Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,002 members, 7,821,514 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:10 PM

Buhari Must Be Screened If He'll Be The Petroleum Minister - Senators - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Must Be Screened If He'll Be The Petroleum Minister - Senators (37158 Views)

Prof. Anthony Onwuka, Ministerial Nominee From Imo State, Would be Screened Out / Dino Melaye: Amaechi Will Be Screened Tomorrow / Ministerial List: Buhari Must Be Screened If He’s Petroleum Minister—senate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari Must Be Screened If He'll Be The Petroleum Minister - Senators by TonyeBarcanista(m): 11:50pm On Oct 05, 2015
DMerciful:
So what should we call him? President of Nigeria and petroleum MINISTER? Or President of Nigeria and petroleum! grin
He is NOT and can NEVER be a minister! Ministers are his appointees to assist him. His taking charge of the petroleum sector doesn't make him minister
Re: Buhari Must Be Screened If He'll Be The Petroleum Minister - Senators by TonyeBarcanista(m): 11:52pm On Oct 05, 2015
Carmal90:

Check my post well, did i also said minister are not important?? You said minister are not mandated on the president which i found very hard to believe...though am meticiously reading the constitution
Appointing Ministers is the prerogative of the president. Section 148 said the president MAY appoint and not SHALL appoint ministers.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Must Be Screened If He'll Be The Petroleum Minister - Senators by Nobody: 11:56pm On Oct 05, 2015
tomdon:
what equipment; ancient or modern, did vanguard use to measure the perceived strong indication.
but if the report is true,
the president should be above all scrutiny.
he has the mandate and by extension competence reposed in him by the citizens, moral justification and security pass mark to handle any portfolios.

one would be tempted to assume that the block head law makers should know bera.

but then, this really seems like a battle line being drawn rather than them focusing on sieving out corrupt nominees.

well, its because most of them are also corrupt.

what is even delaying the trials of fashola and amaechi

There are 49 pdp senators that will be part of the screening, so expect that certain.nonsense will be rejected by dem.
Re: Buhari Must Be Screened If He'll Be The Petroleum Minister - Senators by Carmal90(m): 11:58pm On Oct 05, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:
Appointing Ministers is the prerogative of the president. Section 148 said the president MAY appoint and not SHALL appoint ministers.
Thaanks for quoting the section, you have made my work easier...let me check first
Re: Buhari Must Be Screened If He'll Be The Petroleum Minister - Senators by dougivilla(m): 11:59pm On Oct 05, 2015
Eziachi:
Someone should tell the sinators that the reason ministers were screened in the presidential system was because they weren't elected but appointed.

Unlike the parliamentary system where the cabinet and junior ministerial are drawn from among elected members of parliament, hence no need for screening.

Buhari was elected and cannot be screened if he wished to manage any part of his government by himself or his deputy.
If he likes he may decide to scrap the ministry of petroleum altogether and then what? Law makers who are ignorant of the law process.
Please what law or section of the Nigerian constitution supports this your long epistle?
Re: Buhari Must Be Screened If He'll Be The Petroleum Minister - Senators by hope4nigeria(m): 12:03am On Oct 06, 2015
that petroleom industry is where there biggest bribe comes from, they knew with buhari heading that sector they can never get kobo. e dey pain them oh gaga

1 Like

Re: Buhari Must Be Screened If He'll Be The Petroleum Minister - Senators by Carmal90(m): 12:09am On Oct 06, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

The President may, in his discretion, assign to the Vice-President or any Minister of the Government of the Federation responsibility for any business of the Government of the Federation, including the administration of any department of government.

This is what i saw on section 148 of nigeria constitution
Re: Buhari Must Be Screened If He'll Be The Petroleum Minister - Senators by ayindejimmy(m): 12:22am On Oct 06, 2015
"They are also set to reject an incomplete list, saying the constitution provides for a nominee from each state of the federation and that any list that did not cover the 36 states would suffer serious opposition on the floor of the Senate"

There's a way round this. The Constitution stipulates that the president should appointment ministers throughout each state of the federation. BUT it didn’t give any time frame for it.
So Buhari can appoint 21 now and in another 2-3 years sack some that didn’t meet expectations and appoint another 15 b4 his tenure elapses.
So senators should bkool
Re: Buhari Must Be Screened If He'll Be The Petroleum Minister - Senators by TonyeBarcanista(m): 12:24am On Oct 06, 2015
Carmal90:

The President may, in his discretion, assign to the Vice-President or any Minister of the Government of the Federation responsibility for any business of the Government of the Federation, including the administration of any department of government.

This is what i saw on section 148 of nigeria constitution
That has cleared the argument that assigning responsibility is the President's prerogative.

On Ministers' appÔintment, section 147 deals with it....

147(1) There shall be such offices of Ministers of the Government of the Federation as may be established by the President."
Re: Buhari Must Be Screened If He'll Be The Petroleum Minister - Senators by Godsonkemz(m): 12:30am On Oct 06, 2015
First in history a president occupying the position of a minister. He has to pass through the scrutiny. Weird president.
Re: Buhari Must Be Screened If He'll Be The Petroleum Minister - Senators by dustmalik: 12:37am On Oct 06, 2015
Godsonkemz:
First in history a president occupying the position of a minister. He has to pass through the scrutiny. Weird president.
First in history? You clearly don't know anything about Nigerian politics.
Re: Buhari Must Be Screened If He'll Be The Petroleum Minister - Senators by Godsonkemz(m): 12:44am On Oct 06, 2015
dustmalik:

First in history? You clearly don't know anything about Nigerian politics.

Before u criticise my assertion. I meant dis present democratic dispensation.
Re: Buhari Must Be Screened If He'll Be The Petroleum Minister - Senators by lekan29ice(m): 12:47am On Oct 06, 2015
Yeye senators
Re: Buhari Must Be Screened If He'll Be The Petroleum Minister - Senators by mikolo80: 12:51am On Oct 06, 2015
tomdon:
what equipment; ancient or modern, did vanguard use to measure the perceived strong indication.
but if the report is true,
the president should be above all scrutiny.
he has the mandate and by extension competence reposed in him by the citizens, moral justification and security pass mark to handle any portfolios.

one would be tempted to assume that the block head law makers should know bera.

but then, this really seems like a battle line being drawn rather than them focusing on sieving out corrupt nominees.

well, its because most of them are also corrupt.

what is even delaying the trials of fashola and amaechi
relax bro
saraki wen de high shoulder nko
him never mellow
efcc will bring all of them to their senses sharpaly
all this chest beating na rantings of an ant hoping saraki will give them committe chair
Re: Buhari Must Be Screened If He'll Be The Petroleum Minister - Senators by Realret70: 12:59am On Oct 06, 2015
We shall see how these thieves will want to try babas ego,let someone let them know that the man has the mandate of majority of Nigerian populace so ..........
Re: Buhari Must Be Screened If He'll Be The Petroleum Minister - Senators by Enice(m): 1:18am On Oct 06, 2015
Ikiriye:

Can you please tell me how many ministerial positions we have.
the only ministerial position mentioned by the constitution is the office of the attorney general. All others are at the mercy of the president.
Re: Buhari Must Be Screened If He'll Be The Petroleum Minister - Senators by Vatsyayana: 1:26am On Oct 06, 2015
President Buhari has sworn to the oath of office as the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. As far as the Constitution is concerned he is the head of the executive cabinet by operation of law. He is the uncommandable commander of the executive arm of govt. No other arm of govt has the legitimate power to screen him for opting for the petroleum ministry. Afterall he has been declared the head of cabinet since may 29. All his powers, including his discretionary powers such as this, have become exercisable since then.
Re: Buhari Must Be Screened If He'll Be The Petroleum Minister - Senators by Jalinco: 1:28am On Oct 06, 2015
Tetete awon araa'bi ns'ere ete.
Because PMB want to block there stealing of oil money they want to embarrass him.
Won maa te laye, won maa gbo lorun
Re: Buhari Must Be Screened If He'll Be The Petroleum Minister - Senators by favourlove1: 1:33am On Oct 06, 2015
Seconded! First buhari stated that he was gono b guided by the constitution so y is he going against it. Second, as a prospective nominee he is expected to be screened abi him pass law? He should be ready to accept the consequences of his actions
Re: Buhari Must Be Screened If He'll Be The Petroleum Minister - Senators by montezz(f): 1:35am On Oct 06, 2015
waris gud 4 d goose z gud 4 d gander bt i'd rather dy leave buhari out of dis. d virtue of his post as d president z enof excuse 4 his exemption on d ministerial screening. mk dm leave d old man alone jare.
Re: Buhari Must Be Screened If He'll Be The Petroleum Minister - Senators by Mickey7(m): 1:41am On Oct 06, 2015
Chaleeee:
Ru

The constitution states otherwise. It states that all nominees must be screened by the senate. If buhari fails to appear and go ahead to be petroleum minister, then he has contravened the constitution and as such can be impeached and removed from office. Trust me if it comes to that, Saraki will joyfully remove him.
jeez what is this one saying.this pple be interpreting the constitution upside down like market salers -_-
Re: Buhari Must Be Screened If He'll Be The Petroleum Minister - Senators by bayulll01(m): 1:59am On Oct 06, 2015
xwolverine:
very cute

You approve or don't approve, after 21 working days, the minister is valid.

Thank you,you are one of the knowledgeable people around here,its just so pathetic that many people that complain and whine on the affair of nigeria,knows nothing about nigeria constitutions,they think those selfservice looters knows as senators can stop the president from those he feel comfortable to work with,they should try and downloads a copy of nigeria constitutions,if they need interpreters we will help them
Re: Buhari Must Be Screened If He'll Be The Petroleum Minister - Senators by cococandy(f): 2:07am On Oct 06, 2015
And they obj and pmb both assumed positions of oil ministers
bonechamberlain:
grin

have anyone noticed that since 1999, the two military leaders we have had, obj and GMB always have a problem with the Senate, while under the two civilians yar adua and gej, they had a smooth relationship with the senate.

reason: the military always have this strong head attitude, they still have the mentality of a military head of state where they issue decrees without any Senate.
under yar adua and Jonathan (two civilised leaders), they knew the Senate also has powers in a democratic system, so the respected the nass and followed them diplomatically with tact and wisdom.

until the military show respect to the Senate in a democratic system we would continue to be where we have been.

and also until Nigerians remove the mentality of "strong man" during elections this military returnees would continue to come back in every election .

as for buhari facing screening, I am speechless
Re: Buhari Must Be Screened If He'll Be The Petroleum Minister - Senators by dustmalik: 2:21am On Oct 06, 2015
Godsonkemz:

Before u criticise my assertion. I meant dis present democratic dispensation.
Obasanjo did it, so i don't know what you are talking about.
Re: Buhari Must Be Screened If He'll Be The Petroleum Minister - Senators by MosquitoREBIRTH(m): 6:25am On Oct 06, 2015
The play here is, the senate will screen amaechi and co out, and then their names will be replaced so it won't look like Buhari never considered them for a ministerial post.

that's the plan...
Re: Buhari Must Be Screened If He'll Be The Petroleum Minister - Senators by RAO1(m): 6:35am On Oct 06, 2015
Oh! did any of them see my Facebook post? I asked on my Facebook page dt, will PMB b screened or it's auto.
Re: Buhari Must Be Screened If He'll Be The Petroleum Minister - Senators by mathelo(m): 6:38am On Oct 06, 2015
Some Senators need to be recalled for public display of ignorance and incompetence.
Re: Buhari Must Be Screened If He'll Be The Petroleum Minister - Senators by poseidon12: 6:55am On Oct 06, 2015
damton:
Sometimes, I wonder if our senators understand the need to setting priorities. I don't know if it is necessary for The president to appear before the house. Hope this does not have any political undertone because that will be detrimental to the whole screening process. Who knows, perhaps the screening could lead to another bout of boxing fight.
Is the president above the law of the land? Why would he not appear before the house just as the other nominees? At least to explain why he should be oil minister. We should not allow any dictatorship in this country anymore.
Re: Buhari Must Be Screened If He'll Be The Petroleum Minister - Senators by poseidon12: 7:00am On Oct 06, 2015
Vatsyayana:
President Buhari has sworn to the oath of office as the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. As far as the Constitution is concerned he is the head of the executive cabinet by operation of law. He is the uncommandable commander of the executive arm of govt. No other arm of govt has the legitimate power to screen him for opting for the petroleum ministry. Afterall he has been declared the head of cabinet since may 29. All his powers, including his discretionary powers such as this, have become exercisable since then.
I guess in your mind he has the power to do anything he wants in Nigeria, right? So, may be we don't need the senate and house of representatives, right?
Re: Buhari Must Be Screened If He'll Be The Petroleum Minister - Senators by bonechamberlain(m): 7:17am On Oct 06, 2015
cococandy:
And they obj and pmb both assumed positions of oil ministers
exactly
Re: Buhari Must Be Screened If He'll Be The Petroleum Minister - Senators by AkupeMBANO(m): 7:48am On Oct 06, 2015
Screen am well o. Before someone will go and buy a house and hyde.
Re: Buhari Must Be Screened If He'll Be The Petroleum Minister - Senators by Redfruit(m): 8:30am On Oct 06, 2015
Hq
xwolverine:
very cute

It would have made more sense if the Senators threatening fire and brimstone had clean records to back them up. But alas, they have forgotten they all have skeletons in their cupboards. I'm patiently waiting for that Senator that would be the first to cast a stone. And as a matter of fact, the constitution doesn't state that the senate has the final say in the appointment of nominees, once it exceeds the stipulated time according to

Section 147:
(6) An appointment to any of the offices aforesaid shall be deemed to have been made where no return has been received from the Senate within twenty-one working days of the receipt of nomination by the Senate.

You approve or don't approve, after 21 working days, the minister is valid.
O boy, read the boldened very well

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Stephen Oshawo: Why I Suspended Adams Oshiomhole / Shehu Sani Reacts To Obasanjo’s Open Letter To Buhari / How APC Is On Its Way To Losing Osun Despite Heavy Arsenal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.