Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,558 members, 7,820,017 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:30 AM

Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary - Culture (30) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary (502719 Views)

We Need To See More Hausa And Fulani Girls Representing Nigeria And In Nollywood / Traditional/ Native Hausa And Fulani Names? / How Did The Populations Of The Igbo, Hausa, And Yoruba Come To Be So Large? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) ... (52) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by fightforchange1(f): 8:33pm On Aug 08, 2014
Fulaman198:

What the heck.........I'm confused now I think I'm going to just bounce out of this thread

Lol francis is kinda sorta explaining somethin....n I was just trying to be friends with him but he thinks that imma cime between him and his love which is maybe that's he rejected me.. .or maybe its that we dont kno each other well.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by fightforchange1(f): 8:38pm On Aug 08, 2014
fightforchange1:

Lol francis is kinda sorta explaining somethin....n I was just trying to be friends with him but he thinks that imma cime between him and his love which is maybe that's he rejected me.. .or maybe its that we dont kno each other well.

Do not use words like dat
"Your damsel"
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by fightforchange1(f): 8:38pm On Aug 08, 2014
fightforchange1:

Do not use words like dat
"Your damsel"

He has gf
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Fulaman198(m): 8:43pm On Aug 08, 2014
fightforchange1:

Lol francis is kinda sorta explaining somethin....n I was just trying to be friends with him but he thinks that imma cime between him and his girl which is maybe that's he rejected me.. .or maybe its that we dont kno each other well.

I don't think Francis rejected you miss, he is a busy guy. Did he say he rejected you?
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by fightforchange1(f): 8:49pm On Aug 08, 2014
Fulaman198:

I don't think Francis rejected you miss, he is a busy guy. Did he say he rejected you?

Nope but I sent him an email. ...n he didn't respond.
And I confirmed it on NL....he said he got it....n then replied he's taken.

At the time I will not lie I hit on him in romantically and that screwed sh*t up....but he always replying to my stuff...which was why I got upset.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by odumchi: 11:16pm On Aug 08, 2014
Ino nkiti ajoka. grin

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by fightforchange1(f): 11:41pm On Aug 08, 2014
fightforchange1:

Nope but I sent him an email. ...n he didn't respond.
And I confirmed it on NL....he said he got it....n then replied he's taken.

At the time I will not lie I hit on him in romantically and that screwed sh*t up....but he always replying to my stuff...which was why I got upset.

He said to his friend he doesnt like me...he should leave me alone
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by fightforchange1(f): 12:17am On Aug 09, 2014
fightforchange1:

He said to his friend he doesnt like me...he should leave me alone

I dont want to report him...n I could tell u to di it.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by moonKayCho(m): 4:08pm On Aug 15, 2014
Hello.

I am a Caribbean guy. As many people in the black diaspora, i'm interested in african cultures and languages. I chose to look into Yoruba, because with 28M people speaking this language, i thought there would be easily available resources online. In fact there are not that many.
So i'm trying to learn it the best i can online, but sources seem to contradict themselves.
In one site, i find that "Mo soro" means "I spoke", and then "i speak", and then it seems that it's "mo nsoro". I don't understand.
Could a native speaker explain to me simply the construction of present and past tense in this language please?

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by fightforchange1(f): 7:03am On Aug 17, 2014
moonKayCho: Hello.

I am a Caribbean guy. As many people in the black diaspora, i'm interested in african cultures and languages. I chose to look into Yoruba, because with 28M people speaking this language, i thought there would be easily available resources online. In fact there are not that many.
So i'm trying to learn it the best i can online, but sources seem to contradict themselves.
In one site, i find that "Mo soro" means "I spoke", and then "i speak", and then it seems that it's "mo nsoro". I don't understand.
Could a native speaker explain to me simply the construction of present and past tense in this language please?

good choice guy....I'm carib n I'm learning too.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by fightforchange1(f): 7:32am On Aug 17, 2014
fightforchange1:

good choice guy....I'm carib n I'm learning too.

nso=speak
Soro=spole
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by fightforchange1(f): 8:18am On Aug 17, 2014
mo lo ikawe lati gba kan Iwe.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by fightforchange1(f): 4:36pm On Aug 17, 2014

get the yoruba tradeanslator on android app

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by moonKayCho(m): 5:30pm On Aug 17, 2014
Oh thank you. I didn't know there was such a thing. I'll download it.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by bigfrancis21: 5:43pm On Aug 17, 2014

One thing common to most african languages is the presence of variations or dialects in the language. One particular dialect might say it this way, another dialect might say it otherwise. Same goes for spanish as the Mexican spanish differs from the Spain spanish considerably. To overcome this variation, some tribes, like Yoruba or Igbo for example, came up with an official dialect of the language to be used for official purposes, writing, reading, teaching in schools etc for ease of communication. This makes speakers of both languages switch easily between their native dialects when within their own people and the central dialect when speaking with speakers of a different dialect. It is therefore important that when learning an african language, be particular about the dialect you are learning and stick to it so as to avoid confusion. Or you stick to the central or official dialect of the language.

It is from my own personal observation that Yoruba language tends to lack past and past participle tense forms for its verbs. Its verbs tends to be just one for all verb forms. One particular verb can mean present tense, past tense, and past participle at the same time, depending on the usage at that time. This in one way makes yoruba easy to learn as the new speaker doesn't have to bother himself learning all the different verb forms to one particular verb, and for all verbs in the language as in English(speak, spoke,spoken or do, did, done), French(during my secondary school days we were taught irregular verbs in french, those which differed from the usual verb forms in french and which had 8 different verb forms) or in Igbo[kwuo(speak), kwuru(spoke), kwugo(spoken) or jee(go), jere(went), jego(gone)].

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by fightforchange1(f): 2:10am On Aug 18, 2014
moonKayCho: Oh thank you. I didn't know there was such a thing. I'll download it.
hey try
aroadeyoruba.com
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by fightforchange1(f): 2:35am On Aug 18, 2014
fightforchange1:
hey try
aroadeyoruba.com

n keep up with wat.iI.post.
also Tri Nigerian dictionary on.android

sorry bout the past tense..Lol
still.a learner.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by fightforchange1(f): 3:16pm On Aug 18, 2014
ti o dara-bra
Buburu-bad
korira-hatred
seeti shirt
igi tree
iku death
alubosa onion
osan Orange
osan oyinbo pineapple
aso clothes
Efo vegetable
epa peanuts
tolotolo Turkey
sugar- suga
banana ogede
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by fightforchange1(f): 12:47am On Aug 19, 2014
mo igba dun ka ati Orin.
ife Nkan ni mo fe.
mo ti lo si raves ati ogo.
ogbogbo eniyan ni o wa kaabo.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by fuckluv(f): 8:40pm On Aug 23, 2014

Mo soro- I speak (present tense)
Mo ti soro- I have spoken/ I had spoken (present perfect/ past perfect tense).
Mo n soro- I am speaking(present continuous tense).

Note that the 2nd and 3rd sentences has "ti" and "n" which changes the meaning. Happy learning smiley

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by fuckluv(f): 9:34pm On Aug 23, 2014
fightforchange1: mo igba dun ka ati Orin.
ife Nkan ni mo fe.
mo ti lo si raves ati ogo.
ogbogbo eniyan ni o wa kaabo.
cheesy
I just smiled at this. But you are trying! With this determination you will understand the language in no time.

Let me help you to re-constructure those sentenses:
Mo n gbadun orin- I'm enjoying the music.
Where: Mo-I
n-its used to join words to make a continuous tense.
gbadun- enjoy
Orin- music

Ife re nikan ni mofe-I want only your love.
Where: Ife- love
re-your
Nikan- only
Mofe- I want.

Mo ti lo si raves ati ogo-
Mo ti- I have
Lo si- gone to
Ati- and
Ogo- glory.
NB: you can see that I didn't translate it before outlining. That's because "raves" is English and i don't know what you meant to write.

Gbogbo eniyan ni o wa- Everyone was there.
Gbogbo-every
Eniyan-people/human being
Ni o wa- present/there.

And the last one:
Kaabo-meaning welcome. smiley
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by fightforchange1(f): 4:37am On Aug 24, 2014
fuckluv: cheesy
I just smiled at this. But you are trying! With this determination you will understand the language in no time.

Let me help you to re-constructure those sentenses:
Mo n gbadun orin- I'm enjoying the music.
Where: Mo-I
n-its used to join words to make a continuous tense.
gbadun- enjoy
Orin- music

Ife re nikan ni mofe-I want only your love.
Where: Ife- love
re-your
Nikan- only
Mofe- I want.

Mo ti lo si raves ati ogo-
Mo ti- I have
Lo si- gone to
Ati- and
Ogo- glory.
NB: you can see that I didn't translate it before outlining. That's because "raves" is English and i don't know what you meant to write.

Gbogbo eniyan ni o wa- Everyone was there.
Gbogbo-every
Eniyan-people/human being
Ni o wa- present/there.

And the last one:
Kaabo-meaning welcome. smiley

hahaha!
what I was trying to say is
I enjoy music and reading
Love is all I need
all people r welcome...

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by fuckluv(f): 12:23pm On Aug 24, 2014
fightforchange1:

hahaha!
what I was trying to say is
I enjoy music and reading
Love is all I need
all people r welcome...

Okay.
I enjoy music and reading- Mo gbadun orin ati iwe kika.
Love is all I need- Ife nikan ni mo fe.
All people are welcome- Gbogbo eniyan laye gba.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by esenicky(f): 2:14pm On Aug 27, 2014
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Alima2(f): 2:47pm On Sep 14, 2014
hello all, Who can translate dis to yoruba,Varicocele B-)
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by splash23: 6:11pm On Sep 24, 2014
Sissy3:

good translation grin grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy
like say u growth up in IBO land abi. good job.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by odumchi: 2:57am On Oct 05, 2014
What's the meaning of 'okokobioko'?
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by bigfrancis21: 3:03am On Oct 05, 2014
odumchi:
What's the meaning of 'okokobioko'?

It is just an expression for an exclamation at something remarkable or astonishing, not really catastrophic or bad.

For example, 'Emeka golu motor 3.7 million naira! Okokobioko!'

Been a long time Odumchi. How are you doing?
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by odumchi: 3:39am On Oct 05, 2014
bigfrancis21:

It is just an expression for an exclamation at something remarkable or astonishing, not really catastrophic or bad.

For example, 'Emeka golu motor 3.7 million naira! Okokobioko!'

Been a long time Odumchi. How are you doing?

Di anyi, anofu m. Daalu na okwu ikowaalu m. O bu n'ezie na o tego. Mgbaghali na ife dichasi iche iche ekwerozi mmadu iji anolu ofu ebe mana n'oge n'adiro anya fa ncha ya-ebelu. Keezi maka gi? Aru na ije Oyibo kwanu?
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by bigfrancis21: 4:30am On Oct 05, 2014
odumchi:

Di anyi, anofu m. Daalu na okwu ikowaalu m. O bu n'ezie na o tego. Mgbaghali na ife dichasi iche iche ekwerozi mmadu iji anolu ofu ebe mana n'oge n'adiro anya fa ncha ya-ebelu. Keezi maka gi? Aru na ije Oyibo kwanu?

Di anyi ehh, I suchapulu Igbo bee anyi, suo nya nno ofuma o yie ife. O nwero nke I sutafolu. smiley

Okoto kali, di anyi. Mgbaghali na igbakili ana di ebe anunwa a burokwa asaanwulu. Ife di n'obodo a erika. A furo onye a koolu. Mana, anyi ga na-anwa ka ike ra anyi, ma rapuzialu Chukwu nke fodunu. Ije uwa ka anyi bialu, anyi ga-afukwuazi ya luo na njedebe ya.

Aru di m. Akwukwo na-aga nno selelem welelem, beelu so programming anyi na-eme ndi a cholu iji mebisi nwa mmadu ubulu. grin
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Angelou(m): 8:11pm On Oct 05, 2014
skolars:
Love means Ifunanya.Tell me gold digger,BIRTHDAY,CELEBRATION and PHLEGM IS IGBO,HAUSA AND YORUBA
IN YORUBA ONLY:¿
gold digger = onijibiti
birthday = ojo ibi
celebration = ayeye
phelgm = sad kelebe!!

(1) (2) (3) ... (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) ... (52) (Reply)

Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. / ..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.