Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,909 members, 7,817,683 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:10 PM

N20million Or Green Card: Which Would You Prefer? - Business (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / N20million Or Green Card: Which Would You Prefer? (26533 Views)

The Top 5 Reasons why Nigerians (Should) Prefer PayPal / 10 Acres Of Land For N20million. / Samuel Robinson: Teenager Asks For N20million Naira (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: N20million Or Green Card: Which Would You Prefer? by ghetto101(m): 5:38pm On Oct 09, 2015
Greencard doesn't make you reach,with 20 millions you are already a reach man and if you knw your way you can go any where in the world.

RollingStones:
If you are given a chance to pick between N20million and a Green Card to any Country of your choice,which would you take?

http://pulse.ng/gist/morning-teaser-n20m-or-green-card-which-would-you-prefer-id4244319.html

Re: N20million Or Green Card: Which Would You Prefer? by Brainiacmrtolz(m): 5:42pm On Oct 09, 2015
#20000000 will definitely establish my ambitions but a green card may not
Re: N20million Or Green Card: Which Would You Prefer? by mufasaus: 5:44pm On Oct 09, 2015
I just came back from Nigeria and I have been living in the US for almost 20 something years after graduating from Unilag with an engineering degree so I know USA very well and I have done quite a lot of business in Nigeria and I know Nigeria very well.

Please do not and I repeat NEVER equalize a USA green card with 50 million in Nigeria. They are not the same. If you work very hard in the USA and plan your life very well and not extravagant. You can easily become a millionaire in USA dollars within a short period of time.

Some of my colleagues children who own businesses and a dozen of houses in high brow area in Lagos can not even secure a job.

Please take a green card over any amount of money given to you in Nigeria any day and any time.

Do you know, you can even start a business from USA to Nigeria and vice versa and make #20m in a month.

I have friends here in the USA who are not lazy and not extravagant and plan their life very well. Some are working, investing their money and some are doing businesses between Nigeria and USA. All of them I know at least a minimum of 10 own a minimum of 1 million US dollars in assets. One of my friend lost his job about 5 years ago and he is only buying used laptops and sell in bulk in Nigeria. He just bought another investment property in New York for $450,000 and paid cash. All of us came to USA with nothing more than $100 in our pocket.

9 Likes

Re: N20million Or Green Card: Which Would You Prefer? by ilovebitches(m): 5:45pm On Oct 09, 2015
Green card ko,mtchwwwwwww
20millz all the way

Buy a house worth N15m
Buy a car worth N5m
#Lifecontinues
Re: N20million Or Green Card: Which Would You Prefer? by ttmacoy: 5:51pm On Oct 09, 2015
I disagree.

In my opinion those working as contract staff in Nigerian banks are pretty much on crap pay working in shitty conditions with little prospects to progress.

How much do contract staff earn in Nigeria? maximum N70k so lets assume N1m annually which is $5k. Starting pay for tellers at Chase is about $15 per hour which is about $30k per annum full time. Someone on $30k pays about $5k on taxes for the year leaving just under $25k as take home.

Barclays customer service start on about 13k GBP and after tax take home is just over 12k GBP.

Also the proportion of contract staff in Nigerian banks to US or UK banks is very very high and ridiculous.

According to their 2014 annual report, GTBank has only 3,340 permanent staff with the rest being contract staff. Compare this to the population of Nigeria at c 170m.

I don't know where you got the impression that bankers in Nigerian earn more than the US or UK but it is so so wrong.

If the person who has been offered N20 million has prospects for teller jobs in banks as an ND holder then N20m is a lot of money, but if he has prospects for higher paying and better jobs then not so much.

Mcteeblack:

Wat I actually mean by d bank is dat, Nigeria bank payment is better when u remove tax, and other bills. Those in Nigeria would have more savings than those working in US bank. But am not talking of those working in d I.T department or the ogas at d executive branches. Am talking about those that attend to us at d bank here

1 Like

Re: N20million Or Green Card: Which Would You Prefer? by babaarewa(m): 5:54pm On Oct 09, 2015
What is green card? I hate that name. Oya send me my N20 Million sharp sharp. My account # is ready.
Re: N20million Or Green Card: Which Would You Prefer? by magicminister: 5:55pm On Oct 09, 2015
LONGFELLOW02:
20million Naira. .

20million is enuf for me to start Good agricultural business and My Political career.

4ck green card
4ck any country

Naija is My Home. . .

you would be broke before you know it.
Loool... 20 million cannot not even scratch the surface in the world of politics!

2 Likes

Re: N20million Or Green Card: Which Would You Prefer? by treelover: 6:24pm On Oct 09, 2015
magicminister:
[size=20pt]Hmmm

I will take green card
[/size]

If I get a green card to u.s. and I am allowed to enjoy the benefits american citizens enjoy, I can make back that 20 million and even more within 2 years after acquiring a college degree from u.s.....

Looking at things from another angle, 20 million naira is less than 200 thousand dollars and the average folks in u.s. go homr with about 50-80k dollars after tax.
The smarter choice would be the green card.
The easier choice is 20 million.

Disclaimer
I have been greatly criticized for my choice by some people that think it makes no sense so I feel the need to tell you guys a real life story.
My hitherto unemployed friend whom we fondly called fabulous won the us visa lottery about 2 years ago.
Now he is in the united states. He works in walmart or one of the huge stores.
He now owns his own home (three bed room apartment) and recently bought a brand new car.
He is currently pursuing a part time degree in a university and at same time working his walmart shift.
He enjoys the best healthcare, best gyms, 24/7 light and good roads. That alone will add another 5 years to his life and that is worth more than 20 milla looool

Currently, his wage is below the average income in the united states because he has no tetiary education u.s. and the nigerian degeee is not regarded.
He is working hard towards attaining a degree in accounting.

Even with 20million, he cannot enjoy such opportunities in Nigeria.

P.s. 20million cannot buy you a u.s. greencard like some people are insinuating

20 million is huge to some extent but it cannot buy you a house in ikeja or lekki phase1 or v.g.c. or ikoyi.

20 million cannot launch you a large scale business nor cannot it let you into the oil downstream sector.

Keep that at the back of your mind.

Do you ever wonder why most folks that cross over dont wanna come back??

That's true, the average employed green card holder in America makes US$48,000 ANUALLY, same applies to countries in the Caribbean

Re: N20million Or Green Card: Which Would You Prefer? by 989900: 6:25pm On Oct 09, 2015
mufasaus:
I just came back from Nigeria and I have been living in the US for almost 20 something years after graduating from Unilag with an engineering degree so I know USA very well and I have done quite a lot of business in Nigeria and I know Nigeria very well.

[s]Please do not and I repeat NEVER equalize a USA green card with 50 million in Nigeria[/s]. They are not the same. If you work very hard in the USA and plan your life very well and not extravagant. [s]You can easily become a millionaire in USA dollars within a short period of time.[/s]

Some of my colleagues children who own businesses and a dozen of houses in high brow area in Lagos can not even secure a job.

[s]Please take a green card over any amount of money given to you in Nigeria any day and any time.[/s]

[s]Do you know, you can even start a business from USA to Nigeria and vice versa and make #20m in a month.[/s]

I have friends here in the USA who are not lazy and not extravagant and plan their life very well. Some are working, investing their money and some are doing businesses between Nigeria and USA. All of them I know at least a minimum of 10 own a minimum of 1 million US dollars in assets. One of my friend lost his job about 5 years ago and he is only buying used laptops and sell in bulk in Nigeria. He just bought another investment property in New York for $450,000 and paid cash. All of us came to USA with nothing more than $100 in our pocket.

Your comment is rather limited/myopic.

Read other comments on here.

Re: N20million Or Green Card: Which Would You Prefer? by jookco(m): 6:57pm On Oct 09, 2015
I'm in new york city , 20 million you can make it in a year here. America sweet forget story.

1 Like

Re: N20million Or Green Card: Which Would You Prefer? by modelboy(m): 7:16pm On Oct 09, 2015
magicminister:
[size=20pt]Hmmm

I will take green card
[/size]

If I get a green card to u.s. and I am allowed to enjoy the benefits american citizens enjoy, I can make back that 20 million and even more within 2 years after acquiring a college degree from u.s.....

Looking at things from another angle, 20 million naira is less than 200 thousand dollars and the average folks in u.s. go homr with about 50-80k dollars after tax.
The smarter choice would be the green card.
The easier choice is 20 million.

Disclaimer
I have been greatly criticized for my choice by some people that think it makes no sense so I feel the need to tell you guys a real life story.
My hitherto unemployed friend whom we fondly called fabulous won the us visa lottery about 2 years ago.
Now he is in the united states. He works in walmart or one of the huge stores.
He now owns his own home (three bed room apartment) and recently bought a brand new car.
He is currently pursuing a part time degree in a university and at same time working his walmart shift.
He enjoys the best healthcare, best gyms, 24/7 light and good roads. That alone will add another 5 years to his life and that is worth more than 20 milla looool

Currently, his wage is below the average income in the united states because he has no tetiary education u.s. and the nigerian degeee is not regarded.
He is working hard towards attaining a degree in accounting.

Even with 20million, he cannot enjoy such opportunities in Nigeria.

P.s. 20million cannot buy you a u.s. greencard like some people are insinuating

20 million is huge to some extent but it cannot buy you a house in ikeja or lekki phase1 or v.g.c. or ikoyi.

20 million cannot launch you a large scale business nor cannot it let you into the oil downstream sector.

Keep that at the back of your mind.

Do you ever wonder why most folks that cross over dont wanna come back??

i feel like when God created you he added extra brain in your head.. you have the smartest opinion here. good-looks brother!.

2 Likes

Re: N20million Or Green Card: Which Would You Prefer? by brownsugarxxx: 7:16pm On Oct 09, 2015
What a question, thunder fire green card lol
Re: N20million Or Green Card: Which Would You Prefer? by modelboy(m): 7:20pm On Oct 09, 2015
Classicool:

Lol see this mumu dem dey pluck money 4 tree 4 dea
i swear what that guy just said is the 100% truth of how things happens in the u.s.a you could get anything via credit too as long as you're a citizen Car, education,house e.t.c everything on loan no one to hurry you up to pay....
Re: N20million Or Green Card: Which Would You Prefer? by flipflop(f): 7:22pm On Oct 09, 2015
olahero:
20million... walai i go manage it and become millionaire.
LOL! With 20 million naira, you are already a millionaire.

1 Like

Re: N20million Or Green Card: Which Would You Prefer? by Nobody: 7:27pm On Oct 09, 2015
Your mentee took a loan to go build a house he will probably not stay in it for a month combined... he is on a long thing. Do me a favor, ask him how many times he has been to that mansion of his at Lekki. On a good day though, he can still pay off the loans . People need to understand that Economies are structured differently. Aside from this, education will open the door to many opportunities. When I mention education, I mean an inclusive one. The argument about people paying mortgages and loans does not suffice no matter what the statistics says. Let's take a step back and discuss about brothers, sisters and friends including foes that have been presented with financial help to establish or reestablish businesses and failed; mind you they are being helped by the same people most of you deride as being 'slaves' in another man's land. Note, most family members have ordinarily sent more than the mentioned amount to their family members to start one business or the other and yet nothing to show for it. The crux of it all is, if you choose to use the money to establish a business, get educated, be informed before you jump into it. The richest business men and women still owe, however, they can afford to pay. Omo the money is enticing, but proper planning and education will take you far with the money.
lancee:

How many of them , i have some of them even as doctors /bankers if they are really close to you , they will tell you the truth ..i do not want to mention names of of this forum ..my mentee just took a loan of 80k pounds to go and complete his house in lekki ..a Doctor ..if he has the money he wont take that loan cos he has a mortgage /rent in london he is paying for 30 years

And do u know how much tax these people pay ? some get huge student loan ..so many stories my brother ..lets just leave it there
Re: N20million Or Green Card: Which Would You Prefer? by hustla(m): 7:28pm On Oct 09, 2015
sleek82:
Well somany might see no sense in this but i still would say it anyway. I currently live in canada with a green card and i work $23/hr and 40hrs a week, pls do the maths and calc how much i earn in a month....mind you, this is my first job and i am just 4mnths old in Canada. Somany would pick 20mill and think they would start a biz with it....yeah it makes sense, only that 20mill might not sustain you for a long time and dont forget that theres no extra income to care for your needs, which means you probably would be practically living on the profits made from the biz you are starting and who says the biz will even boom?....remember you have families too that would not let you rest from the fact that they heard that you just received 20mill ooo. As i am, i can travel to any country i so like....any country!
But just analysing the two things, i think the green card is better cos it would give you the opportunity to make a good living both for you and your immediate family and you can make a living that would save you 20mill at the long run but on the other hand, 20mill will almost never give you a green card even if you get successful at the long run. This is just ma opinion sha ooo

Which way dey for Canada?
Re: N20million Or Green Card: Which Would You Prefer? by Nobody: 7:29pm On Oct 09, 2015
Omo ya head dey dere!
modelboy:
i feel like when God created you he added extra brain in your head.. you have the smartest opinion here. good-looks brother!.

1 Like

Re: N20million Or Green Card: Which Would You Prefer? by kilokeys(m): 7:32pm On Oct 09, 2015
I have seen millions go just like that... Guys wake up.. It ain't 20 mill dollars..

An average engineer earns 125,000 dollars per annum..

Equivalent to abt 25 million naira..

So what d heck.. With mortgage, security and loans and a chance at a better life... Knowing I could make that amount every year..

God punish 20 million naira

2 Likes

Re: N20million Or Green Card: Which Would You Prefer? by fragrant(f): 7:38pm On Oct 09, 2015
Green card all d way.

1 Like

Re: N20million Or Green Card: Which Would You Prefer? by Nobody: 7:58pm On Oct 09, 2015
mufasaus:

Please do not and I repeat NEVER equalize a USA green card with 50 million in Nigeria. They are not the same. If you work very hard in the USA and plan your life very well and not extravagant. You can easily become a millionaire in USA dollars within a short period of time.

Please take a green card over any amount of money given to you in Nigeria any day and any time.

Do you know, you can even start a business from USA to Nigeria and vice versa and make #20m in a month.

What a myopic viewpoint! Going by your analysis, someone like Femi Otedola started his business in Nigeria less than 20 years ago and today he's a billionaire in U.S. dollars. So, what are you saying?

1 Like

Re: N20million Or Green Card: Which Would You Prefer? by RaptorX: 8:00pm On Oct 09, 2015
mufasaus:

So your friend was able to buy a 450,000$ property from selling used laptops in Nigeria. Why do you people like to give false hope to gullible youths with all these fantastic tale of life in America.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: N20million Or Green Card: Which Would You Prefer? by Nobody: 8:05pm On Oct 09, 2015
989900:

Your comment is rather limited/myopic.

Read other comments on here.

True l agree with you, anybody can post figures on the internet but when the chips are down, you will no it goes beyond quoting unsubstantiated figures online tongue
Re: N20million Or Green Card: Which Would You Prefer? by Mcteeblack: 8:06pm On Oct 09, 2015
kilokeys:
I have seen millions go just like that... Guys wake up.. It ain't 20 mill dollars..

An average engineer earns 125,000 dollars per annum..

Equivalent to abt 25 million naira..

So what d heck.. With mortgage, security and loans and a chance at a better life... Knowing I could make that amount every year..

God punish 20 million naira
Most comments here are just u enlighten each other. And nobody is saying an average engineer doesn't make $125k per annual. But
* did u start making it immediately he got here?
* how many years did it take him to collect his course to work.
* what is his take home after tax?
* how much does he have left after all bills.

There is opportunities here but don't just think datz how we make dat money easily. Don't forget dat our certificate is not regarded unless we had a course to it over there.
For those dat have a good business idea, pls take the money and invest real good. Am sure most people saying it's certainly easy in America ain't even in America or they gat a rich uncle or dad who hot their back.
And if you know u can't invest 20million naira, you can NEVER invest even 1 trillion when given to you.
I've once discuss dis topic before coming over and I choose green card. But getting here I realized d different

4 Likes

Re: N20million Or Green Card: Which Would You Prefer? by Nobody: 8:08pm On Oct 09, 2015
RaptorX:
So your friend was able to buy a 450,000$ property from selling used laptops in Nigeria. Why do you people like to give false hope to gullible youths with all these fantastic tale of life in America.
mufasaus:
I really enjoyed this conversation between all of you. I am highly interested in this bulldozers. I have tried my hands on so many businesses in Nigeria and been burnt so many times. Auto, Boat, Computers and Eletronics equipments. You can not trust even your own blood and I am getting tired of staying overseas. Been in the US for over 22 years.

My question to you forumites is "Can this be done without your presence in Nigeria?. I have found out 99% of businesses other than real estate requires presence in the country. I am looking to build something first before leaving for Nigeria permanently.

FYI,
I stll have a very good job paying extremely well and this is not something to leave for uncertainties. I just dont have a life here.

Thanks for your responses.

l thought l was the only one who saw that baloney, dem just dey quote figures on Nairaland, 450k dollars selling used laptop in Nigeria, l laugh in jamaica accent grin grin.

2 Likes

Re: N20million Or Green Card: Which Would You Prefer? by 989900: 8:19pm On Oct 09, 2015
sexydivaomalich:

l thought l was the only one who saw that baloney, dem just dey quote figures on Nairaland, 450k dollars selling used laptop in Nigeria, l laugh in jamaica accent grin grin

He is a dreamer, have a look at his earlier topics from 2008. Who makes big dough from used computers anymore these days.

I did that 17 years ago; brought over 1,000 units of used Compaq and Dell PCs from the US, that was then -- who'd buy that sh!t from you now?

I purposely didn't strike that part out from his post 'cause I have no tangible proof to call his baloney.

However, when an adult tells you a US Residence Permit is better than a billion dollars or more ( of course he implied that in his post), then you know he is just full of it.
Re: N20million Or Green Card: Which Would You Prefer? by NaijaCuzin: 8:20pm On Oct 09, 2015
AlphaDibia:
Gleen card
Omo IBO no b Gleen card ...Anyways wetin no say b d meaning of "green card" :-/ :/

1 Like

Re: N20million Or Green Card: Which Would You Prefer? by Nobody: 8:22pm On Oct 09, 2015
989900:

He is a dreamer, have a look at his earlier topics from 2008. Who makes big dough from used computers anymore these days.

I did that 17 years ago; brought over 1,000 units of used Compaq and Dell PCs from the US, that was then -- who'd buy that sh!t from you now?

I purposely didn't strike that part out from his post 'cause I have no tangible proof to call his baloney.

However, when an adult tells you a US Residence Permit is better than a billion dollars or more ( of course he implied that in his post), then you know he is just full of it.
mufasaus:
I really enjoyed this conversation between all of you. I am highly interested in this bulldozers. I have tried my hands on so many businesses in Nigeria and been burnt so many times. Auto, Boat, Computers and Eletronics equipments. You can not trust even your own blood and I am getting tired of staying overseas. Been in the US for over 22 years.

My question to you forumites is "Can this be done without your presence in Nigeria?. I have found out 99% of businesses other than real estate requires presence in the country. I am looking to build something first before leaving for Nigeria permanently.

FYI,
I stll have a very good job paying extremely well and this is not something to leave for uncertainties. I just dont have a life here.

Thanks for your responses.
.... grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: N20million Or Green Card: Which Would You Prefer? by Paulpenny(m): 8:23pm On Oct 09, 2015
Dottore:
I will take twenty million and use 1 million to buy a citizen wife that will help with the green card. grin

Nice

1 Like

Re: N20million Or Green Card: Which Would You Prefer? by paycash: 8:23pm On Oct 09, 2015
Green card ku part 2 slavery ni

Abeg give me N20M
I will invite five oyinbo and give them Nija Green card to came and work for me in my company here.

If politicians are not stupid N20, 000,000 enough to start good life.
Re: N20million Or Green Card: Which Would You Prefer? by 989900: 8:32pm On Oct 09, 2015
sexydivaomalich:
.... grin grin grin

grin cheesy grin

Why would you do such a thing? wink tongue

1 Like

Re: N20million Or Green Card: Which Would You Prefer? by aspirebig: 8:32pm On Oct 09, 2015
jookco:
I'm in new york city , 20 million you can make it in a year here. America sweet forget story.

Yes it is very possible, even here in Nigeria. Some people make than that. But they are very few.

But over there in new York, the tax is higher, some people are in doing some dubious things to make money.

Is not just making the money, but is it through a legal means or not.

One thing people should try to understand very well is that "All fingers are not equal" and nothing can ever make them equal.

This is a natural rule.

Take for instance, there are people all living in Togo. And they decided to Nigeria for just one month holidays.

The first person come by road and stay in a one room face me I face you,apartment, in remote area of Agege or Ajegunle, Lagos, the host is a factory worker on 20k monthly salary. The host cannot afford cable tv but watches premiership in his next door neighbours house, or in viewing centre when the neighbour is not around. The host is just there, living from hand to mouth.

The second guy came by air, but took a taxi to say Gbagada or Surulere where his uncle lives alone in a 2 bedroom flat, and he has room to himself all through the visit, they go to cinema and eatry weekly.The host is a graduate on 100k monthly salary, just trying to meet up like his mates.He has a GoTv that he is watching, he has a 3rd hand Toyota tiny light Camry , Nigeria used.

Then here comes the third guy that was flown into Nigeria in a private jet, then 2015 Range Rover Sports picked him from the airport to a very expensive, expansive, beautiful and state of art mansion in V.I....The guy's Uncle, an international business man lives in a Duplex with a cute BQ, tastefully furnished. In his garage are three other suvs all brand new. The uncle pays full annual subscription of 13k x12 = 156k yearly on DSTV. Live matches are begging to be watched...Flat screen are in all the rooms, even inside kitchen,with latest sound systems and devices, the uncle makes over N100m annually. The following week, his uncle took him to visit took him along to his annual vacation in France, Dubai and Canada, they spend two weeks and he really enjoyed the trip abroad. He saw other parts of the world. Then on coming back, they travelled to Abuja and also he visited choice hotels in Abuja and Lagos.His uncle did alot of shopping for him.

Now, one month is over.

This is in no to disrespect those living in Agege , Ajegunle , Gbagada and Surulere, we have some big people there as well, afterall it is not everyone in VI that is rich and comfortable. Just painting a picture of a first timer in Nigeria and how they will perceive the country based on their experiences and environment. These things happen to those living in abroad too. They have places that are for the super rich, average guys and low income earners.

If you ask three of them to narrate their experiences while they travelled to Nigeria, it can never be the same.

The first that stayed in agege or ajegunle will have memories of his host one room apartment, where they queued up to go to toilet, bath and how they stay In darkness when there's no light.

The second person will remember that his host probably had one small "i better pass my neighbour' gen, then his Gotv channels, then his tiny light camry, and his neighbours in Gbagada.

The third guy now will have memories of his host fine Duplex in VI..., his 200kva gen and 20 battery inverter, his 50 inches flat screen, their visits to France, Dubai and Canada, his shopping, his Abuja visit etc.

The whole thing in a nutshell is, is not everyone that enjoying in Nigeria/Abroad.

Many people in Nigeria are far better than people in Abroad and vice versa. We just have bad leaders that run the systems down here.

Your experience, exposure, travelling, education , interaction, , knowledge, understanding etc determines your level of reasoning.

Do not use your situation to generalize , people are living better or worst than you.

The same N20m some spend and they dont feel it.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Shoprite Nigeria Warns Against Internet Scam / Nigerian Millionaires On The Rise / Lady Loses N5million She Was Paid After Losing Job To Church Micro-finance Bank

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.