Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,231 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:14 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (689) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4369958 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (686) (687) (688) (689) (690) (691) (692) ... (3662) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ice4u999(m): 7:30pm On May 20, 2017
bixton:
#3.7Million for plastering inclusive of materials and #500k+ for scaffolding and so may posts about everyone for or against it. As far as that duplex is concerned that amount is way far high. Scaffolding are either permanent (bamboo or wood) or collapsible or adjustable ( metal clamps). A good contractor or project manager will have to plan the operation to minimise the time spent at the site while doing a thorough job. We all know when mistakes occurs you'll spend twice or thrice the original amount to effect the correction. I do not think a client will scream wild fire if there's an issue with the logistics of the workers. Most times the client provides accommodation facilities to that effect. This idea of using oyibo to compare yourself while in Nigeria is highly uncalled for. If you're a professional and worth your salt you'll not be in "nairaland" forming an expatriate and seeking for jobs. This forum is actually to share ideas and not to prove you're better than others. We all have ways towards achieving our set goals. The most important thing is getting it right and making your client happy and not feeling he spent more than he should.

People come online to agrue about contractors prices and charges but one thing I just don't understand is while people won't do their own due diligence prior to giving out jobs. There are so many contractors in Nigeria both good and bad the same thing we see all over the world. As it applies every where you can't just go with a quote from one contractor, you have to at least obtain quotes from 3 - 4 and then compare apples to apples before deciding. And one thing we must all understand is that all quotes are negotiable

8 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 7:35pm On May 20, 2017
alstacs:
Hello house,
I am wondering what I should consider in the technicalities before delving into CCTV purchase.
what specifications should I think about? All I know now is I need between 8 to 12 channels. I would like to buy the unit myself, could you please guide on configurations or specifications of CCTV units that should guide my choice.

if you are in Nigeria go for hikvision or realtime...
i believe u want to be able to view via mobile and laptop. go for AHD/OR HD With cloud functions
please buy the one with house old name not the one that will be difficult to configure for remote view.

when it come to cabling. go with siamese cable (power & video) all in one make sure its pure corper.

lastly make sure you purchase central power its preferred above adaptors (this prevent your cameras against surge)

good luck

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 7:53pm On May 20, 2017
ice4u999:

People come online to agrue about contractors prices and charges but one thing I just don't understand is while people won't do their own due diligence prior to giving out jobs. There are so many contractors in Nigeria both good and bad the same thing we see all over the world. As it applies every where you can't just go with a quote from one contractor, you have to at least obtain quotes from 3 - 4 and then compare apples to apples before deciding. And one thing we must all understand is that all quotes are negotiable

in all fairness sir, you are absolutely correct

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 8:10pm On May 20, 2017
ice4u999:

With this comment, I rest my case, happy weekend to everyone, whatever you do, relax and enjoy yourselves this weekend, you all deserve it. grin

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Marilo(m): 8:55pm On May 20, 2017
I do not expect the greedy contractors to give in easily to the way they have been ripping people off.I have first hand experience on this one and I can tell you categorically that some contractors are nothing but broad day light robbers (without gun o)!

Somebody mentioned price comparison as if that offers the solution to ripping people off.I will disprove that with my experience. 3 contractors on this nairaland gave different quotes on a build after each one bad mouthing the other (and it is an irony that they are now united on this issue because behind the scene these contractors bad mouth each other condemning especially the rationality behind the charges). One of them who condemned the other so much bastardising the word "economy" (meaning the contractors is not economical in terms of the materials requirement) gave a quote that later left me in shock, thank God it didn't send me to the hospital.

When people talk, they talk as people who want the best in a win-win situation. Nobody says the contractors and by extension their artisans should not "chop" but also remember the client should not die of hunger.

It is absolutely unprofessional to bring the issue of family (oh they need to take care of their family) into contractual relationships. LET YOUR SERVICE CHARGES BE FAIR....That is not too much to ask for now...

10 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 9:21pm On May 20, 2017
twinskenny:
It is well

What is well? plastering a duplex for 3.5m or scaffolding for 550k?

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by hoyo: 9:28pm On May 20, 2017
make una no mind all these contractors jare, let dem chop, dose runz girls and slay queens will collect the money from them rub them stomach and tickle dem bearbear....datz all grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DrGoodman: 9:38pm On May 20, 2017
What is happening here? Wetin dey shele? ;

Who chop who?

Reading up
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DrGoodman: 9:46pm On May 20, 2017
What sort of thing is this? Just because Buhari messes up the economy, you guys are taking out your frustration on contractor?

E hold you for gun point say you must give him money? You are paying and crying, if you don't have money to build a house, just go and sit down somewhere. Must you all build houses? You never chop belle ful and you are looking for someone to share in your poverty.

Na so people will be trying to drink champagne on a budget of lacasera grin

And if any of you poor niggaz trying to hire contractor for 10 kobo quote me, I will shake you down to ya boots.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 10:29pm On May 20, 2017
spyder880:

OK, let's talk fairness Sir grin

Let's start from our artisans we employ to do these works, we should all be fair to them. We cannot just send these men to the warfront and expect them to perform to their best abilities in sometimes impossible conditions, while expecting them to collect peanuts from us. These gentlemen have families like all the rest of us, and they buy their foodstuff from same market as us. Fair pricing stipulates we pay them in accordance to their skill, so they will not get frustrated and steal our materials while we use the police to chase them around.

Talking fairness, let us include the governments and their lack of care for us contractors, how they abandon us to our fate with bad, terrible roads, ( I lost a rear shock absorber on my car yesterday, so I know how it feels) lack of water, security and most especially, no power. Who bears the cost of generating power when the government fails to do so? The contractors.
How about the police stopping our loads of materials to the site and demanding a bribe before allowing you move on, is this fair? Where is the fairness?

The contractors are risk bearers who must be at the top of their game to perform. Top of their health and technical demands. Everything that will go wrong in a building site is in the head of the contractors, who has no insurance from anywhere should even the cement and other materials used correctly fail. Let me ask us this question, should the contractors include insurance costs in their pricing? Insurance against loss of money, against structural failure as a result of substandard materials, against weather conditions which might make them to loose money, against delays by omo onile wahala? So, where is the fairness?

Where's the fairness in arbitrary price increases? Where you can be given N1,500 for cement and end up buying same cement for N2,100 and the contractors keep quiet and endure. Where's the fairness in other inflationary actions where the contractors cannot afford to buy what they used to buy easily before. Where's the fairness in harsh transportation costs?

Please, understand me people, the only way of measuring fairness is in the demands of the job from any particular work site and this is what the contractors try to capture in their costing. No contractors will see a good cost and refuse the job, as nobody will refuse profit. Having said this, I have seen and know a lot of contractors languishing in poverty, despite their hard work. I think an honest man deserves to be well paid for his honest efforts, I think when people work hard, they deserve to be paid well.

The clients are trying, we understand their efforts and their good intentions, we also commend them for their patience, understanding and encouragement. We wish things will get better, we wish we can do these jobs cheaper, we wish for a better, well regulated country. We wish for peace and all round prosperity for workers, contractors and clients/house owners.

Thank you all.

All what you've said is what in Business School is called "operating environment". The harsher the operating environment, the higher the operating cost. Yes I admit that Nigeria is a harsh operating environment and the composition of the hostile environment includes the building contractor that steals from clients and not before. So when you list the components that make operational cost to be high, include the Nigerian building contractor. So the narrative should be: the environment is harsh because of the sharp practices of the building contractor and NOT the building contractor "eye tear" because light no dey. So if you want to build the electricity plant that will deliver power as clients are building homes for renting families, the contractor is there to hammer. At the end, there won't be power or homes as the case may be. Ask yourself, the factors you listed are prevalent in other African countries but series of studies have shown that contractors in other African countries "eye no tear" like Nigeria. Why? Why would it cost less to build same structure in South Africa, a country with similar income with Nigeria or even Gambia, Gabon, Kenya why? I know why........their eye no open.

Harsh operating environment is always overcome with the appropriate technology. All over the world, the business environment is harsh in peculiar ways. But contractors will invest in their business and internalise the right tools of the trade and technology to solve the problems the environment throws at them and pass such efficiency savings to clients in form of competitive advantage. But with the Nigerian contractor wussai? You meet a seasoned builder of donkey years in Nigeria, ordinary "tape rule" he doesn't have, even spirit level for where? so when you engage him for a simple project he invoice you for hiring shovel, headpan, GenSet, wheelbarrow, sledge hammer, drum, rope etc. HABA!! You are a builder and these are the tools of your trade to execute a project swiftly, efficiently and good cost for the client. You will be shocked how much the hiring of headpan "upandan" adds up at the end of the day. I have opened an invoice in the past for a 6 day project to find a bill of 13k for hiring of shovel. This can't be right. Please take the game to the next level and we the fee paying clients want to see that translate to dependability, cost and trust.

6 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by earthrealm(m): 12:18am On May 21, 2017
So am about movilizing to site.
Hv not been able to get a good QS that can give me a bill of quantities for my build at a good price.

So am wondering how to do my calculations to minimize "chopping" by my builder.
Want to do foundation to lintel level.build is 3 apartments. 4br duplex+ 2units 2br.
In ph.how do i estimate or crosscheck the quantites of the various items needed..cmt.iron rod.sand.blocks etc
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by jayooh: 12:28am On May 21, 2017
earthrealm:
Hv not been able to get a good QS that can give me a bill of quantities for my build at a good price.

Want to do foundation to lintel level.build is 3 apartments. 4br duplex+ 2units 2br.
In ph.how do i estimate or crosscheck the quantites of the various items needed..cmt.iron rod.sand.blocks etc

Your architectural design and structural design are both needed for an accurate bill. Plus a you willing to pay the QS his fee, abi u want free jaab?

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 5:18am On May 21, 2017
diordaves:

What is well? plastering a duplex for 3.5m or scaffolding for 550k?
lol both
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by earthrealm(m): 5:30am On May 21, 2017
jayooh:

Your architectural design and structural design are both needed for an accurate bill. Plus a you willing to pay the QS his fee, abi u want free jaab?

Hv not been able to get a good QS that can give me a bill of quantities for my build at a good price

@bolded shud let you know am willing to pay a reasonable fee. are u a QS?, where are you located?.

@all, pls those who worked without a QS, how did you calculate the bags of cement/iron rods/sand blocks etcs...for the foundation stage?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DrGoodman: 6:34am On May 21, 2017
earthrealm:

Hv not been able to get a good QS that can give me a bill of quantities for my build at a good price

@bolded shud let you know am willing to pay a reasonable fee. are u a QS?, where are you located?.

@all, pls those who worked without a QS, how did you calculate the bags of cement/iron rods/sand blocks etcs...for the foundation stage?

Na so clients dey behave? No wonder they are screaming and fighting. You are not ready to employ a pro to give you a quote, and you already accusing your builder of criminality because you think he wants to chop you. Why not kukuma build it yourself instead of looking for somebody to accuse of theft.

earthrealm:

You see them? You get money to build and you no get money pay for a proper process and you are already with the mindset that your builder wants to chop you without evidence. Later this one will come here crying without evidence.

What is wrong with Nigerians?

Buhari has caused economic hardship but must Nigerians misbehave because of that?

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DrGoodman: 6:49am On May 21, 2017
jayooh:

Most nigerians want free things!
Free Q's, free engineer, free achitect, free labour and free services. This man may not even have building plan sef, he wants everything free and this one will raise his price to high heaven for tenants saying he spent billions to build his house.

Nigerians!

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by earthrealm(m): 7:47am On May 21, 2017
DrGoodman:

Na so clients dey behave? No wonder they are screaming and fighting. You are not ready to employ a pro to give you a quote, and you already accusing your builder of criminality because you think he wants to chop you. Why not kukuma build it yourself instead of looking for somebody to accuse of theft.

You see them? You get money to build and you no get money pay for a proper process and you are already with the mindset that your builder wants to chop you without evidence. Later this one will come here crying without evidence.

What is wrong with Nigerians?

Buhari has caused economic hardship but must Nigerians misbehave because of that?

lmao, the good doctor, no dey misyarn....
so even if one wants to use the services of a QS, 1 shud completely hand over everything to the QS, without trying to have an idea of what the QS is doing and if his quotes are realistic.

its your type that will go to the mechanic and give him full control of your car, without bothering to have an idea of what he is doing, or vulcanizer...who willinflate your tire to 50psi, cos you never bothered to have an idea of the correct inflation pressures of your tire.
even if am ill/have a health chllenge, i google first to have an idea, so you can have an idea if the doctor knows what he is doing or not,
i am open to working with a QS with good rates...and am also open to get ideas from house members how to have a rough estimate of the cost

finally, last i checked, its my build, my money, my rules

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 8:31am On May 21, 2017
earthrealm:

. If you already have an Engineer to handle your project kindly get him the plans to give you a quote. But if you feel otherwise you can send me a copy of your plan(s) to give you a quote from an Engineers' view. The history of your land is paramount to getting a quote for a new project starting afresh. I am based in both PHC and BYS. You can send your plan(s) via "benavoh@gmail.com".

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 10:20am On May 21, 2017
earthrealm:

Get a quote from three Or four builders..

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BankeSmalls(f): 10:30am On May 21, 2017
No need to blame anybody highing their price. Better soup na money kill am. If you don't have money to build, use your money and buy a jeep grin

Stop looking for somebody that will work free for you and end up being accused of stealing and other things. No be by force to buuld

"Always pay the full price" Robert Green, 48 laws of power.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BankeSmalls(f): 10:37am On May 21, 2017
twinskenny:

Get a quote from three Or four builders..

They will collect 4 quotation and give their job to lowest bidder who will quote low, collect mobilization and flee the site. Na our people dey use their hand kill themselves. Na so my uncle take give work to one boy who give him low quote, we still dey use police chase the boy as he is holding my uncle 1.2 milla grin

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 11:30am On May 21, 2017
I have read the last two pages on this thread and it has been back and forth on the issue of contractors costing and related issues.

While I can say that everyone is making some good point that will shape the industry more or help intended builders and clients. I will also like to throw my view while staying rational as possible.

You truly might not know a good job until you see one. So contractor A might give you a quote of N10 while B gives you that of N60. They are both at liberty to cost their job that best way they can make profit anyway. A might not have an operational office and paying staff and no project management approach towards the job and you are at risk because he might not pay attention to details.
B might have an operational office and paying attention to details and will surely stay abit longer at site to achieve this and do even some things you didn't ask for probably because he has more professional staff and current tools and equipment. Like the local saying

"woman wey never taste another man no know whether her husband strong for bed"

I traveled to a site and ran out of cloths and needed a pair of jeans and went at a nearby market to buy one i guess the guy selling it size me from my looks and inflated the asking price to N4800 when I asked as a proper lagosian my budget was N2000. I didn't say a word to him I moved over to the guy beside and got a asking price of N2500. I felt cold with him because to me jeans na jeans. This is the power of liberty to cost as a vendor, I didn't go back to ask the other guy why his was more expensive. I worked with the vendor that was closed to my budget.

Having said after years of piloting the affairs @ efabricators.ng if we wanted to survive as a company that takes amendment jobs we will still stay afloat because of a number of call to come complete what Vendor A couldnt finish but as a company policy we don't do ammendment jobs. Because on sighting some unfinished or poorly finished jobs the first thought that comes to my mind is that

"this is a job that was well quoted for but the client went for the lowest bidder"

because you never know a bad job unless you experience one when you do you will now spend more than the initial cost.

As we all know the the lowest and the highest is mostly not to win the job but the middle qoute(s). That's how I select vendors. Know that for free. grin

And one of the clients mentioned how the contractor spent his money, how he does that is not in the context of the discussion.

Clients should note very clearly that in as much as the the contactors are middle men they are mostly educated and act as and interpretator for the clients to the artisans who no doubt are skillfully but cant interpret drawings and some detailed mesurement. Don't believe me until you hire a skilled POP guy from Coutonu grin you will need to go learn diluted French to communicate.

Also we contractors should learn to be very fair with our prices. So we don't loss jobs. As business is all about turnovers.

I learn a lot from this forum and one thing I learnt lately is to be very open with our prices and that's why we launch our webstore @ www.efabricators.ng with thousands of sample pictures of products and services ranging from but not limited to Stainless Steel | Wrought Iron | Crystal & Acrylic | Wood | Aluminum | Glass | Galvanize | Mild Steel | Polystyrene | PVC | Fabric | Automations | 08068966121 | @ efabricators.ng
Oga mufutau55 has always try to advice that vendors be open with prices so clients will have something in mind to either call or not.

In summary clients should know that vendors are at leverage to cost their jobs the best way they can you are also at liberty to chose who you want to work for you within your budget no hard feelings. #thisisbuiness #allaboutthebenjamin

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by alstacs(m): 11:41am On May 21, 2017
twinskenny:

if you are in Nigeria go for hikvision or realtime...
i believe u want to be able to view via mobile and laptop. go for AHD/OR HD With cloud functions
please buy the one with house old name not the one that will be difficult to configure for remote view.

when it come to cabling. go with siamese cable (power & video) all in one make sure its pure corper.

lastly make sure you purchase central power its preferred above adaptors (this prevent your cameras against surge)

good luck
Thanks a lot bro, and ever. You are an asset to this group

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 11:45am On May 21, 2017
BankeSmalls:

They will collect 4 quotation and give their job to lowest bidder who will quote low, collect mobilization and flee the site. Na our people dey use their hand kill themselves. Na so my uncle take give work to one boy who give him low quote, we still dey use police chase the boy as he is holding my uncle 1.2 milla grin

The boy dey do hide and seek ni?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by jayooh: 12:05pm On May 21, 2017
earthrealm:

You'd still need the 2 drawings mentioned earlier for a proper and accurate estimate.

Your bold statement was ambiguous in your sentence structure. At a good price could have been "the rate on the QS's bill" as that's what I interpreted it as.

N.B I'm a civil engineer but the task of estimating quantities "accurately" can't be strange to me, but pricing I'd have to call a QS for current specific rates.

I'm actually a fan of: let client source and buy their construction materials themselves where they can, while I come in to do the technical aspects which really is my profession. I prefer jobs with good bills of quantities as well, cause payments can easily be monitored for level of jobs completed. With a good bill all I have to do is negotiate my supervision charges and manual labour market rate: which won't be anything hidden as it can easily be verified.

Different people and their own styles. Me no like wahala work. People in general caN be difficult to deal with, client; contractors; engineers; consultants; workmen; etc.

CHEERS!!! Happy Sunday

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Sprumbaba: 12:16pm On May 21, 2017
I am tired of recruiting people from Nairaland to work on my project.

My other contractor had to tell me to stop recruiting from the internet grin grin grin grin.

He said if they are good at what they do and very busy, they wont be looking for job on the internet.

80% of Nairaland contractors are shit even some of your saviors you seek opinions from here.

We always go back to fix their jobs and you end up spending more. When they are giving advice here, I always shake head. They even backbite one another.

Don't be fooled with pictures and essays. Behind those pictures are cracked walls and shoddy jobs you were not shown. It seems some of them are now reading the ART OF DEALS from Donald Trump. They will chop you dry if you give them the room.

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by jayooh: 12:27pm On May 21, 2017
WorldAmbassador:
Using steel is still a welcome idea smileyIt probably will eliminate the issue of termites and warping of wood that we see from the types of wood that we use to support our roof. The cost will definitely be prohibitive, especially in our country that rely 100% on importation. But Oga Spyder and jayooh, i'm all for using roofing materials that'll be stronger and lead to a more stable structure.

Termites infestation or warping are mere issues compared to cost control. I think this 2 problem have been well dealt with in providing solution and their continuous existence will only be as a result of ineptitude on the part of the wood loggers, millers and end users. Once I wood is properly produced (logging, processing: wetting and subsequent drying) , the fears of warping can be out phased. Now chemical treatment takes care of insect destruction.

Also, if you decide to use steels truss for bungalow or storeys that do not require it by design-due to load to be withstood then the term "low cost housing" will only be a mirage.

Take not that engineering is not just to deliver a safe or robust structure, but as well to deliver it in an economical way. grin, any engineer that disputes that should be sent back to the basics.

Aesthetics can also require steel works to be used in rare cases even though it has economic disadvantage.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by jossy26: 12:31pm On May 21, 2017
StainlessH:
I have read the last two pages on this thread and it has been back and forth on the issue of contractors costing and related issues.

While I can say that everyone is making some good point that will shape the industry more or help intended builders and clients. I will also like to throw my view while staying rational as possible.

You truly might not know a good job until you see one. So contractor A might give you a quote of N10 while B gives you that of N60. They are both at liberty to cost their job that best way they can make profit anyway. A might not have an operational office and paying staff and no project management approach towards the job and you are at risk because he might not pay attention to details.
B might have an operational office and paying attention to details and will surely stay abit longer at site to achieve this and do even some things you didn't ask for probably because he has more professional staff and current tools and equipment. Like the local saying

"woman wey never taste another man no know whether her husband strong for bed"

I traveled to a site and ran out of cloths and needed a pair of jeans and went at a nearby market to buy one i guess the guy selling it size me from my looks and inflated the asking price to N4800 when I asked as a proper lagosian my budget was N2000. I didn't say a word to him I moved over to the guy beside and got a asking price of N2500. I felt cold with him because to me jeans na jeans. This is the power of liberty to cost as a vendor, I didn't go back to ask the other guy why his was more expensive. I worked with the vendor that was closed to my budget.

Having said after years of piloting the affairs @ efabricators.ng if we wanted to survive as a company that takes amendment jobs we will still stay afloat because of a number of call to come complete what Vendor A couldnt finish but as a company policy we don't do ammendment jobs. Because on sighting some unfinished or poorly finished jobs the first thought that comes to my mind is that

"this is a job that was well quoted for but the client went for the lowest bidder"

because you never know a bad job unless you experience one when you do you will now spend more than the initial cost.

As we all know the the lowest and the highest is mostly not to win the job but the middle qoute(s). That's how I select vendors. Know that for free. grin

And one of the clients mentioned how the contractor spent his money, how he does that is not in the context of the discussion.

Clients should note very clearly that in as much as the the contactors are middle men they are mostly educated and act as and interpretator for the clients to the artisans who no doubt are skillfully but cant interpret drawings and some detailed mesurement. Don't believe me until you hire a skilled POP guy from Coutonu grin you will need to go learn diluted French to communicate.

Also we contractors should learn to be very fair with our prices. So we don't loss jobs. As business is all about turnovers.

I learn a lot from this forum and one thing I learnt lately is to be very open with our prices and that's why we launch our webstore @ www.efabricators.ng with thousands of sample pictures of products and services ranging from but not limited to Stainless Steel | Wrought Iron | Crystal & Acrylic | Wood | Aluminum | Glass | Galvanize | Mild Steel | Polystyrene | PVC | Fabric | Automations | 08068966121 | @ efabricators.ng
Oga mufutau55 has always try to advice that vendors be open with prices so clients will have something in mind to either call or not.

In summary clients should know that vendors are at leverage to cost their jobs the best way they can you are also at liberty to chose who you want to work for you within your budget no hard feelings. #thisisbuiness #allaboutthebenjamin

@bolded how they spend is not important but you guys are saying they pay house rent, use bad roads etc, because i added they spend on women and drinks you blabbing nonsense, baba sell your product and stop typing gibberish here.....na today naija man don dey swindle, we talking about price fairness you saying something else....no let me vex for you oooo tongue cheesy cheesy grin

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 12:31pm On May 21, 2017
Sprumbaba:

My other contractor had to tell me to stop recruiting from the internet grin grin grin grin.

He said if they are good at what they do and very busy, they wont be looking for job on the internet.

80% of Nairaland contractors are shit even some of your saviors you seek opinions from here.

We always go back to fix their jobs and you end up spending more. When they are giving advice here, I always shake head. They even backbite one another.

Don't be fooled with pictures and essays. Behind those pictures are cracked walls and shoddy jobs you were not shown. It seems some of them are now reading the ART OF DEALS from Donald Trump. They will chop you dry if you give them the room.

The bolded got me cracking.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 12:37pm On May 21, 2017
jossy26:

@bolded how they spend is not important but you guys are saying they pay house rent, use bad roads etc, because i added they spend on women and drinks you blabbing nonsense, baba sell your product and stop typing gibberish here.....na today naija man don dey swindle, we talking about price fairness you saying something else....no let me vex for you oooo tongue cheesy cheesy grin

Baba, we are discussing oh! im very sure that if this discussion was over a drink you would have open somebody's head by now. abeg oh! grin grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BankeSmalls(f): 12:46pm On May 21, 2017
jossy26:

And clients don't carry woman and drink beer? grin tongue tongue

As a referee, every person looking to hire somebody here should tell us what they do for a living. Some people steal to start projects and are afraid engineer will steal the money he stole from another maga grin
#whistleblowing tongue

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BankeSmalls(f): 12:50pm On May 21, 2017
Sprumbaba:

If you ask me, 100% of the Nigerian population is poo. No need to demonize a set of people. This government is Terrible. From the those hiring to those working and those selling, all of them are crooks. Some people building houses are senior crooks, they are only annoyed they are not getting everything free of charge.

3 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (686) (687) (688) (689) (690) (691) (692) ... (3662) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: timelineinc, completey(f), akeme1

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 123
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.