Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,019 members, 7,953,044 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 09:45 AM

Champions League: Can Barca Prevent Another All-English Final? - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Champions League: Can Barca Prevent Another All-English Final? (9476 Views)

Barca Needs To Buy Psg's Thiago Silva / Must Barca Cheat To Win! / El Clasico: Real Madrid Vs Barca [0 - 2] on Sat, 10th April (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Champions League: Can Barca Prevent Another All-English Final? by jalether(m): 6:31pm On Apr 22, 2009
switch, why are you such an attention seeker, chelsea is gonna end d season trophiless

we don hear, thats the only thing u say, what else you got ? cos that statement is getting really boring to be

honest, and i think if people can just start ignoring you, maybe you ll get a better job instead of spending

your entire time behind the keyboard venting your frustration and haterism, chelsea must be really important to you,

considering the amount of energy you consume in criticising the club.
Re: Champions League: Can Barca Prevent Another All-English Final? by honeric01(m): 6:38pm On Apr 22, 2009
~Sauron~:

Stop displaying your ignorance.
By now, you should know i don't just say stuffs without backing em off.

The old European cup has a different format to the Champions League. No group phase(only knock out).
It was very easy to retain because only domestic champions play in it. Since it became Champions League, there has been no title retention.

That alone should tell you it was easier to win pre 92/93.
Champions League is not the same as European cup as the format has now changed to accomodate more teams in the strong leagues.

Without this new format, Barcelona wouldn't have played in the last 2 competitions in Europe in the old European format.
Liverpool wouldn't have featured for 20 years and Arsenal wouldn't have played in it since 2004.

Are u learning?? grin grin

So because of this, those trophies won then shouldn't be counted as UCL? i even consider those trophies won then as authentic than now because it was only the champion of each leagues that participated,
bear this in mind, the world cup didn't start with 32 countries, so does that the winners when it just started shouldn't be counted as world cup winners?
Nations cup didn't start with 16 countries, does that mean those that won the nations cup won something different from the nations cup?

I learn what i don't know, good for me. and for you who think you know everything will end up knowing nothing!!! end of discussion.
Re: Champions League: Can Barca Prevent Another All-English Final? by jalether(m): 6:39pm On Apr 22, 2009
@ Sauron, not to be rude but i think all you argument about the epl being the strongest

in the world is bullshit, answer this question, how many champions league trophies as your

so called epl teams won altogether in the last 18 years, now compare it with the ittalian teams

as far as i'm concerned i dont care what anyone says the strongest team should be winning the competition

almost everytime.
Re: Champions League: Can Barca Prevent Another All-English Final? by eyonigger(m): 12:20am On Apr 23, 2009
U guys are just wasting ur tym quoting Sauron the name Sauron was formed from the Yoruba word which is "Soro"dude likes to talk too much, he is a programmed computer robot built to challenge the general views and opinions but to stay contended with his own factual spew and expecting the general to take to his own sht***t. The dude is good, he knowz thangz, but his failure is wasting  time debating a useless issue. Barca 4ever!
Re: Champions League: Can Barca Prevent Another All-English Final? by honeric01(m): 1:39am On Apr 23, 2009
Barca just showed all critics how football is played by beating sevilla 4 goals to nil without messi playing.  This is like 8 to 10 times this season  messi didn't play and we still got the needed result. All these wide mouthed crocodiles shouting no messi no Barca should go enrol in a daycare home.  Gosh, I wished I could just move to nou camp and make the stadium my permanent home Lol,
Re: Champions League: Can Barca Prevent Another All-English Final? by cheta02(m): 4:10am On Apr 23, 2009
[color=Black][/color][b][/b]BARCA 4 LIFE, barca wins chelsea up next week ,take it or leave it.
chelsea fans u loose,,cos we are riding to the ultimate position thats the champions league cup.
Re: Champions League: Can Barca Prevent Another All-English Final? by Krayola(m): 4:50am On Apr 23, 2009
honeric01:

Barca just showed all critics how football is played by beating sevilla 4 goals to nil without messi playing.  This is like 8 to 10 times this season  messi didn't play and we still got the needed result. All these wide mouthed crocodiles shouting no messi no Barca should go enrol in a daycare home.  Gosh, I wished I could just move to nou camp and make the stadium my permanent home Lol,

Yeah, It was beautiful. I swear I'm starting to think Andres Iniesta is the best player on this planet. Messi is not human so he doesn't count. Its a shame how underrated Iniesta is, a lot of people don't even know who he is. They'll find out when he's running circles around Chelsea.
Re: Champions League: Can Barca Prevent Another All-English Final? by olokun(m): 9:19am On Apr 23, 2009
Chelsea always beat Barcelona and we are still going to repeat thesame thing this term
Up Blues! Up Chelsea!!

>>>>> www.sportnewsreports..com

Re: Champions League: Can Barca Prevent Another All-English Final? by bammy(m): 9:59am On Apr 23, 2009
Up Bluessssssss
Re: Champions League: Can Barca Prevent Another All-English Final? by ogazi007(m): 10:11am On Apr 23, 2009
olokun:

Chelsea always beat Barcelona and we are still going to repeat thesame thing this term
Up Blues! Up Chelsea!!

>>>>>   www.sportnewsreports..com
where did u get that from?this is a public forum bro,dont spew what u dont know.
just wait and see ok.
Re: Champions League: Can Barca Prevent Another All-English Final? by bammy(m): 10:23am On Apr 23, 2009
yes hes right , we have the most wins, so what?
Re: Champions League: Can Barca Prevent Another All-English Final? by RuuDie(m): 10:28am On Apr 23, 2009
If you ask me. . . . . . i think the remaining EPL teams should team and play Barca, knock 'em out then play a round-robin tourney to determine who becomes UCL champs --- novel idea abi grin wink

Barca are by far the favorites 4 this one!
Re: Champions League: Can Barca Prevent Another All-English Final? by LuCiA2(f): 10:48am On Apr 23, 2009
Chelsea have won every fixture which they've played the 2nd leg at Stamford Bridge. That trend is likely to continue.
If i was a neutral, i would've prefered Barca playing either Man Utd or Arsenal because it would be an entertaining final. But since i have a very soft spot for London's Blues i am looking forward to a consecutive final appearance in Rome.
Re: Champions League: Can Barca Prevent Another All-English Final? by LuCiA2(f): 10:49am On Apr 23, 2009
@honeric01
I like the way you stood up to sauron, he acts like a bully sometimes wink
Re: Champions League: Can Barca Prevent Another All-English Final? by khanye(m): 11:03am On Apr 23, 2009
Only time will tell. . . . . . . . . .
Re: Champions League: Can Barca Prevent Another All-English Final? by honeric01(m): 1:33pm On Apr 23, 2009
If you don't know something, while not do some research before saying rubbish. Barcelona and Chelsea have met 11 times so far, Barca won 6, Chelsea won 4, and 1 match ended in a draw. So how did Chelsea end up beating barca the most?
Re: Champions League: Can Barca Prevent Another All-English Final? by A40(m): 2:08pm On Apr 23, 2009
Krayola:

@ A-40
Vela had played 2.5 seasons in spain, he even played in the 2nd division. I'll concede the point. I knew he was on loan to Osasuna but i honestly was not aware that he was already an Arsenal player for the preceding  season and a half he spent in Spain. that was my error. I don't claim to be a final authority on everything. I'm not sure about you but the whole point of engaging in debates like this is both to share knowledge, and to learn. No one knows everything and i do not go on wikipedia to double check everything I post. I watch a lot of football and i know a fair bit, but apparently not everything. Please take it easy with the insults,  I think we can have a good debate without acting like children. I'm not interested in throwing insults back and forth. 
Well we all learn new stuff everyday and yeah i was just playing with you so don't take what i said personally

Krayola:

Now Besides David Beckham, mention 3 English players that play 1st division football in Spain, Italy or Portugal. I'm not sure about Germany, but I doubt there are more than 2 or 3 that play there. Now count how many spanish players are in just England alone, then count how many south americans that have ended up in England via spain or even Italy. I really do not believe I have to go through this just to make you realize the obvious.
Well besides David Beckham that was at Real we also had Michael Owen and Woodgate,Steve Mcmanaman also played for Real but thats besides the point you are even getting the whole argument wrong because the EPL is not what it is based on the strength of English players every Kim,Sue and Sally knows that infact the reverse is the case and i have not claimed that English players are that fantastic i am of the opinion that they are over-rated and over-priced hence very few teams  in Europe can afford to pay their transfer fees and their wages and expect to get value for money so i really don't get this line you are towing

Krayola:

I mentioned Belletti and Deco in my original post because then I was trying to articulate the general trend i described above and not to compare how many players have moved from what league to what on a strictly numerical basis as u are doing ("well, since 5 players went from england to spain and 5 went from spain to England, then its just the same thing"wink. Until you joined the debate I didn't have to point out the different scenarios.
Its not about numbers here!! you said i should not have mentioned players like Henry and Ruud but its cool for you to mention Deco and Belleti when they both left their various clubs under almost identical circumstances

Krayola:

Besides the likes of Joe Cole, SWP, Lennon, and a few others, English players have average to poor technique. The only country where that is not a prerequisite for being a "top-level" footballer is in England.  The mid-lower table teams in EPL have too many English players and when they meet teams that have superior technical ability they get their asses handed to them. Football has evolved over the last decade and a half and England has slept on teaching their kids how to do anything besides sliding tackles, crossing, heading.
Still back to my previous point no one said the English Players are what make the premiership tick so you are bringing that argument out of your ass  grin grin

dayokanu:

Reason is that the same team represent the EPL everytime. So these 4 teams have built a pedigree in the tournament. That others cant . Imagine a team like Arsenal has not missed the CL in many years. while teams like AC Milan, Barcelona, Bayern, Inter, Juventus and other giants who have won trophies have missed.
If a team comes every year they would build a pedigree and perform better.

Any idiot can predict the EPL representative for the next many years the same for the last seasons.

Now back to my questions.
Sauron has answered you perfectly but then again the reason why all 4 teams keep making the top is simple they are the most efficiently run and they make freight-liners of money from T.V,Gate-takings and even their performances in the UCL!! the rest of Europe is finding it difficult to cope so why do you think the other EPL teams would fare better?
Re: Champions League: Can Barca Prevent Another All-English Final? by Sauron1: 2:29pm On Apr 23, 2009
LuC!A:

@honeric01
I like the way you stood up to sauron, he acts like a bully sometimes wink

You are a she-goat!!!

honeric01:

So because of this, those trophies won then shouldn't be counted as UCL? i even consider those trophies won then as authentic than now because it was only the champion of each leagues that participated,
bear this in mind, the world cup didn't start with 32 countries, so does that the winners when it just started shouldn't be counted as world cup winners?
Nations cup didn't start with 16 countries, does that mean those that won the nations cup won something different from the nations cup?

Try and do some mental aerobics to help the way you analyse issues.
There's a universe of difference between the world cup example you are giving and the champions league issue.
The old European cup had no group phase. It was a different format entirely. . . . . .Try and learn.

There's a reason football fans say no team has been able to RETAIN the Champions League.
If the Champions League = Old European cup, football pundits won't be making such statements.
Therefore, the Champions League is seen as a different competition entirely.
Liverpool has never won the Premiership but they have won the old football league 18 times. . . . There's a difference between the 2 statements.

I learn what i don't know, good for me. and for you who think you know everything will end up knowing nothing!!! end of discussion.

U learn what you dunno quite alright but i am telling you to learn more.
Only a complete doofus would say Champions League and the European cup are the same thang.
Re: Champions League: Can Barca Prevent Another All-English Final? by No2Atheism(m): 10:44pm On Apr 23, 2009
@dayokanu chk out this present that i have for you,
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=265238.msg3772431#msg3772431
Re: Champions League: Can Barca Prevent Another All-English Final? by honeric01(m): 12:43am On Apr 24, 2009
Sauron, I give up on your case because you WILL never learn, instead you keep telling others to learn. Just Because the old ucl was played as a knockout method, does that change the trophy from being ucl  Does that mean it wasn't ucl they played? because liverpool is yet to win the new epl named league, does that mean they have not been league champions? The only constant thing is change and you can't deny the fact that things change everyday. The winners of the old ucl still count as past winners of ucl no matter how you look at it,  That is why uefa still regard madrid, milan, liverpool, bayern, ajax and the rest winners of the old ucl as ucl trophy leaders.
   Come to think of it, the MAJOR reason why uefa decided to change the settings of how ucl games is played and why they introduced more clubs was because they needed more money to come into the tournament with the help of more clubs getting involved thereby opening ways for sponsors to come in and pump out more money to improve the quality of the tournament. Why they also made it a 2 legged match/group stages was to give room for supporters of each clubs feel the impact of the tournament on their own grounds and to also increase the fan base and popularity of the tournament as a whole.  Bottom line, that still did not rule out the fact that the new ucl is the continuation of the old ucl you claim to be different because the old winners are STILL COUNTED AS PAST WINNERS OF THE UCL

The world cup example I used is very correct with the issue on ground, when uruguay won the first world cup, it was relatively just 8 countries that participated in the competition they kept replaying any match that ends in a draw. But now, it has 32 countries and you don't have to replay any match that ends in a draw because of the introduction of extra time and penalties. So does these make the old worldcup winners different from the new ones? Certainly no reasons are because change occure in every part of human existence but that has not changed us from being humans. So the changes you see now in the new ucl does not give you the right to discredit the past winners of the old ucl because they played same thing CALLED EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WITH jUST A DIFFERENT NAME.

THIS WILL BE THE LAST TIME I WILL DIRECTLY RESPOND TO YOU SAURON ON THIS ISSUE BECAUSE I DON'T GIVE ROOM TO PEOPLE WHO FIND IT HARD TO ADMIT WHEN THINGS AREN'T GOING THEIR WAY.

prove to me with evidence from uefa that the winners OF THE old ucl before 1992 are not regarded as PAST WINNERS OF THE new ucl and I WILL come out here and apologise in CAP LETTERS TO YOU IN THIS PUBLIC FORUM.
Re: Champions League: Can Barca Prevent Another All-English Final? by Sauron1: 12:50am On Apr 24, 2009
@ honeric01,

U are not intelligent!!!!
Re: Champions League: Can Barca Prevent Another All-English Final? by eyonigger(m): 12:51am On Apr 24, 2009
Honerico, continue nah!!! na u go tire. Sauron never gets tired.
Re: Champions League: Can Barca Prevent Another All-English Final? by honeric01(m): 1:07am On Apr 24, 2009
@eyonigger.
   I know their type jare,  I WILL keep to my word.

You see Wetin iniesta do sevilla on wednesday? 1 goal 3 assist, That guy is a magician. If not that messi's stronger and has pace than him, I would have rated him at pal with messi.
   I don't want any excuse from both clubs about injuries. I want to see who's really better this time around.
Re: Champions League: Can Barca Prevent Another All-English Final? by eyonigger(m): 1:20am On Apr 24, 2009
Honeric, injury or no injury, I no send as long as I am winning the trophy. Them send u when u get injury last season? even though outshined manure. Same thing with madrid ahead of the el classico. Robben out on injury. pepe banned till next season, scheinder out also.

With all those, I still no send, its time we get back at them for the last season's humilation. I just dnt give a fu ck.
Re: Champions League: Can Barca Prevent Another All-English Final? by dayokanu(m): 3:26am On Apr 24, 2009
Sauron has answered you perfectly but then again the reason why all 4 teams keep making the top is simple they are the most efficiently run and they make freight-liners of money from T.V,Gate-takings and even their performances in the UCL!! the rest of Europe is finding it difficult to cope so why do you think the other EPL teams would fare better?

So A40 You have not answered me If the other EPl reps in EUrope fail that woefully then why should you call the EPL the best league

if Aston Villa, Portsmouth, Tottenham and Man City fail woefully.

If Chelsea beats Bayern and Hamburg beats Aston Villa then which of them is the best league?
Until EPL teams dominate both tournament like Spain Italy and Germany once did then it would not be fair to call them the strongest league
Re: Champions League: Can Barca Prevent Another All-English Final? by switch47(m): 8:37am On Apr 24, 2009
BARCA!! EVER READY!! MESSI, HENRY, ETO!!!

Re: Champions League: Can Barca Prevent Another All-English Final? by timmy7(m): 11:17am On Apr 24, 2009
You dont win a football game by outshining your opponent but by scoring d goal(s) that would make the difference so stop that silly clichy that barca outshone manure,it is obvious that even chelsea performed better against man u than your so called barca.
Re: Champions League: Can Barca Prevent Another All-English Final? by switch47(m): 12:00pm On Apr 24, 2009
check out what they do-----discussing after smoking weed-   see the size of the thing between his legs why wont he fall like an slowpoke when taking penalty!! grin yeye home based player.

John terry-  Did you see the way essien muscled away that liverpool guy  he can rough handle the entire barca team!! we can fit do that against BArca fit'nt we??

Lamps-   hahahahaha!! at least . all those my play any where belle face can mistakenly enter the net if the wind assist you never can tell

Chelsea go collect  RED card for that game if chelsea try am!! then we go see all this for nairaland Bluediva- if not for that Red card chelsea would not have conceeded the 4th and fifth goal, essien broke the guys leg but , why a red card? aty least the guy is still alive now!! grin

Sauron    -      @ bluediva  you are not intelligent   

FBS-  I am taking a walk

Khanye- GOOOAAAAAALLL      Barcelona on fire!!and  another red card for chelsea!!
grin grin grin grin grin

Switch47-  this is too bad   Barca should be   like 12 goals up  instead of six!! grin grin grin

Re: Champions League: Can Barca Prevent Another All-English Final? by A40(m): 12:27pm On Apr 24, 2009
@dayokanu
They are the best league simply because they been consistently providing top performances in the UCL (Europe's premier competition) recently there is a reason why the winners of the UCL are called the champions of Europe and not the Uefa cup winners its so easy even a caveman can decipher this besides show me one league that has been performing consistently well in the Uefa cup that you could even use to compare to the EPL?The EPL is the best for now abeg
Re: Champions League: Can Barca Prevent Another All-English Final? by Sauron1: 12:44pm On Apr 24, 2009
A-40:

@dayokanu
They are the best league simply because they been consistently providing top performances in the UCL (Europe's premier competition) recently there is a reason why the winners of the UCL are called the champions of Europe and not the Uefa cup winners its so easy even a caveman can decipher this besides show me one league that has been performing consistently well in the Uefa cup that you could even use to compare to the EPL?The EPL is the best for now abeg

Dayokanu is a billy-goat. He cannot understand the UCL is the premier competition in Europe.
Re: Champions League: Can Barca Prevent Another All-English Final? by Krayola(m): 2:43pm On Apr 24, 2009
A-40:

@dayokanu

Thats a terrible argument if I've ever seen one. You might wanna consider enrolling in a statistics course.

You are trying to measure the overall strength of a  league containing 20 teams, and you only include the 4 strongest in your analysis. How does that pass any mathematical or logical test?
Re: Champions League: Can Barca Prevent Another All-English Final? by A40(m): 6:38pm On Apr 24, 2009
Krayola:

Thats a terrible argument if I've ever seen one. You might wanna consider enrolling in a statistics course.

You are trying to measure the overall strength of a  league containing 20 teams, and you only include the 4 strongest in your analysis. How does that pass any mathematical or logical test?

Hahaha i am doing one right now but thats besides the point once again the terrible argument is from your corner and not mine can all 20 teams qualify for European competition or how on earth do we judge their strengths besides their performances in Europe

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Evidence Of Match-fixing In Champions League & World Cup Qualifiers / UEFA Euro 2008: Which Team Will Win? (Poll) / Newcastle Vs Tottenham Match Preview, Stats, Line Up And More

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.