Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,073 members, 7,818,203 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:16 AM

Pipeline Explosion In Lagos: 40 Feared Killed (pic) - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Pipeline Explosion In Lagos: 40 Feared Killed (pic) (5699 Views)

20 Feared Killed As Nigerian Troops Arrest Shi’te Leader, Elzakzaky / Photos- Over 40 Feared Dead As Russian Cargo Plane Crashes In South Sudan / Militant Group Claims Responsibility For Delta Pipeline Explosion- PUNCH (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pipeline Explosion In Lagos: 40 Feared Killed (pic) by amaikama(m): 11:55am On Apr 22, 2009
Government dey care before!!!! angry
Re: Pipeline Explosion In Lagos: 40 Feared Killed (pic) by asomugha: 12:09pm On Apr 22, 2009
OSISI>Are u this heartless,y not sympatize wit them and pray 4 God to recieve thier soul.
Re: Pipeline Explosion In Lagos: 40 Feared Killed (pic) by Horus(m): 12:27pm On Apr 22, 2009
We need to put a permanent security solution in place that provides a physical protection for the population.
Re: Pipeline Explosion In Lagos: 40 Feared Killed (pic) by taohaf: 12:40pm On Apr 22, 2009
Its actually agreed that all endeavour in life carry one or two risk along with it both reasonable and unreasonabe.Fine, poverty is a very human destructive tool that could turn its victim to anything.But it can be manage and mar infact it makes some ppl to be more proactive in there dealings not going to the the death trap all in the name of POVERTY.The risk attached is more than wat will come out of it.May there souls go to where God decides
Re: Pipeline Explosion In Lagos: 40 Feared Killed (pic) by iidiot: 12:53pm On Apr 22, 2009
georgecso:

Yes O! The situation is extremely pathetic

No good roads
No Stable power supply
No Petrol
No Kerosene
No Gas
No Railway line
No good health care facilities
No good food for the masses
No! No!! No!!!

that sounds like a failed state to me
Re: Pipeline Explosion In Lagos: 40 Feared Killed (pic) by hackney(m): 1:43pm On Apr 22, 2009
Unfortunately,these incidents will continue to occur because of the level of hardship in Nigeria.
A very sad situation where there seems to be no light at the end of the tunnel as people are completely wretched and destitute.

What is a man to do if he has no single kobo in his pocket and the cost of living is rising every day?
(especially when you live side by side with untold and limitless opulence)
That situation can drive a man barking mad (never mind desperate).

Sadly people will continue to rush towards a leaking gas pipeline and inevitably it will ignite at some point (an exact science).

Nigeria has no solution but as with all things, time will heal the gaping wound called nigeria.
(As in when generations pass away with their corruption and lack of vision and is gradually replaced with generations with more educated people who can hopefully fight corruption boldly;people will officially ask questions when things are not working and protest )

Eg in my home town a major road was documented to have been 'tarred' by Govt after govt till we organised a well versed body and started asking the LG chairman questions;he was bugged till the road got tarred and properly.

If all those 'phantom' Govt contracts are actually carried out,more people will be gainfully employed and will not have to go digging for a gas pipeline
I think a peaceful revolt for all failing infrastructure is the solution and if it snow-balls  into a full-blown revolution then so be it.

I Thnk that is the only way this poverty-driven risk-taking can be eradicated for good sad sad sad sad sad
Re: Pipeline Explosion In Lagos: 40 Feared Killed (pic) by layionline: 1:45pm On Apr 22, 2009
My fellow Nigerians. even if our refineries are working fine, what will happen is going to happen, and at the same time we should count the blame on economy, because if the economy is fine, Poverty cannot introduce itself so LETS PUT DA BLAME ON ECONOMY.
Re: Pipeline Explosion In Lagos: 40 Feared Killed (pic) by georgecso(m): 2:52pm On Apr 22, 2009
My fellow Nigerians. even if our refineries are working fine, what will happen is going to happen, and at the same time we should count the blame on economy, because if the economy is fine, Poverty cannot introduce itself so LETS PUT DA BLAME ON ECONOMY.

[size=14pt]bros are u in Nigeria at all?

How can the economy improve when :

The barber/salon does not petrol to power his/her gen
The Vulgarizer does has petrol to power his pressure pump
The Okada/goin/Kabukabu/achaba riders have to queue all day to get petrol
Our mothers/sisters grinding pepper/tomatoes need petrol
The list is endless,

They have changed our country into a jerry can state. There is no house u'll go in nigeria that u'll not find a jerry can of either petrol/kerosene/water etc. No thanks to the gas flaring.

Our current leaders are old, shortsighted and with stagnant ideas. The youths have been marginalized. China is almost 7-8 times Nigeria in terms of population, Go to India, Malasiya, Isreal, Dubai, etc .The youths of these countries played a vital role and given chance to contribute positively.

My dear my heart bleeds for this country. cry cry cry

Imagine passing through this life without enjoying 24 - 48 hrs of uninterrupted power supply. simply because am in Nigeria
[/size]
Re: Pipeline Explosion In Lagos: 40 Feared Killed (pic) by ibedun: 3:42pm On Apr 22, 2009
Reading through these responses sadly reinforces one thing, that poverty has infact impaired our judgement to dangerous levels. That in my view is one of the reasons we are plagued with so much social and societal problems. Cant we just for once see reason and put blame squarely where it belongs? GOD himself is so pissed off with our ways that he has more or less abandoned us to our fate.

The government of Nigeria, in my view, has done everything humanly possible to sensitise our people to the dangers of this repeated event. In the last few years alone, the government has embarked upon a highly visible campaign to highlight and inform its people about this danger. They have used every possible medium - radio, TV, newspapers, billboards, signboards, warnings in all our local languages and dialets, demolition of illegal structures etc etc etc. I live at Ejigbo, an area known for its network of NNPC pipelines and depots. I have seen first hand what the government has done to ensure that its citizens avoid these kinds of needless deaths. What else do people expect the government to do? Employ security on every stretch of the pipeline network? Where else in the world have you heard of people dying repeatedly in this manner?

Those who died have only themselves to blame and in fact its nature's way of removing senseless, idiotic and irresponsible individuals from the midst of society.

And this nonsense shout about POVERTY - Well let me tell you 'knuckle- heads' NO government in this world has ever taken its people out of poverty - that is the job and responsibility of its people. The government only creates an enabling environment and support for its citizens to use their positively creative minds to conquer the commercial world by creating products people want to buy and watch the goodies (dollars) coming home. WE THE PEOPLE ARE RESPONSIBLE AND THE NIGERIAN PEOPLE ARE VERY DIFFICULT TO GOVERN.
Re: Pipeline Explosion In Lagos: 40 Feared Killed (pic) by winnag: 4:24pm On Apr 22, 2009
When our leaders hear these stories they relax over a bottle of "stolen"wine and laugh off.
Re: Pipeline Explosion In Lagos: 40 Feared Killed (pic) by georgecso(m): 4:55pm On Apr 22, 2009
And this nonsense shout about POVERTY - Well let me tell you 'knuckle- heads' NO government in this world has ever taken its people out of poverty - that is the job and responsibility of its people. The government only creates an enabling environment and support for its citizens to use their positively creative minds to conquer the commercial world by creating products people want to buy and watch the goodies (dollars) coming home. WE THE PEOPLE ARE RESPONSIBLE AND THE NIGERIAN PEOPLE ARE VERY DIFFICULT TO GOVERN.

[size=18pt]You must be a beneficiary of these ppl with stagnant ideas ruling us. You absolutely don't have idea of what you're talking
We are talking about extreme poverty here what are u talking? You are completely out of ur mind[/size]
Re: Pipeline Explosion In Lagos: 40 Feared Killed (pic) by ibedun: 5:03pm On Apr 22, 2009
georgecso,

None of the countries you mentioned has uninterrupted power supply!!!

Our expectations are truly flabagasting!!  I dont envy the leaders of Nigeria - they are damned if they do and damned if they dont. Nigeria will still be a poor country even if we have zero - corruption. Why? Our industrial output is zero, our GDP per head is shameful, with the exception of god-given oil we have not created anything that the world wants to buy, we have only one or two world class enterpreneurs, we dont have any brand of product or offering that the world can identify with Nigeria, we are at the moment nothing but 10s of millions of lazy, complaining, government-blaming, superstitious, non-tax paying, pastor-imam-pope worshiping 'waiting for jesus' MORONS. Look at the way the vast majority of our people live? Waiting for the government to come and clean their toilets, sweep their dirty compounds, stop them from sleeping with their reproductively irresponsible females - making babies they have not the faintest idea how to bring up and jacking up world poverty and misery in  the process. YES you!!! I am talking to each one of you!!!  And i am one of you - a full blooded proud Nigerian but lets call a spade a spade (meaning tell each other the truth). Our government just dont make the kind of money necessary to support our lofty and incredulous expectations. We are yet to work our way out of poverty. That is what it will take - hard graft for a very very long time.

I wouldnt go near a gasoline pipeline with other 'brain dead' zombies thinking I am about to make a fast buck.
Re: Pipeline Explosion In Lagos: 40 Feared Killed (pic) by georgecso(m): 5:19pm On Apr 22, 2009
The government only creates an enabling environment and support for its citizens to use their positively creative minds to conquer the commercial world by creating products people want to buy and watch the goodies (dollars) coming home.

[size=16pt]Give me one single enabling environment/condition these mad leaders have created for our teaming rural/urban populace.
Every year farmers cry of lack of fertilizer/pesticides and lack of farm machinery
No good read to transport these little farm produce to the market
No light to preserve perishable goods
Bros the list go on and on

may be l don't know what enabling environment means but l'll like to know urs pls
[/size]
Re: Pipeline Explosion In Lagos: 40 Feared Killed (pic) by texazzpete(m): 6:22pm On Apr 22, 2009
georgecso:

[size=16pt]Give me one single enabling environment/condition these mad leaders have created for our teaming rural/urban populace.
Every year farmers cry of lack of fertilizer/pesticides and lack of farm machinery
No good read to transport these little farm produce to the market
No light to preserve perishable goods
Bros the list go on and on

may be l don't know what enabling environment means but l'll like to know urs pls
[/size]

There's no excuse whatsoever for illegal stealing of petroleum products, especially from vandalized pipelines that historically are apt to explode at any time.
Bringing forward poverty as an acceptable rationale for this kind of stupid act makes you part of the people with stagnant and uncreative mindsets in this country.
As for your opinion that the youths are needed to change this country, may i remind you that 99.99% of the 419ers, the armed robbers, the millitants, the ritual killers and the kidnappers are youths?
Re: Pipeline Explosion In Lagos: 40 Feared Killed (pic) by Macteejay2(m): 6:45pm On Apr 22, 2009
illegal stealing

which one be legal stealing?

Youths are simply marginalized and jobless simple. Are we the only country with crudeoil in this world?
Re: Pipeline Explosion In Lagos: 40 Feared Killed (pic) by Macteejay2(m): 6:54pm On Apr 22, 2009
As for your opinion that the youths are needed to change this country, may i remind you that 99.99% of the 419ers, the armed robbers, the millitants, the ritual killers and the kidnappers are youths?

@ georgecso l love ur points

@ texazzpete

Do you think if Obama where to be in PDP he would not have scaled through the primaries.

We have over 80million youths in this country yet we are still struggling to win the Nation Cup

Recently 200,000 dollars disappeared from the safe of NFA or whatever in a broad day light.

We are lucky to have something doing that is why we are not kidnapping, killing etc.
Re: Pipeline Explosion In Lagos: 40 Feared Killed (pic) by bawomolo(m): 7:04pm On Apr 22, 2009
We have over 80million youths in this country yet we are still struggling to win the Nation Cup

umm what does population have to do with a sports competition?
Re: Pipeline Explosion In Lagos: 40 Feared Killed (pic) by Fhemmmy: 7:17pm On Apr 22, 2009
bawomolo:

I beg ask the guy oh, i guess china and india shd have won all the world cups.
I just wonder how some people uses their fishes brain to think
Re: Pipeline Explosion In Lagos: 40 Feared Killed (pic) by chusben(m): 8:55pm On Apr 22, 2009
This is what is going to happen that day, some people will see road to heaven and chose to perish in hell and we will call it ignorance.
Re: Pipeline Explosion In Lagos: 40 Feared Killed (pic) by slimfine(f): 8:58pm On Apr 22, 2009
God help Nigeria and the entire human race!
Re: Pipeline Explosion In Lagos: 40 Feared Killed (pic) by REALTRUTH1: 11:52pm On Apr 22, 2009
ibedun:

georgecso,

None of the countries you mentioned has uninterrupted power supply!!!

Our expectations are truly flabagasting!! I dont envy the leaders of Nigeria - they are damned if they do and damned if they dont. Nigeria will still be a poor country even if we have zero - corruption. Why? Our industrial output is zero, our GDP per head is shameful, with the exception of god-given oil we have not created anything that the world wants to buy, we have only one or two world class enterpreneurs, we dont have any brand of product or offering that the world can identify with Nigeria, we are at the moment nothing but 10s of millions of lazy, complaining, government-blaming, superstitious, non-tax paying, pastor-imam-pope worshiping 'waiting for jesus' MORONS. Look at the way the vast majority of our people live? Waiting for the government to come and clean their toilets, sweep their dirty compounds, stop them from sleeping with their reproductively irresponsible females - making babies they have not the faintest idea how to bring up and jacking up world poverty and misery in the process. YES you!!! I am talking to each one of you!!! And i am one of you - a full blooded proud Nigerian but lets call a spade a spade (meaning tell each other the truth). Our government just dont make the kind of money necessary to support our lofty and incredulous expectations. We are yet to work our way out of poverty. That is what it will take - hard graft for a very very long time.
I wouldnt go near a gasoline pipeline with other 'brain dead' zombies thinking I am about to make a fast buck.
You are a very smart man,,,I wish many young Nigerians can THINK the way you are thinking,,,No doubt our Leaders have messed up the system,,but the so called populace are a major reason why Nigeria is what it is today,,,,,

Re: Pipeline Explosion In Lagos: 40 Feared Killed (pic) by REALTRUTH1: 11:54pm On Apr 22, 2009
@Ibedun:You are a very smart man,,,I wish many young Nigerians can THINK the way you are thinking,,,No doubt our Leaders have messed up the system,,but the so called populace are a major reason why Nigeria is what it is today,,,,,
There is a lot of wisdom in what you have just said man!!
Re: Pipeline Explosion In Lagos: 40 Feared Killed (pic) by Kobojunkie: 1:41am On Apr 23, 2009
May their souls finally find the rest they deserve!!
Re: Pipeline Explosion In Lagos: 40 Feared Killed (pic) by Jakumo(m): 6:44am On Apr 23, 2009
ibedun:

georgecso,
with Nigeria, we are at the moment nothing but 10s of millions of lazy, complaining, government-blaming, superstitious, non-tax paying, pastor-imam-pope worshiping 'waiting for jesus' MORONS.

I am going to lodge a special complaint about the above comment with Pastor Eunuch, and in retaliation He will transform the writer of these blasphemous words into a brainwashed, salary-submitting, arm-waving, eyes-closed, ululating adherent to His church, and furthermore, all the magic spells to achieve this transformation will be executed from the Lap of Jesus, at 40 thousand feet above sea level, in the sublime comfort of Pastor Eunuch's 28 million dollar private Gulfstream jet. Praise the Lord !
Re: Pipeline Explosion In Lagos: 40 Feared Killed (pic) by texazzpete(m): 7:21am On Apr 23, 2009
Macteejay2:

Do you think if Obama where to be in PDP he would not have scaled through the primaries.

Recently 200,000 dollars disappeared from the safe of NFA or whatever in a broad day light.

We are lucky to have something doing that is why we are not kidnapping, killing etc.

Why is it that you people think that as soon as there's little or no money, the next thing is to default to crime?
It is impossible to eradicate poverty; the poor will always be with us. There are paupers in even the most developed country in the world.
There should be little sympathy for people who use poverty as an excuse to default into crime, especially crimes that hurt others. Less sympathy should be extended to these people that died in the pipeline fire.

Most people in Nigeria have seen images of the roasted victims in Jesse and other pipeline fire disasters, they know that vandalized pipelines are prone to explosion, killing all the people gathered around the site. They knew the risks and they took them. Why then the sob stories here?

The Government has spent untold millions of taxpayers' money sensitizing the people against doing such things, yet they persisted. IMHO, those of you arguing the case of this stupid act are every bit as visionless as our so-called 'bad leaders'.
Re: Pipeline Explosion In Lagos: 40 Feared Killed (pic) by georgecso(m): 7:57am On Apr 23, 2009

[size=16pt]Are u implying that we don't have the potentials? [/size]
Re: Pipeline Explosion In Lagos: 40 Feared Killed (pic) by texazzpete(m): 7:59am On Apr 23, 2009
georgecso:

[size=16pt]Are u implying that we don't have the potentials? [/size]

No. What he's implying is that you made a harebrained statement. India and China have population that easily surpass that of Nigeria. Does that mark them for success in football?

Stick to the topic at hand.
Re: Pipeline Explosion In Lagos: 40 Feared Killed (pic) by phantom(m): 9:11am On Apr 23, 2009
One of my friend talk say naija na place wey satan dey come relax after a hard days work of wrecking havoc in other countries, grin
Re: Pipeline Explosion In Lagos: 40 Feared Killed (pic) by phantom(m): 9:13am On Apr 23, 2009
One of my friend talk say naija na place wey satan dey come relax after a hard days work of wrecking havoc in other countries, grin
Re: Pipeline Explosion In Lagos: 40 Feared Killed (pic) by Mmuo(m): 9:42am On Apr 23, 2009
Ppl who do not have a future in the sense of food, what do U expect them to do since they can take the risk and may be survive, so the risk has to be taken.
If they take that risk they may survive or die but if they do not, they have no hope of survival.
Re: Pipeline Explosion In Lagos: 40 Feared Killed (pic) by georgecso(m): 10:03am On Apr 23, 2009
Ppl who do not have a future in the sense of food, what do U expect them to do since they can take the risk and may be survive, so the risk has to be taken.
If they take that risk they may survive or die but if they do not, they have no hope of survival.

[size=16pt]pls tell them. There is a very thing line between hope and despair[/size]
Re: Pipeline Explosion In Lagos: 40 Feared Killed (pic) by Nobody: 1:19pm On Apr 23, 2009
lets consdier

a poor guy, maybe an area boy, maybe a hawker, basically one of the poor people in nigeria.

a tanker overturns in her neighbourhood, or a pipe is leaking. so . . free petrol.

lets assume she is able to get a jerrycan - 25 litres . that comes to n1625. and she will never be able to sell it for that price, unless there is fuel scarcity. so 1400 is the most any of those fools can expect to get for risking their lives in the most foolish manner. it can't even be called greed - it's just the nigerian ill thought out preoccupation with quick money.

Mmuo:

no matter how bad things may be in nigeria, you can be sure most of those able bodied victims are not in such dire straits that they need to risk their well being for n1500. this has absolutely nothing to do with 'survival' - its simply about the desire for quick money. there's not much diff in mentality between the victims of the explosion and the victims of hyips(club freedom etal) two years from now, the hyips will be back, and people will borrow money, risk their savings all the while blathering about how they are doing it because nigeria is a difficult country when people with more sense chastise them for their foolishness.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Fraud Detected In Call To Bar Final Examination / Mko Abiola's Son Kicked Out Of Acn / Photos Of People Killed By Fulani Herdsmen In Nimbo, Uzo-uwani LGA Of Enugu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.