Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,746 members, 7,809,843 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:54 PM

Nigerian Artistes And The Lip-synching Syndrome - Music/Radio (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Nigerian Artistes And The Lip-synching Syndrome (41515 Views)

Nigerian Artistes Don't Deserve A Grammy - Hiptv CEO, Ayo Animashaun / 10 Nigerian Artistes Who Defy The Usual Lyrics Of Butts And Boobs / Fans Lament Over Empty Seats At Headies As Top Nigerian Artistes Boycott Award (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Artistes And The Lip-synching Syndrome by mbulela: 8:36am On Sep 15, 2015
Sanchez01:
I made up my mind ever since two years ago not to punish myself over attending musical shows involving Nigeria artistes, both Gospel and Secular. Reason for this has been best known to me from day one - our artistes are lazy, an eyesore and arrogant on stage.

PS: For those who don't know, lip-synching is considered offensive and highly scandalous if roped around an artiste in saner climes.

Cc
Lalasticlala
Write down this list;
Tuface
Lagbaja
Sound Sultan
Femi Kuti
Asa
Bez
Tunde and Wunmi Obe
Yinka Davies

You can take it to the bank, none of these will ever do what you rightly accused the rest of.
I have attended a few of these big shows in the past, I got home angrier than I left. I feel it is artistic fraud for anyone to lip sync. I will never patronize such again. Laziness of the highest order. Meanwhile na those lazy ones dey hammer pass o.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Artistes And The Lip-synching Syndrome by mbulela: 8:39am On Sep 15, 2015
safarigirl:
Asa's voice is nothing spectacular. I rate Timi higher, Nigerians will just gravitate to anything foreign naturally
Not just voice. He may have a better voice (and I think he does) but his entire stage performance is sub par like most Nigerian artistes. They are too lazy to work hard at their craft.
Re: Nigerian Artistes And The Lip-synching Syndrome by mbulela: 8:40am On Sep 15, 2015
scarred9jan:

I blame the companies that endorse these overpampered, talentless druggies. they give mediocre talents a lot of money to churn out and perform a whole load of rubbish. A fraction of the money if invested in sports or individuals with exceptional talents would definitely change lives.
They will call you a hater.
Re: Nigerian Artistes And The Lip-synching Syndrome by Lanceslot(m): 9:06am On Sep 15, 2015
safarigirl:
whatever you guys think it is, I don't like it. Everyone doesn't have the same idea of 'good music', some of us just don't like her style. It doesn't mean we don't know good music, we just don't like that one. I rank her alongside Nneka, I'll probably dose off if I have to see either of them in a concert. Timi's voice is strong, powerful and can hit you where it matters (listen to Great Nation, it's one of the best songs to ever come from Nigeria), Timi over Asa anyday. And we're back to the same ish of "Asa is awesome cuz the Western world likes her", why do we rate artistes based on who the West approves? Why can't we rate Africans on who Africans approve? Or are we not good enough to determine our brand of music?
Safarigirl I respect your opinion but to be frank with you Timi Dakolo is no where near Asa and forget about how western world see her. She's simply the best in all ramification.. I can't even compare Great Nation to Eyo. Asa is the best.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Artistes And The Lip-synching Syndrome by pauldehero(m): 9:25am On Sep 15, 2015
otokx:

What instrument do you major on?
i sing blues and R/B , and i am doing it well as my hobby, so i am waitng for that possible break to the next level
Re: Nigerian Artistes And The Lip-synching Syndrome by RiffRaff: 9:29am On Sep 15, 2015
Timi better than Asa?
For more jokes.. Text SafariGirl to 666:

please let me have a whiff of whatever it is this lady is smoking. Pharps i will find myself in planet mars as the leader of the galaxy.

Asa is the awesomest thing that has ever happened to Nigerian music. Just go and youtube. Search for her performance, watch her sing and dazzle the world.
NIgeria is lucky to be associated with such an amazing musician.
Lyrics, voice, style and touch are all on point. The babe is A++.
Stop the blasphemy safari.. This is the kind of thing people say that make them miss out on heaven cuz even Baba God go day vex.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Artistes And The Lip-synching Syndrome by adegeye38(m): 9:33am On Sep 15, 2015
gone are d days wen good music are appreciated som1 like michael jackson who is d greatest entertainer of all time use to commence intense rehearsals @ least 3 months b4 a show,but d thing is dat hip hop is d reigning genre in nigerian society so d few artist who have good vocal prowess are sacrificing it for d current trend som1 lyk iyanya who was formerly an rnb artist with good vocals sacrificing dem for hip hop songs lyk "ur waist", "kukere" nd so on , or som1 like chidinma who sang whitney Houston (d most vocally gifted singer in history)'s "i will always love you" to perfection @ mtn project fame ,also nigerian artiste are lazy, nt creative and not innovative dey seems to forget dat music is an art and dey are d artists also,
dey seem nt to get dat gud live performance is what makes an artiste, dats y no nigerian artiste will ever win a grammy award.
michael jackson use to wow millions of people@ his tour with energy, good vocal prowess(with no lip syncing) for hours , he was sang his whole album for lyk 2 hours 30 minutes non stop with dances, stunts and intense energy and creativity and he gave dem value for deir money.
adegeye38:
gone are d days wen good music are appreciated som1 like michael jackson who is d greatest entertainer of all time use to commence intense rehearsals @ least 3 months b4 a show,but d thing is dat hip hop is d reigning genre in nigerian society so d few artist who have good vocal prowess are sacrificing it for d current trend som1 lyk iyanya who was formerly an rnb artist with good vocals sacrificing dem for hip hop songs lyk "ur waist", "kukere" nd so on , or som1 like chidinma who sang whitney Houston (d most vocally gifted singer in history)'s "i will always love you" to perfection @ mtn project fame ,also nigerian artiste are lazy, nt creative and not innovative dey seems to forget dat music is an art and dey are d artists also,
dey seem nt to get dat gud live performance is what makes an artiste, dats y no nigerian artiste will ever win a grammy award.
michael jackson use to wow millions of people@ his tour with energy, good vocal prowess(with no lip syncing) for hours , he was sang his whole album for lyk 2 hours 30 minutes non stop with dances, stunts and intense energy and creativity and he gave dem value for deir money.
michael jackson use to wow millions of people@ his tour with energy, good vocal prowess(with no lip syncing) for hours , he 1nce sang his whole album for lyk 2 hours 30 minutes non stop with dances, stunts and intense energy and creativity and he gave dem value for deir money. dats an artiste

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Artistes And The Lip-synching Syndrome by xtervaganza(m): 9:35am On Sep 15, 2015
THERE WAS A TIME DBANJ USED TO PERFORM ON STAGE WITH HIS BAND, NO LIP SYNCING
Re: Nigerian Artistes And The Lip-synching Syndrome by Xvenus(f): 10:13am On Sep 15, 2015
Sanchez01:
I made up my mind ever since two years ago not to punish myself over attending musical shows involving Nigeria artistes, both Gospel and Secular. Reason for this has been best known to me from day one - our artistes are lazy, an eyesore and arrogant on stage.

So I was at the Eko Hotels yesternight for the Glo Laffta Fest. Who doesn't love a comedy show? For mesmiley, it was the best moment to ease myself of the many pressures I've been subjected to of late. Honestly, I had forgotten that music was added. I guess I wasn't really expecting a thing from any of the artistes. The code has worked ever since; love their songs over the air (TV and radio), avoid their live performances like a plague.

After laughing to no end, Burna Boy, just like every other Nigerian act came up without a single back up. It was solo, perhaps more money to him. Calling on DJ Jimmy Jatt at intervals, I could remember Burna Boy singing over six songs within 10 minutes. Which successful artistes does this

Within 15 minutes, Burna Boy had almost finished his album. His average time for each was 2 minutes each, worst of all, they were all lip-synced

The presence of DJs at shows meant for artistes have done more harm than good over the years and this is in turn affecting our music beyond the shores of Africa. The cliché has been the same over the years; they come on stage with the intention to "sing along" all in the name of performance.

It doesn't make sense attending events and all you hear on the stage is "DJ! Let's Go!!" and all you see afterwards is the annoying, regular, unrepentant and unprofessional catwalks they exhibit on the stage. Parambulating like it's a fashion show.

For Pete's sake we watch other foreign acts and they don't do all these. I keep a particular video close to my heart, a live video of Jay Z (a rapper) performing "Young Forever" with Beyoncé. One would think we have not started compared to these folks. We claim our music has attained a reasonable standard, yet they all tow the same line, boring walks, calling on DJ's to play the next track just to "sing along" or lip sync in the name of performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmfmdKOLzVI

Although the subsequent comedies from Basketmouth, Bovi, I go dye and others resuscitated the show. Perhaps our artistes would fare better if they don't sing, come to the show, sign autographs and go home because I can't fathom how they justify the word "performance".

Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston, Beyoncè, 50cents, Ashley Simpson, the great R-Kelly, Jennifer Hudson, Mariah Carey, Britney Spears among others have been caught in the lip-synching SCANDAL at some point in their careers, yet we brandish it in Nigeria like nothing is wrong with it.
www.forbes.com/sites/michelecatalano/2013/01/25/from-michael-jackson-to-beyonce-a-brief-history-of-lip-syncing/

Perhaps this explains why our glorified international acts struggle in the international scene, save for those who take their shows to these folks. Life, as far as music is concerned is beyond cut and paste in the studio. It continues on the stage not with mediocrity but giving your all.

I honestly couldn't wait to leave the venue after seeing Korede Bello, Dija, and Reekado Banks trying to find their way to the backstage to prepare at about 10:30pm. The scenario is all too familiar; better to have me listen to your songs in my house than see you jumping around while you sing your 2 mins songs with the cliché "DJ! Let's go!!"

PS: For those who don't know, lip-synching is considered offensive and highly scandalous if roped around an artiste in saner climes.

Cc
Lalasticlala

I was at a similar show, GLO SLIDENBOUNCE PH. Burnaboy did the same LOL

I was patient however to wait for classic acts like Flavor Nabania to perform. He wasn't lipsynching and even left stage for awhile when the sound system went off. That was a class act. Also watched Bez perform and he was another class act. Talk about quality and stage command.

Wish artist like Burnaboy can just learn from people like Flavor and Bez!
Re: Nigerian Artistes And The Lip-synching Syndrome by Koolking(m): 10:39am On Sep 15, 2015
Sanchez01:
I made up my mind ever since two years ago not to punish myself over attending musical shows involving Nigeria artistes, both Gospel and Secular.

How did I miss this thread? I thought I was the only crusader. Music had been long extinct in Nigeria. Only 3% peeps make music in Nigeria of recent, the 97% are pure noise makers enjoying the patronage of gullibility and docility of Nigerians. Of course, we all know Nigerians worship mediocre.

The truth is I don't attend Musical shows in Nigeria, even when a foreign act is in concert, because i know by and large, a Nigerian wannabe musician will also perform on stage. Their performances are crass, noisy, heartrending and insipid. Even in the comfort of my home, I would rather listen to the 80s and 90s, apart from non-African music than get headache with noise called Nigerian music.

Peeps here mentioned a few vocalists, I tell you, apart from Asa (world class), Tuface...former Psquare duo, others are pure noise makers who know nothing about music.

In recent time, you don't need talent to make music in Nigeria. Anybody can make music in Nigeria provided you meet the right people who give you the publicity needed to recoup the profit through you.

Until we embrace music with talents, music will continue to elude us. Until then #TeamForeign

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Artistes And The Lip-synching Syndrome by fejikudz(m): 10:41am On Sep 15, 2015
AderibigbeAAA:

Pasuma, K 1, Osupa will not come to a show and Lip synch.

These guys will come to parties with musical instrumentsand back up singers, compose good lyrics to praise and entertain listeners, fans and audience.

Not one guy, come with a CD of track with Edited vocals , lip synch and keep shouting..

later kids will come on social media to say Fuji musicians no dey sing anything.

Your last sentence cracked me up!!! hahahahaha cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Nigerian Artistes And The Lip-synching Syndrome by fejikudz(m): 10:53am On Sep 15, 2015
More reason i respect the likes of 2face and asa..

Flavour and Dbanj dey try shaa
Re: Nigerian Artistes And The Lip-synching Syndrome by airmark(m): 11:39am On Sep 15, 2015
BraniacX:

Aiye?

You're kidding right?

Nigeria's music industry is lago-centric and yoruba tinted and that accounts for why songs like aiye got tHe hype and airplay they garnered but as per the question you asked, "soke" was dope, "like to party doper" and....................................cool I fit fight you for this one oh! angry burna is like a breath of fresh air in our stale jingle singing musicians music industry

So the same AIYE that was hailed throughout Africa was hype because it was Yoruba tinted? If a song is good, it has nothing to do with the language used. Of all davido's song it was aiye that I first downloaded without complete listening. All those burna songs you listed none could contend with gobe, let alone Aiye. When flavour sang ada ada, it was a hit and no one said it was n't in Yoruba, so it was n't good. There have been many Yoruba songs promoted yet did nt blow. The melody of a song matters. Is it because of Yoruba language used that made him to get shows in Senegal, congo, Zambia, Ghana, Cameroon, mali, cote d ivoire etc sold out with presidents attending? Will you say the likes of Etoo are Yoruba inclined? Please lets argue appropriately. Awilo song was popular in Nigeria in the past because of sweet melody, no one cared what he was saying. It has nothing to do with lago-centric, there are many artistes in lagos with Yoruba-tinted songs still trekking the streets. If you are not good, you are not good.
Re: Nigerian Artistes And The Lip-synching Syndrome by fejikudz(m): 11:44am On Sep 15, 2015
safarigirl:
personal opinion. I hate Asa's brand of music, I find Timi a more appealing alternative so he's a better artiste to me. Asa's hype is 70% based on where she's at and people she's working with, if Timi had that, Asa wouldn't see his back
Are you kidding i rate praiz higher than timi sef!

Re: Nigerian Artistes And The Lip-synching Syndrome by fejikudz(m): 11:46am On Sep 15, 2015
airmark:

So the same AIYE that was hailed throughout Africa was hype because it was Yoruba tinted? If a song is good, it has nothing to do with the language used. Of all davido's song it was aiye that I first downloaded without complete listening. All those burna songs you listed none could contend with gobe, let alone Aiye. When flavour sang ada ada, it was a hit and no one said it was n't in Yoruba, so it was n't good. There have been many Yoruba songs promoted yet did nt blow. The melody of a song matters. Is it because of Yoruba language used that made him to get shows in Senegal, congo, Zambia, Ghana, Cameroon, mali, cote d ivoire etc sold out with presidents attending? Will you say the likes of Etoo are Yoruba inclined? Please lets argue appropriately. Awilo song was popular in Nigeria in the past because of sweet melody, no one cared what he was saying. It has nothing to do with lago-centric, there are many artistes in lagos with Yoruba-tinted songs still trekking the streets. If you are not good, you are not good.
Abeg free the guy.. he nor know wetin to talk..
Re: Nigerian Artistes And The Lip-synching Syndrome by Nobody: 12:37pm On Sep 15, 2015
Sabrwahaqqo:

Yeye woman !

Trying to stand in for ur own huzby abi?

Dem say pikin no know book, u dey talk say hin get handwriting
, smh smh smh

#shoro niyen grin
You got me there
Re: Nigerian Artistes And The Lip-synching Syndrome by obongtunji: 2:07pm On Sep 15, 2015
OP, this thing has been boiling within me for many years. I have seen many Nigerian artiste doing this and I keep asking myself if they are really musicians. I wonder why they can't learn to do things right. I can pay money to see a comedy show but it's a very big NO for musical show that has to do with Nigerian artiste. I watched Psquare at Glo-CAF, they were sounding horrible. I'm not surprise because they eat anything unlike their counterpart in the western world. Autotune is the order of the day for Nigerian artiste that is why live performance is a "no go area" for them. My respect for the likes of Oliver, K.S.A, Lagbaja e.t.c

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Artistes And The Lip-synching Syndrome by scarred9jan(m): 5:05pm On Sep 15, 2015
mbulela:

They will call you a hater.

i can't hate someone i don't know or have not met personally.
Re: Nigerian Artistes And The Lip-synching Syndrome by 4C2215131: 5:15pm On Sep 15, 2015
Got to give a shout out to Sound Sultan...that cat hardly does the sing-along crap, live band, live performance all the way. Big Up!
Re: Nigerian Artistes And The Lip-synching Syndrome by 4C2215131: 5:24pm On Sep 15, 2015
DoctorDoom:
It's a shame the idea of rehearsals is alien to most of our indigenous artistes. Ne-yo had everyone in Durban jumping in July despite being an R&B artiste.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfSxgnJzP-U

Some fans see you live on stage only once in their lifetime... You (the musician) have this incredible opportunity to ingrain yourself in their memories forever with a performance to remember, rather you choose to present them with the memories of a lip-synched performance... Little wonder some musical careers die quickly.

True dat! You could see the chap sweating and putting in real work! Doing it real! There is a synchronicity in foreign climes between the DJ and the live band set-up. The DJ plays the instrumental of the song along with the live band to aid song passages that the live band may not enact perfectly enough, and in certain instance the chorus is played from the DJ (when there are maybe no back-up singers so the performer can catch his breath and stuff. And that brings me to another possible development-I think our artistes are even too lazy to sing and prance around at the same time. Do you know the fitness it takes to perform for over an hour singing and dancing ala Usher, Neyo, Late Great MJ, Beyonce, MJB to mention a few, real breath control thangs!).

Other than this, the artiste is performing live, doing their thing. Not so Naija. I've said this stuff before. They just come on stage to dance or throw the mic to the crowd to sing the songs or just palin fool around!...it beats me! is this what I've paid to come see. Yes, the West is also guilty of it but to the artistes' own detriment, unlike Naija where it is considered the norm!

Well, it's Nigeria, anything goes.
Re: Nigerian Artistes And The Lip-synching Syndrome by BraniacX(m): 6:05pm On Sep 15, 2015
airmark:

Trust me the language matters, and i didn't mention language only did i? I believe i also talked about location too, ya feel me? Plus aiye is a good song but mehn!! For me, for me oh!! It ain't gat nuffin on like to party, am sure many will disagree with me as am sure am not alone in my line of thinking either
Re: Nigerian Artistes And The Lip-synching Syndrome by ibolomo(m): 8:37pm On Sep 15, 2015
pauldehero:
i am sure that i will save nigerian music from collapsing , i am doing all i can to promote my songs to the best level, by then we can take the world by storm, nija got talents believe me, just that some people are not encouraging at all, so the struggles continue, the only nigerian song that can win
grammy,you will be amazed how
far african music has gone thanks,...shear
to everyone , http://
www.datafilehost.com/d/fb32f387
shear?? i don't need to waste mb on downloading the song... with my eyes I have seen grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Artistes And The Lip-synching Syndrome by Nobody: 8:45pm On Sep 15, 2015
7Alexander:
You got me there
cheesy
Re: Nigerian Artistes And The Lip-synching Syndrome by ladej(m): 11:53pm On Sep 15, 2015
onatisi:
all Fuji and juju musicians perform live acts and music mostly for 8hrs straight without repeating songs .give credit to your African indigenous music
I did mention femi kuti and sunny ade naaaaaaaaaaa

I never give credit enough ?
Re: Nigerian Artistes And The Lip-synching Syndrome by BlackPikiN(m): 4:23am On Sep 16, 2015
Nneka is the best live performer at this moment. Go search her YouTube videos and watch her performance, she's been to almost all festivals in Europe and South America.
She's simply the best and she does it with ease. Ayo is next, her live performance in France was wonderful.
Big ups to P Square too, it's never a dull moment when they are with the whole crew.
Re: Nigerian Artistes And The Lip-synching Syndrome by stonecoldcafe: 5:13am On Sep 16, 2015
Sanchez01:

You're quite right but I beg to disagree with your assertion concerning "real vocalists". We have them and they're many. Iyanya, Praiz, Tuface, Dare art Alade, Tiwa Savage, Chidinma, Yemi Alade, Timi Dakolo, Omawunmi, Waje, Ige, Banky W, GT da Guitarman, Capital FM, among many others. Again, I beg to differ with "most people don't appreciate real singing talent". We do and the consciousness is fast increasing. It would have been better if you said that genres that support good vocals are not really appreciated here. Auto tune is largely the problem. Who would love to disgrace himself on stage?

I beg to disagree with you on Tiwa Savage and her sister Sheyi Shay (though you didn't include this name in your list)
I have heard this people sing live on stage and they struggled bitterly. I mean bitterly to the point i wanted to drop my drink, run up stage and hug them. Its hard for some of these our so called big folks, you see them sweating tremendously on stage yet sounding wack.
Re: Nigerian Artistes And The Lip-synching Syndrome by uniklinkum(m): 6:00am On Sep 18, 2015
safarigirl:
Asa is based in Europe and blew from there that's why she majorly performs there, it's not her live performances that make her a toast. Timi is a better artiste than Asa by any ramification, but you don't see him everywhere in Europe

Damn!!!This is a disrespect to commonsense, if you are ever blessed with a night with asa. You would haven't make this blasphemy. Asa leaves her audience spell bound with spectacular dancing and one of the most professional backups. From playing of the trumpet to the ukulele and guitar. You need to see grown asss white guys crying like toddlers

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Artistes And The Lip-synching Syndrome by ibolomo(m): 12:16am On Sep 22, 2015
Antoinne:

I was actually about to say this to her before i saw your post. I think you've said it brilliantly enough!
thanks. I even like asa because of her love for the yoruba tradition.
Re: Nigerian Artistes And The Lip-synching Syndrome by jojothaiv(m): 8:32pm On Jan 22, 2016
One song heroes Unsung heroes I want money and respect What do you want from me though... David Odey (Boogey) has say it all.... No big time performer again... Na the money matter o... Most of em are just like Alvin and Chipmunks.....
Re: Nigerian Artistes And The Lip-synching Syndrome by buzzchick(f): 11:34pm On Jan 23, 2016
The sound system at most events are messed up. Some our Nigerian artistes consciously lip sync because they don't want to get disappointed by the mic or sound engineer.
Re: Nigerian Artistes And The Lip-synching Syndrome by Wifefo88: 6:13pm On Jan 24, 2016
www.datafilehost.com/d/d042e1b0 Pls download it.. Enjoy An upcoming art IG:oluwadee
Re: Nigerian Artistes And The Lip-synching Syndrome by BenjaminGrey(m): 10:37am On Jan 25, 2016
Dbanj is one of d best live performers in Nigeria and honestly i tink i lyk lip synchin cuz dere voice on stage wont b dat ok compared 2 voice comin out of d speakers..and Dbanj is d best

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Full List Of Winners At The Headies 2022 / List Of Nigerian Radio Stations That Are Online (stream) / Olamide’s Wo & Wavy Level, Davido’s IF & Fall And 9ice’s Living Things Banned

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.