Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,738 members, 7,817,030 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:55 PM

NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories (77090 Views)

Oyinbo Man Spotted Hawking Soft Drinks To Nigerians In UK Traffic / Heathrow Airport Replies Nigerian Over Leaking Airport Roof In London / Ada Onyilokwu Nigerian, Dies In London (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by tosyne2much(m): 11:21pm On Oct 05, 2015
AdmiralDru:

Better stop deceiving yourself and wake up to reality. Which Taxi-driver wants to build house in lekki? Don't let anyone deceive you. How much are they making?
My brother, me sef smell exaggeration oooo

1 Like

Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by masterp204: 11:21pm On Oct 05, 2015
There's a saying " people perish for lack of understanding or knowledge".
That's what you get when You board a plane from Nigeria and land your ass in London.
What happened to Manchester, Newcastle and other cities ?
I've been to the uk and am talking from experience.
I've met so many Nigerians who summoned courage to leave London and settle in other cities in the uk and are making more money while paying very little for rent .
I stayed in Sunderland And visited friends in Newcastle and Bradford. These guys (students)do part time jobs , pay their tuition fees and accommodation themselves and still send money home while some folks work their ass off and end up spending their money alone on rents in London.
If you want to make it in the UK please stay away from London. It has been messed up my ur fellow country men that's why the police stops and ask you for documents . They don't try that shit* anywhere in the uk except London.
Also, living in the uk as an illegal immigrant is something you wouldn't want to do because you won't be able to do anything with your life.
As for the taxi matter, I and a friend paid £50 from heathrow to our hotel the last time I visited there. And who says that guy can't make £300 (90,000 naira) everyday. FYI , he owns the car. So while some ppl rant about staying in naija and drinking garri just like I read earlier when you havent traveled and seen things first hand is absolutely your choice, because it's a case of "who no go, no know". You don't judge by the posts & comments you read here. Do your research. Lastly, You'll enjoy your stay in diaspora if you live there legally.
My 2 cents.

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by adaxxy: 11:26pm On Oct 05, 2015
[quote author=divinehand2003 post=38705199][/quote]@divinehand2003 dont listen to MrCork he's a bleeping liar,who dey give him washing machine or dishwasher 95% of London House is serviced apartments equipped with everything and all you need to do as a new tenant is to roll in your luggage and whent packing out roll out your luggage without picking a pin.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by goodgate: 11:26pm On Oct 05, 2015
tobimillar:
I read thru every bit of it and first I must say it a wonderful write up and I am disappointed at nairalander's asking for summary above.. please u guys should learn to read.

@topic isn't it funny that a taxi driver in UK is able to build a house in lekki... that is the reason everybody wants to travel even when they know it's not going to be easy.
A graduate working in civil service or even doctors can't build house in lekki except they do illegal runs or have other private businesses
That Taxi driver is a BIG LIAR even the devil can't match him in LIES,saying he built a house in lekki from taxi driving in Jand. I HEAR!

1 Like

Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by martineverest(m): 11:29pm On Oct 05, 2015
Guess u ve been able to change thought on brits.....its really absurd seeing educated nigerian youth having same mindset with their ancestors.tribalism and sentiments are really killing us as a ppl
ronald4lif:

Not true. You must have been hearing that from Nigerians who happens to be one of the most bigoted people on earth. Just take a look at the way we attack each other's religion and tribe to understand the level of intolerance that exist within us. When someone commits a crime the first thing we look at is their names and place of origin.

This is the same mindset we take abroad. Once there's any questioning or normal remarks made to us we assume it to be because of our skin colour. Not saying racism doesn't exist but it's very low and beside UK has one of most effective legislation that deals with racist remarks.

3 Likes

Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by adaxxy: 11:33pm On Oct 05, 2015
Master204,you are so so on point wink
masterp204:
That's what you get when You board a plane from Nigeria and land your ass in London.
I've met so many Nigerians who summoned courage to leave London and settle in other cities in the uk and are making more money while paying very little for rent .
I stayed in Sunderland And visited friends in Newcastle and Bradford. These guys (students)do part time jobs , pay their tuition fees and accommodation themselves and still send money home while some folks work their ass off and end up spending their money alone on rents in London.
If you want to make it in the UK please stay away from London. It has been messed up my ur fellow country men that's why the police stops and ask you for documents . They don't try that shit* anywhere in the uk except London.
Also, living in the uk as an illegal immigrant is something you wouldn't want to do because you won't be able to do anything with your life.
My 2 cents.

7 Likes

Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by guttentag(m): 11:33pm On Oct 05, 2015
Are u guys trying to discourage me from my traveling to the UK

Holy Ghost Fire Locate whoever dey hold me down

2 Likes

Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by MrCork: 11:34pm On Oct 05, 2015
adaxxy:
Where is MrCork with his stupi.d English,bragging about living in London come and see your mates confessing to the hardship they are faced with,
shiooo.

..CALM DOWN SON...BE NICE TO ME AN I WILL POST U £10 CASH TO BUY SUIT THER IN THST NIGERIA!!(no ofeense) angry

2 Likes

Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by goodgate: 11:38pm On Oct 05, 2015
tspun:
though its hard to believe but it is possible, i am aware of a 4 bedroom duplex that was sold for 40m at
4th Round About, Off World Oil Filling Station, Ilasan Area, Lekki, Lekki Expressway,

So what is 40m that he can't afford after four years of hustling in London.
That's true houses are even cheaper in Agungi,Igboefon and Idado but that Taxi guy dey lie abeg, or you think houses will still be of thier same old prices after 4 years? If he actually buikt the lekki house from cab driving, i bet pride and his ego would have made him quit.

1 Like

Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by adaxxy: 11:38pm On Oct 05, 2015
goodgate:
That Taxi driver is a BIG LIAR even the devil can't match him in LIES,saying he built a house in lekki from taxi driving in Jand. I HEAR!
my dear its possible,I took a cab from Heathrow with other Nigerian guy I don't know how much he collected from other guy but he collected £70 from me and that was 2013 to Gatwick he introducted me to his family and they are living fine in their own house at Victoria not far from Chalton.

5 Likes

Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by Nobody: 11:40pm On Oct 05, 2015
MrCork:

..CALM DOWN SON...BE NICE TO ME AN I WILL POST U £10 CASH TO BUY SUIT THER IN THST NIGERIA!!(no ofeense) angry
abeg give me d cash if u r truthful (tongue-in-cheek)
Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by Shymm3x: 11:41pm On Oct 05, 2015
MsNas:

But I've not heard any law enforcement officer just walk over to you and ask you to show your papers; when you have not done anything. How are you though? Long time no see grin

Lol. They don't ask folks to "show your papers" in the UK. The UKBA thing you sound on YouTube is something they just do randomly from time to time, just like they do in the US with Mexicans - nothing serious. The only difference is that black people aren't more than 3% of the UK's population, unlike US where AAs make up about 13% and it's easier to differentiate a black person from the UK from an immigrant, by just the way folks dress and mannerism - without even hearing them speak. Hence during the random checks (only in isolated cases), they tend to spot immigrants easily. And folks don't even get deported like that from the UK (The EU laws protect most people) - they just keep them in detention camps and allow them to seek asylum...and after a while the overwhelming majority of them always get released.

Also, whatever the OP wrote up there is the same for all Nigerians living in foreign countries not just the UK. A lot of Nigerians just like picking on the UK for reasons I'll never understand.

- Cab drivers: I'd even wager that there are more Nigerian cab drivers in the US (based on what I know and I've seen) than in the UK. I've never seen a Nigerian black cab driver, or even a proper cab company owned by a Nigerian in the UK - apart from a few part time private hire here and there, and those who do the airport cabbie. But in the US - there are loads of yellow cab drivers in New York City that are Nigerians. And that's just New York alone.

- Nurses and care workers: it's the same everywhere, from UK, to US, to Canada, to Australia. These countries need people in that field - and a lot of Nigerian immigrants, especially females work there. Big deal?

- Security: it's the same everywhere.

The problem is that these folks won't focus on the tons of Nigerian professionals/academics and gazillion of Nigerian business thriving in the UK. I don't think there's any Nigerian diaspora community with more thriving businesses than we've in the UK. Nigerians are everywhere.

Don't even get me started on the young Nigerians doing big things in the UK - making that pounds sterling and living large.

These folks just hate the UK. grin

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by adaxxy: 11:42pm On Oct 05, 2015
MrCork:

mess you I'm proud of my country ,no be you go dey pack shit over there and you no even fit upgrade your stupid English,olodo oshi

1 Like

Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by joyli: 11:44pm On Oct 05, 2015
God bless America oo, paper or no paper you good , but no room for lazy pple cheesy wink

5 Likes

Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by adaxxy: 11:46pm On Oct 05, 2015
guttentag:
Are u guys trying to discourage me from my traveling to the UK

Holy Ghost Fire Locate whoever dey hold me down
U.k is not that bad all you need to be is your home assignment here and for your Information dont let them know you have money ooo because they will see the end of it before they show you their real colour
Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by 50calibre(m): 11:46pm On Oct 05, 2015
Lolz I never knew Peckham has been geographically moved from south to north... Bravo!! Haha im not even going to waste my time tackling the many inaccuracies in this half-thrash.

This report paints a very bleak prospect for African migrants in London, as if to say life in Africa is anything close to good or modest. The fact of the matter is many of these so called "woes of London" are greatly exaggerated. There's no denying that life in London can be sometimes hard for some people (even white Brits aren't exempt) however it would be delusional to compare a civilised 21st century society in the U.K to the horrors and suffering that abounds in Africa, the value of life in both places is in very sharp contrast.

All these talk of racism, hardship bla bla bla are very misleading. Racism does exist in the UK, however covertly & in very minute quanities. I can't take the accusation of police racial/ethnic profiling seriously because haven spent most of my life in the UK, never have I been stopped, searched or questioned when out & about. The police are trained to read suspicious body language and when they feel you could be a person of interest, they'd stop you.

Now is that to say that racial profiling doesn't exist in the UK? Absolutely not!! It does exist but in very rare doses. As a matter of fact if you feel you've been racially profiled, you could choose to make a formal complaint & best believe your case would be pursued vigorously. I can't however say the same of the Nigerian police who in fact constitute one of the biggest threats to life.

If you're looking to amass wealth overnight, the U.K. Isn't for you but if you're looking to make an honest living and live in peace, security & dignity then look no further than the U.K.

12 Likes

Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by goodgate: 11:47pm On Oct 05, 2015
adaxxy:
my dear its possible,I took a cab from Heathrow with other Nigerian guy I don't know how much he collected from other guy but he collected £70 from me and that was 2013 to Gatwick he introducted me to his family and they are living fine in their own house at Victoria not far from Chalton.
Brother, living well has levels ooh,but that's still different from building a house in Lekki not Mowe Sango or Ikorodu.
Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by tosyne2much(m): 11:47pm On Oct 05, 2015
ronald4lif:

I don't know if you've ever been to the U.S coz you'd have known racism exist there more than in the UK. Britain is one of the least racial tolerance in the world I think second to Canada.

I've never encountered racist attack here and the locals are very accommodating. Thing is, Africans would always play racism cards no matter if it's unwarranted. One might be walking on the way and the police might just stop them to ask security questions, and Africans will say they're victimised. But even the native Brits are randomly stopped too.

I think it's a complex issue. Drive carelessly and get stop by the police they'd say it's cos of their skin colour. True some are influenced by racial hate but we complain about everything. Just like we employ tribalism and religious bigotry in Nigeria we think Westerners are same.

My biggest boss has spoken cool
Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by Shymm3x: 11:47pm On Oct 05, 2015
OnReflection:

Those folks at CanUK just love conjuring figures out of thin air.
Someone had better explain to them that a figure of 2 million means: 1 in every 30 people you meet anywhere in the UK is a Nigerian. shocked

Wait, I thought we trashed this one out before. Lol

Lol. 2 million Nigerians in the Uk.

if there are 2 million Nigerians in the UK, there should be 1.8 million Ghanaians, 1 million Congolese, 4 million Caribbeans, and 4.2 million other blacks. That will make the total population of black folks in the UK to be 13 million out of the 60 million folks in the country. Bwahahahahahahahahaa. grin

Black folks aren't even up to 3 million in the UK - these folks just throw numbers around like fools.
Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by MrCork: 11:48pm On Oct 05, 2015
adaxxy:
mess you I'm proud of my country ,no be you go dey pack shit over there and you no even fit upgrade your stupid English,olodo oshi

...I bet u thet in nigeris sittin under mango tree right now dreamin of our London... I lie?(no ofeense) undecided

1 Like

Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by MrCork: 11:50pm On Oct 05, 2015
...see this homebase people talkin about London like they bein outter nigeria......wr the Londoners r not complanin..but its the homebase ones naggin! embarassed

1 Like

Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by ogaju007(m): 11:58pm On Oct 05, 2015
Good write up and I must say, you're indeed right however the story is one sided as it doesn't reflect ordinary people that left Nigeria for the UK and have worked their way up.I think your story is based on people residing in a particular part of London. Need I say, there are other places in London other than Peckham or South East in general.

We have a lot of successful stories of ordinary people doing good and I think it's good to get a balance of the 2.

Wherever you are, remember it's not the place that makes you, it's what you make of the place. The opportunities here are endless and if you have papers and you choose to work in a supermarket then that's another story. some people have never been stopped by the police in the over 10 years that they've been here.

Just like anywhere in the world including Naija, you need to hustle your way up (Legitimately).

Next time you're in London, take a little trip to Canary wharf, Bank, Fenchurch and you will be proud of your Nigerian brothers and sisters.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by ewizard1: 12:01am On Oct 06, 2015
divinehand2003:
Although very long, but it's a lesson for us over here. Not all that glitters is Gold. Home is best if you have a steady job that pays well.
Yes, only the bolded!

Nigeria is not helping at all! Kudos to that Eke guy!

1 Like

Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by Shymm3x: 12:04am On Oct 06, 2015
ogaju007:
Good write up and I must say, you're indeed right however the story is one sided as it doesn't reflect ordinary people that left Nigeria for the UK and have worked their way up.I think your story is based on people residing in a particular part of London. Need I say, there are other places in London other than Peckham or South East in general.

We have a lot of successful stories of ordinary people doing good and I think it's good to get a balance of the 2.

Wherever you are, remember it's not the place that makes you, it's what you make of the place. The opportunities here are endless and if you have papers and you choose to work in a supermarket then that's another story. some people have never been stopped by the police in the over 10 years that they've been here.

Just like anywhere in the world including Naija, you need to hustle your way up (Legitimately).

Next time you're in London, take a little trip to Canary wharf, Bank, Fenchurch and you will be proud of your Nigerian brothers and sisters.

You lot just chat shyte - Peckham and South East London have produced more successful black folks in the UK than anywhere else. And a lot of them still live there, albeit the better areas and towards London-Kent. And around London-Essex as well.

And who lives in Bank and Fenchurch St, apart from work? You sound clueless as well. Also, most of the Nigerians who live in Canary Wharf are fraudsters. Just discuss the topic and stop throwing names of places you don't know around.
Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by ogaju007(m): 12:10am On Oct 06, 2015
Shymm3x:

You lot just chat shyte - Peckham and South East London have produced more successful black folks in the UK than anywhere else. And a lot of them still live there, albeit the better areas and towards London-Kent. And around London-Essex as well.

And who lives in Bank and Fenchurch St, apart from work? You sound clueless as well. Also, most of the Nigerians who live in Canary Wharf are fraudsters. Just discuss the topic and stop throwing names of places you don't know around.

Hello, no need to be rude. At no point did I mention that people live in canary wharf. Read my statement again and by the way Nigerians live in Canary Wharf that are not fraudulent. Peckham might have produced 1 or 2 great minds however, it's still a place I personally wouldn't think of residing.

4 Likes

Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by ewizard1: 12:12am On Oct 06, 2015
Lolz...

Its now Nigerians @ Home vs Nigerians in Diaspora

#EasyJoor grin grin grin
Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by Shymm3x: 12:16am On Oct 06, 2015
ogaju007:

Hello, no need to be rude. At no point did I mention that people live in canary wharf. Read my statement again and by the way Nigerians live in Canary Wharf that are not fraudulent. Peckham might have produced 1 or 2 great minds however, it's still a place I personally wouldn't think of residing.

There are actually high end flats in Canary Wharf (not in the proper complex where all the companies are but part of Canary Wharf) where people live. And majority of Nigerian folks living there are fraudsters, or those who looted naija's money. Nigerians who work in Canary Wharf and earn legit money don't live there. Even the white folks who work in Canary Wharf don't live there - most of them live outside London.

No one asked you to live in Peckham and I doubt you can afford to live there anyway. But stop talking about what you know nothing about.

About Nigerians in Bank and Fenchurch St. - bwahahahahaha. You mean they have converted all the offices there into residential buildings, no? grin Stop googling crap.
Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by TrollTrap: 12:19am On Oct 06, 2015
The ignorance emanating from this thread is nauseating...
This issue of diaspora (UK always targeted) has been overflogged bare times angry

Bottom line: do you lemme do me

1 Like

Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by ogaju007(m): 12:25am On Oct 06, 2015
Shymm3x:

There are actually high end flats in Canary Wharf (not in the proper complex where all the companies are but part of Canary Wharf) where people live. And majority of Nigerian folks living there are fraudsters, or those who looted naija's money. Nigerians who work in Canary Wharf and earn legit money don't live there. Even the white folks who work in Canary Wharf don't live there - most of them live outside London.

No one asked you to live in Peckham and I doubt you can afford to live there anyway. But stop talking about what you know nothing about.

About Nigerians in Bank and Fenchurch St. - bwahahahahaha. You mean they have converted all the offices there into residential buildings, no? grin Stop googling crap.

Each one to his own opinion. Your debate style shows your thought process. I repeat the OP should visit those places and realise not every Nigerian is a supermarket or Peckham class. The opportunities are there for anyone that sees it. If you actually live in UK, you are a proof that you can take an animal out of the bush but most times can never take the bush out of the animal. There is a difference between discussion and argument.

6 Likes

Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by adaxxy: 12:26am On Oct 06, 2015
goodgate:
Brother, living well has levels ooh,but that's s.till different from building a house in Lekki not Mowe Sango or Ikorodu.
that particular area he bought were newly built I mean house and not 3bedroom flat,
The floor is living room dinning room visitors toilets and store while up is 5rooms and 2bathrooms and toilets.
Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by ogaju007(m): 12:34am On Oct 06, 2015
masterp204:
As for the taxi matter, I and a friend paid £50 from heathrow to our hotel the last time I visited there. And who says that guy can't make £300 (90,000 naira) everyday. FYI , he owns the car. So while some ppl rant about staying in naija and drinking garri just like I read earlier when you havent traveled and seen things first hand is absolutely your choice, because it's a case of "who no go, no know". You don't judge by the posts & comments you read here. Do your research. Lastly, You'll enjoy your stay in diaspora if you live there legally.
My 2 cents.

You nailed it. Living outside gives you a better saving margin than living in London.
Re: NIGERIANS IN LONDON The Never Told Stories by Shymm3x: 12:34am On Oct 06, 2015
ogaju007:

Each one to his own opinion. Your debate style shows your thought process. I repeat the OP should visit those places and realise not every Nigerian is a supermarket or Peckham class. The opportunities are there for anyone that sees it. If you actually live in UK, you are a proof that you can take an animal out of the bush but most times can never take the bush out of the animal. There is a difference between discussion and argument.

You're an idiot. I'm from Peckham, and South East London. If you're not an illiterate villager - you'd know that Peckham is part of Southwark council. Southwark extends all the way to SE1 that borders both the City of London (where Bank is) and Tower Hamlets (where both Docklands and Canary Wharf are located) - and Dulwich (a nice area) is also part of Southwark. And some of the priciest real estate in the UK are in SE1. You wouldn't know that, would you?

South East London is massive and there are loads of nice areas there...so why post nonsense and cite places where people don't live? I know for a fact that you have never been to the UK and you're one of those stupid Nigerians who hear silly stories and spam them everywhere as the truth, you vacuous pleb. Just shut ya gob. I don't know why you lot will never leave Peckham alone and find a next place for ya fables, myths, legends, for fvck sake.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

See The Two States In Nigeria You Hardly Hear Of / Should I Move To The UK Or Return To Nigeria? / 5 Friends Die In A Car Accident While Retuning From Nightclub In Port Harcourt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.