Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,582 members, 7,816,432 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:12 AM

Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership (21207 Views)

Hausas Asking Igbos To Leave: See What Some Northern Youths Are Saying Online / Umahi Bags 2016 Zik Prize For Leadership In Good Governance Award / Rivers Rerun: Governor Wike Says INEC Was Not Prepared (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership by sparkleRed(f): 6:33am On Oct 14, 2015
Ndeewonu:

This is one of the things the OP is talking about. How can this type of person, who does not understand the map of Nigeria, be appointed minister?

It's sad that the man does not know what we are talking about! What a shame!

I didn't get u sorry I was merely pointing out his wrongs in d geographical zoning
Re: Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership by izzyu(m): 7:25am On Oct 14, 2015
Rilwayne001:

[size=14pt] On a more serious note Buhari Bleep up big time. Youths like:

Tonyebarcanista
Firefire
Mogidi
phockmanphockman
Ozoakpe grin

ought to be on that Ministerial list.

Buhari is s big scam.. [/size]

protest for that, you get jailed or shot dead.
Re: Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership by izzyu(m): 7:27am On Oct 14, 2015
sandraokosun:
who the hell are u decieving! Stick to ur pdp idiocy, u cant claim to be speaking libraly for the youth when u are a fully partisan pdp bigot, who by the way got a 75yr old ahmadu ali as it youth minister, i guess u couldnt even convice ur pot belly cabals and ur men of 2moro the anenihs,clark,tukur,george,ibb of ths world. Pdp killed the hope of youth in nigeria with the money bribes. Made NANS its party youth wing as well as CAN. This article should be coming from a non partisan person, who is trully interested in youth welfare

you are a biased zoologist.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership by Nobody: 7:35am On Oct 14, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:
Buhari ministerial list contains names of yesteryears politicians, some of them woefully failed in their previous office. While some of us are not happy with the recycling, the question I beg to ask is "Are the youths prepared for leadership?".

The Attitude of Nigeria Youth:
I understand that the youths of Nigeria like their African counterpart are seriously challenged economically. I understand that we are faced with the thought of "when are we taking over?" But looking at the nigerian youth, you will see one that is ready to stake his life and intellect to butt-lick and defend failed politicians with hope that the 'politicians' enroll them into their payroll and/or make them unofficial PA. The youths are scattered on social media from twitter, facebook, Nairaland etc and even on the street with readiness to be eternal stooge for politicians. Is it not a Nigerian youth that carries placard in protest against prosecutors and to show support to politicians that have been indicted for crimes? Which other part of the world can one find such?

Our Youths Have No Zeal To Lead:
The youths keep saying 'give us a chance' but have they shown willingness and zeal to lead? How many of our youths are members of political parties? How many are thinking of picking party forms to vie for political offices? The minimum age to run for Local government chairman, Federal House of Representatives and State House of Assembly offices is 30, For Senate and Office of the Governor, the minimum age is 35. How many of our 30-40years old have shown the zeal and passion to run for these offices? How many have shown the zeal to run for their Local Government Chairmanship elections? How many youths within the 25 and 35 age bracket are passionate about representing their wards as councillors? How then can there be power shift when there is no zeal to lead? Does power come on a platter of gold?

May I remind the youths that Bola Tinubu first ran for Senate(and won) at the age of 40? Rabiu Kwankwaso was first elected Member/Deputy Speaker of House of Representative in 1992 at the age of 36. Ayo Fayose was 43years when he ran for Governor against an incumbent and PDP elite in 2003. At 37, Owelle Rochas Okorocha first ran for Governor of Imo state in 1999(he lost). At 41 he vied for the Presidency in 2003(he lost). He was however appointed Special Adviser to President Obasanjo. At 35 Musliu Obanikoro was the NRC Caretaker Chairman for Surulere Local Government. All these men started WITHOUT a godfather. They however showed the zeal to lead, today they are moving from one office to another.

Our Youths Must Wake Up:
Leadership comes with responsibilities. I am not a fan of 'gifting' people with political offices, but instead I believe in supporting young visionaries for political offices. For young people to lead, they have to join/support political parties of choice. They must intelligently contribute to party growth, show willingness and readiness to lead, and pick forms for elective offices. Don't be discouraged whether you win or lose the election because the zeal will prepare and position you for other positions (appointments) that usually comes AFTER every election. If appointment didn't come, the next for years will definitely provide another opportunity to vie for elective/appointive position. Who says a youth cannot be the a national officer of his party(apart from youth leader)?

Finally, leadership is not a gift, it must be earned. If the youths really want generational shift, they must show willingness to lead. As at now, the youths are just not prepared for leadership.

May God Bless Us All

You seem to forget that 40 years ago, they were fewer graduates , fewer learned people than we have now.
Money was not a criteria in accessing leadership qualities, neither was God fatherism and connections.
The colonialist in their attempt to handover power choose a selected few, these were people they could relate with , who were priviledged to be close to them, these are the same persons leading us today.

They are able to do this because their grandfathers and mothers were leaders in the 60s-and 70s.
They are able to do this because they have accumulated funds, capital and experience in leadership positions at a time where all you needed to vie for leadership position was a standard 6 certificate and really education standard was better then.

They were able to vie for leadership because people back then believed in the country so much that they were willing to die for it, a good name was what they were after things were working well, there was so much unity that if stayed for up tp 6months in another part of the country you became familiar with their language and customs.

The youths of today dont have that opportunity to develop these leadership traits , they dont have N100million naira to buy nomination forms to vie for office, they dont have N2bn to push campaign programs like their more experienced counter parts who have over the years accumulated funds (mostly stolen) to do this.

A situation where we have public officers who refuse to retire when they get to the mandatory age but choose to stay put, like dogs in manger, how do you expect the young ones to develop to acquire necessary leader ship traits.

The youths of today are victims of circumstance, they dont have leadership traits because they were not taught leadership.
The are irresponsible because the leaders we have today are irresponsible.
They want to get rich quick because thats whats promoted in todays society , where our leaders of today want authority without responsibility.

The cant vie for political office, because they dont have the millions needed to buy forms, sponsor campaigns, or give bribes to people who can make things happen.

You are wrong to say the youths of today dont have leadership qualities, leadership is not an inborn trait.

It is nurtured and developed over time, if the youths are not coached to be leaders , if there are no good examples of leadership to follow then they will never be leaders.

The Present generation of leaders is to blame for this mess, in their days all federal institutions (universities, schools, scholarship boards) were functional, and they benefited from these, yet they choose to make them rot so that the youths of today will become riff raffs making it impossible for them to ever take up leadership positions except their own wards who go to the best schools in the world.

Dont blame the youths o, its very unfortunate.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership by Joshmon(m): 8:12am On Oct 14, 2015
Tonyebarcanista,I don't know what specifically is your profession but you've been more of a public analyst and I'm impressed with most of your written articles but I like to ask a few questions; 1.what is your age? 2.What political office(s) have you vied for or held? 3.How prepared are you personally for leadership? Because you cannot write like Wole Soyinka and expect government to be that easy like putting finger in soup...Last time Soyinka talked on politics he was tagged connoisseur of wine. Bottom line is; its easier said than done,Maybe some others are looking up to you and expecting your 1st move.
Re: Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership by ChikezieU(m): 9:05am On Oct 14, 2015
The average youth's that have the passion for good leadership is so broke that he has no time for politics other than his stomach and they can't flourish in the current dispensation of our immediate society where being upright is seen as silly. We have to first start to recognize and cherish good deeds.
Re: Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership by TonyeBarcanista(m): 9:06am On Oct 14, 2015
Joshmon:
Tonyebarcanista,I don't know what specifically is your profession but you've been more of a public analyst and I'm impressed with most of your written articles but I like to ask a few questions; 1.what is your age? 2.What political office(s) have you vied for or held? 3.How prepared are you personally for leadership? Because you cannot write like Wole Soyinka and expect government to be that easy like putting finger in soup...Last time Soyinka talked on politics he was tagged connoisseur of wine. Bottom line is; its easier said than done,Maybe some others are looking up to you and expecting your 1st move.
Insha'allah, the first move will be made in 2019.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership by clockwise(m): 9:31am On Oct 14, 2015
This must be d joke of the century, hahahaahaha, dis guy u be AWO GUY? Cos uur Aro na grade 1. The names u mentioned re nt even known in thier street, local govt talkless of federal level. I pray we Nigerian youth wake up from our slumber. Shalom.
Rilwayne001:

[size=14pt] On a more serious note Buhari Bleep up big time. Youths like:

Tonyebarcanista
Firefire
Mogidi
phockmanphockman
Ozoakpe grin

ought to be on that Ministerial list.

Buhari is s big scam.. [/size]
Re: Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership by Firefire(m): 9:40am On Oct 14, 2015
clockwise:
This must be d joke of the century, hahahaahaha, dis guy u be AWO GUY? Cos uur Aro na grade 1. The names u mentioned re nt even known in thier street, local govt talkless of federal level. I pray we Nigerian youth wake up from our slumber. Shalom.

How sure are you of that statement ?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership by abdullkabar(m): 9:51am On Oct 14, 2015
The thing is,there is no future of them reaching there(as stubborn as humans are,we get tired when we know we can't get something)....motto: make them choose one youth make we see or beta still let there be a passage to get there,if I here say we nogo ready to lead
Re: Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership by awayeyebundle: 11:03am On Oct 14, 2015
Youth are forever zealous,articulate,and ever dynamic in nature,nobody not even u(barcanister) can change the fact that the elders of this country contributed the chaos,abnormalies and riot of the youth.Tell me if after school u're working in reputable company and there's social amenities without been capitalist of ur own money,good house,who will be thugs for the idiot,bastard politicians,.........so as the saying goes "the root of all evil is wealth".Are u telling me that the olders one are not corrupt,so if they are,appointing youth even that is worst characters should be problems,when Audu Ogbeh is still rejuvenate back into the system....Abeg spare me.We go deceive ourselves till death......#bundlesayso#
Re: Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership by Nobody: 12:43pm On Oct 14, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:
Buhari ministerial list contains names of yesteryears politicians, some of them woefully failed in their previous office. While some of us are not happy with the recycling, the question I beg to ask is "Are the youths prepared for leadership?".

I understand that the youths of Nigeria like their African counterpart are seriously challenged economically. I understand that we are faced with the thought of "when are we taking over?" But looking at the nigerian youth, you will see one that is ready to stake his life and intellect to butt-lick and defend failed politicians with hope that the 'politicians' enroll them into their payroll and/or make them unofficial PA. The youths are scattered on social media from twitter, facebook, Nairaland etc and even on the street with readiness to be eternal stooge for politicians. Is it not a Nigerian youth that carries placard in protest against prosecutors and to show support to politicians that have been indicted for crimes? Which other part of the world can one find such?

The youths keep saying 'give us a chance' but have they shown willingness and zeal to lead? How many of our youths are members of political parties? How many are thinking of picking party forms to vie for political offices? The minimum age to run for Local government chairman, Federal House of Representatives and State House of Assembly offices is 30, For Senate and Office of the Governor, the minimum age is 35. How many of our 30-40years old have shown the zeal and passion to run for these offices? How many have shown the zeal to run for their Local Government Chairmanship elections? How many youths within the 25 and 35 age bracket are passionate about representing their wards as councillors? How then can there be power shift when there is no zeal to lead? Does power come on a platter of gold?

May I remind the youths that Bola Tinubu first ran for Senate(and won) at the age of 40? Rabiu Kwankwaso was first elected Member/Deputy Speaker of House of Representative in 1992 at the age of 36. Ayo Fayose was 43years when he ran for Governor against an incumbent and PDP elite in 2003. At 37, Owelle Rochas Okorocha first ran for Governor of Imo state in 1999(he lost). At 41 he vied for the Presidency in 2003(he lost). He was however appointed Special Adviser to President Obasanjo. At 35 Musliu Obanikoro was the NRC Caretaker Chairman for Surulere Local Government. All these men started WITHOUT a godfather. They however showed the zeal to lead, today they are moving from one office to another.

Our Youths Must Wake Up:
Leadership comes with responsibilities. I am not a fan of 'gifting' people with political offices, but instead I believe in supporting young visionaries for political offices. For young people to lead, they have to join/support political parties of choice. They must intelligently contribute to party growth, show willingness and readiness to lead, and pick forms for elective offices. Don't be discouraged whether you win or lose the election because the zeal will prepare and position you for other positions (appointments) that usually comes AFTER every election. If appointment didn't come, the next for years will definitely provide another opportunity to vie for elective/appointive position. Who says a youth cannot be the a national officer of his party(apart from youth leader)?

Finally, leadership is not a gift, it must be earned. If the youths really want generational shift, they must show willingness to lead. As at now, the youths are just not prepared for leadership.

May God Bless Us All

Bro what you just exposed here is not for all. Its for less that 1% members of nairalanders and I bet you they have taken note.

Nice insight
Re: Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership by 400billionman: 1:30pm On Oct 14, 2015
sirfemoz:
I think Nigerian youths have sold their rights and privileges over bags of money. That's the more reason people like Audu Ogbe will still remain in active politics.

They also sell themselves here online.
Re: Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership by 400billionman: 1:32pm On Oct 14, 2015
sandraokosun:
who the hell are u decieving! Stick to ur pdp idiocy, u cant claim to be speaking libraly for the youth when u are a fully partisan pdp bigot, who by the way got a 75yr old ahmadu ali as it youth minister, i guess u couldnt even convice ur pot belly cabals and ur men of 2moro the anenihs,clark,tukur,george,ibb of ths world. Pdp killed the hope of youth in nigeria with the money bribes. Made NANS its party youth wing as well as CAN. This article should be coming from a non partisan person, who is trully interested in youth welfare

Counter his write up not his personality..
Re: Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership by 400billionman: 1:39pm On Oct 14, 2015
Onijagidijagan:

you dey craze na attention u want every time god punish u

Since he gets it, work hard also to get your own attention.

Don't be a destroyer..
Re: Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership by ModiKen(m): 2:15pm On Oct 14, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

Our Youths Must Wake Up:

May God Bless Us All

Tonye, I must commend you on this writeup.

Though we are of different political ideologies and parties but you could read my mind on this issue of our youths not being ready for leadership.

It is quite sad that most youths today only care about "social media"; facebook, instagram, twitter et al.

Most are just online to complain about our leaders or to support them (for reasons they may not even be able to explain).

Taking the bull by the horn is what our youths ought to be doing; if we the young ones begin giving the older and more established politicians a run for their money at elections, things would begin changing and we can boldly claim we are the leaders of tomorrow.

I am not 30 yet but I have been chewing on the thought of running for a political office at my local government or state and your writeup has been an extra motivation for me.

I would be joining a political party once I step in naija and I would pick a form for a legislative position at my local government or state come next election in 2019.

Hope to see you at the top man when we begin making impact on the lives of Nigerians.
Re: Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership by TonyeBarcanista(m): 2:27pm On Oct 14, 2015
ModiKen:

Tonye, I must commend you on this writeup.

Though we are of different political ideologies and parties but you could read my mind on this issue of our youths not being ready for leadership.

It is quite sad that most youths today only care about "social media"; facebook, instagram, twitter et al.

Most are just online to complain about our leaders or to support them (for reasons they may not even be able to explain).

Taking the bull by the horn is what our youths ought to be doing; if we the young ones begin giving the older and more established politicians a run for their money at elections, things would begin changing and we can boldly claim we are the leaders of tomorrow.

I am not 30 yet but I have been chewing on the thought of running for a political office at my local government or state and your writeup has been an extra motivation for me.

I would be joining a political party once I step in naija and I would pick a form for a legislative position at my local government or state come next election in 2019.

Hope to see you at the top man when we begin making impact on the lives of Nigerians.
One of the objectives of the article is to provoke the minds of young people and motivate them to drop whatever fear factor they may be having. I'm glad you are among those that are willing to take the bull by the horn. Be rest assured of my unflinching support when the time comes.

As for me, come 2019 I will be vying for a seat in the Federal House of Representative to represent Okrika/Ogu-bolo federal constituency under the PDP platform.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership by chukel(m): 3:05pm On Oct 14, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

Our Youths Must Wake Up:

May God Bless Us All
the above emboldened succinctly describes you and your minions.
Re: Nigeria Youths Are Not Prepared For Leadership by AdeniyiA(m): 8:04am On Oct 17, 2015
Our unpreparedness isn't intentional but by demonic inspiration of our leaders to perpetually keep the youth at the lowest ebb of economic independence, how do you expect a youth who is still struggling to make ends meet to plunge into money spinning politics

does a hungry man care about politics but his belly?? ?

we need first to be economically emancipated

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Senate Confirms Danbatta As New NCC Boss / Kachikwu Bribed Niger-Delta Avengers With $10m - PDP / Whistle-blower To Receive 5% Of Loot Recovered — FG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.