Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,760 members, 7,824,182 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:15 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (675) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4415402 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (672) (673) (674) (675) (676) (677) (678) ... (3671) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by write2obi(m): 8:37pm On Apr 25, 2017
earthrealm:
i saw this toilet design on another thread, i like it.
anybody seen these tiles b4 and or knows the cost?
The wall looks Spanish 2900--3200 per sqm
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Truthinlife: 1:17am On Apr 26, 2017
spyder880:

I think the most likely place you can find this is in the Mile 3 building materials market, (along Ikwerre road). I have seen some ceiling boards being sold in some of the inner shops. I usually frequent this market to pick tiles, POP materials and doors.

Find anyone who sells ceiling boards or POP materials and show him this picture on your phone, they can give you exact directions on the shop to look in.
Oga Spyder Nagwode, thanks a lot. Will go searching for it.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Otitokoropupo: 9:44am On Apr 26, 2017
Can anyone please recommend a good welder to me who can interpret a sketch for a carport by himself? He will need to be mobile and bring his welding machine/generator to site.

Also, does anyone know if there's a minimum thickness to use for pipes going into the ground. Is 2mm thickness sufficient or to prevent corrosion, its better to go up to 3mm or above?

Thanks.

P.S.: In case there's also someone like me who was looking for sizes of galvanized pipes, I found a Nigerian site online who seems to specialize in sanitary wares and had this in their collection. Its frakem dot com. There'll probably be more variety and cheaper in the markets, but at least it gave me an idea.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mavverick: 9:47am On Apr 26, 2017
Thanks for answering my question, i am looking at it from the perspective of someone who only stays in the house for a few months, right now I will have the wiring done for solar / gen & NEPA. Unless you can tell me otherwise, for a person who only stays in a house for say 2/3 months in a year, solar investment may not worth it, but obviously circumstances can change and I would still like to have the infrastructure in place.

A simple 10 - 15 KVA Gen would do, just a case of getting it serviced before landing, and I suspect a few folks might be in same situation hence why I brought this up.

abunafiu:
@ desiji sir, the lifepo4 u mentioned is the game changer. It would make lots of sense if you can own few of them. Lead acid batteries are troublesome .
I still want you to review the specs of the inverter In the link.
My fellow installers have different experience with them.
I recommend Magnum inverter sir.

@maverick, most made in USA gel batteries will give you value for money. (Trojan, DEKA etc)
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mavverick: 9:51am On Apr 26, 2017
Dont know much about this, but I think some use stainless steel, albeit more expensive.
Galvanise pipes (Original) does not rust I believe.

Be careful with Welders, tell them to do a prototype first or do it stage by stage until you are happy with it, or best visit everyday and be part of the process stage by stage. Most like to collect jobs, use your money to finish another persons job and then give you story.

Otitokoropupo:
Can anyone please recommend a good welder to me who can interpret a sketch for a carport by himself?

Also, does anyone know if there's a minimum thickness to use for pipes going into the ground. Is 2mm thickness sufficient or to prevent corrosion, its better to go up to 3mm or above?

Thanks.

P.S.: In case there's also someone like me who was looking for sizes of galvanized pipes, I found a Nigerian site online who seems to specialize in sanitary wares and had this in their collection. Its frakem dot com. There'll probably be more variety and cheaper in the markets, but at least it gave me an idea.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abunafiu(m): 9:55am On Apr 26, 2017
Otitokoropupo:
Can anyone please recommend a good welder to me who can interpret a sketch for a carport by himself?

Thanks.

If you're in KWARA state, I have a pro welder who can do it. He specializes in fabrication of designer car ports. His designs attracted me to him. In fact he has fabricated a number of solar car port for me.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Marpol: 10:19am On Apr 26, 2017
abunafiu:

If you're in KWARA state, I have a pro welder who can do it. He specializes in fabrication of designer car ports. His designs attracted me to him. In fact he has fabricated a number of solar car port for me.

Can you drop pics of his work pls?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EfeEj(m): 10:24am On Apr 26, 2017
Otitokoropupo:
Can anyone please recommend a good welder to me who can interpret a sketch for a carport by himself? He will need to be mobile and bring his welding machine/generator to site.

Thanks.

Call Mr Paul. 08066871978
He is sound. Can interprete all your drawings and fabricate on site.

Regards,
Arc. Efe
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Otitokoropupo: 10:40am On Apr 26, 2017
House,
I thank you all. More suggestions welcomed.

@abu, thanks. Unfortunately not around Kwara.

I will still appreciate any comments on my below question:

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EfeEj(m): 11:08am On Apr 26, 2017
Otitokoropupo:
House,
I thank you all. More suggestions welcomed.

@abu, thanks. Unfortunately not around Kwara.

I will still appreciate any comments on my below question:

If the site is in Lagos and on d island you need thicker cos of the salt water and please provide oxide protection against corrosion.

It's just safe to go thicker though. Corrosion will still happen anywhere.

Regards,

Arc. Efe
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by earthrealm(m): 2:10pm On Apr 26, 2017
mavverick:
Thanks for answering my question, i am looking at it from the perspective of someone who only stays in the house for a few months, right now I will have the wiring done for solar / gen & NEPA. Unless you can tell me otherwise, for a person who only stays in a house for say 2/3 months in a year, solar investment may not worth it, but obviously circumstances can change and I would still like to have the infrastructure in place.

A simple 10 - 15 KVA Gen would do, just a case of getting it serviced before landing, and I suspect a few folks might be in same situation hence why I brought this up.

methinks solar is even better for such.
remember in the western world, the summer/winter houses/cabins in the woods, its usually powered by batteries, and such systems stay dormant for months
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 7:59am On Apr 27, 2017
Lets keep this thread alive, block making in a new site.......

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by earthrealm(m): 9:53am On Apr 27, 2017
spyder880:
Lets keep this thread alive, block making in a new site.......

#droneinaction

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by alstacs(m): 10:24am On Apr 27, 2017
earthrealm:
has any one tried digging the soakaway first and using it to store water?....does it make sense?..is there a way to put temp linning/water proofing to make it not to leak?.....just thinking of the hassles of finding wia to store the geepee tank everynight after work.
sumo n gen cud b put inside car

I have done that in the past and it really helped. I was building in a remote place and I couldn't afford to sink a borehole yet. I constructed a soak away pit and it took about 10,000 litres of water . I did not add any waterproof anything oh. It was just plastered
It was very convenient cos I just got a tanker once in a while to fill it up rather than buying into smaller tanks. Rain water also gets collected into it and i did not have to buy water all the time.
In my hood, if you like paint your tank or engrave it, they will still steal it when they want.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Joebaz4real: 10:43am On Apr 27, 2017
To all the expert in the house. Please i need your help in getting the right price of wood for my roofing and nogging. The site location is in Benin and all the price i have been given is so so high compare to what i have seen some people quoted.

For Example

2x2 = #500
2x3 = #800
2x4 = #900
3x4 = #1800
1x12 = #1850

I am also being told of lenght, so the above quoted price is for a 16ft lenght while 18ft is even slightly higher. Can someone please help, I know there are some verified and good artisan and here who some people have used. Please all recommendation is welcome. Its a 5 bedroom bungalow measuring about 25.5m by 19.1m (83.5ft by 62.7ft) with this price woodwork will be so high. Oga make una help young man ooo
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by alstacs(m): 10:56am On Apr 27, 2017
Hello house. I'm just wondering what the differences are between a curved parapet and the flat one. I would like to know these in terms of ease of construction, workmanship, materials, strength, durability and aesthetics.
I got two pix for each. One was from a thread here on nairaland.
Thank you.

https://www.nairaland.com/1111260/parapet-roofing-support-building-ebonyi/5

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by InvertedHammer: 11:05am On Apr 27, 2017
abunafiu:
I want to specially appreciate Allcopacetic for his support.
Yes I used to believe I have experience in buying wires but mehn my GP drop when I was faced with reality.
This shop is called JEZICO along Taiwo Road, Ilorin.
I went in with full confidence and demanded for Coleman wires. I was convinced I was holding the original wire since Coleman was engraved on the insulation. At first I thought there was no need to inform Allcopacetic since all he said was found on the cable. I sent him pictures and then called him. When I then told him the price (9.5k Pre coil of 2.5mm), he told me he was sure I was buying the fake, I even managed to convince him that it was engraved black bra bla he said its fake. I began to sweat because it was a stressful day already. I then begged him to speak with the seller so I called back. They were both speaking igbo on phone but I am sure the guy was arguing with him and suddenly he later agreed to bring another type for 13.5k per coil. I now had the opportunity to compare both. The fake has thin copper and fat insulator while the original has thick copper and thin insulation.
That night I came back home past 10pm so I end t round my house wiring, I discovered I was sold mixtures of both original and fake.
Anyway thanks so much for the eye opener.

So I want everyone here to always buy from trusted suppliers. Don't act pennywise pound foolish.

Allcopacetic has his name in gold in this.

I also want to commend him for the accuracy in his supplies.
I was privileged to to audit the electrical materials and fitting he spilled. All was intact. The owner then said "I told you he is a man of his words ". He never wanted to audit but I insisted.
With many of you in Nigeria, Nigeria is blessed.
Pls keep it up sir.

I hope to buy my electrical fittings too soon.
I hope you now stock 3w, 5w LED bulbs for those of us who use solar.

NB: When buying electrical cables, your main interest should be the copper inside not the insulation coating.

1.5mm, 4mm, 6mm, 10mm, etc. Each one comes with Amps rating. It is all about the guage. Eg. Thicker 16mm is used to draw from electric poles to a house. 10mm is used for a/c and refrigerator outlets(15A sockets) while 1.5mm is used for electric bulbs.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by battleaxe: 2:29pm On Apr 27, 2017
InvertedHammer:

NB: When buying electrical cables, your main interest should be the copper inside not the insulation coating.

1.5mm, 4mm, 6mm, 10mm, etc. Each one comes with Amps rating. It is all about the guage. Eg. Thicker 16mm is used to draw from electric poles to a house. 10mm is used for a/c and refrigerator outlets(15A sockets) while 1.5mm is used for electric bulbs.

Uncle, while not taking away from your above excellent points, cable insulation is equally important. There is a reason insulation resistance rests are carried out on cables.

Just wanted to put that out so we don't settle for one against the other. Both are equally important.

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by InvertedHammer: 3:17pm On Apr 27, 2017
battleaxe:

Uncle, while not taking away from your above excellent points, cable insulation is equally important. There is a reason insulation resistance rests are carried out on cables.

Just wanted to put that out so we don't settle for one against the other. Both are equally important.

Thanks.

I didn't say they are not important. Unscrupulous businessmen go to China and engrave the wrong sizes on a roll of cable. The goal is to maximize profit. When 1.5mm twin with earth is engraved and sold as 2.5mm with earth, then an electrician wires it to carry a load beyond its rated ampage, the copper melts and the house goes up in flames. Insulation coating has never been an issue in the industry so it is pointless addressing it. The cables are called standard cables in the market. Don't let the term "standard" fool you. It is a dressed up marketing moniker for Chinese substandard cables.

By mere holding and bending the cable back and forth, a knowledgeable electrician or trader can tell if the size engraved on the cable is accurate.

Btw, my first choice will be Cutix cables. The factory is in Nnewi.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 7:18pm On Apr 27, 2017
alstacs:

I have done that in the past and it really helped. I was building in a remote place and I couldn't afford to sink a borehole yet. I constructed a soak away pit and it took about 10,000 litres of water . I did not add any waterproof anything oh. It was just plastered
It was very convenient cos I just got a tanker once in a while to fill it up rather than buying into smaller tanks. Rain water also gets collected into it and i did not have to buy water all the time.
In my hood, if you like paint your tank or engrave it, they will still steal it when they want.
The huastle is real in that una hood sha, make unu buy wistle Abeg grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 7:19pm On Apr 27, 2017
alstacs:
Hello house. I'm just wondering what the differences are between a curved parapet and the flat one. I would like to know these in terms of ease of construction, workmanship, materials, strength, durability and aesthetics.
I got two pix for each. One was from a thread here on nairaland.
Thank you.

https://www.nairaland.com/1111260/parapet-roofing-support-building-ebonyi/5
one needs artistic knowledge plus flex ply wood, the other needs basic plank and no flex ply wood, so cheaper.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by write2obi(m): 7:42pm On Apr 27, 2017
FastShipping . please i sent you a mail, I need you to help me out with something. Thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Joebaz4real: 11:53pm On Apr 27, 2017
Can someone help please

Joebaz4real:
To all the expert in the house. Please i need your help in getting the right price of wood for my roofing and nogging. The site location is in Benin and all the price i have been given is so so high compare to what i have seen some people quoted.

For Example

2x2 = #500
2x3 = #800
2x4 = #900
3x4 = #1800
1x12 = #1850

I am also being told of lenght, so the above quoted price is for a 16ft lenght while 18ft is even slightly higher. Can someone please help, I know there are some verified and good artisan and here who some people have used. Please all recommendation is welcome. Its a 5 bedroom bungalow measuring about 25.5m by 19.1m (83.5ft by 62.7ft) with this price woodwork will be so high. Oga make una help young man ooo
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by allCopacetic: 12:16pm On Apr 28, 2017
InvertedHammer:

10mm2 for AC ke? smiley

You're very correct. guage is very important. But much more than that, the physical properties of the conductor itself matters a whole lot.

Two things determine the Ampacity of a conductor:
The cross sectional area ( or size, or guage)
and the physical properties of that conductor.

A unit length of 6mm2 Copper conductor has much greater Ampacity than a corresponding length of 6mm2 Aluminium conductor, despite being of the same size and length. This is Because thier physical properties are different.

Processed copper exists in different levels of purity and composition which affects the physical properties they possess.
Some cables might reach or be close to the standard cross-sectional size... BUT are made out of copper alloys (with lower specific heat capacity and conductivity). They will consequently not perform as well as those with a much purer conductor.

In addition to sizing , the nature of the conductor in itself is pretty important.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by yak(m): 1:15pm On Apr 28, 2017
InvertedHammer:

I didn't say they are not important. Unscrupulous businessmen go to China and engrave the wrong sizes on a roll of cable. The goal is to maximize profit. When 1.5mm twin with earth is engraved and sold as 2.5mm with earth, then an electrician wires it to carry a load beyond its rated ampage, the copper melts and the house goes up in flames. Insulation coating has never been an issue in the industry so it is pointless addressing it. The cables are called standard cables in the market. Don't let the term "standard" fool you. It is a dressed up marketing moniker for Chinese substandard cables.

By mere holding and bending the cable back and forth, a knowledgeable electrician or trader can tell if the size engraved on the cable is accurate.

Btw, my first choice will be Cutix cables. The factory is in Nnewi.

WHERE IS SON AND OTHER REGULATORY AGENCIES IN ALL THIS? Y DO WE AV A THOUSAND AND ONE AGENCIES AT OUR PORTS?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by InvertedHammer: 2:01pm On Apr 28, 2017
allCopacetic:

10mm2 for AC ke? smiley

You're very correct. guage is very important. But much more than that, the physical properties of the conductor itself matters a whole lot.

Two things determine the Ampacity of a conductor:
The cross sectional area ( or size, or guage)
and the physical properties of that conductor.

A unit length of 6mm2 Copper conductor has much greater Ampacity than a corresponding length of 6mm2 Aluminium conductor, despite being of the same size and length. This is Because thier physical properties are different.

Processed copper exists in different levels of purity and composition which affects the physical properties they possess.
Some cables might reach or be close to the standard cross-sectional size... BUT are made out of copper alloys (with lower specific heat capacity and conductivity). They will consequently not perform as well as those with a much purer conductor.

In addition to sizing , the nature of the conductor in itself is pretty important.

It is nice you expanded on that. I didn't want to bore anyone with a lot of details on conductivity. As always, I like to keep things simple for all to understand in a layman's terms. I don't think anyone goes to the market to enquire about the purity of copper used in a cable. But you are right.

To add to it, that is why copper cables are more expensive.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by superbouck(m): 10:11pm On Apr 28, 2017
pls recommended a good and affordable roofing sheet for me
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Truthinlife: 9:01am On Apr 29, 2017
Hello Hajj, Spyder and all good nairalanders,
We are now at the stage of installing stainless aluminum hand rails. We want to start from the patios (Seat outs). We have been presented with two types to choose from for the seat outs. (Attached are sample pictures of what I mean). Permission to use these photos please.
1. Stainless and glass
2. Only stainless.
I understand everyone's "taste" differs but I need constructive ideas/criticisms or reasons to choose any of the two.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by earthrealm(m): 12:35pm On Apr 29, 2017
Truthinlife:
Hello Hajj, Spyder and all good nairalanders,
We are now at the stage of installing stainless aluminum hand rails. We want to start from the patios (Seat outs). We have been presented with two types to choose from for the seat outs. (Attached are sample pictures of what I mean). Permission to use these photos please.
1. Stainless and glass
2. Only stainless.
I understand everyone's "taste" differs but I need constructive ideas/criticisms or reasons to choose any of the two.

me likey option 1 , glass, classy too
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 1:05pm On Apr 29, 2017
earthrealm:

me likey option 1 , glass, classy too
With kids and naughty teenagers nko? angry
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FastShipping: 9:24pm On Apr 29, 2017
cc: Hajj
I am creating a thread here by middle of next week about one "Borehole Expert" who I paid to do my borehole and even gave him bonus after finishing the borehole but the borehole turned out to be nothing but nightmare.

I have been patient enough with him. The borehole only lasted a little over 4 hours since we started using it before it parked up. The said nairalander has been promising to fix the problem for almost a month now without fixing it. I have rebuffed all of his request to give him another money to go to my site to fix the mess.

If I paid someone 500,000 Naira for Borehole and gave him 30,000 Naira bonus after you claimed you finished the job and my borehole is the best in town and this said borehole only lasted over 4 hours in operation, then this person is nothing but an heartless human being. This same person told me if the said borehole should have a single problem within the first year, I should contact him immediately and he will be there immediately to fix it.

I should be creating a thread with details of evidence of promises that never happened.

I know the person reads this thread very well. Hence my post here.

I am not playing with him but he thinks this is a play.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (672) (673) (674) (675) (676) (677) (678) ... (3671) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.