Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,718 members, 7,816,963 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:23 PM

Eyo Festival Is Occultic - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Eyo Festival Is Occultic (6388 Views)

Osinbanjo Throws Jibes At Tinubu, Tinubu Fires Back; As He Dances To Eyo Steps / Do Nigerians Deserve An Occultic (ogboni) President For 4 Years? / Jonathan's Declaration On 11-11-2014 Has Occultic Significance - Chris Okotie (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Eyo Festival Is Occultic by Moonstone(f): 6:53pm On Apr 26, 2009
wirinet:

The keyword here is was, meaning it is not being practiced anymore, and besides it was only a few tribes on the Niger Delta that practiced killing of twins and not the whole Nigerian tribes.

Offering of once's son as a sacrifice to show obedience to God was once a part of Jewish culture.
Burning of once biggest farm animal and crops was once a part of Jewish culture.
Burning of witches and heretics( any saying against church doctrines) was once a part of European culture.
Covering once's self with spiritual blood of god's only begotten son, spilt over 2000 yrs ago is still part of christian culture. ( I can stand blood - spiritual or otherwise)

So why do you not harp on these practices but just your own native cultural practices.

You are very economical with the truth here. Eyo festival celebrations do not keep you under house arrest.
You do not shout freedom of movement when christian block our roads and expressway when you have your crusades.
You do not shout freedom of sanity when you people engage in shouting tournaments every friday in the name of night vigils.
When you people disturbs and distrupts other people's lives, you feel it is an injunction from God. But when others carry out cultural practices you do not approve of, you "shout freedom of movement".
E gbami ke!
Out of all those practices, look closely - Which one of them is Christian? I'm not Jewish neither am I European. I used the killing of twins as an example of a tradition that WAS wrong. I'm not saying that is what other people do today. I used that as an example because some people were talking about how it is wrong to disrespect tradition.
As for the blood used, we don't drink real blood and like I said - some may call that occultic and please let them do so. I won't fret. That's their own opinion and every one is entitled to their own opinion.
I'm not being biased here. When Christians have their crusades and what not, do they have any consequences for you leaving your house? Do they tell you that if you see some masquerade, you'll die? I'm not only talking about Eyo festival, I'm referring to all the traditional festivals. As the whole Christian blocking road thing, I personally have not encountered that before either.
It's my opinion and I'm allowed to have it right? That's my opinion on the whole Festival thing.
Re: Eyo Festival Is Occultic by wirinet(m): 6:53pm On Apr 26, 2009
The most occutic religion is "evangelical christianity". They are the once that invoke spirits (holy one) to solve all problems. They chant mantas (speaking in tongues) in the dead of the night. They cast, bind and the loose demons and spirits spirits.
They are the onces that sees demon everwhere and in every problem.
Re: Eyo Festival Is Occultic by debosky(m): 6:54pm On Apr 26, 2009
blacksta:

you people are talking or fighting about culture this culture that .  When Elections are being rigged left right and center under our nose.   This thread is a joke

That is why there are different sections for discussing different issues. Cultural expression is a valid right, even if rigging is going on.

What proof is there that it is 'occultic' or otherwise?
Re: Eyo Festival Is Occultic by redsun(m): 6:57pm On Apr 26, 2009
This lost of fundamental bearing is the key factor for africans limbo. Life is like a chain reaction,one thing links to another,if the chains are not connected,it is not going to make any sense.
Re: Eyo Festival Is Occultic by wirinet(m): 7:04pm On Apr 26, 2009
I think some Christians suffer from paranoia when it comes to indegenous cutures, because this eyo festival they are loosing sleep on only takes place on a few streets in lagos island. If you want to see eyo in action, you might actually have to search for them, because they move around.
Also Eyo Festival do not ask women to stay indoors, it only asks people not to wear shoes.

Eyo festival is one of the most popular festivals in Nigeria and it could be rebranded to pull in tourists from abroad, which can be a money spinner for lagos.
Re: Eyo Festival Is Occultic by oderemo(m): 7:20pm On Apr 26, 2009
This thread is a joke

i beg to differ , this is about people FUNDAMENTAL right as enshrine in our constitution , the right to practice once religion unhindered which i think the christian and Muslim have abused to high heaven /, so lets debate it .was coming from Abuja and got caught in that redeem crusade the other day had to sleep somewhere un planned . my right of free movement was taken away from me, isn't.
Re: Eyo Festival Is Occultic by Nemeziz9ja: 8:20pm On Apr 26, 2009
cheesy
No doubt. All masquerade festival are veiled necromancy and ancestor worship. The demons that come visiting during these incantations are way beyond what an ordinary mind (no matter how culturally inclined you may be) can comprehend.
Talking from experience, Masquerade is a cult and don't even believe otherwise.
Re: Eyo Festival Is Occultic by AfroCynic: 9:19pm On Apr 26, 2009
Lol, this is what I mean, your own culture is never good enough. If we keep going at this rate, there will be nothing left for our children. The same people who are against any celebration of who we are, are against their children speaking their language and give European names to their children.

Why is it that the Yoruba religions is one of the biggest in the world but frowned on by it's own people? It's mad. Even you who call yourself Christian ought to realise that the HE gave us different tongues, placed us in different parts of the world, made us look different because HE did not want to have the same culture and ignore that which we have been blessed.

Emi o ni san owo oni bo ji!
Re: Eyo Festival Is Occultic by Mudley313: 9:54pm On Apr 26, 2009
I think in the same light you can say,

Native law/traditional wedding is occultic as opposed to the "white" mans God ordained church wedding ceremonies so we should abandon it too

SMH @ inferiority complex/kolomentality

maybe in time to come speaking your local dialect or naming your children local traditional names will be abandoned as well since our ancestors who did the same were all inferior and occultic as well
Re: Eyo Festival Is Occultic by tpiah: 10:02pm On Apr 26, 2009
Re: Eyo Festival Is Occultic by AfroCynic: 10:16pm On Apr 26, 2009
tpiah:

the festivals should rebrand themselves so they dont oppress women, children and minorities.

Some of my earliest Nigerian memories include being chased by a masquerade for no reason besides the fact that I was a kid and a female one at that.

Why would I want to promote anything that perfunctorily orders me to stay indoors, threatens me with death, madness or disease, and constantly tramples on my sense of well being all in the name of culture?

I can understand the men proudly championing all these things like masquerades and so on, because the festivals are cementing their own rights, but what's in it for me? What do I personally stand to gain?

Eyo is even a bit milder than other masquerades.

Lol, I think this is your problem, something you need to work on.
Re: Eyo Festival Is Occultic by tpiah: 10:16pm On Apr 26, 2009
AfroCynic:

Lol, I think this is your problem, something you need to work on.

meaning?
Re: Eyo Festival Is Occultic by Mudley313: 10:22pm On Apr 26, 2009
But i bet you're much more comfortable with father christmas(santa clause), the christmas holiday, christmas trees, easter, st. valentines day etc who are all deeply rooted in the occult and pagan traditions just becos the white man tells you its cool, SMH

[center][flash=425,355]http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/v4HoixOCZWY[/flash][/center]
Re: Eyo Festival Is Occultic by tpiah: 10:25pm On Apr 26, 2009
Mudley313:

But i bet you're much more comfortable with father christmas(santa clause), the christmas holiday, christmas trees, easter, st. valentines day etc who are all deeply rooted in the occult and pagan traditions just becos the white man tells you its cool, SMH

did the white man tell masquerades to threaten women and children?

One festival gives out candy and gifts, the other goes around holding horsewhips for flogging "undesirables".

Is this rocket science?

If something doesnt benefit me, I must continue to do sufferhead even when I dont need to, because I'm Nigerian?

besides, I'm not saying people shouldnt hold their festivals if they like. But quit abusing those who, unlike you, didnt have good experiences with some of these things.

All I said was the owners of such festivals should rebrand and make themselves welcoming to all. Calabar did it with their carnival so what's the problem.
Re: Eyo Festival Is Occultic by Horus(m): 10:28pm On Apr 26, 2009
Why some Nigerians are saying that Eyo Festival is occultic when they follow themselves the occult Wicca practices of “Halloween". Halloween is one of the four major Sabbats celebrated by the modern Witches who regard Halloween as their New Year’s Eve, celebrating it with sacred rituals. People like the Pope, and Queen of England and various political leaders of various countries and some members of the clergy gather at the major Sabbats to invoke the malevolent one.
Re: Eyo Festival Is Occultic by tpiah: 10:30pm On Apr 26, 2009
Horus:

Why some Nigerians are saying that Eyo Festival is occultic when they follow themselves the occult Wicca practices of “Halloween". Halloween is one of the four major Sabbats celebrated by the modern Witches who regard Halloween as their New Year’s Eve, celebrating it with sacred rituals. People like the Pope, and Queen of England and various political leaders of various countries and some members of the clergy gather at the major Sabbats to invoke the malevolent one.

and how do the whites present this occultic celebration?

by giving out candy to all and sundry. In ancient times it could have been celebrated with human heads, who knows.

But for our own, we're told to keep on smiling even when we're threatened with flogging or death without committing any crime.
Re: Eyo Festival Is Occultic by Horus(m): 10:40pm On Apr 26, 2009
tpiah:

and how do the whites present this occultic celebration?

by giving out candy to all and sundry. In ancient times it could have been celebrated with human heads, who knows.

But for our own, we're told to keep on smiling even when we're threatened with flogging or death without committing any crime.

Halloween the Evil One Sabbath:  http://factology.com/archive/20051029.htm
Re: Eyo Festival Is Occultic by AfroCynic: 10:45pm On Apr 26, 2009
tpiah:

meaning?

Nobody is asking you to lop any heads off, nobody is throwing and babies in bushes, it is a celebration of our culture. No culture is perfect, but you do not abandon your own and embrace someone else, it is crazy.
Re: Eyo Festival Is Occultic by tpiah: 10:52pm On Apr 26, 2009
AfroCynic:

Nobody is asking you to lop any heads off, nobody is throwing and babies in bushes, it is a celebration of our culture. No culture is perfect, but you do not abandon your own and embrace someone else, it is crazy.

so not celebrating masquerades means abandoning culture? When you eat western foods and dress in a western manner, arent you abandoning your culture?

Anyway, thank God the world has evolved, so if you want to celebrate your culture by embracing masquerades, rituals and the other things which chase Naijas out of Nigeria in droves, feel free to do so.

However, you dont have to force everyone to join you just because you feel they have to be part of what you're doing.

That's the beauty of democracy.  There's freedom to choose instead of blindly worshipping something because you feel its "not white".
Re: Eyo Festival Is Occultic by redsun(m): 11:06pm On Apr 26, 2009
You say u be african man,oyinbo don release u but u never release urself-Fela Kuti.Colo mentality

Emancipate urself from mental slavery non but urself can free ur own mind,have no fear for atomic energy,cause non of them can stop the TIME-Bob Marley.

We are the architects of our faiths,nothing should come before us,we should be the entity and the center of our world,what ever make sense should be our own intuitions,we are all gods.
Re: Eyo Festival Is Occultic by tpiah: 1:12am On Apr 27, 2009
see people getting hot under the collar when the Lagos govt and traditional ruler themselves acknowledge the fact that the festival needs to be remodeled

Fashola: Why we revived Eyo Festival

The Eyo festival which was moved outside its traditional home on the streets of Lagos Island to an enclosed venue-the Tafawa Balewa Square-for the first time attracted the cream of Lagos state government officials, the Oba Rilwan Akiolu of Lagos and his chiefs, foreign tourists and the teeming populace was supported by Glo, the telecommunications company, as main sponsor.

By doing this, according to the governor, the “intention was to provide larger viewership within a relaxed, safe and entertaining atmosphere without distracting from the delicate intricacies of the craft or elegance of the culture.”

This particular edition has exposed the Adamu Orisa play to international stage in the mould of Rio Carnival and the Argungu Fishing Festival in Northern Nigeria. It is my hope that the next edition will be more glamorous and fun filled."

Giving another reason for relocation of the festival to Tafawa Balewa Square, Oba Akiolu said it was intended to "reduce to the barest minimum, the illegal and criminal acts of some people which are not part of the Eyo tradition."

http://odili.net/news/source/2009/apr/25/204.html

Note the bolded!!!!

Naijas and oversensitivity!!!

This is the 21st century for crying out loud. undecided
Re: Eyo Festival Is Occultic by Krayola(m): 2:32am On Apr 27, 2009
If you don't want to get flogged stay home, its that simple. Churches cause people all sorts of inconveniences as well. Sometimes the services might as well be rock concerts with the amount of noise they make, and this is right in the middle of peoples homes. Non-Christians have to put up with that,  don't they have a right to peace and quiet on a sunday morning, or whatever other "revival" night? This is the 21st century,  they should have quiet services without all the shouting, yelling, singing, and screaming.

Its kinda sad that nowadays it seems even the white man is more interested in our culture than us.
Re: Eyo Festival Is Occultic by tpiah: 5:25am On Apr 27, 2009
why must some of you always argue in circles?

and why would you tell me to stay home or else get flogged?

WHAT IS THE FLOGGING FOR? DO YOU GET MY POINT AT ALL?

Are the noisy churches restricting your freedom of movement?

If you see a white person on the street during your masquerade, would you have the guts to flog him or her?

How many people get flogged during Argungu and Durbar festivals?
Re: Eyo Festival Is Occultic by Krayola(m): 8:57am On Apr 27, 2009
tpiah:

why must some of you always argue in circles?
I just joined the debate,  sue me.

tpiah:

and why would you tell me to stay home or else get flogged?
Because when my old grand mother can not get the rest she needs because the church next door is having an all night "revival" and making all kinds of noise, she has to tough it up and deal with it. Sometimes something that is important to others might be meaningless to you. Church services are an inconvenience to loads of people but they deal with it. Do you honestly think noisy services will be banned in Nigeria because someone complained?

tpiah:

WHAT IS THE FLOGGING FOR? DO YOU GET MY POINT AT ALL?
To inflict pain, just like circumcision. You're cool with that one, right?

tpiah:

Are the noisy churches restricting your freedom of movement?
Nope, but they are disturbing the peace, something I should be entitled to as a citizen of a "free country", especially at 3AM.

tpiah:

If you see a white person on the street during your masquerade, would you have the guts to flog him or her?
I will flog him/her into oblivion.

tpiah:

How many people get flogged during Argungu and Durbar festivals?
  Those festivals do not require flogging,  Eyo does.
Re: Eyo Festival Is Occultic by udezue(m): 9:00am On Apr 27, 2009
Its their culture. I'm not even Yoruba and I find it offensive that the poster calls their cultural practice barbaric.
Re: Eyo Festival Is Occultic by redsun(m): 9:11am On Apr 27, 2009
Of course flogging and intimidations should not be condone in any way in any festival,the essence of those festivals now are just for the celebration of our gradually dying heritage and avenues for social gatherings and merriment for all,more like home comings and reunions like the oyinbos do.

Anybody that read luggard's analysis of us and still doubt the need for us to be ourselves,original and live with it,must be obasanjo's type,the type that is immune to embarrassment and human dignity

Were Africans really lacking and dis-oriented like these days before the coming of white man?Personally,i can trace my ancestral heritage back to more than five glorious centuries,it was a functional system and it is still alive till date.
Re: Eyo Festival Is Occultic by tpiah: 1:50pm On Apr 27, 2009
Krayola:

I just joined the debate,  sue me.
Because when my old grand mother can not get the rest she needs because the church next door is having an all night "revival" and making all kinds of noise, she has to tough it up and deal with it. Sometimes something that is important to others might be meaningless to you. Church services are an inconvenience to loads of people but they deal with it. Do you honestly think noisy services will be banned in Nigeria because someone complained?
To inflict pain, just like circumcision. You're cool with that one, right?
Nope, but they are disturbing the peace, something I should be entitled to as a citizen of a "free country", especially at 3AM.
I will flog him/her into oblivion.
  Those festivals do not require flogging,  Eyo does.

I'm not interested in responding to the load of horse manure you typed. I'll simply point out one thing

Go to Nigeria, don your masquerade costume, and if them born you well, whip a white bystander on the street in broad daylight.

That's when I'll know you're not just all mouth.
Re: Eyo Festival Is Occultic by mustafar1: 2:45pm On Apr 27, 2009
New Yam festival is occultic.

talking about flogging, how many people actually do get flogged? people just love crying over spilled milk.
Re: Eyo Festival Is Occultic by idupaul: 2:46pm On Apr 27, 2009
lol, how many people actually got flogged
Re: Eyo Festival Is Occultic by tpiah: 2:54pm On Apr 27, 2009
must_a_far:

talking about flogging, how many people actually do get flogged? people just love crying over spilled milk.

idupaul:

lol, how many people actually got flogged

what do you mean how many people actually get flogged.

How many blacks get racially profiled overseas nowadays- since its not all of them, does that make it ok.

And the ones who do get profiled- if they're not the majority, does that mean they have no right to complain.

Aside from the flogging, what's with the oppression of women, children and minorities? So far nobody is able to give any decent reason for it besides hiding under culture as usual.

Using culture to cover evil is evil!
Re: Eyo Festival Is Occultic by mustafar1: 2:56pm On Apr 27, 2009
now we know why u r crying
Re: Eyo Festival Is Occultic by tpiah: 3:04pm On Apr 27, 2009

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

15-Year-Old Used Rail Coaches Are "Good Enough" - Fashola / Governor Akpabio Sacks Commissioner , Retires Perm. Sec / Inside Pics of ₦3.3 Billion Ekiti State Government House!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.