Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,222 members, 7,815,278 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:05 AM

The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala (85254 Views)

History: Arhuanran -the Giant Warrior Prince Of Benin Kingdom / AZIA Yam Festival 2017 In Ihiala Anambra State / Anambra Man Laments Killing Of Pythons [PHOTOS] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by lekkie073(m): 10:15am On Sep 01, 2015
BabyDaddy20:

You sound stupid.
The culture can only be found in ANAMBRA STATE ??
Mention only 2 towns in Anambra state that entertains such culture
idemili north and idemili south local govt...
Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by Luckygurl(f): 10:15am On Sep 01, 2015
focus7:
You are right, I suggest guys needs screening equipment to screen girls from the south east lest they carry the one with python spirit.

Your case is very critical...

3 Likes

Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:15am On Sep 01, 2015
Rotimi47:
Told you Igbos are the most fetish people in Nigeria but they will keep trying to portray the Yorubas as fetish.Yes some Yoruba people are fetish but almost all Igbos are fetish.

brainless slave! manworshipper. dirty.
Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:16am On Sep 01, 2015
Hexzagon:
Outside cultural background, why kill harmless animals? Don't you know you're distorting the ecosystem? Is it until oyimbo say we shouldn't then we don't?... oya de don talk am, no kill am. Magana yakare

na soo brother. Unfortunately dey r blinded by der evil violent abrahamic faiths.

2 Likes

Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:17am On Sep 01, 2015
chigoizie7:

I also bet that in your town, u guys don't kill one particular animal, the ones u keep sacred, and if so, why den do u not respect other peoples tradition/norms when in their town?

As for going near or touching it? Its not because it bites but because that flowery and shiny skin gives one goose bums when seen.

Just like in Awka, they don't kill monkeys, go to awka u will see monkeys everywhere.

In umunede n delta, dey don't kill tortoise too.

I guess the people of akokwa in imo does not kill "okwa".

The list goes on and on, so, if u happen to find yourself in a particular area, please respect the tradition/customs of that people @least it breeds peaceful co-existence. It does not. Remove anting from your skin or health if u do that.

An old adage says, if u are in rome, behave like romans

Well said madame. May the Alusi bless you!
Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by nwadiuko1(m): 10:18am On Sep 01, 2015
EggovinMma:

Is it Oba or Aba, sorry is it along the Onitcha awka road or the Onitcha Imo road?
nwanna ibu google map?grin
Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by osalove247(m): 10:19am On Sep 01, 2015
No wonder babes that come from that side go dey wrap their body all over you when u dey yans*h them.

May God have mercy on you
Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:21am On Sep 01, 2015
per1:

It is good to learn any thing, every thing or learn nothing but please never fail to learn Jesus u need Him to eternal.
We serve things that are nothing,things that God have made us have dominion over, we
Claim that christainity which is a way of life is a borrowed culture, we serve unknown gods we have been so used to darkness that ligth looks foreign but let me say that the earth is the Lord and it fullness.

[size=38pt]
YOU SERVE A DEAD JEW CALLED jEsus!

NUFF SAID!

YOU SAY YOU ARE POWERFUL?

YET YOU CLING ONTO MOTHER NATURE FOR SUPPORT!

FOR FOOD, SHELTER, TO SURVIVE.

YOU CANNOT RESPECT NATURE? YOU ARE A HYPOCRITE![/size]
Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by osalove247(m): 10:22am On Sep 01, 2015
They are worshiping serpentine and marine spirits. A colleague once told me that even snakes crawl into people's room when he was schooling there. What they do is just pick and throw it out.
Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by Luckylife(m): 10:24am On Sep 01, 2015
PAGAN9JA:

jesSUS Is a DEAD god. an idol of the jews. a fvcked up man who died the death of a traitor.
pls don't bring curse upon urself. U are not been force to join it only meant for those that are willing to be saved. Be very careful

1 Like

Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:26am On Sep 01, 2015
focus7:
You won't know even if I tell you, but if you want me to show a proof try send your snake around and you will see how I butcher it to pieces. You know what, now I know why igbo people manifest snake spirit at deliverance.

just invite me to your church.

ill break the fake idols of your dead man-god jesus and burn your bibles and piss on your crucifix.

It wont do me any harm.

1 Like

Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by Nobody: 10:26am On Sep 01, 2015
CUM4WHAT:
u are a sthupid god4sakin barstard for publishn ur dads history. Foolishneess runs in ur vain.

Lmao. You better learn from my father and be successful. Laziness will only beget hate.Now get out! Anuofia!

4 Likes

Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by focus7: 10:27am On Sep 01, 2015
EggovinMma:

Well big you a bigot, a common bigot cannot tell what he has achieved, maybe I can tell you what my father, a man has achieved in his 30+ in lagos as a semi literate.

My father came to Lagos when he was around 25 years, a young man with a vision to succeed. My father started hawking medicine from one hospital to another, from mainland to the island, smelling under hot scorching sun.
My father, saved enough to rent a face me house, there he continued to visit local hospitals where he sold syringes, Ivs and cotton wools, first aid materials.
My father at some point did cabu cabu to sustain himself.
My father married my mom at 30 and had 6 children.
My father due to years of experience who started from small hospital later started supplying for big hospitals in the island and ikoyi
My father trained all 6 of us, presently we are 4 graduates, all for from Federal universities while the remaiining two is coming out soon, both from federal university as well.
My father has built his own house in lagos and in the village
My father is still struggling at age 58.Hell he just sent money for the recent surgery I did, not because I asked but because he felt until I get married, he is still responsible for me.

Let me remind you that my brothers are not here ON NL lazying around.Two of them are into my father business already. Let me also remind you that both has bought their own lands too from this age long business of running under hot scorching sun, this time around with suit and tie the took up after seeing the gain it would fetch them than working or waiting for employment.

I also want to remind you that for over 30 years, he paid his tax.
I want to remind you also that in his warehouse he was robbed countless times by thieves , Omo niles. He didn't call the police, because most of the yoruba guys then, he knew their parents. He will complain, forgive and then come home to mourn his loss.

Now I ask again, what have you achieved even as a graduate with technology at his disposal. What have you achieved as an Omo nile? Because my father didn't get the little he can boast of today by sitting down and waiting for manners to fall from heaven. He learnt Yoruba language so very well that I have seen him fit in perfectly well with Alayes of lagos island. When they break bottle, he breaks his own bottle.

Again, I ask did you start from scratch to get to where you are today?
. Wow, eggovinMma I didn't expect you take this too personal as most time we just came here to catch fun I never meant to hurt your emotion. My respect to your dad for all he has achieved through personal effort especially all he could have gone through to raise wonderful children like you. But then I don't always like this self trumpet blowing that is common with the igbos. You don't even know who is who on NL, the fact that we all come on this forum does not mean that we are bunch of non-achievers. I will take this anyway as though you are just growing up and you are still learning, soon you will grown enough to realise that only immature minds goes to broadcast their achievements in the public. I hope we should be friends, mark my moniker as I have marked yours.

2 Likes

Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:28am On Sep 01, 2015
scantee:
Where i come from in Enugu State we kill anything that look like snake weather Eke or `Eke` , gush cant even stand the sight of green snakes talk more of python

[size=28pt]WHERE I COME FROM, WE KILL CHRISTIANS ON SITE!

DIRTY HYPOCRITES LYK YOU.

P.S. IM FROM THE NORTH[/size].
Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by Nobody: 10:28am On Sep 01, 2015
PAGAN9JA:

Well said madame. May the Alusi bless you!

Lmao. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by ochedan(m): 10:28am On Sep 01, 2015
Respect People culture,practice,belief. I love Africa wit exceptional culture

1 Like

Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by harry509: 10:29am On Sep 01, 2015
Rapmoney:
In many places in Igboland, the python is regarded as a ‘sacred being’ which no one is expected to kill, harm or maltreat. It is an age-long observance because to most Igbo communities, Eke or python is seen as the symbol of the sea or river goddess. It protects and provides for the people, both in terms of wealth, fertility and long life. To the people, eke is a harmless ‘being’ and it is actually harmless to those who do not kill it. To them, eke symbolises peace, prosperity and abundance, especially in the waters.

At Umuohi, Okija, in Ihiala local government area of Anambra state, a man called Ukata Nnanna in an interview gave a clearer picture of why the eke has come to be regarded as being so sacred and in some places is worshipped as a goddess.

"The story of eke we have here is sacred and different. But before we go on, it is good to point out that the mystery surrounding eke is greater than most of us can actually understand. Our own case is quite peculiar. In the olden days, our people used to provide shelter for strangers. This was how the issue of eke became a symbol of respect and regards here in our village", Nnanna said, grinning and shaking his head repeatedly.

"There was one certain aged widow who was said to have been driven away by her husband people. She set out on a journey, a journey she did not know where it would take her. When she got to Umuohi, Okija, she stopped and begged our people to provide a place for her to rest her feet. She was by then too tired to continue on her way.

"Our people did not only give her a place to settle down, she was also asked to remain with us. Without knowing it, our people had given shelter and hope to a woman with plenty of mysterious powers. Before the woman died she made a lot of promises to our people. In the first place she asked that her house be built by the riverside. No one knew why she made that sort of request. But then at her death she decreed that no Umuohi woman should be maltreated by her husband people. And wherever she is married to, on the first night of her arrival, a python would appear to encourage and strengthen her. To date, this situation still exists; that once an Umuohi woman is being threatened at her husband’s place, a python appears, sometimes a very big one that would frighten people out of their wits. For this reason, a lot of people are sceptical about marrying an Umuohi woman.

"The woman did not even die. She turned into eke. She lives inside the Okpu stream or if you like river, which is along Owerri-Onitsha road, Anambra state. There you can see this big python and it comes out once the sun is out to suntan. This is what it does everyday. It is so huge that a lot of people are scared of it," Nnanna stressed. "But we the Umuohi people are not," he boasted.

The python which is called eke ogwugwu-mili therefore is said to be the mother of all the pythons that litter the length and breath of Igboland. Today, anyone who kills or maims eke either knowingly or unknowingly is compelled to buy all the necessary materials with which to bury it. These range from white cloth, to coffin, kola nuts, white chalk and so on. The coffin would be placed in a conspicuous place where passers-by are wont to pay condolences and show some sign of remorse. Where one fails to bury the eke in the traditional way, more stringent punishments will be placed on him and members of his family. Sometimes he would be ostracised or banished from the land depending on the circumstances of the death of the python. Some even have small pox sickness placed on them.

It is because of all these that eke does not bite the natives of Okija and other places where these observances are made. If eke bites one by error, all it does is to hiss, and then the bite will have no effect on the person. Even then, Christians also obey the law; they too do not kill eke. Why would anyone kill it when it does not harm him? Some people would often ask. Eke is a common sight in many places in Igboland where they are at liberty to crawl without let or hindrance. There is the eke Idemili (for Idemili, river). There is also eke Ogba which is supposed to be the king of all the pythons. That one lives inside huge forests and so has no contact with human civilization.

Each area gives the eke a name according to what it does for them and the deity it represents. For some, it is eke atamili’ or eke nkwo ocha, all in the name of what place it has in their communal lifestyle and existence. Today at Umuohi, Okija, eke still remains their symbol, some kind of rallying point. And you are not expected to treat their daughters with disdain and disrespect.

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/archive2/tblnews_Detail.php?id=26454
goood 4 tourism...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by o42austino(m): 10:29am On Sep 01, 2015
osalove247:
They are worshiping serpentine and marine spirits. A colleague once told me that even snakes crawl into people's room when he was schooling there. What they do is just pick and throw it out.
stop talking trash pls, all Igbo communities kill Sneaks but,not all kills Python.

2 Likes

Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by focus7: 10:30am On Sep 01, 2015
PAGAN9JA:

just invite me to your church.

ill break the fake idols of your dead man-god jesus and burn your bibles and piss on your crucifix.

It wont do me any harm.
OK this thursday I invites you to MFM camp along Lagos-Ibadan express road, and on sunday I invite you to Synagogue church at Ikotun.
Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:30am On Sep 01, 2015
CashVessel:

You strike me as an slowpoke. What needs is there to insult Jesus or Christians, are you the custodian of the culture, don't we all have similar cultures?

na ur papa is slowpoke! wasted sperm!

how dare slave-borns lyk you insult the religion and customs of our forefathers on OUR LAND.

do u know that jesus was a dead jewish hippie. a backward tool that has been abandoned by the west and will die in Nigeria too?
Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by ScobaXL: 10:30am On Sep 01, 2015
WOW... thats one hell of a python .. check www.gistmii.com/
Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:31am On Sep 01, 2015
Luckylife:
pls don't bring curse upon urself. U are not been force to join it only meant for those that are willing to be saved. Be very careful

fvck u and ur entire generation and ur dead god jesus.

powerless dirty jew .
Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by o42austino(m): 10:33am On Sep 01, 2015
osalove247:
nobody worship them,they are culture and we are asked to not kill them since they harm no one but we don't worship them.

Culture is the people's way of life.

2 Likes

Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by Rapmoney(m): 10:33am On Sep 01, 2015
focus7:
Funny!! If an Umuohi woman is maltreated a phython appears in the house, the igbos better warn their eke not to appear in a Lagos compound, I swear it will be killed and be served as pepper soup. So primitive set of people going everywhere to make noise how they developed Lagos, Abuja and Kano while they lives with pythons in their village.
Do you have an atom of sense in your skull? I doubt!!!
Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:34am On Sep 01, 2015
focus7:
OK this thursday I invites you to MFM camp along Lagos-Ibadan express road, and on sunday I invite you to Synagogue church at Ikotun.

Sorry your location is too far from where I reside.
but..
Dont worry! I have got contacts in Ogboni and other associations in Lagos.

weve seen how u xtians go running and hiding in fear when our Oro is let loose.

And btw soon we will start a mission to spread Ifa within Oyo and other neighbouring states. still holding talks. ur dirty jew worship will soon be history.

and i repeat it again..

FVCK JESUS. if hes so powerful ..let him strike me down that dirty jewish b.astrd.
Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by Nobody: 10:35am On Sep 01, 2015
focus7:
. Wow, eggovinMma I didn't expect you take this too personal as most time we just came here to catch fun I never meant to hurt your emotion. My respect to your dad for all he has achieved through personal effort especially all he could have gone through to raise wonderful children like you. But then I don't always like this self trumpet blowing that is common with the igbos. You don't even know who is who on NL, the fact that we all come on this forum does not mean that we are bunch of non-achievers. I will take this anyway as though you are just growing up and you are still learning, soon you will grown enough to realise that only immature minds goes to broadcast their achievements in the public. I hope we should be friends, mark my moniker as I have marked yours.

Well, I ain't trying to blow a trumpet to belittle anybody. You started this immaturity by insulting igbos in other places, struggling to survive. My father's story isn't a strange one, it's almost same as every igbos who migrate to foreign lands to survive. Nothing goes for free in this country, for every penny you will be exploited even by those who harboured you.

I think everybody needs to start respecting each other, be it the guest or the host. Cheers!

3 Likes

Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by kinibigdeal(m): 10:35am On Sep 01, 2015
Marry an indigene of that state, marry marine spirit alongside. No wonder many of them behave like a python
Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by Nobody: 10:37am On Sep 01, 2015
Linqsz:

Fixed ...we do no such thing
sorry bro... i got u on this... i am from orlu, Umunna orlu precisely so tell me something else
Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by Luckylife(m): 10:38am On Sep 01, 2015
PAGAN9JA:

fvck u and ur entire generation and ur dead god jesus.

powerless dirty jew .
may GOD forgive u. Is this how ur primitive dirty religion teach u to react in a civilised discussion ? Ur gods must be crazy
Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by ogoom: 10:39am On Sep 01, 2015
To Pagan7
Please don't go about insulting Jesus Christ. you are just human battling with he you do not see but only know His manifestations. Honour he who respect is due.
This pythons you are defending can be killed by human hand and can be seen by any, but this my God and lord Jesus Christ which you cannot see and you stand to battle with him?
Who said he is a dead Jews, see your ignorant. He is alive and the only that have ever died and risen in three days. And even His apostles that doubted touched him and believed. And when he ascended to heaven, His apostles and people's today who believes in him, performs many signs and wonders in His name.
A wise person does not fight His God or who he doesn't know His essence or limit or fully understand. Be wise and act right.
Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by NnamdiN: 10:41am On Sep 01, 2015
PAGAN9JA:

it wont fade. that dirty christianity u ppl profess will fade just lyk it has faded in London.

Nigeria must progress!
lol pagan9ja I don't even know the way to my village you think I care about what happens to a python?
If it's not affecting my bank account and my sexual life(far more important stuff grin grin), they can all go extinct for all I care...
Not defending "Nigerian christianity" though, I have my reservations about the way we practice it in nigeria.
Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:42am On Sep 01, 2015
EggovinMma:

Well big you a bigot, a common bigot cannot tell what he has achieved, maybe I can tell you what my father, a man has achieved in his 30+ in lagos as a semi literate.

My father came to Lagos when he was around 25 years, a young man with a vision to succeed. My father started hawking medicine from one hospital to another, from mainland to the island, smelling under hot scorching sun.
My father, saved enough to rent a face me house, there he continued to visit local hospitals where he sold syringes, Ivs and cotton wools, first aid materials.
My father at some point did cabu cabu to sustain himself.
My father married my mom at 30 and had 6 children.
My father due to years of experience who started from small hospital later started supplying for big hospitals in the island and ikoyi
My father trained all 6 of us, presently we are 4 graduates, all for from Federal universities while the remaiining two is coming out soon, both from federal university as well.
My father has built his own house in lagos and in the village
My father is still struggling at age 58.Hell he just sent money for the recent surgery I did, not because I asked but because he felt until I get married, he is still responsible for me.

Let me remind you that my brothers are not here ON NL lazying around.Two of them are into my father business already. Let me also remind you that both has bought their own lands too from this age long business of running under hot scorching sun, this time around with suit and tie the took up after seeing the gain it would fetch them than working or waiting for employment.

I also want to remind you that for over 30 years, he paid his tax.
I want to remind you also that in his warehouse he was robbed countless times by thieves , Omo niles. He didn't call the police, because most of the yoruba guys then, he knew their parents. He will complain, forgive and then come home to mourn his loss.

Now I ask again, what have you achieved even as a graduate with technology at his disposal. What have you achieved as an Omo nile? Because my father didn't get the little he can boast of today by sitting down and waiting for manners to fall from heaven. He learnt Yoruba language so very well that I have seen him fit in perfectly well with Alayes of lagos island. When they break bottle, he breaks his own bottle.

You know, when I see sone ignorant folks make jest of igbos who sell lacasera and petty things on the streets, I just laugh. Because I am a product of such struggle. My father did that. My father, as an igbo man isn't a lazy man. My father is more than a man, he is a warrior. He has achieved what most graduates can never achieve in 50 years! The experience I learnt from being the daughter of an igbo man is exactly what I can't get in the university, be it in the north west or in the East. As woman, I carried cartoon of syrings, as a woman I supplied drugs to hospitals, just like my father.You as a guy can never compete with me when it comes to business. I will best you even when I am seriously sick.

Again, I ask did you start from scratch to get to where you are today?

Madame that was very touching.

that guy is a dirty bas.tard and ignorant fool who still has nlt realised that in his own turf the GODS (Orisha) hold power over that dead sticks and jews he worships.

Every Monarch is crowned by the grace of Ifa and the Orisha.

He is madman.

Gods bless your father, your tribe, your culture, your ancestors beliefs etc.

no dirty agbero has the right to insult it in such a manner.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Virgins Initiated Into Womanhood At Okrika Market Yesterday / Alaafin Adeyemi And His New Wife, Chioma (Photo) / The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 121
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.