Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,210 members, 7,822,080 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 05:52 AM

Debate: Do You Think ''romantic" Love Is Overrated? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Debate: Do You Think ''romantic" Love Is Overrated? (2952 Views)

Sex Is Overrated And Overhyped / "Virginity Is Overrated": Quote Non-Virgins Use To Console Themselves / 5 Most Romantic Love Quotes To Melt Your Girl's Heart (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Debate: Do You Think ''romantic" Love Is Overrated? by lapazi(m): 12:40am On Oct 09, 2015
hello guys,
A friend of mine just went through a tough and nasty breakup, in my bid to comfort him, we started this heated argument about love.
These were some of the points i provided on why i think love is overrated:

'Love' is Just mother nature's cruelest trick to get us to reproduce. Nothing more.
It is overrated, I'd agree with it being just a fantasy and that for many people just isn't achievable. It's different with everybody so is it right to just generalise like that? I think not.
It sets unrealistic expectations in people that just leads to disappointment, because it's portrayed as "perfect", "never ending", which is incorrect because love is not perfect at all, and it ends all the time.

while he tries to defend his emotions by saying:

No, love is not overrated. Lust is. Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

To me all that is load of bull-crappp and i finally reponded by saying thats why u got your heart broken in the first place!

Over to you my fellow romance-landers, do you think love is over rated? if no, pls state you reasons. And if yes i'm with you jorr!

#whatyasay

cc: lalasticlala, ishilove

1 Like

Re: Debate: Do You Think ''romantic" Love Is Overrated? by SenhorSean(m): 12:51am On Oct 09, 2015
Yeah! ....Highly over rated
Re: Debate: Do You Think ''romantic" Love Is Overrated? by Nobody: 1:50am On Oct 09, 2015
Wont say overrated, will say misunderstood.
Re: Debate: Do You Think ''romantic" Love Is Overrated? by williams20(m): 1:51am On Oct 09, 2015
Yes , misunderstood
Re: Debate: Do You Think ''romantic" Love Is Overrated? by lapazi(m): 2:01am On Oct 09, 2015
masterchi:
Wont say overrated, will say misunderstood.

hmm misunderstood?
can u pls explain more on that?
Re: Debate: Do You Think ''romantic" Love Is Overrated? by Nobody: 2:05am On Oct 09, 2015
lapazi:

hmm misunderstood?
can u pls explain more on that?
can write an essay on this but sleep calling my name
Re: Debate: Do You Think ''romantic" Love Is Overrated? by Mzdivacious(f): 2:05am On Oct 09, 2015
romantic love is overrated and obsessive...those kind love u will be feeling butterflies n shiit.think about d person all day.get jealous.n a slight provocation will make u cry all night.those crazy feelings...but there is another kind of love...the stable love...u just feel happy n content to be with d person.u feel a sense of calm n deep down joy.i believe this is d kind of love the bible describes.the gentle kind n not jealous one.its d kind we long for as we grow older.cos its very stable...not the teenage rollercosta of romantic love.its actually "sweet" wen mutual but tooo emotional obsessive,crazy n scary.u cant even control ur emotions.its overrated.we dont need things that throw us too much off balance like that

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Debate: Do You Think ''romantic" Love Is Overrated? by lapazi(m): 2:12am On Oct 09, 2015
Mzdivacious:
romantic love is overrated and obsessive...those kind love u will be feeling butterflies n shiit.think about d person all day.get jealous.n a slight provocation will make u cry all night.those crazy feelings...but there is another kind of love...the stable love...u just feel happy n content to be with d person.u feel a sense of calm n deep down joy.i believe this is d kind of love the bible describes.the gentle kind n not jealous one.its d kind we long for as we grow older.cos its very stable...not the teenage rollercosta of romantic love.its actually "sweet" wen mutual but tooo emotional obsessive,crazy n scary.u cant even control ur emotions.its overrated.we dont need things that throw us too much off balance like that

well said... thats what am talking about

1 Like

Re: Debate: Do You Think ''romantic" Love Is Overrated? by lapazi(m): 2:16am On Oct 09, 2015
masterchi:
can write an essay on this but sleep calling my name

oya now...see you on the flip side!
Re: Debate: Do You Think ''romantic" Love Is Overrated? by Cutehector(m): 3:25am On Oct 09, 2015
Love is a beautiful thing
Re: Debate: Do You Think ''romantic" Love Is Overrated? by Nobody: 5:00am On Oct 09, 2015
Before leaving for work, it's important to tell you how foolish and insipid love is.
Re: Debate: Do You Think ''romantic" Love Is Overrated? by Dahveydson(m): 5:13am On Oct 09, 2015
Which one is Romantic love? Is there unromantic love?
Re: Debate: Do You Think ''romantic" Love Is Overrated? by lapazi(m): 4:59pm On Oct 09, 2015
Cutehector:
Love is a beautiful thing

until it turns to an ugly breakup!
Re: Debate: Do You Think ''romantic" Love Is Overrated? by Nobody: 5:29pm On Oct 09, 2015
It better not be over-rated oo cos I'm looking forward to experience it. undecided
Re: Debate: Do You Think ''romantic" Love Is Overrated? by olasmith10(m): 5:39pm On Oct 09, 2015
loves becomes overrated wen d partners feelings and emotions are mismatched.. He loves her but she loves him less..He expects her to return d love to him in a right proportion but its not just happening..That's y d conclusion of love bn overrated is always singular

My take is; Love isn't overrated if the partners equally loves each other!
Re: Debate: Do You Think ''romantic" Love Is Overrated? by lapazi(m): 5:52pm On Oct 09, 2015
PinkBarbie:
It better not be over-rated oo cos I'm looking forward to experience it. undecided

inother words you've never fallen in love before?
pm me to teach u the basics so when u eventually do fall in love you wont get hurt!
Re: Debate: Do You Think ''romantic" Love Is Overrated? by Kunleskey(m): 6:13pm On Oct 09, 2015
Don't say i wasn't here to witness such love.
Re: Debate: Do You Think ''romantic" Love Is Overrated? by joshuamoses101(m): 6:37pm On Oct 09, 2015
A prof in my school said...love is the misunderstanding between 2 fools...in other words its only confused people that falls in luv @iwasnothere#ididnotsay
Re: Debate: Do You Think ''romantic" Love Is Overrated? by lapazi(m): 11:45am On Oct 11, 2015
joshuamoses101:
A prof in my school said...love is the misunderstanding between 2 fools...in other words its only confused people that falls in luv @iwasnothere#ididnotsay
Its really an illogical phenomenom
Re: Debate: Do You Think ''romantic" Love Is Overrated? by Nobody: 1:34pm On Oct 11, 2015
Yes it is overrated. Romantic love while it is necessary to begin and nurture a relationship, romantic love alone is not sustainable for a relationship.

To sustain a relationship, you need concoction of romantic love, friendship/brotherly like/love, and unconditional love.

Love is a choice, it's a decision and it is a commitment especially during hard times. Period.
Re: Debate: Do You Think ''romantic" Love Is Overrated? by lapazi(m): 11:58pm On Oct 17, 2015
Xiadnat:
Yes it is overrated. Romantic love while it is necessary to begin and nurture a relationship, romantic love alone is not sustainable for a relationship.

To sustain a relationship, you need concoction of romantic love, friendship/brotherly like/love, and unconditional love.

Love is a choice, it's a decision and it is a commitment especially during hard times. Period.

well said, couldnt agree less!

(1) (Reply)

7 Nollywood Actresses Who Married “tear Rubber” Husbands (with Pictures) / She Badly Need It Raw / This Kind Breast And Hips Sha

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.