Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,449 members, 7,816,042 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:34 AM

Treasury Single Account: Banks To Sack Thousands Of Staff - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Treasury Single Account: Banks To Sack Thousands Of Staff (41980 Views)

Best Banks To Work In Nigeria: List Of Highest Paying Banks - FinancialWatchNgr / Konga Sacks Over 70% Of Staff / Banks To Sack Staff In Second Quarter – Rewane (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Treasury Single Account: Banks To Sack Thousands Of Staff by Adesiji77: 10:19am On Sep 12, 2015
christinie:
If the news is authentic it is not defamatory.

Thank you kiss

That's what I thought too...
Re: Treasury Single Account: Banks To Sack Thousands Of Staff by 989900: 10:32am On Sep 12, 2015
alexlee50:
Bro I agree with u, but there are still some more things I would like to add to yours.one of which is this:let the banks be given part of the foreign reserve to manage.they could first ask them to raise their capital base to 1billion dollars, this would of course trigger mergers among some banks.some others may be able to do it alone but in the long run, we will have fewer but stronger banks.giving them part of the foreign reserve to manage would increase the level of liquidity in the system. It would also afford the banks to give out long term loans at lower interest rate.it would also improve the credit level of the econonomy.they should also make sure that 60% this loan should be given to manufacturing/agro allied industry.just imagine the amount spent on rice importatation yearly, think of what we will save if we are able to produce enough rice for the population and even export, palm oil, olive oil, groundnut oil and others.it would not only provide income but it would also provide employment but the banks are key to attaining this objective.

That is where we should be headed.

You have spoken well.

When I saw how much we spend on importing palm oil, poultry, sugar, and rice, I bled!

Not to mention refined petroleum products, which the banks are part of the faceless cabal.

It was 'free money', it is immoral, it will end someday -- that day is here.

Now lets fund the real sector and grow a real economy, not the cosmetic one we've been having.
Re: Treasury Single Account: Banks To Sack Thousands Of Staff by wiseoneking: 10:36am On Sep 12, 2015
Axeurdaddy:

We both know it isn't, Do not allow petty hatred cloud your sense of judgement. I have friends and families who lost their jobs in Jonathan's era as well.
There you go again, so you are comparing imperfect "clueless" joenathan with your perfect "saviour god" buhari. I think that where joe made mistakes, he will not do thesame but restore. Are you suggesting that Buhari is the most clueless of all. Well all is change. Massive loss of job is justified by you because joe did thesame. May that wish be your portion and of your love ones lF you never saw anything wrong in what is just happening.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Single Account: Banks To Sack Thousands Of Staff by successjohnny(m): 10:40am On Sep 12, 2015
SeverusSnape:
Since Buhari came on board, thousands of Jobs have been lost. But the dull'ard promised two million jobs annually. Maybe he meant the opposite. Because he can be confused most of the times.

I just hope my friends who are Bankers won't be sacked.
. Pls try to follow events properly. Buhari never promised 2 millions jobs annually. It was Jonathan who promised that. And Buhari has not done wrong by bringing accountability into governance.
Re: Treasury Single Account: Banks To Sack Thousands Of Staff by Nobody: 10:43am On Sep 12, 2015
Axeurdaddy:

Mr Severus, Please do not do this. Mention one administration since the days of Obasanjo that people did not lose their jobs.

This isn't about the Presidency, Its a national dilemma. We should be concerned about the solution rather personalising the problem on the Presidency, except if you're happy about it.
First it was the immigration new recruits, then some weeks ago Zenith bank did same now other banks are to follow suit, all in less than 120 days in office, what do expect one to say?

1 Like

Re: Treasury Single Account: Banks To Sack Thousands Of Staff by Kazrem(m): 10:45am On Sep 12, 2015
Does anyone see the reason for the sack?

“The truth of the matter is that some of these deposits, especially fixed deposits help the banks a lot, now, there is directive that government funds be withdrawn, on one hand it will ensure accountability, but on the other hand the banks will also have to reduce their staff strength or be ready to recapitalise

Meaning that the wealth of the nation is with some banks and they use it for business and make profit for their self. So if there is no such huge fund in their banks they can't operate maximally? That's unhearable.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Single Account: Banks To Sack Thousands Of Staff by alexlee50: 10:56am On Sep 12, 2015
989900:

That is where we should be headed.

You have spoken well.

When I saw how much we spend on importing palm oil, poultry, sugar, and rice, I bled!

Not to mention refined petroleum products, which the banks are part of the faceless cabal.

It was 'free money', it is immoral, it will end someday -- that day is here.

Now lets fund the real sector and grow a real economy, not the cosmetic one we've been having.
I agree with u bro.Do u know that if you go to the banks to access funds for a business involving manufacturing u won't get the loan, u won't even meet the requirement but these indians, lebanese and some nigerians get loans running into billions just for buying and selling business.The real sector needs to be stimulated to bring about the necessary growth in the economy. There is no point keeping our money in foreign banks and developing foreign economy when these funds could be useful to our economy. There needs to be total ban on rice and those other products we spend a lot of money importing. Bank of industry, agric banks and other banks should make loans easily available to people interested in manufacturing.we should stop importing sardines, tooth picks, vegetable/ground nut oil/palm oil.these are things that we should be able to produce to sustain the economy. With this in place the value of the naira will appreciate, there would be no need for the cbn to come up with useless policies.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Treasury Single Account: Banks To Sack Thousands Of Staff by sexylogan(m): 11:16am On Sep 12, 2015
INTROVERT:
Winter is coming

Valar morghulis
Re: Treasury Single Account: Banks To Sack Thousands Of Staff by Pavarottii(m): 11:16am On Sep 12, 2015
Axeurdaddy:

I have relatives who had everything going good for them before Jonathan became the president and the harsh economic situation of the country led to them being booted out of their jobs. How's that too?
Shut up! During GEj tenure, majority of it; the economy was blooming. Highest GDP in africa, we entered JP morgan Global Bond Index, we hit highest number of barrels production since the inception of Nigeria, he hit the highest number of jobs created, quoted from NBS. World forum hosted in west africa for the first time and in Nigeria precisely. Just just a few of what happened during his aministration.

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Single Account: Banks To Sack Thousands Of Staff by smuth(m): 11:27am On Sep 12, 2015
INTROVERT:
Winter is coming

We are already in winter grin

1 Like

Re: Treasury Single Account: Banks To Sack Thousands Of Staff by Alfranco(m): 11:34am On Sep 12, 2015
Axeurdaddy:

PMB isn't as bad as he's politically smeared to look to the people
Good to hear that! The two men are mere mortals like everyone. They can make mistakes and people should tell them the truth and those who do shouldn't be seen as enemies of anyone or a particular political party.
Re: Treasury Single Account: Banks To Sack Thousands Of Staff by frankyychiji(f): 11:36am On Sep 12, 2015
sweetgala:

There are many things a government can afford to skimp on, security is not one of them.

The Nigerian nation has a police to civilian ratio far below the required international standards. The fact remains more police men/women need to be employed to combat insecurity and graft. Thereby allowing the government to save money in other areas
Of course. Like one policeman to 500 people. But I also want the government to do a thorough due diligence before rushing to meet international standards so that it doesn't become like the minimum wage issue where some states couldn't meet up with the demands at the end of the day.
Re: Treasury Single Account: Banks To Sack Thousands Of Staff by engrshakespeare: 11:39am On Sep 12, 2015
SeverusSnape:
Since Buhari came on board, thousands of Jobs have been lost. But the dull'ard promised two million jobs annually. Maybe he meant the opposite. Because he can be confused most of the times.

Obviously you know nothing about bank jobs, it is the nature of banks to sack irrespective of the Govt. Av bn there, I know
Re: Treasury Single Account: Banks To Sack Thousands Of Staff by frankyychiji(f): 11:40am On Sep 12, 2015
Jwhizzy:

I apologise for not sulking. You believe this is a beautiful initiative innit? So tell me, how will you have suggested that this should have been implemented. Government should have insisted that banks don't sack? It's not enough to speak big grammar and ask for 'circumspection'. lipsrsealed
who am I to proffer solutions without being tagged a wailer. Already, somebody is dismissing my personal opinion as big grammar. grin
Re: Treasury Single Account: Banks To Sack Thousands Of Staff by frankyychiji(f): 11:49am On Sep 12, 2015
niceeric:

God bless u brother!.....ive been scrolling through comments right from the first one hoping to see someone who understands correctly what happened here... Buhari just isn't clever enough to understand that there are so many good policies but one needs to consider the ripple effects that would follow if one actualises them so one doesn't get tagged a bad person despite wanting good for the populace.
I know a man like him never listens to counsel and I hope he doesn't drag us deep down the drain with his 'one man mopol' reasoning before his tenure ends but I know for sure it is what our suddenly loving ally-the united states wants for us
We are watching Buhari but thank God Nigerians are wiser due to 50yrs of misrule and would not hesitate to call out the government when they start derailing.
Re: Treasury Single Account: Banks To Sack Thousands Of Staff by darqly(m): 12:05pm On Sep 12, 2015
As with other investments, you must NEVER put all your eggs in one basket. Not all banks will be affected as badly as others; Some banks have a healthy mix of deposits (liabilities) whilst others (We ALL know them lipsrsealed) depend largely on government and public sector funds.
Banks in Nigeria have largely been one-way businesses: Take from government, giving low rates and lend to the public at premium rates.
Now that government funds are not the bonanza they used to be, perhaps banks will look at sectors that critically need funding and investments to scale up or succeed, and actually support these businesses for a change. Blaming the job losses (esp in the private sector) on Buhari is just plain lame as these are profit making entities, not NGOs. If they cannot increase profits or even break even, they have to reduce wastes and cut costs.

2 Likes

Re: Treasury Single Account: Banks To Sack Thousands Of Staff by Folabimi(m): 12:14pm On Sep 12, 2015
embarassed
Re: Treasury Single Account: Banks To Sack Thousands Of Staff by njola34(m): 12:14pm On Sep 12, 2015
People should learn to ask question before opening their mouth to talk. Nigerians have been so use to doing things the wrong way. We all have to go back to the basis Now for the sake of our unborn child. The Federal government said they want their funds in their own bank(CBN) and suddenly this as resulted in issues ......Over the years the banks fat cat feeds. On this easy funds, forgetting it will end someday since in their mind it is nigerian, doing the wrongthing is normal......It is all over now..........................

3 Likes

Re: Treasury Single Account: Banks To Sack Thousands Of Staff by ibisko04: 12:25pm On Sep 12, 2015
SeverusSnape:

Buhari's own is worse, just look, Only four months in power and tens of thousands of Jobs have been lost.

I'm not happy about it, because I have friends who are Bankers.
If you have friends who are bankers, I have siblings who are bankers. This is not about bankers losing their jobs but about the system correcting itself.
All these jobs being lost now will be regained by this time next year when everything must have started taking proper shape.
We have been deceiving ourselves for long time.
An economy that produces almost nothing for the local market is nothing but rents seeking economy.
We are only promoting other countries products. Let us start looking inward for our consumables, let us go back to local production of our needs.
Let us do away with the crazy for imported materials that can be made locally.
People are only going to be more proactive now.
Let those that lost their jobs put on their thinking cap and make something happen.
Re: Treasury Single Account: Banks To Sack Thousands Of Staff by ahaika23: 12:32pm On Sep 12, 2015
you have this you have that, tell me when, where and what industry was downsizing when GEJ was president. Was it not GEJ who made sure more companies established, gave youths millions in YOUWIN to start their businesses? Blinded by sycophancy! Spits on quote.
Axeurdaddy:

I have relatives who had everything going good for them before Jonathan became the president and the harsh economic situation of the country led to them being booted out of their jobs. How's that too?
Re: Treasury Single Account: Banks To Sack Thousands Of Staff by fortune1968: 12:34pm On Sep 12, 2015
SeverusSnape:

NA ur papa be dullard not our beloved President .
Re: Treasury Single Account: Banks To Sack Thousands Of Staff by ugbah007: 12:54pm On Sep 12, 2015
Bank work is only good for women not men.
Re: Treasury Single Account: Banks To Sack Thousands Of Staff by niceeric(m): 1:24pm On Sep 12, 2015
frankyychiji:
We are watching Buhari but thank God Nigerians are wiser due to 50yrs of misrule and would not hesitate to call out the government when they start derailing.
I tell u bro,we're way wiser now!
Re: Treasury Single Account: Banks To Sack Thousands Of Staff by ademega(m): 1:43pm On Sep 12, 2015
Obiwiz:

hmmm, u think five thousand naira per month will make a once employed man smile? And how many of dem do u think will survive till d tym d phantom 'apc promises' becomes reality? Make we open our eyes o; generally speaking, nothing good is coming from any Nigerian politician.
good questions.
what I know is something good is coming out of BUHARI administration and I will eat from the goodies
Re: Treasury Single Account: Banks To Sack Thousands Of Staff by christinie(f): 3:52pm On Sep 12, 2015
Uwc.
Adesiji77:

Thank you kiss

That's what I thought too...
Re: Treasury Single Account: Banks To Sack Thousands Of Staff by InvertedHammer: 3:58pm On Sep 12, 2015
SeverusSnape:

Buhari's own is worse, just look, Only four months in power and tens of thousands of Jobs have been lost.

I'm not happy about it, because I have friends who are Bankers.
/
Any entity that is not a government-licensed contractor but whose revenue is fully dependent on government's patronage does not fit to exist.

So Nigeria banks have no business model outside of handling government allocations?

Banks should go back to banking and financing--the core principles of the industry.
\

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Single Account: Banks To Sack Thousands Of Staff by ogundokun: 4:14pm On Sep 12, 2015
SeverusSnape:

Oh, really?!... I had aquintances who were hale and hearty before Buhari came on board, all of a sudden, They are now on sick beds, because of the downward slope of our health care system under Buhari. How about that?
perhaps they are corrupt.
Re: Treasury Single Account: Banks To Sack Thousands Of Staff by favourlove1: 4:16pm On Sep 12, 2015
Axeurdaddy:

Mr Severus, Please do not do this. Mention one administration since the days of Obasanjo that people did not lose their jobs.

This isn't about the Presidency, Its a national dilemma. We should be concerned about the solution rather personalising the problem on the Presidency, except if you're happy about it.
I presume you have a very good job that's y u sound the way u do. First bf PMB came up wth single federation ac dint he knw dat this was gono happen? Second imagine whr all the banks in nigeria lays off over a thousand staff. Pls!
Re: Treasury Single Account: Banks To Sack Thousands Of Staff by christinie(f): 4:27pm On Sep 12, 2015
Paid e-rats always justifying all buhari's evil deeds by telling us that GEJ was that way too.
GEJ never introduced policies that made people lose their jobs massively like what's happening now.
Let's even assume that GEJ was like that, DIDN'T APC PROMISE US CHANGE or is it negative change?
Axeurdaddy:

We both know it isn't, Do not allow petty hatred cloud your sense of judgement. I have friends and families who lost their jobs in Jonathan's era as well.
Re: Treasury Single Account: Banks To Sack Thousands Of Staff by iomoge2(f): 5:00pm On Sep 12, 2015
emerged01:

have you forgotten they are the decision makers? Don't even expect that to happen. If you were in their shoe you will do the same.

Sacrifice is a very costly commodity to pay for
- emerged01

And who said we don't have decision makers in d making?
It's like saying the old should keep ruling us till they die n d young are not ready to take up d job.

I know a top shot banker who was sacked after 20years of service. He was negligent in his duties and fraud happened under his nostrils.
This guy has opened a loan company.
They now gI've. out short term loans to individuals who reside in Lagos.
He has a full office, employed over 20graduates n businesses booming.
His people collect over 120k take home montly.
If he was still seating his ass.s in dat bank or if he wasn't shown d way out...
Those 20would be roaming d street

They have made enough, they should invest n enlarge our economy.
Let there be space for others.
Re: Treasury Single Account: Banks To Sack Thousands Of Staff by babestella: 5:59pm On Sep 12, 2015
There many effective and accountable ways of keeping govt many on commercial banks without having to pull them out to a central account in can.

The nature of our economy is such that commercial banks depends heavily on government money/public sector funds to be able to stay afloat and also give out loans to SME and other businesses.
One thing that comes to mind is how many Nigerians have good jobs and are able to save some money at the end of the day after all expenses.

I see a situation where the banks will go almost under as a result of this issue and then buhari will extend a bailout proposal to them.
Re: Treasury Single Account: Banks To Sack Thousands Of Staff by samuelson06(m): 6:12pm On Sep 12, 2015
SeverusSnape:

Oh, really?!... I had aquintances who were hale and hearty before Buhari came on board, all of a sudden, They are now on sick beds, because of the downward slope of our health care system under Buhari. How about that?

I never believed you were this stupeed until today. Guy, relax abeg. No government was designed for your personal success or failure or even for those of your friends and acquaintances. Let this sink into your skull pls. Leave President Buhari alone and take your life to the drawing board once again.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Richard Gbadebo's Death: FG Orders Immediate Seal Up Of WAW Factory / 7 Jobs You Can Do Without A University Degree / Man Sells Corns And Pears With His Bike In Makurdi (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.