Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,260 members, 7,815,420 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:07 PM

The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala (85258 Views)

History: Arhuanran -the Giant Warrior Prince Of Benin Kingdom / AZIA Yam Festival 2017 In Ihiala Anambra State / Anambra Man Laments Killing Of Pythons [PHOTOS] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by Nobody: 9:23am On Sep 01, 2015
focus7:
Funny!! If an Umuohi woman is maltreated a phyton appears in the house, the igbos better warn their eke not to appear in a Lagos compound, I swear it will be killed and be served as pepper soup. So primitive set of people going everywhere to make noise how they developed Lagos, Abuja and Kano while they lives with phytons in their village.

What have you achieved for yourself in lagos?
As a yoruba guy, what part of lagos economy have you manipulated to your advantage?

11 Likes

Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by neocortex: 9:23am On Sep 01, 2015
NigAmbassador:
Such culture is found only in Amambra state. In my igbo community, we murder such evil creatures... #war_mood

Western stooge, why insult this beautiful culture
just because you don't like it. Its a common theme
with people who lack identity to insult others,

1 Like

Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by Nobody: 9:26am On Sep 01, 2015
BabyDaddy20:

You sound stupid.
The culture can only be found in ANAMBRA STATE ??
Mention only 2 towns in Anambra state that entertains such culture
the whole Nnewi axis don't kill Eke. Nnewi south, Nnewi North and Ekwusigo LGA

1 Like

Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by repogirl(f): 9:26am On Sep 01, 2015
wacoj:

I schooled in Anambra state and i know that this nonsense culture is VERY pronounced there.
Go to a place like NIBO or NISE in Awka south LGA, they practice same culture.
The funny thing is that they are also scared of going close to eke when they see one.
I once challenged a native of the town to touch it if it doesn't bite.
My fellow students once killed a very giant eke at night and NO shit happened.

I am from Abia state and we kill anything called snake. They are evil.
well, I schooled in okija where we saw these snakes a lot.

One time we were outside the school gates, along the road one was lying down and then one of the guys carried it with his bare hand into the school and the snake did nothing. I dont know what he did with the snake though.

1 Like

Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by NnamdiN: 9:30am On Sep 01, 2015
EggovinMma:

Is it Oba or Aba, sorry is it along the Onitcha awka road or the Onitcha Imo road?
it's Oba, I don't really know what that road is called if I were to guess, I think it would be along onitsha Imo road... not very familiar with my state embarassed

2 Likes

Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by scholes0(m): 9:30am On Sep 01, 2015
mexzony:
I am from ihiala but not from the said community but in my own community it is the same.you do not kill it.
When I traveled back in January as my bro and I were coming out from our extended family home on top of our bike we saw snake marks on the ground and then my bro said a snake just passed and lo and behold when we turned our backs we saw the snake crossing the road and here the thing people were just passing by without even doing anything like as if the snake was a human going about its own business.
It crossed the entire road and people would just look at it and move on like it was a normal way of life.
My bro even wanted to go and take a closer look but since he is well accustomed to the village and me am a city boy I was like what in the world are you trying to do?
There is even a snake market of sort and a shrine for it.

Interesting. smiley
Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by emeke042(m): 9:30am On Sep 01, 2015
okooloyun1:
No wonder babes that come from that side go dey wrap their body all over you when u dey yans*h them.
lolzz,guy is wa 4 u ooooo
Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by focus7: 9:31am On Sep 01, 2015
EggovinMma:

What have you achieved for yourself in lagos?
As a yoruba guy, what part of lagos economy have you manipulated to your advantage?
You won't know even if I tell you, but if you want me to show a proof try send your snake around and you will see how I butcher it to pieces. You know what, now I know why igbo people manifest snake spirit at deliverance.
Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by djkirkoo2(m): 9:33am On Sep 01, 2015
Go to Nembe & Brass town in Bayelsa state, You'll see Python moving freely on the streets, you dare not kill them because its their god. Houses are even built for them.

3 Likes

Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by Nobody: 9:33am On Sep 01, 2015
NnamdiN:
it's Oba, I don't really know what that road is called if I were to guess, I think it would be along onitsha Imo road... not very familiar with my state embarassed

Yes, thank you.I think oba is the Onitcha Imo way.
Aba is the Onitcha awka way.
My village is around the later. cheesy
Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by 1bunne4lif(m): 9:34am On Sep 01, 2015
BabyDaddy20:
Sorry. We don't practice such culture in Anambra state.
shut up! Speak for yourself

2 Likes

Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by Luckygurl(f): 9:36am On Sep 01, 2015
litetias:
How come I never witnessed this during my five years stay at Madonna, Okija?

The only weird thing I witnessed was when we found one old woman sitting on the high school fence behind our hostel one night in 2007.
She claimed to be a messenger from the goddess of Okija river and warned us that our pee used to find its way to the river and the goddess was angry.
From that day till I left I stopped peeing in that gutter.

LMFAO!!!!!
The fear of okija river godess is the be beginning of wisdom.

3 Likes

Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by Me2You225(f): 9:37am On Sep 01, 2015
this does not happen in Anambara alone there are some communities that have it in Imo State like Umuaka in Mbaitolu LGA
Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by scantee(m): 9:38am On Sep 01, 2015
Where i come from in Enugu State we kill anything that look like snake weather Eke or `Eke` , gush cant even stand the sight of green snakes talk more of python
Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by dayo23(f): 9:38am On Sep 01, 2015
okooloyun1:
No wonder babes that come from that side go dey wrap their body all over you when u dey yans*h them.
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by NnamdiN: 9:40am On Sep 01, 2015
EggovinMma:

Yes, thank you.I think oba is the Onitcha Imo way.
Aba is the Onitcha awka way.
My village is around the later. cheesy
lol nairaland teaching us about us since time Imo river cheesy

1 Like

Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by Osyxcel(m): 9:40am On Sep 01, 2015
softysparky:
Wow will try and get one as a pet.

For your mind. You fit wait if you see snake undecided
Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by adedayourt(m): 9:40am On Sep 01, 2015
Anaconda
Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by Topman0001(m): 9:42am On Sep 01, 2015
lastmessenger:
this is superstition.
i won't agree with ur opinion, here in ondo state, my former gateman from the east had a quarel with his wife and a python came visiting. He killed the python and ate, beleiving nothing would happen bcuz he's not in his native land. The wife refused to eat from the forbidden meat. In short time an undiagonizable sickness started and the gateman was taken to his village where he passed away. So i won't believe its superstition.

1 Like

Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by Luckygurl(f): 9:42am On Sep 01, 2015
focus7:
You won't know even if I tell you, but if you want me to show a proof try send your snake around and you will see how I butcher it to pieces. You know what, now I know why igbo people manifest snake spirit at deliverance..

Ignorance is not a good thing...

2 Likes

Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by uzo4real(m): 9:44am On Sep 01, 2015
Am from Idemili LG.... i see Pythons ocassionaly in my compound in the villa. People even talk to them and they obey ooo. God help us all.
Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by STEREOV4545: 9:45am On Sep 01, 2015
People from that community will look malnourished. How can u see such a delicious meat and u will not kill it and eat it........
Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by macof(m): 9:47am On Sep 01, 2015
Ewe-Fon people also regard pythons sacred, associated with Water Goddesses
Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by ideatoprince18(m): 9:47am On Sep 01, 2015
missKiffy:
Bloody yeebos, if it is another tribe now they will start crying and wailing as if na them holy pass, and na them worse pass
....... lol....I Neva expected a more sensible statement from a stewpid fool like you.....tribal monkey!!!!!

2 Likes

Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by Nobody: 9:47am On Sep 01, 2015
ECOTERRORS:
the whole Nnewi axis don't kill Eke. Nnewi south, Nnewi North and Ekwusigo LGA

Based on two experiences I had in Nnewi in 2008 - 2009, I daresay that Nnewi people (or at least some of them) no longer take this tradition serious.

1 Like

Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by Nobody: 9:48am On Sep 01, 2015
Osyxcel:

For your mind. You fit wait if you see snake undecided
Don't try me oooo. Happy new month.
Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by Alihkizito(m): 9:51am On Sep 01, 2015
Hi dear.... How was yah nite!!??
Today,whatsoever u lay hand on, You shall prosper... Dear...
As for that eke, hmmm.....
Tryin to think what my LGA in anambra state says about theirs.

INTROVERT post=

37535874:

Sipping with swag.

a lot of people are sceptical about marrying an Umuohi woman.
Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by Nobody: 9:53am On Sep 01, 2015
macof:
Ewe-Fon people also regard pythons sacred, associated with Water Goddesses

Which is very interesting because the Igbo groups who hold the python sacred also associate them with water (river) deities, either Idemmili (a river that runs through Anambra) or Njaba (a river that runs through Imo).

Thus you hear the python referred to as either Eke Idemmili or Eke Njaba depending on the locale.

1 Like

Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by kingmekus(m): 9:55am On Sep 01, 2015
missKiffy:
Bloody yeebos, if it is another tribe now they will start crying and wailing as if na them holy pass, and na them worse pass
why do you like starting what you can't finish dem swear for you??

1 Like

Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by dinkyicon: 9:55am On Sep 01, 2015
chai see dz mumu ppl oooo does a python has venom.... no it doesn't so forget abt hissing or reverting d poison ignorant ppl
Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by dinkyicon: 9:55am On Sep 01, 2015
chai see dz mumu ppl oooo does a python has venom.... no it doesn't so forget abt hissing or reverting d poison ignorant ppl people of d bush

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Virgins Initiated Into Womanhood At Okrika Market Yesterday / Alaafin Adeyemi And His New Wife, Chioma (Photo) / The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.