boys grin

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

PDP Campaign Rally In Ekiti State- Photos / PDP Alerts INEC Of Moves To Replace Results In Edo North / Uduaghan On His Knees As He Visits Olu Of Warri (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.