Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,915 members, 7,824,842 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 06:52 PM

Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri (8527 Views)

Did You See The Mistake On The Ministerial List Sent To The Senator Saraki? (Pic / I'll Send Corrupt Nigerians To Kirikiri Prison - Buhari / Al-mustapha Welcomes Bode George To Kirikiri Prison (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by Nobody: 4:26pm On Mar 31, 2009
If the shoe were on the other foot and Ibinabo had been the one killed, would the reactions here be the same?

tpia:

If the shoe were on the other foot and Ibinabo had been the one killed, would the reactions here be the same?

ibime would have been calling for the killers head, nuts , wife, children, life saving. . .for depriving the world of a priceless jewel
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by DeReloaded: 5:01pm On Mar 31, 2009
She fled the scene not even knowing that there had been a fatality.

This is worse and the fact that you would defend this is sick.
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by texazzpete(m): 5:08pm On Mar 31, 2009
See people whining about an 'unfair sentence' whereas someone was killed!
How do you want the family of the doctor to feel?

This is what i mean when i say the problem with Nigeria doesn't come from the leaders only. Here are people (who often rail against the leaders) shamelessly supporting wrongdoing. How can you support payment of a fine when someone died?

Then there's someone calling for her to pay only a '6 figure fine'. WTF?!
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by wirinet(m): 5:08pm On Mar 31, 2009
Nigeria's major problem is that the premium placed on human life depends on status. How can one compare the five years (in theory) that a superstar gets to the life of an unknown doctor. I am sure if the person killed is higher than Ibinabo in status, likewas a governor (fashola is said to some drive himself around), or even a commisioner, (because it could be anybody), we would not be talking of 5 yrs.

I hate the argument of whether she was drunk or sober. I think her being drunk should be a better excuse than her not being drunk. Because if she was not drunk (and i do not think her lawyers pleaded mechanical failure of her jeep), then what do we owe the recklessness of her driving, for her car to leave her lane and crash into a car on the other side of the lane. Was she attempting suicide or she was bent on killing someone. Maybe she was testing the limit of the car, because i we have not heard her excuse.

My problem with the whole issue is not even the accident, but the actions and reactions of Ibinabo, what has she done to pacify the family of the deceased, how has she shown the society her remorse. If such things happens to stars abroad, they would show the society they are sorry by starting a foundation and use their star status to raise funds for victims of man slaughter, or if the accident was achohol induced, start a campaign against drink driving. So what has our super star done. Rumours has it that she is jumping from one night club to the other.
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by DeReloaded: 5:10pm On Mar 31, 2009
what superstar sef?

when last has she been in a movie? Only those of us who used to watch old school Nollywood know of her existence.
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by Fhemmmy: 5:16pm On Mar 31, 2009
DeReloaded:

what superstar sef?

when last has she been in a movie? Only those of us who used to watch old school Nollywood know of her existence.

Lol, Nigerians never know the meaning of superstars.
How many movies has she acted?

But the point remains that she deserves to be jailed and face the wrought of the law to the fullest, she is not of higher importance to the man he has killed.
i wonder what the sharia law would have done?
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by cold(m): 5:23pm On Mar 31, 2009
I don't seem to understand the line of argument here.How is the sentence heavy?Somebody is involved in a hit and run,shows no remorse,lies to the court abt her whereabouts & som peeps are on here supporting evil.Do we now hav 2 set of rules for the havs & the hav nots?Even if she fled the scene for fear of being lynched she should hav turned herself in at the nearest police station.This line of reasoning is not tenable & unacceptable,if u do the crime be prepared to do the tym
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by DeReloaded: 5:31pm On Mar 31, 2009
Sharia is garbage so I dont care about what they would have done

Fhemmmy:

But the point remains that she deserves to be jailed and face the wrought of the law to the fullest, she is not of higher importance to the man he has killed.

she's not. He would have been a doctor saving lives while she's off begging for roles.
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by osisi2(f): 5:34pm On Mar 31, 2009
I hope the guards don't disvirgin her in prison.
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by Nobody: 5:37pm On Mar 31, 2009
**osisi:

I hope the guards don't disvirgin her in prison.

different prison for the rich and the poor mustapha etal were basically under house arrest
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by osisi2(f): 5:40pm On Mar 31, 2009
she looks manly anyway.
she should take the sentence like a man
she'll be fine.
After those 5 solid years,she'll flee whenever she sees a carton of Gulder.
serves her right!
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by osisi2(f): 5:46pm On Mar 31, 2009
It hasnt been proved that Ibinabo was under the influence. She fled the scene not even knowing that there had been a fatality. This is a judgement without proof, just media hearsay. As the article says, she was convicted of reckless driving, not drink-driving. Thats an 18 month sentence at most.

where were you when the family was looking for legal representation?
Drinking causes wreckless driving doesn't it?
Or was hers caused by insanity?
should the courts have charged her with madness?

Let this serve as a lesson to all you drunkards
You can't hit us or kill us (the fanta drinkers) and go free
not anymore in Nigeria
where's Leilah?
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by iReport: 6:02pm On Mar 31, 2009
Btw DWI/DUI is more than 6 months in the states, not to mention someone died cos of it so it definitely would have been more.

Manslaughter is only less than a year or 18months IF the person wasnt under the influence of anything.
Of course some people serve years depending on the circumstances. Ibinabo had no previous record of drunk driving, there is no absolute proof she was driving drunk in the first place. Justice should not be mixed with emotions otherwise those people that lynch someone at the death of another should be justified. There are no exact 6 months sentences in the US per say, rather they are usually released on parole after months especially for first time offenders. I still remember the case of a drunk driver that killed 5/4 Asian teenagers that sneaked out of their home saturday night for a party in Houston . The guy ran into them sunday morning killing all at the spot while he survived. He served only 8 months for that crime and finished his community service from home.

For those that demand an explanation on why she fled the scene, God knows she would've been 6 feet under if she didn't. Ain't no police saving you.
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by Nobody: 6:16pm On Mar 31, 2009
Of course some people serve years depending on the circumstances. Ibinabo had no previous record of drunk driving, there is no absolute proof she was driving drunk in the first place. Justice should not be mixed with emotions otherwise those people that lynch someone at the death of another should be justified. There are no exact 6 months sentences in the US per say, rather they are usually released on parole after months especially for first time offenders. I still remember the case of a drunk driver that killed 5/4 Asian teenagers that sneaked out of their home saturday night for a party in Houston . The guy ran into them sunday morning killing all at the spot while he survived. He served only 8 months for that crime and finished his community service from home.

For those that demand an explanation on why she fled the scene, God knows she would've been 6 feet under if she didn't. Ain't no police saving you.

bullshit

1) no records in naija. if she was driving drunk, it was definetly not her first time
2) she hit him on the lagos epe expressway, that is an undevloped part of lagos. no possibility of a flash mob coming togeher to burn her
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by iReport: 6:45pm On Mar 31, 2009
bullshit

1) no records in naija. if she was driving drunk, it was definetly not her first time
2) she hit him on the lagos epe expressway, that is an undevloped part of lagos. no possibility of a flash mob coming togeher to burn her
Can you substantiate these claims above beyond reasonable doubt?. Do you have any proof that she wasn't driving drunk for the first time or even driving drunk at all even after laying out the lame system in Nigeria?. Perhaps, you are the social guide that tells where and when places are dangerous in Nigeria else how will you know there are no dangerous locals lurking at every nook and cranny of Epe looking for an easy prey especially an oyibo looking paranoid woman. If your assertion is true, do you know whether she is aware of the fact that she is safe to come down there and seek for help especially in that moment of hysteria?.  We seek for justice in our courts and not to soothe the feelings of some complacent moral police looking for adjudication to justify the voices in his head. So, save your platitudes for people that cannot discern between their emotions and facts. I am way beyond that unless you have more proof to come forthwith.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere"-Martin Luther King jnr.
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by Fhemmmy: 7:23pm On Mar 31, 2009
DeReloaded:

Sharia is garbage so I dont care about what they would have done

she's not. He would have been a doctor saving lives while she's off begging for roles.

i was never an advocate of Sharia however, sometimes, i think we need it.
like i like how they would deal with someone that steals, just that i wonder how come IBB is still walking around free, so i guess the sharia law is just for the poor and low.
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by Pataki: 7:31pm On Mar 31, 2009
iReport:

I still remember the case of a drunk driver that killed 5/4 Asian teenagers that sneaked out of their home saturday night for a party in Houston .  The guy ran into them sunday morning killing all at the spot while he survived. He served only 8 months for that crime and finished his community service from home.
If Ibinabo bagging a five year sentence for manslaughter sounds ridiculous to you, how does the case above sound to you? undecided

Of course, I am subject to think you do support her inglorious actions of drinking and driving recklessly since she is a woman and had the opportunity of taking a man's life off the planet earth. Given your repeated stance, on how detestable men are to you, hence a fellow woman like you bagging five years in jail sound ridiculous and beyond belief. undecided

iReport:

We seek for justice in our courts and not to soothe the feelings of some complacent moral police looking for adjudication to justify the voices in his head. So, save your platitudes for people that cannot discern between their emotions and facts. I am way beyond that unless you have more proof to come forthwith.
Yeah right! See who is talking of emotions and facts! AMAZING!!!!!!

Would you have said that load of rubbish quoted above, if it was a man accused of excessive drinking and driving recklessly that had killed woman on the streets in Nigeria? grin
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by iReport: 7:40pm On Mar 31, 2009
If Ibinabo bagging a five year sentence for manslaughter sounds ridiculous to you, how does the case above sound to you?
Of course the judgment was ridiculous because i believe he should have stayed more in jail so as to enable him think twice before drinking and driving but Ibinabo's case is quite unusual because there was no evidence that she was drunk and even if she was, 5 years for manslaughter is a little bit harsh. I initially endorsed that judgment until i read the full transcript of her case, that changed my mind.

Of course, I am subject to think you do support her inglorious actions of drinking and driving recklessly since she is a woman and had the opportunity of taking a man's life off the planet earth. Given your repeated stance, on how detestable men are to you, hence a fellow woman like you bagging five years in jail sound ridiculous and beyond belief.

Men are not detestable to me, it's the actions of men like you that disgust me. My father is a man, a real one at that.

Yeah right! See who is talking of emotions and facts! AMAZING!!!!!!

Would you have said that load of rubbish quoted above, if it was a man accused of excessive drinking and driving recklessly that had killed woman on the streets in Nigeria?
Of course men are inclined to act stupid all the time. There are more chances that a man will repeat such offence if left to go scot free. Ibinabo is just a spoilt brat and last time I checked, that is not a crime although it may fall into the department of social nuisance for those that cares. Should we punish her because she is a spoilt brat or because she committed an unfounded crime?. You be the judge.
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by DeReloaded: 7:45pm On Mar 31, 2009
Her crime is that she killed someone not that she's a "spoilt brat"

Im sure the family of the dude would be proud to know that his death is being reduce to just her "acting like a spoilt brat"
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by iReport: 7:57pm On Mar 31, 2009
Her crime is that she killed someone not that she's a "spoilt brat"
Killing someone becomes a crime only when it's deliberate, preconceived or at least by a conscious mistake. There is no proof that Ibinabo is guilty of any of these three.

Im sure the family of the dude would be proud to know that his death is being reduce to just her "acting like a spoilt brat"
His family and what they think is irrelevant here because left to them, they will request for a death sentence. That can be excused looking at the emotional trauma but the law shouldn't make rooms for such. Lots of people have gone to jail for a crime they didn't commit just because the likelihood is very high. If there was no proof that Ibinabo was drunk/had any intoxicant before the accident, then the law is bullying her and it's very pathetic. How can we move on as a country if someone can be denied justice in this manner?. I guess other people that are victimized by the govt should be excused too. Same way Obasanjo and yaradua were victimized by Abacha. Yaradua lost his dear life in the process. No matter the situation, the due process of law must be followed.

meanwhile, you tend not to be pugnacious anymore, what happened? wink
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by Hauwa1: 8:01pm On Mar 31, 2009
i have been following this thread, i pity both families. do they rape in kirikiri?
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by iReport: 8:02pm On Mar 31, 2009
do they rape in kirikiri?
Lesbians will pay you tribute for sure if you find yourself there. grin grin grin
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by Sauron1: 8:09pm On Mar 31, 2009
superstan:

i don't even think she should be convicted.

she is a single mother. she had no previous record of reckless driving. she commited manslaughter and not murder.

the worst she should have gotten is a heavy fine in 6-figures.

our judiciary system is shambolic.

I agree with you 100%
The sentencing was too HARSH. . . . . . . . . . . .How can any straight-thinking judge slam a woman 5 yrs imprisonment for reckless driving??
It's INSANE. The worst she shllda gotten is 6 months or community service.
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by iReport: 8:21pm On Mar 31, 2009

I agree with you 100%
The sentencing was too HARSH. . . . . . . . . . . .How can any straight-thinking judge slam a woman 5 yrs imprisonment for reckless driving??
It's INSANE. The worst she shllda gotten is 6 months or community service.
thank you but I think they should have given her at most 1.5 years if and only if they were cock sure she was drunk or at least some form of community service since the judgment is based on hearsay.
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by bawomolo(m): 8:22pm On Mar 31, 2009
I guess she deserves to be free because she is a woman and is rich.  lol
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by Sauron1: 8:37pm On Mar 31, 2009
iReport:

thank you but I think they should have given her at most 1.5 years if and only if they were cock sure she was drunk or at least some form of community service since the judgment is based on hearsay.

If the judge had any nous at all, she should have considered so many factors before delivering her sentence. . . . .
Has she got previous records of reckless driving??
Was she drunk??
The issue of single mother is also very important. . . . . Who will take care of her kids while she is in Prison??
Those kids(with no parental care) would likely grow up and become career criminals in future.

She shouldn't have been sent to Prison. I think this judge was just trying to be a superstar or she just got jilted by a lover. cheesy
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by DeReloaded: 9:06pm On Mar 31, 2009
Killing someone becomes a crime only when it's deliberate, preconceived or at least by a conscious mistake. There is no proof that Ibinabo is guilty of any of these three.

It became delibrate when she left the scene of the crime. For all you know, if he was taken to the hospital immediately, he could have been saved

Wunmi was caught trafficking drugs, she went to jail, not to talk of someone who took away a life. Ibinabo ko. Ashewobo ni.

You can all whine and make up stats if you want though, she's going to jail for more than "6 months" Case Closed  cool
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by iReport: 9:10pm On Mar 31, 2009
It became delibrate when she left the scene of the crime. For all you know, if he was taken to the hospital immediately, he could have been saved
If you are very conversant with Nigeria, you should know that hanging around after a ghastly motor accident whether it's your fault or not can be fatal. The only way you may be spared is if you are already dead or in coma and there is no formula to determine whether you will be mugged or not.

You can all whine and make up stats if you want though, she's going to jail for more than "6 months" Case Closed
Do not rejoice in another person's misfortune because you don't know tomorrow. The least you can do is pray for her.
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by Pataki: 9:14pm On Mar 31, 2009
iReport:

Of course the judgment was ridiculous because i believe he should have stayed more in jail so as to enable him think twice before drinking and driving but Ibinabo's case is quite unusual because there was no evidence that she was drunk and even if she was, 5 years for manslaughter is a little bit harsh. I initially endorsed that judgment until i read the full transcript of her case, that changed my mind.
Must there be an evidence of drunk driving in times past before the full weight of the law is applied? Or how do you people reason at times? She was stated to be drunk and engaged in reckless driving. For that, she got the weight measure of the law. If you start running case scenarios with and from America, just because you are looking for a point to prove, you smack of low intelligence. tongue

iReport:
Men are not detestable to me, it's the actions of men like you that disgust me. My father is a man, a real one at that.
Just do not let me grab my hands on you. I would show what a real man does to a woman like you. lipsrsealed

Nonsense girl.

iReport:
Of course men are inclined to act stupid all the time. There are more chances that a man will repeat such offence if left to go scot free. Ibinabo is just a spoilt brat and last time I checked, that is not a crime although it may fall into the department of social nuisance for those that cares. Should we punish her because she is a spoilt brat or because she  committed an unfounded crime?. You be the judge.
So her being a ''spoilt brat'' as acclaimed by you validates her rambunctiousness and misdemeanor to the society? What nonsense would you not spit out tonight. grin
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by Sauron1: 9:17pm On Mar 31, 2009
Pataki:

Must there be an evidence of drunk driving in times past before the full weight of the law is applied? Or how do you people reason at times? She was stated to be drunk and engaged in reckless driving. For that, she got the weight measure of the law. If you start running case scenarios with and from America, just because you are looking for a point to prove, you smack of low intelligence. tongue

Was she breathalysed immediately after the incident?? How do we know she was drunk??
The issue of drunk driving does not apply here cos it was not proven she was drunk when she killed the doctor.
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by SamMilla1(m): 9:24pm On Mar 31, 2009
its a pity but i think the sentence to kirikiri is not quite fair.
She had no criminal record apart from reckless driving.
plus this is not murder
Re: Manslaughter Case: Ibinabo Sent To Kirikiri by iReport: 9:25pm On Mar 31, 2009
Must there be an evidence of drunk driving in times past before the full weight of the law is applied? Or how do you people reason at times? She was stated to be drunk and engaged in reckless driving. For that, she got the weight measure of the law. If you start running case scenarios with and from America, just because you are looking for a point to prove, you smack of low intelligence.

If you don't have evidence, how do you then determine the person is drunk?. The only mistake she made was fleeing after the accident but that can be excused in Nigeria because of what is bound to happen to her if she stayed put.

Just do not let me grab my hands on you. I would show what a real man does to a woman like you.
Khai comot from ma face , you can't even impregnate even the octomom that has been proven to be very fertile. Why should i want you in my bed?. You want your family to file for another manslaughter charge on my head and demand for the services of Ibinabo's judge? tongue tongue tongue

So her being a ''spoilt brat'' as acclaimed by you validates her rambunctiousness and misdemeanor to the society? What nonsense would you not spit out tonight.
I said she's just a 'spoilt brat' and that's the major reason why people have so much animosity towards her but her being a 'spoilt brat' does not suffice for what she's accused for. You can't deny Mike adenuga or  Tony Elumelu justice and send them  to jail just because they have an attitude.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

1966: The Murder Of Brigadier Samuel Ademulegun And His Pregnant Wife / Why I Urinated On My Body - Tinubu / Ihedioha, Onyejeocha, Monalisa Chinda Seek Female Inclusion In Politics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.