Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,726 members, 7,809,766 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:32 PM

See How The Media Affects People's Self-esteem - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / See How The Media Affects People's Self-esteem (1377 Views)

Overly Tall Guys How Do U Cope With Self Esteem Cuz Mine Is Killing Me!! / Any Man Who Thinks All Women Want From Men Is Money, Has Low Self Esteem. / Pics: Girls With Big Booties And Low Self Esteem (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

See How The Media Affects People's Self-esteem by vikel2104: 5:28pm On Oct 10, 2015
What comes into your head when you hear the word " beauty " or "handsome"?
Hold your thoughts, feelings and images and let me try something. From here on in, do me a favour and FORGET EVERYTHING that you currently know or have been taught about beauty . FORGET that you should be a certain size. Forget that you need perfect skin to be seen as flawless. Forget about that fake tan that you need to glow. It starts here. I want the definition of beauty/handsomeness to cover character and not just measurements and proportions. I am angered by the increasing amount of people losing self-worth and letting their confidence become crippled by the media's outlandish remarks. I want to start... a beauty revolution.

Imagine a free world in which you could wake up in the morning and not feel obliged to meet ANY standards. A world where you didn't fear being judged for the clothes you wear or the face you were born with.
The media is harmful in warping the minds of adolescents and adults to believe the perfect body or the perfect face is a fixed set of criteria.

The phrase, “ Beauty is in the eye of the beholder”, used to be a comforting and honest saying. It made us feel like we can all be loved and that we are good enough for the people who surround us.
When the media broadcasts titles such as “slim down for summer”, “improve yourself with plastic surgery” and “contour your features”, the phrase becomes irrelevant. We forget that people treasure us for so much more than just our appearance and suddenly, we feel a lot less valuable.
Nobody should feel pressure to look a certain way just to feel happy or wanted.
Beauty in the media is portrayed as one stereotype, bracketing off the perfect man or woman. If we fall short of these expectations, inevitably, we don’t feel enough.
But you are. You are enough.

The following will help you believe me and understand why:

The false images in the media portray unrealistic standards. Photos are airbrushed and photo shopped to perfection. You will never look like the models in magazines because most of them don't look like that themselves!
The images only provide damaging outcomes such as jealousy, low self-esteem and sometimes even depression. The bar is set exceptionally high and the bar itself is an illusion. It doesn’t exist. Beauty magazines promote self-hatred, low self-esteem and poor body image.
In a humane world, there should be no correct answer to “What is beauty?” It is common fact that what one person finds attractive, the next person may not. Yet, we are told by the media that one thing is pretty and the other is ugly. Nobody should be able to define what beauty is. So, what on earth gives us the right or royalty to believe that we can or should?

On top of this, the media deliberately targets children and adolescents at a time when their brains are developing, their imaginations are vivid and they have a tendency to believe the unbelievable. At a young age, children may not have the ability to rule out propositions made by the media – it simply won't cross their mind as they won't recognise they could be false. If you’re told that “you can’t be beautiful unless you are slim”, the likelihood is, you will take it as gospel. After all, when you’re a child your perception of the world is so pure and the world seems so good. Why would the media lie? But the sad truth is - they do. Constantly.
Studies show that persistent exposure to “ideal beauty” in the media takes psychological effects in people of all ages. From distorted body image to low self-esteem, the results are devastating. The average consumer is exposed to 1,500 advertisements each day, and an average young woman will have received over 250,000 commercial messages through the media by the
time she is 17. I think that is absolutely appalling. Advertisements erode one’s
self esteem , then within the same advert offer to sell it back to you one
product at a time. The media poses an enormous threat to our people. It sells irrational messages in attractive packages, making it seem normal to change your image drastically, or go to unhealthy extremes to achieve an ideal
that was never actually set in stone in the first place.

The medias representation of beauty is clearly doing more harm than good. Do we really want to submit to a restricted way of life that causes us to be unsatisfied with the skin we're in? I really can't stand to see anyone else get affected by the ridiculous labels and branding given to people by the media.
As cliché as it sounds, (I don't even care anymore), everyone is beautiful and handsome. You just need to take the time to look.

Source:http://www.selfgrowth.com/articles/the-beauty-ideal-is-the-media-destroying-our-self-esteem

1 Like 1 Share

Re: See How The Media Affects People's Self-esteem by henribj(m): 5:29pm On Oct 10, 2015
does who want to be affected will be affected
but still, a beautiful woman is a beautiful woman, a handsome man is a handsome man, regardless of whatever the media says about it, or if the person in question is big, fat or skinny.
#justmyopinion
Re: See How The Media Affects People's Self-esteem by agarawu23(m): 5:31pm On Oct 10, 2015
Romance section huh?
Re: See How The Media Affects People's Self-esteem by eleojo23: 5:31pm On Oct 10, 2015
True talk.
Re: See How The Media Affects People's Self-esteem by vikel2104: 5:32pm On Oct 10, 2015
agarawu23:
Romance section huh?
Where should it have been?
Re: See How The Media Affects People's Self-esteem by Nobody: 5:33pm On Oct 10, 2015
Talk is cheap. When OP marries a toothless dame, I'll believe this.
Re: See How The Media Affects People's Self-esteem by vikel2104: 5:36pm On Oct 10, 2015
RickRichards:
Talk is cheap. When OP marries a toothless dame, I'll believe this.
You still did not get the point. To you, she she may be a toothless dame but to someone else, she is a beauty. Do you know that no matter how handsome you think you are, there is someone out there who will say about you "the guy no too fine" meanwhile you are thinking that you've got the handsomest face in town.

2 Likes

Re: See How The Media Affects People's Self-esteem by Disneylady(f): 5:38pm On Oct 10, 2015
vikel2104:

You still did not get the point. To you, she she may be a toothless dame but to someone else, she is a beauty.

You are on point
Re: See How The Media Affects People's Self-esteem by Nobody: 5:43pm On Oct 10, 2015
vikel2104:

You still did not get the point. To you, she she may be a toothless dame but to me - the OP, she is a beauty.
Re: See How The Media Affects People's Self-esteem by Nobody: 5:47pm On Oct 10, 2015
Disneylady:

You are on point
I can't seem to recall inviting Minnie Mouse to the party. undecided
Re: See How The Media Affects People's Self-esteem by BlackrulesDworld(m): 5:47pm On Oct 10, 2015
Ok
Re: See How The Media Affects People's Self-esteem by Disneylady(f): 5:52pm On Oct 10, 2015
RickRichards:

I can't seem to recall inviting Minnie Mouse to the party. undecided
It's Mickey Mouse, doll!
Re: See How The Media Affects People's Self-esteem by Nobody: 6:00pm On Oct 10, 2015
Disneylady:

It's Mickey Mouse, doll!
Dear Nairalanders, what do we have here? An ignorant Disneylady. Everybody knows Minnie is the female mouse. Smh! Or are you by any means transgendered? Pray tell, we can keep a secret. You are?!!!
Chai! Punch, Tribune, The Sun, ChannelsTV, AIT, come see something!!!

1 Like

Re: See How The Media Affects People's Self-esteem by BlackrulesDworld(m): 6:01pm On Oct 10, 2015
vikel2104:
What comes into your head when you hear the word " beauty " or "handsome"?
Hold your thoughts, feelings and images and let me try something. From here on in, do me a favour and FORGET EVERYTHING that you currently know or have been taught about beauty . FORGET that you should be a certain size. Forget that you need perfect skin to be seen as flawless. Forget about that fake tan that you need to glow. It starts here. I want the definition of beauty/handsomeness to cover character and not just measurements and proportions. I am angered by the increasing amount of people losing self-worth and letting their confidence become crippled by the media's outlandish remarks. I want to start... a beauty revolution.

Imagine a free world in which you could wake up in the morning and not feel obliged to meet ANY standards. A world where you didn't fear being judged for the clothes you wear or the face you were born with.
The media is harmful in warping the minds of adolescents and adults to believe the perfect body or the perfect face is a fixed set of criteria.

The phrase, “ Beauty is in the eye of the beholder”, used to be a comforting and honest saying. It made us feel like we can all be loved and that we are good enough for the people who surround us.
When the media broadcasts titles such as “slim down for summer”, “improve yourself with plastic surgery” and “contour your features”, the phrase becomes irrelevant. We forget that people treasure us for so much more than just our appearance and suddenly, we feel a lot less valuable.
Nobody should feel pressure to look a certain way just to feel happy or wanted.
Beauty in the media is portrayed as one stereotype, bracketing off the perfect man or woman. If we fall short of these expectations, inevitably, we don’t feel enough.
But you are. You are enough.

The following will help you believe me and understand why:

The false images in the media portray unrealistic standards. Photos are airbrushed and photo shopped to perfection. You will never look like the models in magazines because most of them don't look like that themselves!
The images only provide damaging outcomes such as jealousy, low self-esteem and sometimes even depression. The bar is set exceptionally high and the bar itself is an illusion. It doesn’t exist. Beauty magazines promote self-hatred, low self-esteem and poor body image.
In a humane world, there should be no correct answer to “What is beauty?” It is common fact that what one person finds attractive, the next person may not. Yet, we are told by the media that one thing is pretty and the other is ugly. Nobody should be able to define what beauty is. So, what on earth gives us the right or royalty to believe that we can or should?

On top of this, the media deliberately targets children and adolescents at a time when their brains are developing, their imaginations are vivid and they have a tendency to believe the unbelievable. At a young age, children may not have the ability to rule out propositions made by the media – it simply won't cross their mind as they won't recognise they could be false. If you’re told that “you can’t be beautiful unless you are slim”, the likelihood is, you will take it as gospel. After all, when you’re a child your perception of the world is so pure and the world seems so good. Why would the media lie? But the sad truth is - they do. Constantly.
Studies show that persistent exposure to “ideal beauty” in the media takes psychological effects in people of all ages. From distorted body image to low self-esteem, the results are devastating. The average consumer is exposed to 1,500 advertisements each day, and an average young woman will have received over 250,000 commercial messages through the media by the
time she is 17. I think that is absolutely appalling. Advertisements erode one’s
self esteem , then within the same advert offer to sell it back to you one
product at a time. The media poses an enormous threat to our people. It sells irrational messages in attractive packages, making it seem normal to change your image drastically, or go to unhealthy extremes to achieve an ideal
that was never actually set in stone in the first place.

The medias representation of beauty is clearly doing more harm than good. Do we really want to submit to a restricted way of life that causes us to be unsatisfied with the skin we're in? I really can't stand to see anyone else get affected by the ridiculous labels and branding given to people by the media.
As cliché as it sounds, (I don't even care anymore), everyone is beautiful and handsome. You just need to take the time to look.

Source:http://www.selfgrowth.com/articles/the-beauty-ideal-is-the-media-destroying-our-self-esteem

Topic should be "How social media affects vikel2104 self esteem"

1 Like

Re: See How The Media Affects People's Self-esteem by vikel2104: 6:07pm On Oct 10, 2015
BlackrulesDworld:

Topic should be "How social media affects vikel2014 self esteem"
Suggestion noted.
By the way, you did not have to quote the entire article just to post a reply. It doesn't look nice. Please unquote the article.

1 Like

Re: See How The Media Affects People's Self-esteem by Disneylady(f): 6:09pm On Oct 10, 2015
RickRichards:

Dear Nairalanders, what do we have here? An ignorant Disneylady. Everybody knows Minnie is the female mouse. Smh! Or are you by any means transgendered? Pray tell, we can keep a secret. You are?!!!
Chai! Punch, Tribune, The Sun, ChannelsTV, AIT, come see something!!!
That shows your level of comprehension, I was being sarcastic here! Iranmu
Re: See How The Media Affects People's Self-esteem by Nobody: 6:15pm On Oct 10, 2015
Disneylady:

That shows your level of comprehension, I was being sarcastic here! Iranmu
Dear Nairalanders, see the rickety wall she put up as defence. cheesy
Funny even when she's trying to look serious, isn't she a true Disneylady? She truly belongs in cartoons. cheesy
Re: See How The Media Affects People's Self-esteem by vikel2104: 6:17pm On Oct 10, 2015
RickRichards:

Funny even when she's trying to look serious, isn't she a true Disneylady? She truly belongs in cartoons. cheesy
Mr. Richard, abeg no derail this thread again. Na beg I dey beg cheesy
Re: See How The Media Affects People's Self-esteem by Disneylady(f): 6:30pm On Oct 10, 2015
RickRichards:

angry
Re: See How The Media Affects People's Self-esteem by Chidexter(m): 6:51pm On Oct 10, 2015
OBasanjo Coughs...
Oshiomole coughs coughs.
Re: See How The Media Affects People's Self-esteem by stano2(m): 8:02pm On Oct 10, 2015
op truly you are on point
Re: See How The Media Affects People's Self-esteem by vikel2104: 6:57am On Oct 12, 2015
^^thanks
Re: See How The Media Affects People's Self-esteem by vikel2104: 8:51am On Oct 12, 2015
Lalasticlala, I am making a request. You know what I mean. smiley
Re: See How The Media Affects People's Self-esteem by K9blunt(f): 11:48am On Oct 12, 2015
you're right and I was a victim, until I forced myself to wake up!

now I just do what I want not caring about anybody else as long as I don't hurt them physically /otherwise

the thing is do what makes you feel happy and comfortable. shikena
Re: See How The Media Affects People's Self-esteem by vikel2104: 11:07am On Apr 07, 2016
I'm back...

(1) (Reply)

Help She Love Me Because Am Fair In Complexion. / Nigerian Guy Publicly Presents Hamper To Police Woman / Gals Are Too Much,read The Joke Below.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.