Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,026 members, 7,810,829 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:27 PM

Buhari Cabinet: Govs Senators, Reps, Lose Power To Pick Nominees - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Cabinet: Govs Senators, Reps, Lose Power To Pick Nominees (27087 Views)

PDP Govs, Senators, Reps Begin Search For Credible National Chair / Saraki: CCB In Fresh Move Against Senators, Reps / Ministerial List; Buhari Strips APC Govs., Senators, Reps Power To Pick Nominees (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari Cabinet: Govs Senators, Reps, Lose Power To Pick Nominees by Islie: 3:21am On Sep 06, 2015
• Buhari may reject governors’ list

Contrary to what obtained in the last 16 years, state governors appeared to have lost influence to make input into the appointment of ministers.

The governors, especially those elected on the platform of the All Progressives Congress (APC) have found it difficult to penetrate President Muhammadu Buhari to pick their nominees as ministers.

Also, some Senators, who are godfathers in their states, might be unable to install their stooges as ministers.

In deference to the principle of Separation of Powers, there were indications that Buhari may not accept imposition of nominees on him by some leaders of the National Assembly.

But the jostle for ministerial ticket is assuming a hot race in Kwara, Sokoto, Gombe, Enugu, Lagos, Ondo, Ekiti, Katsina, Kaduna, Akwa Ibom, Anambra, and Bauchi,

Investigation by our correspondent showed that apart from deference to party supremacy, President Buhari has largely been his own man in appointing members of his cabinet.

It was learnt that although some governors had attempted to recommend some nominees, the president is insisting on merit.

The same dilemma is confronting some influential Senators and leaders of the House of Representatives.

According to findings, Buhari is sticking to the principle of separation of powers instead of throwing the ministerial nomination open.

The discipline being employed by the president in choosing his cabinet members accounted for the delay in appointing commissioners in some states.

It was gathered that the governors prefer to compensate their loyalists, who may be schemed out of ministerial slots, as commissioners.

A reliable source said: “Unlike in the past, most governors are stranded this because the president will not ask them to nominate ministers. Some of them attempted to make recommendations but did not succeed.

“In fact, the same game is playing out with influential Senators who have found it difficult to lobby for their candidates as ministerial nominees.

“Buhari is trying to be his own man as far as the choice of ministers is concerned. The only thing he reckons with is party supremacy. He also wants to adhere to constitutional provision on the appointment of ministers.

“The governors could not have their way because Buhari has refused to ask for any office slot or favour from any governor, including his own governor, Aminu Masari of Katsina State.”

As at press time, investigation confirmed that the jostle for ministerial slot is keen in Kwara, Sokoto, Gombe, Enugu, Lagos, Ondo, Ekiti, Katsina, Kaduna, Zamfara, Akwa Ibom, Anambra, Bauchi, Niger, Delta, Edo, Kogi, and Adamawa.

Some godfathers in the affected states were said to be panicking because of recent political developments in the country, especially in the National Assembly.

Another source said: “Those who have no respect for party supremacy cannot recommend or nominate ministers. Respect begets respect.

“This is why the president is looking for credible hands whom they cannot disqualify under a flimsy excuse or the other.”

THE NATION had exclusively reported that the president is on the final lap of consultations with some leaders of the All Progressives Congress (APC).

It was learnt that the president has met with some leaders of the party on the shape of his cabinet, those who may be on board and what he intends to do.

But he is yet to unveil his list of cabinet members to the leadership of the party.

It was unclear if the President will reduce the size of the cabinet from 42 to 36 or a lower figure.

Section 147(1-3) directs the President to appoint at least 36 ministers unless the constitution is amended.

The section reads:  “There shall be such offices of Ministers of the Government of the Federation as may be established by the President.

“Any appointment to the office of Minister of the Government of the Federation shall, if the nomination of any person to such office is confirmed by the Senate, be made by the President.

“Any appointment under subsection (2) of this section by the President shall be in conformity with the provisions of section 14(3) of this Constitution:

“Provided that in giving effect to the Provisions aforesaid the President shall appoint at least one Minister from each state, who shall be an indigene of such state.”

http://thenationonlineng.net/buhari-cabinet-govs-senators-reps-lose-power-to-pick-nominees/

5 Likes

Re: Buhari Cabinet: Govs Senators, Reps, Lose Power To Pick Nominees by baconline(m): 3:26am On Sep 06, 2015
Ftc

1 Like

Re: Buhari Cabinet: Govs Senators, Reps, Lose Power To Pick Nominees by donholy28(m): 3:36am On Sep 06, 2015
Nawah o but what can we do but watch

1 Like

Re: Buhari Cabinet: Govs Senators, Reps, Lose Power To Pick Nominees by ggrin(f): 9:32am On Sep 06, 2015
Re: Buhari Cabinet: Govs Senators, Reps, Lose Power To Pick Nominees by otijah(m): 9:33am On Sep 06, 2015
wetin be all dis one sef, dis man is just ruling the country the way that pleases him,

he has scammed every Apc members that voted him in, even the jagagbam himself, Amaechi, Fashola, rochas and the rest are regretting it, you can't even give him an advice because he is not gonna listen

This is no more Democracy but Mono and Northocracy joined together

I guess Amaechi is looking for a way to collect his money for campaign but he won't dare or else kirikiri will be joints and hangout for next 300yrs
#100wasteddays

34 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Buhari Cabinet: Govs Senators, Reps, Lose Power To Pick Nominees by buzquet(m): 9:33am On Sep 06, 2015
Buhari is not a wheelbarrow (GEJ) dat u can push around. Unfortunately for waillers, Buhari will b our president till 2019.

80 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Cabinet: Govs Senators, Reps, Lose Power To Pick Nominees by Fernandowski(m): 9:33am On Sep 06, 2015
Promises!!
Re: Buhari Cabinet: Govs Senators, Reps, Lose Power To Pick Nominees by dammytosh: 9:34am On Sep 06, 2015
They should not nominate anybody

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Cabinet: Govs Senators, Reps, Lose Power To Pick Nominees by san316(m): 9:34am On Sep 06, 2015
I thought we hv gone past this? Governors should appoint commissioners while the president should appoint his ministers. PMB must not cave in, those ministers could be used as tools to sabotage the president.

Say no to imposition.

BTW, sorry for asking oo. But is Barcanis....ta dead? Sorry ooo

44 Likes

Re: Buhari Cabinet: Govs Senators, Reps, Lose Power To Pick Nominees by efilefun(m): 9:34am On Sep 06, 2015
That's better atleast no minister would be dancing to the tunes of one corrupt senator or governor cuz he or she was nominated by the politician. Moreover the nation had not being on standstill without the so call ministers.. Hopefully the perm secs would continue their works and not get intimidated by the ministers

It's season of change... Expect a lot of changes from the norms of Nigerian politics.

12 Likes

Re: Buhari Cabinet: Govs Senators, Reps, Lose Power To Pick Nominees by gen2briz(m): 9:34am On Sep 06, 2015
Another action film
Re: Buhari Cabinet: Govs Senators, Reps, Lose Power To Pick Nominees by kennyman2000(m): 9:35am On Sep 06, 2015
Hmmm..
Re: Buhari Cabinet: Govs Senators, Reps, Lose Power To Pick Nominees by rozayx5(m): 9:36am On Sep 06, 2015
newspaper govt grin cheesy grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Cabinet: Govs Senators, Reps, Lose Power To Pick Nominees by criminalmindz: 9:36am On Sep 06, 2015
friends and colleagues from every part of the nation and some of my best friends are not even from my side of the country.

However, recent events are making me to have a deeper reflection and I wish we- Southerners in this instance- can have some kind of introspection. Out of 25 appointments made so far, 18 are from the North, 3 are from the South West, 4 are from the South South while the South East has ZERO appointments. A tweet which I saw today stated that “southerners are only competent when it’s time for elections but northerners are competent in terms of governance” and this made the following thoughts run through my mind:

1. Only Southerners have been accusing fellow Southerners of corruption. Oshiomole has been attacking Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala as if Ngozi turned down his marriage proposal. The same Oshiomole tried to make nonsense of Akinwumi Adeshina’s successes in the agriculture sector. Ambode tried to pull Fashola down and successfully smeared him with stains. Maybe that’s why Fashola did not get the Chief of Staff role. I’m yet to see a Northerner accuse another Northerner of corruption, even when they belong to different parties. The closest a Northerner got was when the new Kano State Governor attacked Rabiu Kwankaso but he quickly sheathed his sword and even disowned previous reports of attacks. Why are we like this?

2. Are Southerners the only ones who are corrupt? Were there no northerner heading the ministries and parastatals? Did the outgone Comptroller-General of Customs, Abdullahi Dikko not have an alleged case of certificate forgery but he still served out his tenure until he resigned voluntarily? I’m not in support of corruption under any guise but the fight against corruption must not be seen to be sectional.

3. How come it’s easier for the President to believe that Sanni Abacha was not corrupt in spite of recovered loot while it is so easy for him to believe Goodluck Jonathan is irredeemably corrupt?

4. I still remember that aside from God, Tinubu made Tambuwal what he is today. The same Tambuwal would later call Femi Gbajabiamila ‘incompetent’ and rated Dogara as more competent. The same Tambuwal was propped up by Tinubu, a Southerner against a fellow Southerner, Mulikat Akande. Obasanjo was very key to denying Goodluck Jonathan a second term. A good number can still recall how OBJ tore his PDP membership card in public glare. The Northerners find it easy to support themselves but we are always pulling ourselves down. Babangida Aliyu, Sule Lamido and all the other Northern Governors including the former PDP Chairman Adamu Muazu often times refused to campaign for Goodluck Jonathan openly and many times even espoused the virtues of the opposing candidate on the rostrum!

5. Southern leaders and Presidents pull down Southern business men but prop up Northern ones. How many people still remember how Obasanjo ran Mike Adenuga out of town but both Obasanjo and Goodluck Jonathan made Aliko Dangote what he is today. No northern leader goes against their own. I dare to put it on record that President Buhari will never go against Aliko Dangote for any reason.

6. How come OBJ pardoned Salisu Buhari, the ex-Speaker who forged his credentials and he later was given an appointment as a Governing Council member of a University and heavens did not fall- but when Goodluck Jonathan pardoned Alamieyeseigha it became one of the major issues counted against him? Is there one rule for some and another rule for others?

7. We find it easy to raise our voices in support of the deportation of Buruji Kashamu but have no qualms with Atiku Abubakar strutting around the corridors of power.

8. Only Southerners find it so easy to abuse their elders when they voice opinions not in tandem with the popular opinion. We find it easy to diss Afenifere elders and call them ‘Afenifebi’ while hurling expletives and curses at them. We even abuse our kings and priests. Northerners will never abuse an Emir no matter how unpopular what he said is. Can you imagine any Northerner raising his voice against the Sultan? In spite of Tanko Yakassai, Balarabe Musa and Dangiwa Umar’s perceived support for Jonathan, northern youths did not abuse them. But our own youths run down our elders on social media while our educated elite also support the act.

These are some of the thoughts that have been running through my mind. I don’t pretend to have all the answers and I do this at the risk of being labelled an ethnic bigot. The point however is that Southerners have to get their acts right. We have to put our house in order. The bickering must stop. Let’s engage our emotional intelligence. Let’s not allow others to exploit our tendency to self-destruct.

64 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Buhari Cabinet: Govs Senators, Reps, Lose Power To Pick Nominees by anonimi: 9:36am On Sep 06, 2015
But Tinubu retains SOLE right to nominate such as Fowler for FIRS.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Cabinet: Govs Senators, Reps, Lose Power To Pick Nominees by LMAyedun(m): 9:37am On Sep 06, 2015
Bubu, the dictator.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Cabinet: Govs Senators, Reps, Lose Power To Pick Nominees by Nobody: 9:38am On Sep 06, 2015
When it's time to appoint commissioner nobody will appoint for them but they want to appoint minister for president, our gov are becoming too powerful

4 Likes

Re: Buhari Cabinet: Govs Senators, Reps, Lose Power To Pick Nominees by initialize(m): 9:38am On Sep 06, 2015
I love Buhari.... Change is when things don't follow the usual pattern.

What Buhari is doing is CHANGE.

Allah keep u going.... Insha Allah

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Cabinet: Govs Senators, Reps, Lose Power To Pick Nominees by ofala(m): 9:40am On Sep 06, 2015
For once, we have a President who realises what it mean for ALL 'bucks to stop at his table' without any pettiness....

The level of disorganized Polity he inherited require even more than these bits of firmness because that will be the ONLY fair solution to the present disheartening rot in our dear Country.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Cabinet: Govs Senators, Reps, Lose Power To Pick Nominees by Perfectwazobia: 9:41am On Sep 06, 2015
Guess who is no1 on the list, it is .... angry
Re: Buhari Cabinet: Govs Senators, Reps, Lose Power To Pick Nominees by mekaboy(m): 9:41am On Sep 06, 2015
Im tired of all this news and suspense. Buhari abeg appoint whoever u want make we move on.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Buhari Cabinet: Govs Senators, Reps, Lose Power To Pick Nominees by Sylvarresta(m): 9:41am On Sep 06, 2015
good..... over to you waillers

3 Likes

Re: Buhari Cabinet: Govs Senators, Reps, Lose Power To Pick Nominees by efilefun(m): 9:42am On Sep 06, 2015
anonimi:
But Tinubu retains SOLE right to nominate such as Fowler for FIRS.
with the success fowler achieved in Lagos state only a fool will ignore him, by the way was the nomination by tinubu done in your living room?? You guys won't stop spewing dust

13 Likes

Re: Buhari Cabinet: Govs Senators, Reps, Lose Power To Pick Nominees by cymidas(m): 9:42am On Sep 06, 2015
I pray this man succeed cos this window dress is too much in the name of looking for Saints. Make I Seat down dey look.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Cabinet: Govs Senators, Reps, Lose Power To Pick Nominees by kennyddonn(m): 9:42am On Sep 06, 2015
if u like listen to them..
if u like don't
if u like hear u words
if u like don't

I just know say one day....we will have ministers
and they will be names of people.....

always making people to be much expectant.......

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Cabinet: Govs Senators, Reps, Lose Power To Pick Nominees by Jaideyone(m): 9:43am On Sep 06, 2015
good. we don't want stooges

1 Like

Re: Buhari Cabinet: Govs Senators, Reps, Lose Power To Pick Nominees by festusfeezy(m): 9:45am On Sep 06, 2015
Oh! So You guys think it's going to be as usual, I laugh in swahili. Anyways. I think pmb is just trying to do things his own way so as to have a different result, if we keep doing it the same way, we keep having the same result, so let him do it in a different way pls. Happy Sunday morning

5 Likes

Re: Buhari Cabinet: Govs Senators, Reps, Lose Power To Pick Nominees by HomoSapiien: 9:48am On Sep 06, 2015
Good.
Re: Buhari Cabinet: Govs Senators, Reps, Lose Power To Pick Nominees by cana882(m): 9:49am On Sep 06, 2015
I am for everybody (in election) and for nobody (in selection)

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Cabinet: Govs Senators, Reps, Lose Power To Pick Nominees by Youngzedd(m): 9:50am On Sep 06, 2015
Sai PMB

Change is here to stay.

Nigeria will be great again.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Before Vs Now: El-rufai On Restructuring Of Nigeria / Senator Elisha Abbo Dragged To UN Over Assault / David Hundeyin: IGP Submitted My Name To Interpol Over Ini Umoren Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.