Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,758 members, 7,824,179 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:07 AM

Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. - Business (84) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. (388766 Views)

7 Must-have Qualities If You Want To Succeed In Any Online Business / 7 Ultimate Ways To Succeed In Your Online Business!!!!! / Withdraw From Fiverr, Paypal, Upwork, Freelancer, Elance, With Confidence. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (81) (82) (83) (84) (85) (86) (87) ... (190) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by FIRIKI(m): 6:04pm On Feb 22, 2017
Nice
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by Caleb5: 7:05pm On Feb 22, 2017
Please i need help,i created a nigerian account on web design but was rejected.I had to create a uk account,and now,i am been asked to verify my identity via video call.Please help.
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by Caleb5: 7:06pm On Feb 22, 2017
cc. victor101
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by ranson(m): 11:49pm On Feb 22, 2017
mdoub:

You Go pay me something. Cash and carry go.
No problem, in as much as it is not Nairaland article outsourcing. How much are we looking at? I believe it should be a token.
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by Adek15(m): 12:23am On Feb 23, 2017
Adek15:
guys please, i am new to upwork, thanks to the op and people on this thread. thing is i submitted a proposal on a job and i got a feedback which state that i should deposit a refundable security so that he would be sure i will do the job. my questions are:
1. is it right to deposit money to his account when he is the client?
2. he mentioned accounts like paypal, neteller and skrill and i dont even have those accounts neither do i even know what they mean
3. after doing jobs, how do i get paid? i mean can the client pay directly into my first bank (nigeria) account

Another thing is i will like to know bid range for jobs. thank you in advance.
please guys, I need answers to the 2,3 and 4 questions asap. Thanks in advance
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by Nobody: 5:01am On Feb 23, 2017
Send me mail mark.ekperi at Gmail. Com
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by mus1(m): 6:26am On Feb 23, 2017
Adek15:
please guys, I need answers to the 2,3 and 4 questions asap. Thanks in advance
I have never used upwork before but I use freelancer, however i have never heard of or paid a deposit to be awarded a project. Paying a deposit to do a project when u are the freelancer is a huge red flag in my opinion. In the case of freelancer, the company takes its 10% commission the moment you accept the project. Secondly, paypal, Skrill and neteller are all payment gateways/platforms that allows you to send and receive money which also answers your 3rd question. To know more about these payment platforms, kindly google them and do a little research smiley.

5 Likes

Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by born2wyn(f): 7:40am On Feb 23, 2017
dont pay him any money he should be the one paying you bro,if the job is done already he should pay you.Pls those on upwork should help him out.
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by nurd(m): 8:14am On Feb 23, 2017
Adek15:
guys please, i am new to upwork, thanks to the op and people on this thread. thing is i submitted a proposal on a job and i got a feedback which state that i should deposit a refundable security so that he would be sure i will do the job. my questions are:
1. is it right to deposit money to his account when he is the client?
2. he mentioned accounts like paypal, neteller and skrill and i dont even have those accounts neither do i even know what they mean
3. after doing jobs, how do i get paid? i mean can the client pay directly into my first bank (nigeria) account

Another thing is i will like to know bid range for jobs. thank you in advance.

Welcome to the Upwork family.

1. If a client wants to know if you can do a particular job, he will ask you to submit a sample or complete a sample that is similar to the job you are applying for. If a client is asking you to deposit, it is time to report to Upwork. That client is out to scam you.

2. It is true. Skrill exists. Neteller exists. Paypal exists too. And you may need one of them to withdraw your fund later on. However, they are not meant for you to send money to a client. They should be opened for you to withdraw.

3. The client cannot pay directly into your first bank account. Although, there is now an option to withdraw directly to your bank account but the rate is very poor. It will not pay you. But you should not worry about this yet. Wait till you start earning.

Lastly, you can't know the bid range for jobs. If your account is free, you can't. But Upwork has an option to upgrade. If you upgrade (I think it is $10/month), you can see the bid range then.

I hope I've answered your questions succinctly.
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by ELff: 8:57am On Feb 23, 2017
Good morning people, please how do I get a free lynda account. Need to upgrade my skills and very urgent pls. Wld appreciate your prompt responses. Thanks.
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by Xzbit91: 9:04am On Feb 23, 2017
ELff:
Good morning people, please how do I get a free lynda account. Need to upgrade my skills and very urgent pls. Wld appreciate your prompt responses. Thanks.

http://rilnetnigeria.com/2016/12/31/lynda-com-video-tutorial/
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by Adek15(m): 9:27am On Feb 23, 2017
mus1:

I have never used upwork before but I use freelancer, however i have never heard of or paid a deposit to be awarded a project. Paying a deposit to do a project when u are the freelancer is a huge red flag in my opinion. In the case of freelancer, the company takes its 10% commission the moment you accept the project. Secondly, paypal, Skrill and neteller are all payment gateways/platforms that allows you to send and receive money which also answers your 3rd question. To know more about these payment platforms, kindly google them and do a little research smiley.
thank you
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by Adek15(m): 9:28am On Feb 23, 2017
nurd:

1. If a client wants to know if you can do a particular job, he will ask you to submit a sample or complete a sample that is similar to the job you are applying for. If a client is asking you to deposit, it is time to report to Upwork. That client is out to scam you.

2. It is true. Skrill exists. Neteller exists. Paypal exists too. And you may need one of them to withdraw your fund later on. However, they are not meant for you to send money to a client. They should be opened for you to withdraw.

3. The client cannot pay directly into your first bank account. Although, there is now an option to withdraw directly to your bank account but the rate is very poor. It will not pay you. But you should not worry about this yet. Wait till you start earning.

Lastly, you can't know the bid range for jobs. If your account is free, you can't. But Upwork has an option to upgrade. If you upgrade (I think it is $10/month), you can see the bid range then.

mehn!! i am very grateful for your response and others. thank you very much

you can imagine, two other people contacted me via mail that they will send me details for jobs i bid for and i should let them know if i am interested. i read through the mail only to find out that the mail i got which told me to deposit money is the same with those ones.
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by emmaversity(m): 1:41pm On Feb 23, 2017
Hello guys,

My greetings to all in the house, due honour goes to victor101, tonyx4xx44 and other freelancer gurus. Thanks so much for the direction so far. Please am having issues with opening a paypal account which i want to use for my upwork account. I tried to link a firstbank naira mastercard with my paypal account but i was shown that the card cannot be used. Please if anyone has any experience with linking a paypal account with mastercard pls share i will be most grateful. My challenges are;

1.Which mastercard ( naira mastercard, dollar mastercard etc) can i use to link my paypa a/c?
2. Where do i locate the csc (3 digit) on the mastercard?
3. After opening a paypal account can i withdraw the money in the paypal a/c with a payoneer mastercard (since Nigerians can't make withdrawal from paypal).
4. Otherwise which is the best withdraw method, besides the one upwork has recommended for Nigerian freelancers which according what i have read is very uncomfortable (i.e $30 on any transter to local bank excluding the $20 charge from the local bank).

Pls guys a very clear direction will be most appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation of your earliest response.

1 Like

Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by Nobody: 3:31pm On Feb 23, 2017
emmaversity:
Hello guys,

My greetings to all in the house, due honour goes to victor101, tonyx4xx44 and other freelancer gurus. Thanks so much for the direction so far. Please am having issues with opening a paypal account which i want to use for my upwork account. I tried to link a firstbank naira mastercard with my paypal account but i was shown that the card cannot be used. Please if anyone has any experience with linking a paypal account with mastercard pls share i will be most grateful. My challenges are;

1.Which mastercard ( naira mastercard, dollar mastercard etc) can i use to link my paypa a/c?
3. After opening a paypal account can i withdraw the money in the paypal a/c with a payoneer mastercard (since Nigerians can't make withdrawal from paypal).
4. Otherwise which is the best withdraw method, besides the one upwork has recommended for Nigerian freelancers which according what i have read is very uncomfortable (i.e $30 on any transter to local bank excluding the $20 charge from the local bank).

Young man, you can't receive money with a Nigerian Paypal account. The only way to go around this is to open a foreign account by either hiding your ip or getting someone there to do it for you. Another thing is getting access to the money. I would suggest skrill or payoneer. You can use my Payoneer referal link lets both make $25 https://share.payoneer.com/nav/RnrLoJ5q5B8sXNcaRtstDfoNKwor-Zwnb-ASfu-0ODDamdRn2JO59wO2E4fn-Bnnk_3DZnaqJ194dtapKpu_kA2 . I have been suspended on Upwork so I dont know if Skrill still works, but you can also use a domiciliary account but you will pay about $30 for each withdrawal. Just read about payment methods etc,
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by ELff: 4:04pm On Feb 23, 2017
Xzbit91:

http://rilnetnigeria.com/2016/12/31/lynda-com-video-tutorial/
Thanks so much man, but the problem with that link is that it doesn't direct to where I can get the library card number. Pls I would appreciate more help.
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by Xzbit91: 5:04pm On Feb 23, 2017
ELff:

Thanks so much man, but the problem with that link is that it doesn't direct to where I can get the library card number. Pls I would appreciate more help.

Sorry, this link was given to me a long time ago. Can't seem to find more information about how to get library card number without physical presence.
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by tonyx4x44(m): 6:27pm On Feb 23, 2017
emmaversity:
Hello guys,

Your best option right now is payoneer
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by Xzbit91: 9:33pm On Feb 23, 2017
ELff:

Just got an idea, copy the dead link and paste in your browser, it will work
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by ELff: 11:14pm On Feb 23, 2017
Xzbit91:

Just got an idea, copy the dead link and paste in your browser, it will work
Thanks so much, let me try it out.
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by Mrdigitech(m): 3:15am On Feb 24, 2017
born2wyn:
dont pay him any money he should be the one paying you bro,if the job is done already he should pay you.Pls those on upwork should help him out.

I have been following this thread for some months and have gained valuable information from it. Concerning the guy that posted about making payments "So-called security deposit to clients". Please this is a cheap scam done mostly by Indians, Pakistanis and some third-world citizens. Please never pay a dime to get a job. Make sure you read the terms of contract thoroughly and see that it has been funded in the case of fixed-price projects. Some scammers can put $100 as buget and then fund the contract with 0.01 or 0.02 cents. Becareful! They can use worthless contracts like these to hurt your ratings if you don't do their bidding. These scammers mostly target newbies. That will be all for today. Will share some few tips as time goes on.

By the way, I'm a Toprated seller in the graphics design niche.

Regards

4 Likes

Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by justi4jesu(f): 9:46am On Feb 24, 2017
Fiverr Paypal withdrawals available

Minimum $100

Contact me on whatsapp
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by Adek15(m): 12:27pm On Feb 24, 2017
Mrdigitech:

I have been following this thread for some months and have gained valuable information from it. Concerning the guy that posted about making payments "So-called security deposit to clients". Please this is a cheap scam done mostly by Indians, Pakistanis and some third-world citizens. Please never pay any dime for a job. Make sure you read the terms of contract thoroughly and see that it has been funded in the case of fixed-price projects. Some scammers can put $100 as buget and then fund the contract with 0.01 or 0.02 cents. Becareful! They can use worthless contracts like these to hurt your ratings if you don't do their bidding. These scammers mostly target newbies. That will be all for today. Will share some few tips as time goes on.

By the way, I'm a Toprated seller in the graphics design niche.

Regards
thank you. he even insulted me and my mum after I told him I dont have any money to pay him which made me to report him to upwork.
and you are right, he has an indian/pakistani handle.

3 Likes

Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by easysunny(m): 2:13pm On Feb 24, 2017
nurd:

Pls I need clarification. Am a newbie at upwork and freelancing generally. You people are doing a great job.
Is it genuine and possible to accept payment outside upwork after interview? I submitted proposal and this guy invited me for interview through Skype. As we reach agreement on the job, he told me that they pay weekly and it's through either skrill, PayPal , payoneer or direct transfer. That I should specify which one.
But I insisted that the payment should be through upwork and should go ahead to hire me from there. I sense foul play.
Am I right?
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by nurd(m): 2:47pm On Feb 24, 2017
easysunny:

Pls I need clarification. Am a newbie at upwork and freelancing generally. You people are doing a great job.
Is it genuine and possible to accept payment outside upwork after interview? I submitted proposal and this guy invited me for interview through Skype. As we reach agreement on the job, he told me that they pay weekly and it's through either skrill, PayPal , payoneer or direct transfer. That I should specify which one.
But I insisted that the payment should be through upwork and should go ahead to hire me from there. I sense foul play.
Am I right?

Yes my brother. You sense foul play. Foul play of the highest order.

The best way to ensure you don't encounter this problem is to only apply to jobs posted by reputable clients. Look through their profile and see if reviews are generally positive or negative. How much they have spent on upwork.

Always apply to jobs from those who have spent significantly more, have fairly positive reviews, and are willing to obey all upwork regulations. And avoid Indians and their cohorts as someone mentioned before.

This isn't to say you should not apply to jobs where the poster is new. Just make sure there is nothing suspicious about the job, how they pay, and how they communicate.

Hope this helps...
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by easysunny(m): 3:03pm On Feb 24, 2017
nurd:

Yes my brother. You sense foul play. Foul play of the highest order.

The best way to ensure you don't encounter this problem is to only apply to jobs posted by reputable clients. Look through their profile and see if reviews are generally positive or negative. How much they have spent on upwork.

Always apply to jobs from those who have spent significantly more, have fairly positive reviews, and are willing to obey all upwork regulations. And avoid Indians and their cohorts as someone mentioned before.

This isn't to say you should not apply to jobs where the poster is new. Just make sure there is nothing suspicious about the job, how they pay, and how they communicate.

Hope this helps...

Thanks very much. You have enlightened me more
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by pcoolioz(m): 1:11am On Feb 25, 2017
easysunny:

Am I right?

Lol, these kind of guys are much. Ask him to set up a milestone or pay a deposit before you begin and watch him Delete you off skype. Some of them appear reasonable but they are all the same.
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by Caleb5: 8:23am On Feb 25, 2017
Please i am having serious issue uploading my image on upwork since two days now.Please help. embarassed
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by Caleb5: 8:29am On Feb 25, 2017
Caleb5:
Please i am having serious issue uploading my image on upwork since two days now.Please help. embarassed
solved
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by FunnyDude(m): 6:37pm On Feb 25, 2017
Hello. Thanks for creating this thread for we newbies, I have a profile already on upwork using both Foreign IP due to news of scam about Nigerians. My area of skill is Data analytics by use of statistical softwares like R, SAS ,SPSS because I'm a statistician. Now, my question is this:
Is my area of skills profitable on up work?
Is it necessary I use the Foreign IP or I should stick to my Nigerian IP?

Thanks, awaiting reply.
Re: Elance.com, Upwork.com And Other Freelancing Site: How To Succeed Guide. by Nobody: 1:43am On Feb 27, 2017

(1) (2) (3) ... (81) (82) (83) (84) (85) (86) (87) ... (190) (Reply)

Youwin Business Competition 2013 / Simple Secret Of Buying Stuff At Idumota Market Lagos / Making Regular Income Publishing Amazon Kindle Ebooks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 123
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.