Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,729 members, 7,809,788 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:56 PM

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 - Travel (147) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 (1332686 Views)

Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 3 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 / General Australian Student Visa Enquiries Part 3 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (144) (145) (146) (147) (148) (149) (150) ... (646) (Go Down)

Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 by Dongreat(m): 2:52am On Oct 27, 2016
marauka:
Hello everyone... I need an urgent reply can a student work for more than 20hrs during holidays? Will it affect my visa in anyway?

Yes you can but will be taxed after the 20hrs and no it won't affect your visa.
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 by marauka: 7:43am On Oct 27, 2016
Dongreat:

Yes you can but will be taxed after the 20hrs and no it won't affect your visa.

Thanks Don. I am presently working twice weekly at 8hrs per day. Now, I intend doing some Xmas jobs. Hence my question. I don't want to jeopardize my visa in any way. Do you have a first hand experience or can someone else corroborate this information?
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 by spikesC(m): 10:43am On Oct 27, 2016
marauka:

Thanks Don. I am presently working twice weekly at 8hrs per day. Now, I intend doing some Xmas jobs. Hence my question. I don't want to jeopardize my visa in any way. Do you have a first hand experience or can someone else corroborate this information?

It's already on your brp card. 20hrs a week during term time
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 by Dongreat(m): 10:45am On Oct 27, 2016
marauka:

Yes I have a first hand experience as I worked tirelessly during the 2012 London Olympics. It's even stated on the working conditions of a Tier 4 student visa. During school sessions only work 20hrs, but during holidays, you can work more but will be taxed.
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 by marauka: 11:09am On Oct 27, 2016
Dongreat:

Yes I have a first hand experience as I worked tirelessly during the 2012 London Olympics. It's even stated on the working conditions of a Tier 4 student visa. During school sessions only work 20hrs, but during holidays, you can work more but will be taxed.

I got that thanks a lot. I was taxed on my first pay. PAYE. I tot its for people that earn more than 11,000 pounds. How do I reclaim my money from hmrc?
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 by Graciousrev(f): 11:30am On Oct 27, 2016
marauka:
Hello everyone... I need an urgent reply can a student work for more than 20hrs during holidays? Will it affect my visa in anyway?

That depends on the level of study;could it be NQV6 or 7 and above?
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 by Dongreat(m): 11:34am On Oct 27, 2016
marauka:

I got that thanks a lot. I was taxed on my first pay. PAYE. I tot its for people that earn more than 11,000 pounds. How do I reclaim my money from hmrc?

If you was taxed below 20hrs as a student, and still, go to your employer and make a complaint telling em that you are a student and should not be taxed below 20hrs. They will correct this by contacting HMRC and a new tax numb will be issued to you and the deducted taxed will be refunded. That was how I got mine as I didn't fill any tax form.
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 by marauka: 11:59am On Oct 27, 2016
Dongreat:

If you was taxed below 20hrs as a student, and still, go to your employer and make a complaint telling em that you are a student and should not be taxed below 20hrs. They will correct this by contacting HMRC and a new tax numb will be issued to you and the deducted taxed will be refunded. That was how I got mine as I didn't fill any tax form.

I complained to my employers and they said I should sort the tax refund out with hmrc but that they will not tax me again. How do I get my refund?
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 by teejay21111: 12:06pm On Oct 27, 2016
Hello guys, anyone that paid for VISA of recent should help. Which bank's ATM did you use? I have to pay about $900 for IHS and $440 for VISA application. Also, can I use another person ATM to pay for both? Thanks!
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 by spikesC(m): 12:28pm On Oct 27, 2016
Dongreat:

You're getting this wrong. Tax is deducted based on how much you earn not how many hours you worked. They remove your personal allowance first, then tax you on the remaining amount.
Most students working just 20 hours at minimum wage would not cross the personal allowance mark which is why you think it is because of the hours.

marauka:

I complained to my employers and they said I should sort the tax refund out with hmrc but that they will not tax me again. How do I get my refund?

Your employer will tax you if there calculations prove so. Confirm with hmrc that your tax code is correct, then wait for the tax year to end before you claim a tax refund. You can only get a tax refund at the end of a tax year.
To see your tax and NI data and possibly claim a refund without waiting for their usual P800 letter, you can register on HMRC platform as an individual.
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 by marauka: 12:33pm On Oct 27, 2016
spikesC:

You're getting this wrong. Tax is deducted based on how much you earn not how many hours you worked. They remove your personal allowance first, then tax you on the remaining amount.
Most students working just 20 hours at minimum wage would not cross the personal allowance mark which is why you think it is because of the hours

Your employer will tax you if there calculations prove so. Confirm with hmrc that your tax code is correct, then wait for the tax year to end before you claim a tax refund. You can only get a tax refund at the end of a tax year.
To see your tax and NI data and possibly claim a refund without waiting for their usual P800 letter, you can register on HMRC platform as an individual.

Now am more confused cry[color=#990000][/color]
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 by Dongreat(m): 12:39pm On Oct 27, 2016
spikesC:

Most students working just 20 hours at minimum wage would not cross the personal allowance mark which is why you think it is because of the hours.

Tax is deducted based on how much you earn not how many hours you worked. This only implies for home students or citizens and not international students. You are giving 20hrs work visa (written bold on your visa) and you think you won't be taxed after 20hrs as an international student? You think they tax you as a citizen? It's another way to monitor international students so as to make sure you are studying and not devoting all your time working. I am speaking from experience. Please understand that he is an international student and not home.
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 by Dongreat(m): 12:43pm On Oct 27, 2016
marauka:

You don't have to be. You are an international student so you are bound by the rules stated in your visa. Same thing happened to me and I complained and it was rectified. If you still find it difficult, speak to your university financial department and they will guild you best on what to do.
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 by Dongreat(m): 12:53pm On Oct 27, 2016
teejay21111:
Hello guys, anyone that paid for VISA of recent should help. Which bank's ATM did you use? I have to pay about $900 for IHS and $440 for VISA application. Also, can I use another person ATM to pay for both? Thanks!

Right now there is a ban on many cards if not all regarding payments abroad so I suggest you find someone to help you abroad and yes you can use their card as I have done recently in paying for my fees. I really don't know this but you can use a DOM dollars account as it might be plausible .

Please if you are successful you can keep the house inform cos I will find your feedback very helpful.
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 by justwise(m): 12:55pm On Oct 27, 2016
marauka:

You can get your tax back before April next year, firstly ask your employer to give you tax exemption form to complete and secondly contact hmrc they will refund you all the tax you have paid so far. If you don't contact them they will still refund you after April next year.
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 by marauka: 1:10pm On Oct 27, 2016
justwise:

You can get your tax back before April next year, firstly ask your employer to give you tax exemption form to complete and secondly contact hmrc they will refund you all the tax you have paid so far. If you don't contact them they will still refund you after April next year.

Now I understand. This oyibos self. Why is my employer feigning ignorance of the whole process whilst he is a partvof the system I need to reclaim my tax refund?
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 by Dongreat(m): 1:43pm On Oct 27, 2016
marauka:

Now I understand. This oyibos self. Why is my employer feigning ignorance of the whole process whilst he is a partvof the system I need to reclaim my tax refund?

Lol. They do to earn money man. One more thing you should know is if you are registered with an agent, you are entitled to holiday payment. You maybe with other employers but for agencies I am certain about holiday payment. Don't miss yours o as I was paid up to £300 back then.
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 by spikesC(m): 3:32pm On Oct 27, 2016
marauka:

What exactly are you confused about?
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 by spikesC(m): 3:45pm On Oct 27, 2016
Dongreat:

Tax is deducted based on how much you earn not how many hours you worked. This only implies for home students or citizens and not international students. You are giving 20hrs work visa (written bold on your visa) and you think you won't be taxed after 20hrs as an international student? You think they tax you as a citizen? It's another way to monitor international students so as to make sure you are studying and not devoting all your time working. I am speaking from experience. Please understand that he is an international student and not home.

What has status got to do with taxation? Are you really serious that citizens don't pay tax?
Current personal allowance is £11,000 which by 52 weeks is £211.54. Anything you earn above that is getting taxed no matter what your status is. After the end of the tax year;
Your total income is calculated
Minus your personal allowance
Tax is calculated based on the rest and they refund you if you paid too much

Please use official HMRC tax calculator so you don't confuse yourself
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 by spikesC(m): 3:50pm On Oct 27, 2016
justwise:

Will they refund him immediately for the current tax year? I highly doubt that as they're even still processing for last year's
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 by austinice4: 3:51pm On Oct 27, 2016
Good day my good people. Pls anyone in Glasgow looking for an accommodation should get in touch. I've got one room to spare
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 by Dongreat(m): 3:53pm On Oct 27, 2016
spikesC:

What has status got to do with taxation? Are you really serious that citizens don't pay tax?
Current personal allowance is £11,000 which by 52 weeks is £211.54. Anything you earn above that is getting taxed no matter what your status is. After the end of the tax year;
Your total income is calculated
Minus your personal allowance
Tax is calculated based on the rest and they refund you if you paid too much

Please use official HMRC tax calculator so you don't confuse yourself

Sorry that was a typo, yes they pay tax as it's the know source of revenue for their government.
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 by marauka: 4:38pm On Oct 27, 2016
Dongreat:

Lol. They do to earn money man. One more thing you should know is if you are registered with an agent, you are entitled to holiday payment. You maybe with other employers but for agencies I am certain about holiday payment. Don't miss yours o as I was paid up to £300 back then.

Thank you for this info. When should I ask for it? I work through an agency
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 by Cranberry17: 5:07pm On Oct 27, 2016
marauka:

Thank you for this info. When should I ask for it? I work through an agency

Lemme Guess: An event staffing agency??
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 by justwise(m): 7:28pm On Oct 27, 2016
spikesC:

Will they refund him immediately for the current tax year? I highly doubt that as they're even still processing for last year's
They will refund him for last year and current tax year and stop taxing him. It can't be immediately but within 3 weeks
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 by marauka: 7:31pm On Oct 27, 2016
Cranberry17:

Lemme Guess: An event staffing agency??

Stop guessing
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 by justwise(m): 7:42pm On Oct 27, 2016
Dongreat:

It doesn't matter whether you are a British citizen or international student the tax system work the same as spikesC explained, when I was a student I was taxed the same way they are taxing me now as British citizen though I used tax exemption form then and got refunded many times something I can't do now.
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 by Chekazu: 9:32pm On Oct 27, 2016
Pls house is anyone going to university of derby in january or currently studying there, pls contact me on kelonoiversion316@yahoo.com
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 by Dongreat(m): 9:51pm On Oct 27, 2016
justwise:

It doesn't matter whether you are a British citizen or international student the tax system work the same as spikesC explained, when I was a student I was taxed the same way they are taxing me now as British citizen though I used tax exemption form then and got refunded many times something I can't do now.

Ok. Noted. Cheers a lot and to @spikesC too.

1 Like

Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 by Whatamidoinghere(m): 10:12pm On Oct 28, 2016
Dongreat:

Can you explain clearly on how this works, cause I'm confused.
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 by Dongreat(m): 11:40pm On Oct 28, 2016
Whatamidoinghere:

Can you explain clearly on how this works, cause I'm confused.

While working for an agency, I was told of the holiday payment by a British friend. I went to my agency and inquired. They confirmed it and gave me a form to fill. Next payment day, I got my pay. So I suggest you go and inquiry from yours and if its agency I am certain that you qualified.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 3 by teejay21111: 5:19pm On Oct 29, 2016
Guys please I need your advice.

When I got my passport, I used one address then. Also, when I applied to the school, I used another address. Furthermore, my new address is different from the two. Which of the addresses is better to stick to in my VISA application? Will my current address be verified before a decision is made on my application?

Thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (144) (145) (146) (147) (148) (149) (150) ... (646)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 10 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.