Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,338 members, 7,811,980 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:23 AM

South South: The Anatomy Of A People, Resources - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / South South: The Anatomy Of A People, Resources (3624 Views)

IPOB: The Anatomy Of A Journey Without Map By Churchill Okonkwo / A Hilarious Picture Of A People Gossiping Yorubas Over Hausa/yoruba Clash / South South: The Anatomy Of A People, Resources (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

South South: The Anatomy Of A People, Resources by mcvaeey(m): 5:46am On Aug 25, 2015
The South South Region of Nigeria constitutes one of the most productive ecosystems on planet earth. The constituent States of this region include: Bayelsa, Rivers, Akwa Ibom, Cross River, Edo, and Delta States. Richly blessed with a variety of natural resources, it treasures an abundant array of mineral, water and forest resources of immense economic potentials.

It constitutes a unique geographical region noted for remarkable high species diversity, very high rainfall and predominantly rainforest vegetation containing the third largest mangrove forests in the world; with its peculiar geology being the bed rock of enormous mineral deposits that have been the driving force of the Nigerian economy. Extending also offshore on and beyond the continental shelf the South South region sustains Nigeria’s number one position on the list of African oil producers and the sixth on the globe.

The region is a low-lying land of innumerable creeks, waterways and mangrove swamps which stretches for over three hundred miles from the Benin River in the west to the Cross River in the east.
Although the region is situated in one of the wettest places on earth, it is fed by a river that passes largely through the sahel and dry savannah landscapes – geologically, some of the oldest on earth

The Climate
The South South region is characterized by the tropical hot monsoon climate, especially around the Bight of Biafra, including the lower Cross River Basin and the southwesterly slopes of Mount Cameroon.
The region lies on latitude 5 degrees North of the Equator and extends into the Gulf of Guinea, dividing the Bight of Benin (to the West) from the Bight Biafra (to the East). Annual rainfall is high although it varies within the Delta. Heavy rains begin in February and falls till November, with peaks in July and September.

Hydrology
The water structure of the South South is made of two water types, the fresh water, and the brackish water, which lies in between the fresh water regime and the oceanic salt-water regime. The fresh water refers to the water coming into the Delta from the Niger/Benue river system bringing with it the sediment from the interior that makes it cloudy. This sediment dropped over time has formed the Delta itself. Another element of South South hydrology is the brackish water, which is salty as a result of the incursion of the seawater. The influence of this seawater on the Niger Delta environment extends up to 60km inland, from northeast of Sapele (on the Benin river), northeast of Warri and as far as Choba (on the New Calabar river).

Soil
The South South region is endowed with very rich alluvial soil structure that supports swamp agriculture in most cases.

Mineral Resources
There is an abundant reserve of mineral resources of high economic value on land and in the waters of the Niger Delta. These constitute the non-renewable resources in the region, and include a wide variety of solid minerals, crude oil and natural gas.

Solid Minerals
Despite the seeming renewed enthusiasm in solid mineral development in Nigeria such abundant resources in the Niger Delta region are still largely untapped. Exploitable solid minerals found in the region include sand, clay, salt, limestone, coal, silver nitrate, etc. Among the lot, sand, clay and salt seem to gain more prominence, but are still largely under-utilised. However sand is next to oil and gas on the scale of tapped minerals in the region.

It is extracted massively from the extensive riverbeds, which characterise the region, and used for land reclamation, brick making, and as raw materials in the glass industry. It has great economic potentials which if well developed could support industrial activities and create employment opportunities for the teeming youths of the region. Presently, for example, only one known glass industry located at Ughelli, Delta State is on ground to utilise the abundant sand resources in the region.

Large deposits of fine, kaolinite clay are also found throughout the region. This mineral with its potential in ceramic and local pottery industries is still largely untapped. A large quantity of this mineral is found in Akwa Ibom State and the ceramics industry of that State was established due to the availability of this resource in commercial quantity there.

The abundance of marine water resource in the Niger Delta presents a develop-able potential in salt production. However such ventures are yet to be established for large-scale economic benefits.

Crude Oil
Crude oil is the most extensively exploited mineral resource in Nigeria. Crude oil was discovered in commercial quantity in Nigeria, in Oloibiri, a community in Bayelsa state, in 1956. Since then, enormous deposits of the mineral have been found on-shore and off-shore in every part of the Niger Delta region where all of the nation’s oil is tapped. By 1997 Nigeria’s proven oil reserve was put at 15.5 billion barrels. However, the estimated recoverable oil is put at 22.5 billion barrels of oil in the region from a total of 164 blocks.

There are three known giant oil reserves with potential for 1 billion barrels production located in the region, namely the Nembe creek, Gbarain (Bayelsa) and Okon (Akwa Ibom) fields. Exploration and production activities are unceasing, with over 2 million barrels of crude oil produced daily from the Niger Delta. Nigeria thus contributes about 10% of the world’s light crude oil, which is highly valued for high yield of light oil products and low sulfur content.

Crude oil has thus been the object of a monolithic economy, with revenues accounting for 25% of GDP, 90% of foreign exchange earnings and 70% of budgetary expenditure.

Natural Gas
Natural gas is second to crude oil on the list of exploited mineral resources in the Nigeria’s South South region. Nigeria’s natural gas reserve is put at about 124 trillion standard cubic feet (scf). Enormous proportion of this remains and is produced in association with oil. About 4.07 billion scf of such associated gas is produced in the Niger Delta oil fields daily as by-product of oil exploration; and about 70.23% of this is currently flared.

However, while great environmental and economic concerns linger against continued gas flaring, hope for commercial exploitation of gas remains in the three major gas projects, namely, SPDC associated gas gathering project, Chevron Escravos Gas Project (EGP), Exxon- Mobil Osso Natural Gas Liquid project (Osso NGL), and the Nigeria Liquefied Natural Gas project (NNLG). With these projects, currently flared gas would be processed for local use in various industrial and domestic power generation applications, as well as for export.

The abundant reserve of natural gas in the South South thus presents viable investment opportunities in the gas industry,  for example in gas plants development for production of domestic cooking and industrial gases; and would create jobs for the unemployed. Presently about 1.17% of the gas reserve has been produced.

Agricultural Resources
Agriculture represents a major aspect of the renewable natural resources sector of the Nigeria economy. The South South region is blessed with abundant soil resource with extensive arable farmland, which supports subsistence agriculture and presents enormous potentials for agro-based industrial development.

In every part of the region, the arable farmland supports production of a variety of food and cash crops including cassava, yam, cocoyam, rice, maize, plantain, oil palm, raffia palm, coconut, cocoa, mango, rubber, etc. There are major food and cash crops, which are in high abundance, and could be processed into high-demand products for local and export needs, or serve as raw materials for a variety of agro-based industries. Some of such crops are highlighted here:

Cassava (Manihot esculenta)
Cassava is widely grown in the region mostly for production of Garri, Fufu, starch and tapioca. It is a ready raw material for industrial starch, which could serve the needs of textile, drug and paper industries. Extensive cassava farming, processing and industrial applications for local need and export thus represent a viable investment potential which needs to be utilized.

Rice (Oryza sativa)
Rice is a staple food and most rapidly growing food source in Africa. Land and water resources are abundantly available and adequate for rice production in the region. The wetlands and swamps are conducive for the cultivation of wet (or swamp) rice.

Oil Palm (Elaeis guineensis )
Oil palm trees are the most ubiquitous tree crop in the Niger Delta region. Wild palm groves are the major source of edible oil. The abundance of this cash crop provides a potential for large-scale investment in palm oil processing and allied industries for both local and export needs. Oil and kernel derived from oil palm are high-demand raw materials for various industrial applications, including foods, cosmetics/detergents, industrials oils, etc.

Raffia Palm (Raphia sp)
Raffia palms from which palm wine is tapped grow extensively in the swamps of the Niger Delta. They are also grown in the homestead in most communities. Its abundance presents a great potential for industrial development in the areas of palm wine bottling, distillery for production of export quality gin; industrial alcohol production, and dry yeast production for baking and medical applications. The tree also produces piassava, another major commodity of the 1850’s Atlantic trade, which still has export value today, and could also support the twine and foot mart industries.

Rubber Tree (Hevea brasilensis)
Rubber is a common tree crop in most part of the South South. It grows as a forest resource, and also grown in plantations. There is great industrial demand for latex from rubber for production of plastics and glue for the wood and paper industries. Rubber latex is also useful in tyre manufacturing. The development of rubber cultivation/production would thus provide raw materials for local rubber processing factories and for the export market.

Forest Resources
The South South is located in the tropical rainforest zone. It has the largest area of undisturbed forest in Nigeria. The region is blessed with vast array of fresh water swamp as well as mangrove forests on the upland and coastal zones. These forests constitute the natural ecosystem for diverse plant and animal species, hiding very rare flora and fauna.

The major economic potentials of the forest resources lie on timber and non-timber forest products. A variety of commercially important timber species are found in abundance in the region, e.g. Iroko (Milicia excelsa), Cotton tree (Ceiba pentandra), Mahogany (Khaya sp.) and Mangrove (Rhizophora sp.).

The forests also provide for a variety of commonly hunted animal species – grass cutters, antelopes, bears, hares; medicinal roots, leaves, barks, fruits and spices, canes and ropes, honey. However, timber is the most exploited forest resource in the region, although great opportunities still abound for development of investments in this area.

Marine Resources
The aquatic terrain of the South South region is unique, and characterizes the region as a resource base of the nation. This provides great potential in fisheries. A wide variety of fin fish and shell other sea foods of high value importance are abundant, e.g mackerels, threadfins, croakers and dwell as periwinkle, oysters, scallops, suffers enabling opportunities for fresh and coastal marine zones fishing.
The estuaries have deep sea channels which have potentials for development of sea ports. Currently the Calabar port/Export Processing Zone (EPZ), and other port at Onne, Koko, Bonny and Sapele are rendering tremendous impetus to the Nigerian economy.

Conclusion
It has been noticed that aside crude petroleum oil, the huge economic potentials of South South Nigeria has not been optimally tapped. The region, through its rich petroleum oil and natural gas deposits, accounts for over 90% of Nigeria’ s foreign exchange earnings; this position had remained thus since the early 1970s.

Notwithstanding the monumental contributions of the region to the wealth of the nation, and the attendant negative impact on its environment as a result of the enormous contributions, very little or no development impact had been extended to the region.

Realising its huge potentials which has for long been given only a cursory mention and attention, the present Governors of the region set up an economic team with the aim of identifying the huge potentials of the region with the aim of harnessing these to radically leapfrog the region, with the main aim of integration, from its position of squalor to affluence.
Re: South South: The Anatomy Of A People, Resources by Udmaster(m): 5:49am On Aug 25, 2015

1 Like

Re: South South: The Anatomy Of A People, Resources by LoveMachine(m): 6:01am On Aug 25, 2015
Never knew we had bears in the SS. Learn something new everyday.
Re: South South: The Anatomy Of A People, Resources by DaBullIT(m): 6:26am On Aug 25, 2015
You don't need a novel to explain your point grin
Re: South South: The Anatomy Of A People, Resources by dmz1: 6:53am On Aug 25, 2015
Biafra will be a very rich country ooo. see the rich human, agric and human resources it will inherit. op thanks

9 Likes

Re: South South: The Anatomy Of A People, Resources by Nobody: 7:28am On Aug 25, 2015
Interesting
Re: South South: The Anatomy Of A People, Resources by mcvaeey(m): 7:39am On Aug 25, 2015
dmz1:
Biafra will be a very rich country ooo. see the rich human, agric and human resources it will inherit. op thanks
I pity you. You'll die waiting.

1 Like

Re: South South: The Anatomy Of A People, Resources by mcvaeey(m): 7:40am On Aug 25, 2015
atbu1983:
Interesting
Yes o. We are blessed. No wonder the igbos are trying to force into a union we don't want.

1 Like

Re: South South: The Anatomy Of A People, Resources by cheruv: 8:44am On Aug 25, 2015
mcvaeey:
Yes o. We are blessed. No wonder the igbos are trying to force into a union we don't want.
The "we SS" people grin

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: South South: The Anatomy Of A People, Resources by Washingtonben: 8:44am On Aug 25, 2015
Interesting, but to think of it, this people suffer the worst environmental degradation and neglect from both the FG and the oil exploiting companies. Oil spills destroying d aquatic lives, flaura and fauna, gas flaring causing climate changes that are hazardous to d inhabitants, yet little or no attention us paid to d oil communities and the inhabitants.
This is indeed the paradox of plenty, a resource curse, which makes the people suffer instead of rejoicing, poor instead of living in affluence.
If the people protest, instead of d FG and oil exploiting firms to respond appropriately, oil multinationals connives with the FG to rage war on the people.
Their resources are used to feed the entire nation, constitute to more than 90 percent of foreign exchange and 70percent of the national budgets, yet they are the most deprived.
What an insensitive and irresponsible government we have.
It's really pathetic.
Re: South South: The Anatomy Of A People, Resources by mcvaeey(m): 8:49am On Aug 25, 2015
Washingtonben:
Interesting, but to think of it, this people suffer the worst environmental degradation and neglect from both the FG and the oil exploiting companies. Oil spills destroying d aquatic lives, flaura and fauna, gas flaring causing climate changes that are hazardous to d inhabitants, yet little or no attention us paid to d oil communities and the inhabitants.
This is indeed the paradox of plenty, a resource curse, which makes the people suffer instead of rejoicing, poor instead of living in affluence.
If the people protest, instead of d FG and oil exploiting firms to respond appropriately, oil multinationals connives with the FG to rage war on the people.
Their resources are used to feed the entire nation, constitute to more than 90 percent of foreign exchange and 70percent of the national budgets, yet they are the most deprived.
What an insensitive and irresponsible government we have.
It's really pathetic.
that's why we are advocating for true federalism and 100% resource control or our own Niger Delta republic not biafra. I love Nigeria and I want Nigeria to grow. I'm from Edo State and my hometown Oriohimwon is an oil producing community and I want to use my oil to develop my region and not another man's region. The oil in my land belongs to my people and not the north. Every state should develop at its own pace.

3 Likes

Re: South South: The Anatomy Of A People, Resources by yorubatic: 8:54am On Aug 25, 2015
mcvaeey:
I pity you. You'll die waiting.
My people have become too cowardly in this nigeria. ..they are now a laughing stock...they have shown the world that they are weaklings and O'yes to the Hausa / Fulani muslims. ..it is shame that my sophisticated and progressive people are a bunch of confused people who have no aspiration whatsoever. ..

It seems musiwa and I are the only brave people among our kins. ...musiwa want a western nigeria and I want a sophisticated and progressive Odu'a. ..but my coward folks want to keep being slaves to their Hausa / Fulani masters. ..

Let us that agitating for odua republic where there be no ibos, where lagos will not be no man's land...yorubas wake up. ...we can't remain cowards

My people should stop behaving like clowns ....God can deliver my people

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: South South: The Anatomy Of A People, Resources by yorubatic: 8:58am On Aug 25, 2015
mcvaeey:
that's why we are advocating for true federalism and 100% resource control or our own Niger Delta republic not biafra. I love Nigeria and I want Nigeria to grow. I'm from Edo State and my hometown Oriohimwon is an oil producing community and I want to use my oil to develop my region and not another man's region. The oil in my land belongs to my people and not the north. Every state should develop at its own pace.
Why not start agitating for Edo republic, just I am fighting for odua republic. ...can't you live without others? Are Edos clowns who can't govern themselves? If you are a not coward and weakling, start agitating for Edo republic. ...bunch of clowns in Nigeria

5 Likes

Re: South South: The Anatomy Of A People, Resources by yorubatic: 8:59am On Aug 25, 2015
mcvaeey:
Why not start agitating for Edo republic, just I am fighting for odua republic. ...can't you live without others? Are Edos clowns who can't govern themselves? If you are a not coward and weakling, start agitating for Edo republic. ...bunch of clowns in Nigeria

6 Likes

Re: South South: The Anatomy Of A People, Resources by Nobody: 9:01am On Aug 25, 2015
cheruv:
The "we SS" people grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: South South: The Anatomy Of A People, Resources by Sweetlemon(f): 9:02am On Aug 25, 2015
mcvaeey:

Thanks my dear. The bolded is the koko. We are not ripe enough to get our own country yet. We need to develop our areas first then identify the right leaders next before making such brash decisions.

Long live South South.
Long Live FRN.

1 Like

Re: South South: The Anatomy Of A People, Resources by Sweetlemon(f): 9:04am On Aug 25, 2015
yorubatic:

My people have become too cowardly in this nigeria. ..they are now a laughing stock...they have shown the world that they are weaklings and O'yes to the Hausa / Fulani muslims. ..it is shame that my sophisticated and progressive people are a bunch of confused people who have no aspiration whatsoever. ..

It seems musiwa and I are the only brave people among our kins. ...musiwa want a western nigeria and I want a sophisticated and progressive Odu'a. ..but my coward folks want to keep being slaves to their Hausa / Fulani masters. ..

Let us that agitating for odua republic where there be no ibos, where lagos will not be no man's land...yorubas wake up. ...we can't remain cowards

My people should stop behaving like clowns ....God can deliver my people

Even the Igbos here know that you are NOT yoruba.

2 Likes

Re: South South: The Anatomy Of A People, Resources by mcvaeey(m): 9:42am On Aug 25, 2015
Sweetlemon:

Thanks my dear. The bolded is the koko. We are not ripe enough to get our own country yet. We need to develop our areas first then identify the right leaders next before making such brash decisions.

Long live South South.
Long Live FRN.
thanks cupcake. Resource control or Niger Delta republic. I'm surprised at many igbos here on nairaland. Once you don't agree with their biafra you're automatically tagged as yoruba. What a pathetic lot.

2 Likes

Re: South South: The Anatomy Of A People, Resources by glassjar1: 9:54am On Aug 25, 2015
mcvaeey:
thanks cupcake. Resource control or Niger Delta republic. I'm surprised at many igbos here on nairaland. Once you don't agree with their biafra you're automatically tagged as yoruba. What a pathetic lot.

you animal . is only that don't know where you are for day you will die your dirt virus bed spread will be tied to your paper casket .

write more shacris . death around your corner .

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: South South: The Anatomy Of A People, Resources by glassjar1: 9:55am On Aug 25, 2015
mcvaeey:

you animal . is only that you don't know where you are, for the day you will die your dirty virus bed spread will be tied to your paper casket .

write more shacris . death around your corner .

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: South South: The Anatomy Of A People, Resources by SOUNDKING: 10:10am On Aug 25, 2015
mcvaeey:
No body,i repeat, no body is forcing anybody to join Biafra,Biafra is a land of freedom you have every right to choose between Biafra and Nigeria,so stop feeling important,i don't know your clan anyway.chk well if your town is on our map.

3 Likes

Re: South South: The Anatomy Of A People, Resources by SOUNDKING: 10:13am On Aug 25, 2015
mcvaeey:
who need edo in biafra....stop dreaming,,,,,,,,

5 Likes

Re: South South: The Anatomy Of A People, Resources by mcvaeey(m): 10:21am On Aug 25, 2015
SOUNDKING:
who need edo in biafra....stop dreaming,,,,,,,,
Stop dreaming too. Who's want to have criminals and losers in the same country like the igbos?

1 Like

Re: South South: The Anatomy Of A People, Resources by modhream: 10:25am On Aug 25, 2015
mcvaeey:
Idiot.
You just busted yourself.Orhionmwon is not a town,but the name of a local govt in Edo headquartered in Abudu.You guys should really try to read up and acquaint yourselves with places you claim before making shows of yourselves online.You're not even able to write the name correctly.
We "SS" people,indeed

6 Likes

Re: South South: The Anatomy Of A People, Resources by Rose2014: 10:26am On Aug 25, 2015
cheruv:

The "we SS" people grin

I'm glad u noticed he's another impostor
Most likely Yoruba.
Just when u think they're tired, they don't give up

He had to open a new moniker to show his frustration

I must say great Kudos to Nnamdi Kanu

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: South South: The Anatomy Of A People, Resources by Rose2014: 10:28am On Aug 25, 2015
mcvaeey:

If you're not Yoruba, why did u create a new moniker? What happened to the old one?

3 Likes

Re: South South: The Anatomy Of A People, Resources by mcvaeey(m): 10:31am On Aug 25, 2015
modhream:

Idiot.
You just busted yourself.Orhionmwon is not a town,but the name of a local govt in Edo headquartered in Abudu.You guys should really try to read up and acquaint yourselves with places you claim before making shows of yourselves online.You're not even able to write the name correctly
if you like say what you like. I know who I am and where I came from. I won't allow one flàthead to tell me where I'm from. Thunder fire your flàthead and your worthless father.

1 Like

Re: South South: The Anatomy Of A People, Resources by Rose2014: 10:32am On Aug 25, 2015
Sweetlemon:

Long live South South.
Long Live FRN.

This lady again?

1 Like

Re: South South: The Anatomy Of A People, Resources by Rose2014: 10:33am On Aug 25, 2015
mcvaeey:
if you like say what you like. I know who I am and where I came from. I won't allow one flàthead to tell me where I'm from. Thunder fire your flàthead and your worthless father.

Voila cheesy
Now you're speaking the language of Yorubas

It's never difficult to bust u guys. Never

7 Likes

Re: South South: The Anatomy Of A People, Resources by mcvaeey(m): 10:33am On Aug 25, 2015
Rose2014:

If you're not Yoruba, why did u create a new moniker? What happened to the old one?
who told you I created a new moniker? See how foolish an average person is. I'm not surprised. You people still haven't recovered from the asss whooping you got from the Nigerian army.
Re: South South: The Anatomy Of A People, Resources by sdindan: 10:34am On Aug 25, 2015
mcvaeey:
Why wouldn't you join Biafra?
You preferred to be a slave in Nigeria than to join Biafra.
As the are giving our brothers 60k per month and take trillions u are happy about it.
They have all the oil Wells and their children leaving big in overseas.
Well am sure rivers state will join. Dunno your own state.
Re: South South: The Anatomy Of A People, Resources by Rose2014: 10:34am On Aug 25, 2015
mcvaeey:
who told you I created a new moniker? See how foolish an average person is. I'm not surprised. You people still haven't recovered from the asss whooping you got from the Nigerian army.

So the sophisticated tribe doesn't know that u can visit someone's profile to see when their id was created?

7 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Biafra An Online Country / See Archbishop Of Canterbury Face When David Cameron Called Naija Corrupt Nation / Exclusive!Magu’s SA Exposes The Conspirators Against Orji Kalu, Absolves Magu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.