Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,615 members, 7,809,250 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:44 AM

Champions League: Can Barca Prevent Another All-English Final? - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Champions League: Can Barca Prevent Another All-English Final? (8877 Views)

Barca Needs To Buy Psg's Thiago Silva / Must Barca Cheat To Win! / El Clasico: Real Madrid Vs Barca [0 - 2] on Sat, 10th April (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Champions League: Can Barca Prevent Another All-English Final? by A40(m): 5:28pm On Apr 21, 2009
Krayola:

I'm a die-hard Barcelona fan and a big-time Arsenal admirer but i like to believe i'm unbiased in my assessment. When you look at the major signings the English teams have made in recent seasons you will see they are going after La-Liga players like no man's business,  Liverpool signed Torres from Atletico Madrid (now a liverpool idol), Chelsea signed Deco and Belletti (2 barcelona rejects), Tottenham tried to steal another Barca kid and it flopped, Dos Santos (can't stop laughing at that stupid kid and his greedy agent), See Arteta in everton, Fabregas was a Barca kid,  I can go on and on.  The top-top talent all come from outside England, it is the money that draws the players to england and not the level of football.

Are you trying to be funny or did you simply not do your homework before typing this? Like WTF?  

The La Liga is the biggest stalker of Premiership talents

Freddie Kanoute
Robert Pires
Pascal Cygan
Giuseppe Rossi
Michael Owen
Ruud Van Nistelrooy
Thierry Henry
Alexander Hleb
Lassana Diarra
Gabriel Heinze

I can even go as far back as Steve Mcmanaman and lets not forget Real Madrid's insatiable lust for Cristiano Ronaldo

Heck i can build a squad of players which the La Liga have poached from the Prem so you see your argument is rather biased and pointless
Re: Champions League: Can Barca Prevent Another All-English Final? by honeric01(m): 6:24pm On Apr 21, 2009
~Sauron~:

Sarcasm is calling me a blind, deaf and dumb man??
Do u even know the meaning of being sarcastic??

If i don't know the meaning, i wouldnt have told you "I have repented from insulting NL members" before typing what i typed.

Now you are showing the maturity i expect from you. . . .

The ban resulted from the disaster in Heysel stadium in 1985 European cup final.
Liverpool fans attacked Juventus fans and a wall crashed on fans killing 39 people and injuring more than 500 other fans.
UEFA banned English clubs for 5 years and that had a remarkable effect on English football.

Before the ban, English clubs were dominant in Europe.
They won a massive 6 European cups between 1977 and 1982 and won it again in 1984.
Since the ban ended, English clubs have won it only 3 times in 1990.
In the period between 1991-1996, no English champion made the K.O rounds of the Champions League.

Uhm, well so?? as the "founder" of football, they should not use that one as excuse. they should be winning almost all year round, why do they have to be tieing with these leagues you think are weaker compared to EPL
Re: Champions League: Can Barca Prevent Another All-English Final? by Krayola(m): 6:52pm On Apr 21, 2009
@A-40
What La liga is is a stalker of cheap talent,  Besides Barca, Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid, Spanish clubs don't have a lot of money. they rely mostly on home grown talent and promising south American talent.

Note,  4 of the players you list were Arsenal players, and 2 man utd (the only 2 teams that play good attacking football, just like La Liga) . 2 of them were on their way out since they were not wanted at Arsenal (Cygan and Pires). They were at the latter end of their careers and were purchased for cheap for an up and coming Spanish club. This whole "poaching talent" thing you are pulling does not apply.

Henry and Ruud were sold when they were considered old and used up,  Ruud had issues with fergie, and Henry wanted a real shot at the CL. Henry was more a way to appease Barca fans after a terrible season than a priority signing. Barca fans are happy to have him, but our president was just trying to be reelected. same with cristiano Ronaldo,  these are top players that any team would love to have, and Barca and Madrid are notorious for promising to sign the sun and the stars when election time is near.

Freddie Kanoute was shite when he played in England. He was a revelation at Sevilla. These smaller Spanish clubs don't have money to pay big for players,  they are bargain hunters. English teams come to Spain to pay top dollar for the young talent with really bright futures.

Lassana Diarra was club hopping and it's kinda laughable that u wanna claim him to be EPL material,  the guy was on the bench for most of his stay in England and left out of frustration,  Last time i checked he was purchased from some French team. England has money,  of course thay have lots of talent,  Spanish teams go for the ones that don't fit in and can be scooped up for cheap.

And what my post was trying to do was to illustrate the type of talent that is rampant is Spain and how much money English teams are willing to pay, and not so much to show that Spanish teams don't sign players from england. That would be a foolish thing to say. Spain is full of young technically gifted players,  destination of choice for top south American talent. Teams in England come and scoop up the ones that prove that they have what it takes, just because they have more money.

Spanish football has a lot of flair, is very competitive and a lot of fun to watch. The fact that Barca scores a shitload of goals does not mean the competition is weak,  its just the way we play,  if we score early its usually a total ass-whooping,  because teams have to attack in search of an equalizer and then we just shit all over them. When games drag on and we don't score we always struggle to be as dominant for the latter end of the game. Which is why I said as long as we score early against Chelsea we will be fine. I have a lot of respect for the top 4 in England, but I firmly believe the mid/Lower-table teams in La- Liga will run circles around their EPL counterparts.

AND I'VE BEEN ASKING FOR 2 BLOODY DAYS AND NO ONE ANSWERS,  HOW THE HELL DO I QUOTE SOMEONE ELSE'S POST!!??  smiley
Re: Champions League: Can Barca Prevent Another All-English Final? by eyonigger(m): 11:38pm On Apr 21, 2009
honerico u dnt have to arrange shyt for retards 2 grab. its a pur waste of tym.
@krayola, to quote someonez post, click on reply first, then scroll down to see the msg u want to quote, u'll see quote icon by the right hand side, click and wait for the pop up window to load in the message field then type under.
Re: Champions League: Can Barca Prevent Another All-English Final? by A40(m): 12:09am On Apr 22, 2009
Krayola:

@A-40
What La liga is is a stalker of cheap talent,  Besides Barca, Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid, Spanish clubs don't have a lot of money. they rely mostly on home grown talent and promising south American talent.

Note,  4 of the players you list were Arsenal players, and 2 man utd (the only 2 teams that play good attacking football, just like La Liga) . 2 of them were on their way out since they were not wanted at Arsenal (Cygan and Pires). They were at the latter end of their careers and were purchased for cheap for an up and coming Spanish club. This whole "poaching talent" thing you are pulling does not apply.

Henry and Ruud were sold when they were considered old and used up,  Ruud had issues with fergie, and Henry wanted a real shot at the CL. Henry was more a way to appease Barca fans after a terrible season than a priority signing. Barca fans are happy to have him, but our president was just trying to be reelected. same with cristiano Ronaldo,  these are top players that any team would love to have, and Barca and Madrid are notorious for promising to sign the sun and the stars when election time is near.

Freddie Kanoute was shite when he played in England. He was a revelation at Sevilla. These smaller Spanish clubs don't have money to pay big for players,  they are bargain hunters. English teams come to Spain to pay top dollar for the young talent with really bright futures.

Lassana Diarra was club hopping and it's kinda laughable that u wanna claim him to be EPL material,  the guy was on the bench for most of his stay in England and left out of frustration,  Last time i checked he was purchased from some French team. England has money,  of course thay have lots of talent,  Spanish teams go for the ones that don't fit in and can be scooped up for cheap.

And what my post was trying to do was to illustrate the type of talent that is rampant is Spain and how much money English teams are willing to pay, and not so much to show that Spanish teams don't sign players from england. That would be a foolish thing to say. Spain is full of young technically gifted players,  destination of choice for top south American talent. Teams in England come and scoop up the ones that prove that they have what it takes, just because they have more money.

Spanish football has a lot of flair, is very competitive and a lot of fun to watch. The fact that Barca scores a shitload of goals does not mean the competition is weak,  its just the way we play,  if we score early its usually a total ass-whooping,  because teams have to attack in search of an equalizer and then we just shit all over them. When games drag on and we don't score we always struggle to be as dominant for the latter end of the game. Which is why I said as long as we score early against Chelsea we will be fine. I have a lot of respect for the top 4 in England, but I firmly believe the mid/Lower-table teams in La- Liga will run circles around their EPL counterparts.

AND I'VE BEEN ASKING FOR 2 BLOODY DAYS AND NO ONE ANSWERS,  HOW THE HELL DO I QUOTE SOMEONE ELSE'S POST!!??  smiley
You didn't have to type an epistle!! you made a point and i countered it you claimed the Premiership is chasing La Liga players like no man's business and i prove to you that the reverse is the case so what are you on about? Of course most teams have a mix of talented players but you make it sound like 90% of the big 4 teams in the EPL get their players from Spain
Re: Champions League: Can Barca Prevent Another All-English Final? by dayokanu(m): 1:31am On Apr 22, 2009
A40,

I would like to know why the strongest EPL representatives were bundled out unceremoniously in the UEFA cup.

Hamburg humbled Aston Villa
Wolfsburg eliminated Portsmouth
Hamburg eliminated Man City

Man City beat Schalke too

Can you explain this cos they do not support EPl is the strongest league argument
Re: Champions League: Can Barca Prevent Another All-English Final? by Krayola(m): 3:08am On Apr 22, 2009
@ A-40,  because u are equating signing players at the end of their careers with signing top young talent with their careers ahead of them. Besides Barca and Madrid, when the other Spanish clubs sign players from england they sign players that are going for cheap,  either players with unrealized potential eg Kanoute, or players whose careers are winding down. Just in the last two or 3 seasons,  manchester city signed Robinho (24 yrs old),. Liverpool signed Torres(24), Arsenal got Vela (20), Tottenham got Giovanni dos santos (20), Everton signed Arteta (24),  these are young talented players with their whole careers ahead of them. besides Vela non of these players cost peanuts. You are trying to equate these with the purchase of a 28 year old under-achieving Kanoute, and Cygan and Pires that are in their thirties. You didn't counter my argument,  You pulled that 90% figure out your ass because i made no such claim. I said EPL teams are scooping up La liga talent like no man's business and you list a bunch of oldies at the end of their careers and a player that hardly ever played in the EPL. Besides Hleb, no player on your list fits the bill. ciao.
Re: Champions League: Can Barca Prevent Another All-English Final? by Krayola(m): 3:27am On Apr 22, 2009
@ dayoKanu,  exactly,  and this is not just this year,  go back a few years and u'll see that EPL teams get their asses handed to them in the UEFA cup. 3 seasons ago middlesborough pulled off some spectacular comebacks and made it to the finals only to have Sevilla give them  a serious ass-whooping.

Most EPL fans that spew that "EPL is the best league" just don't know any better. All they watch is the EPL and they just don't know what the are commenting about. I don't understand how anyone can watch mid/lower EPL teams play football and think they are watching quality football.  The EPL is a competitive league, with great culture, and great fans that support their teams well, something other leagues can not boast about. But when it comes to the quality of football played week in and week out across the board, they ain't got shit on the other big leagues. Thats just matter of fact.
Re: Champions League: Can Barca Prevent Another All-English Final? by honeric01(m): 11:30am On Apr 22, 2009
eyonigger:

honerico u dnt have to arrange shyt for retards 2 grab. its a pur waste of tym.
@krayola, to quote someonez post, click on reply first, then scroll down to see the msg u want to quote, u'll see quote icon by the right hand side, click and wait for the pop up window to load in the message field then type under.

Thank you o jare,

Imagine the league someone claimed to be the best league when it comes to defending conceding cheap goals 4:4 in one match? 8 goals? what kinda shitty defence is that? the last time it was 8 goals, yesterday was another 8 games,

I just dont want to keep hearing that shitty statement that la liga teams don't have good defence. angry
Re: Champions League: Can Barca Prevent Another All-English Final? by nonsomega(m): 11:43am On Apr 22, 2009
We neva can tell, its a football game anything is posible.who wuld've blived these 3 quater final matches if predicted before the match kick-off Chelsea v Liverpool 2nd leg which yielded 8 goals,Arsenal v Villareal 2nd leg which ended 3-0 in favour of arsenal, Man Utd v Porto after what happened at Old trafford. Barca has played wel this season likewise d other 3 teams if nt in the EPL bt 4 the fact that they made it 2 the semi's of d league they've done well. So Bleep all the post dat have been posted about Barca trashing Chelsea. Am an Arsenal fan but i can't tip d gunners 2 win against Man Utd H or A just because am a gunner.Its football and anything is posible Let's watchout d teams 4 d final on may 27 @ Rome and d team 4 d trophy.Shoutout 2 d fans of d remainin 4 teams.
Re: Champions League: Can Barca Prevent Another All-English Final? by A40(m): 12:19pm On Apr 22, 2009
@Krayola
You are a clown that should be locked in a circus for real.First and Foremost Carlos Vela has always been an Arsenal player he was loaned to Osasuna because he couldn't get his work permit! always do your research before arguing it makes you look smarter
If u where talking about strictly young talent then why did you mention Deco and Belleti in your initial argument?I can also tell u Robinho wanted out from Madrid and besides some of these young talents e.g Arteta,Cesc that where bought for peanuts may not have made it if they stayed in Spain!
@dayokanu
I will answer your question when you tell me why we have had at least one EPL representative in the last 4 UCL Finals why we are having 3 semi finalists from the EPL for the 3rd straight year and Uefa knows it can be 4 and thats why they pair two english teams in the quarters to avoid that scenario.Please tell me why all 3 teams from the Serie A where bundled out by EPL teams mind you two where bundled out last year also tell me why the Spanish Champions lost 0-5 on aggregate to a team that finished 4th in the EPL if u can answer all these questions then i'll answer yours
Re: Champions League: Can Barca Prevent Another All-English Final? by dayokanu(m): 1:32pm On Apr 22, 2009
@dayokanu
I will answer your question when you tell me why we have had at least one EPL representative in the last 4 UCL Finals why we are having 3 semi finalists from the EPL for the 3rd straight year and Uefa knows it can be 4 and thats why they pair two english teams in the quarters to avoid that scenario.Please tell me why all 3 teams from the Serie A where bundled out by EPL teams mind you two where bundled out last year also tell me why the Spanish Champions lost 0-5 on aggregate to a team that finished 4th in the EPL if u can answer all these questions then i'll answer yours

Reason is that the same team represent the EPL everytime. So these 4 teams have built a pedigree in the tournament. That others cant . Imagine a team like Arsenal has not missed the CL in many years. while teams like AC Milan, Barcelona, Bayern, Inter, Juventus and other giants who have won trophies have missed.
If a team comes every year they would build a pedigree and perform better.

Any idiot can predict the EPL representative for the next many years the same for the last seasons.

Now back to my questions.
Re: Champions League: Can Barca Prevent Another All-English Final? by Sauron1: 1:52pm On Apr 22, 2009
dayokanu:

Reason is that the same team represent the EPL everytime. So these 4 teams have built a pedigree in the tournament. That others cant . Imagine a team like Arsenal has not missed the CL in many years. while teams like AC Milan, Barcelona, Bayern, Inter, Juventus and other giants who have won trophies have missed. If a team comes every year they would build a pedigree and perform better.

Rubbish talks.
Celtic, Porto, PSV, Lyon and Olympiacos always seem to qualify in the UCL. . . . . . .How many times have they played in the Semis/Final??

Any idiot can predict the EPL representative for the next many years the same for the last seasons.

When will u stop viewing issues with your rose-tinted glasses??
If European giants like Real Madrid, Inter, Lyon, Roma, Celtic, Barcelona fail against England's TOP FOUR, do u really expect the likes of Everton, Portsmouth, Man City or Villa to stop them in the domestic league??
The best 4 teams in England are the best 4 in Europe so they will always qualify for the Champions League.
Always!!!
Re: Champions League: Can Barca Prevent Another All-English Final? by dayokanu(m): 2:11pm On Apr 22, 2009
Rubbish talks.
Celtic, Porto, PSV, Lyon and Olympiacos always seem to qualify in the UCL. . . . . . .How many times have they played in the Semis/Final??

I thought you would be reasonable enough to bring reps from a top rated league.

If European giants like Real Madrid, Inter, Lyon, Roma, Celtic, Barcelona fail against England's TOP FOUR, do u really expect the likes of Everton, Portsmouth, Man City or Villa to stop them in the domestic league??
The best 4 teams in England are the best 4 in Europe so they will always qualify for the Champions League.
Always!!!

If AC Milan could dominate CL like the did in the past 6 years and were not able to win more than 1 scuddeto.

That must mean while they are blitzkrieging CL, guys at the home front were standing up to them.
Re: Champions League: Can Barca Prevent Another All-English Final? by Sauron1: 2:27pm On Apr 22, 2009
dayokanu:

I thought you would be reasonable enough to bring reps from a top rated league.

Top-rated league u say?? What has that gotta do with anything??
Your claim was playing in the CL every season tends to build a pedigree and i have shown u teams who always qualify but have been shyte.

If AC Milan could dominate CL like the did in the past 6 years and were not able to win more than 1 scuddeto.
That must mean while they are blitzkrieging CL, guys at the home front were standing up to them.

It's a lie. . . . . . . .It is because AC Milan don't give Serie A any priority unlike English clubs who would rather win the league than the UCL.
Man Utd fans will rather win the Premiership than the CL. . . . . .same goes for Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal.
AC Milan put out weak players in the league and go for the CL. . . . . .U will never catch Man Utd or any of the top 4 doing that.
The Premiership is their first priority.
Re: Champions League: Can Barca Prevent Another All-English Final? by honeric01(m): 2:48pm On Apr 22, 2009
~Sauron~:

Rubbish talks.

As small as some of these clubs are to you, at least Porto won the UCL twice, PSV once, Celtic Ones. they don't come all the time, but when it's their time, they make wave. How many times has chelsea and Arsenal been coming to the UCL, what do they have to show for all these registers they keep marking?

EPl is gradually turning to a monopoly for these 4 teams.

Last 2 seasons ago, Barcelona almost didn't qualify for the UCL, the TOP 4 teams from La liga changes most of the time.

Seria A always get new faces coming to represent them at the UCL

And also other leagues, but this can't be said of the EPL, that's my problem with the EPL, when Platini wanted to trim down the money being put into buying of players, most of the top 4 in EPL started crying foul, even the 6+5 rule is scaring the shit out of them.

Always!!!

I think your above statement is very wrong. So because Real Madrid, inter, lyon, roma, celtic and barcelona has at one or two times lost to the Top 4 in the EPL, does that make them unbeatable in their EPL? when the likes of Ac milan, Barcelona, inter, roma, lyon, Real madrid and co were beating the EPL top 4, did that stop smaller teams from their various leagues from beating them

And because they always qualify almost for 15 years now against toothless clubs from the EPL, that makes them the best 4 in Europe? How did you come up with that rating

FOR THE FACT THAT THESE 4 CLUBS FROM THE EPL COME EVERY YEAR SHOULD HAVE GIVEN THEM THE UPPER HAND TO ALWAYS WIN THE UCL AMONG THEMSELVES, YET ONLY 2 OF THEM HAVE BEEN ABLE TO DO THIS. ESPECIALLY LIVERPOOL EVEN WITH THEIR UGLY STYLE OF PLAY.

Chelsea and Arsenal are just coming to the UCL to mark register just like any other lesser clubs from other leagues with no trophy to show. grin grin
Re: Champions League: Can Barca Prevent Another All-English Final? by honeric01(m): 3:04pm On Apr 22, 2009
~Sauron~:

Top-rated league u say?? What has that gotta do with anything??
Your claim was playing in the CL every season tends to build a pedigree and i have shown u teams who always qualify but have been shyte.

It's a lie. . . . . . . .It is because AC Milan don't give Serie A any priority unlike English clubs who would rather win the league than the UCL.
Man Utd fans will rather win the Premiership than the CL. . . . . .same goes for Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal.
AC Milan put out weak players in the league and go for the CL. . . . . .U will never catch Man Utd or any of the top 4 doing that.
The Premiership is their first priority.

As shyte as you may think Porto, Celtel, PSV are, they still have champions league trophy to show their strenght. tell me, what has 2 out of EPL top 4 has to show their constant apperance in the UCL?

When you said AC milan and their like don't care about the sudetto, that is A BLOODY lie, They care alot about it, that's why some of them had to bribe and cheat their way just to get the Sudetto.

And you saying they don't play their top players in the league is another BIG LIE, i am not blind, i watch seria A, i have never seen where these teams would play their 2nd eleven except in the case of injury, pick another excuse.
Re: Champions League: Can Barca Prevent Another All-English Final? by Krayola(m): 3:05pm On Apr 22, 2009
@ A-40
Vela had played 2.5 seasons in spain, he even played in the 2nd division. I'll concede the point. I knew he was on loan to Osasuna but i honestly was not aware that he was already an Arsenal player for the preceding  season and a half he spent in Spain. that was my error. I don't claim to be a final authority on everything. I'm not sure about you but the whole point of engaging in debates like this is both to share knowledge, and to learn. No one knows everything and i do not go on wikipedia to double check everything I post. I watch a lot of football and i know a fair bit, but apparently not everything. Please take it easy with the insults,  I think we can have a good debate without acting like children. I'm not interested in throwing insults back and forth. 

Now Besides David Beckham, mention 3 English players that play 1st division football in Spain, Italy or Portugal. I'm not sure about Germany, but I doubt there are more than 2 or 3 that play there. Now count how many spanish players are in just England alone, then count how many south americans that have ended up in England via spain or even Italy. I really do not believe I have to go through this just to make you realize the obvious.

I mentioned Belletti and Deco in my original post because then I was trying to articulate the general trend i described above and not to compare how many players have moved from what league to what on a strictly numerical basis as u are doing ("well, since 5 players went from england to spain and 5 went from spain to England, then its just the same thing"). Until you joined the debate I didn't have to point out the different scenarios.

Besides the likes of Joe Cole, SWP, Lennon, and a few others, English players have average to poor technique. The only country where that is not a prerequisite for being a "top-level" footballer is in England.  The mid-lower table teams in EPL have too many English players and when they meet teams that have superior technical ability they get their asses handed to them. Football has evolved over the last decade and a half and England has slept on teaching their kids how to do anything besides sliding tackles, crossing, heading.
Re: Champions League: Can Barca Prevent Another All-English Final? by Sauron1: 3:20pm On Apr 22, 2009
honeric01:

As shyte as you may think Porto, Celtel, PSV are, they still have champions league trophy to show their strenght. tell me, what has 2 out of EPL top 4 has to show their constant apperance in the UCL?

Celtic and PSV have not won theChampions League trophy. They won the old European cup.
There's a difference between the 2.

When you said AC milan and their like don't care about the sudetto, that is A BLOODY lie, They care alot about it, that's why some of them had to bribe and cheat their way just to get the Sudetto.

AC Milan don't care about the Serie A. They can't be bothered.
They always seem to sacrifice the Serie A for a good run in the Champions League unlike EPL teams.
For instance, Arsenal had nothing to prove against Liverpool last night. Their 4th place is guaranteed but they still felt the need to push Liverpool all the way and that is the English spirit. AC Milan in their shoes woulda fielded a weak team hoping to start the big guns in their next Champions League match.

EPL fans believe the Premiership is a bigger cake than the Champions League.

And you saying they don't play their top players in the league is another BIG LIE, i am not blind, i watch seria A, i have never seen where these teams would play their 2nd eleven except in the case of injury, pick another excuse.

U need to reboot your retentive memory.
The weekend before Man Utd's 2nd leg game against AC Milan in 2006/7??
Kindly supply the team lists of both teams and let us discuss. tongue
Re: Champions League: Can Barca Prevent Another All-English Final? by Krayola(m): 3:23pm On Apr 22, 2009
@ Sauron, please , how do u quote other people's posts?
Re: Champions League: Can Barca Prevent Another All-English Final? by Sauron1: 3:24pm On Apr 22, 2009
Krayola:

@ Sauron,  please , how do u quote other people's posts?

Click reply button, scroll down and look for the post you wanna quote.
Click on the insert quote link and wait for it to load.
Re: Champions League: Can Barca Prevent Another All-English Final? by Krayola(m): 3:26pm On Apr 22, 2009
~Sauron~:

Click reply button, scroll down and look for the post you wanna quote.
Click on the insert quote button and wait for it to load.

merci beaucoup, my broda smiley
Re: Champions League: Can Barca Prevent Another All-English Final? by Cristalz(f): 3:28pm On Apr 22, 2009
Brief interruption.  .  .

I'm asking all of you involved in posting on this thread to refrain from personal insults. Stem your testosterone levels and be civil. Next time I won't be so nice grin
Re: Champions League: Can Barca Prevent Another All-English Final? by switch47(m): 3:54pm On Apr 22, 2009
Cristalz:

Brief interruption. . .

I'm asking all of you involved in posting on this thread to refrain from personal insults. Stem your testosterone levels and be civil. [b]Next time I won't be so nice[/b] grin
wetin? na now una wan start------no be everyday/every thread thing?? grin grin UNA RULES NA LIKE COMEDY!!
Re: Champions League: Can Barca Prevent Another All-English Final? by winnag: 4:08pm On Apr 22, 2009
nonsomega:

We neva can tell, its a football game anything is posible.who wuld've blived these 3 quater final matches if predicted before the match kick-off Chelsea v Liverpool 2nd leg which yielded 8 goals,Arsenal v Villareal 2nd leg which ended 3-0 in favour of arsenal, Man Utd v Porto after what happened at Old trafford. Barca has played wel this season likewise d other 3 teams if nt in the EPL bt 4 the fact that they made it 2 the semi's of d league they've done well. So mess all the post dat have been posted about Barca trashing Chelsea. Am an Arsenal fan but i can't tip d gunners 2 win against Man Utd H or A just because am a gunner.Its football and anything is posible Let's watchout d teams 4 d final on may 27 @ Rome and d team 4 d trophy.Shoutout 2 d fans of d remainin 4 teams.

Good talk.
Re: Champions League: Can Barca Prevent Another All-English Final? by deb(m): 4:47pm On Apr 22, 2009
I'll call this the battle of the Titans. Can Barca stop an all English final? Honestly I don't know what to say.
I'm so scared of that boy called Messi he is too merciless
Re: Champions League: Can Barca Prevent Another All-English Final? by tallrock(m): 4:54pm On Apr 22, 2009
deb:

I'll call this the battle of the Titans. Can Barca stop an all English final? Honestly I don't know what to say.
I'm so scared of that boy called Messi he is too merciless
Enough of this Messi of a thing! Let wait till next week and see what will happen.
Re: Champions League: Can Barca Prevent Another All-English Final? by honeric01(m): 5:21pm On Apr 22, 2009
Quote from Sauron
Celtic and PSV have not won theChampions League trophy. They won the old European cup.
There's a difference between the 2.

Old European cup is equivalent to the new one, don't discredit it just because you want to prove a point, IT IS STILL COUNTED AS THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE. CELTIC BEAT INTERMILAN 2:1 IN LISBON TO WIN THEIR FIRST EVER UCL IN 1967
PSV BEAT BENFICA ON PENALTIES IN 1988 TO WIN THEIRS TOO. if you want to claim that it wasn't a champions league trophy, then how many champions league trophy would you count for the likes of Milan, Madrid, Liverpool and co?

Quote from Sauron
AC Milan don't care about the Serie A. They can't be bothered.
They always seem to sacrifice the Serie A for a good run in the Champions League unlike EPL teams.
For instance, Arsenal had nothing to prove against Liverpool last night. Their 4th place is guaranteed but they still felt the need to push Liverpool all the way and that is the English spirit. AC Milan in their shoes woulda fielded a weak team hoping to start the big guns in their next Champions League match.

EPL fans believe the Premiership is a bigger cake than the Champions League.

STOP BEING sentimental just because you are defending the EPL, you are assuming that they don't regard the sudetto just because you want to force your points? you go out of your way to desperately get what you see as important to you right? what would make someone bribe and
cheat to get something?

Quote from Sauron
U need to reboot your retentive memory.
The weekend before Man Utd's 2nd leg game against AC Milan in 2006/7??
Kindly supply the team lists of both teams and let us discuss. Tongue

Sauron, can you please respect yourself by not trying to insult me?
I don't need to provide any list because of one game. so you are using one game between 2 clubs to generalize a WHOLE LEAGUE?
Re: Champions League: Can Barca Prevent Another All-English Final? by Sauron1: 5:45pm On Apr 22, 2009
honeric01:

Old European cup is equivalent to the new one, don't discredit it just because you want to prove a point, IT IS STILL COUNTED AS THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE. CELTIC BEAT INTERMILAN 2:1 IN LISBON TO WIN THEIR FIRST EVER UCL IN 1967
PSV BEAT BENFICA ON PENALTIES IN 1988 TO WIN THEIRS TOO. if you want to claim that it wasn't a champions league trophy, then how many champions league trophy would you count for the likes of Milan, Madrid, Liverpool and co?

Honeric01, The format was different.
Before 92/93, it used to be knock-out from the onset.
No group stages, nada. A team caught at a bad time due to injuries/suspension get knocked out regardless of their ability.

STOP BEING sentimental just because you are defending the EPL, you are assuming that they don't regard the sudetto just because you want to force your points? you go out of your way to desperately get what you see as important to you right? what would make someone bribe and
cheat to get something?

They bribe because their society is corrupt.
Jeeez, they also bribe not to lose their fans' respect and credibility.

Sauron, can you please respect yourself by not trying to insult me?
I don't need to provide any list because of one game. so you are using one game between 2 clubs to generalize a WHOLE LEAGUE?

I did not insult you.
Ma insults are venomous than that. tongue tongue

Okay, okay. . . . . . .i wanna end this debate.
Serie A is the strongest league in the world. English league is all hype.
Italians are just allowing English clubs to rule and the previous performance from the English league in Europe is all fluke.
Juventus and Inter were robbed. They shoulda been in the Semis.
Zlatan Ibrahimovic is better than Messi and Ranieri is the best manager in Europe and George Bush is from Owerri.

Happy now??
Re: Champions League: Can Barca Prevent Another All-English Final? by switch47(m): 6:07pm On Apr 22, 2009
FIXTURES

Chelsea - Everton 22/04/2009
West Ham - Chelsea 25/04/2009
Barcelona - Chelsea 28/04/2009
Chelsea - Fulham 02/05/2009
Chelsea - Barcelona 06/05/2009
Arsenal - Chelsea 09/05/2009

Chelsea - Blackburn 16/05/2009
Sunderland - Chelsea 24/05/2009

Chelsea - Everton FA cup

THE GAMES IN RED WILL BE A BAD RUN FOR CHELSEA!! WATCH OUT!! cool cool I said-----did i get it wrong?? lets wait and see------OH they almost got to the promised land but the BLIP will come and they (Chelsea) will end up with NOTHING!!
Re: Champions League: Can Barca Prevent Another All-English Final? by honeric01(m): 6:11pm On Apr 22, 2009
~Sauron~:

Honeric01, The format was different.
Before 92/93, it used to be knock-out from the onset.
No group stages, nada. A team caught at a bad time due to injuries/suspension get knocked out regardless of their ability.

They bribe because their society is corrupt.
Jeeez, they also bribe not to lose their fans' respect and credibility.

I did not insult you.
Ma insults are venomous than that. tongue tongue

Okay, okay. . . . . . .i wanna end this debate.
Serie A is the strongest league in the world. English league is all hype.
Italians are just allowing English clubs to rule and the previous performance from the English league in Europe is all fluke.
Juventus and Inter were robbed. They shoulda been in the Semis.  
Zlatan Ibrahimovic is better than Messi and Ranieri is the best manager in Europe and George Bush is from Owerri.

Happy now??

Uhm,   wonders,  some people just find it hard to admit when they make mistakes,  because the format was different, it doesn't have to be UCL?         OGA OO,    shocked shocked shocked

Now i understand you, you are this type that would never agree when you do make mistakes and would want others to accept their own mistakes if they do,  keep it up, the sky is your limit. cry cry

@topic.

It's just next week, things are going to be clear for all to see.
Re: Champions League: Can Barca Prevent Another All-English Final? by Sauron1: 6:19pm On Apr 22, 2009
honeric01:

Uhm,   wonders,  some people just find it hard to admit when they make mistakes,  because the format was different, it doesn't have to be UCL?         OGA OO,    shocked shocked shocked
Now i understand you, you are this type that would never agree when you do mistakes and would want others to accept their own mistakes if they do,  keep it up, the sky is your limit. cry cry

Stop displaying your ignorance.
By now, you should know i don't just say stuffs without backing em off.

The old European cup has a different format to the Champions League. No group phase(only knock out).
It was very easy to retain because only domestic champions play in it. Since it became Champions League, there has been no title retention.

That alone should tell you it was easier to win pre 92/93.
Champions League is not the same as European cup as the format has now changed to accomodate more teams in the strong leagues.

Without this new format, Barcelona wouldn't have played in the last 2 competitions in Europe in the old European format.
Liverpool wouldn't have featured for 20 years and Arsenal wouldn't have played in it since 2004.

Are u learning?? grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

What Do You Make Of This Story On John Terry By The Sun / Manchester City Vs Bournemouth Carabao Cup : 2 - 1 On 24th September 2020 / Inter Milan V Bayern Munich Ucl Final Prediction Contest: Prize $100!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 155
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.