Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,577 members, 7,847,436 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 05:27 PM

The Movie Club - TV/Movies (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / The Movie Club (84029 Views)

3 Idiots: Have You Seen The Movie? Please, Share Your Lessons! / NL Movie-Club: Summer 2011 Stakeout / The Movie "300" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (96) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Movie Club by iice(f): 4:09am On Sep 07, 2009
Jk yeah cheesy

I can't of anything. . .don't even think i will have time to watch anything sad

Did you see it yet?
Re: The Movie Club by Epi: 6:52pm On Sep 07, 2009
justkunmi:

Epi.
Like.the.Jamaicans.ehn?
We.cant.match.those.guys. U.shoot.em.down.here. .they.pop.up.over.there.
But.Nigerians. . .one.shot.kills.us.
you think?  well not in District 9.  It took machines/robots to take out the Nigerians grin grin grin.
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 7:23pm On Sep 07, 2009
Hehe. .lol

Any.movie.u.want.us.to.review.next?

U.seen.'Taking.Of.Pelham.123'?
Re: The Movie Club by Epi: 9:55pm On Sep 07, 2009
nope. is it good?
I like Orphan, it's similar to the The good son with macaulay culkin
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 7:29am On Sep 08, 2009
Its.alright. John.Travolta.and.Denzel.Washington.
Havent.seen.the.Orphan. Almost.saw.it.a.couple.of.weeks.back.but.didnt.
Is.it.good? Been.hearin.lotta.stuff.bout.it.
Like.the.best.horror.sequence.yet. . True?
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 11:51pm On Sep 09, 2009
Inglorious.Basterds.? Anyone?
Re: The Movie Club by JeSoul(f): 6:54pm On Sep 10, 2009
Nope. Haven't seen any Basterds lately smiley

How about we take a trip down the lane and 'review' some older movies?
Re: The Movie Club by MadMax1(f): 8:19pm On Sep 10, 2009
You're just dying to give Norbit a five-star rating. I like the idea though. Some movie greats are in the past. The Matrix, The Sixth Sense, As Good as it Gets, Kung Fu Hustle, LA Confidential, Finding Nemo, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Brokeback Mountain, Braveheart, American Beauty, and on and on and on.
Re: The Movie Club by JeSoul(f): 8:31pm On Sep 10, 2009
hehe perhaps for Norbit . . . but I'm saving those stars for 'Legally Blonde' cool

Max I like your suggestions. Lets do The Matrix series! pretty please? I love pt 1 but have some scathing remarks for the rest of the trinity.
Re: The Movie Club by MadMax1(f): 11:13pm On Sep 10, 2009
Lol don't we all. But that's up to JK. The first instalment's the only one I reckon with. What a movie! The rest is *&^%%"*!
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 7:34am On Sep 11, 2009
Nice.Nice.suggestion. .
Old.movies.are.kinda.better. But.errrhh.Max. .pls.remove.'Brokeback.Mountain'.from.that.your.list. . grin

Madam.JeSoul
Where.is.our.G.I.Joe.review.? U.promised.to.go.thru.the.pain.of.seeing.it.for.the.club. We.still.waiting.o. Lol.

Should.we.do.old.movies.?. Really?
Cos.you.guys.suggested.it.and.you'll.just.go.MIA.when.reviews.start. .lol.
U.promise.to.be.around.when.review.starts.?

@topic
Saw.District.9.fully.and.uninterupted.yesterday. And.it.was.legen. . .wait.for.it. . .dary! Beautifully.crafted.movie.
With.the.documentary.kinda.filming. Just.great. And.I.soooo.love.Obedsanjo. .lol. .lmao. .

I.rate.it.a.90!.
Re: The Movie Club by JeSoul(f): 2:40pm On Sep 11, 2009
justkunmi:

Nice.Nice.suggestion. .
Old.movies.are.kinda.better. But.errrhh.Max. .pls.remove.'Brokeback.Mountain'.from.that.your.list. . grin
   I've actually seen Brokeback . . . if you can stomach the nastiness it is a so-so movie. Not sure what all the oscar talk was about.

Madam.JeSoul
Where.is.our.G.I.Joe.review.? U.promised.to.go.thru.the.pain.of.seeing.it.for.the.club. We.still.waiting.o. Lol.
  JK forget now!  angry  smiley . . . my imaginary cat ate the remote and I haven't been able to uhm . . . watch uhm. . . anything lately . . . except stuff I am actually intrested in

Should.we.do.old.movies.?. Really?
Cos.you.guys.suggested.it.and.you'll.just.go.MIA.when.reviews.start. .lol.
U.promise.to.be.around.when.review.starts.?
  I promise!

@topic
Saw.District.9.fully.and.uninterupted.yesterday. And.it.was.legen. . .wait.for.it. . .dary! Beautifully.crafted.movie.
With.the.documentary.kinda.filming. Just.great. And.I.soooo.love.Obedsanjo. .lol. .lmao. .

I.rate.it.a.90!.
hehe . . .  told ya it was well worth it. Were you mad about the Nigerian part?
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 3:18pm On Sep 11, 2009
I've.seen.Brokeback.Mountain.too. . but.I.dunno.why.Max.and.those.Oscar.people.think.its.great.

. . better.go.force.your.imaginary.cat.purge.out.the.remote.
u.made.a.promise. grin cheesy
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 3:39pm On Sep 11, 2009
About.District.9.
The.movie.was.pure.class. I.espcially.liked.the.Nigerian.part. Twas.what.gave.the.movie.the.nice.touch.it.had.

I.totally.like.Obedsanjo. . .hehe. .lol.

Dunno.why.people.were.peeing.in.their.pants.cos.of.it. It.did.not.ruin.our.image.in.anyway. . And.thats.even.if.we.had.an.image.in.the.first.place. .lol

So.wat.old.movie.u.have.in.mind?
Re: The Movie Club by Gamine(f): 3:43pm On Sep 11, 2009
District 9 kinda reminds me of The Matrix.

How a single movie can breath life into a particular genre.

Hollywood is definitely gonna reply, but i hope we don't see knock-offs.
Re: The Movie Club by JeSoul(f): 3:56pm On Sep 11, 2009
justkunmi:

About.District.9.
The.movie.was.pure.class. I.espcially.liked.the.Nigerian.part. Twas.what.gave.the.movie.the.nice.touch.it.had.

I.totally.like.Obedsanjo. . .hehe. .lol.

Dunno.why.people.were.peeing.in.their.pants.cos.of.it. It.did.not.ruin.our.image.in.anyway. . And.thats.even.if.we.had.an.image.in.the.first.place. .lol
  Ehen I told you before now didn't I? grin

So.wat.old.movie.u.have.in.mind?
  The Matrix Series . . . everyone has watched them.
and yes yes I did make a promise  embarassed  I will fulfil soon enough.

Gamine:

District 9 kinda reminds me of The Matrix.

How a single movie can breath life into a particular genre.

Hollywood is definitely gonna reply, but i hope we don't see knock-offs.
  You hit the nail right on the head. "District 9" is a game-changer, and like all game changers no subsequent knock-offs ever match the brilliance of the original. I'm certain we'll see a second installment though . . .
Re: The Movie Club by iice(f): 4:09pm On Sep 11, 2009
JS shocked

Brokeback has little nastiness in it. I guess you like all the nastiness in Milk.
It was a beautiful film jare. Not for it's gayness but for the performances, Ang Lee's ability to splendidly draw out emotions from actors and the situations.

District 9 was refreshing but it reminds me of Cloverfield cool
Re: The Movie Club by JeSoul(f): 4:42pm On Sep 11, 2009
iice:

JS shocked

Brokeback has little nastiness in it. I guess you like all the nastiness in Milk.
It was a beautiful film jare. Not for it's gayness but for the performances, Ang Lee's ability to splendidly draw out emotions from actors and the situations. 

Anytime you see two men especially kissing no matter the context - is nasty  cool. And nah haven't seen Milk.

and I couldn't resist, here's a youtube video of the famous country singer Willie Nelson's song "Ain't going down on brokeback mountain" (yes I listen to country music) I apologize about the language but it is just toooo fuunnnny!

[flash=200,200]http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/HyF93_kwGeI[/flash]

iice:

District 9 was refreshing but it reminds me of Cloverfield cool
No way . . . what the documentary style of filming?
Re: The Movie Club by iice(f): 4:51pm On Sep 11, 2009
Rofl. It was awesome jare. Heath was awesome kiss I guess you should stay away from Milk then lol.

The style of filming, the alien/non human bit. The rawness of it, the freshness of it. The not so known actors. The hanging ending. . .
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 6:04pm On Sep 11, 2009
iice.
u.like.Brokeback.Mountain.and.Milk?. Chai.!.
No.doubt. .they.were.beautiful.movies. .but.not.in.my.terms.great.
And.those.boys.at.the.oscars.love.such.movies. .

District.9.is.sooo.fresh.
As.I.watched. .it.wasnt.like.anything.I've.seen.before. It.was.real . It.was.pure. It.was.new.!
Like.I.kept.shouting.to.my.friends.yesterday. .the.alien/human.role.reversal.really.thrilled.me. The.aliens.were@the.mercy.of.the.humans.

The.whole.documentary.thingy.is.soo.delicate.that.it.could.either.make.the.movie.or.kill.it.
But.the.gamble.paid.off. .

And.I.loved.the.end.  An.alien.making.a.flower.from.rubbish. .! Mint!.

I.think.i'll.change.my.rating.from.90.to.95. For.brevity.!

@next.review
Matrix.next? Everyone.agrees?
Re: The Movie Club by MadMax1(f): 10:34pm On Sep 11, 2009
JS I don't know what is to be done with you. You want to give Legally Blonde five stars but think Brokeback is so-so? Ang Lee I rate higher than Quentin Tarantino, and I love QT. Every time I watch it I am blown away by Ledger, I mourn him deeply for the actor he might have been. What a terrible, stupid, meaningless death. Brokeback so-so? Unbelievable. Ang Lee knows how to tell a story of few words; he uses music, he uses emotions, he knows grand, sweeping, talking vistas; he leaves space for you to become a part of whatever magic he's weaving. Apart from Minghella's English Patient, I don't know a director who can tell a love story better. Brokeback made me cry, as did Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. You don't have to like them. There's always Norbit. tongue
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 12:32am On Sep 12, 2009
There's.always.Norbit. . Lmao. .
Re: The Movie Club by MadMax1(f): 1:02am On Sep 12, 2009
I'm teasing. And you can talk? Brokeback hater. If it is 'Obssessed' now you will see him there.
Re: The Movie Club by vescucci(m): 1:34am On Sep 12, 2009
I can't sleep. But you guys are night prowlers. I think people confuse not liking a story with not liking the way it's told. You only need to think the many synopses you've read and were wondering how on earth a director would make it spin.Think of films like Memento, Fight club and Castaway to get my meaning. The point is, great directing and great acting can make a seemingly stupid and unbelievable story really cool. Shoddy acting and directing can ruin a great story. Where I'm leading to is Ang Lee's Brokeback Mountain. I like Lee for three reasons: his unassuming first steps, his later found width and his depth. He's really an american story. Anyways, Lee is one of a few that makes his movies seem like paintings. I frankly don't like too much talking in my movies. My favorites are oldies, onir and minimalist films. That way I can concentrate on the things that really matter, like the story. I'm homophobic. I'm the way I am. I won't apologise. But gay people in my opinion were made that way too. No conscious decision goes into it he you ask me. In that light, Brokeback Mountain haters should enjoy the storytelling even if they can't stomach the story. Just like a nazi might enjoy Schindler's list and we all enjoy District 9.
Re: The Movie Club by MadMax1(f): 1:49am On Sep 12, 2009
Lee's amazing. But didn't you want to kick his ass with Hulk? Not his material. Lol they're free to hate Brokeback. We've different tastes. I'm just half-teasing and half-exasperated. It's such an amazing movie and this is the first time I'll hear it being called so-so. The performances alone-! But your point's taken.
Re: The Movie Club by JeSoul(f): 5:12am On Sep 12, 2009
Max soften that movie heart girl . . . Legally Blonde may not be anything close to oscar material but it was hella funny!  cheesy thoroughly entertaining.
Regardless of how convincing the acting may have been in Brokeback, the very foundation on which the storyline is built is one of sand . . . so in my humblest of opinions it cannot stand. Or maybe its becos it was a 'love story' . . . I've already said 'love stories' just don't do much for me . . . they never have and never will.

Look at Vesc spitting cinematic theology and philosophy lol. I feel you brother . . . I on the other hand prefer more dialogue in my movies. I get the whole 'get in the painting' 'fill in the blanks' 'carried by emotion not talking' type of pictures, but  undecided   different strokes for different folks. You really hit the nail on the head though . . . I didn't fancy Memento or Fightclub much either - I guess we see a pattern forming here  cool

and I'll probably get ripped for this one but whatever, I was severely upset at the critically acclaimed "There will be blood" *rolls her eyes* warreva mayne. I feel like sometimes hollywood tells us a movie is great, it is hyped, packaged and delivered as great, shoved down our throats as great - but in reality it just honestly and truthfully isn't.
Re: The Movie Club by JeSoul(f): 5:14am On Sep 12, 2009
Oga JK,
Matrix is fine with moi . . . though it seems we're already reviewing Brokeback Mountain.
Re: The Movie Club by vescucci(m): 10:35am On Sep 12, 2009
I really don't know why Ang Lee went for Hulk. I've never liked or considered Hulk as a superhero so I may be biased for not liking the movie much. But that's what I meant by his width sha. Most directors have comfort zones. One wonders what Lee's is. JeSoul makes me out as a academy ass kisser. I hate their guts. I think there's too much politicking going on behind the scenes but they get things right more often than not though. I like great dialogue. I like great innuendoes more. The films that stick with me don't have too much talk. Take the matrix for example. On the surface, great dialogue but I actually feel like slapping people when they talk. It's as if everyone was an old english professor. The only real reason I loved that film so much was Hugo Weaving. Phenomenal that guy. So much so that I like V for Vendetta (my favorite dialogue) cuz of this guy. He didn't feature enough to steal the show in LOTR. Max, I want a list of films that made you cry. I wanna compare with my own. I no dey cry again o. Na when I dey small and impressionable I dey cry. I've since grown a cynical beard and a distrusting heart. I kid. I wailed while watching Little Princess. Bawled and sobbed and sniffed and wept and cried. I'll seek it out to see again. That way I'll know how far gone I am. Daniel Day is upset that you took a project he literally adjusted his life to carry out with levity, JeSoul. Honestly, that guy alone can carry any movie. What a guy. He belongs to the age of the greats gone by.
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 10:57am On Sep 12, 2009
Nice. .nice. .
Now.we've.reviewed.Brokeback.Mountain. .lol.and. Memento. .?

Vesc. .
I.totally.get.your.point.bout.little.dialogue.and.stuff.but.I.think.I'll.rest.with.JeSoul. Great.dialogue.thrills.me. Its.the.art.in.the.movie.itself. .
A.quick.question. Have.you.seen.'A.Few.Good.Men'? What.you.think.about.the.movie.would.say.alot.

Or.maybe.we.shld.all.list.our.personal.top.ten.movies. The.list.should.be.solely.based.on.ur.taste. . Not.Oscar.induced.

@topic.
I.think.we're.doin.fine.sef.discussing.generally. .lol
But.'The.Matrix.Trilogy'.is.up.next.for.review.
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 12:20pm On Sep 12, 2009
District.9.Review.Summary

Average.Rating.-75.5% (from.7.reviews)

General.Comment.- beautiful movie. well.crafted.and.bold.in.its.delivery.
But.if.you.can't.see.the.movie.for.what.it.is.alone. . then.the.Nigerian.part.mite.annoy.you. But.it.shouldnt.if.you.'really'.watched.the.movie.

Recommendation. Must.watch.

Next.on.Review. .
The.Matrix.Trilogy.
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 12:32pm On Sep 12, 2009
The.Matrix.Trilogy.
-The.Matrix
-Matrix.Reloaded
-Matrix.Revolution

Director
The.Wachowski.Brothers

Producer
The.Wachowski.Brothers
Joel.Silver

Written.by
The.Wachowski.Brothers

Starring
Keanu.Reeves
Laurence.Fishburne
Carrie-Anne.Moss
Hugo.Weaving.

Re: The Movie Club by vescucci(m): 2:17pm On Sep 12, 2009
Hehe. Putting out the feelers and probes, are we? It's funny you picked that film cuz it was my favorite film for two years. Then the ladykillers, then V for Vendetta etc. I think I might be misunderstood. Sure I love good dialogue but the films that stay with me don't talk talk talk. Have you seen Wall-E? Or A.I.? Or Rashomon. So we can begin dissecting the matrix trilogy. I'll go first. At each installment in turn. Hang on to your hats, lol.

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (96) (Reply)

NTA Cartoons and programmes Of The 70s, 80s And 90s / Photo Of Thin Tall Tony And Family / You're A Legend And Not Getting Any Younger If You Know These Movie Scenes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.