Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,308 members, 7,850,121 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 02:36 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (25) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4475950 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) ... (3688) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 7:19pm On Sep 11, 2015
EgunMogaji:

Proud member of #TeamNoMercy

There's only going to be one person alive to tell the police a lullaby. Guess who? grin

The cowboy

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 7:27pm On Sep 11, 2015
3strike:

The cowboy
baba how far with your project? Hope e dey go well..

Enjoy ur weekend
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by darenyx(m): 7:32pm On Sep 11, 2015
customised87:
Hello house..pls can a foundation of 3bedroom house be converted to 4 bedroom bugallow?do we need to break d existing one and start d 4 bedroom afresh? Thanks

It very possible, although it depends on what yoou already have on ground... if you have a plan available, it would make the conversion easier..m
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 7:40pm On Sep 11, 2015
Elder Madam Gabby asked me to share what I thnk is safe (r) to use to treat wood.

This was in response to my alarm in using known cancernogenic materials like kerosene and used diesel oils in treating/protecting wood from termites on another thread.

Here's one of the potential candidates that I may use. Two things (1) it still has chemicals in it, in needs to have chemicals to kill termites BUT this is determined safe by USA's EPA when used as intended and (2) I am building a private retirement home and not a commercial property so cost is not a deal killer when it comes to safety of my family.

I presonally will be going into my rafters a lot to run wires, cables etc so my needs may be different from others. I do not want to be working with diesel or kerosene fumes.

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/boracare-p-100.html

*Emits no VOCs (volatile organic compounds).

*Qualifies builders for LEED for Homes points as well as points in many other green building programs.

*Boracare is the only borate-based termiticide that is EPA-registered as a primary perimeter termite pretreatment for new construction with its own product-specific field efficacy studies.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 7:45pm On Sep 11, 2015
EgunMogaji:
Elder Madam Gabby asked me to share what I thnk is safe (r) to use to treat wood.
This was in response to my alarm in using known cancernogenic materials like kerosene and used diesel oils in treating/protecting wood from termites on another thread.

Your termites for America nah "Aje-Butter Termites" o. This chemical go kill "Aje-Pako" termites for our Naija so? wink

Hajji M.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 8:06pm On Sep 11, 2015
mufutau55:

Your termites for America nah "Aje-Butter Termites" o. This chemical go kill "Aje-Pako" termites for our Naija so? wink

Hajji M.

I'm hoping others that have gone before me can guide on what they used that was effective. Diesel oil and kerosene are a no go area for me.

The way that these things work is by attacking the intermal organs. I will be surpised if the Nigerian "Omo Oshodi Oke" termites have no internal organs - lol.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abouzaid: 8:36pm On Sep 11, 2015
EgunMogaji:

I'm hoping others that have gone before me can guide on what they used that was effective. Diesel oil and kerosene are a no go area for me.

The way that these things work is by attacking the intermal organs. I will be surpised if the Nigerian "Omo Oshodi Oke" termites have no internal organs - lol.
solignum is a popular chemical used for that purpose in Nigeria
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 8:53pm On Sep 11, 2015
abouzaid:
solignum is a popular chemical used for that purpose in Nigeria

Thanks for sharing that.

I did a quick search and read up and unfortunately it doesn't seemt o meet my approval. I will keep on reading up though. i want to see where it was tested and MSDS. So far I see that is unhealthy to plants and is a fire hazard.

http://jardinedistribution.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Solignum.pdf

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 9:32pm On Sep 11, 2015
mufutau55:

Hajji M.
Termites wey wey fit chop ur car tyre if U park 4 their lane grin grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 10:59pm On Sep 11, 2015
erico2k2:

Termites wey wey fit chop ur car tyre if U park 4 their lane grin grin

Loool.. Don't make me laugh this hard grin

@EgunMogaji @gabbytabby Everything is carcinogenic these days. Everything causes cancer. (Except vegetables). Almost all these chemicals (pesticide, herbicide. Germicide etc) are harmful to man either produced in Nigeria or USA. I am sure they will tell U that only qualified persond with the right PPE should handle chemicals.

Our Solignum, DDT black oil etc also affects the internal organs of termites and other insects. If you pour black oil on a stagnant water that has mosquito larvae, it deprives them of oxygen by attacking their lungs (internal organ).

Also I'm quite sure our chemicals here have been tried and tested when it comes to killing our own species of termites n insects. Not ajebutter termites cheesy

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 11:26pm On Sep 11, 2015
I hear you, everything is at some level cancernogenic which is why I wonder why folks will intentionally place themselves in harms way when it can be avoided.

Used diesel oil and kerosene?? And some product with no certification from a trusted lab
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 3:15am On Sep 12, 2015
Pervious Concrete - Interesting Engineering

A special type of concrete with a high porosity used for concrete flatwork applications that allows water from precipitation and other sources to pass directly through, thereby reducing the runoff from a site and allowing groundwater recharge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCUfhRCFcVI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xA5H3GSSYvo

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FastShipping: 3:21am On Sep 12, 2015
EgunMogaji:
I hear you, everything is at some level cancernogenic which is why I wonder why folks will intentionally place themselves in harms way when it can be avoided.

Used diesel oil and kerosene?? And soem product with no certification from a trusted lab

That's Nigeria for you. A country where anything goes. A friend of mine travelled to Nigeria from the U.S and he told me he saw some people burning cow skin (Panmo) with Michelin tire. grin grin grin grin. When he challenged them, they told him they've been doing this for years.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 3:33am On Sep 12, 2015
brabus:
Pervious Concrete - Interesting Engineering

A special type of concrete with a high porosity used for concrete flatwork applications that allows water from precipitation and other sources to pass directly through, thereby reducing the runoff from a site and allowing groundwater recharge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCUfhRCFcVI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xA5H3GSSYvo

See I like this idea and can be useful for me in my courtyard instantly.

I've been racking my brain on how to drain the internal courtyard and will have to pay pipes to channel water outside but with this set up the water will simply self drain.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 3:49am On Sep 12, 2015
Guys, I'm in love, total love. I know it's a pipe dream but I will try to see if someone can replicate this in Ibadan to this level of detail.

16 feet with 10 and 6 feet leaves.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 3:58am On Sep 12, 2015
^^^
This is more like it. Laser cut steel gate.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by skimanski(m): 6:32am On Sep 12, 2015
EgunMogaji:
Guys, I'm in love, total love. I know it's a pipe dream but I will try to see if someone can replicate this in Ibadan to this level of detail.

Everything can be replicated. you just have to pay attention to every detail

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 7:44am On Sep 12, 2015
EgunMogaji:

See I like this idea and can be useful for me in my courtyard instantly.

I've been racking my brain on how to drain the internal courtyard and will have to pay pipes to channel water outside but with this set up the water will simply self drain.

Very simple. Just different concrete mix technique.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by LondonCool(m): 8:22am On Sep 12, 2015
Nice thread. After being a Nairaland member for 9 years and a silent reader of the property section I have decided to embark on a building project with the support and advise of lots of members here.

Building a house from abroad can be a very challenging project to accomplish. Hence, I will be opening a thread to diarise my building project at Tinapa - Calabar, a 3 Bedroom Bungalow with a 2 bedroom Penthouse later today.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by skimanski(m): 8:33am On Sep 12, 2015
LondonCool:
Nice thread. After being a Nairaland member for 9 years and a silent reader of the property section I have decided to embark on a building project with the support and advise of lots of members here.

Building a house from abroad can be a very challenging project to accomplish. Hence, I will be opening a thread to diarise my building project at Tinapa - Calabar, a 3 Bedroom Bungalow with a 2 bedroom Penthouse later today.

We are here man to render our professional assistance. just lead us to the Thread and we'll follow
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gabbytabby: 9:38am On Sep 12, 2015
EgunMogaji:

I have used an American pesticide for termite before but it did not work in 9ja. I am all for finding safer products. Some of the carpenters who know their wood say they can find one that does not need to be treated.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gabbytabby: 9:52am On Sep 12, 2015
EgunMogaji:

Nice. You might need to modify to include a pedestrian entry.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 9:57am On Sep 12, 2015
LondonCool:

Very important be there.always be there or have at least %98 control of what goes down.U can achieve so much in just three weeks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 9:58am On Sep 12, 2015
gabbytabby:

I have used an American pesticide for termite before but it did not work in 9ja. I am all for finding safer products. Some of the carpenters who know their wood say they can find one that does not need to be treated.
Depends on the location of the woods.from expirience these guys hate heights.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by smiley001(m): 10:12am On Sep 12, 2015
Thanks for Patronising us sir @EgunMogaji we really appreciate it sending us money from Carlifornia and trusting us wit it. Thanks Sir.

19tons of 3/4 granite already dilevered to @EgunMogaji's site. Though our truck couldn't reach d site, we had to offload at some 40 walking steps to d site and we hired abokis to pack & transfer it to d site.

here is my thread including @EgunMogaji's order, u can drop ur comments on d thread if u av any.
Thanks all.

www.nairaland.com/1880959/hire-dump-trucks-cheap-rate/6

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 10:29am On Sep 12, 2015
gabbytabby:
Nice. You might need to modify to include a pedestrian entry.

I'll use a separate pedestrian entry. I like that look.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 11:28am On Sep 12, 2015
gabbytabby:

Yes. There are wood types that do not need to be treated. But I would still treat any wood that comes my way (except Client says it shouldn't be done). An extra 15-20k won't hurt.
I do it because there's nothing bad wearing a bullet proof vest even though you have internal Odeeshi grin considering the war with termites might last 50yrs +
@EgunMogaji must have left Nigeria for Longggg... We are more advanced than you think.. All these chemicals have been tested by both the NAFDAC and SON. The manufacturers are Multi-Nationals too..
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by babalose: 11:30am On Sep 12, 2015
how many mm is the best iron rod to use for decking? is decking one plank or half plank?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 11:43am On Sep 12, 2015
babalose:
how many mm is the best iron rod to use for decking? is decking one plank or half plank?

A "decking" is a combination of different sizes of Iron rods.. 16mm, 12mm and 10mm.. 16mm for beams, 12mm or 10mm for runners,10mm or 8mm for rings.

Refer to your structural drawing..

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 11:43am On Sep 12, 2015
babalose:

You need a structural engineer to the do the structural design of the slab/decking for you. From his design result he will deduce the proper bar thickness ( mm) for the slab, he will also deduce the proper thickness for you.

Guessing the thickness of steel to be used, such as Y12 or Y10 (12mm and 10mm of high yield bar ) may not be structurally okay for your work or economical for the work.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 11:58am On Sep 12, 2015
KolaShangOne:

Yes. There are wood types that do not need to be treated. But I would still treat any wood that comes my way (except Client says it shouldn't be done). An extra 15-20k won't hurt.
I do it because there's nothing bad wearing a bullet proof vest even though you have internal Odeeshi grin considering the war with termites might last 50yrs +
@EgunMogaji must have left Nigeria for Longggg... We are more advanced than you think.. All these chemicals have been tested by both the NAFDAC and SON. The manufacturers are Multi-Nationals too..

You keep saying I've left Nigeria for long even though I come to Ibadan two or three times a year. Also with the advent of the internet I don't need to be in Oluyole to have my finger on the pulse of Nigeria wink

I know we have some semblance of laboratory testing at home but I just don't have respect for laboratory testing in Nigeria period. I'm supposed to trust some guy that went to some 3rd rate 5 year old apartment complex university where the "Professors" go on strike willy nilly and haven't been paid a salary in months?. Should we even thread on the bribe situation where products might be pushed through even if not fully tested? How about the electricity situation? Do labs have the full support of instrastrcutfre to do proper required testing? I don't think so, close enough is not acceptable to me and in USA I trust. I trust what I know.

When you show me that the international builders who have their reputation on the line are using your local diesel and kerosene concussion to treat lumber then I'll reconsider but until then I'll put my money on what has worked for me. You see, I have to live in the structure with my family, not some renters or the builder who would have moved on to another project.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"Council Restates Commitment To Rid Illegal Laboratories" - http://leadership.ng/news/455351/council-restates-commitment-to-rid-illegal-laboratories

"Nigeria: Scientists Advocate Use of Quality Water for Research and Analysis" - http://allafrica.com/stories/201509031192.html

"Our education standard has embarrassingly fallen—TET-FUND scribe" - http://thenationonlineng.net/our-education-standard-has-embarrassingly-fallen-tet-fund-scribe/

"More on the 65 illegal tertiary institutions" - http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/09/more-on-the-65-illegal-tertiary-institutions/

"Nigeria: Who Is Protecting the Nigerian Public From Fake Doctors and Nurses?" - http://allafrica.com/stories/201509020978.html

"Nigerian exports rejected at EU borders-SON+ - http://businessdayonline.com/2015/08/nigerian-exports-rejected-at-eu-borders-son/

“It is not enough to say agencies of government have not done enough when people export goods without letting us know. We have labs that can test agricultural products if they come to us, although no law says you should go through us before exporting, “he maintained.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 11:59am On Sep 12, 2015
erico2k2:

Depends on the location of the woods.from expirience these guys hate heights.

Out of curiosity, did you supervise the use and make sure that they followed the specific instructions to the letter?

Most of them have very specific dilution ratios and in some situations they need to be used in full strength.

Thanks.

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) ... (3688) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Riosystem, debowale2015(m), freshvine(f) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.