Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,575 members, 7,812,871 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:05 PM

NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories - Travel (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories (77033 Views)

Oyinbo Man Spotted Hawking Soft Drinks To Nigerians In UK Traffic / Heathrow Airport Replies Nigerian Over Leaking Airport Roof In London / Ada Onyilokwu Nigerian, Dies In London (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by OnReflection: 10:33am On Oct 06, 2015
tpiander:
You should know skin colour is not an automatic guarantee someone shares your struggle.

^^^True. But then when the chips are down, you are seen as just another IC3.
Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by edwife(f): 10:40am On Oct 06, 2015
All these fresh from the boat people whenever they can't understand the system or things don't seem to work right for them,they spew trash .

Saying that Peckam is in North-London is enough to tell you that the writer is a Joke.

No time trying to convince ignorant peeps,not everyone living in Nigeria is rich just like not everyone living in the Uk is rich.

3 Likes

Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by tpiander: 10:40am On Oct 06, 2015
OnReflection:

^^^True. But then when the chips are down, you are seen as just another IC3.

If chips are down, that's when you know colour and amity are not synonymous.
Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by Shymm3x: 10:55am On Oct 06, 2015
OnReflection:

Bruthaman from the Southside, how you keeping?

Nigerians are just generally disrespectful - we simply don't understand the tradition of paying homage.
Hence you will get folks dropping remarks like "this is no man's land', after some feeble attempt to Columbus a new area grin

At one time, when Nigerians started resettling again, during the dark years of military rule, most of the faceoffs with brethren from Caribbean countries - so called "Jamos" - used to be about 'respect'. The latter felt an average Nigerian had simply come to reap where he had not sown, and in the most disrespectful manner. In all honesty, those "Jamos" had a fair point - well up to a point wink

Cue Nigerians settling in the USA, and you find that the same haughtiness characterises their general demeanour after some time.
Throwing shades is, sadly, a veritable pastime. It reinforces the belief that we are better than Others, never mind the historical struggle we are all steeped in.

I'm good, Sir. I actually thought you went ghost on these sides and I was on a countdown to ghost-mode and everything should come to an end soon.

I wasn't even going to comment on thread till I saw "Peckham in North London" and "2 million Nigerians in the UK". Just had to correct the nonsense and elaborate on how immigrants are the same everywhere. However, that doesn't negate the fact that there are tons of high flyers doing great things. The success story of Nigerian businesses in the UK is a pointer.

Generally, I think Nigerians lack interpersonal/social skills and it's evident when dealing with an average Nigerian - hence other black folks can't stand Nigerians. And that's the honest truth about Nigerians. If anything, Peckham should be the most revered place in the UK by Nigerians. The place opened its doors to tons of Nigerians and it's still the melting point for Nigerians. Peckham's historical influence is something folks ought to adore, especially what it stands for concerning the story of Nigerians in the UK. I've never seen Jamaicans throw shades at Brixton/Handsworth (Birmingham)...on the flipside, they adore those places cos they represent Kingston in the UK and their story in the UK will never be complete without those places.

I still remember a lot of the faceoffs between Caribbeans and Africans (mostly Jamaicans and Ghanaians) in Peckham back in the day. And most people don't even know that a lot of gangs in Peckham started cos of that in Peckham. Peckham made a lot of Caribbeans start respecting Africans and as folks started moving from Peckham to other areas - they were demanding respect and that stopped the unnecessary mugging of Africans by Caribbeans. I remember the days of Tipsy (R.I.P), Kwesi, Knuckles, Timer et al and all the Nigerian/Ghanaian guys in the firehouse crew - these guys fought with everything to earn respect for Africans. Back when you could walk all the way from North Peckham Estate, through Aylesbury Estate in Walworth, and connect Elephant and Castle all via different council estates (they have knocked everything down now). We had our own madness in school when Caribbeans used to come in every Friday to whoop our African arses. Days when you were better off claiming Jamaica than Africa. grin All that changed in Peckham. These folks need to start paying homage.

Nigerians love reaping where they didn't sow and afterwards throw shades at folks at people and places who paved the way for them. The same way they throw shades at Peckham is the same way they throw shades at Caribbeans who created tons of opportunities for black people living in Great Britain. Without Caribbeans fighting with their blood, sweat, and tears - race relations in this country wouldn't be what it's today. And it's the same thing in America between Nigerians and African Americans. Sad. I honestly don't know if it's generational amnesia or Nigerians just lack common sense and the cerebral capacity/capability to acknowledge things and accord respect where it's due.

2 Likes

Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by tpiander: 10:58am On Oct 06, 2015
Mental slavery to your fellow blacks don do una strong thing.
Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by TCann(m): 11:06am On Oct 06, 2015
Eseries:
I can relate with the whole ugly side of living in western world except racial profiling because it exist here too.

[size=20pt]Tell me what's the difference between racism and tribalism?[/size]

Here in Naija I have been judged sentimentally several times because someone sees me as [size=18pt]"omo ibo"[/size]

I deal with the same sh*t in my "own country"!

Hmmm....thought provoking!!!
Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by tpiander: 11:07am On Oct 06, 2015
What is though provoking there?

Are you omo hausa?

Seems your thought process is lodi lodi.
Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by donem: 11:07am On Oct 06, 2015
bebe2:
LONG STORY, cool cool cool

too many nigerians working themselves to death, so they can send money

to some ingrates in naija.

they have forgotten how to enjoy themselves and have fun wink wink wink

come oct 17th the groove is on , if u are in manchester come to my mums 80th birthday party.

no time to check timeooooo grin grin grin grin

Madam you correct, would have loved to be there, but unfortunately can't.

Wish Mumc HBD in advance and successful celebration.
Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by ogaju007(m): 11:14am On Oct 06, 2015
donem:

Lobatan where in Manchester?
Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by Nobody: 11:27am On Oct 06, 2015
bigtt76:
The post said 'with chains of other businesses in town' grin

Did you make any attempt to read the post that I quoted
Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by maysimsimple(m): 11:35am On Oct 06, 2015
tspun:

http://thenationonlineng.net/nigerians-in-london-the-never-told-stories/

Firstly, Peckham is sin South London and North London... I've got over 15 friends in the U.K, I bet, if you have the opportunity to leave this country do so, or stay put at your own peril... Rubbish thread...
Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by ogaju007(m): 11:52am On Oct 06, 2015
Shymm3x:

You have to pay a lot of taxes in the UK, depending on ya wages and tax bracket cos the UK is much more organised/civilised than America and the government provides a lot of things like free health care - unlike the US where you have to get ya own health insurance.

I honestly don't know much about the Engineering field in the UK - apart from Civil Engineering. And if you're a civil Engineer, it's very lucrative.

I got to work late and I blame you grin
Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by bebe2(f): 12:09pm On Oct 06, 2015
donem:

She go hear grin
Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by BOUNTYDOG(m): 12:15pm On Oct 06, 2015
Chuksemi:
This post is soo touching. Living in the United Kingdom as an immigrant is hard, yet financially fulfilling, at least in Nigerian standards. But what exactly is the need for money when you are constantly unhappy and at worse, depressed?
I think it's better to stick with your country and slug it out here After all, we would all die one day, what use is it making so much money you can't enjoy. Even some paupers here lead a better and fulfilling life. Any way, only one who wears the shoe knows where it itches.

Seun, Ishilove, lalasticlala. This post is worth it.
they

If one can get finiancial breakthrough there,then it is worth it,because they live in a working system,good roads electricity,transport system et al works,if you have a good job and can plan your life to structure,you are happier than the stress in 9ja.except for the short tym of buhari,here in Nigeria too police can harras you when the see you running in the morning,the good thing about UK is they talk to you politely and apologise for wasting ur tme after their findings but 9ja police na staton str8 and u must pay bail.
@OP I thought peckam,woolwich,thamesmead was in south london,and northgreenwich,neasden et al are north?
Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by Nobody: 12:24pm On Oct 06, 2015
tobimillar:

Yea I understand and the exchange rate is not helping matters. Send small pounds home and see how somebody's life will change at home.

although owning a car isn't such a big deal in naija anymore, almost everybody owns one now
True. I said Car, not motor lol. Not while I've been working for just a few months though.

I don't stay in London.
Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by Nobody: 12:35pm On Oct 06, 2015
dovelike:

True. I said Car, not motor lol. Not while I've been working for just a few months though.

I don't stay in London.

@ bolded you no gbadun oo grin grin grin , what is the difference between car and motor?

Yea I sure do understand, how is the tax regime where u are? And which city are u?
Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by Ilaje44(m): 12:39pm On Oct 06, 2015
desiji:
That is absolute not true about Germany it might be before but write we are having a lot of africans that have studied and are doing good here in Germany
Well, I should know. I spent 19 years there, and I possess a German degree in Economics. I know a lot of successful, and not so successful people in Germany. Having been a member of different cultural organizations, I should know really! And that's why I still maintain that you have a better chance of landing an administrative positions in the UK than in Germany as an African.

Beside, the German language is not the easiest to learn even if I prefer it to French.
Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by Nobody: 12:50pm On Oct 06, 2015
It is very easy to make money in Nigeria, it's just that some people are financially blind...
Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by Lucasbalo(m): 12:53pm On Oct 06, 2015
Shymm3x:

Looool. I see you, Big Uncle from the Southside. grin

They just like throwing shades on the home of the greats - the post code that produced a lot of bravehearts. The story of Nigerians in London will never be complete without SE15 and Southwark council in general. Pecknizzy - the place you mention to folks and by virtue of the name alone, you'd put fear in their hearts. grin Just too many successful people to name.

Anyway, London has changed a lot. I was in Hackney, Dalston, Camden, and Islington not too long ago - and bwoi, I didn't even recognise those places. All the council flats are gone - and a lot of middle class, hippies, and yuppies have moved in. You wouldn't even see that many black folks in those places these days. And all the yardies that used to loiter everywhere are now gone. Id say you're safer in those places than a place like Streatham these days.

Brixton is the same. And Peckham is wearing the same look as well - apart from Rye Lane, where a lot of black people, mostly Caribbeans, Nigerians, and Ghanaians still converge for shopping.

Regardless, I honestly don't know why naij folks just hate the UK, when there are loads of Nigerians in the country and more are still trooping in daily. The immigrant story is the same everywhere in the world. Folks don't expect immigrants to move to a country that isn't theirs and start lording over the owners. At the end of the day - migration is about better lease of life, and once you find a next place to call home with security, some money in ya pocket, and enough food to eat - just be thankful to God. Even Indians who're model immigrants dominate the cab business and pass it from one generation to the other.

And to those screaming America - wait till you hear the bitter truth about Nigerians living in New York, Chicago, and Washington DC for example - then you'd thank God for the UK. At least you can get free health care in the UK, regardless of ya status. You can't get that in America. Yes, the ceiling is higher in America but it's like an advanced third world country. Be poor in America and you'd wish you're dead. I don't even want to talk about Canada cos the cold alone is enough to kill anyone, if you don't have heating. And other European countries are effed up for African immigrants. You've to deal with language barrier and other madness.

If your live is alright in naij - just stay there.
Hey Shymex, leave US and especially Chicago out of this. Will defend both the same way you defend UK and your Peckham. I grew up in Chitown and love my American way the way you love your Britain. It's the case of whatever rocks your boat.

1 Like

Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by Ilaje44(m): 1:01pm On Oct 06, 2015
Obiwannn:

Nice post. I have heard many people say that about Germany. But when you consider that Germany has a better immigration law, where would you rather immigrate to? I feel it's because the Germans are not used to blacks bossing over them, that's why this discrimination exists

Well, you are not far away from the truth. When Germany used to have colonies, they were known for their brutality as colonialist. And they lost all colonies as a result of World War I. So it's not false that they are not used to "blacks" bossing over them.

Regarding the immigration law, I do not think Germany has a better immigration policy. Infact, the political discussions in Germany has always been dominated by the argument that Germany is not a "classical" migration country like the USA, Canada, or Australia, Argentina etc. to name just a few.

If you're an Engineer, and a very good one, and you have a choice between Germany and the rest of Europe, I'd always suggest Germany. You have a very good career chance as an Engineer or a person who is endowed in the handworks.
Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by Shymm3x: 1:20pm On Oct 06, 2015
Lucasbalo:
Hey Shymex, leave US and especially Chicago out of this. Will defend both the same way you defend UK and your Peckham. I grew up in Chitown and love my American way the way you love your Britain. It's the case of whatever rocks your boat.

Lmao...what's good, bruddah? I haven't seen you for time on these sides. I don't love Britain. I'm just a black man living in Great Britain. But I do love Peckham and South London - that's the place that made me. The home of the brave and my existence in life will always revolve around South London. I don't even need to tell you nor speak for you to know that I'm a South London soldier. So can't let anyone throw shades at the home town...with an atmosphere that's unique and different. Repping that till the death of me, you get me? grin

But you and I know that black folks in Chitown have it very rough on 'em cold streets of Chitown and Nigerians aren't left out of the equation. And their lives are worse than the worst immigrants in the UK. Shyte, I saw Nigerians in New York and I actually felt sorry for some of them. And don't even talk about DC where folks live in a 3rd world slum just down the road from the White House. It's the same shyte everywhere, man. Folks just need to learn to make the best out of wherever they find themselves and give thanks to God. At the end of the day, it's about survival since Africa is a shytehole and paying homage to folks who gave you an opportunity to survive.

1 Like

Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by Shymm3x: 1:26pm On Oct 06, 2015
ogaju007:

I got to work late and I blame you grin

You need to get the alarm bumping.

I used two alarm clocks - one for 5.30 and a next one for 6.00am. And cos I'm used to waking up early, even if I don't set my alarm - I always wake up, regardless of what time I hit the sheets. Sometimes I sleep at 3.00am, depending on what I'm doing or working on, and I'll still wake up at 6.00am latest.

You know you can't mess about with C2C train times (especially the Purfleet-Rainham one), once you miss one - you've to wait for time to get a next one.
Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by Lucasbalo(m): 1:32pm On Oct 06, 2015
Shymm3x:

Lmao...what's good, bruddah? I haven't seen you for time on these sides. I don't love Britain. I'm just a black man living in Great Britain. But I do love Peckham and South London - that's the place that made me. The home of the brave and my existence in life will always revolve around South London. I don't even need to tell you nor speak for you to know that I'm a South London soldier. So can't let anyone throw shades at the home town...with an atmosphere that's unique and different. Repping that till the death of me, you get me? grin

But you and I know that black folks in Chitown have it very rough on 'em cold streets of Chitown and Nigerians aren't left out of the equation. And their lives are worse than the worst immigrants in the UK. Shyte, I saw Nigerians in New York and I actually felt sorry for some of them. And don't even talk about DC where folks live in a 3rd world slum just down the road from the White House. It's the same shyte everywhere, man. Folks just need to learn to make the best out of wherever they find themselves and give thanks to God. At the end of the day, it's about survival since Africa is a shytehole and paying homage to folks who gave you an opportunity to survive.
Got you buddy. I like your passion when it comes to your beloved Peckham. That's the same way I feel about my Uptown section of North Side of Chicago despite the fact that I haven't lived there in almost 20 years. You are correct in the sense that immigrants are the same all over the world. About Chicago cold, no one ever get used to that but you have to play the hands that you were dealt. Have a nice day and I am off to my gigs because I don't want my boss and my girls acting funny. The bills are waiting to be paid. Lol.
Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by Obiwannn: 1:33pm On Oct 06, 2015
Ilaje44:

Well, you are not far away from the truth. When Germany used to have colonies, they were known for their brutality as colonialist. And they lost all colonies as a result of World War I. So it's not false that they are not used to "blacks" bossing over them.

Regarding the immigration law, I do not think Germany has a better immigration policy. Infact, the political discussions in Germany has always been dominated by the argument that Germany is not a "classical" migration country like the USA, Canada, or Australia, Argentina etc. to name just a few.

If you're an Engineer, and a very good one, and you have a choice between Germany and the rest of Europe, I'd always suggest Germany. You have a very good career chance as an Engineer or a person who is endowed in the handworks.
Well, I fault your immigration analysis. Germany has a fair policy for immigrants especially students who wish to stay behind.
As regards the engineering analysis, remaining in Germany would be good, but peeps say you cannot get to the top of your career here no matter your field if you're a black man, and this was also corroborated by your post
Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by Shymm3x: 1:37pm On Oct 06, 2015
Lucasbalo:
Got you buddy. I like your passion when it comes to your beloved Peckham. That's the same way I feel about my Uptown section of North Side of Chicago despite the fact that I haven't leave there in almost 20 years. You are correct in the sense that immigrants are the same all over the world. About Chicago cold, no one ever get used to that but you have to play the hands that you were dealt. Have a nice day and I am off to my gigs because I don't want my boss and my girls acting funny. The bills are waiting to be paid. Lol.

Lmao...bills, bills, bills. I just wish I never grew up cos I hate bills. grin

Gotta represent - too many ties to that great place. When you come out here, I need to take you on a tour around Pecknizzy for some of the best naija dishes, man. And there's a next place where they sell all kinds of fish in the morning from like 4.00am till 7.00am. That's the after club/party spot.

Chirac! No one gets used to cold - unlike you want to die young. grin
Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by Obiwannn: 1:37pm On Oct 06, 2015
Ilaje44:

Well, I should know. I spent 19 years there, and I possess a German degree in Economics. I know a lot of successful, and not so successful people in Germany. Having been a member of different cultural organizations, I should know really! And that's why I still maintain that you have a better chance of landing an administrative positions in the UK than in Germany as an African.

Beside, the German language is not the easiest to learn even if I prefer it to French.

Yeah... Language.. Big barrier.
These persons you know, which of them are engineers and how many got to the very top of their careers?
And since you based in UK now, UK tax VS German Tax, which is worse?
Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by Nobody: 1:56pm On Oct 06, 2015
Lucasbalo:

Thank you for this.

They can't pick on his turf, but he can pick on the US.

If UKs free healthcare is so great how come Brits are the brunt of bad dental hygiene jokes?

I recognize UK and her contribution to the world, the sun never sets on the British empire, my hobby is restoring classic little British cars (mg, Austin, triumph) but I would never put the UK above the US in anything today.

1 Like

Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by Nobody: 2:06pm On Oct 06, 2015
tobimillar:

@ bolded you no gbadun oo grin grin grin , what is the difference between car and motor?

Yea I sure do understand, how is the tax regime where u are? And which city are u?
I still believe that taxation is stealing. I stay in Pennsylvania
Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by Lucasbalo(m): 2:28pm On Oct 06, 2015
Shymm3x:

Lmao...bills, bills, bills. I just wish I never grew up cos I hate bills. grin

Gotta represent - too many ties to that great place. When you come out here, I need to take you on a tour around Pecknizzy for some of the best naija dishes, man. And there's a next place where they sell all kinds of fish in the morning from like 4.00am till 7.00am. That's the after club/party spot.

Chirac! No one gets used to cold - unlike you want to die young. grin
That would be nice because I am thinking of stopping by to see my cousin in Dec. On the way to Nigeria for Xmas. Will reciprocate that by inviting you to beautiful Chicago one of these days. Chicago is truly a beauty despite the crimes in couple of neighborhoods like any big city. Have a good day.
Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by levos2007(m): 2:46pm On Oct 06, 2015
I was coming from work I think around 2 am, I got stopped by a police. Answered every question's they asked; They end up giving a lift.
I don't know if you've ever been to the U.S coz you'd have known racism exist there more than in the UK. Britain is one of the least racial tolerance in the world I think second to Canada.

I've never encountered racist attack here and the locals are very accommodating. Thing is, Africans would always play racism cards no matter if it's unwarranted. One might be walking on the way and the police might just stop them to ask security questions, and Africans will say they're victimised. But even the native Brits are randomly stopped too.

I think it's a complex issue. Drive carelessly and get stop by the police they'd say it's cos of their skin colour. True some are influenced by racial hate but we complain about everything. Just like we employ tribalism and religious bigotry in Nigeria we think Westerners are same.

[/quote]
Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by Nobody: 2:47pm On Oct 06, 2015
piagetskinner:
Just imagine how useless the value of our naira has become. 100 pounds equals 120k. All these menial jobs.. I don't think it's worth it.. A country where one is seen as inferior because of the colour of one's skin... E no better make I jejely de for nigeria, nd make my cool money#i don't have to travel out to be successful. there's a lot here that needs to be exploited

100pounds is #34700 using exchange rate of 347. Its good to travel out but do not make it a life ambition.
Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by Nobody: 2:54pm On Oct 06, 2015
erico2k2:

I like your objective thinking, let me give you a situation of a friend I know,Sold his house N3M,moved to the UK, his younger Bro moved with him, they both went underground and worked in the black labour mkt, doing 12 hours shift daily.cos of the long hours their take home each was always above £1800 monthly so in total they both generate £3600 monthly B4 rent and food and other xpences. rent was £500 cos they both live in one room.the jointly post £1500 home each month thats more than N500k so if they do this for 3 years the would have saved N18M.At teh 4th year they decide to pack up and return back to Nigeria, would you say they have made a wise decision?

What they are doing is nice but #18m is not a huge amount of money.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Study In France - Process And Enquiries Thread / See The Two States In Nigeria You Hardly Hear Of / 5 Friends Die In A Car Accident While Retuning From Nightclub In Port Harcourt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.