Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,308 members, 7,819,051 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:37 AM

Does The Bible Support Abortion? Numbers Chapter 5 - Religion (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Does The Bible Support Abortion? Numbers Chapter 5 (54529 Views)

SHOCKED: Even The Bible Support This? / What They Won't Tell You At The Abortion Clinic. / Does The Bible Support Communism? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does The Bible Support Abortion? Numbers Chapter 5 by tmamuda(m): 11:28am On Oct 26, 2015
neocortex:

The whole bible points to the fact that
God changes with culture. A single verse
cannot neutralize the stance of the complete
bible.

Hebrew 13:8, James 1:17 all this agree to be witness that God never Change
Are U a Christian? Which verse support ur claim
Re: Does The Bible Support Abortion? Numbers Chapter 5 by tmamuda(m): 11:35am On Oct 26, 2015
exxell:
As a Christian, na one eye I dey take look that Old testament god. Most times, there is no difference between him nd the Muslim Allah. Very radical in nature.

U re not a Christian then if U look at Word of God with One eye.
Re: Does The Bible Support Abortion? Numbers Chapter 5 by tmamuda(m): 11:41am On Oct 26, 2015
uzolexis:

No one was ever unjustly punished Have you read the old testament well there were a lot of places he told the Israelites to attack cities and kill the men, take the women and children as their own just cos they dont worship him Didn't it occur to you that those pple didnt even know about him and what he should have told the Israelites to do was evangelise to them and not kill them Look at Esau and Jacob, he hated Esau even before Esau was born for no good reason. Jacob was blessed even though he deceived his father and Esau was cursed even though he did nothing wrong those that sound right to you

God is holy and He will not associate wit Unholy people. Bad character corrupt good minds
Re: Does The Bible Support Abortion? Numbers Chapter 5 by tmamuda(m): 11:44am On Oct 26, 2015
raayah:

If i take a pill that causes miscarriage, is it abortion? Induced miscarriage is abortion. Why are you guys denying it. I opened this thread asking a simple question, yet no coherent answer.
No
Re: Does The Bible Support Abortion? Numbers Chapter 5 by tmamuda(m): 11:54am On Oct 26, 2015
mjconcept:

Can you point any powerful and inspiring thing about that book?

John 3:16
For God so Loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son that whosoever Believe in him should not perish but have eternal life.

1 Like

Re: Does The Bible Support Abortion? Numbers Chapter 5 by fpeter(f): 12:01pm On Oct 26, 2015
raayah:
Read Through

Numbers 5 vs 20-23

20 But if you have gone astray while married to your husband and you have made yourself impure by having sexual relations with a man other than your husband"--

21 here the priest is to put the woman under this curse--"may the LORD cause you to become a curse among your people when he makes your womb miscarry and your abdomen swell.

22 May this water that brings a curse enter your body so that your abdomen swells or your womb miscarries." "'Then the woman is to say, "Amen. So be it."

23 "'The priest is to write these curses on a scroll and then wash them off into the bitter water.

I think as a Muslim, it is wrong for you to come and misquote the Bible or use it out of context. Seeing that on this platform we as Christians are not allowed to trashtalk your quran. Howbeit for the benefit of those who are ignorant, I will recommend that they get a copy of the Bible and read through the entire Chapter for better understanding of the passage in view. In those days,there were laws handed down to the Irealites for guidance.
But Jesus came and gave Grace to His people and redeemed them from such curses. BELOW IS PART OF THE SCRIPTURE YOU DIDN'T CONNECT IN YOUR QUOTE.

27 When he has made her to drink the water, then it will be that, if she is defiled and has acted treacherously against her husband, the water that causes the curse will enter into her, and become bitter, and her belly will swell, and her thigh will rot, and the woman will be a curse among her people. 28 If the woman is not defiled, but is clean, then she will be free and will conceive offspring.

29 This is the law of jealousies, when a wife goes astray to another instead of her husband, and is defiled, 30 or when the spirit of jealousy comes on him, and he is jealous over his wife, and will set the woman before the Lord, and the priest will perform on her all this law. 31 Then the man will be guiltless from iniquity, and this woman will bear her iniquity.
Re: Does The Bible Support Abortion? Numbers Chapter 5 by tmamuda(m): 12:06pm On Oct 26, 2015
uzolexis:

Don't get it twisted, i'm a Christian and I believe God exist but i'm also a human who uses her brains and these questions and inconsistencies about God can't help but pop up. You can choose not to use your brains when it comes to the things of God and that is your problem but I cant do that so I'll continue to ask questions and wonder about all these inconsistencies until I am clarified.

Nevertheless, I have a question based on this your comment, why would God have mercy on some people and not have mercy on the others? So what is the point of asking him to have mercy on you when he has already made up his mind about those he will have mercy on?

Why do U choose to love others n hate others? If U re a Christian allow the Holy Spirit to use U, U will understand better. Hope u hear abt the Holy Spirit, invite Him into ur life
Don't use ur Brain
Re: Does The Bible Support Abortion? Numbers Chapter 5 by fpeter(f): 12:08pm On Oct 26, 2015
raayah:
Read Through

Numbers 5 vs 20-23

20 But if you have gone astray while married to your husband and you have made yourself impure by having sexual relations with a man other than your husband"--

21 here the priest is to put the woman under this curse--"may the LORD cause you to become a curse among your people when he makes your womb miscarry and your abdomen swell.

22 May this water that brings a curse enter your body so that your abdomen swells or your womb miscarries." "'Then the woman is to say, "Amen. So be it."

23 "'The priest is to write these curses on a scroll and then wash them off into the bitter water.

I am also sure that if we as Christians would take time to start picking certain verses from your quran we would see certain laws that would benefit our arguments too. But we are not like you, we have better things to do with ourselves than to bash your quaran or religion. Why is it that majority of you choose to dwell on the Bible messages than spending time reading your own quaran?? we don't preach the quaran or use texts from it to preach to people or even trash talk it...we simply preach our BIBLE...i think y'all should stick to your quarans too and your hateful bashings.

For better understanding of the passage you twisted out of context see also:
Galatians3:13 "Christ purchased our freedom and redeemed us from the curse of the Law and its condemnation by becoming a curse for us—for it is written, “Cursed is everyone who hangs [crucified] on a tree (cross)”—
Re: Does The Bible Support Abortion? Numbers Chapter 5 by tmamuda(m): 12:14pm On Oct 26, 2015
Chomzy19:
John 3:16 'for God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son that WHOSOEVER believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life'. God does not want anyone to perish in eternal damnation, he will have mercy on anyone who repents and turns to him.that is the only reason our lord Jesus Christ was made man, To bring his forgiveness and salvation to mankind, so God will have mercy on anyone who asks him for it. However God already knows those he will have mercy on, because he already knows those that wil ask for his mercy and be saved.

It is however the prerogative of God to decide what to do with the people he created, that is why he is God. It says in the book of Isiah that a potter can choose to do with the pottery whatever he wants. It is not in the place of any human being to question God, analyse his moves or even try to understand God and his motives because you just can't. He is a loving father though and everything he does is for the good of those that loves and trusts in him. You dont have to understand or try to rationalize what he is doing just trust in him and all will finally work out in your favour

You said you have questions and inconsistencies in the bible. I can tell you that you are asking the wrong people. Ask the holy spirit, he is there to guide you. Have a quiet time when you still all thoughts and ask him to answer your questions. He will help you. You can also ask your pastor or priest or any Christian you know who is mature in the spirit. Not all elders in the church are spiritually mature though and you'll never fully understand what they teach unless you are spiritually connected.
Finally it is foolhardy to try to understand spiritual truths with your physical senses. Everyman has a spirit, try and give your spirit the chance of explaining things to you, It has a better chance is succeeding

Well said
Re: Does The Bible Support Abortion? Numbers Chapter 5 by engrSED: 12:24pm On Oct 26, 2015
Very wrong interpretation.
The passage didn't talk about any pregnancy but of suspected adultery. Besides the word 'miscarry' ar anything like it isn't in my Bible versions. KJV and Goodnews
Re: Does The Bible Support Abortion? Numbers Chapter 5 by kckingz: 2:35pm On Oct 26, 2015
Here's the new praise medley by kckingz that is crowning churches now, download and enjoy, share with friends/family
www.gospelph.com/download/?song=949
www.gospelph.com/page/?song=949
www.gospelph.com/play/?song=949
Re: Does The Bible Support Abortion? Numbers Chapter 5 by Esdb3: 4:05pm On Oct 26, 2015
omoarole:

Thanks for the reply. But now, there are a few things you wrote that don't sit well with me. First you said the Jericho wall was made of clay. I wonder where you got that from. Then you said clay walls are soundproof....now that's laughable...even if we are to take the story of the seven trumpets on face value, do you know the type of trumpets they ate? Do yu know the pitch of the sound they emitted? Because they called them ram horns you assume they make only audible and not hyper resonant sound.
Then you said don't call God Science. Seems you do not really know what science is. Science is a path to knowledge. And if you say God is the embodiment of knowledge I see how you fail to make that connection. And science is not what we humans practise, don't put it that merely. ...
Science seeks to know why. Look up the meaning of science in the dictionary.....
And never did I say tthat God is not science minded. Didn't you read that part where I said that maybe the reason why God is omnipresent is because he has conquered space-time continuum?
I must conclude by saying what I said in my last ppost....I will not claim to know it all....that's antithetical to science.

My dear don't be impossible - the pitch of ram horn blow into by human lungs can bring the fences of a city down?

So what if God has conquered space time continuum? We haven't. It is why we worship him. Lemme point out sth; the common mistake y'all make.

God is omni-present, you rightly deduced that it maybe because he has conquered space time continuum - ok. Now this is where your problem lies;

All you did is explain how he may have done it. Now why do you then feel fly, why do you now feel like you are above others that worship him for being omni-present not 'space-time continuum conqueror'? Why does the world anytime they can explain things become pompous and regard God has nothing.

You know it is space-time continuum. All well and good. But fact remains - you can't replicate it! You can't do it! God didn't send Adam and Eve from the garden because they simply disobeyed him, but because it would be harder to obey him with the knowledge they can acquire immediately they acquired the knowledge in the fruit.

Man has been farther from God simply because of the peacock use of science.

Christ walked on water. Maybe when he wanted to walk on water, the surface tension multiplied to hold him. Maybe, maybe not. But what is is, he didn't put on some device to do it. Atleast nothing anybody saw. Fact? We can't do it, he can so worship him!
Re: Does The Bible Support Abortion? Numbers Chapter 5 by omoarole: 7:50pm On Oct 26, 2015
Esdb3:

My dear don't be impossible - the pitch of ram horn blow into by human lungs can bring the fences of a city down?

So what if God has conquered space time continuum? We haven't. It is why we worship him. Lemme point out sth; the common mistake y'all make.

God is omni-present, you rightly deduced that it maybe because he has conquered space time continuum - ok. Now this is where your problem lies;

All you did is explain how he may have done it. Now why do you then feel fly, why do you now feel like you are above others that worship him for being omni-present not 'space-time continuum conqueror'? Why does the world anytime they can explain things become pompous and regard God has nothing.

You know it is space-time continuum. All well and good. But fact remains - you can't replicate it! You can't do it! God didn't send Adam and Eve from the garden because they simply disobeyed him, but because it would be harder to obey him with the knowledge they can acquire immediately they acquired the knowledge in the fruit.

Man has been farther from God simply because of the peacock use of science.

Christ walked on water. Maybe when he wanted to walk on water, the surface tension multiplied to hold him. Maybe, maybe not. But what is is, he didn't put on some device to do it. Atleast nothing anybody saw. Fact? We can't do it, he can so worship him!

And I still can't understand why you don't have the patience of reading through my post. WHERE in my post did I sound pompous? Didn't you read that part of my post where I said that science is a direct path to God, if we believe that God is the embodiment of knowledge? And did I criticize you for worshipping your God? Brother or sister (whichever is applicable) please, do not sow the apple of discord by misquoting me and implying what cannot be true about me. I am not a pompous person. I do not claim to know all (and I stated that quite clearly). What I have only said is that science differs from mainstream religions because it searches rather than believes.
And who said there has to be a physical device to perform a scientific feat? Are radio waves visible? If he walked on water and we don't understand how he did it today, doesn't mean science will not know tomorrow. That's the humility of science.
About the ram horn thing, no side of the argument can claim superiority, because we are not arguing from first person observer statuses. But science has shown that hyper resonant sound can disstabilize subatomic bonds. It is not the quality of the horn or the strength of the blower. It doesn't even have to be in the range of the human ear.
We can carry out intelligent discussions without resorting to character assassination. PLEASE, you do not know me, so, do not presume to. I have never been and will never be pompous. I am a scientist. There is much humility in that.
Re: Does The Bible Support Abortion? Numbers Chapter 5 by PrinceVictorE(m): 9:40pm On Oct 26, 2015
The Bible is complete.
Read the preceeding verses and you'll have answer to your question.
Jesus Loves You
Re: Does The Bible Support Abortion? Numbers Chapter 5 by PrinceVictorE(m): 9:59pm On Oct 26, 2015
uzolexis:

Don't get it twisted, i'm a Christian and I believe God exist but i'm also a human who uses her brains and these questions and inconsistencies about God can't help but pop up. You can choose not to use your brains when it comes to the things of God and that is your problem but I cant do that so I'll continue to ask questions and wonder about all these inconsistencies until I am clarified.

Nevertheless, I have a question based on this your comment, why would God have mercy on some people and not have mercy on the others? So what is the point of asking him to have mercy on you when he has already made up his mind about those he will have mercy on?

He will have mercy on whom He will have mercy on because He already knows our future right from the beginning. There is point in asking Him for mercy because we as humans only know our past and present we know notwhat our future is. Let's do our own part as humans and leave God's part to Him.
His mercy Endureth forever
Re: Does The Bible Support Abortion? Numbers Chapter 5 by slimmykisses(f): 10:06pm On Oct 26, 2015
This verse num 5:20-23 has nothing to do with abortion pls read it to the end in verse 31 u will understand it better.
Re: Does The Bible Support Abortion? Numbers Chapter 5 by fatoyinbo7(m): 11:23am On Oct 31, 2015
God is so merciful that he remember not our sins
Re: Does The Bible Support Abortion? Numbers Chapter 5 by oaroloye(m): 11:21am On Mar 05, 2017
SHALOM!

The ABORTION is only a small part of the Message, and there are many other factors to be considered when assessing Salvation.

SINNERS ARE LOST.

If a person KNOWS GOD, they CANNOT commit Sin any more and are SAVED.

BOASTING RIGHTEOUSNESS because one DID/DID NOT Commit ABORTION, when one has nor attained SALVATION is like POLISHING THE DECK RAILINGS on THE TITANIC, after it had started to SINK!

We have more important priorities than this nonsense. It is a certainty, that anyone messing with this is very far from being Saved.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Man's Hands Covered By Bees After He Stole A Car From The Owner (Video, Photo) / Video Of The "Flying Bird That Turned Into A Woman In Port Harcourt" / Words Mostly Used In Living Faith Church A.k.a Winners Chapel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.