Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,151 members, 7,818,467 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:28 PM

Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary - Culture (27) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary (502514 Views)

We Need To See More Hausa And Fulani Girls Representing Nigeria And In Nollywood / Traditional/ Native Hausa And Fulani Names? / How Did The Populations Of The Igbo, Hausa, And Yoruba Come To Be So Large? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) ... (52) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by WHees(m): 8:47pm On Oct 26, 2013
Azboy34: Nawa o.. Is there no HAUSA TRIBE in dis room?

Well, maybe they are busy relocating to niger, cameroun, chad or the nearest republic ever since they heard you wanna eat them.

Azboy34: Cus i need somebody to tell me d meaning of d follown words in hausa lang... Firstly, what z gud evening in hausa lang?

Ehm, it is "ina wuni"

Azboy34: Secondly, how do i say "how av been ur day in hausa lang?

"Dafatan ka(he)/kin(she) wuni lafiya.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Ryabcool(m): 3:18am On Oct 28, 2013
This has been plaguing me since the beginning of this year and has caused me to come seek enlightenment on this forum with the hopes knowledgeable persons in yoruba traditions and cultural values will be able to shed extensive light and thereby broaden my horizon.

Early this year, a close relative came to visit we had a few important discussions. Just as she was leaving, she turned and said "all these things are happening for a reason. The signs are too obvious. Shey o mo pe akanda omo ni e?"... I being poor in yoruba couldn't grasp the meaning but pretended to understand so as not to be seen as dull in front of my other family members. After she had left, I asked an uncle what “Akanda Omo” meant and all he just said was that it means a special person. I didn't find this answer satisfying but I kept shut and didn't prod further.

This leads me to ask the following questions;
1. What does Akanda mean?

2. What are the factors that can make someone be called an Akanda?

3.What relevance does it have upon the life of the person being called Akanda?

4. Is it a good or bad thing?

5. Any stories that could shed more light on it and enable me further grasp?

I sincerely hope my questions would be extensively answered in the shortest possible time. Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks a lot...
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Chimaaba: 3:55pm On Oct 30, 2013
Simple Igbo phrase I don't sabi, e be

'Odi kwa mma'.

It sounds like a question some times, but sometimes it sounds like a response. Any enlightenment is appreciated.

Daalu from a non-Igbo speaker.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ifyalways(f): 6:59pm On Nov 03, 2013
Chimaaba: Simple Igbo phrase I don't sabi, e be

'Odi kwa mma'.

It sounds like a question some times, but sometimes it sounds like a response. Any enlightenment is appreciated.

Daalu from a non-Igbo speaker.
Igbo is a tonal language hence the tone decides when its a statement or question. However,the suffix "kwa" more often than not,makes it a question.
O di kwa nma? = question
O di nma = statement/response to question.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ifyalways(f): 7:00pm On Nov 03, 2013
To my Yoruba peeps,please is adigboluja a yoruba word?If yes,what does it mean?
Thanks smiley
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by StarFlux: 12:00am On Nov 04, 2013
ifyalways: To my Yoruba peeps,please is adigboluja a yoruba word?If yes,what does it mean?
Thanks smiley
I believe it means: something in the lines of a "fighter".
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ifyalways(f): 12:07pm On Nov 06, 2013
StarFlux: I believe it means: something in the lines of a "fighter".
Thanks.

A similar word exists in Igbo language and I believe its a borrowed word . In Igbo dibia adigboloja means an ill-equipped native doctor.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by 0monnakoda: 1:08pm On Nov 06, 2013
Just some corrections for Eboe peeps
It is
Omo not Umu
Omonna not Umunna grin
Ile NOT Ala
Enu NOT Onu
Elo not ole
pe not Kpo
Akpo not Akpa
Ewure not Ewu
Ibi not eba
Kini not Gini

Ibi ahin not ebe ahun
Ibi ewo or Ib'o ? Not Ebee?
Afefe NoT Ifufu
N'gbo NOT Mbo
Please learn how to speak correctly
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by StarFlux: 9:06pm On Nov 07, 2013
ifyalways:
Thanks.

A similar word exists in Igbo language and I believe its a borrowed word . In Igbo dibia adigboloja means an ill-equipped native doctor.
Hmm, interesting. I wonder if that is the original meaning or if it was changed.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ifyalways(f): 9:14pm On Nov 07, 2013
StarFlux: Hmm, interesting. I wonder if that is the original meaning or if it was changed.
Me too.

Omonna da ,the time you spend trolling you is enough for you to answer my question. All this love for Igbo's? We loff you too. smiley
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Gattusso: 4:16pm On Nov 26, 2013
Please what are the meaning of these hausa language in english........ Kada kada, falafala, ba awunri, ya akurdi, masoya/masoyina, inaso sia doya, inazua, yarima, dansaki, nagode, mugode, yari, yariya, godiya, ya makanrata, nikati, allah sia hey......
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Miner13: 9:22pm On Dec 01, 2013
ifyalways:
Thanks.

in yoruba adigboloja means a group that gather to go for a fight
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Miner13: 9:32pm On Dec 01, 2013
odumchi:

Ndeewo.
ifyalways said ehihie oma
i beg wic 1 naa.
Abi y una dey scata my brain
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by mazikemas: 12:51pm On Dec 04, 2013
lol.. this topic is on fire

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by odumchi: 3:51pm On Dec 04, 2013
Miner13:
i beg wic 1 naa.

'Ehihie oma' is not correct. 'Ehihie' is the Igbo word for 'afternoon' and 'oma' is the Igbo word for 'good' but that does not necessarily mean that the way Igbos greet each other in the daytime must be translated literally as 'good afternoon'. I hope you understand what I mean.

The proper way to translate something in a language is not to do so literally, but to find the ideological equivalent.

Here are the ideological equivalents of various English greetings in Igbo.

Good morning - I saala chi; I boola chi; I tetela

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by odumchi: 3:54pm On Dec 04, 2013
Miner13:
i beg wic 1 naa.

'Ehihie oma' is not correct. 'Ehihie' is the Igbo word for 'afternoon' and 'oma' is the Igbo word for 'good' but that does not necessarily mean that the way Igbos greet each other in the daytime must be translated literally as 'good afternoon'. I hope you understand what I mean.

The proper way to translate something in a language is not to do so literally, but to find the ideological equivalent.

Good morning - I saala chi; I boola chi; I tetela; I putala; I hiala; nnaawo.

Anytime in between morning and night - ndeewo.

Good night - ka chi foo; ka chi voo; ka chi whoo.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Nobody: 7:59pm On Dec 04, 2013
odumchi:

Good morning - I saala chi; I boola chi; I tetela; I putala; I hiala; nnaawo.

Anytime in between morning and night - ndeewo.

Good night - ka chi foo; ka chi voo; ka chi whoo.

I don't think I've heard the bolded before. Please, which communities use them? (I'm familiar with some communities that say something that sound close to 'I hiala' though.)
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by odumchi: 9:05pm On Dec 04, 2013
Radoillo:

I don't think I've heard the bolded before. Please, which communities use them? (I'm familiar with some communities that say something that sound close to 'I hiala' though.)

'I hiala' is used around Ngor Okpuala. 'Nnaawo' is used in Arochukwu and neighboring communities.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Nobody: 9:13pm On Dec 04, 2013
odumchi:

'I hiala' is used around Ngor Okpuala. 'Nnaawo' is used in Arochukwu and neighboring communities.

Interesting. Especially the 'I hiala' bit.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ChinenyeN(m): 12:06am On Dec 05, 2013
Radoillo: Interesting. Especially the 'I hiala' bit.
How so?
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Nobody: 1:16am On Dec 05, 2013
ChinenyeN:
How so?

Well, I came across 'I wiala' while staying briefly in Port Harcourt, and I quickly assumed it was one of the differentiating markers between their speech and the speech of those of us in the Southeast. I'm just a bit surprised a similar-sounding greeting is used in Imo State, that's all.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by PAPAAFRICA: 1:24am On Dec 05, 2013
Soap in Yoruba
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by odumchi: 5:29am On Dec 05, 2013
Radoillo:

Well, I came across 'I wiala' while staying briefly in Port Harcourt, and I quickly assumed it was one of the differentiating markers between their speech and the speech of those of us in the Southeast. I'm just a bit surprised a similar-sounding greeting is used in Imo State, that's all.

The dialects spoken in the Ngor-Okpuala/Egbema axis of Imo are very similar to those spoken in Rivers, so it shouldn't come as a surprise.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by frankudokwublog: 11:44am On Dec 05, 2013
NOW ON AIR!!! Igbo kwenu! Like our page "Odenigbo 99.1FM" https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=398239620306401&refid=48 ODENIGBO 99.1 FM. Your Pan-Eastern Urban Radio... Bringing the best urban feel to the radio experience YOUR RADIO, MY RADIO, OUR RADIO!!! 99.1FM, Obosi

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ChinenyeN(m): 6:33pm On Dec 05, 2013
Radoillo: Well, I came across 'I wiala' while staying briefly in Port Harcourt, and I quickly assumed it was one of the differentiating markers between their speech and the speech of those of us in the Southeast. I'm just a bit surprised a similar-sounding greeting is used in Imo State, that's all.

Oh, okay.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by StarFlux: 8:15pm On Dec 12, 2013
PAPA AFRICA: Soap in Yoruba
Soap is ọṣẹ.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by 9jakool: 11:20pm On Dec 14, 2013
PAPA AFRICA: Soap in Yoruba

Oshe or ose
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by profibadan: 3:43pm On Dec 31, 2013
NIGERIAN CONSTITUTION IN YORUBA VERSION

Ayanbode Oje a member of the Change Movement Nigeria translated the Nigerian Constitution (1999) into Yoruba Language and We have decided to make the document available to everyone for free.

Yoruba /ˈjɒrʊbə/ (natively èdè Yorùbá) is a Niger–Congo language spoken in West Africa. The number of speakers of Yoruba was estimated at around 20 million in the 1990s.The native tongue of the Yoruba people is spoken, among other languages, in Nigeria, Benin, and Togo and in communities in other parts of Africa, Europe and the Americas. A variety of the language, Lucumi, is the liturgical language of the Santería religion of the Caribbean. It is most closely related to the Owo and Itsekiri language (spoken in the Niger-Delta) and Igala spoken in central Nigeria. (Wikipedia – Yoruba Language)

Our objective is to empower the truly disenfranchised, the oppressed, the voiceless to be able to critically engage in participatory democracy and open governance. Please, this document is not for sale and it is to be effectively distributed for the benefit of all.

We are calling for volunteers to help translate the constitution into other indigenous languages in Nigeria. We are currently working on an audio version of the constitution.

Download the 1999 Nigerian Constitution in Yoruba Language

http://www.changemovementng.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/ImageOfin.pdf
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by FOLYKAZE(m): 6:34pm On Dec 31, 2013
I am in the middle here since I couldn't find direct indigenous words for somethings. There are many of these words which are said unnoticedly romancing it foreign lingua thereby loosing it original or local dialects. Here are some fruits which i couldn't find Yoruba word for;

Cashew
Tangerine
Fruit
Mango
Water Melon

I didn't include Apple because it not a fruit found here on our soil. Been that it is imported, foreign names would be imported too. What are the indigenous names for the fruits listed above? If the names could not be provided, does that mean the fruits were foreign fruits or the indigenous words for them are extinct? Would also appreciate other Indigenous names apart from Yoruba which those fruits are called.

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) ... (52) (Reply)

Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. / ..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.