Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,366 members, 7,812,050 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:12 AM

Remembering One Of Nigeria's Unsung Heroes; Pa Anthony Enahoro - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Remembering One Of Nigeria's Unsung Heroes; Pa Anthony Enahoro (2134 Views)

When Will We Have Another Anthony Enahoro: History Beckons (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Remembering One Of Nigeria's Unsung Heroes; Pa Anthony Enahoro by thiagoneves: 6:57am On Oct 11, 2015
Geoffrey Rutter writes: I read with interest and some sadness your obituary for Chief Anthony Enahoro (Jan 4). Please allow me to expand on the UK political scene that existed in 1962 when the Chief was imprisoned at Brixton Prison pending his return to Nigeria on an extradition warrant. At the time I was a young solicitor acting with my late father on the Chief’s behalf. His request for political asylum was turned down notwithstanding the Chief’s fear of execution if he returned to Nigeria.
The political and press furore that ensued following his refusal of political asylum was substantial. At the time Harold Macmillan was Prime Minister and Henry Brooke was the Home Secretary. Your obituary refers to vigorous debates in Parliament — I can recall these clearly. As a last hope for the Chief to remain in the UK, a petition was lodged at the eleventh hour in the House of Lords and a vote of no confidence in the Government was debated in the House of Commons on the eve of his return to Nigeria. The motion of no confidence was backed by George Brown, MP, who was very close to the leader of the Opposition at the time (Harold Wilson) and a very colourful character. The motion was only relatively narrowly defeated and the petition to the House of Lords for leave to appeal was rejected. As a consequence the Chief was returned to Nigeria.
Happily, his fear of potential execution proved to be without foundation since, as we know, he lived to a good age and was released from prison four years after his extradition.
Tony Smith writes: I first met Chief Anthony Enahoro as a seven-year-old, new to Nigeria. I introduced myself with: “How do you do Sir, my name is Tony.” To which he replied in his deep, booming voice: “My name is Tony too. I shall call you Tony and you shall call me Tony too.” After that, whenever we met we greeted each other as “Tony”, much to the chagrin of his entourage and the shock of those not in the know.

SOURCE: The Times, London
Re: Remembering One Of Nigeria's Unsung Heroes; Pa Anthony Enahoro by Mogidi: 7:06am On Oct 11, 2015
Mike Enahoro, another great Enahoro died this week.
Re: Remembering One Of Nigeria's Unsung Heroes; Pa Anthony Enahoro by okosodo: 7:43am On Oct 11, 2015
Yet we choose to magnify bigots, simply because they are from the north

1 Like

Re: Remembering One Of Nigeria's Unsung Heroes; Pa Anthony Enahoro by laudate: 9:30am On Oct 11, 2015
okosodo:
Yet we choose to magnify bigots, simply because they are from the north

Who is the bigot, here?? shocked
Re: Remembering One Of Nigeria's Unsung Heroes; Pa Anthony Enahoro by Nobody: 2:59pm On Oct 11, 2015
edo state would remain cursed and its people would comtinue being deported from Italy until Bini Kingdom is Italicized... cursed people.
Re: Remembering One Of Nigeria's Unsung Heroes; Pa Anthony Enahoro by laudate: 3:27pm On Oct 11, 2015
lygn19:
edo state would remain cursed and its people would comtinue being deported from Italy until Bini Kingdom is Italicized... cursed people.

Don't worry, the Edo people will soon come and give you a befitting answer. Just remember that anyone uttering curses against another for no just cause, will end up bearing the curses upon himself. And it is quite likely that this will be your own portion.... undecided

1 Like

Re: Remembering One Of Nigeria's Unsung Heroes; Pa Anthony Enahoro by OZAOEKPE(f): 3:27pm On Oct 11, 2015
"Hypocrisy is when you support your own criminals(amaechi, atiku, tinubu etc), and when I support my own criminals(mimiko, saraki etc) you begin to condemn me. Is amaechi different from mimiko? We are not ready for change at all in this country". Quote me anywhere

2 Likes

Re: Remembering One Of Nigeria's Unsung Heroes; Pa Anthony Enahoro by thiagoneves: 3:27pm On Oct 11, 2015
lygn19:
better to to be italised than suffer hunger and starvation from the bullets of the Nigerian army.
Re: Remembering One Of Nigeria's Unsung Heroes; Pa Anthony Enahoro by Nobody: 3:30pm On Oct 11, 2015
laudate:

Don't worry, the Edo people will soon give you a befitting answer. Just remember that anyone uttering curses against another for no just cause, will end up bearing the curses upon himself. And it is quite likely that this will be your own portion.... undecided
go and tell that to ur brothers who are opening threads every single second about igbo land. I am even merciful very soon I might join them, d child who says d mother wont sleep wont sleep too.
Re: Remembering One Of Nigeria's Unsung Heroes; Pa Anthony Enahoro by Symphony007: 3:31pm On Oct 11, 2015
Anthony enahoro was the first Nigerian to raise the motion for independence from the British at a lagos conference in the 1950's but our subservient northern comrades pushed against it which earned them stoning and booing in lagos, sometime later greater violence was matted out to southern delegates who went to kano for the second leg of the conference as retaliation for what was done to northern delegates in lagos. Violence which we now know today as the "kano riots"...with all this early warning signs, we went ahead to create a nation and wonder today why we are such a disjointed bigoted mess.

3 Likes

Re: Remembering One Of Nigeria's Unsung Heroes; Pa Anthony Enahoro by Nobody: 3:32pm On Oct 11, 2015
thiagoneves:
better to to be italised than suffer hunger and starvation from the bullets of the Nigerian army.
is dat not ur best lines... mumu its getting boring we ve heard dem over 1million times think of sth new. Italian negro dwarf forming mullato.
Re: Remembering One Of Nigeria's Unsung Heroes; Pa Anthony Enahoro by laudate: 3:34pm On Oct 11, 2015
lygn19:

go and tell that to ur brothers who are opening threads every single second about igbo land. I am even merciful very soon I might join them, d child who says d mother wont sleep wont sleep too.

Oga, am not even Edo. Can you see how lazy your mind has become? Aren't there over 150 other tribes in Nigeria? So everyone who does not share your point of view is Edo? Chai! shocked

If you have a problem with an individual, why not take it up with him directly? undecided Why must you insult his entire state or his whole tribe? Even within the same ethnic group, not everyone holds the same views on a particular issue. There are those who would like you, and those who would not, no matter what you say.

1 Like

Re: Remembering One Of Nigeria's Unsung Heroes; Pa Anthony Enahoro by thiagoneves: 3:38pm On Oct 11, 2015
lygn19:

is dat not ur best lines... mumu its getting boring we ve heard dem over 1million times think of sth new. Italian negro dwarf forming mullato.
my tribe where empire builders. Your tribe never conquered a palm tree. So shut up when real tribes are talking. Useless flàtheaded monkey. Racially I'm higher than you.

1 Like

Re: Remembering One Of Nigeria's Unsung Heroes; Pa Anthony Enahoro by Nobody: 3:41pm On Oct 11, 2015
laudate:

Oga, am not even Edo. Can you see how lazy your mind has become? Aren't there over 150 other tribes in Nigeria? So everyone who does not share your point of view is Edo? Chai! shocked

If you have a problem with an individual, why not take it up with him directly? undecided Why must you insult his entire state or his whole tribe? Even within the same ethnic group, not everyone holds the same views on a particular issue. There are those who would like you, and those who would not, no matter what you say.
am not a tribalist I used to be more of the we against them person dat always made me engage in the yorubas vs igbo tribal wars, but as time went on I discovered it wasnt as it seemed dat the hate wasnt der between the two of us, but when I encountered this edo people I knew d true definition if hate, I am only reciprocating there kind gesture, look at names like; excusemyfrench, Spanishkid,thiagoneves,edcure,enahi,atbu1985, sandraokosun,aim5 and the rest I keep a diary of all of this cursed people on my head, go tru there profiles and u wud gimme a thumbs up to what am doing.
Re: Remembering One Of Nigeria's Unsung Heroes; Pa Anthony Enahoro by Nobody: 3:43pm On Oct 11, 2015
thiagoneves:
my tribe where empire builders. Your tribe never conquered a palm tree. So shut up when real tribes are talking. Useless flàtheaded monkey. Racially I'm higher than you.
ur tribe was empire builders no wonder they built there empire in Italy, so let the empire stay there Nigeria jas had its fill of cursed people. Edo fools.

2 Likes

Re: Remembering One Of Nigeria's Unsung Heroes; Pa Anthony Enahoro by laudate: 3:55pm On Oct 11, 2015
lygn19:

am not a tribalist I used to be more of the we against them person dat always made me engage in the yorubas vs igbo tribal wars, but as time went on I discovered it wasnt as it seemed dat the hate wasnt der between the two of us, but when I encountered this edo people I knew d true definition if hate, I am only reciprocating there kind gesture, look at names like; excusemyfrench, Spanishkid,thiagoneves,edcure,enahi,atbu1985, sandraokosun,aim5 and the rest I keep a diary of all of this cursed people on my head, go tru there profiles and u wud gimme a thumbs up to what am doing.

Wait o! What makes you think I would give you a thumbs up for what you are doing? Why should I give you a thumbs up for cursing someone else's tribe? Na wa, oh! shocked
Re: Remembering One Of Nigeria's Unsung Heroes; Pa Anthony Enahoro by Nobody: 4:14pm On Oct 11, 2015
laudate:

Wait o! What makes you think I would give you a thumbs up for what you are doing? Why should I give you a thumbs up for cursing someone else's tribe? Na wa, oh! shocked
if u are not from edo state I wud advise u stop quoting me. I dont hv any business with u.
Re: Remembering One Of Nigeria's Unsung Heroes; Pa Anthony Enahoro by winniz: 4:18pm On Oct 11, 2015
lygn19:

am not a tribalist I used to be more of the we against them person dat always made me engage in the yorubas vs igbo tribal wars, but as time went on I discovered it wasnt as it seemed dat the hate wasnt der between the two of us, but when I encountered this edo people I knew d true definition if hate, I am only reciprocating there kind gesture, look at names like; excusemyfrench, Spanishkid,thiagoneves edcure,enahi,atbu1985, sandraokosun,aim5 and the rest I keep a diary of all of this cursed people on my head, go tru there profiles and u wud gimme a thumbs up to what am doing.

It's a Yoruba person that operates with those handles, I'm surprised you have no idea that those handles belong to one person cheesy
Re: Remembering One Of Nigeria's Unsung Heroes; Pa Anthony Enahoro by Nobody: 4:18pm On Oct 11, 2015
lygn19:

I don't hate Igbos so get it straight. I just can't stand the greediness and superiority complex most of you possess.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Remembering One Of Nigeria's Unsung Heroes; Pa Anthony Enahoro by Nobody: 4:21pm On Oct 11, 2015
aim5:

I don't hate Igbos so get it straight. I just can't stand the greediness and superiority complex most of you possess.
I dont hate Edo people its just that I cant stand the greediness, selfishness and hatred for nothing most of u potray .

1 Like

Re: Remembering One Of Nigeria's Unsung Heroes; Pa Anthony Enahoro by Nobody: 4:22pm On Oct 11, 2015
winniz:

It's a Yoruba person that operates with those handles, I'm surprised you have no idea that those handles belong to one person cheesy
its an Edo I know them when they comment.
Re: Remembering One Of Nigeria's Unsung Heroes; Pa Anthony Enahoro by Nobody: 4:25pm On Oct 11, 2015
lygn19:

I dont hate Edo people its just that I cant stand the greediness, selfishness and hatred for nothing most of u potray .

Hatred for nothing? If you say so.
Re: Remembering One Of Nigeria's Unsung Heroes; Pa Anthony Enahoro by winniz: 4:26pm On Oct 11, 2015
lygn19:

its an Edo I know them when they comment.

Nah! a Yoruba person operates with those three handles.
Re: Remembering One Of Nigeria's Unsung Heroes; Pa Anthony Enahoro by Nobody: 4:28pm On Oct 11, 2015
aim5:

Hatred for nothing? If you say so.
why do ur people keep opening up hate threads about igbos, my people try our best to keep ur people off the menu but ur people try there best to invite us into it? what do u call that?
Re: Remembering One Of Nigeria's Unsung Heroes; Pa Anthony Enahoro by EdCure: 4:43pm On Oct 11, 2015
lygn19:
Baby factory product, you don't need to heap more curses on yourself for you to be noticed. The ones you currently bear is sufficient for your miserable existence.

2 Likes

Re: Remembering One Of Nigeria's Unsung Heroes; Pa Anthony Enahoro by mightyhaze: 4:52pm On Oct 11, 2015
Symphony007:
Anthony enahoro was the first Nigerian to raise the motion for independence from the British at a lagos conference in the 1950's but our subservient northern comrades pushed against it which earned them stoning and booing in lagos, sometime later greater violence was matted out to southern delegates who went to kano for the second leg of the conference as retaliation for what was done to northern delegates in lagos. Violence which we now know today as the "kano riots"...with all this early warning signs, we went ahead to create a nation and wonder today why we are such a disjointed bigoted mess.
thot 4 food,..

1 Like

Re: Remembering One Of Nigeria's Unsung Heroes; Pa Anthony Enahoro by EdCure: 4:55pm On Oct 11, 2015
lygn19:

What a dumb, low-life turd you are! Who has time to quibble with you half-wit biafridiots?

Work on not being stupïd angry

3 Likes

Re: Remembering One Of Nigeria's Unsung Heroes; Pa Anthony Enahoro by EdCure: 5:07pm On Oct 11, 2015
aim5:
Don't mind the idïots. They label anyone with contrary opinion as a hater.

Just how many Biafra villages are missing their idïots this Sunday? I've lost count.

2 Likes

Re: Remembering One Of Nigeria's Unsung Heroes; Pa Anthony Enahoro by Nobody: 5:18pm On Oct 11, 2015
EdCure:

Just how many Biafra villages are missing their idïots this Sunday? I've lost count.

I mean it's so annoying... Igbos have said some foul sh.it about Edos and others for years, so some of us have returned the favor...

1 Like

Re: Remembering One Of Nigeria's Unsung Heroes; Pa Anthony Enahoro by Nobody: 5:50pm On Oct 11, 2015
aim5:

I mean it's so annoying... Igbos have said some foul sh.it about Edos and others for years, so some of us have returned the favor...
so let us keep returning the favour now...
Re: Remembering One Of Nigeria's Unsung Heroes; Pa Anthony Enahoro by Nobody: 5:50pm On Oct 11, 2015
EdCure:

What a dumb, low-life turd you are! Who has time to quibble with you half-wit biafridiots?

Work on not being stupïd angry
see dz mumu edo thief u are not important stop quoting me.
Re: Remembering One Of Nigeria's Unsung Heroes; Pa Anthony Enahoro by Nobody: 6:01pm On Oct 11, 2015
EdCure:

so dz is contrary opinion?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Outrageous Designs - Hotels For The Future / Here We Go Again: FIFA Presidency- Yoruba Man Blames Igbo Man For His Loss / See What This Mad Man Is Wearing, Was He Before? [photo]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.