Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,166 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:23 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (690) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4367650 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (687) (688) (689) (690) (691) (692) (693) ... (3662) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by jayooh: 1:09pm On May 21, 2017
Normal way to settle price war.

*have an independent engineer/ consultant/ QS who can give you a detailed bill of quantities and estimate, to whom it is clear that his job is to do that and not actually to build or construct.

That's what is Don in a tender process. Before you are called to bid, the in-house engineers or procurement officer or whosoever must have had his/her own quantities and estimate which will be used as a benchmark.

The nearest bidder to this benchmark wins ideally, bit anything can happen in naija grin
Just saying
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by alstacs(m): 1:21pm On May 21, 2017
BankeSmalls:
No need to blame anybody highing their price. Better soup na money kill am. If you don't have money to build, use your money and buy a jeep grin

Stop looking for somebody that will work free for you and end up being accused of stealing and other things. No be by force to buuld

"Always pay the full price" Robert Green, 48 laws of power.

Seriously, it is not about looking for free job, we all want to pay and want to pay well for a good job. At the same time it is not about not appreciating good job either. Of course I never intend to give my work to a charlatan. So people should not say cos they are delivering good job, their charges should be higher unreasonably. Every single person that professes to be a professional should deliver the basic quality at least or he may end up exposing himself to a legal action. Going for the lowest bidder seems the most reasonable thing to do in sane environments where one is sure minimum standards are adhered to.
We also do appreciate the operational environment, material differences and the hardship that comes with some projects.
What I don't understand is same project, same hardship, same environment, my A charges 1 million Naira and Mr B charges 2 million Naira. That is 200% of Mr A fees! How do you justify that? That his own perceived operation hardship and environment are different? Or that he is more professional than the average professional that he is worth 200% of their charges? This notwithstanding, I appreciate that higher charges comes with brands and names, however, this is still within a reasonable frame or range.
An example is a simple 2 room BQ on a very dry land that I wanted a simple foundation for and an Engineer told me 200k for his supervision. In fact he told me 300k initially. This was his supervision fees only, I would buy my materials, pay all the workers on site and deed all the workers. This was long before naira lost its value oh. I was perplexed knowing fully well he was to handled the main building the filling year.
When I complained he was complaining of professionalism, shoddy jobs that others will do for me.
I supervised my thing a beg.... BQ, 2 rooms! We spent about the 200k to build the BQ up with supervision by a professional as well. If I had gone by the highly professional man, I would have spent twice that amount. Why?
I don't want to mention how much he charged me for supervising the Foundation for the duplex. Of course he didn't get the job. An equally professional and certified engineer got the job and his supervision fees were less than 20% of the first highly professional man.

Now I know people will attack me here saying, different projects come with different challenges. But I respect folks here who have set standards and have been open in average costs. @Spyder, Twinskenny, Hajj Muftau etc.. List is endless here, sorry if I couldn't mention your name ..
These men created a standard and make us have an idea of what what should be negotiated around average cost of services and goods. They have worked in different terrains and have shown variations that are reasonable with different work environments. These men are respected!
Now if things will change and charges or costs will be higher than usual, the onus is on the contractor or the engineer to give reasons why he should bill higher by giving reasons.... lack of water, transport, security, accommodation for men etc. Any sensible client will understand that he may need to pay a certain percentage higher than the "prevailing rates" for these special circumstances.
Many others throw the professional card at you and drop a subtle threat at you thereby creating fear.. Without telling you why their charges is about 200% higher than another person.

I will leave us with the story of the second Abuja runways project they was revoked or not approved. The projected cost could build a new airport with a runway included. Why did we all complain about it then? Why did we all say the project wasn't fair and we all shouted corruption. It is because we had a sense of a standard at the back of our minds against which we measured the contract rates.

Why didn't we rationalise that the bidders or those who won the contract were going to do a more professional job than those who charged or billed normally.

The intention of this debate is not to say all charges must be the same, or that all contracts must be billed under the same conditions. It is about being able to rationally and humbly explain why the rate for a particular project should be unreasonably higher than the norm or standard for such projects.

Modified

9 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by earthrealm(m): 1:25pm On May 21, 2017
jayooh:
Normal way to settle price war.

*have an independent engineer/ consultant/ QS who can give you a detailed bill of quantities and estimate, to whom it is clear that his job is to do that and not actually to build or construct.

That's what is Don in a tender process. Before you are called to bid, the in-house engineers or procurement officer or whosoever must have had his/her own quantities and estimate which will be used as a benchmark.

The nearest bidder to this benchmark wins ideally, bit anything can happen in naija grin
Just saying

Yup..this is similar to what i intend to do.
Have given 1 builder the drawings to come up with a quote.
Intend to get quotes from 1 or 2 more builders...and then 1 QS...will then comsider the builder whos rates are closer to the QS....
Getting trusted/reliable/skilled people isnt easy....thus i still intend to cover any loose ends by having my own inhouse estimate/rule of thumb from folks here...hence my throwing the wuestion open to the house.
I appreciate all the input/advices...
Cheers

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by earthrealm(m): 1:32pm On May 21, 2017
jayooh:
[/b]

You'd still need the 2 drawings mentioned earlier for a proper and accurate estimate.

Your bold statement was ambiguous in your sentence structure. At a good price could have been "the rate on the QS's bill" as that's what I interpreted it as.

N.B I'm a civil engineer but the task of estimating quantities "accurately" can't be strange to me, but pricing I'd have to call a QS for current specific rates.

I'm actually a fan of: let client source and buy their construction materials themselves where they can, while I come in to do the technical aspects which really is my profession. I prefer jobs with good bills of quantities as well, cause payments can easily be monitored for level of jobs completed. With a good bill all I have to do is negotiate my supervision charges and manual labour market rate: which won't be anything hidden as it can easily be verified.

Different people and their own styles. Me no like wahala work. People in general caN be difficult to deal with, client; contractors; engineers; consultants; workmen; etc.

CHEERS!!! Happy Sunday

Yeah ..i intend buying all my materials...n hving an eye on the project..to ensure supplied products are not diverted...from the lil i gathered..the best approach is to agree with the builder on a lumpsum charge for his services/supervision and labour...which you then pay installmentally within a time frame.

At QS rates...i meant the amount i wud pay the QS for producinng the bill of quantities.
Like architectural drawings..these have a price range for drawings etc...i expect QS to toe a similar path
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by jayooh: 1:33pm On May 21, 2017
earthrealm:

Yup..this is similar to what i intend to do.
Have given 1 builder the drawings to come up with a quote.
Intend to get quotes from 1 or 2 more builders...and then 1 QS...will then comsider the builder whos rates are closer to the QS....
Getting trusted/reliable/skilled people isnt easy....thus i still intend to cover any loose ends by having my own inhouse estimate/rule of thumb from folks here...hence my throwing the wuestion open to the house.
I appreciate all the input/advices...
Cheers

Make sense
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Aventures(m): 4:33pm On May 21, 2017
twinskenny:

Get a quote from three Or four builders..
Bros understand that getting a quote for a building at least to carcass level from four builders is like getting 4 people to do a professional work for free. too bad. Many people online will collect this quotes and won't even acknowledged the mail and that would be last time u hear from them no even thank you. If you have really for once do a quote for a build extensively you will understand that it is a great task that is really mentally involving, a times you will use your credit to make contacts in oder for you to know current material price at the site locations, spend hours typing on excellent and at the end send it with your purchased data, only for the person to receive it and kept quiet.
The best practice is to engage one QS to do you a bill of quantity if you want to give out your job as contract or a material and labour schedule if you want to be involved, then the QS will provide a copy call blank copy (he would remove his rates leaving only quantities) then d client can contact as many contractor he deems fit capable of doing this work and ask them to fill their rate and then he would check their rates against his QS rate and final sum as well then he is at liberty to choose any one that is in d range of +/-5% from QS rates and final sum also couple with competence and the contractor antecedent (you don't choose base on figure only). Yet it of good manner to communicate with the other contractor appreciating their effort to fill the blank boq ( though this less tasking for a contractor to do and so he has no reason to fill bad if he doesn't get the job) and possibly tell them why they were not chosen for them to be well positioned against another opportunity. Please note that boq help you project flow apart from costing because it would also outline the work process on which you can build your programs of work and proactive purchase and sound project planning.
I am not QS but I know the importance and the key role they play in project but most client want free quote and also and they are quick to comment on the free quote as rip off without any respect for your effort.

13 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 5:26pm On May 21, 2017
Aventures:
Bros understand that getting a quote for a building at least to carcass level from four builders is like getting 4 people to do a professional work for free. too bad. Many people online will collect this quotes and won't even acknowledged the mail and that would be last time u hear from them no even thank you. If you have really for once do a quote for a build extensively you will understand that it is a great task that is really mentally involving, a times you will use your credit to make contacts in oder for you to know current material price at the site locations, spend hours typing on excellent and at the end send it with your purchased data, only for the person to receive it and kept quiet.
The best practice is to engage one QS to do you a bill of quantity if you want to give out your job as contract or a material and labour schedule if you want to be involved, then the QS will provide a copy call blank copy (he would remove his rates leaving only quantities) then d client can contact as many contractor he deems fit capable of doing this work and ask them to fill their rate and then he would check their rates against his QS rate and final sum as well then he is at liberty to choose any one that is in d range of +/-5% from QS rates and final sum also couple with competence and the contractor antecedent (you don't choose base on figure only). Yet it of good manner to communicate with the other contractor appreciating their effort to fill the blank boq ( though this less tasking for a contractor to do and so he has no reason to fill bad if he doesn't get the job) and possibly tell them why they were not chosen for them to be well positioned against another opportunity. Please note that boq help you project flow apart from costing because it would also outline the work process on which you can build your programs of work and proactive purchase and sound project planning.
I am not QS but I know the importance and the key role they play in project but most client want free quote and also and they are quick to comment on the free quote as rip off without any respect for your effort.

baba you have said it all..

or you have discussed with the client to advance stage all of a sudden went mute.. nothing can be more frustrated my brother its welll

there was a time that i have to go to many places in ikeja even alaba just to get real prices at the end of the job didnt come our way... count my loses and move on.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:28pm On May 21, 2017
Aventures:

Sure client will receive your quote without acknowledging, all the sleepless night, God will help us. You have said it all. Case Close.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 6:33pm On May 21, 2017
twinskenny:

baba you have said it all..

or you have discussed with the client to advance stage all of a sudden went mute.. nothing can be more frustrated my brother its welll

there was a time that i have to go to many places in ikeja even alaba just to get real prices at the end of the job didnt come our way... count my loses and move on.

My brother not only you ooo... i visited abeokuta 3timed for a particular project not knowing that the client needed my quote to buy all the materials.. He has somebody on ground to do the job and he didn't tell me. i wasted money to Abeokuta to the extent that i help him carry submersible pump from his brother house in Lagos.

QS will surely collect money for their services.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by earthrealm(m): 8:32pm On May 21, 2017
topsy23:

My brother not only you ooo... i visited abeokuta 3timed for a particular project not knowing that the client needed my quote to buy all the materials.. He has somebody on ground to do the job and he didn't tell me. i wasted money to Abeokuta to the extent that i help him carry submersible pump from his brother house in Lagos.

@bolded...is very hilarious, kpele,
na y i wan limit am to 2 or worst case 3 builders. 1 out 2 or 3 isnt that bad grin grin, some people might be doing copy and paste sef..the BOQ for a 4br duplex for instance shouldnt vary by more than 30% i think
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by earthrealm(m): 9:45pm On May 21, 2017
in other news, dollar has been stable now for about a month, and the prices of items are still the same, the sellers have refused to reduce them..cement is still 2700. block 200 naira, and am sure with osibanjo acting, the forex market willcontinue to be stable or even the naira gains value, it will be painful if after waiting this long, the week one mobilizes to site and buys his materials..then prices will start crashing down.

abeg sellers if una wan crash price, mek una crash am asap grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by shammer: 10:19pm On May 21, 2017
good evening my ogas @ the top... I have been following this thread and it has open my eye to many things I don't know before.... I have a bungalow of 4 unit of mini-flat I want convert to 2unit of 2bedroom flat..... Any engineer recommend is welcomed
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Aventures(m): 10:32pm On May 21, 2017
topsy23:

waoh! This is unfair just imagine the risk of travelling alone, your time, cost of fuelling your car or transportation etc. It is well

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BankeSmalls(f): 10:53pm On May 21, 2017
Aventures:
waoh! This is unfair just imagine the risk of travelling alone, your time, cost of fuelling your car or transportation etc. It is well

Na you people dey fall hand yakata, if una dey collect quotation money from them, like charge them 50k for quotation and 100k for flight ticket round trip, or accommodation money in five star hotel, they will not be using you to clean floor. Small time some workmen will be forced to wash madam undies before Oga give him contract grin

Naija don spoil, Buhari has scatter this country.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BankeSmalls(f): 10:55pm On May 21, 2017
topsy23:

Nigerians can be so heartless.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 12:24am On May 22, 2017
Aventures:

This is sad. This is expected in an environment without "standard". This is what you get when there's no standard. You are experiencing first hand as a seasoned contractor what real clients​ suffer because you contractors refused to accept the notion that there should be a standard charge in the building industry. With a standard charge, clients can plan. So if any contractor quote to deliver below the the standard charge, fine and if you quote to above standard charge and the client is aware this is above the standard charge and happy to go ahead, fine. Everyone is happy and the contractor is mobilised and the kurukere to steal from the client starts. This is what is getting us mad.

Now to your professional take with this whole debate will be taken on board. Now we clients will shout to high heaven if small thing go wrong for site and will rush to Nairaland. I don't believe in customer is always right. Na lie. So if as a contractor, you've done all that is professionally expected of you and the client is taken undue advantage of your prospecting for business, come to Nairaland and shout as well. Client and contractor should respect each other.

In terms of quote, what is usually done here is the quote is free only if you get the job. So you advertise your quote fee and the customer pays upfront if you get the job, the quote fee is deducted from your
Professional charge. This eliminates freeloaders.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 6:00am On May 22, 2017
shammer:
good evening my ogas @ the top... I have been following this thread and it has open my eye to many things I don't know before.... I have a bungalow of 4 unit of mini-flat I want convert to 2unit of 2bedroom flat..... Any engineer recommend is welcomed
. Where is your bungalow located to be specific?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by shammer: 6:24am On May 22, 2017
bixton:
. Where is your bungalow located to be specific?
ikorodu
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Aventures(m): 6:39am On May 22, 2017
diordaves:

This is sad. This is expected in an environment without "standard". This is what you get when there's no standard. You are experiencing first hand as a seasoned contractor what real clients​ suffer because you contractors refused to accept the notion that there should be a standard charge in the building industry. With a standard charge, clients can plan. So if any contractor quote to deliver below the the standard charge, fine and if you quote to above standard charge and the client is aware this is above the standard charge and happy to go ahead, fine. Everyone is happy and the contractor is mobilised and the kurukere to steal from the client starts. This is what is getting us mad.

Now to your professional take with this whole debate will be taken on board. Now we clients will shout to high heaven if small thing go wrong for site and will rush to Nairaland. I don't believe in customer is always right. Na lie. So if as a contractor, you've done all that is professionally expected of you and the client is taken undue advantage of your prospecting for business, come to Nairaland and shout as well. Client and contractor should respect each other.

In terms of quote, what is usually done here is the quote is free only if you get the job. So you advertise your quote fee and the customer pays upfront if you get the job, the quote fee is deducted from your
Professional charge. This eliminates freeloaders.
Sir, I think we are making a good headway with argument and the end thereof could possibly help all of us. As a matter of fact the profession saddled with the responsibility of standard charges is QS, if anyone tells you this is the standard charges may be try or false at least I know that the institute regulating QS profession in Nigeria normally publish a book for standard pricing and it is reviewed periodically as well.

But in your last paragraph, you gave a clue that I will appreciate a further clarification. Do you mean if a client request quote from for contractors he would pay each of the their charges for quote, and the one that wins the job will later be surcharged?

Thanks in anticipation.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 9:26am On May 22, 2017
shammer:
ikorodu
. Call this number 0803 794 9532(Remmy) tell him Ben Avoh gave you his phone number and discuss your issue with him. He's resident in Lagos. He can assist how to go about it.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 10:06am On May 22, 2017
topsy23:

can u imagine..
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by InvertedHammer: 10:34am On May 22, 2017
Why not build your house?
1 week to learn masonry
2 weeks to learn carpentry
2 weeks to become iron bender
1 month in the gym for all the lifting and digging (foundation, concrete, cement,rods,etc)

2 weeks to be an electrician
2 weeks for plumbing.

All added together will be 3 months of preparation.
Then give the middle finger to contractors and artisans.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 10:55am On May 22, 2017
InvertedHammer:
1 week to learn masonry
1 month in the gym for all the lifting and digging (foundation, concrete, cement,rods,etc)

2 weeks for plumbing.

I am sure you are kidding, right? Good humour. smiley

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 12:00pm On May 22, 2017
InvertedHammer:
1 week to learn masonry

2 weeks for plumbing.

Lo
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by shammer: 2:05pm On May 22, 2017
bixton:
. Call this number 0803 794 9532(Remmy) tell him Ben Avoh gave you his phone number and discuss your issue with him. He's resident in Lagos. He can assist how to go about it.
Tanks

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 2:10pm On May 22, 2017
twinskenny:

Lo
I Just the read all these guys story, we need to be fear to both contractor, artisans, and the owner that is dishing out the money. I do understand it's take time and effort to put those quotations together, in my opinion some stipend should be paid to whom ever put those quotes in for the job, regardless of the outcome. That is been fear in my opinion. My second point is the most disturbing one to me. When one received 3 quotations, from 3 different people that as know connections with one another, if the differences is between 100k - 300k one can make decisions on which one of them provide good services with less headache, even with little higher price then his competitor. But in most case reality what we saw in margin of million between them. Guess what, many of us will do, just dump them all start calling those old workers that build our dad, uncle, brothers, anti, homes. At the end of the day we spend less for the job, from all those quotations that we received earlier.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 2:23pm On May 22, 2017
InvertedHammer:
1 week to learn masonry

2 weeks for plumbing.

My brother this your idea is not a joke oh.
One needs to have all those experience if you have on going project, it's may not be hand on. Most be brain on, in every accept of the project. Be wise . Lol sha.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by set2build: 2:26pm On May 22, 2017
View current prices pf building materials in the open market updated daily:

visit www.set2build.com/market prices
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by set2build: 2:28pm On May 22, 2017
set2build:
View current prices pf building materials in the open market updated daily:

visit www.set2build.com/market prices

www.set2build.com/market-prices
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by true2home(m): 6:51pm On May 22, 2017
As I watched the War on Quotation rages, I just want to tell the house that there are people in Nigeria that are still good. I have a supervisor that works for me. He never collects any fee from me for his work. He recommend that I give him whatever I feels he deserves. O BOy, I believe I have over paid him so many time simply because he has exceeded my expectation so many times. And guess what? I Am Very Happy with him. I have recommended him to family members and he still working for them with the same MOTTO. and he is getting paid nicely.

Therefore, Do a good job, and the client will gladly reward you beyond your expectation. Happy Clients do not look at price for a job WELL DONE

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (687) (688) (689) (690) (691) (692) (693) ... (3662) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.