Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,510 members, 7,770,302 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 08:51 AM

Nigerian Recipes - Food (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Nigerian Recipes (347395 Views)

Best Method For Preparing Noodles.lets Exchange Recipes With(out) Pictures / Recipes For Some Igbo Soups / Exciting Recipes With Indomie! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (35) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Recipes by michy(f): 1:30pm On Oct 04, 2006
i only know okro
i dont know the rest.

besides amaka are u ibo?
Re: Nigerian Recipes by amaka1(f): 1:32pm On Oct 04, 2006
yeah I'm Igbo from Owerri

where are you from Michy?
Re: Nigerian Recipes by cabali(m): 6:19pm On Oct 04, 2006
amaka can u do some efik stuff as well? and how do we see
Re: Nigerian Recipes by amaka1(f): 6:32pm On Oct 04, 2006
Cabali I go try.
as for seeing, hmm it wil be very difficult since we live thousands of mile apart,  more like 11 flying hours apart   grin if you are in lagos right now

I'll try to send u an e- mail sha, maybe I fit fedex some of this food to you grin
Re: Nigerian Recipes by amaka1(f): 6:40pm On Oct 04, 2006
What you need
water, broth or stock
one pound meat (some combination of stew meat, oxtail, tripe, or bushmeat); cleaned and cut into bite-sized pieces
one hot pepper, left whole (for mild soup or chopped (for spicy soup)
one onion, chopped
several periwinkles (sea snails or other edible snails -- where snails are not available clams or muscles may be used)
salt
one or two pieces dried fish (stockfish and/or other dried fish); skin and bones removed, soaked and rinsed in hot water
one to two pounds afang leaves (ukazi leaves, or similar -- outside Africa, any other greens may be substituted); cleaned, stems removed, and torn into pieces or pounded with a mortar and pestle (or crushed with a rolling pin)
one pound waterleaf (or spinach); cleaned, stems removed, and torn into pieces
one cup dried shrimp or prawns, crushed
one to two cups palm oil

What you do

In a large pot oven heat a few cups of water (or broth or stock) to a near boil . Add meat to pot. Cook for a few minutes on high heat. Add onion and pepper. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer.

While meat is simmering: In a separate pan bring a few cups of lightly salted water to a boil. Place the periwinkles in the boiling water. Cover and cook for two or three minutes. Remove snails from water. Use a pick or small fork to remove the snails from their shells. Remove the inedible hard "foot" from each of the snails. Rinse the snail meat in cool water. Drain and sprinkle with lime or lemon juice. If using other shellfish, process in a similar fashion. Add the snails (or their substitute) and the dried fish to the pot with the meat. Cover and simmer for several minutes.

Add the greens (afang and waterleaf, or their substitutes), and the crushed dried shrimp or prawns. Add more water, broth, or stock as needed. Pour palm oil into soup. Add salt to taste. Cover and continue to simmer until the greens -- and everything else -- is completely cooked and tender, half an hour or more, stirring occasionally.

cabali think this is an efik soup abi?

I go try cook am this weekend and post pics next week sometime
Re: Nigerian Recipes by drrionelli(m): 7:22pm On Oct 04, 2006
@ladex142 and amaka1:

Thank you so very much for your helpful information!! Not all of the ingredients are available where I live, so I also appreciate your suggestions as to what may be substituted. And, the pictures are very helpful, too.

I must ask, however, a few things:

1. Are the giant rats (such as shown in the picture posted by ladex142)commonly eaten as bushmeat? What do they taste like?

2. Is the cowskin eaten, or is it discarded after the cooking process?
Re: Nigerian Recipes by lovestinks(f): 3:27pm On Oct 05, 2006
Amaka1, please where can i meet u 4 this ur egusi soup and r u married if not please i ve a brother.really nice guy and all, wont mind u in my family, lol grin
Re: Nigerian Recipes by amaka1(f): 4:05pm On Oct 05, 2006
lovestinks:

Amaka1, please where can i meet u 4 this your egusi soup and r u married if not please i ve a brother.really nice guy and all, wont mind u in my family, lol grin

lol @ lovestinks I'm sure your brother wants more than a cook for a wife o!otherwise he would employ himself a cook abi?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Recipes by cabali(m): 5:12pm On Oct 05, 2006
Amaka1 the advert is getting too much. we need to see before these guys get more than interested in ur recipes grin
Re: Nigerian Recipes by amaka1(f): 6:00pm On Oct 05, 2006
lol @ cabali, I told you if we see na u go cook.
shebi I don give u all the recipe?
Re: Nigerian Recipes by pati(f): 12:06am On Oct 06, 2006
Amaka ,well done cool cool
Re: Nigerian Recipes by lovestinks(f): 10:10am On Oct 06, 2006
amaka1:

lol @ lovestinks I'm sure your brother wants more than a cook for a wife o!otherwise he would employ himself a cook abi?

true talk amaka1 but from ur pac i can see u also a pretty face, well must comment u 4 this thread really learnt a lot from it, very good going.u a STAR
Re: Nigerian Recipes by kambo(m): 1:50pm On Oct 06, 2006
such a list!
are u chef or what?!
or u cook professionally
or u just uploading a cookbook to the site
Re: Nigerian Recipes by aloib(f): 2:00pm On Oct 06, 2006
peppersoup and yam,

what u need

yam
rodo
dried ground pepper
bay leaf
garlic
ginger
thyme
water
salt
knor chicken
fish, cat fish
i dont know the quantities sha, i used to cook this in naija

cut the yam in to cubes or watever shapes, like very little sha wash and salt
cut the fish too and salt it
cut the rodo in tiny pieces, remove the seeds
pour water into the pot use ur judgement sha, as per the amount
mix all the ingridients except the fish, let the yam boil, wen almost soft, add the fish,

ur pepper soup yam is now ready, get a glass of palwine or guiness stout to go wid, make sure its pepperish sha, wats the essence, wow, my mouth is watery, hehehehe
Re: Nigerian Recipes by aloib(f): 2:11pm On Oct 06, 2006
edikainkong soup

my fav naija vegetable soup

what u need

water leaf
ugu leaves aka pumpkin leaves
stock fish
dried grounded pepper
shrimp, grind wid a blender
palm oil
pumo or cow skin
salt
knor chicken
shreded beef

soak the stock fish in hot water to soften it
cut the vegetables, into tiny pieces, wash and sieve, so the water can drain out
heat a pot and pour in the water leaf, do not add water, the water leaf produces little water when heated or watever, pour in the palm oil and add other ingridients except the ugu leaves, if u are a good cook, u would know ur taste and use ur judgement for the quantities, if its too dry add some broth of the boiled beef
the ugu leaves shouhould be the last one, use ur judgement to know wether to add water if its too dry, this soup is normally dry, so do not add much water,

after its done, eat wid ur fufu or pounded yam or eba, wel i eat it wid eba or fufu wen i cook it and my mum eats it wid rice, hehehehe
get a nice cold drink to wash it down, nice cold guiness or palmwine or watever
Re: Nigerian Recipes by cabali(m): 5:06pm On Oct 06, 2006
'cant stand the heat so, I'm a leave the kitchen grin
Re: Nigerian Recipes by amaka1(f): 6:16pm On Oct 06, 2006
kambo:

such a list!
are u chef or what?!
or u cook professionally
or u just uploading a cookbook to the site

@ kambo, maybe I just like to eat?

grin grin

ok so I have a thing for good food, it's not a crime is it?
Re: Nigerian Recipes by naijacutee(f): 2:34am On Oct 08, 2006
Amaka, please write a book. I promise I will buy. if you have a book somewhere, please lend me. These are the sort of things I need to be doing. I'm a 21 year old girl and all I do is work, read and microwave.
Re: Nigerian Recipes by ghettochyk(f): 9:13pm On Oct 08, 2006
hey amaka. can i come over for dinner? i promise i won't stay long grin
Re: Nigerian Recipes by Desola(f): 3:35pm On Oct 09, 2006
en hen! I knew Amaka had to be Ghanian because that recipe for jollof and method of cooking is so not Nigerian! Tomato paste ke? Otio. We blend pepper with onion and tomatoe together and not use tomatoe paste only.

I don't like the Rice Ghanians use for their Jollof rice either.
Re: Nigerian Recipes by amaka1(f): 8:08am On Oct 11, 2006
Ghanaian ko, Liberian ni grin

u even sabi cook sef?
Oya post your own recipe let us see

*smh*
Re: Nigerian Recipes by doubletree(f): 11:16pm On Oct 11, 2006
nice one! very very useful thread.
thank you
Re: Nigerian Recipes by segedoo(m): 9:53pm On Oct 12, 2006
@ghettochyk
ole. lol grin

more recipes amaka. we luv ém
Re: Nigerian Recipes by drrionelli(m): 11:02pm On Oct 12, 2006
I know you're all busy preparing all the wonderful foods that you've given us recipes for, but would it be possible for somebody to take time to address some questions posted by those of us who have them?

I'd like to try some of these recipes, but I need some more information about them.

Thank you.
Re: Nigerian Recipes by omoge(f): 1:19pm On Oct 13, 2006
Amaka1, thanks for all the info,
my question is, do you mean baking powder is not used in the dough? what about if you making 4cups, how do you go about the salt?
thanks,
Re: Nigerian Recipes by amaka1(f): 4:09pm On Oct 13, 2006
@ omoge are you speaking about the puff puff recipe? I use yeast so no I don't use baking powder.

@drrionelli I'm orry could you repeat your questions?

I think I missed them
Re: Nigerian Recipes by Outkast(f): 4:54pm On Oct 13, 2006
@Amaka, you're on Naijaryders
Re: Nigerian Recipes by drrionelli(m): 5:31pm On Oct 13, 2006
@amaka1:
Thank you! The questions I had are in my first post on page 2 of this thread.

BTW, stay tuned, I'm sure I'll have more!
Re: Nigerian Recipes by naijacutee(f): 11:22am On Oct 16, 2006
Ok, I made this really good sauce the other day so I thought hey, why not join the bandwagon.

Name of food : Pasta with Bolognese sauce (Ezzy style)

Ingredients
Pasta/ Spaghetti
Minced meat (Preferably beef)
1 can Tinned tomatoes (Not puree) or fresh ones if you like it fresh.(Please blend)
1 chilli pepper
Thyme
Garlic
Salt
Maggi or Knorr
Vegetables : Sweetcorn, Peas, Broccoli, diced carrots,sliced cabbage and any otehr vegetables that catch your fancy
Salt
Coking oil
Lots of sliced onions

Method:
Defrost the mince in a pan and simmer
When the mince is fully defrosted, salt,garlic and a LOT of sliced onions (perhaps a whole small sized one) and season to taste

In a separate pan, put some cooking oil and 'fry' some more sliced onions
Add your tinned tomatoes/blended fresh tomatoes
Add thyme, garlic and other seasonings according to your taste
Pour in the mince and everything that comes with it into the tomatoes

In separate pan/wok stir-fry your vegatables.
I.e put 1 tbspoon of oil in and keep stirring the vegetables as they fry

After 3 mins, pour in the tomatoes/beef mince and stir properly.
Leave to simmer together for about 3 mins

(Hope you were boiling the pasta in a separate pan all the while!. If you weren't, then boil pasta and sseason with salt in a separate pan)

As you wll see in the second picture, the pasta is hardly off the cooker before it is devoured greedily by housemates. Therfore if you have housemate, please use some odour neutralising spray outside the kitchen as everyone soon flocks to the kitchen (too keep you company as they just realised you've been lonely etc) and the food is devoured even before it comes off the cooker!

Hint: Make limited pasta so anyone who wants more will have to get up and go and cook some pasta themselves! *evil laugh*

I apologise or the poor quality of my pictures, Phone not a good x-ray!

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Recipes by cabali(m): 9:13am On Oct 17, 2006
NOW! this one, I loves!!!!!!! I am gon' try this one out 'cos it aint difficult grin
Re: Nigerian Recipes by drrionelli(m): 6:52pm On Oct 17, 2006
This pasta recipe is wonderful!  I have had this before, but am wanting to try this particular variation. 

Questions:                                                                                                   

Earlier in this thread, ladex142 posted a picture of a wild edible rat which is sometimes used as bushmeat, as I understand.  What does it taste like?  How is it best prepared? 

Also, I've noticed that cowskin is used in some of the recipes.  How much is used?  Is it eaten or discarded after the cooking process?

Thank you, and keep the recipes coming!
Re: Nigerian Recipes by cabali(m): 8:08pm On Oct 17, 2006
All I can tell u is that the cowskin is not discarded man! It is put in the soup for eating. U do not discard Kpomo(like it is called) with any reason! U just dont do that!!!!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (35) (Reply)

Nigerian Names Of Herbs And Plants / Cook In Your Kitchen, Take Pictures And Post It Here. SIMPLE!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.