Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,239 members, 7,818,818 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:42 AM

My Father Was A Governor, But I’m Dying Of Poverty – Barkin Zuwo’s Son - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / My Father Was A Governor, But I’m Dying Of Poverty – Barkin Zuwo’s Son (8342 Views)

Suhaila Ibrahim-El-Zakzaky: How My Father Was Arrested / 5 Months As A Governor, I Am Already Tired - El Rufai / Graphic Pictures Of Children Killed By Fulani In Barkin Ladi, Plateau State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Father Was A Governor, But I’m Dying Of Poverty – Barkin Zuwo’s Son by Hauwa1: 11:53am On Apr 04, 2009
Tpia,

I agree with you. i feel for him. . . if only i can give him a little help to start somewhere. he should have stayed in CA  lipsrsealed and work.

nobody in nig owes him anything. so he shouldn't blame anyone. 18 children is just too much for a single guy. how did he do it sef? some guys with their flying sperms lipsrsealed
Re: My Father Was A Governor, But I’m Dying Of Poverty – Barkin Zuwo’s Son by lucabrasi(m): 4:07pm On Apr 04, 2009
naijaking1:

Yeah, It's the same Alhaji Sabo Barkin Zuwo of the fanta, coca-cola-mineral fame. He was never a minister though.

@Lucabrasi
Let me get this. Are you saying that because this guy's father was a governor, we somehow owe him something? Bye way of pension and gratuity?? While we don't know the status of his pension, etc, let's not forget that there are 4 wives, 18 other children by the late governor. Anyone of them could have collected his pension.
Anyway, whether one retired as a governor or a gardiner one needs to have their pension paid, and on time too. Late payment of pensions is one of the problems in Nigeria, and this guys' case should be no exception.
exactly what im saying,an ex governor level even juxtaposing it with the civil service will be on a very senior scale in pension calculation,not just because the man was a govenor but by virture of the fact that our constitution makes provision for a pension package for him,while we really dont know one way or the other if the pension has been claimed,we know what the man wrote in the papers i.e that apart from handouts from the man's former associates,they have not been able to get any other money, the bolded i totally agree with and has been my focal stance right from the get go, im not concerned about his family/domestic life or how many wives or children he left behind,as that will not be a factor in calculating whatever funds he is entitled to.

iReport:

Once again, you are not so sure he didn't own properties but gave it out to his concubines before his death OR one of his grown children squandered his loot and left the younger ones penniless. That guy is Hausa, had it been he is yoruba, he will tell you what happened to his fathers wealth and how the first son squandered it with women without hiding anything.

yes,im not so sure,but neither are you as well,like i wrote above,what we know at this point is the fact that other than the handouts they have been receiving from the man's associates, he didnt mention any official funds or pensions package,which i believe he would have mentioned, so are we starting some tribal stereotypes here now?cause it seems to me that irrespective of the true position of issues,you seem to be saying his ethnicity is not might be an important factor in him concealing otherwise important information, i totally disagree with that.
iReport:

Being loaded is relative because Dangote is loaded as well as Pasuma wonder but the degree of their "loadedness" varies. Kola Abiola is not half as rich as his dad and he destroyed his fathers massive business empire. Was it not his younger brother sometime last year that was facing ejection by his landlord in Allen ave.
the peculiar thing about him i.e kola is that he is loaded whichever parameter you want to measure him with,the fact that he doesnt involve or concern himself with politics isnt taking that fact away,there are many billionaires in nigeria that we dont hear their names and have you considered the fact that kola abiola might have gone underground due to his father's experiences?i was reading an online article about a man michael prest,have you heard his name before?yet he is a billionaire and nigerian residing in nigeria, have you heard of the ayam osigwes before?yet they are billionaires many times over and jimmy carter regularly sleeps over at their house in g.r.a lagos
as for kola abiola's younger brother facing ejection,i never heard of that and find it hard to believe,however im sure you know that not everyone bearing the abiola name has acess to the man's funds and properties,many are not even his biological child which was found out after his death.
iReport:

The truth is that the Abiola's are yet to show at least half the first class business acumen their dad had.I think entering into politics may help him[kola] to recoup the lost wealth because he is capable of looting Ogun state to blindness. I do not consider Kola a successful businessman because he is obviously having a good time from his father's reserve.What do you mean by pension package?. His pension died with him now. Should the govt continue to pay a dead man pension?. The govt paid him to take care of his children which includes sending them to school which will clear the path for a brighter future rather he decided to accumulate more women with his salary.
again,i diagree with you,the fact that they dont share their dad's ebullient personality or love for politics doesnt automatically mean that they dont have his business acumen,for instance doyin abiola is the chairman of a micro finance bank yet not many people knows this and would have readily dismissed her offhand because they dont hear much about her anymore,how can barkin zuwo's pension dies with him?
if a man dies,his family are still entitled to his pensions and any gratuity coming to him,thats the purpose of the next of kin section of the forms,
again,you r jumping to unproven conclusions and making unsubstantiated allegations to suit your stance,nowhere in the article did the man say that the government sponsored their education,and even if they didnt o to school,shpuld that preclude them from their right as it were?what level of education did dangote have?
Re: My Father Was A Governor, But I’m Dying Of Poverty – Barkin Zuwo’s Son by lucabrasi(m): 4:40pm On Apr 04, 2009
FACE:

@Lucabrasi, I do not think that you knew Sabo Barkin Zuwo at all. He won the state election after Rimi decamped from PRP to NPP. He was Kano state governor for 3 months between 0ct 83 and Dec 83 when Buhari struck.

He made a name for being illiterate and not being able to distinguish between Fanta and solid mineral. "We hab flenti minaral por Kano, we hab za mirinda, za panta and za Kwoka kwola" Yeah that was him.

agreed but,i really dont think having a reputation for being an illiterate is the worst one can be known for considering the reputation of the so called professors,chemistry lecturers e.t.c we have in our polity do you?btw remember the incidence of the man who drank how many cups of tea?was it tafawa balewa or waziri?still didnt stop him achieving did it?
FACE:

About the highlighted part of you statement, will you have a change of opinion if you found that (according to Buhari and co) he was caught with cartons of money totalling about 3.6 million Naira (when naira was naira) when Buhari stuck. Not bad for a guy who'd only been in town for three months huh ? Buhari went on to Jail him to serve millions of years in jail to run "concurrently" alongside many other govs.

in other words,was it an unproven allegation?
b the way,i happen to know a prominent npn member who was jailed during this time as well on trumped up charges of corruption which he denied,when he took the millitary guys doing the investigation round his properties,they asked him if he built all these in 3 months, is that possible??
the point im making is that while like you asserted earlier,i dont know the man neither do i know the level of his moral probity,i know for sure that the story i relatedis a true story in which i know the man it happened to,secondly the millitary way of doing things is different from the law so i really dont think this counts as a man being corrupt,moreso as the article made it clear through his son that he only had one property,and we know hausas are not yorubas or ibos who spray sunny ades and obeseres with wads of naira
[quote ]

I cannot vouch for the man's innocence or otherwise, but you cannot vouch either way too.

[/quote]
exactly,so we should keep an open and objective mind on this issue
[quote author=FACE link=topic=257522.msg3687957#msg3687957 date=1238841626]

Back to the point, people are not entitled to better lives than others just because their parents held important political offices !!! They are not different from the children of everyday civil servants. I will tell you the only exceptions; those whose parents surrendered their lives while serving the people. Frontline soldiers, officials murdered in the line of duty etc.

Even so, the children of those people are not entitled to a life of luxury funded the government, but a good lifestyle to ensure they continue to maintain the same living standard before the death of their parent/spouse in addition to help with their education.

its not about them bettering their lives by virture of their dad's office,but having a basic standard of living,it is not about them but about the office their father held,and his entitlements as a former governor and senator,if you hold the office of a governor in america for 1 month,you are addressed as a governor,in you hold the office of a president,you are called that for life and you have some pension package that goes with the office,are senior civil servants not entitled to a pension package commensurate to their office??talk less of a governor.

exactly my stance,i am advocating for a "good life" and that is what the man is asking for as well,not a mansion in abuja or ikoyi
Re: My Father Was A Governor, But I’m Dying Of Poverty – Barkin Zuwo’s Son by idupaul: 5:22pm On Apr 04, 2009
Stupid story, he alone is to blame for his woes, afterall he was sent on a technicians course , all he is doing now is embarass his family by granting that interview
Re: My Father Was A Governor, But I’m Dying Of Poverty – Barkin Zuwo’s Son by sleekdoc: 7:20pm On Apr 04, 2009
This fart should take a look at people like Femi Otedola and shut the shit up.  Femi has gone on to make much more money than his father who was also a governor ever did.
    Weak minded fellow who has wasted God given oppurtunities while waiting for someone to come and take care of all his problems for him
Re: My Father Was A Governor, But I’m Dying Of Poverty – Barkin Zuwo’s Son by FACE(m): 8:13pm On Apr 04, 2009
Lets face it Lucabrasi, we know that the man was not referring to the dad's entitlement or lack of, as to why he is suffering.

His dad's entitlement will not even scratch the surface of the good life he craves for when split between 18 people who will in turn share their own portions with their own immediate families. He should go and struggle like the rest of us as Kano state is not eternally indebted to the Zuwo lineage. They are not obliged to offer them more than they are entitled to.

By the way his dad was found guilty of corruption by the military tribunal at the time and neither you nor I can say that all judgements by the tribunal were reached as a result of false accusations. The tribunal said that they had proof so they jailed him, therefore it was not an unproven allegation as far as the supreme law of the land at the time was concerned.
Re: My Father Was A Governor, But I’m Dying Of Poverty – Barkin Zuwo’s Son by Sagamite(m): 8:38pm On Apr 04, 2009
18 children by someone that does not know the difference between mineral resources and beverages?

This man is now claiming someone owes him and his siblings something when he had a priviliged background to develop himself but went to study printing?

Lucabrasi, how much are you hoping the man's pension should be even if he was a saint in office? How much do you think it should be that will sustain 18 children and 4 wives?

Patapata, at the most generous for a public servant, N400K per month. How far will that go for 18 CHILDREN?

Nigeria owes them nada!!! Neither does his father's former associates or Kano state government.

If you can not develop yourself in your youth (despite being privileged) to sustain your future and lifestyle, TO HELL WITH YOU!
Re: My Father Was A Governor, But I’m Dying Of Poverty – Barkin Zuwo’s Son by iReport: 8:54pm On Apr 04, 2009
yes,im not so sure,but neither are you as well,like i wrote above,what we know at this point is the fact that other than the handouts they have been receiving from the man's associates, he didnt mention any official funds or pensions package,which i believe he would have mentioned, so are we starting some tribal stereotypes here now?cause it seems to me that irrespective of the true position of issues,you seem to be saying his ethnicity is not might be an important factor in him concealing  otherwise important information, i totally disagree with that.
There is no tribalism here. Government cannot continue to pay you pension after your demise, point blank. Should the Awolowos, Fajuyis, Azikiwes, Okparas, Balewas, Mbadiwes, Ironsis etc be receiving pension from the government because their fathers served in the top echelon of the Nigerian government?

the peculiar thing about him i.e kola is that he is loaded whichever parameter you want to measure him with,the fact that he doesnt involve or concern himself with politics isnt taking that fact away,there are many billionaires in nigeria that we dont hear their names and have you considered the fact that kola abiola might have gone underground due to his father's experiences?i was reading an online article about a man michael prest,have you heard his name before?yet he is a billionaire and nigerian residing in nigeria, have you heard of  the ayam osigwes before?yet they are billionaires many times over and jimmy carter regularly sleeps over at their house in g.r.a lagos
First of all, there is no billionaire in Nigeria known as ayam osigwe how much less Jimmy carter[a whole American ex president] sleeping in his house. That story is bogous and that's why we have Sheraton and Nicon Noga. undecided undecided

as for kola abiola's younger brother facing ejection,i never heard of that and find it hard to believe,however im sure you know that not everyone bearing the abiola name has acess to the man's funds and properties,many are not even his biological child which was found out after his death.
His younger brother that once married the daughter of a Zimbabwean minister. He is as broke as hell now and that is Simbiat's son. I think his name is Lekan Abiola.

again,i diagree with you,the fact that they dont share their dad's ebullient personality or love for politics doesnt automatically mean that they dont have his business acumen,for instance doyin abiola  is the chairman of a micro finance bank [/b]yet not many people knows this and would have readily dismissed her offhand because they dont hear much about her anymore,how can barkin zuwo's pension dies with him?
Was it not Doyin that captained concord press and Habib bank before?. How successful do you think she is now even after standing on Moshood's pedestal? Any [b]microfinance institution is a concept and anybody can start it. If she really has any major game on her plate, she won't be bothered with this microfinance kini. Isn't that the same thing that landed pastor Adelaja in trouble few weeks ago? Microfinance ko majorfinance ni.  undecided undecided

if a man dies,his family are still entitled to his pensions and any gratuity coming to him,thats the purpose of the next of kin section of the forms,
again,you r jumping to unproven conclusions and making unsubstantiated allegations to suit your stance,nowhere in the article did the man say that the government sponsored their education,and even if they didnt o to school,shpuld that preclude them from their right as it were?what level of education did dangote have?
I don't think so. I think if you die, your family is only entitled to your death benefits accrued which is usually an option during your lifetime. The govt cannot continue paying a retired teacher her pension and still continue to pay it to her family even after death. I've not heard of that before.
Re: My Father Was A Governor, But I’m Dying Of Poverty – Barkin Zuwo’s Son by iReport: 9:02pm On Apr 04, 2009
@Lucabrasi:

This is the only valuable share Kola Abiola(Bank PHB) has in this world and he is being pushed around. Ask him to stop marrying more women, may be he can put his fathers empire together. BankPHB literally was Habib bank, Abiola's personal property.

FRANCIS ATUCHE OUTSMARTS YAR’ADUA, ABIOLA TO CONTROL BANKPHB

Mar 14th, 2009 | By Editor-in-Chief | Category: BREAKING NEWS, Feature Story, News
A major shuffle had been conducted on the Board of Directors of BankPHB. Mr Akin Kekere-Ekun, former Managing Director of legacy Habib Bank that merged with Platinum Bank to form BankPHB is said to have been eased out of the board of the bank for what sources close to the bank described as the strategic need to remove critical and knowledgeable opposition to the dominance of the bank’s board by Mr. Francis Atuche, the bank’s managing director and chief executive.

“This move is the latest maneuver by Mr. Atuche to position himself in total control of the bank.” The source said. “I guess more than anything else, the removal of Mr. Kekere Ekun from the board was to literarily remove the critical voice of knowledge from the board because, he alone, of the directors could stand up to whatever Mr. Atuche might be proposing to do out of context to the board. This director, with considerable experience in the affairs of banking would have provided the checks needed to ensure that the bank does not get involved in such decisions that led to the exit of two of its executive directors.” The source explained

Other reports confirm the strategic hands Atuche has been playing in the corporate plot to control the ownership structure of the bank where the President of Nigeria, Mr. Umar Musa Yar’Adua and his family hold substantial shares along with that of the late Chief MKO Abiola family, represented by Mr. Kola Abiola; who serves as the chairman, board of directors of the bank. Given the clout and standing of these families and their history of wealth, a twist of paradox now is in place with them now playing the minority on a board that they are supposed to wield near dominant influence. This has become a source of concern to some aides of the two dominant families who insisted that they are concerned with the goings on at BankPHB especially in consideration of how Mr. Atuche had been using his business relationship with the President and his wife, Mrs. Turai Yar’Adua to secure beneficial deals in government.

“Nobody begrudges Atuche the privilege of his connection to the first family. It is natural that he should leverage the opportunity of his relationship with the first family to make things happen, but I have heard of people near the President talk of a skewed relationship between him (Atuche) and the President.” The presidency source alluded.

“Most of these people are grumbling aloud about his (Atuche) frequent visits to Aso Rock Villa, mostly coming in at short notices and having the immediate attention of the President and the First Lady who attend to him in the expression of appreciation for the job he is doing by tending to the family’s banking business. These people talk of how, on the strength of this interaction with the first family, Atuche gets to meet ministers and other influential officials of state at the Villa, meetings that usually end up with favours for Atuche and his bank.”

The ill-feeling directed at Atuche is quite deep seated. One Aso Rock insider told Fortune&Class Weekly that the President, who was once a director in the legacy Habib Bank, had been outflanked and out maneuvered by Atuche in the scheme of things on the board of the bank. “Even as he (the president) lives, he has been turned into an inconsequential minority on the board of a bank that his family lineage was rated one of the majority shareholders before the merger with Platinum Bank to form Bank PHB. By 1998, the President had two million units of the shares of Habib Bank, this is beside the holding of his late brother, General Shehu Musa Yar’Adua. And to also show how strong Habib Bank was relative to Platinum Bank before the merger, the two banks shares exchange was in the ratio of 13 to 17, that is, an exchange ratio of 13shares of Habib Nigeria Bank Limited to 17 shares in Platinum Habib Bank Plc. I think we should be concerned.”

It would truly seem a matter of irony that some of the big names in Nigerian business and political firmament are listed on the board of BankPHB as minority shareholders. Atuche, who holds a direct investment of 7.01 percent of the shareholding structure of the bank, as of the current year end, is the single largest direct shareholder of the bank; with a possible indirect holding that confirms his position as the largest shareholder of the bank. Even, Mr. Abdul Lateef Kolawole Abiola who chairs the bank’s board holds a paltry 1.27 percent indirect holding in the bank. Mr. Murtala S.M Yar’Adua who is generally believed to represent the interest of the Yar’Adua family in the bank holds a combined direct and indirect holding amounting to 1.39 of the ownership structure of the bank.

The Aso Rock insider said those figures attributed to the Yar’Aduas and the Abiolas are curious.

“Is it not curious that in 2007, Abiola’s holding was 2.39 percent and the Yar’Aduas holding was 2.46 percent while Atuche’s holding was 7.58 percent. By simple calculations deriving from the ratio of shares exchanged during the merger, it is clear that the directors from legacy Habib Bank should be in the near majority but from what we have at the moment Atuche is in absolute majority on the bank’s board and using that to effect. To our mind, we think Atuche made good use of his position as the managing director,” the Aso Rock source argued.

The recent uproar over a multi-billion naira debt scandal involving BankPHB may have given impetus to the Yar’Adua family to start listening to the argument of close aides of the President on the need for the President to set off the process of enabling his family to take position for more dominant roles in the ownership structure of the bank.

Interestingly, it was an innocuous administrative stand-off between BankPHB and one of its customers over a normally routine protocol of loan disbursement of about N118 million that sets in motion a number of flash points, culminating in a crisis of confidence that placed Atuche, technically on the spot. His bank, as it were, has become the current issue in public discourse over the scandal, which, was the reason two Executive Directors and four managers of the bank ostensibly resigned, though inside sources in the bank offered that they were forced to resign. This sack, masqueraded as resignation is also reported to be generating bitterness among some category of staff of the bank who think that they were sacrificed to save Atuche’s face and control of the bank.

A presidency source confided in Fortune&Class Weekly that Atuche had, in recent time, become the target of major interest by the Yar’Aduas who holds minority shares in BankPHB but whose political status as the nation’s first family provides Atuche the opportunity to leverage on to secure juicy accounts for his bank. The source opines that a clear opportunity was provided the presidential aides that wanted the balance of the skewed ownership of the bank corrected, when the President and the First Lady were directly briefed on a matter into which the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission had commenced investigation.

As some other commentators have observed, the Yar’Aduas and Abiolas might have just recently woken up to the fact that they are at the small end of the minority scale on the bank’s board.

Mr. Charles Odibo, the bank’s divisional director, marketing and communication, in a written response to Fortune and Class enquiries to the allegation of manipulation of BankPHB’s ownership structure by Atuche insisted that “…BankPHB is a publicly quoted company and so our shares are listed on the floor of the NSE, which means the public can have access to our share structure. The simplest thing that you need to do is to check our published audited account since consolidation and you will clearly see the ownership structure of the bank. The share ownership is not shrouded in any mystery to warrant this unfounded and baseless speculation and allegation.”

As events would turn out, according to our sources, Francis Atuche was still managing this sentiment and the barely covered animosity of the presidential aides when officials of his bank were herded into EFCC’s detention cell, first in Lagos, where a report of a diversion had been magnified into the need to investigate the chunk of the billions of naira the bank had disbursed to its customers. An EFCC official offered that at this point, the issue had become so big that Mrs. Farida Waziri, the chief executive had to call for the files.

By the time the case files and the bank’s staff were moved to Abuja, news had filtered to the President and the First Lady of what was afoot at their bank and they were being constantly briefed. An official in the bank says Atuche did not bargain for the public row the EFCC’s intervention turned into, the source says Atuche panicked when it became clear the President was getting interested in the matter.

“The fact is that Atuche just became panicky over this issue because he was already under pressure by the people in Abuja. All these had, apparently, set off an uproar in Abuja and the banking industry, the presidential aides that had been pushing the president to find a way of getting his people to play more dominant roles in the management and ownership of the bank had enough ammunition to get at Atuche. A source suggested.

“I guess Atuche played the smart card by using very senior members of the management team as sacrificial lambs in a pre-emptive move to avert a situation that may see him holding the shorter end of the stick.” The bank staff offered.

“It sounds strategic enough; those people that were sacked were merely used as canon fodders for the collective decision and acts of the bank’s management, and those of Atuche’s. Is it possible for a bank to give out even one billion naira without the knowledge of the bank’s managing director? It is obvious it cannot be possible, so for those of us that merged with Platinum from Habib Bank, we think the sacking is unjust though there is little we can do about it.” The source said.

For the act of axing the directors and managers, there is, however, a predominant opinion in the bank that is anchored on the fact that the directors and the managers that were sacked actually agreed to self sacrifice in solidarity with Atuche according to a top notch member of the bank.

“Nobody should be worried about the fate of those people, they were well taken care of and they would continue to be well taken care of. The managing director is not mean hearted; I am reliably informed that they all have the commitment of the managing director to help them find their ways back to the banking industry before they were sacked. So I can tell you that the matter is still under control.”

This explanation finds congruence in the response of Odibo to Fortune&Class Weekly’s crosscheck: “No director of the bank was sacked.” Odibo asserted. “They honourably resigned and so we can’t see any relationship between their resignation and the Presidency.”

The moves by Atuche to protect his position and move ahead of the game has led to concerns as to the true ownership and source of acquisition of shares by the directors on the board. Only two weeks ago, Atuche was learnt to have met with a group of investors in Port Harcourt who had provided over N1 billion funds to his legacy platinum bank when he went cap in hand, begging to raise funds; and were given a seat on the board of the new BankPHB. But now, these were told by Atuche that their shareholding now accounted for so little and as such they would no longer be entitled to a board position.

http://fortuneandclassmag.com/?p=289
Re: My Father Was A Governor, But I’m Dying Of Poverty – Barkin Zuwo’s Son by chidichris(m): 8:57am On Apr 05, 2009
the issue here to me is that the guy was able to acquire a kind of knowledge in the usa and decided to come back nigeria.

from all indications, he is a prodigal son. he do drugs and give him 30.5 billion, little or no change will take place.

his picture tell who he is. this kind of idiot will not tell u the wasteful sides of his life.

do u need to have a gov as ur father to be successful i life.
Re: My Father Was A Governor, But I’m Dying Of Poverty – Barkin Zuwo’s Son by Nobody: 11:39am On Apr 05, 2009
@Topik.
What relationship have u with yor fa*her? Is it a father to son relatinship, huh.
Re: My Father Was A Governor, But I’m Dying Of Poverty – Barkin Zuwo’s Son by lucabrasi(m): 12:26pm On Apr 05, 2009
iReport:

There is no tribalism here. Government cannot continue to pay you pension after your demise, point blank. Should the Awolowos, Fajuyis, Azikiwes, Okparas, Balewas, Mbadiwes, Ironsis etc be receiving pension from the government because their fathers served in the top echelon of the Nigerian government?

lets assume for the sake of this discourse that government cannot continue to pay their pension,do you honestly think a one off pension paid to an ex governor will not give his family a comfortable life?google how much pension was paid to the governor before muazu babangida the present governor of niger state(forgotten his name)and you ll realise it was running into hundreds of millions of naira,these gys you mentioned shouldnt just have had their pensions paid,but government should take over their personal effects and compensate the family and use them as museum pieces,do you realise that nnamdi azikiwe's wife also cried out about this same thing this man is saying last year or 2007?google it and you ll find the story,and by the way she is educated and a university lecturer,so how would you justify that
iReport:

First of all, there is [/b]no billionaire in Nigeria known as ayam osigwe how much less Jimmy carter[a whole American ex president] sleeping in his house. That story is bogous[b] and that's why we have Sheraton and Nicon Noga. undecided undecided
His younger brother that once married the daughter of a Zimbabwean minister. He is as broke as hell now and that is Simbiat's son. I think his name is Lekan Abiola.

exactly my point,you dont know them and you never heard their names because they dont want anyone to do so,their family house is in g.r.a ikeja and they have been a part of every single government in nigeria,right from the late patriach of the family to the ensuing generations,the strange thing that brought them a little notce was the fact that they all wear white suits and any clothing from the oldest to the youngest,and [/b]yes jimmy carter sleeps over at their house[b] i am that sure because i know this for a fact,but i wouldnt want to disclose anyone's privates on an online portal,i cant put their address on here but i challenge anyone that lives or works in gra to find out who this family are,they own oil blocs,banks,real estates e.t.c and have all lived in the same house,they buy cars e.t.c at the same time e.t.c

as to lekan abiola,i still find that veeery hard to believe,as i have tried to give you the benefit of doubt by googling it and i came up with air,i dont believe it.
iReport:

Was it not Doyin that captained concord press and Habib bank before?. How successful do you think she is now even after standing on Moshood's pedestal? Any microfinance institution is a concept and anybody can start it. If she really has any major game on her plate, she won't be bothered with this microfinance kini. Isn't that the same thing that landed pastor Adelaja in trouble few weeks ago? Microfinance ko majorfinance ni. undecided undecided

i never said she started microfinance,i said she was heading a microfinance bank,what exactly do you mean it is a concept,in case you have been disconnected from happenstances in naij,do you realise there are microfinance banks operating now?http://www.imfb-bank.com/aboutus.html
yes,even you can start it,if you have a couple of hundred millions in your wallet to register,get the necessary deposits,running costs,and other logistics e.t.c. !!i dont know what pastor adelaja has to do with this??
iReport:

I don't think so. I think if you die, your family is only entitled to your death benefits accrued which is usually an option during your lifetime. The govt cannot continue paying a retired teacher her pension and still continue to pay it to her family even after death. I've not heard of that before.

again,let us even assume that pensions shouldnt be paid after the death,surely you agree that a man's pension package should be paid to his family?after all even retired soldiers and civil servants's families claim their pensions,you can easily google this fact or find out from anyone in nigeria, first,the guy by his own admission did not say anything about a point/issue as important as them having collected their father's pensions,all he said was thaT they have been helped out by charities from their father's former associates,second how much do you reckon a former governor's pension package will be worth considering how much has been paid to subsequent governors in some cases running into hundreds of millions?

its not like the guy didnt go through an institution,he did do the printing course thingy,he was just unlucky that his father wasnt there to get him the necessary machinery and stuffs to actualise his course and like i stated earlier,this is not peculiar to the barkin zuwo man,the very same thing is happening with the late nnamdi azikwe's widow,the story showed her compound overgrown with weeds,and the lady having to go back to teahing as no money was coming in and non government recognition both state and federal
@kola abiola and habib bank
surely,you know that isnt an indication that kola abiola isnt broke??if you inherited your father's businesses,obviously there will be concerns that you will divest yourself off,there ll be some that you might be dropped from solely for the fact that they only have a relationship with your father,some you dnt have an interest in, and you might want to try out your own ideas,dangote's family the dantatas,gave him money and he went in a different direction,otedola's dad was into printing press(impact press)but he veered in a different direction so this article is not proving much other than the fact that recapitalisations,shake ups e.t.c is inevitable in a business of this size and in the circumstances that his father died,
im sure you know enought about nigeria to know it is not as clear cut as a jeffrey archer novel,
Re: My Father Was A Governor, But I’m Dying Of Poverty – Barkin Zuwo’s Son by iReport: 4:52pm On Apr 06, 2009
lets assume for the sake of this discourse that government cannot continue to pay their pension,do you honestly think a one off pension paid to an ex governor will not give his family a comfortable life?google how much pension was paid to the governor before muazu babangida the present governor of niger state(forgotten his name)and you ll realise it was running into hundreds of millions of naira,these gys you mentioned shouldnt just have had their pensions paid,but government should take over their personal effects and compensate the family and use them as museum pieces,do you realise that nnamdi azikiwe's wife also cried out about this same thing this man is saying last year or 2007?google it and you ll find the story,and by the way she is educated and a university lecturer,so how would you justify that
Like I said before you don't know how much that was paid to this man as gratuity and pensions. Namdi Azikiwe was a president so their own case may be different. How many ex presidents do we have in Nigeria?. American ex presidents receive the same accolades like she requested. Ronald Reagan's wife is still getting stipends from the American govt.

exactly my point,you dont know them and you never heard their names because they dont want anyone to do so,their family house is in g.r.a ikeja and they have been a part of every single government in nigeria,right from the late patriach of the family to the ensuing generations,the strange thing that brought them a little notce was the fact that they all wear white suits and any clothing from the oldest to the youngest,and [/b]yes jimmy carter sleeps over at their house[b] i am that sure because i know this for a fact,but i wouldnt want to disclose anyone's privates on an online portal,i cant put their address on here but i challenge anyone that lives or works in gra to find out who this family are,they own oil blocs,banks,real estates e.t.c and have all lived in the same house,they buy cars e.t.c at the same time e.t.c
No matter what you say, Kola abiola cannot be compared to his iconic dad in the field of business and politics. he can't even match him in the field of accumulating women lol. cheesy

as to lekan abiola,i still find that veeery hard to believe,as i have tried to give you the benefit of doubt by googling it and i came up with air,i dont believe it.

PITY
, Quit notice haunts MKO Abiola’s son
By Linus Obogo (linusobogo@yahoo.com)
Saturday, May 5, 2007

•Lekan Abiola
More Stories on This Section
The last may not have been heard of the late politician and business mogul, Chief MKO Abiola’s children, almost ten years after his passage.

With everybody to himself, following their father’s death in military custody in 1998, life has been a mixed bag for some of the children who have since come to terms with surviving on their own.

But with that famous line “Life’s been a little bit hard on me”, made into a household jingle by Juice Newton in the 80s, it offers a glum insight into how surviving on their own has been for some of the Abiolas, particularly Lekan.

The eldest son of late Kudirat, MKO’s second wife, Lekan who is the chief executive of Kudi Oil has been going through a sticky patch, according to a source very close to him.
With an eviction order hanging on his neck like an albatross over unpaid rent arrears spanning four years for his Kudi Oil office complex located at 70 Allen Avenue, Ikeja, Lagos, and a near quit order from his rented apartment at 16B Sule Abuka Street, it’s been a rough road for Lekan to travel.

According to Saturday Sun investigation, Lekan, since 2003 has found it increasingly difficult to pay his rents, a development that prompted lawyers from Sofunde, Osakwe, Ogundipe & Belgore chambers, Leo Wallace Cochrance Junior, Jorge Wallace Simonsen Junior, Ronald Wallace Simonsen &Luis Vicente Barros Mattos Junior, landlords of the property to issue him a quit order dated Agust 2, 2006. Lekan has been tenant in the property since 2001.

The property in question was among many forfeited by Chief Emamanuel Nwude, by virtue of the judgment of the High Court, Lagos in charge No. ID/924/04, delivered on November 18, 2005.
At Lekan’s 16B Sule Abuka Street residence, where his rent is due to expire in July, 2007, Saturday Sun’s source disclosed that it was hell before he could raise the money to pay. It took him nine months to source the rent.

To highlight the chasm that has laid siege in the late businessman’s family, since his death, a scenario that has seen them pitch tents with varied political groups, Lekan was alleged to have approached the bank where his elder brother, Kola is a director for a loan facility to buy the property, which also houses a branch of Union Bank Plc when it was put up for sale by EFCC, but the loan could not pull through. And so Lekan consigned himself to remaining a tenant. Saturday Sun reliably gathered that he was actively involved in general Buhari’s electioneering and had actually facilitated the visit of the ANPP presidential candidate to the Ikeja family home of the Abiolas.

Renowned for his wealth and philanthropy, a source close to the family wondered what has gone wrong with all the goodwill MKO laboured to build during his lifetime. This ugly turn of event, he said has cast a slur on the management of the late chief’s estate.

Indeed, it is hard to believe, as a close family source expressed doubt that, any of Abiola’s children, not even after his death, would suddenly assume the status of tenant.
Even though Lekan has been allowed to stay put despite the eviction order, Saturday Sun gathered that this has been due largely to his father’s name.

With the odds stacked heavily against him, Lekan, it is understood, is prepared to head for the court in an effort to stave off his forcible ejection by lawyers managing the 70 Allen Avenue property, where his Kudi Oil office is located.

Until his death in 1998, it used to be rumoured that for every lady that carried MKO’s baby, he provided a house even before the baby was born. And how Lekan, one of the supposed beneficiaries of the late businessman’s estate suddenly regressed to being a tenant is rather difficult to comprehend. This development has left many to wonder: Could Lekan have mismanaged his share of the father’s estate? Or was he schemed out in the sharing formula? This becomes even more confusing viewed against the backdrop that Lekan is not even a regular face in the celebrity/social circuit. He is said to be very prudish and rigid – almost to the extent of being branded a religious fanatic. He even wears a beard like every Islamic cleric or scholar.

Barely scrounging, his Kudi Oil, according to the source, merely exists in name, as it has been in the doldrums even before he secured the licence.

Sometime in March, at one of the fast food joints on Allen, Lekan reportedly openly and bitterly confessed to a friend how life had gone from bad to worse for him.
With the July expiry date of his 16B Sule Abuka residence looming large, the question is, where does Lekan go from here? This is surely one question that former associates, friends and especially those who benefited from MKO’s large heartedness should ponder.

Life might not have completely crawled to a stop yet for Lekan, but then, the rich also cry.

Lekan reacts
Speaking to Saturday Sun during the week, Lekan said before the property reverted from Emmanuel Nwude to a new owner in 2005, he had paid for a space on the 7th floor of the building, but did not move in until 2003.

According to him, the delay in moving in was occasioned by the non-availability of facilities such as elevator and generating set. “In effect, I paid the rent in 2001, but only moved in 2003. Why I could not move then was because the landlord then (Nwude) had assured tenants that these facilities would be in place. Sadly, they were not fixed.”

Continuing, he said: “It would interest you to know that in addition to the rent, I also paid service charge for facilities that were never provided. So when I effectively moved in, in 2003, I expected that that was when my rent ought to have commenced. By 2005 when Nwude was convicted, he forfeited the property to a new owner, I later learnt was somebody close to President Obasanjo.”

Quit notice not because of insolvency
Lekan also countered that the quit order served him was not as a result of his insolvency. “The new owners wanted everybody out at all costs. In March this year, when I was away from the country, I learnt on my return that EFCC laid siege to the premises and locked up all the offices. They said they would only open the doors if we agree to pack, else, it would remain under lock. But two weeks ago, I spoke to lawyers to the owners and they assured me of a compensation or a period of grace, but as I speak to you (Saturday Sun), they never got back to me again.”

Lekan who said he no longer operates from the property, further disclosed: Owing to the stifling environment, my business was adversely affected, as my clients no longer find it convenient to come there for business.”
http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2007/may/05/national-05-05-2007-02.htm

i never said she started microfinance,i said she was heading a microfinance bank,what exactly do you mean it is a concept,in case you have been disconnected from happenstances in naij,do you realise there are microfinance banks operating now?http://www.imfb-bank.com/aboutus.html
yes,even you can start it,if you have a couple of hundred millions in your wallet to register,get the necessary deposits,running costs,and other logistics e.t.c. !!i dont know what pastor adelaja has to do with this??
That was what landed pastor Adelaja in hot soup and yes anybody with little connections can start it. It may be a very big feat for you and me but not for someone that stood on MKO's pedestal.

again,let us even assume that pensions shouldnt be paid after the death,surely you agree that a man's pension package should be paid to his family?after all even retired soldiers and civil servants's families claim their pensions,you can easily google this fact or find out from anyone in nigeria, first,the guy by his own admission did not say anything about a point/issue as important as them having collected their father's pensions,all he said was thaT they have been helped out by charities from their father's former associates,second how much do you reckon a former governor's pension package will be worth considering how much has been paid to subsequent governors in some cases running into hundreds of millions?
I think it was paid and they squandered it and no a thieving governor will continue to steal because it's motivated by greed and not want.

its not like the guy didnt go through an institution,he did do the printing course thingy,he was just unlucky that his father wasnt there to get him the necessary machinery and stuffs to actualise his course and like i stated earlier,this is not peculiar to the barkin zuwo man,the very same thing is happening with the late nnamdi azikwe's widow,the story showed her compound overgrown with weeds,and the lady having to go back to teahing as no money was coming in and non government recognition both state and federal
Azikiwe's status is different from Zuwo.
@kola abiola and habib bank
surely,you know that isnt an indication that kola abiola isnt broke??if you inherited your father's businesses,obviously there will be concerns that you will divest yourself off,there ll be some that you might be dropped from solely for the fact that they only have a relationship with your father,some you dnt have an interest in, and you might want to try out your own ideas,dangote's family the dantatas,gave him money and he went in a different direction,otedola's dad was into printing press(impact press)but he veered in a different direction so this article is not proving much other than the fact that recapitalisations,shake ups e.t.c is inevitable in a business of this size and in the circumstances that his father died,
im sure you know enought about nigeria to know it is not as clear cut as a jeffrey archer novel,
oooh whareva undecided
Re: My Father Was A Governor, But I’m Dying Of Poverty – Barkin Zuwo’s Son by Sunnybobo3(m): 6:44pm On Apr 06, 2009
Is that not Barkin Zuwo the former Kano State governor that was asked what mineral resources Nigeria had and he went on listing Coke, Fanta, Sprite etc. What then would U expect of his offspring.
Re: My Father Was A Governor, But I’m Dying Of Poverty – Barkin Zuwo’s Son by lucabrasi(m): 6:33pm On Apr 07, 2009
iReport:

Like I said before you don't know how much that was paid to this man as gratuity and pensions. Namdi Azikiwe was a president so their own case may be different. How many ex presidents do we have in Nigeria?. American ex presidents receive the same accolades like she requested. Ronald Reagan's wife is still getting stipends from the American govt.

true,neither do you know if any monies was paid or not,so the best we can do is glean from the informations available to us,which is the man's assertions that the only funds they got were handouts from their late father's former associates,im not comparing nnamdi azikwe's case with his, im just highlighting that case to show you it is very possible that they have neither received a pension or any form of severance pay for their dad.
the case with nigeria's is that if you are not in the corridors of power or know someone who knows someone or are relevant politically,then you will suffer the same thing the guy and his siblings are,its got nothing to do with government legislatio or the law so theres no basis for comparing it with the western world where the rule of law reigns
iReport:

No matter what you say, Kola abiola cannot be compared to his iconic dad in the field of business and politics. he can't even match him in the field of accumulating women lol. cheesy
PITY

i toally agree with that,but then again,what he lacks in politics,he might have in private business,we dont know that for sure,but we know that he is still living in luxury commensurate to his status,what his family went through is enough for any first son to desist from politics and associating with politicians like his dad did,the betrayals e.t.c remember he is not the only one neither is he the first shagari,alhaji alhaji amongst other notable politicians retired from politics to relative obscurity, its not an indication of them having a deficiense in politricks or financial wherewithal.

as for lekan abiola,i have read the article posted,and what i came away with is that of sensational journalism and some erroneous facts and half truths, they said the guy was evicted,he said he wasnt and took the pains to explain in details how he was caught in the cross fire of the nwude/efcc imbroglio,so how does that translate to being broke and evicted over non payment of rents,did you read the article in its entirety??

lets even assume that he was broke,remember that he is from a polygamous family,abiola or no abiola.so if the purse strings is firmly in the hands of kola and there r frictions between them both,it stands to reason that even if their dad left hundreds of billions,and the law supports kola,he can decide to blank lekan and any others out there are numerous examples of hight profile polygamous drama one of which is evan enwerem widows ,also the article said the guy was a devout muslim,so this might have being an important factor in him forsaking any ostentatious display of wealth and settling in to a life of obscurity, whatever the article might have said,the last 2 paragraphs has nullified the totality of it seeing as the guy himself has offered up a convincing and highly credible explanation.
iReport:

That was what landed pastor Adelaja in hot soup and yes anybody with little connections can start it. It may be a very big feat for you and me but not for someone that stood on MKO's pedestal.

I think it was paid and they squandered it and no a thieving governor will continue to steal because it's motivated by greed and not want.Azikiwe's status is different from Zuwo.oooh whareva undecided

well "little connections"is relative,"little money"is relative and elastic,the focal point here is that she is and has moved on to greater things after abiola's death,and whichever way you want to dice or split it,being the chief executive of a micro finance bank in nigeria with a share capital running into hundreds of millions is no mean feat.

i like the word "i think"meaning you are still making your comments based solely on speculations and no modicum of credibility to it at all,also while zik's status is different to zuwo's,the fact remains that what both their families are going through vis avis entitlements are the same thing,this is the underlying problem cutting across both families and many others,not the fact that one was a governor and the other was a president, they both served their country at a point in time and both deserved some form of pensions package/severance and are being ignopred by the government
Re: My Father Was A Governor, But I’m Dying Of Poverty – Barkin Zuwo’s Son by Smi1(m): 7:43pm On Aug 26, 2010
Mallam Barkin Zuwo is a coward !! , is he trying to claime that he was suppose to be living a luxury life because he's father was a former governor ??
what a lazy fella when he was suppose to make use of opportunities he was busy with cows and drinking kUNU grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Things About Nigeria That Make You Cringe! / Aregbesola Vows To Deal With Principal’s Attackers / SERAP Asks Dogara And Others To Resign

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 160
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.