Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,481 members, 7,819,753 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:24 PM

Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! - Jobs/Vacancies (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! (23449 Views)

80k Job In Sokoto Or Relocate To Abuja To Hustle Please Advice. / 7 Ways To Make Money Online Without Being Scammed… / I Think I've Been Scammed.. Please What Can I Do? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by Gboliwe: 1:12pm On Oct 05, 2015
stag:
If you have any reason(s) whatsoever to suspect you are being scammed, then by all means, be careful .

Who connected to the other on facebook? I mean was he the one who sent the friend request? Ask some questions only that friend of yours could have known. Scammers sometimes pose as long lost friends, colleague or even family.

And you should remember that the easiest way to be a prey is to appear desperate.

Matter closed. The instinct of man, what some call gut feeling is a very strong part of man. Most wahala can be avoided if we listen to and sharpen our instinct.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by Yankybabyface: 1:14pm On Oct 05, 2015
Guy run for ur dear life i be confirm wafi guy dat tin na scam notin like dat dey hpn,and mke i tel u no ever trust ur frnd reach dat extent,work no dey warri my guy
Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by tforever(m): 1:14pm On Oct 05, 2015
Sylver247:
Fellow Nairalanders, I am the op of the thread on "How have you been surviving without a job?"
I have a friend who works with Shell, hes actually a childhood friend we grew up together. We have been apart for long cos he works in Warri while I reside in Lagos.
Recently we hooked up again via Facebook and we got talking on phone about life and all. Told him my jobless situation and he got very concerned about my plight. He promised to do something about it cos I was very open with him, didn't hide or form. He requested for my CV which I quickly edited, refined and wired to his email. He said he would submit it to some senior people in Shell.

About a month later he called me and told me something has come up. That there is 6 a year contract job that will be coming up in October and that I need to acquire a particular training (HUET) without which I can't work in the upstream. He said its normally free but the man in charge of recruiting people said since am just a referral, I have to pay for the training. He said the training is 65k which I confirmed and its true.

Now he promised to pay part of the training fee (40k) for me and said I should take care of the remainder.
I trust this guy (he is my very good friend from same community) but you know people can change suddenly.

I just need advice from people who know about this kind of stuff, if its possible or not. Its small money (25k) but I wouldn't want to be scammed off the little money am surviving with as am currently managing myself. I don't even have the money now but I can run round and get it.
He told me they are waiting for Buhari to announce his cabinet before the project starts and that he will call me.

Please advice me should I give it a shot?

davide470 uboma lalasticlala
my advice don't do it there are better things you can do with 65k and be glad you did.. But all the same it still your decision.
Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by Sylver247: 1:16pm On Oct 05, 2015
obinnajr:

IF YOU ARE A TRUE FRIEND YOU WONT BROADCAST THIS, YOU EVEN HAVE A FRIEND THAT GIVES YOU INTEL INFORMATION AND SUBSIDY ON THE ACTUAL AMOUNT TO PAY AND YOU HAVE TIME TO COME HERE AND WRITE RUBBISH, HOW CAN YOU GET SUCCESS WITHOUT SACRIFICE.... HEY SOMEBODY LIKE YOU NEED TO REMAIN JOBLESS COS YOU ARE NOT SURE OF GETTING A JOB AND YOU ARE A FAKE FRIEND OF A TRUE FRIEND, I HAD A FRIEND LIKE YOU ALSO WHOM I HELPED SO MUCH FOR YEARS BUT HE STILL OUBT MY CAPABILITIES EVEN GAVE HIM A JOB IN ABUJA BUT ALL HE CALLED IT IS A SCAM... INFORMATION IS POWER SO BELIEVE AND FORGE AHEAD....... I JUST WANNA MAKE A COMMON SENSE.

Calm down now, u are talking from a distance u dont know how things are for me.
I repeat that the guy is a nice person but u know people can always change. its not just abt the money but the stress and dashed hope plus the bad memory it will leave me with. And u dont have to insult to pass ur message ok

4 Likes

Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by bobkezel(m): 1:16pm On Oct 05, 2015
I had a similar experience but i used delay tactics to discover i was about being scammed and i played along but didn't pay a dime. Guy you are about to be scammed. That your friend doesn't work in shell. The 40k he promised to pay on your behalf is just a bait, don't fall for it.

1 Like

Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by Sylver247: 1:19pm On Oct 05, 2015
WhiZTiM:

Well, I cannot confirm anything of such for you from here...
SCiN is very much organized in their recruitment of any form. There is a global policy that that has allowance for local policies with strong exceptions. Such exceptions includes accepting gratuity of any form from a prospective employee and contractors. There is no greater crime in Shell's contracting than Conflict of Interest
So, I can conclude that:
1. If you don't meet a particular requirement, shell will never ask you to pay to get it!
2. The HR is wholesomely aware of ALL recruitments.
... Please contact HR. You can inquire from Shell's recruitment without putting much salt on the table. Trust me, you'll get all the info you need.

Email: africarecruitment@shell.com

I hope this helps.
Regards,
Timothy

Thanks but I really do not want this to affect him in anyway. Just want to know if this sort of thing happens.
Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by chukslawrence(m): 1:19pm On Oct 05, 2015
Only if you knw what happen to me, I bet you'd run for your life. Someone i took as my uncle defraud me of #160,000 in the name of selling his car.
Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by Sylver247: 1:20pm On Oct 05, 2015
Dyt:
Sylver247
Can you introduce me to that your friend?
I can actually help you investigate

No thanks, I dont want him investigated.
Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by Sylver247: 1:21pm On Oct 05, 2015
menix:
@sylver247..

Life is all about risk, will advise u travel down to warri to confirm things urself..

Met a dude last year in an Oil firm, he was so nice collected my CV with the help of assisting me.

Infact when I got home that day, I had to sent him Recharge Pin to show how nice he was.

Fast Forward, a month later he called that he has got a better offer in another company nd they still need people buh I have to pay the community relations guy for the job.

With the trust I had, I paid Infact paid again to show how I trusted him.

Buh wat happened, it was all scam cous I decided to pay a visit to his supposedly former company, behold see the idiot.

He started begging that his Twins were at the verge of dieing, so he needed money to off set their medical bill.

So be careful with the way u say I trust him, thou I didn't regret my actions cous in life you take risk.

Touching story...thanks
Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by chukslawrence(m): 1:22pm On Oct 05, 2015
Sylver247:
Fellow Nairalanders, I am the op of the thread on "How have you been surviving without a job?"
I have a friend who works with Shell, hes actually a childhood friend we grew up together. We have been apart for long cos he works in Warri while I reside in Lagos.
Recently we hooked up again via Facebook and we got talking on phone about life and all. Told him my jobless situation and he got very concerned about my plight. He promised to do something about it cos I was very open with him, didn't hide or form. He requested for my CV which I quickly edited, refined and wired to his email. He said he would submit it to some senior people in Shell.

About a month later he called me and told me something has come up. That there is 6 a year contract job that will be coming up in October and that I need to acquire a particular training (HUET) without which I can't work in the upstream. He said its normally free but the man in charge of recruiting people said since am just a referral, I have to pay for the training. He said the training is 65k which I confirmed and its true.

Now he promised to pay part of the training fee (40k) for me and said I should take care of the remainder.
I trust this guy (he is my very good friend from same community) but you know people can change suddenly.

I just need advice from people who know about this kind of stuff, if its possible or not. Its small money (25k) but I wouldn't want to be scammed off the little money am surviving with as am currently managing myself. I don't even have the money now but I can run round and get it.
He told me they are waiting for Buhari to announce his cabinet before the project starts and that he will call me.

Only if you knw what happen to me, I bet you'd run
for your life. Someone i took as my uncle defraud me
of #160,000 in the name of selling his car.
Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by Sylver247: 1:22pm On Oct 05, 2015
EbolaParasite:

Anyone that works offshore is required to do HUET - Helicopter underwater escape training. That said, rather than pay the money to your friend, suggest going to the training centre directly

This is just what I wanted to confirm...Thanks. And I will do as youve adviced.
Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by Sylver247: 1:24pm On Oct 05, 2015
9jatriot:

Forgive me, I have not seen anywhere he said you should give him the money. If someone is willing to pay part of your training fee and he did not request you give him the money, why not identify the training institute and you both pay the cash direct to the institute and you go for the training.
HUET is usually a requirement for offshore jobs.
Not all that is gold glitters and not all that is gold glitters.

This is what I wanted to confirm...Thanks
Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by Nobody: 1:27pm On Oct 05, 2015
Sylver247:

25k....
Pay it,give it a try!
You won't die if u lose 25k
Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by Sylver247: 1:28pm On Oct 05, 2015
lastpage:

I dont think he is a "bad friend"...

He did not mention his friends name or reveal his identity in anyway that could jeopardize his frined's work or personality.

Infact, he is just being cautious and circumspect.... a very good quality that if we all adhere to, could save us from all manner of 419 borne out of foolishness.

"Those who ask for directions..... never get lost"!

Maybe you have never been unemployed for long term before, you would have known that even #100 cannot be wasted based on some trust without basis.

"If it sounds too good to be true, its probably not true".

I would personally have loved to help this young man pay for that 25K (bear the risk on his behalf) if only knew of a way to do it without exposing my "real life' personality online. I cant meet him in person right now because l am far off a bit.

try Email the Shell recruitment addy given by WHISTIM (Email: africarecruitment@shell.com) to see what more information you can get before parting with the money.
I wish you well and pray God will answer your prayers ASAP.
I love young men who want to work..... unlike some YahoYahoo boyz! angry angry

Lastpage!

BTW: Please tell these "islamic fundamentalist Moderators" @Seun has employed, to get off my Profile!
I am not a Muslim and will never be! Religion is not by force

Thank u sir for this comment. I emphasized clearly in my post that this guy is someone I trust. Will I trust him if hes not a good person? But u know NIgerians will always be Nigerians. Reading wrong meanings into everything
Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by obinnajr(m): 1:28pm On Oct 05, 2015
Sylver247:

Calm down now, u are talking from a distance u dont know how things are for me.
I repeat that the guy is a nice person but u know people can always change. its not just abt the money but the stress and dashed hope plus the bad memory it will leave me with. And u dont have to insult to pass ur message ok

AM SORRY, MAYBE I SOUNDED HARSH BUT I KNEW WHAT IT IS LIKE TO HELP SOMEONE.. THE ONLY THING I CAN DO FOR MY FRIEND BOTH REAL AND FAKE IS TO GET THEM FIXED WITH A JOB IF I HAVE ONE COS IF U DONT, THEY CANT STOP ASKING YOU FOR MONEY.... LIFE IS ALL ABOUT SACRIFICE.. HAVE FAITH AND TRY... BUT RISK TRYING COS EVERY SUCCESFUL MAN HAD A STORY LINE LIKE YOURS.

THANK YOU FRIEND
Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by jomoh: 1:36pm On Oct 05, 2015
[quote author=Sylver247 post=38688229][/quote]

I understand that you know him personally but "people change" is the main problem.

1. Everyone has friends they used to trust very well but due to distance and time you don't know what they've been up to. Until you see them in person to assess the kind of person they are lately, their present life style matters a lot. That is why I asked if you've met one on one lately.

2. Are you sure he really works with shell and not a contract staff, labourer or security. Be sure of his position in the organisation.

3. Even if its been a long time, you can still take the risk. Through your conversation, you can still determine little of what he is capable of. As in, is he really living comfortable to be able to give 40k or more than? If truly he can afford such and you've confirmed the existence and price of the course then you can take the risk and go ahead but don't stake too much on it and always be prepared for disappointment. If he now fvcks up then just accept it as what God has ordained. If you refuse to take the risk and it turns out to be true, you might live to regret the missed opportunity for life but what you loose if it turns out false will only be for a short time(maximum 6months)
Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by divinelove(m): 1:49pm On Oct 05, 2015
Sylver247:

ok tell him u have run around and could only raise 22k but the ppl promised to give you tha money at months end (find out the deadline and time this to be after that) plead with your frnd to help you pay up everything that you will balance him the 22k at months ends. now if he pays for you continue to give him stories of hw those ppl disappointed you until u r certain the job is for real then balance him and move on grin

just use your brains, brain man meet super brain man. jst drive dt guy for 911 way sand full joor undecided

i kw this is a scam we cant be too sure therefore show him u ve super strong brain cells (make him pay for u using superior tactics if he backs out then its confirmed scam)
Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by Lesgupnigeria(m): 1:53pm On Oct 05, 2015
400billionman:

Mr Lesgup..
Mr Plantain. I hail..
you dey here?
Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by 247Dior(m): 1:59pm On Oct 05, 2015
bro since u said he's working with shell.. and u need a job, truth is if u must succeed in life u have to take bold step, with only 25k for a job. it's a risk worth taking... just be positive and pay the money and leave the rest to God.....
Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by yuppieman(m): 2:10pm On Oct 05, 2015
@OP, you have to be very careful about friends you have not seen in a while; People change a lot these days. Sometimes in 2011, I was scammed of 50k by a very close friend of mine, mind you, I lived with this friend in the same flat for 2yrs.

This is my story, this friend was my flatmate while I was working in port harcourt. While in port harcourt, I did virtually everything with this my friend and he was a very honest person....fast forward to 2yrs later, I got married and had to relocate to the branch of my company in lagos but I kept in constant touch with this friend of mine through telephone.

Then he told me he has quit paid employment and is now a contractor in the oil sector, he asked if we can pull resources together and execute contracts he gets thereafter share the profits on agreed sharing formula.

After a few weeks, he called and said there's a contract he's expecting and he needs to let me know so I can start getting my own part of the money ready, I told him no wahala. Two days later, he called and said he needed to come to the head office of the company in lagos to do PR and that if he gets to lagos we can meet and discuss the contracts details. Then the day he was expected to come to lagos he called and said that he spoke to the guy in lagos and the guy said there was no need for him to come all the way to lagos, all he needed was N150k and the contract will be his.

My friend told me that he has only N100k with him and ask if I could send the balance of 50k for the PR, I didn't hesitate because this was a friend I lived with and trust with my life. I sent the money to his account and from then on it was one story to another to another and uptil this day, contract, I no see, 50k I no seem

I had to let it go after a while for friendship sake but I became wiser never to trust anybody that I haven't seen in a while.

My advice, if you know a mutual friend of both of you that's still very close to him try to get the persons opinion and if the person confirms his integrity, you can take the risk of sending the 25k to him. Afteral, life's all about risks.
Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by 123papas(m): 2:14pm On Oct 05, 2015
please pay on his behalf. you wont die, believe me
IHate9ja1:

25k....
Pay it,give it a try!
You won't die if u lose 25k

3 Likes

Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by 123papas(m): 2:16pm On Oct 05, 2015
Some businesses go bad.
yuppieman:
@OP, you have to be very careful about friends you have not seen in a while; People change a lot these days. Sometimes in 2011, I was scammed of 50k by a very close friend of mine, mind you, I lived with this friend in the same flat for 2yrs.

This is my story, this friend was my flatmate while I was working in port harcourt. While in port harcourt, I did virtually everything with this my friend and he was a very honest person....fast forward to 2yrs later, I got married and had to relocate to the branch of my company in lagos but I kept in constant touch with this friend of mine through telephone.

Then he told me he has quit paid employment and is now a contractor in the oil sector, he asked if we can pull resources together and execute contracts he gets thereafter share the profits on agreed sharing formula.

After a few weeks, he called and said there's a contract he's expecting and he needs to let me know so I can start getting my own part of the money ready, I told him no wahala. Two days later, he called and said he needed to come to the head office of the company in lagos to do PR and that if he gets to lagos we can meet and discuss the contracts details. Then the day he was expected to come to lagos he called and said that he spoke to the guy in lagos and the guy said there was no need for him to come all the way to lagos, all he needed was N150k and the contract will be his.

My friend told me that he has only N100k with him and ask if I could send the balance of 50k for the PR, I didn't hesitate because this was a friend I lived with and trust with my life. I sent the money to his account and from then on it was one story to another to another and uptil this day, contract, I no see, 50k I no seem

I had to let it go after a while for friendship sake but I became wiser never to trust anybody that I haven't seen in a while.

My advice, if you know a mutual friend of both of you that's still very close to him try to get the persons opinion and if the person confirms his integrity, you can take the risk of sending the 25k to him. Afteral, life's all about risks.
Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by ngaal7: 2:33pm On Oct 05, 2015
Hello friend,
Your present situation without a job is temporal. HUET is required for shallow water/swamp location while BOSIET is needed in Deep water operations. Aside this requirement, comprehensive medical test certificate are required before you can work in oil & gas coy. So, you may ask him if this is a requirement too. My advise is let him loan you this money and be faithful to pay back once your dream is actualized.
For God's intervention, make your way right with Him. Commit your ways in His Hand and God will fulfill your heart desire.
Promise and behold God continually. God bless you as you obey.

1 Like

Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by dlex21(m): 2:34pm On Oct 05, 2015
Eyepencil:

Why would he pay the full money for her?

Nigerians eeh!
why wont he?? how much is 65k for a shell worker? knowing fully well he is hustling. I mean what are friends for?

1 Like

Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by Inspectahdeck(m): 2:35pm On Oct 05, 2015
Please you have to be careful with such. Shell will never collect money to employ any individual for a contract or project job. Infact project jobs are sub-contracted to EPC companies who take full charge of employment, administration etc. They can only get referrals from senior project staff (e.g. Project manager) which shell as a company has no knowledge about.

Finally, no IOC waits for minister's appointment before implementation of a project. What he would have said was they (shell) are waiting for finance or approval from NNPC to mobilise for the project.

My advise please be careful. If you trust your friend you can go ahead but I will advise you against such as it is a common medium to defraud innocent people.

1 Like

Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by xest(m): 2:38pm On Oct 05, 2015
J
Sylver247:

My dear I understand ur fears vividly well,but u see in life we must take risk n bold steps. Due to d happenings in this country no one trust anyone again. But I can assure u truly that ur friend cannot scam u abt this, HUET is a professional course (Helicopter Undersea Escape Training) is arnd 80-100 K if u r not a staff,but if u r a staff d training is free of charge. So in other to work in offshore n so forth u wil hav to acquire it. Give it a try bro,and mind u buhari's delay in electing cabinet members hav hindered a lot of things,so d earlier u start d training the better. Thnks
Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by IndianaJay: 2:38pm On Oct 05, 2015
LOL....Anyone who advises the poster to pay then trust in God that he won't be scammed....is a Scammer.

Yes....I said it. angry grin

1 Like

Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by sunsewa: 2:43pm On Oct 05, 2015
Sylver247:

Listen to coolfm 95.9 portharcourt,this ur issue is been discuss now in their midday call in program right now.

1 Like

Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by Geniero: 2:57pm On Oct 05, 2015
YOUR ADVICE IS PRICELESS

ngaal7:
Hello friend,
Your present situation without a job is temporal. HUET is required for shallow water/swamp location while BOSIET is needed in Deep water operations. Aside this requirement, comprehensive medical test certificate are required before you can work in oil & gas coy. So, you may ask him if this is a requirement too. My advise is let him loan you this money and be faithful to pay back once your dream is actualized.
For God's intervention, make your way right with Him. Commit your ways in His Hand and God will fulfill your heart desire.
Promise and behold God continually. God bless you as you obey.
Re: Am I Being Scammed? Please Advice! by gidiboy1(m): 3:06pm On Oct 05, 2015
so 25k na small money for ur side? smh angry undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Fed Up With My N45k/month Job. / Help Me Urgently Before I Lose My N-power Opportunity / See Twelve Things You Must Experience While Going For The Nigerian Military Test

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 126
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.