Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,746 members, 7,817,058 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:02 AM

NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories - Travel (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories (77094 Views)

Oyinbo Man Spotted Hawking Soft Drinks To Nigerians In UK Traffic / Heathrow Airport Replies Nigerian Over Leaking Airport Roof In London / Ada Onyilokwu Nigerian, Dies In London (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by Nobody: 8:21am On Oct 06, 2015
I HAVE! My passport is stamped!

I don't need to live abroad before I make it in life.

You people should stop killing yourselves all in d name of abroad!

dancok:
if they offer u a visa tell me u no go go.
Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by ogaju007(m): 8:23am On Oct 06, 2015
Anglovel:

You can succeed Here in Nigeria if u are Patient,Diligent,Honest,Focused,Frugal, CONTENTED,PRAYERFUL!!!
The Land is Greener Here in Nigeria trust me!
I wish your statement was constantly true, I will be the first to jump back but I'm afraid it's not. The system doesn't support gradual legit progress. The Man no Man Culture might hamper your plans. The system might also cripple you. All that said, the opportunities are there in Nigeria as well and nothing compares to the sun.

1 Like

Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by ogaju007(m): 8:28am On Oct 06, 2015
Lizabeth25:
I HAVE! My passport is stamped!
I don't need to live abroad before I make it in life.
You people should stop killing yourselves all in d name of abroad!

True, you don't need to travel anywhere before making it. making it is subjective though and dreams are different. For some, the dream is to have millions, build a house and buy a car gbam. However for others, they want to explore, compete on a Global front, push the boundaries.
It all depends on perspective. Whatever we do, we should make sure it's legit.

3 Likes

Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by Nobody: 8:41am On Oct 06, 2015
Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by Nobody: 8:42am On Oct 06, 2015
True! Buh that doesn't mean we have to kill ourselves in other to achieve our aims!

If somebody start heading to work by 4.30am in some parts of Nigeria, (Lagos precisely) we will say he/she is trying to beat Traffic! Buh abroad nkan? The place people are clamoring for!

What's their reason for heading to work by that time

ogaju007:

True, you don't need to travel anywhere before making it. making it is subjective though and dreams are different. For some, the dream is to have millions, build a house and buy a car gbam. However for others, they want to explore, compete on a Global front, push the boundaries.
It all depends on perspective. Whatever we do, we should make sure it's legit.
Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by coogar: 8:51am On Oct 06, 2015
ayodele234:

You know nothing about economics. Poverty is defined by where you live and not by converting difference currencies. The purchasing power of someone earning 2,000 pounds in UK. is equivalent to someone making 60,000 naira in Nigeria. You need to talk to an economist before typing what you don't understand

you are a capital idïot!

60,000 naira will struggle to buy 600 litres of petrol. 2,000 pounds will buy 2,000 litres of petrol. i will rip everything you have learnt in economics into shreds within 30 mins if you permit me. £2,000 pounds is the equivalent of N60,000? i think you need to lie down and reappraise your intelligence quotient.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by Nobody: 8:52am On Oct 06, 2015
dovelike:

True. Am doing a menial job here and I already bought a car. My cousins back in Nigeria that have been working in a hospital for a while can't afford one. You can imagine

Yea I understand and the exchange rate is not helping matters. Send small pounds home and see how somebody's life will change at home.

although owning a car isn't such a big deal in naija anymore, almost everybody owns one now
Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by desiji: 8:59am On Oct 06, 2015
Ilaje44:
Those guys complaining about being targeted by the Police should please go to the State of Bavaria or Baden-Wuerttemberg in Germany, they will understand what a police state is.

However, even though there are some overzealous or even racist police officers, some of the predicaments we face are self afflicted. Some of our people like to cut corners, beat the system, and when they're caught, the oyinbo begin to stereotype everyone, we become potential suspects.
Despite all these, UK still offer a better opportunity for you as an "educated" African when you compare it to Germany even though Germany is economically, organizationally and structurally miles ahead of the UK. For instance, it's easier to land an administrative position as an African in the UK than in Germany.
Anyway, the only cure to us being mistreated is to get our country to run. We will earn the respect we crave if our homeland start to show signs of sanity. I'm afraid that might not even happen in my life time considering the situation Nigeria finds itself right now. The mentality of an average Nigerian, the lack of foresight of the political leaders, and the fact that Nigeria has defied reforms that ensure the growth of stable institutions and infrastructures necessary for development among others are very troubling. I wish Nigeria well nonetheless!
That is absolute not true about Germany it might be before but write we are having a lot of africans that have studied and are doing good here in Germany
Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by bigtt76(f): 9:01am On Oct 06, 2015
The post said 'with chains of other businesses in town' grin

gbosaa:

Where did you get this from? "So what is 40m that he can't afford after four years of hustling in London"?

Let's do some maths. Taxi drivers make between £500-£800 a week, let's assume his is very lucrative driving football players to trainings and stuff. He will make up to £1000.
That's £26000-£52000 a year. He has to pay the taxi company every week, but fuel, insurance, pay house rent and other domestic expenses.

So you think he could save N10m or around £30k-£40k per year after expenses. Mind you he has to pay tax. So after four years, assuming he landed from Heathrow and started his cab business the following day having mastered all the driving routes from surfing the net in Nigeria or with the aid of his sat nav,He could save N40m or £130k-£135k after hustling for four years??
Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by ogaju007(m): 9:02am On Oct 06, 2015
Lizabeth25:
True! Buh that doesn't mean we have to kill ourselves in other to achieve our aims!

If somebody start heading to work by 4.30am in some parts of Nigeria, (Lagos precisely) we will say he/she is trying to beat Traffic! Buh abroad nkan? The place people are clamoring for!

Their reason for going to work is they have a system that supports you 24 /7 and these system must be maintained by hard working people on a rota basis. They have a purpose and business justification for every job created so it's not a case of a yoruba graduate working in a bank and having to work long hours for no justified reason. I'm not arguing ooo just supporting my view. wink
Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by bigtt76(f): 9:04am On Oct 06, 2015
You guys stop fighting over nothing. It happens and I guess its out of typo error. 1 Pound is equal to 350 Naira and not 30 Naira grin

coogar:

you are a capital idïot!

60,000 naira will struggle to buy 600 litres of petrol. 2,000 pounds will buy 2,000 litres of petrol. i will rip everything you have learnt in economics into shreds within 30 mins if you permit me. £2,000 pounds is the equivalent of N60,000? i think you need to lie down and reappraise your intelligence quotient.
Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by Nobody: 9:08am On Oct 06, 2015
No sweat.! Thanks though!

ogaju007:
Their reason for going to work is they have a system that supports you 24 /7 and these system must be maintained by hard working people on a rota basis. They have a purpose and business justification for every job created so it's not a case of a yoruba graduate working in a bank and having to work long hours for no justified reason. I'm not arguing ooo just supporting my view. wink
Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by ttmacoy: 9:12am On Oct 06, 2015
Many of such People heading to work at that time in London are usually those doing odd menial jobs like early morning office cleaning.

You also have those coming from outside London and those who work in jobs which require early status e.g shift workers such as rail and transport workers etc.

I remember my student days when I worked at Gap at Oxford Street 6am-10am which means I left home about 5am and after work headed to lectures.

Lizabeth25:

Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by coogar: 9:14am On Oct 06, 2015
manie:
Are you sure, I know a couple of Nigerians in UK who are lookng for 150k per month job in Nigeria, talkless of a Bank manager who earns multiples of that amount and access to multi-million interest free loans.

that is because they probably don't have any job in the UK as we speak. the security guy that works in my office building in the night makes £15/hour. he sometimes work 80-90 hrs per week. you do the math & tell me this dude would prefer N150k job in lagos....
Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by Nobody: 9:15am On Oct 06, 2015
grin grin

Na still Job sha n yet, they will come for hols in Nigeria and be forming another thing!

Mtcheeeeeew! undecided

ttmacoy:
People heading to work at that time in London are usually those doing odd menial jobs like early morning office cleaning and are more often than not illegal immigrants.

Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by OnReflection: 9:16am On Oct 06, 2015
ogaju007:

Kileleyinso?

It is Kile leyi nso, geddit?
Lay off my home base, end off!

1 Like

Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by ogaju007(m): 9:25am On Oct 06, 2015
ttmacoy:
People heading to work at that time in London are usually those doing odd menial jobs like early morning office cleaning and are more often than not illegal immigrants.

I don't think it's educational to generalise or speculate. some people have to prep the rail track before people like you wake up and what's wrong with menial jobs? It puts food on the table, supports dreams. I've met a cleaner that now owns his own cleaning company and earns more than an AGM in Nigeria. I've met a security guard that is now a security consultant for an oil company in Scotland. You see, that exactly is the difference... No matter what job you choose to do, there is always a route to progress. Now Tell me what can a cleaner ve in Nigeria?

4 Likes

Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by justwise(m): 9:26am On Oct 06, 2015
ttmacoy:

Not really true, train and bus drivers starting work at 6am can leave that early so as to beat traffic, people who work in London but live outside London leave that early so as to avoid mad London traffic

1 Like

Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by ogaju007(m): 9:26am On Oct 06, 2015
OnReflection:

It is Kile leyi nso, geddit?
Lay off my home base, end off!

What homebase?
Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by ttmacoy: 9:27am On Oct 06, 2015
Well depending on what they did in Nigeria before the left they may be in the better position doing early morning cleaning e.g. they earn better than most of the so called contract workers in banks in Nigeria.

Also depends on why they are doing it e.g. to stabilise till they get settled etc.

Another thing is many of these people do it to provide a better tomorrow for their children. Yes they may endure the odd jobs but their kids have a lot more opportunities without having to know man.

Lizabeth25:
grin grin

Na still Job sha n yet, they will come for hols in Nigeria and be forming another thing!

Mtcheeeeeew! undecided

Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by OnReflection: 9:28am On Oct 06, 2015
Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by liyahwillie(f): 9:28am On Oct 06, 2015
@op omo this whole thing is too long!!I'm unable to finish reading it ooo(yawns)when I wake up I'll continue...MIZ WILLIE again
Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by Nobody: 9:29am On Oct 06, 2015
kiss kiss

ttmacoy:
Well depending on what they did in Nigeria before the left they may be in the better position doing early morning cleaning e.g. they earn better than most of the so called contract workers in banks in Nigeria.

Also depends on why they are doing it e.g. to stabilise till they get settled etc.

Another thing is many of these people do it to provide a better tomorrow for their children. Yes they may endure the odd jobs but their kids have a lot more opportunities without having to know man.

Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by Nobody: 9:29am On Oct 06, 2015
coogar:

you are a capital idïot!

Hahaha, they have stepped on the Cobras tail, l know coogar will unleash is arsenal of macro-economics when he wakes up tongue
Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by ttmacoy: 9:29am On Oct 06, 2015
I am not looking down on the job tbh just making a point in response to some other post.

Yes you are right there are others like the rail guys etc and I should have said many of.

I believe in dignity in labour and don't care what you do as you are the one who knows what you are working towards

ogaju007:

I don't think it's educational to generalise or speculate. some people have to prep the rail track before people like you wake up and what's wrong with menial jobs? It puts food on the table, supports dreams. I've met a cleaner that now owns his own cleaning company and earns more than an AGM in Nigeria. I've met a security guard that is now a security consultant for an oil company in Scotland. You see, that exactly is the difference... No matter what job you choose to do, there is always a route to progress. Now Tell me what can a cleaner ve in Nigeria?

2 Likes

Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by ttmacoy: 9:31am On Oct 06, 2015
You are right I should have specified that many not all.

justwise:

Not really true, train and bus drivers starting work at 6am can leave that early so as to beat traffic, people who work in London but live outside London leave that early so as to avoid mad London traffic
Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by Shymm3x: 9:37am On Oct 06, 2015
Obiwannn:
two questions. Compare the taxes in the countries you mentioned, I wanna see the least please
Secondly, if the taxi driver can succeed big, how would you rate the prospect of one who studied Engineering for example?

You have to pay a lot of taxes in the UK, depending on ya wages and tax bracket cos the UK is much more organised/civilised than America and the government provides a lot of things like free health care - unlike the US where you have to get ya own health insurance.

I honestly don't know much about the Engineering field in the UK - apart from Civil Engineering. And if you're a civil Engineer, it's very lucrative.
Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by Shymm3x: 9:42am On Oct 06, 2015
adaxxy:
well there are some places in Peckham so decent but there are too many corrupt people and fast laners there even the Jomos are there,I prefer to be in Camberwell to Peckham ,Peckham is rough and you can't bring up a child there even camden is another worse place.

Lol. How's Camberwell different from Peckham? - same place, different post codes (SE15 and SE5) - unless you cross the other side to Coldharbour Lane. And once you're there - you're in Brixton.

Peckham, East Dulwich, Camberwell, Bermondsey (North Southwark), Walworth, and parts of Old Kent Road are one big family. Same people, different post codes. The big brotherhood right there. grin
Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by wizsolzy(m): 9:52am On Oct 06, 2015
Dnt want to leave dis country cus I love naija bt I guess I gat to leave nd come bk some other tym cus its hard living here naaaaa cnt u see
Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by Shymm3x: 10:01am On Oct 06, 2015
OnReflection:

It is best that you draw a line in the sand with your anti-Peckham rhetoric, by concentrating on other matters, before you draw even more inbound fire.

Some of our greatest offerings...

Rio Ferdinand - He has achieved 67 caps for the English national team while being selected for three FIFA World Cup squads.
Peter Mansfield - British physicist who was awarded the 2003 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine for his discoveries concerning magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
Andy McNab - Former British soldier turned novelist. McNab came to public prominence in 1993 when he wrote an account about the failed SAS mission Bravo Two Zero during the Gulf War.
John Boyega - British actor, best known for playing Moses in his 2011 film debut Attack the Block.Boyega will play Finn in the upcoming 2015 film Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
Del Boy - Fictional character in time-honoured British sitcom. A legend of sorts grin

#ReppingForSE15_From_The_Jump

Looool. I see you, Big Uncle from the Southside. grin

They just like throwing shades on the home of the greats - the post code that produced a lot of bravehearts. The story of Nigerians in London will never be complete without SE15 and Southwark council in general. Pecknizzy - the place you mention to folks and by virtue of the name alone, you'd put fear in their hearts. grin Just too many successful people to name.

Anyway, London has changed a lot. I was in Hackney, Dalston, Camden, and Islington not too long ago - and bwoi, I didn't even recognise those places. All the council flats are gone - and a lot of middle class, hippies, and yuppies have moved in. You wouldn't even see that many black folks in those places these days. And all the yardies that used to loiter everywhere are now gone. Id say you're safer in those places than a place like Streatham these days.

Brixton is the same. And Peckham is wearing the same look as well - apart from Rye Lane, where a lot of black people, mostly Caribbeans, Nigerians, and Ghanaians still converge for shopping.

Regardless, I honestly don't know why naij folks just hate the UK, when there are loads of Nigerians in the country and more are still trooping in daily. The immigrant story is the same everywhere in the world. Folks don't expect immigrants to move to a country that isn't theirs and start lording over the owners. At the end of the day - migration is about better lease of life, and once you find a next place to call home with security, some money in ya pocket, and enough food to eat - just be thankful to God. Even Indians who're model immigrants dominate the cab business and pass it from one generation to the other.

And to those screaming America - wait till you hear the bitter truth about Nigerians living in New York, Chicago, and Washington DC for example - then you'd thank God for the UK. At least you can get free health care in the UK, regardless of ya status. You can't get that in America. Yes, the ceiling is higher in America but it's like an advanced third world country. Be poor in America and you'd wish you're dead. I don't even want to talk about Canada cos the cold alone is enough to kill anyone, if you don't have heating. And other European countries are effed up for African immigrants. You've to deal with language barrier and other madness.

If your live is alright in naij - just stay there.

1 Like

Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by OnReflection: 10:22am On Oct 06, 2015
Shymm3x:

Looool. I see you, Big Uncle from the Southside. grin

They just like throwing shades on the home of the greats - the post code that produced a lot of bravehearts. The story of Nigerians in London will never be complete without SE15 and Southwark council in general. Pecknizzy - the place you mention to folks and by virtue of the name alone, you'd put fear in their hearts. grin Just too many successful people to name.

Anyway, London has changed a lot. I was in Hackney, Dalston, Camden, and Islington not too long ago - and bwoi, I didn't even recognise those places. All the council flats are gone - and a lot of middle class, hippies, and yuppies have moved in. You wouldn't even see that many black folks in those places these days. And all the yardies that used to loiter everywhere are now gone. Id say you're safer in those places than a place like Streatham these days.

Brixton is the same. And Peckham is wearing the same look as well - apart Rye Lane, where a lot of black people, mostly Caribbeans, Nigerians, and Ghanaians still converge for shopping.

Regardless, I honestly don't know why naij folks just hate the UK, when there are loads of Nigerians in the country and more are still trooping in daily. The immigrant story is the same everywhere in the world. Folks don't expect immigrants to move to a country that isn't theirs and start lording over the owners. At the end of the day - migration is about better lease of life, and once you find a next place to call home with security, some money in ya pocket, and enough food to eat - just be thankful to God. Even Indians who're model immigrants dominate the cab business and pass it from one generation to the other.

And to those screaming America - wait till you hear the bitter truth about Nigerians living in New York, Chicago, and Washington DC for example - then you'd thank God for the UK. At least you can get free health care in the UK, regardless of ya status. You can't get that in America. Yes, the ceiling is higher in America but it's like an advanced third world country. Be poor in America and you'd wish you're dead. I don't even want to talk about Canada cos the cold alone is enough to kill anyone, if you don't have heating. And other European countries are effed up for African immigrants. You've to deal with language barrier and other madness.

If your live is alright in naij - just stay there.

Bruthaman from the Southside, how you keeping?

Nigerians are just generally disrespectful - we simply don't understand the tradition of paying homage.
Hence you will get folks dropping remarks like "this is no man's land', after some feeble attempt to Columbus a new area grin

At one time, when Nigerians started resettling again, during the dark years of military rule, most of the faceoffs with brethren from Caribbean countries - so called "Jamos" - used to be about 'respect'. The latter felt an average Nigerian had simply come to reap where he had not sown, and in the most disrespectful manner. In all honesty, those "Jamos" had a fair point - well up to a point wink

Cue Nigerians settling in the USA, and you find that the same haughtiness characterises their general demeanour after some time.
Throwing shades is, sadly, a veritable pastime. It reinforces the belief that we are better than Others, never mind the fact that we are all steeped in the same historical struggle.

2 Likes

Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by tpiander: 10:27am On Oct 06, 2015
You should know skin colour is not an automatic guarantee someone shares your struggle.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

See The Two States In Nigeria You Hardly Hear Of / Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? / 5 Friends Die In A Car Accident While Retuning From Nightclub In Port Harcourt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.