Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,022 members, 7,814,495 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:44 PM

How Did Toyota Hilux And Land Cruiser 70 Become The Terrorist Favorite Vehicles. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Did Toyota Hilux And Land Cruiser 70 Become The Terrorist Favorite Vehicles. (5558 Views)

This Is The Baddest Toyota Hilux You've Ever Seen (photos) / Bulletproof Land Cruiser On Fire On Lokoja Road (Video) / The Toyota Land Cruiser That Is Faster Than A Lamborghini (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Did Toyota Hilux And Land Cruiser 70 Become The Terrorist Favorite Vehicles. by MotoringNigeria: 7:56pm On Oct 13, 2015
A first generation Hilux already fashioned for a sinister purpose (source : business insider)

Re: How Did Toyota Hilux And Land Cruiser 70 Become The Terrorist Favorite Vehicles. by MotoringNigeria: 7:57pm On Oct 13, 2015
Do not mind my curiousity but Images like the one above is something we can relate to, we have seen it at a point, maybe on various news channels or even out of curiosity to see what they look like. Sure enough the videos might look grim and depressing, brandishing AK-47 assault rifles and missile launchers without a care in the world, I'm tempted to take a punt here and say that for most, the subconscious reaction is to develop superpowers and just throw a bomb in their midst to make them all disappear, that is definitely mine. But we motor heads at MN... Look at these videos and pictures and something entirely different jumps at us. The fact that Toyotas (in varying models) are used 99% of the time.

(Hey don't blame us if we don't share in the grimness of someone waving an assault rifle, heck we think that the purr of a v12 turbo charged engine sounds better than a lovers moan...#Justsaying.) anyways I digress.

Also, as if we weren't the only one noticing this. Just couple of days ago, the U.S treasury department launched an inquiry as to how ISIS obtains the massive garage of Toyota hiluxes that they have and why the Toyota happens to be the vehicle of choice.

Various officials have been giving various reasons why this is the case, an official even went as far as likening the car as the "vehicular equivalent of the AK-47" We at MN asked ourselves these question and different answers came to be; from its relative cost (compared to a Humvee or a Land Rover) to its durability (yeah, who remembers that top gear episode where the host bought a used hilux and subjected it to all sorts of Torture, afterwards all it took to get the engine running again was a couple of spanners, hammers and wrenches...Not even spare parts was needed).

The link to the videos is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVkedyQZfwQ

Someone said that maybe because it's fast, and easily maneuverable even when loaded with assault rifles on its cabin.
But the one that struck me was the fact that maybe because it's easily and readily available...Toyota has become something like the defacto manufacturer of choice for Nigeria and Nigerians. Like almost 1 in every 4 cars that run on our roads are Toyotas. (don't question my stats go and form yours) but really from government agencies to private companies. Staff pool cars are always Toyotas! (Why, you say? That'll be a topic for another day)

Could this be testament to the fact that Toyotas are somewhat the best cars for our roads?
That they're so efficient for all purposes even the not so honorable cause?
Why Toyotas?
Most importantly, how do these people get their hands on these cars? Smuggling?
Theft?

The fight against these terrorist groups can take various ways and is not something that would be won in a day. But how about trying to cut off the legs to limit movement? Well, we at Motoring Nigeria don't have all the answers to all the questions. We just try to see how the engines run.

Photos from: Beegagle, 247ureports. Nairaland, Nigeriancurrent, iReporters

Stay up to date with the latest from Motoring Nigeria by following us on Twitter @motoringnigeria

Motoringnigeria.com

1 Share

Re: How Did Toyota Hilux And Land Cruiser 70 Become The Terrorist Favorite Vehicles. by Precious91(m): 8:21pm On Oct 13, 2015
lol.We should check into those companies
Re: How Did Toyota Hilux And Land Cruiser 70 Become The Terrorist Favorite Vehicles. by Whizpeter(m): 9:31pm On Oct 13, 2015
These vehicles can enter the most rugged 'Apian' way and still come out unscathed... That's priceless in the case of a Chase... So you see why Terrorists endorse it?
Re: How Did Toyota Hilux And Land Cruiser 70 Become The Terrorist Favorite Vehicles. by kablooee: 9:12am On Oct 14, 2015
I can't say about the other vehicles but hilux has the most rugged suspension any vehicle can have. Beats Tundra, Tacoma, f150 etc. Read about the design and you'll be amazed.

1 Like

Re: How Did Toyota Hilux And Land Cruiser 70 Become The Terrorist Favorite Vehicles. by Frankestein08(m): 1:19pm On Oct 14, 2015
Seriously, someone needs to look into dis mata. E b lyk say dem curse naija with Toyota products.

seun . lalasticlala do ur magic grin

1 Like

Re: How Did Toyota Hilux And Land Cruiser 70 Become The Terrorist Favorite Vehicles. by Stylz69(m): 1:32pm On Oct 14, 2015
Well, Top gear showed that the hilux was practically indestructible! They drowned it, set it on fire, dropped a caravan on it, hit it with a wrecking ball and place it on a 240ft building to be demolished...and it still survived.

2 Likes

Re: How Did Toyota Hilux And Land Cruiser 70 Become The Terrorist Favorite Vehicles. by mastro: 6:30am On Oct 15, 2015
Stylz69:
Well, Top gear showed that the hilux was practically indestructible! They drowned it, set it on fire, dropped a caravan on it, hit it with a wrecking ball and place it on a 240ft building to be demolished...and it still survived.

Exactly, when in a war zone you want a vehicle that will never let you down, because if it does you will die. This is also the reason that
all the major NGO's around the world use Toyota's as well.

It's like the standing joke that your Mecho will curse you if you buy a Corolla.

I've often wondered why Toyota don't do an advertisement around this fact.

1 Like

Re: How Did Toyota Hilux And Land Cruiser 70 Become The Terrorist Favorite Vehicles. by tmanis(m): 7:21am On Oct 15, 2015
mastro:

Exactly, when in a war zone you want a vehicle that will never let you down, because if it does you will die. This is also the reason that
all the major NGO's around the world use Toyota's as well.

It's like the standing joke that your Mecho will curse you if you buy a Corolla.

I've often wondered why Toyota don't do an advertisement around this fact.

they let the product advertise itself ni...

1 Like

Re: How Did Toyota Hilux And Land Cruiser 70 Become The Terrorist Favorite Vehicles. by Nobody: 7:57pm On Oct 15, 2015
Frankestein08:
Seriously, someone needs to look into dis mata. E b lyk say dem curse naija with Toyota products.

seun . lalasticlala do ur magic grin
see what this man is saying. We are talking of ISIS fighters and their truck of choice, you are here talking of how Toyota products and how they are flooding nigerian roads. Mentioning the mods so that ur lame comment be seen on frontpage.
Who even gave u that like on ur comment?
Re: How Did Toyota Hilux And Land Cruiser 70 Become The Terrorist Favorite Vehicles. by Femtopford(m): 3:39am On Oct 16, 2015
BOSSFOREVER please don't worry, let's welcome all and sundries into our forum. They might one day be of little help.
Re: How Did Toyota Hilux And Land Cruiser 70 Become The Terrorist Favorite Vehicles. by Nobody: 4:25am On Oct 16, 2015
Think like a bad guy, what vehicle do you want to drive when you have to operate in a rugged terrain, loaded down with ordinance, absolutely have to make an escape, can't be broken down.

You look for a vehicle that has solid axles front and back, has legendary reputation for surviving in the most extreme places on earth. All points to these vehicles of choice.

I'm looking specifically for an older Land Rover Defender 110 specifically, jokes have been made that I should get something newer like a fancy Prado or similar.

Yeah right.

1 Like

Re: How Did Toyota Hilux And Land Cruiser 70 Become The Terrorist Favorite Vehicles. by Frankestein08(m): 5:39am On Oct 16, 2015
Bossforeva:
see what this man is saying. We are talking of ISIS fighters and their truck of choice, you are here talking of how Toyota products and how they are flooding nigerian roads. Mentioning the mods so that ur lame comment be seen on frontpage.
Who even gave u that like on ur comment?

Go bak n tell hueva sent that you didn't see me.
it's hilarious how someone will just burst in n stat spewing words lyk a deranged bastard.
I'm sorry to say sir but your sense of humour is dead. you really need to receive sense.

3 Likes

Re: How Did Toyota Hilux And Land Cruiser 70 Become The Terrorist Favorite Vehicles. by Nobody: 6:53am On Oct 16, 2015
Frankestein08:

Go bak n tell hueva sent that you didn't see me.
it's hilarious how someone will just burst in n stat spewing words lyk a deranged bastard.
I'm sorry to say sir but your sense of humour is dead. you really need to receive sense.
accept advice from people. Am not Helen Paul that cracks lame jokes for you to laugh.
Why were u mentioning the admin to see ur comment? Mature Man.
Re: How Did Toyota Hilux And Land Cruiser 70 Become The Terrorist Favorite Vehicles. by Femtopford(m): 7:48am On Oct 16, 2015
Hey big broses "Frankenstein08/bossforever" me I don see dis as laff Matta ooooo. It's like comfort that ease you from the day's stress. Let's consider it as jolly period, we are one great family on nairaland.
Re: How Did Toyota Hilux And Land Cruiser 70 Become The Terrorist Favorite Vehicles. by kingreign(m): 8:23am On Oct 16, 2015
EgunMogaji:
Think like a bad guy, what vehicle do you want to drive when you have to operate in a rugged terrain, loaded down with ordinance, absolutely have to make an escape, can't be broken down.

You look for a vehicle that has solid axles front and back, has legendary reputation for surviving in the most extreme places on earth. All points to these vehicles of choice.

I'm looking specifically for an older Land Rover Defender 110 specifically, jokes have been made that I should get something newer like a fancy Prado or similar.

Yeah right.

An Xterra Nissan is what you can cheaply get. Its got front and rear live axle.
Re: How Did Toyota Hilux And Land Cruiser 70 Become The Terrorist Favorite Vehicles. by Nobody: 5:31pm On Oct 16, 2015
kingreign:

An Xterra Nissan is what you can cheaply get. Its got front and rear live axle.

Nope, I won't be caught dead in that POS, I am an Autoist Sir.

Give me a Defender 110 or give me nothing grin

Re: How Did Toyota Hilux And Land Cruiser 70 Become The Terrorist Favorite Vehicles. by DaimlerBen(m): 12:41am On Oct 17, 2015
EgunMogaji:

Nope, I won't be caught dead in that POS, I am an Autoist Sir.

Give me a Defender 110 or give me nothing grin
But, Sir, Jeremy touted the Peugeot 504 as being tougher (not more off-road worthy) than the Land Rover, his own country's brand! I'm still looking for that complete video, all I see is the one submitted by our Oga Peugeotagonist. grin
Re: How Did Toyota Hilux And Land Cruiser 70 Become The Terrorist Favorite Vehicles. by Nobody: 1:00am On Oct 17, 2015
DaimlerBen:

But, Sir, Jeremy touted the Peugeot 504 as being tougher (not more off-road worthy) than the Land Rover, his own country's brand! I'm still looking for that complete video, all I see is the one submitted by our Oga Peugeotagonist. grin

Oh yeah? grin

I will place my trust and money on the Land Rover when it comes to the time to do a proper 4X4 rig.

I will consider nothing else but the Defender 110. In fact if Jeremy gives me an Xterra I will promptly sell it to buy a Landie. if he gives me a Peugeot I will promptly set it on fire alongst with about $5k just to save the drama and be ahead grin

1 Like

Re: How Did Toyota Hilux And Land Cruiser 70 Become The Terrorist Favorite Vehicles. by DaimlerBen(m): 1:13am On Oct 17, 2015
EgunMogaji:

Oh yeah? grin

I will place my trust and money on the Land Rover when it comes to the time to do a proper 4X4 rig.

I will consider nothing else but the Defender 110. In fact if Jeremy gives me an Xterra I will promptly sell it to buy a Landie. if he gives me a Peugeot I will promptly set it on fire alongst with about $5k just to save the drama and be ahead grin
When it comes to proper off-roading, Land Rover it is, non-debatable. What I mean is, can it do a million kilometers? Besides, there are 4x4 504's.

1 Like

Re: How Did Toyota Hilux And Land Cruiser 70 Become The Terrorist Favorite Vehicles. by mili3kid(m): 1:23am On Oct 17, 2015
EgunMogaji:

Yeah right.
chai my brother... U just spoke my mind. i av found myself falling in some sort of awkward love with dt ride recently.... i rly wish I cld find a very clean one in top condition

1 Like

Re: How Did Toyota Hilux And Land Cruiser 70 Become The Terrorist Favorite Vehicles. by Nobody: 1:34am On Oct 17, 2015
DaimlerBen:

When it comes to proper off-roading, Land Rover it is, non-debatable. What I mean is, can it do a million kilometers? Besides, there are 4x4 504's.

There are many 4X4's, why are you up against me choosing what I like?

You choose a 504 6X6, I have chosen a Land Rover Defender 110.
Re: How Did Toyota Hilux And Land Cruiser 70 Become The Terrorist Favorite Vehicles. by Nobody: 1:35am On Oct 17, 2015
mili3kid:

chai my brother... U just spoke my mind. i av found myself falling in some sort of awkward love with dt ride recently.... i rly wish I cld find a very clean one in top condition

You'll most likely have to build one yourself or import one from abroad. It won't be cheap though.

If I were you I would find the best example I can afford in Nigeria and order body panels and other bits that it might need.
Re: How Did Toyota Hilux And Land Cruiser 70 Become The Terrorist Favorite Vehicles. by DaimlerBen(m): 2:53am On Oct 17, 2015
EgunMogaji:

There are many 4X4's, why are you up against me choosing what I like?

You choose a 504 6X6, I have chosen a Land Rover Defender 110.
The topic was about why Toyotas are the preferred vehicles of militias, which is due to their toughness. I was just sparring a little, putting forth a car touted as being tougher than your beloved Land Rover. I have absolutely NOTHING against Land Rovers, except maybe for the haves using it to oppress the have-nots & the gonna-haves. grin

1 Like

Re: How Did Toyota Hilux And Land Cruiser 70 Become The Terrorist Favorite Vehicles. by Nobody: 2:56am On Oct 17, 2015
DaimlerBen:

..I have absolutely NOTHING against Land Rovers

Very well then.

Have a nice weekend.
Re: How Did Toyota Hilux And Land Cruiser 70 Become The Terrorist Favorite Vehicles. by Flye: 2:58pm On Oct 18, 2015
The truth is Toyota is d most rugged car, with little expertise and spare parts it is ready for use.

ISIS has access to many humvee in Iraq but they still go for hilux because it is less complicated and can serve the same purpose.
They only use the humvee when they want mork uncle Sam.

That is why you see Toyota in the most hostile and remote environment.

Go to villages in Gambia, Madagascar, Botswana, Fuji island etc most of d cars u will see are older version of Toyota.

U don't really need to be sophisticated to mentain it, depreciation takes longer time than others and average mecho can work on the engine.

1 Like

Re: How Did Toyota Hilux And Land Cruiser 70 Become The Terrorist Favorite Vehicles. by Femtopford(m): 10:49am On Oct 21, 2015
Stylz69:
Well, Top gear showed that the hilux was practically indestructible! They drowned it, set it on fire
, dropped a caravan on it, hit it with a wrecking ball and place it on a 240ft building to be demolished...and it still survived.

How true?
Re: How Did Toyota Hilux And Land Cruiser 70 Become The Terrorist Favorite Vehicles. by kingreign(m): 1:46pm On Oct 21, 2015
Re: How Did Toyota Hilux And Land Cruiser 70 Become The Terrorist Favorite Vehicles. by Billion24(m): 10:00pm On Oct 21, 2015
CLEARANCE SALES!!!
Gucci Autos® is selling off these cars at amazing prices to create space for new ones, Hurry up and grab this amazing awoof deals

Toks 04 Toyota Matrix 1.150
Toks 05 Pathfinder 1.4m
Toks 010 Honda Accord 2.150
Toks 013 Venza 5.2m
Toks 013 Highlander 6.5m
Toks 012 Highlander 5.5m
Toks 06 Highlander 2.4m
Toks 06 Highlander limited 2.5m
Toks 05 highlander 2.3m
Toks 09 Camry XLE, DVD 2.350m
Toks 010 Lexus RX350 5.4m
Toks 013 Lexus RX350 6.8m
Toks 014 Lexus RX350 8.5m
Toks 05 Lexus RX330 2.6m
Toks 012 Camry 3.6m
Toks 011 Camry GLX 3m
Toks 04 Corolla Sport 1.450m
Toks 06 Benz E55 Amg 2.7m

None of these cars are negotiable, they are last and not negotiable in anyway

Kindly share this with ur friends

NOTE: All cars are available 4 inspection in lagos & not abroad, all price remain final as they are not negotiable.

Call✆/Whatsapp +2348130641677
Pin:2304594F
E-mail: gucciautos@gmail.com
Fb: http://facebook.com/GucciAutos

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Engine Oil And Alloy Rims / 2005 Honda Accord EX Jerking Issues / Peugeot 407 Transmission Fault

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.