Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,816 members, 7,817,366 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:07 AM

Ministers Are Very Important And Not Noisemakers: A Reply To PMB - Politics (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ministers Are Very Important And Not Noisemakers: A Reply To PMB (32986 Views)

A Reply To Reno Omokri By Lauretta Onochie On Hillary Clinton's Election Funding / Some Ministers Are Squatting In Abuja - Amaechi / Buhari's Ministers Are Practical, Energetic And Of Good Reputation~The Economist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ministers Are Very Important And Not Noisemakers: A Reply To PMB by nobeku: 2:23pm On Sep 17, 2015
Mogidi:
[s][/s]

Get lost
Get found.. You are already lost..
Re: Ministers Are Very Important And Not Noisemakers: A Reply To PMB by abbey621(m): 2:25pm On Sep 17, 2015
If the likes of Barcanista are role model for most of you Nairaland kids then I'm sorry to say that you all are hopeless. Let's go back to the basics. What are ministers? What role do they play? Ministers are just like secretaries of the Federal government, they act on directives from the executive branch and can be terminated or appointed as needed. The true administrative functions are handled by the staffs hence why Buhari lays more emphasis on Civil servants and Perm.Secs. I dare anyone here to give me the educational and professional background of Obanikoro and relate it to the position of Minister of Defense or that of Gusau. The truth remains that most Nigerian Ministers were appointed strictly for political reasons and not for the good of the nation. The president knows exactly what he's saying by calling them noise makers, it is my hope and belief that those appointed will be of high moral background and excellent work ethics.

3 Likes

Re: Ministers Are Very Important And Not Noisemakers: A Reply To PMB by abbey621(m): 2:29pm On Sep 17, 2015
Mrco2:
Buhari only showed he lacks the understanding of government and its working. If this was a parliamentary system he would have been shown the way out a long time ago, the economy is bleeding because of lack of policy no one knows where we are heading all we hear is anti-corruption with no arrest. its absurd that three months down the line government has not taken shape all because the president that is suppose to provide leadership doesn't understand what the concept of leadership and governance is all about.

So in your mind, without Ministers policies cannot be formulated. We all shouted corruption during GEJ's administration, GEJ changed ministers frequently during his tenure, wouldn't it make sense for a president championing anti corruption to actually take his time to appoint the right people?

1 Like

Re: Ministers Are Very Important And Not Noisemakers: A Reply To PMB by nobeku: 2:42pm On Sep 17, 2015
Splashme:

Constitutionally, the president needs a FEDERAL EXECUTIVE COUNCIL (FEC) for various levels of approvals. FEC is composed of the president and his ministers and others

Barcanista is far more intelligent than you. You are angry with him because he criticises Buhari not because he doesn't make intelligent aguments
Gutterboy, go and read the 1999 Nigerian constitution.. Chapter 5,Section 147,subsection 2..and please endeavour to send your kids to better private schools than you did, so they won't end up as ignorant as you.. Your parents did you wrong!
Re: Ministers Are Very Important And Not Noisemakers: A Reply To PMB by nobeku: 2:48pm On Sep 17, 2015
Splashme:

Constitutionally, the president needs a FEDERAL EXECUTIVE COUNCIL (FEC) for various levels of approvals. FEC is composed of the president and his ministers and others

Barcanista is far more intelligent than you. You are angry with him because he criticises Buhari not because make intelligent aguments
Sorry Gutterboy, it's chapter 7..
Re: Ministers Are Very Important And Not Noisemakers: A Reply To PMB by Nobody: 2:50pm On Sep 17, 2015
enitiObanke:

Naijadeyhia my bros from Revlution's thread (.....u familiar wit Frankie9ice?), I hail oh!!!

I don't think I am. Whats up
Re: Ministers Are Very Important And Not Noisemakers: A Reply To PMB by nobeku: 2:51pm On Sep 17, 2015
Splashme:

Barcanista is far more intelligent than you. You are angry with him because he criticises Buhari not because make intelligent aguments
Sorry Gutterboy, it's chapter 6...choose one! Hahaha haha haha..
Re: Ministers Are Very Important And Not Noisemakers: A Reply To PMB by wristbangle: 3:02pm On Sep 17, 2015
AprokoMan:

Lol senseless comment coming from a derailed orangutan. The life of a pain, frustrated, starved and ravenous man is not good sha.

Anyway how ur side dey go empty brain? grin
Re: Ministers Are Very Important And Not Noisemakers: A Reply To PMB by Dindondin(m): 3:09pm On Sep 17, 2015
AprokoMan:
Are you well? I throw back your post at your face! Blaady illiterate!
Re: Ministers Are Very Important And Not Noisemakers: A Reply To PMB by Dindondin(m): 3:11pm On Sep 17, 2015
lastpage:

Are you implying that @S.eun shared in the "3Billion Naira Digitalization Largesse" doled out by GEJ... just after he shifted the election date? shocked shocked

Left matter o! I no wan trouble o! grin grin grin
If you allow Suen yo unleash his frustration @ you, you ll be banned till 2019.
Don't mention his name again
Re: Ministers Are Very Important And Not Noisemakers: A Reply To PMB by enitiObanke(m): 3:12pm On Sep 17, 2015
Re: Ministers Are Very Important And Not Noisemakers: A Reply To PMB by Harycj: 3:31pm On Sep 17, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:
I can imagine what will run through the minds of his respondents when he uttered those words.

Do u really blame him? blame it on those cows whose latest slogan is "sai baba" fools
Re: Ministers Are Very Important And Not Noisemakers: A Reply To PMB by Harycj: 3:36pm On Sep 17, 2015
abbey621:

So in your mind, without Ministers policies cannot be formulated. We all shouted corruption during GEJ's administration, GEJ changed ministers frequently during his tenure, wouldn't it make sense for a president championing anti corruption to actually take his time to appoint the right people?

He is obviously championing the course of cows like him........dats y we have bunch of mad cows as his followers.
Re: Ministers Are Very Important And Not Noisemakers: A Reply To PMB by Nobody: 3:59pm On Sep 17, 2015
enitiObanke:
https://www.nairaland.com/2604779/nasty-horrible-pre-order-experience/1#38104105

I just stumbled on this Naijadeyhia.....

Don't know what thats all about
Re: Ministers Are Very Important And Not Noisemakers: A Reply To PMB by oaslink: 4:29pm On Sep 17, 2015
mrvitalis:
Tonye... the fact that people actually praise ur analysis shows the level of decay in Nigerian educational system
Let me educate u a little bit
1) a minister is a mere representative of the president in that ministry
2) the president can pass his directives or give instructions based on his manifesto to any ministery WITH OR WITHOUT A MINISTER
3) ministers are only needed when the president wants to reduce the work load on him.... And if the president is not complaining..... I wonder y u should.. ....

Your comment and number of your praise established our level of illiteracy.
Re: Ministers Are Very Important And Not Noisemakers: A Reply To PMB by Realist2: 4:52pm On Sep 17, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

I think Buhari's preferred style of leadership is 'Sole Administratorship'

No!, Dictatorship runs in his blood,
why did he appoint SGF, CSO , Service Chief ?, since he can do it all alone, forgetting that the constitution which he swore to uphold make it compulsory for him to have cabinet.

Very soon, he will blame it on PDP .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ministers Are Very Important And Not Noisemakers: A Reply To PMB by engineerboat(m): 7:29pm On Sep 17, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:
I'm compelled to write this piece not to spite President Muhammadu Buhari but to cure his misconception of ministers. Earlier today, Mr President was quoted to have made a statement that suggest that ministers are not to relevant in the running of government. According to President Buhari

UNDERSTANDING Ministers and Civil Servants Roles:
Ministers:

Firstly, we have to appreciate the purpose of ministers of the federation. We all we agree that all political parties and candidates standing for elections come with their own program and agenda. These programs are highlighted in their respective document called their Manifesto. The Manifesto is usually in concordance with the overall ideology of the respective parties. When a party's Presidential candidate get elected, he assemble a team of men and women of intellectual standing and believers of his vision to help formulate policies, supervise implementations and defend these policies before the public to actualise the vision and fulfil the President's electoral programs. These group of people are called Ministers. The loyalty of the ministers are to the occupant of the President's office, the country and in most cases the ruling party. Ministers sit and deliberate on policy issues and strategy with the president

Civil Servants:
Every country have a workforce that carry out day-2-day activities of the government in power. We all agree that it is impossible for every government to come on board with their own workforce every 4-8years, hence the country provide for a 'permanent' workforce that will work with every administration. This workforce is called the Civil Service. They are non-partisan career people. They are not to help any political party or candidate formulate policies but are to work with every ruling party and administration to IMPLEMENT policies. They are technocrats and bureaucrats. Their loyalty is not to the ruling party or individual in power but to the "Office of the President" and the Country. They have NO business deliberating on policy issues and strategy with the president or his party. They only take instruction. Let's see a case study...

Case Study: Petroleum Ministry
In the Ministry of Petroleum Resources, there is the Minister, the Permanent Secretary and career Civil Servants, and other agencies and department (eg NNPC, PPPRA etc) under the ministry.

The Minister sit with the President to formulate policies and programs for the sector in line with the President's agenda. S/he prepares budget for the ministry, see to the implementation of this program/policies (supervision) and is answerable to the President, the party and the public. Statutorily, S/he is the Chairperson of the NNPC. She also supervises other department and agencies under her ministry on behalf of the President.

The Permanent Secretary is the Account officer of the ministry and most senior civil servant(rank) in the ministry. S/he is responsible for the implementation of the Minister's policies/program. S/he is the head of the ministerial tender board BUT any contract approved by the board has to be countersigned by the minister (to ensure that they are in tune with the Minister's/President's agenda). He/she is not a member of the Cabinet, neither can S/he replace the minister as the Chairperson of NNPC except S/he resigns and is appointed minister thereafter.

The roles of the minister and permanent secretary are distinct and straight forward. The importance of ministers cannot be over-emphasised. It is instructive to note that Nigeria is not an isolated case when it comes to ministers/permanent secretaries. The United States for instance have Under-Secretaries, which is Nigeria equivalent of Permanent Secretaries, and Secretaries which is ministers equivalent.

Contraty to Buhari's perception, ministers are not for 'noisemaking', neither are they meant to 'fill space' except the incompetent and clueless ones. Without cabinet ministers, a country will be likened to one on 'Auto-piloting'. More importantly, our constitution provide for offices of Ministers just as it provide for the offices of the President and Vice President.

To be fair with the President, his perception of Ministers is inappropriate. I wonder what prompted him to utter such statement when he was a former minister under the General Olusegun Obasanjo military regime between 1977-79. Is he trying to say that he was a 'noisemaking' minister in General Obasanjo cabinet?

May God Bless Us All

You know it will only take a noise-maker to know a noise-maker like him.

1 Like

Re: Ministers Are Very Important And Not Noisemakers: A Reply To PMB by francizy(m): 8:32pm On Sep 17, 2015
Mogidi:

At the emboldened, is it your job to tell the opposition when to respond?

Brother, you dey fall my hands... sad

Don't you know that educating/responding to sammyj is like pouring water inside a basket? angry undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ministers Are Very Important And Not Noisemakers: A Reply To PMB by sammyj: 8:35pm On Sep 17, 2015
......... cheesy angry grin grin grin grin
francizy:

Brother, you dey fall my hands... sad

Don't you know that educating/responding to sammyj is like pouring water inside a basket? angry undecided

1 Like

Re: Ministers Are Very Important And Not Noisemakers: A Reply To PMB by bashydemy(m): 9:11pm On Sep 17, 2015
hinwazaka:

I used 2008 as a reference and as a pun. If you couldn't see that , then am afraid your IQ is rather low
You see you are confusing yourself here, All we are saying is she is not a politician before her appointment as a minister and that was in 2006 not 2008..
Re: Ministers Are Very Important And Not Noisemakers: A Reply To PMB by talktimi(m): 12:13am On Sep 18, 2015
ExInferis:

Aha! I knew he was gonna call out to his dogs to back him up.
do your village dogs operate computers or smartphones ? Please utilize your brain no matter how small it is. Thank
Re: Ministers Are Very Important And Not Noisemakers: A Reply To PMB by kotv: 12:20am On Sep 18, 2015
I need to understand the reason behind the op topic. can I get a link to the topic he addressed.
Re: Ministers Are Very Important And Not Noisemakers: A Reply To PMB by Mrco2: 12:45am On Sep 18, 2015
abbey621:

Taking time my foot if as at today he hasn't appointed his ministers it only points to the fact that he was not prepared for the task of governing a country as complex as Nigeria. Like I said in a parliamentary system a vote of no confident would have been passed on him a long time ago. almost four months just to appoint ministers it's unfortunate.
Re: Ministers Are Very Important And Not Noisemakers: A Reply To PMB by ExInferis(m): 1:02am On Sep 18, 2015
talktimi:
do your village dogs operate computers or smartphones ? Please utilize your brain no matter how small it is. Thank

yes they do. my dog has an ipad.

you've just won the internet award for the most literal person ever.
Re: Ministers Are Very Important And Not Noisemakers: A Reply To PMB by openmine(m): 7:28am On Sep 18, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

Sometimes it is VERY good to use your brain to think...

1. Political party sponsor a candidate for office of the President.
2. The President is to work towards implementation of party manifesto.
3. He employs his ministers who help formulate policies and see to their executions in line with President/Party agenda.
4. THE ministers are exxpected to be LOYAL to the President and defend his government against opposition parties.

Common sense should dictate to you that Ministers are partisan people, hence, majority (if not 100%) are picked from ruling party. The few outsiders (if any) are naturally enmeshed into the ideals of the President's party. Common sense 101
Don't mind that guy..common sense is not common....how can an employed lawyer in a firm go on tv to criticize the company he works for? impossicant!
Re: Ministers Are Very Important And Not Noisemakers: A Reply To PMB by Barcanistar: 4:08pm On Sep 18, 2015
lastpage:

l[b]Are you implying that @Seun shared in the "3Billion Naira Digitalization Largesse" doled out by GEJ... just after he shifted the election date?[/b] shocked shocked

Left matter o! I no wan trouble o! grin grin grin
Bro why u quoting me? See question
Re: Ministers Are Very Important And Not Noisemakers: A Reply To PMB by joseph1832(m): 7:31pm On Sep 18, 2015
mrvitalis:
Tonye... the fact that people actually praise ur analysis shows the level of decay in Nigerian educational system
2) the president can pass his directives or give instructions based on his manifesto to any ministery WITH OR WITHOUT A MINISTER
3) ministers are only needed when the president wants to reduce the work load on him.... And if the president is not complaining..... I wonder y u should.. ....
My brethren in truth, flesh and blood did not reveal this to you!.
Re: Ministers Are Very Important And Not Noisemakers: A Reply To PMB by AprokoMan: 8:22pm On Sep 19, 2015
wristbangle:

[s]Lol senseless comment coming from a derailed orangutan. The life of a pain, frustrated, starved and ravenous man is not good sha.

Anyway how ur side dey go empty brain? grin[/s]

u'll always be an idiot
Re: Ministers Are Very Important And Not Noisemakers: A Reply To PMB by VaselineCrew: 1:56am On Oct 23, 2018
6 months to appoint ministers, calling them noisemakers
Re: Ministers Are Very Important And Not Noisemakers: A Reply To PMB by VaselineCrew: 11:22pm On Feb 18, 2019
mrvitalis:

People were even still hailing him, without minsters, chai
Re: Ministers Are Very Important And Not Noisemakers: A Reply To PMB by VaselineCrew: 11:22pm On Feb 18, 2019
took 6 months to appoint minsters, chai

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Ortom Rides On Gboko-Made Tricycles, Orders For 20 (Photos) / Patience Jonathan Must Explain How She Earned Billions – Sagay / Member Of Tinubu Campaign Council Accused Innoson Of Selling Subpar Vehicles (P

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.