Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,182 members, 7,818,580 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:12 PM

Nigerian Recipes - Food (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Nigerian Recipes (348347 Views)

Best Method For Preparing Noodles.lets Exchange Recipes With(out) Pictures / Recipes For Some Igbo Soups / Exciting Recipes With Indomie! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (35) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Recipes by mummyanne(f): 8:26pm On Apr 02, 2008
I am SORRY Lucrabasi, I dont really know the recipe you followed for the puff-puff, but did you add yeast/baking powder to the dough and leave it for some time - like 1 hour so it can rise before you season with nutmeg and cinnamon?? Am sure it will rise further in the oil if you do it this way.
For the meatpie, did you grate the vegetables you used i.e carrot, and potatoe? The grated potato must be poured in boiling water and sieved before adding to the minced meat and carrot. These will be fried in a little frying pan and seasoned with salt and maggi or knorr cubes befoe filling the rolled out dough with it.
I hope this helps - am not really a pastry expert.
Re: Nigerian Recipes by Caty47: 8:59pm On Apr 02, 2008
Thanks mummyanne, I'll give it a try, can't wait for my family to taste some!
Re: Nigerian Recipes by lucabrasi(m): 7:14am On Apr 03, 2008
@mummyanne
thanks a lot for the tips i did everything else before with the puff puff but i had no idea you had to put any cinamon or nutmeg and i did the meat pie the other way round as well still waiting on the maggi recipe from my sister thanks
Re: Nigerian Recipes by mummyanne(f): 7:54pm On Apr 03, 2008
u're welcome Lucabrasi. Also next time you attempt the puff-puff, make sure that the flour is not expired cos that would affect it's ability to riseĀ  or respond to yeast. The cinnamon or nutmeg is for taste. Some people (like me) , even add a little ginger extract for that extra spicy/tangy flavour.
Re: Nigerian Recipes by TOYNEX(f): 3:00pm On Apr 09, 2008
@mummyanne
HI,
i think this is another amaka in the house. tongue U're great gal. thanks 4 solving kitchen problems.

@Amaka,
Baby Girl,
I'm sure you've really made home for many by teaching them, I mean US, various african DISHES. thanks a million times. wink
Why did u remove ur pic 4rm ur profile? Pls put it back, and fast too. cool
Re: Nigerian Recipes by TOYNEX(f): 2:25pm On Apr 10, 2008
Its been long we keep cooking, think its time we drink something.
I have this to contribute:

EGG NOG

12 eggs, separated & beaten
1 c. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
2 tsp. nutmeg
8 c. milk
1 c. dark rum or brandy

Beat yolks and sugar until light and thoroughly combined. Add salt and vanilla. Beat in 4 cups milk. Cook mixture, stirring constantly until it reaches 170 degrees on a candy thermometer and thickens slightly (do not boil). Remove the custard from heat and stir in 4 more cups milk. Beat whites of eggs and 1/4 cup sugar. Fold into egg and milk mixture. Add nutmeg and 4 quarts of store bought egg nog and mix thoroughly. Add rum or brandy to taste. Makes about 2 gallons of delicious egg nog.
Re: Nigerian Recipes by LadyM1: 1:21pm On Apr 18, 2008
Hi Nairalanders in d food section, pls do we av anambra babes in d house? i want to make bitterleaf soupnt d normal kind of bitterleaf bt d anambra's type pls. my hussy luv dat soup n i av to make it 4 her dis wkend pls tnx
Re: Nigerian Recipes by TOYNEX(f): 4:52pm On Apr 18, 2008
HI,
Pls can anyone give me the recipe for Pepper soup!
Re: Nigerian Recipes by Aladunni(f): 5:34pm On Apr 22, 2008
Ingredients for peppersoup

Meat/Chicken/Fish (fresh water) either of these
that meat can be beef, cowleg or cowtail (cowtail is werking for me)

1 small stalk of Efirrin (Saint leaf)
1 ball of onion
Spices (already ground) check with stall that stock such
Seasoning to taste
Salt
Water (5 cups)

Wash the meat or fish or whatever you are using and bring to boil. if its beef, u can dice it after boiling.

add the spice and let it simmer

add the effirin and seasoning

if its not hot enough, you can add a little grounded pepper

add salt to taste

serve hot

please take with chilled drink

abeg i try? shocked
Re: Nigerian Recipes by rite2salas(m): 11:15pm On Apr 22, 2008
my mouth dey water oh tongue
Re: Nigerian Recipes by Aladunni(f): 10:15am On Apr 23, 2008
rite2salas:

my mouth dey water oh tongue

for which one na?
Re: Nigerian Recipes by lucabrasi(m): 3:37pm On Apr 23, 2008
recipe for flan(a cuban kinda cream drink like egg nog)

for 2 people average
4 eggs
milk
sugar
some water(little)
make caramel with sugar(melt sugar with low heat)and use it to base the pan
blend the 4 eggs,milk,sugar and a bit of water
pour in your pre based pan,add whisky i.e amarillo or any colourless alcohol
put a nylon on it and tie with a thread
bake for 1 hr and its ready

ice cream.

1 litre of milk
sugar
flavour(vanilla,strawberry,chocolate)
pinch of salt

mix together and put on low level heat till its sorta yoghurty
put in the freezer
when its almost freezing,bring out and add 4 spoons of milk again
mix together and put in the freezer again
when almost frozen,bring out,add beaten egg white to foam then stir again
put in freezer untill frozen
Re: Nigerian Recipes by Izon(f): 4:59pm On May 07, 2008
Kekefia - Ijaw dish[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]
Hi all, Nigeria has really got lots of tasty dish but one I know for certain that is both tasty and really nutricious is the meal. Popularly eaten by the Ijaws but I tell you, if you aim is to keep fit or loose some KG, then this meal should be included in your dish and the max, 3 times a week, dinner most preferably.

Ingredients tongue
Plantain - unripe (2
Perewinkle - 1 milk cup
Dry fish - 1 large unit
Onions - 2 big bulbs
Scent leave - 1 bulb
Water - 1/2 litre
Creyfish - 1 tbspn
Palm oil - 1 cooking spoon
Seasoning - (Maggi/Knorr (1cube) (salt to taste) (Dry blended pepper)

(preparing all ingredients down)
Peel plantain, wash and slice in cubes or as desired, Shred scent leave, slice onions in tiny bits, clean perewinkle and bring to a boil for 5minutes then set aside, Clean and wash dry fish to rid it of sand.

METHOD.
In a clean pot, bring 1/2 litre of water to a semi boil, pour in sliced plantain and onions and cover pot to boil under a bit above medium heat for 10minutes. Now add Maggi, dry blended pepper, creyfish, dry fish and perewinkle without stirring. Cover for to boil for 2minutes. Open pot and add the palm oil and stir then cover to simmer under low heat for 2 more minutes.
Re: Nigerian Recipes by Uche2nna(m): 5:03pm On May 07, 2008
Wow!!!! Thats my favourite dish grin grin grin

One of the reasons why I REALLY enjoyed my NYSC dayz in Ondo State. Plenty of plaintain and cheap for that matter.

Plaintain here is very costly and they look kind of sickly angry
Re: Nigerian Recipes by deto5(m): 1:06am On May 09, 2008
i have looked everywhere on the web for abbacha recipes, i can't find oneĀ  if any body finds one please post it in the thread i dey beg cry
Re: Nigerian Recipes by adetunrayo(f): 3:51pm On May 09, 2008
Which food is that? (abacha)
Re: Nigerian Recipes by beekie(f): 8:48am On May 12, 2008
abacha simply means African Salad.
Re: Nigerian Recipes by eiete(f): 7:13pm On May 17, 2008
Could someone help me out with a cake recipe please.

The ones I tend to bake here taste different from the ones'

baked in nigeria. Come to think of it I miss tantalizers.
Re: Nigerian Recipes by muyiserra1(m): 6:36pm On May 22, 2008
My God, Amaka chei!!! omo presently am in Catalunya the capital of Barcelona
God punish any white man wen ever say our food is bad.
Am salivating all over especially at the sight of the pounded yam and okro soup
even the egusi soup.
chei
Re: Nigerian Recipes by Waruno: 6:12pm On May 23, 2008
Amaka! you are the bomb! Keep on educating us on our wonderful and varied dishes.
God bless u. More elbow grease.
Re: Nigerian Recipes by Cee0: 12:36am On May 25, 2008
Hello,

I know this is about recipes, but I was wondering if anyone here could help me find an Efik dictionary or a translation book of some kind. If anyone could help me out, Id really appreciate it. Thank you so much.

-C
Re: Nigerian Recipes by Uby40(m): 3:40pm On May 26, 2008
hello House,My name is Wilfred,from Calabar.
i just bobbed into the this thread for the 1st time.
i'm hoping to learn a lot of cooking recipies that wud make me a much better chef for the futher.
i'll be glad to meet great chefs as well.
Re: Nigerian Recipes by ievbuomw(f): 11:47pm On Jun 04, 2008
One thing I have discovered about putting shrimp in fried rice is that it goes bad twice as fast, It's all about storage life,
Re: Nigerian Recipes by muyiserra1(m): 6:26pm On Jun 05, 2008
Chei!!! these amazing, those of you salivating or drooling haha abeg
make una go jaw, atleast you guy can get a real taste of AMAKA,

We that are abroad, what can we do, rather than salivate, dream of the wonderful receipe
and our belove country, finally if we can get Amaka here.

Amaka you too much, abeg try email me those food.
Re: Nigerian Recipes by bosunabuja(m): 9:19am On Jun 12, 2008
good posts
Re: Nigerian Recipes by CoolMrsT(f): 7:10pm On Jun 19, 2008
[b][/b][color=#770077][/color]THANK YOU THANK YOU to everyone who post such wonderful Naija recipes! Just got back to the US from Lagos and my heart (and stomach!) were breaking for good African food. I know how to make a few things, but this thread will greatly expand my cookbook! Thank you especially to whoever posted the egg roll recipe, I had never had them until this time and whew they are sooooooooooooo good! I am also now an egusi soup addict, now all I hope is I can find a good source in the US to get all the ingredients I need to make it properly. Keep the recipes coming, abeg!
Re: Nigerian Recipes by firestar(f): 7:56pm On Jun 20, 2008
INGREDIENTS

Tapioca, 900g

1 Coconut flesh(grated) and its milk(seived)

4 Bay leaves

Cloves(a pinch)
water

METHOD:

Soak Tapioca overnight. In the morning, after rinsing the seasonings, place them in a pot and add 1/2 glass of water. Bring to boil. Seive off the leaves and cloves. Then add to extract tapioca and cook till the granules are almost transparent. Slow the heat and add coconut milk and 1 tsp of the flesh. Cook until the milk is incorporated into the tapioca, and by then is totally transparent.
To sweeten, add sugar, honey, or syrup. For a more creamy custard, add milk (unsweetened)

P.S. Do not stir the custard too much as this will make it messy
As for the remaining coconut flesh, you could make it into a snack by adding it to warm syrup in a pan/wok and stir consistently till the flakes golden and sticky. Mold into balls while still warm, then leave on a rack to set. ENJOY!

[color=#990000][/color]
Re: Nigerian Recipes by tearface(f): 8:58pm On Jun 21, 2008
Ingredients
Coconut 1 whole
Milk 1 tin
Sugar to taste
Corn flour 2 tbsps
Water 2 cups
Method
Grate the coconut and blend with the 2 cups of water.Sieve the blended coconut in a pot and put to boil.Mix the corn flour with about 2 tbsps of water.Make sure the coconut boils and then you add the mixed flour stirring through out.Let boil for 2 mins,then add the milk and Sugar.Remove from heat.Serve hot.
Re: Nigerian Recipes by kidub: 11:46pm On Jun 24, 2008
Hi i need a recipe for banga soup
Re: Nigerian Recipes by bdaf(m): 2:13pm On Jun 26, 2008
m thirsty
m hungry
m huhuhuh

somebody should pls come to my aid
with a plate of

eba and egusi soup
Re: Nigerian Recipes by Nobody: 2:49pm On Jun 28, 2008
really great recipess people, anyway, does anyone know how to make AADUN (is that how you spell it?). Can i find the ingredients in London?

Thanks
Re: Nigerian Recipes by epado: 1:27pm On Jul 02, 2008
I was reading the forum right from start. First I must commend Amaka1, she is brillant and for that person to be so mean at making a point was reading sad. The girl said that some recipes werent hers right from the start (abi u no fit read) Amaka1 dont worry if u dont come back I understand. As for me I wont be looking at other people's recipe, they dont work!!!!!! We Nigerians need to be polite sometime, angry

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (35) (Reply)

Nigerian Names Of Herbs And Plants / Cook In Your Kitchen, Take Pictures And Post It Here. SIMPLE!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.