Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,600 members, 7,809,183 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:30 AM

Nigerian Recipes - Food (21) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Nigerian Recipes (348175 Views)

Best Method For Preparing Noodles.lets Exchange Recipes With(out) Pictures / Recipes For Some Igbo Soups / Exciting Recipes With Indomie! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (35) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Recipes by bece: 2:23pm On Oct 10, 2008
pls can someone helpabout small chops or finger food apart from samosa,spring roll and puff puff
Re: Nigerian Recipes by bece: 2:33pm On Oct 10, 2008
can somebody post some smallchop recipe
Re: Nigerian Recipes by QueenAnais(f): 2:58pm On Oct 10, 2008
Thanks Amaka,
Re: Nigerian Recipes by AmakaOne(f): 5:58pm On Oct 10, 2008
@ bece how about peppered snail, suya, akara, chinchin, dodo, moi moi etc

bece:

please can someone help about small chops or finger food apart from samosa,spring roll and puff puff

Re: Nigerian Recipes by QueenAnais(f): 7:18pm On Oct 10, 2008
@ Amaka,
R u in Toronto? Please email me at redbull_deuce@yahoo.ca, I have few questions for you,
Thanks
Re: Nigerian Recipes by bece: 12:01pm On Oct 12, 2008
thanks amaka1.dodo as in fried plantain or mixed with pepper and stuff like dodo ikire if u know dodo ikire.i saw ur posting on fondant icing pls do u have another recipe apart from that of usin marshmallows?
Tanx
Re: Nigerian Recipes by blackoasis(f): 1:48pm On Oct 13, 2008
hello can anyone help as what are Ataieko and igeriejae spices and in which soups i can use it?
Re: Nigerian Recipes by amyliajane(f): 2:02pm On Oct 13, 2008
they are spices used in the preparation of banga soup(palm nut) but since u're in greece dont know if u might find it there
Re: Nigerian Recipes by AmakaOne(f): 2:24pm On Oct 13, 2008
QueenAnais:

@ Amaka,
R u in Toronto? Please email me at redbull_deuce@yahoo.ca, I have few questions for you,
Thanks

Hi Sweetie, You are welcome.
No I am in the UK but one of my brothers lives there with his family.
Re: Nigerian Recipes by AmakaOne(f): 2:31pm On Oct 13, 2008
bece:

thanks amaka1.dodo as in fried plantain or mixed with pepper and stuff like dodo ikire if u know dodo ikire.i saw ur posting on fondant icing please do u have another recipe apart from that of usin marshmallows?
Tanx

Welcome bece,
I meant just plain fried planatin. that is if you are going to serve it with some other spicy small chops like suya and peppered snail. It's a good foil for the peppery stuff.

The other fondant recipes that I have are a bit labour intensive and quite expensive to make, that is the ingredients are a little expensive, and I'm not sure that they taste all that much better than the marshmallow fondant.
Try this one.

Rolled Fondant

1 Tbsp. unflavored gelatin

1/4 cup cold water

1/2 cup Glucose

1 Tbsp. Glycerin

2 Tbsps. solid vegetable shortening

2 lbs. confectioners sugar

2-3 drops liquid food color/flavoring, as desired

Combine gelatin and cold water, let stand until thick. Place gelatin mixture in top of double boiler & heat until dissolved.
Add glucose and glycerin, mix well.
Stir in shortening and just before completely melted, remove from heat.
Mixture should cool until lukewarm.

Next, place 1 lb. confectioners sugar in a bowl and make a well.
Pour the lukewarm gelatin mixture into the well and stir with a wooden spoon, mixing in sugar and adding more, a little at a time until stickiness disappears. Knead in remaining sugar, icing color and flavoring.
Knead until the fondant is smooth, pliable and does not stick to your hands.
If fondant is too soft add more sugar; if too stiff, add water a drop at a time.
Use fondant immediately or store in airtight container in refrigerator.
When ready to use, bring to room temperature and knead again until soft.
This recipe yields enough to cover a 10" X 3" high cake.
Re: Nigerian Recipes by bece: 8:13pm On Oct 15, 2008
hi everyone i need advice i just quit my job as a banker cos the stress was really eating me up.i love cooking and people commend my cooking a lot infact i do cook for friends birthday and small parties but my problem now is i want to open a resturant something like a la carte.but people are discouraging me that it is only "strong" people that open resturant and that u need to be a little fetish before things can happen.Pls is this really true?
Re: Nigerian Recipes by AmakaOne(f): 8:35am On Oct 16, 2008
@ bece sorry about your job. be strong.
when one door closes , God will alwys open another.
about the fetish, do you mean putting juju in the food?
Re: Nigerian Recipes by bece: 12:22pm On Oct 16, 2008
Thanks Amaka1 I dont really know sha but i guess to draw customer i never bothered to ask them further question.
Re: Nigerian Recipes by blackoasis(f): 9:44pm On Oct 17, 2008
thanks amyliajane we have African shops here but i don't know if i can really find the ingredients. i cook Nigerian soups but is the first time i will cook banga soup and i want to make it right cause is a very sweet soup.
Re: Nigerian Recipes by omoge(f): 11:19pm On Oct 17, 2008
do not let people deceive you. there is nothing to draw customers only good food. make healthy good meals.

as long as they eat and feel good, they will always come back. nothing like poison to make or draw customer to you.

those things they call juju might as well be battery acid or some igbe and piss mix together.

have a clean place, nice meals, discount to customers, peppery and non peppery food, cheerful exuberance etc you will have so many pple come eat at your eatery.

cheers, goodluck and God bless you.
Re: Nigerian Recipes by bece: 12:27pm On Oct 18, 2008
Thanks omoge.
Pls what is shortening can some pls explain to me.or is it like a thickner?
Re: Nigerian Recipes by dupsypage(f): 6:22pm On Oct 19, 2008
Amakaone i need a recipe for pan cakes pls.
Re: Nigerian Recipes by AmakaOne(f): 11:39am On Oct 21, 2008
@bece
shortening is any fat like butter or lard

@DUPSY

PANCAKSES
Ingredients

250ml (1 cup) flour
15ml (1 Tablespoon) White Sugar
½ teaspoon of salt
1 large egg
250ml (1 cup) milk

Method

1. Mix flour, sugar and salt in a basin. Make a well in the centre and break in the egg.
Gradually stir in half the milk – a little at a time – beating very well.
Add the remaining milk and beat for 5 minutes.
If possible, allow the mixture to stand for an hour or more, as this makes the pancakes lighter.
Give it an occasional beating during this time.

2. Melt 1 tablespoon of margarine in a frying-pan and heat it thoroughly.
Pour off the surplus, leaving just enough to coat the pan.
Pour in a very small amount of the mixture, and tilt the pan to cover it thinly with a layer of batter.
Cook over a medium heat until lightly browned, then loosen with a knife and toss or turn over with a spatula and brown the other side.
   3. Heat the fat in the pan before making each pancake, and keep them warm on a hot dish after cooking.

Re: Nigerian Recipes by abujabooks(f): 12:00pm On Oct 21, 2008
@AmakaOne,

I sent you an email now.

Did you paste the recipe for the AYAMASHE Stew or known as "Designer stew"?
Re: Nigerian Recipes by AmakaOne(f): 1:15pm On Oct 21, 2008
abujabooks:

@AmakaOne,

I sent you an email now.

Did you paste the recipe for the AYAMASHE Stew or known as "Designer stew"?

Hi there

Replied( I hope I was helpful)
Re: Nigerian Recipes by Comfort86(f): 4:38am On Oct 28, 2008
Abeg, Chef Amaka. I wan learn how to make easy n quick stew using tomato sauce and paste.  I normally use fresh ingredients and it doesn't taste half bad; but I want to make a delicious stew using just sauce, paste, red bell pepper, and habanero. one thing i am picky about, i like my stew to have a good share of oil surfacing when finished-- it look enticing. thanks! kiss
Re: Nigerian Recipes by JamaicanQT(f): 8:04pm On Oct 28, 2008
is bushmeat another word for beef
Re: Nigerian Recipes by akininNC(m): 9:37pm On Oct 28, 2008
bushmeat is not beef, it is for a lack of a better word it is wild rodent. Please don't make a face it is popular in Nigeria!
Re: Nigerian Recipes by JamaicanQT(f): 12:25am On Oct 29, 2008
Wild Rodent!!!! rats, squirrel,amstersshocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked r u being serious i always thought it was beef
Re: Nigerian Recipes by JosBoy4Lif(m): 12:07am On Oct 31, 2008
Last I heard cow is domesticated animal how e go become bushmeat, you should try donkey meat (Naman Jacki) grin

@ Queen
Holla @ me I can tell you where to get all of your 9ja food in Toronto, including suya, REAL suya with kuli kuli
Re: Nigerian Recipes by JamaicanQT(f): 4:41am On Oct 31, 2008
@JosBoy4Lif

no what i said i thought that bushmeat was another word for beef, anyway i dont believe the monkey tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: Nigerian Recipes by Temitope10: 3:28am On Nov 02, 2008
Goodness, Amaka, you're a Godsend! I just happened upon this thread trying to find menu ideas, and I can't believe it's been going for 2 years!

So I saw your Nigerian menu/time-table posted on 10/8 (I think), and I have to agree with one of the responders that it would be difficult to find the time to do all that in one week (especially for a pregnant working mum with a toddler!). I wondered if you could suggest some alternatives for quick <naija> meals (is there even such a thing?!). Some way to have variety and still maintain my sanity while nourishing my family with healthy food!

Feel free to tell me that I'm crazy and that's an impossible goal smiley

Thanks much in advance!
Re: Nigerian Recipes by JazzyJ(f): 5:28am On Nov 04, 2008
hi amaka

juz wondering
can i find these ikang ubong n Water Leaves hia in malaysia or izzit onli in naija?
secondly.
errr wut is ogbono?
plz do reply.
thnx grin

oh n great recipes
now my hubby keeps cmg bak early to eat dinner
Re: Nigerian Recipes by AmakaOne(f): 11:11am On Nov 04, 2008
Temitope10:

Goodness, Amaka, you're a Godsend! I just happened upon this thread trying to find menu ideas, and I can't believe it's been going for 2 years!

So I saw your Nigerian menu/time-table posted on 10/8 (I think), and I have to agree with one of the responders that it would be difficult to find the time to do all that in one week (especially for a pregnant working mum with a toddler!). I wondered if you could suggest some alternatives for quick <naija> meals (is there even such a thing?!). Some way to have variety and still maintain my sanity while nourishing my family with healthy food!

Feel free to tell me that I'm crazy and that's an impossible goal smiley

Thanks much in advance!

LOL I know what having little kids around the house can do to your sanity. I was babysitting my brother skids a few weeks ago, i think they may well have put me off having kids of my own sha.

This may be a bit more helpful?
this is just breakast and dinner. I assume you don't cook lunch ?
Monday
Breakfast: Toast/Oatmeal
Dinner: White rice w/beans , vegetable stew and dodo

Tuesday
Breakfast: French Toast; Syrup; Orange Juice; Milk; Hot Tea
Dinner: Vegetable Yam porridge with fish

Wednesday
Breakfast: Oatmeal; Toast, Margarine & Jam; Orange Juice; Milk; Hot Tea
Dinner: Fried rice with chicken and vegetables

Thursday
Breakfast: Cereal with eggs & toast
Dinner: Ewa Agoyin with fish

Friday
Breakfast: Plantain & Eggs
Dinner: Spaghetti Bolognese

Saturday
Breakfast: Akara w/Ogi or Pancakes/French Toast
Lunch: Ofe Nsala (fresh fish soup) w/pounded yam
Dinner: Jollof rice w/moimoi and assorted meat
Snack: African Salad/Ugba

Sunday
Breakfast: Yam & Eggs
Lunch: Okro Soup w/pounded yam
Dinner: Peppered gizzard w/dodo
Snack: Pepper soup

Most of the recipes for these foods are here on the board so that should make things much easier.

Hope this helps?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Recipes by Cayon(f): 12:12pm On Nov 04, 2008
Looking for a dessert recipes made from cassava or as some call it yucca?

Recipe for nigerian tomato stew - one that you can serve with rice.

Thanks in advance
Re: Nigerian Recipes by omoge(f): 6:53pm On Nov 04, 2008
has anyone tried Egusi and Collard green?

taste okay??

am looking for Ugwu/Ugu subs in Egusi.
Re: Nigerian Recipes by Temitope10: 9:23pm On Nov 04, 2008
now, now, having kids around can be tons of fun! you just have to get accustomed to an alternative definition of saneness, that's all smiley

Thanks a lot for the menu. I'll give it a try and see how it works out, with some tweaks of course 'cos we rarely find <affordable> yams in the pacific northwest.

Thanks much, I'll definitely be coming back for inspiration,

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (35) (Reply)

Nigerian Names Of Herbs And Plants / Cook In Your Kitchen, Take Pictures And Post It Here. SIMPLE!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.