Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,847 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:10 PM

See A Photo Of N1 Note That Was Used In 1979 When $1 Was Equal To N0.647 - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / See A Photo Of N1 Note That Was Used In 1979 When $1 Was Equal To N0.647 (51600 Views)

Decreeing Boycott Of Arabic Is Equal To Boko Haram – Tolu Ogunlesi / Precious Chikwendu Denies Her Account Was Used To Launder Money / President Buhari And The "Promise" Of Making $1 Equal To N1 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: See A Photo Of N1 Note That Was Used In 1979 When $1 Was Equal To N0.647 by Mbediogu(m): 9:04am On Oct 11, 2015
[quote author=obiremy post=38867456]One Naira note with the picture of the Old central bank building in front. At the time of its

I remember as an undergrad buying an 'okrika' white shirt and a black trouser. There was a hundred dollar note in the pocket. I was asked to take it to CBN office. There I was given a form to fill and asked to return in 2days. I got 65 naira which was big money then, much more than i spent on the clothes.
Re: See A Photo Of N1 Note That Was Used In 1979 When $1 Was Equal To N0.647 by ekpesa(m): 9:20am On Oct 11, 2015
Pls can someone interpret the meaning of the arabic~Islamic writings on our currency. are we supposed to be an Islamic country? Hope no group of people are taking the majority of Nigerians for granted.
Re: See A Photo Of N1 Note That Was Used In 1979 When $1 Was Equal To N0.647 by noeloge82(m): 9:21am On Oct 11, 2015
uboma:
From the late 70s up to the early 80s were Nigerian's golden years.

There were no hassles securing visas to other countries. We even had the Brits and other foreigners flocking into Nigeria to secure employments in our universities.

As a citizen of the country, upon graduation from the university, a brand new car + accomodation + employment was provided by the govt.

We were the envy of other countries. But the tables has turned around and NGN 1 equals to USD220 now. There's no employment for graduates now. the list is endless and no need recounting them (to avoid emotional breakdown).

Just recently, I was shocked to hear that the govt of Ghana still provides a car and accomodation to graduates of medicine and nursing. About 2 months back, I sent NGN100,000.00 to Ghana and after the transfer via Access Bank, I discovered that the equivalent in Ghana Cedis was just one thousand and a few hundreds to my NGN100,000.00.

Our leaders have sucked Nigeria dry. Will Nigeria attain her golden era again remains to be seen.

Hmmmmmmmm!
U are not been truthful or maybe u don't know how to calculate d exchange rate ghana money has been devalued and if u want to be sure Nigeria exchange rate to dollar is about 220 while ghana is about 470 now when ur given 1 ghana cidii add d 3 devalued zero to know d exact value u see 1 cedii is actually 1000
Where u buy joy soap 1cedii 20peswe that 1200 confirm and besure or google it and stop confusing urself
Re: See A Photo Of N1 Note That Was Used In 1979 When $1 Was Equal To N0.647 by laudate: 9:34am On Oct 11, 2015
macolino:
The good old days,I could buy myself,choco milo,goodie goodie and oxford biscuit and still have 10kobo change..we have lost it.

Bros', I hail oh! Why didn't you invite me to your 40th birthday? cheesy

Mbediogu:

I remember as an undergrad buying an 'okrika' white shirt and a black trouser. There was a hundred dollar note in the pocket. I was asked to take it to CBN office. There I was given a form to fill and asked to return in 2days. I got 65 naira which was big money then, much more than i spent on the clothes.

Ichie! I dey hail oh.... we recognise you as one of the highly esteemed elders of our time! Please send our own share of the drinks you distributed during your 40th birthday, down this side! cheesy
Re: See A Photo Of N1 Note That Was Used In 1979 When $1 Was Equal To N0.647 by ruffDiamond: 9:39am On Oct 11, 2015
grin
RedCard1:
Too many old folks on Nairaland.
hahaha one indomie eater generation detected cheesy me ma spent da money too o naija don spoiled mek I tell u the Golden years don pass tongue
Re: See A Photo Of N1 Note That Was Used In 1979 When $1 Was Equal To N0.647 by laudate: 9:45am On Oct 11, 2015
Bollinger:
Really? Fela's songs were released from the late 60's. And listening to it now, you would think he was still alive and the songs were released yesterday. Nigeria never had golden years. The rot in the country today has been going on since independence.

If Fela had been alive now, his songs would have been more critical. Are Fela's songs the only yardstick for measuring the state of the economy in Nigeria?? Or was Fela the sole authority on the Nigerian condition? Trust me, Nigeria had golden years. Talk to your elders who were graduates at that time, and let them share their stories with you. Then, compare what they had, with what we have today! undecided

In 1991, as a youngster I still remember buying an economy class return ticket with 12,000 naira to the UK on British Airways!

1 Like

Re: See A Photo Of N1 Note That Was Used In 1979 When $1 Was Equal To N0.647 by Nobody: 9:49am On Oct 11, 2015
this is scam there was no time in history where naira and dollar equaled
Re: See A Photo Of N1 Note That Was Used In 1979 When $1 Was Equal To N0.647 by Nobody: 9:51am On Oct 11, 2015
Ibos. Spoilt d iamge of this country
Re: See A Photo Of N1 Note That Was Used In 1979 When $1 Was Equal To N0.647 by Nobody: 9:52am On Oct 11, 2015
uboma:
From the late 70s up to the early 80s were Nigerian's golden years.

There were no hassles securing visas to other countries. We even had the Brits and other foreigners flocking into Nigeria to secure employments in our universities.

As a citizen of the country, upon graduation from the university, a brand new car + accomodation + employment was provided by the govt.

We were the envy of other countries. But the tables has turned around and NGN 1 equals to USD220 now. There's no employment for graduates now. the list is endless and no need recounting them (to avoid emotional breakdown).

Just recently, I was shocked to hear that the govt of Ghana still provides a car and accomodation to graduates of medicine and nursing. About 2 months back, I sent NGN100,000.00 to Ghana and after the transfer via Access Bank, I discovered that the equivalent in Ghana Cedis was just one thousand and a few hundreds to my NGN100,000.00.

Our leaders have sucked Nigeria dry. Will Nigeria attain her golden era again remains to be seen.

Hmmmmmmmm!
Blame it on old foóls and thieves like

IBB
OBASANJO
OGUIYI
GOWON
OJUKWU
JONADÁFT
DIEZANI
NGOZI IWEALA
FFK
TAFA BALAGUN
Alamieyeseigha (This one even don die sef)
E. T. C

INOPERABLE CANCER KILL ALL OF UNA angry

2 Likes

Re: See A Photo Of N1 Note That Was Used In 1979 When $1 Was Equal To N0.647 by laudate: 9:54am On Oct 11, 2015
udeagbalaC:

You were either still in diapers then, or were not even born. Ask your elders! sad
Re: See A Photo Of N1 Note That Was Used In 1979 When $1 Was Equal To N0.647 by Nobody: 9:55am On Oct 11, 2015
Kyase:

dont be decived by that, the naira has more value than Ghana's cedis. Four(4) zeros(0s) was removed from the cedis.

Please help me explain, does it mean the value of cedi was never even increased?
Re: See A Photo Of N1 Note That Was Used In 1979 When $1 Was Equal To N0.647 by Kyase(m): 9:57am On Oct 11, 2015
AzontoGhost:

you are rather deceiving yourself.. bring your Naira to Ghana and exchange for cedis with your so called four (4) zeros (0) undecided if that will make you feel good.
tongue

Have a happy Sunday anyway wink
lols okay na
same bro
Re: See A Photo Of N1 Note That Was Used In 1979 When $1 Was Equal To N0.647 by Kyase(m): 9:59am On Oct 11, 2015
engrkenny:

Please help me explain, does it mean the value of cedi was never even increased?
yes it was never increased, they just remove 4 zeros to seems so, its political bro
Re: See A Photo Of N1 Note That Was Used In 1979 When $1 Was Equal To N0.647 by hakinze00(m): 10:01am On Oct 11, 2015
Bitterleafsoup:
That was right before Buhari got in and ruin everything. Nigerians we never learn cha....
u c who is deceiving who? How much was dollar to naira wen jonathan left? Anytin wey bad wey Gej leave behind una go put d blame on buhari.mtcheww

1 Like

Re: See A Photo Of N1 Note That Was Used In 1979 When $1 Was Equal To N0.647 by Nobody: 10:02am On Oct 11, 2015
laudate:

You were either still in diapers then, or were not even born. Ask your elders! sad

Lol, he was not born yet. Who would believe.
Re: See A Photo Of N1 Note That Was Used In 1979 When $1 Was Equal To N0.647 by macolino(m): 10:02am On Oct 11, 2015
laudate:

Bros', I hail oh! Why didn't you invite me to your 40th birthday? cheesy

Ichie! I dey hail oh.... we recognise you as one of the highly esteemed elders of our time! Please send our own share of the drinks you distributed during your 40th birthday, down this side! cheesy
Lol..so person wey be 40 years na elder for your village?
Re: See A Photo Of N1 Note That Was Used In 1979 When $1 Was Equal To N0.647 by mickeymimi: 10:03am On Oct 11, 2015
good old days!
Re: See A Photo Of N1 Note That Was Used In 1979 When $1 Was Equal To N0.647 by Bollinger(m): 10:03am On Oct 11, 2015
laudate:

If Fela had been alive now, his songs would have been more critical. Are Fela's songs the only yardstick for measuring the state of the economy in Nigeria?? Or was Fela the sole authority on the Nigerian condition? Trust me, Nigeria had golden years. Talk to your elders who were graduates at that time, and let them share their stories with you. Then, compare what they had, with what we have today! undecided

In 1991, as a youngster I still remember buying an economy class return ticket with 12,000 naira to the UK on British Airways!

In the 1960's in the U.S, bread was 20 cents, today it's 2 dollars, depending on what kind you buy. That's a huge difference considering we still spend our cents today. A gallon of gas was 25 cents, today we buy as high as 3 or 4 dollars a gallon at the pump but we hardly feel it that much. Why? it's called adjustment to inflation. What Nigerians don't understand is there will always be inflation, what you do is you adjust to that inflation. That is what i do and that is what the american government does. This is why americans don't feel inflation too much. I already know that my retirement funds will not hold the same value it would today, so i am already adjusting the way i save towards it. And, no need to ask anyone, i can tell you for a fact, Nigeria was always crap. Growing up we'd never had power for a week straight. Roads were always crap; don't think it just started today. Police and Soldiers had always used civilians for target practice as is today. And the worst part is the Nigerian way of thinking has not changed from then till now. If it had, things would have changed, wouldn't it?
Re: See A Photo Of N1 Note That Was Used In 1979 When $1 Was Equal To N0.647 by laudate: 10:04am On Oct 11, 2015
macolino:
Lol..so person wey be 40 years na elder for your village?

cheesy Do you know what it takes to be 40 years and above in Nigeria? One must give thanks to God!
Re: See A Photo Of N1 Note That Was Used In 1979 When $1 Was Equal To N0.647 by macolino(m): 10:07am On Oct 11, 2015
laudate:

cheesy Do you know what it takes to be 40 years and above in Nigeria? One must give thanks to God!
My brother you are right ooo,naija na war film,filled with actions,anything can happen.
Re: See A Photo Of N1 Note That Was Used In 1979 When $1 Was Equal To N0.647 by laudate: 10:08am On Oct 11, 2015
Bollinger:
In the 1960's in the U.S bread was 20 cents, today it's 2 dollars, depending on what kind you buy. A gallon of gas was 25 cents, today we buy as high as 3 or 4 dollars a gallon at the pump. What Nigerians don't understand is there will always be inflation, what you do is you adjust to that inflation. That is what i do and that is what the american government does. This is why americans don't feel inflation too much. I already know that my retirement funds will not hold the same value it would today, so i am already adjusting the way i save towards it. And, no need to ask anyone, i can tell you for a fact, Nigeria was always crap. Growing up we'd never had power for a week straight. Roads were always crap; don't think it just started today. Police and Soldiers had always used civilians for target practice as is today. And the worst part is the Nigerian way of thinking has not changed from then till now. If it had, things would have changed, wouldn't it?

Please return your self-hate into your pocket! Some of you never see anything good in Nigeria because of your myopic mindset and jaundiced view. Nigeria was not always crap. Even the UK and US you mentioned have their own failings and share of woes.

And stop flaunting your retirement funds. No one asked you for it, and nobody is interested in it!
Re: See A Photo Of N1 Note That Was Used In 1979 When $1 Was Equal To N0.647 by shadrach77: 10:13am On Oct 11, 2015
Disneylady:
When no polithiefcian pic was there! Smh

You will never do well ma. Our national heroes cannot be compared with the current treasury looters angry angry angry
Re: See A Photo Of N1 Note That Was Used In 1979 When $1 Was Equal To N0.647 by chidile: 10:15am On Oct 11, 2015
I suggest we introduce money we were using then,to know if our economy will improve....suggestion
Re: See A Photo Of N1 Note That Was Used In 1979 When $1 Was Equal To N0.647 by Bollinger(m): 10:15am On Oct 11, 2015
laudate:

Please return your self-hate into your pocket! Some of you never see anything good in Nigeria because of your myopic mindset and jaundiced view. Nigeria was not always crap. Even the UK and US you mentioned have their own failings and share of woes.

And stop flaunting your retirement funds. No one asked you for it, and nobody is interested in it!

Lol.. .if you consider a person talking about a retirement fund "flaunting", then i really pity you. Retirement is a normal topic as normal as breathing. Who lives today without a retirement plan? I sometimes forget who i'm talking to. I forget i'm talking to people who think driving a car is a big deal, having a retirement plan is "flaunting", Owning or paying mortgage is crazy or impossible and getting a job as soon as you graduate a miracle. To me, it's not "showing off", it's "normal". There are no big boys here because everyone has the same thing. I spent a better part of my life in Nigeria and i realized that the bane of Nigeria is not corruption but it's mentality. It's just too phucked up for any change to happen as evidenced from the above post.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: See A Photo Of N1 Note That Was Used In 1979 When $1 Was Equal To N0.647 by Nobody: 10:28am On Oct 11, 2015
Kyase:

yes it was never increased, they just remove 4 zeros to seems so, its political bro

Na wa o, lemme goan read more about this...
Re: See A Photo Of N1 Note That Was Used In 1979 When $1 Was Equal To N0.647 by Jayson504(m): 10:29am On Oct 11, 2015
Cool
Re: See A Photo Of N1 Note That Was Used In 1979 When $1 Was Equal To N0.647 by Nobody: 10:33am On Oct 11, 2015
udeagbalaC:

Lol, in the 70's naira was higher than the dollar and pounds. Ask your pops, grin
Re: See A Photo Of N1 Note That Was Used In 1979 When $1 Was Equal To N0.647 by fart: 10:34am On Oct 11, 2015
Those where the good old days. What a shame. It is unfortunate that Nigeria has become an irreparable sh.it hole
Re: See A Photo Of N1 Note That Was Used In 1979 When $1 Was Equal To N0.647 by skimmer01(m): 10:34am On Oct 11, 2015
There was a country
Re: See A Photo Of N1 Note That Was Used In 1979 When $1 Was Equal To N0.647 by stevecantrell: 10:36am On Oct 11, 2015
njays24:
My mom said that back then, 10naira would cook you a good pot of soup with meat,dry fish,etc.

She's not lying.

One time my mum lost her purse. When we asked how much was in there she said N300.
Everyone screamed aaaaaaaaaaaahhhh !!!
She was so depressed for the rest of the week..
That was over 2 months housekeeping in 1984. grin

1 Like

Re: See A Photo Of N1 Note That Was Used In 1979 When $1 Was Equal To N0.647 by bewildered: 10:49am On Oct 11, 2015
Well! This is the Nigeria the northern oligarchy has driven we all to,and now they are forming saints and preaching anti corruption. It's all a sham with the aim of looting in favor of the north. If not how else would u explain PMB crowning himself petroluem minister.
Re: See A Photo Of N1 Note That Was Used In 1979 When $1 Was Equal To N0.647 by Kyase(m): 10:53am On Oct 11, 2015
engrkenny:

Na wa o, lemme goan read more about this...
yes do sire

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Jonathan Meets Buhari Immediately After National Security Council Meeting / Pictures From Peter Obi's Campaign Rally In Osun / Bomb Explosion Rocks Enugu Polling Unit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.