Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,750 members, 7,824,158 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:14 AM

Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! (23453 Views)

80k Job In Sokoto Or Relocate To Abuja To Hustle Please Advice. / 7 Ways To Make Money Online Without Being Scammed… / I Think I've Been Scammed.. Please What Can I Do? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by chelseabmw(m): 11:06am On Oct 05, 2015
You've answered your question

You trust him right? Why do you need our help?
Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by jesussaves22: 11:06am On Oct 05, 2015
May be may be not. Is there anyway you can verify the authenticity of his claim before paying for the money
Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by mployer(m): 11:06am On Oct 05, 2015
Somebody is impersonating your friend to scam You.

2 Likes

Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by currentprice: 11:06am On Oct 05, 2015
the ministerial list mention make it a fraud,,,, be careful brother

1 Like

Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by CashVessel(m): 11:06am On Oct 05, 2015
Sylver247:
Fellow Nairalanders, I am the op of the thread on "How have you been surviving without a job?"
I have a friend who works with Shell, hes actually a childhood friend we grew up together. We have been apart for long cos he works in Warri while I reside in Lagos.
Recently we hooked up again via Facebook and we got talking on phone about life and all. Told him my jobless situation and he got very concerned about my plight. He promised to do something about it cos I was very open with him, didn't hide or form. He requested for my CV which I quickly edited, refined and wired to his email. He said he would submit it to some senior people in Shell.

About a month later he called me and told me something has come up. That there is 6 a year contract job that will be coming up in October and that I need to acquire a particular training (HUET) without which I can't work in the upstream. He said its normally free but the man in charge of recruiting people said since am just a referral, I have to pay for the training. He said the training is 65k which I confirmed and its true.

Now he promised to pay part of the training fee (40k) for me and said I should take care of the remainder.
I trust this guy (he is my very good friend from same community) but you know people can change suddenly.

I just need advice from people who know about this kind of stuff, if its possible or not. Its small money (25k) but I wouldn't want to be scammed off the little money am surviving with as am currently managing myself. I don't even have the money now but I can run round and get it.
He told me they are waiting for Buhari to announce his cabinet before the project starts and that he will call me.

Please advice me should I give it a shot?

davide470 uboma lalasticlala

From what you said so far, there's nothing to be suspicious about. HUET is about 70k like you said depending on the company. 25k is nothing compared to what you want, except you don't trust the guy of course.

2 Likes

Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by igwedaboss(m): 11:06am On Oct 05, 2015
@OP
Please do your research and findings well. I cannot categorically tell you one now(in nscdc voice), but from what I've heard, its true that certain courses are needed before you can get a job in the likes of shell. Ask for the institution that host such degrees. Go to them and do your findings, don't pay to an individual.

Or
Use linkedin
Meet shell workers, young ones, if you lucky they will reply you.

All the best. I wish it's true and comes to reality.

2 Likes

Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by Pidggin(f): 11:06am On Oct 05, 2015
Big scam, if you like yourself, just ignore.
Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by Spikkylee: 11:06am On Oct 05, 2015
chidamysy:
Una no dey tire undecided undecided
Itz called book marking
Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by Spikkylee: 11:07am On Oct 05, 2015
chidamysy:
Itz called book marking
Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by dlex21(m): 11:07am On Oct 05, 2015
if truly he works in shell, he can pay the whole 65k na and when you get the job, if can pay him back double sef.

Remember, eni to mo yan lon pa yan(na person wey sabi you dey kill you)..

My 2kobo

2 Likes

Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by enigmagu1(m): 11:07am On Oct 05, 2015
Chai!
Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by Loonyy(m): 11:08am On Oct 05, 2015
A friend of mine went through the same ordeal last year immediately after her NYSC, but hers was Exxon mobil in Uyo n the case was HSE of which she paid 60k and till date she hasn't heard from Exxon not to talk of Mobil, my advice is u should trade cautiously yes 25k is small yet is ur hand earned coin so make proper investigations before engagement. All the same best wishes n Goodluck... Unemployment go cause something one day for this naija!

2 Likes

Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by hyfr(m): 11:08am On Oct 05, 2015
OrIandoOwoh:
Take the money from the south and take it to the north..b00hari

Make sure you take the money from the south and take it to the north... b00hari

Keep making sure the above is done..b00hari

Just keep making sure...b00hari

I would've said u lack common sense but your ability to be on FTC contradicts that, I'll just say use your sense

2 Likes

Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by ugbah007: 11:08am On Oct 05, 2015
My instinct tells me it's no scam,the money is not much.I think what you should do is to confirm if he is really working with shell,life is full of risk,so risk it oga.
Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by SwissGeneva(m): 11:09am On Oct 05, 2015
Guy this trick is common in Warri axis. So your very good friend works for Shell and can't pay 65k for you? Shine you eye.

2 Likes

Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by aol(m): 11:09am On Oct 05, 2015
Are you sure this your friend is still working with shell as claimed?

if so let him pay for you,if he can pay 40k for you 25k can't be much for him to pay..remember he was your childhood friend and we both know a lot of things has changed while y'all apart.. let him pay all and you will pay him back when your employ..

the 25k might look so small but bro the same 25k dey pay big bills.

be wise.

3 Likes

Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by AdemolaA2: 11:09am On Oct 05, 2015
chidamysy:
NO SIR/MA!!!
Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by Nobody: 11:09am On Oct 05, 2015
Bcole:
Bros if you cant trust him then don't call him your friend, doesn't seem like a scam to me, if he wanted to scam you he would have asked you to pay all of it or offered to pay a lesser amount..give it a trial...

See this learner grin
Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by Cway86(f): 11:09am On Oct 05, 2015
Bcole:
Bros if you cant trust him then don't call him your friend, doesn't seem like a scam to me, if he wanted to scam you he would have asked you to pay all of it or offered to pay a lesser amount..give it a trial...

Are u sure u are not the scammer? Keep it nature will catch up with u some day.

My dear op. Don't be deceive don't fall a victim nothing is going on at shell for now. Shine ur eyes. A word is enough for dey wise.
Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by OrIandoOwoh(m): 11:10am On Oct 05, 2015
hyfr:
I would've said u lack common sense but your ability to be on FTC contradicts that, I'll just say use your sense

Take the money from the south and take it to the
north..b00hari
Make sure you take the money from the south and
take it to the north... b00hari
Keep making sure the above is done..b00hari
Just keep making sure...b00hari
Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by obstead200(m): 11:10am On Oct 05, 2015
dontmention:
Best option is for You to go see things for Yourself b4 sending any money.
simple and Short!!! @ OP, if can afford to pay 25k, then u can afford to take a trip down to warri to verify things for urself.
as someone pointed out, the easiest pple to scam in Naija today are job seekers.

2 Likes

Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by Nobody: 11:13am On Oct 05, 2015
if truly u av confirmed dat he works wit shell, my guy pay d moni joor. he even tried to offer to pay 40 wen hm no b ur papa.jst confirm if truly he works der.thats d most important tin.
Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by obstead200(m): 11:14am On Oct 05, 2015
Bcole:
You are either the original scammer or u must be a learner in the harsh realities of life.

2 Likes

Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by Nobody: 11:15am On Oct 05, 2015
As a former G-guy wey I be grin,bro u are in process of being a victim of local scam.

3 Likes

Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by kkboy(m): 11:16am On Oct 05, 2015
Simple. Thank him and send your account Number to him so that he can pay in the 40k so that you can make-up the balance and pay directly to the trainer. If he try to object, Tell him you are getting the money from an uncle who is doubtful and you want to use that money paid in by him to convince that your uncle to give you the balance. His reaction on this will speak volume. Good luck

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by musicwriter(m): 11:17am On Oct 05, 2015
Sylver247:
Fellow Nairalanders, I am the op of the thread on "How have you been surviving without a job?"
I have a friend who works with Shell, hes actually a childhood friend we grew up together. We have been apart for long cos he works in Warri while I reside in Lagos.
Recently we hooked up again via Facebook and we got talking on phone about life and all. Told him my jobless situation and he got very concerned about my plight. He promised to do something about it cos I was very open with him, didn't hide or form. He requested for my CV which I quickly edited, refined and wired to his email. He said he would submit it to some senior people in Shell.

About a month later he called me and told me something has come up. That there is 6 a year contract job that will be coming up in October and that I need to acquire a particular training (HUET) without which I can't work in the upstream. He said its normally free but the man in charge of recruiting people said since am just a referral, I have to pay for the training. He said the training is 65k which I confirmed and its true.

Now he promised to pay part of the training fee (40k) for me and said I should take care of the remainder.
I trust this guy (he is my very good friend from same community) but you know people can change suddenly.

I just need advice from people who know about this kind of stuff, if its possible or not. Its small money (25k) but I wouldn't want to be scammed off the little money am surviving with as am currently managing myself. I don't even have the money now but I can run round and get it.
He told me they are waiting for Buhari to announce his cabinet before the project starts and that he will call me.

Have you considered the possibility you may actually be talking to someone else and not your friend?

1 Like

Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by Amhappy(f): 11:19am On Oct 05, 2015
The last time i checked SAS/HUET is between 60-70k. If you want to do the training go to Tolman at Transamadi if you are in PH;you can even go for BOSIET direct sef. Tolman is OPITO certified and their certificate is accepted by Shell and most IOCs. Certificate will be valid for 3years sef. So in that case there will be no scam(since you don't trust your friend) and you will be ready for that contract.

3 Likes

Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by Nobody: 11:20am On Oct 05, 2015
Guy, HUET is part of safety courses normally required for offshore personnel, others may include BOSIET, OPITO, H2S, etc., based on location.

HUET is not a single course but in some cases, others may be waived - sooo many reasons.

To prove your friend right or wrong, don't pay to him nor to any other proxies, ask for the Training School, if you are in PH or Warri ask for the training school make sure you pay only to training school, if ever you didnt get the job,your HUET is valid for 2years.

Good luck bro

4 Likes

Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by kobe79: 11:21am On Oct 05, 2015
kkboy:
Simple. Thank him and send your account Number to him so that he can pay in the 40k so that you can make-up the balance and pay directly to the trainer. If he try to object, Tell him you are getting the money from an uncle who is doubtful and you want to use that money paid in by him to convince that your uncle to give you the balance. His reaction on this will speak volume. Good luck

grin grin grin grin ole catch ole

correct guy

3 Likes

Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by 9jatriot(m): 11:22am On Oct 05, 2015
Sylver247:

Forgive me, I have not seen anywhere he said you should give him the money. If someone is willing to pay part of your training fee and he did not request you give him the money, why not identify the training institute and you both pay the cash direct to the institute and you go for the training.
HUET is usually a requirement for offshore jobs.

Not all that is gold glitters and not all that is gold glitters.

1 Like

Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by 400billionman: 11:22am On Oct 05, 2015
Lesgupnigeria:
Why exposing yourself to scam looking for underpaid job and not creating your own job

check my articles to see how you can earn huge money starting your plantain farm

Mr Lesgup..

Mr Plantain. I hail..
Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by Chris95(m): 11:23am On Oct 05, 2015
Op ur unbelievable .. Ur friend wants 2 help u nd ur here being al suspicious nd wat nt.... Shebi u said he works in an oil company unless dts a lie I dnt see any reason he wuld want 2 scam u 4 25k!!! Nigga, sumpple wuld pay a 100k 2 work in a Coy nd ur hia being stupid... Uve jux med me so vexed... Dis is da reason uve nt gotten a job ur scared 2 tek risks...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Help Me Urgently Before I Lose My N-power Opportunity / Fed Up With My N45k/month Job. / CDCFIB Shortlisted Candidates For NIS & NSCDC Recruitment Aptitude Test 2020

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.