Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,018 members, 7,818,014 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:29 AM

Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! (23445 Views)

80k Job In Sokoto Or Relocate To Abuja To Hustle Please Advice. / 7 Ways To Make Money Online Without Being Scammed… / I Think I've Been Scammed.. Please What Can I Do? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by menix(m): 11:54am On Oct 05, 2015
@sylver247..

Life is all about risk, will advise u travel down to warri to confirm things urself..

Met a dude last year in an Oil firm, he was so nice collected my CV with the help of assisting me.

Infact when I got home that day, I sent him Recharge Pin to show how nice he was.

Fast Forward, a month later he called that he has got a better offer in another company nd they still need people buh I have to pay the community relations guy for the job.

With the trust I had, I paid Infact paid again to show how I trusted him.

Buh wat happened, it was all scam cous I decided to pay a visit to his supposedly former company, behold see the idiot.

He started begging that his Twins were at the verge of dieing, so he needed money to off set their medical bill.

So be careful with the way u say I trust him, thou I didn't regret my actions cous in life you take risk.

1 Like

Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by eleko1: 11:54am On Oct 05, 2015
U are too small.U lack comprehension.Reread the post over again and the rubbish U write here.Mind U,I dnt engage/exchange banter with a lil kid.Tenk U
kkboy:

The difference is that you attended secondary school, while i attended grammar school. The difference is 7up!!!!!
Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by Dyt(f): 11:55am On Oct 05, 2015
Sylver247
Can you introduce me to that your friend?
I can actually help you investigate

1 Like

Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by kinibigdeal(m): 11:59am On Oct 05, 2015
Let's work things out here systematically(Bro, play along smartly without paying a dime). You know what! You've got to pretend first that you cannot afford the money since you currently don't have a job, plead with him to raise you that you gotta pay him back. Moreso, strike a deal with him that if you get the job, you gotta reimburse him with a certain percentage. You have to be highly attentive to is response while perceiving is cognitive thought. If he get angry in the process using vague words in the process, it will give you a clue but if he agrees to pay without no evidential fact, be careful because he may ask you to pay a final mandatory fee to tip some staffs. One thing is vital to mention, the only recognize HSE training centre recognized by the oil sector is NIBOSH(Britain) not even OSHA(American). Visit any of this companies website and you will see their accredited external training centres. However, most oil company will only recommend a training centre to you without asking you to pay any amount. Be smart!!

1 Like

Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by Franzinni: 12:00pm On Oct 05, 2015
Solution

He is your childhood friend so... Go and pay him a visit, it shows seriousness that you are on ground there with him

While there you can confirm all you need to be sure he is legit.

Don't pay the money over a transfer .

25k is not chicken change in any body's book. People have been lynched for less. So don't mind all the commenters saying take the risk and pay. If you will pay ... Pay wisely.

1 Like

Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by mcprince32(m): 12:02pm On Oct 05, 2015
Pray and even fast if you'r a christian, allow God speak, mostly, ask him to settle it for u, or borrow. Don't pay.
Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by tonjeola(m): 12:04pm On Oct 05, 2015
Sylver247:
Fellow Nairalanders, I am the op of the thread on "How have you been surviving without a job?"
I have a friend who works with Shell, hes actually a childhood friend we grew up together. We have been apart for long cos he works in Warri while I reside in Lagos.
Recently we hooked up again via Facebook and we got talking on phone about life and all. Told him my jobless situation and he got very concerned about my plight. He promised to do something about it cos I was very open with him, didn't hide or form. He requested for my CV which I quickly edited, refined and wired to his email. He said he would submit it to some senior people in Shell.

About a month later he called me and told me something has come up. That there is 6 a year contract job that will be coming up in October and that I need to acquire a particular training (HUET) without which I can't work in the upstream. He said its normally free but the man in charge of recruiting people said since am just a referral, I have to pay for the training. He said the training is 65k which I confirmed and its true.

Now he promised to pay part of the training fee (40k) for me and said I should take care of the remainder.
I trust this guy (he is my very good friend from same community) but you know people can change suddenly.

I just need advice from people who know about this kind of stuff, if its possible or not. Its small money (25k) but I wouldn't want to be scammed off the little money am surviving with as am currently managing myself. I don't even have the money now but I can run round and get it.
He told me they are waiting for Buhari to announce his cabinet before the project starts and that he will call me.

Please advice me should I give it a shot?

davide470 uboma lalasticlala
bro becareful, a friend of mine was scammed N50k, using this same trick, although my friend was job,
a old school mate, they had not seen for long too, met again in Lagos, he promised to get my friend a secured job in PH once he get back there, after some weeks, he called that where he worked has a vacancy, but for him to secure the space, he need 50k to settle their Admin staff, after sending the cash, he stop picking my friend call. till today, no job, no refund and phone no dey go again. so abeg, this trick na old stuff, shine your eye shocked shocked shocked

2 Likes

Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by Franzinni: 12:05pm On Oct 05, 2015
franksam2009:
Op stop acting like a Yoruba man, business is a risk, u risk before you gain, even If u fail, u learn your lesson and keep on trying till u succeed.
Nice you have just spoken like a brilliant fool with tribalistic zombie mindlessness.

2 Likes

Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by lastpage: 12:08pm On Oct 05, 2015
ollah1:
The easiest people to scam in nigeria today are job seekers

...and that shows our level of wickedness and depravity!

Why should we add to the burden of someone who is already at tethers end?

Even if we cant help, cant we just wish the person well and move on?

Why are we so wicked, as a people? What is in our DNA that makes such "evil deeds" appear normal to some people? Why do we prey on the suffering and desperation of weaker ones?
There are crimes but there are some that if "Sango" hear abut it, Thunder should strike the perpetrator down immediately!

Hmmm... God is just too merciful and patient sha.

Lastpage!

BTW: Please tell these "islamic fundamentalist Moderators" @Seun has employed, to get off my Profile!
I am not a Muslim and will never be! Religion is not by force

2 Likes

Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by ipain: 12:09pm On Oct 05, 2015
Lol. OP hUEt is real o.
Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by WhiZTiM(m): 12:10pm On Oct 05, 2015
Sylver247:

I have a friend who works with Shell, hes actually a childhood friend we grew up together. We have been apart for long cos he works in Warri while I reside in Lagos.
Recently we hooked up again via Facebook and we got talking on phone about life and all. Told him my jobless situation and he got very concerned about my plight. He promised to do something about it cos I was very open with him, didn't hide or form. He requested for my CV which I quickly edited, refined and wired to his email. He said he would submit it to some senior people in Shell.

About a month later he called me and told me something has come up. That there is 6 a year contract job that will be coming up in October and that I need to acquire a particular training (HUET) without which I can't work in the upstream. He said its normally free but the man in charge of recruiting people said since am just a referral, I have to pay for the training. He said the training is 65k which I confirmed and its true.

Now he promised to pay part of the training fee (40k) for me and said I should take care of the remainder.
I trust this guy (he is my very good friend from same community) but you know people can change suddenly.

I just need advice from people who know about this kind of stuff, if its possible or not. Its small money (25k) but I wouldn't want to be scammed off the little money am surviving with as am currently managing myself. I don't even have the money now but I can run round and get it.
He told me they are waiting for Buhari to announce his cabinet before the project starts and that he will call me.

Well, I cannot confirm anything of such for you from here...
SCiN is very much organized in their recruitment of any form. There is a global policy that that has allowance for local policies with strong exceptions. Such exceptions includes accepting gratuity of any form from a prospective employee and contractors. There is no greater crime in Shell's contracting than Conflict of Interest
So, I can conclude that:
1. If you don't meet a particular requirement, shell will never ask you to pay to get it!
2. The HR is wholesomely aware of ALL recruitments.
... Please contact HR. You can inquire from Shell's recruitment without putting much salt on the table. Trust me, you'll get all the info you need.

Email: africarecruitment@shell.com

I hope this helps.
Regards,
Timothy

3 Likes

Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by obinnajr(m): 12:17pm On Oct 05, 2015
Sylver247:
Fellow Nairalanders, I am the op of the thread on "How have you been surviving without a job?"

IF YOU ARE A TRUE FRIEND YOU WONT BROADCAST THIS, YOU EVEN HAVE A FRIEND THAT GIVES YOU INTEL INFORMATION AND SUBSIDY ON THE ACTUAL AMOUNT TO PAY AND YOU HAVE TIME TO COME HERE AND WRITE RUBBISH, HOW CAN YOU GET SUCCESS WITHOUT SACRIFICE.... HEY SOMEBODY LIKE YOU NEED TO REMAIN JOBLESS COS YOU ARE NOT SURE OF GETTING A JOB AND YOU ARE A FAKE FRIEND OF A TRUE FRIEND, I HAD A FRIEND LIKE YOU ALSO WHOM I HELPED SO MUCH FOR YEARS BUT HE STILL OUBT MY CAPABILITIES EVEN GAVE HIM A JOB IN ABUJA BUT ALL HE CALLED IT IS A SCAM... INFORMATION IS POWER SO BELIEVE AND FORGE AHEAD....... I JUST WANNA MAKE A COMMON SENSE.

2 Likes

Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by ybalogs(m): 12:17pm On Oct 05, 2015
Just give it a try but you bringing it on NL is so so wrong. What if your friend see this? If he decides to stop helping, it's not his fault ooo
Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by olamisowon1(f): 12:21pm On Oct 05, 2015
my advice is,give him benefit of doubt. There is no crime in trying. He may be a scammer or not. In another vein, you can try to visit him in Warri if he will accept you to come even though that's additional expenses.

1 Like

Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by Nobody: 12:22pm On Oct 05, 2015
If you have more than that, you can pay n if that friend of yours ends up duping you, u get to know d real him!

And even learn from that experience.!
Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by viktor01(m): 12:24pm On Oct 05, 2015
na wow o
Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by Boss13: 12:24pm On Oct 05, 2015
frisky2good:
If you are sure he works with shell, send him the money. If he scams you, report to his company. I'm sure he won't even try it if he really works with shell.

Best advice so far. Pretty Straightforward for those who truly understand.

OP find out if he truly works in Shell and in what capacity (Full time or Contract), you can do this by visiting him and scan his ID card. Do not tell him you are coming. Request to see him from the Front Desk Officer. Once you have confirmed this, I think you should avail the entire sum to him. He would be joking with his job for this paltry sum of money.

On the other hand, I wonder why a training that is free would still have hidden cost attached to it. Also, Ministerial appointments do not stop Corporate Organisations from carrying on their operations. I highlighted these points because of the red flags they indicate. Anyways do your homework and if you do lose the money, it is a learning point on not trusting people you consider friends, however, it is not the end of the world.

Life is a risk - take it. Do nothing and die knowing nothing.

1 Like

Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by samscholes: 12:27pm On Oct 05, 2015
Dis one na local,guy pay d money na legit

1 Like

Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by Nobody: 12:28pm On Oct 05, 2015
Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by obua: 12:35pm On Oct 05, 2015
If the guy is a childhood friend , then most probably he won't scam u. HUET is helicopter underwater training to help you manage the risk involved in offshore marine operations.
Its free and paid for by Shell for its workers.
You are not yet employed by Shell so the HUEt certificate will help push your application. Visit your friend at the office to confirm his status.

4 Likes

Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by lastpage: 12:42pm On Oct 05, 2015
obinnajr:

IF YOU ARE A TRUE FRIEND YOU WONT BROADCAST THIS, YOU EVEN HAVE A FRIEND THAT GIVES YOU INTEL INFORMATION AND SUBSIDY ON THE ACTUAL AMOUNT TO PAY AND YOU HAVE TIME TO COME HERE AND WRITE RUBBISH, HOW CAN YOU GET SUCCESS WITHOUT SACRIFICE.... HEY SOMEBODY LIKE YOU NEED TO REMAIN JOBLESS COS YOU ARE NOT SURE OF GETTING A JOB AND YOU ARE A FAKE FRIEND OF A TRUE FRIEND, I HAD A FRIEND LIKE YOU ALSO WHOM I HELPED SO MUCH FOR YEARS BUT HE STILL OUBT MY CAPABILITIES EVEN GAVE HIM A JOB IN ABUJA BUT ALL HE CALLED IT IS A SCAM... INFORMATION IS POWER SO BELIEVE AND FORGE AHEAD....... I JUST WANNA MAKE A COMMON SENSE.

I dont think he is a "bad friend"...

He did not mention his friends name or reveal his identity in anyway that could jeopardize his frined's work or personality.

Infact, he is just being cautious and circumspect.... a very good quality that if we all adhere to, could save us from all manner of 419 borne out of foolishness.

"Those who ask for directions..... never get lost"!

Maybe you have never been unemployed for long term before, you would have known that even #100 cannot be wasted based on some trust without basis.

"If it sounds too good to be true, its probably not true".

I would personally have loved to help this young man pay for that 25K (bear the risk on his behalf) if only knew of a way to do it without exposing my "real life' personality online. I cant meet him in person right now because l am far off a bit.

try Email the Shell recruitment addy given by WHISTIM (Email: africarecruitment@shell.com) to see what more information you can get before parting with the money.
I wish you well and pray God will answer your prayers ASAP.
I love young men who want to work..... unlike some YahoYahoo boyz! angry angry

Lastpage!

BTW: Please tell these "islamic fundamentalist Moderators" @Seun has employed, to get off my Profile!
I am not a Muslim and will never be! Religion is not by force

1 Like

Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by idrissunny: 12:43pm On Oct 05, 2015
Ur childhold nd same community would nt trick u dat much.so i advice u pay nd let his conscianse gudge him
Sylver247:

Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by kodlins(f): 12:50pm On Oct 05, 2015
Pls the guy is doing you a huge favour.
Some HUET goes for 80 and above.

Really you can't get an upstream job with a HEAT training and it's not beans.

The though of diving under water and all should be your problem not 25k.

Mine expired this August and to renew is a problem. Not just the money but going through the process again especially for one who does not know how to swim
Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by bakynes(m): 12:52pm On Oct 05, 2015
Guy read my comment very well you and follow my advice.

Tell him you have run around and you didn't get anybody to lend you the money(25k) then tell him I know you ve tried and it's bad that you asking for further help. Tell him to please help you pay the full money that when things get better you will refund him soonest. If he refuses and says he has help you enough, give it some time tell him you have found a place they offer the course close to you and that you now have someone who wants to borrow you the money tell him to send you the 40k so you can add to the one with you and pay. If he says No, you ve to go through his friend, Guy na big SCAMMER

2 Likes

Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by jomoh: 12:54pm On Oct 05, 2015
Sylver247:

First have you met him one-on-one to be able to assess him physically in other to know what he is capable of. If truly he works with shell and his position in shell.

If all you do is to chat online then your case no be here o. You're now different from the Oyinbo wey Yahoo boys they nack Maga.

If you've met him one on one, then I can say you should go ahead but still, life is a risk calculate your risk since you've confirmed the amount and the course. One thing I always think in this situation is that the outcome will outweigh the cost while also not putting too much on the outcome or thinking to much about it.

Best of luck bro.

1 Like

Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by sstt(m): 12:56pm On Oct 05, 2015
first confirm that ur friend really still working in shell. if yes, 25k is not big deal to him. at times one has to gamble to succeed. but be sure it is ur friend DAT is really communicating u and not some mutual friend just disguising.

1 Like

Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by SmartMugu: 12:59pm On Oct 05, 2015
Life is all about taking risks - if u don't invest in certain endeavors, you may miss out on many opportunities in life. I've seen folks that won't want to spend a dime whenever opportunities present themselves from fear of being scammed, but they often realize what they missed out on when the opportunity passes them.

25k is actually a small amount to risk, unless your friend has combined low-level 419 with his Shell job, which is weird. What would 25k do these days? Would he give up what you guys call friendship over mere 25k? Only you know him and can tell if he's the hungry type.

If it will make u feel better, since you already confirmed the cost of the exam, you most likely know how to pay for it. Why not request he sends you the 40k he promised, you add your 25k and then go register for the exam yourself?

If he insists you have to be the one to send him the 25k first, then I'll smell something. Who has the time running around to register someone else for an exam they can register themselves for?

At the same time, I wouldn't think mere 25k should be why you missed out on what could actually be in your genuine interest.
Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by Rank50: 1:01pm On Oct 05, 2015
Nop.. Its not a scam... Trainings in oil field jobs cost a lot of money, i v been in 1 myself.. Try & get a guarantee b4 paying the money.. But if its for being real.. Its very real!
Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by donshaddow(m): 1:06pm On Oct 05, 2015
It could be alibaba... They'll hack your friends account, chat with and, then request for mony.

That's how it works...

If you can't contact your friend or if he's truly who he says he is..

He won't demand a cent from you.

My guy, friend scams friend.

1 Like

Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by Sylver247: 1:12pm On Oct 05, 2015
jomoh:

First have you met him one-on-one to be able to assess him physically in other to know what he is capable of. If truly he works with shell and his position in shell.

If all you do is to chat online then your case no be here o. You're now different from the Oyinbo wey Yahoo boys they nack Maga.

If you've met him one on one, then I can say you should go ahead but still, life is a risk calculate your risk since you've confirmed the amount and the course. One thing I always think in this situation is that the outcome will outweigh the cost while also not putting too much on the outcome or thinking to much about it.

I know him personally and hes a nice person, but you know that people can easily change

Best of luck bro.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Help Me Urgently Before I Lose My N-power Opportunity / See Twelve Things You Must Experience While Going For The Nigerian Military Test / Link Here To Apply For FRSC Recruitment 2023/2024

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.