Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,606 members, 7,812,987 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:41 AM

Women In STEM - Family (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Women In STEM (29511 Views)

Women In Ancient Nigeria / How Infidelity Landed Some Nigerian Men And Women In Hospitals / Discrimination Against Women In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Women In STEM by Nobody: 11:10pm On Oct 16, 2015
craziebone:
@mindfulness

thank god you said "some countries". I can offer an explanation to it.

I believe the countries you find that trend are countries whose tools in test and measurement of goals of educational objective in the sciences are geared towards recall rather than a thourough analysis of scientific phenomenon. I believe the link i gave you also confirms that women are better at memory than guys.

Miller and Osborne (1998), in identifying the most important factor the assessment in sciences should seek to measure, noted that rather than emphasize on the recall of specific details of facts, assessment in sciences should give greater weight to the assessment of a holistic understanding of major scientific ideas and critical understandin of science and science reasoning.

Many countries' tools used to measure educational outcome in the sciences are geared towards recall. Tis could explain that trend was reported.

I will tell you about my experience in school, wich i just finished.

When we were being taught Quantum Mechanics in 300L, non of us students could follow up on what the teacher was teachin us. When we were writing the exam, my coursemate, a lady who was leadin us in class at the time, was busy filling up her answer sheet with the right answers to the questions. I was just siting there only able to solve one question out of four. I looked into her work and saw she was just downloading. I had the option of copying from her, but i refused, even though i knew that i was carryin over the course.
When the the result came out, she passed and i carried over the course as expected.

When i was oing to write the course again with my juniors, i asked if she could help put me through. She said she just doesn't know anything in the course! So te question is, how did they (those who passed it) pass the course in the first place? The answer lies in the tool used in the measuing of our behavioural outcome in Quantum Mechanics. The questions set for us were exact same lenghty proving that was given to us durin the course of the semester. We were suppose to cram and download wen the time comes. Since ladies are good at memorizing, like the article in the guardian told us, they are more likely to perform better in cases like this. But if you know the sciences very well, you will agree with me as well as with Osborne and Miller that the ability to recall is almost of no use, rather, a thorough understanding of phenomenon and acquiring scientific reasoning is what's needed.

Today, i can tell you more about Quantum Mechanics that almost all of my classmates can tell you about it. Including the lady.

To let you be sure that i did not just come up with this, you can check my profile and see the threads i have ever opened here on NL and you will see where i came here to discuss quantum mechanics. I was disappointed that the thread did not attract many people. You can also check the date i started the thread to be sure.

PISA, the best known assessment program, which compares school performance by country, by gender, by social class etc. measures, compares and contrasts the performance of students with the help of exactly the same methods, questionnaires AND worksheets.

3 Likes

Re: Women In STEM by Nobody: 11:39pm On Oct 16, 2015
I must
be present on this thread at least small cool grin

1 Like

Re: Women In STEM by doublex: 10:14am On Oct 17, 2015
are you talking about "our" forefathers that were enslaves by the white man and 'civilized' by them too? What exactly is difficult in medicine is what intelligent people understand(i.e not you). Now you are talking about all the engineering created by non-blacks?! Hahahahahaha the hypocrisy is laughable......does that mean according to you blacks are less intelligent(as you have listed all engineered creations by mostly whites)!!...according to me,its not. FOOL GET THIS:a group (in power) that discriminated and ostracized another group(in less power) and therefore has most oppurtinities is bound to be ahead. EVERYBODY LOOK AT THIS FOOL who would argue if a white man brought the same tactics against him!! So instead of using intelligence and common sense,he uses assumed personal insults and brute language ..as all fools do.AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA coogar old fool:"Bleep off"...(as you so disrespectfully told the kind wo/man Mindfullness) and "dont ever quote me again on this forum" cheesy

41 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Women In STEM by wisdomiskey(m): 10:14am On Oct 17, 2015

1 Like

Re: Women In STEM by wisdomiskey(m): 10:19am On Oct 17, 2015
Re: Women In STEM by doublex: 10:33am On Oct 17, 2015
MrsPhyno:
I must
be present on this thread at least small cool grin
definetly my sister cool

1 Like

Re: Women In STEM by Nobody: 12:19pm On Oct 17, 2015
wisdomiskey:

sayz the 18yr old hermaphrodite
who spends all day creating multiple
accounts on nL. cheesy

dats why yuh have nothing
going well for yuh in life.
Says a retarrded simpleton who logs in to this alternate to quote me whenever he sees my post.

Goes a long way to show that I am far above him by millions.
You are ignored, fool.
I'm whoever you believe I am in your mind. grin

Only insecure retardeens like your ilks spend time online arguing how they are superior to women.
Jobless and bitter motherfvcking imps with forlorn childhood, kindly transfer your aggressions to your haggard mothers and sisters not innocent Nairaland women who are not responsible for your woes! cheesy

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Women In STEM by francis18: 1:05pm On Oct 17, 2015
FrancisTony:

Says a retarrded simpleton who logs in to this alternate to quote me whenever he sees my post.

Goes a long way to show that I am far above him by millions.
You are ignored, fool.
I'm whoever you believe I am in your mind. grin

Only insecure retardeens like your ilks spend time online arguing how they are superior to women.
Jobless and bitter motherfvcking imps with forlorn childhood, kindly transfer your aggressions to your haggard mothers and sisters not innocent Nairaland women who are not responsible for your woes! cheesy

Says a retarrded simpleton who logs in wif different alternates to insult women whenever he sees their posts nd will never be measured 2 his mother or any member of hiz family in a milion years 2 come.

goez a long way 2 show dat you are far beneath any one here by millions.
you r not ignored ,cretin.

Only insecure retardeens like your ilks of frustrated lonely "married" women nd lonely,ababdonned,rejected,cursed spend time online arguing how they r superior in deir dreams.
jobless nd bitter motherfvcking imps with forlon chilhood devoid of the luv of a mother,father,kindly transfer ur agressions 2 ur haggard,LovePeddler,useless mother,thief,drunk,broke father for rejecting u at birth not the innocent gents nd women old enough 2c be ur mother even if dis sound lik a curse 2 dem who r not responsible for ur woes nd failure in life!
1 more thing stop liking ur posts,6 differents names were present nd never been seen around here before when u were typing only 2 have 6 likes in a space ov 2 min.loser.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Women In STEM by francis18: 1:15pm On Oct 17, 2015
coogar u r talking 2 no other dan dat feminist girl,she created dat moniker double 2 get at u......lly.dont worry abt the likes,only 3 feminists were here 2 like it,3 from unknown girls nd the rest 4rom francisca nd his alternates. grin grin was here,saw it. grin

wisdomiskey:

sayz the 18yr old hermaphrodite
who spends all day creating multiple
accounts on nL. cheesy
dats why yuh have nothing
going well for yuh in life.

see people dat likes iz posts.
duoble,resodielle,maryini nd his 6 different alternates. 4rm francisca himself.
francisca go create other alternates wif nairalander women u dream ur mother waz.waiting.

1 Like

Re: Women In STEM by francis18: 1:23pm On Oct 17, 2015
francistony still writing or buusy creating an alternate?who r u going 2 accuse dat i am dis time? grin
jst watch nd see the mumu boy responding lik the sick boy he is.

1 Like

Re: Women In STEM by coogar: 1:30pm On Oct 17, 2015
doublex:
are you talking about "our" forefathers that were enslaves by the white man and 'civilized' by them too? What exactly is difficult in medicine is what intelligent people understand(i.e not you).

you are a consummate retärd!

so your history told you that white men enslaved black men? this is what happens when a child is bereft of quality education. listen kid, white men did not enslave black men. black men enslaved black men. white men did slave trade. something was given back in return of the slaves that were taken by white people.

oyo kingdom took slaves from the neighbouring villages. arochukwu folks took slaves from the neighbouring villages. it's got nothing to do with white people. stop blaming the misery that has shrouded your entire life span.

Now you are talking about all the engineering created by non-blacks?! Hahahahahaha the hypocrisy is laughable......does that mean according to you blacks are less intelligent(as you have listed all engineered creations by mostly whites)!!...according to me,its not.

totally irrelevant to the discourse!

FOOL GET THIS:a group (in power) that discriminated and ostracized another group(in less power) and therefore has most oppurtinities is bound to be ahead.

it shall not be well with your entire generations for writing the above statement. how did the white people discriminate against your people? did they ever take slaves without the consent of your forefathers - the same ones that valued mirrors & alcohol to a human life?

EVERYBODY LOOK AT THIS FOOL who would argue if a white man brought the same tactics against him!! So instead of using intelligence and common sense,he uses assumed personal insults and brute language ..as all fools do.AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA coogar old fool:"Bleep off"...(as you so disrespectfully told the kind wo/man Mindfullness) and "dont ever quote me again on this forum" cheesy

you don't ever get to choose who quotes you. you are a mere mortal to coogar. in a twinkle of an eye, i can let the ground disappear from under you.

you are nothing but a disgraceful slut - we are telling you that you are inferior to the average male. you are not as intelligent as the average male. under no circumstance would a heifer like you ace me in any discourse or debate.

i am & will forever be your intellectual god!

francis18:
coogar u r talking 2 no other dan dat feminist girl,she created dat moniker double 2 get at u

which is actually fine by me.....
i have been putting slags like her in their place since abe lincoln signed the papers that freed slaves.

she should bring it on.......

27 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Women In STEM by Idowuogbo(f): 5:25pm On Oct 17, 2015
francis18:
coogar u r talking 2 no other dan dat feminist girl,she created dat moniker double 2 get at u......lly.dont worry abt the likes,only 3 feminists were here 2 like it,3 from unknown girls nd the rest 4rom francisca nd his alternates. grin grin was here,saw it. grin
Abeg who is this feminist girl? embarassed
Re: Women In STEM by bukatyne(f): 7:16pm On Oct 17, 2015
craziebone:
@mindfulness, i tink we should ive up on this issue of no emperical proof to show that men are better at anything more than women. The truth is, there are countless evidence unless we choose to ignore it just to make ourselves feel better. The reason why it can be a bit difficult for some people to accept this fact is because the stems, which require analytical skills, are what's toping te world today and are the biest earners. This whole thin is all about power.

Well. Below is a link for you to read. If you disagree with te method they used to come about this findin, well, it is in your court to present your objection and show that they are superior to the arguement given herein. I agree we shouldn't harp so much on this so as not to discourage ladies, but c'mon, we cannot deny nature.

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2013/dec/02/men-women-brains-wired-differently

Are STEMs really the top earners today?

I would have thought people in showbiz, politics (Nigeria), investment banking were the top earners.
Re: Women In STEM by ApexTitan(m): 8:43pm On Oct 17, 2015
^^^

I think what CB is trying to say is that the attention and focus that STEM draws is because of its capacity to drive and create wealth for societies. All the leading and wealthy nations we have today are powered by activities from STEM and as a result many individuals who participated in these fields were correspondingly top earners in relation to other occupations. Showbiz, investment banking and politics as sectors on their own are unable to drive create wealth for societies the way STEM does even though they might produce wealthy people too. The impact on society of say the introduction of the smartphone which is a product of engineering cannot be matched by anything produced from investment banking. Politics or showbiz have their wealth making effects on only a small fraction of people in that field and they do not produce anything that is of consequence outside of those sectors.

2 Likes

Re: Women In STEM by Nobody: 3:16am On Oct 18, 2015
ApexTitan:
^^^

I think what CB is trying to say is that the attention and focus that STEM draws is because of its capacity to drive and create wealth for societies. All the leading and wealthy nations we have today are powered by activities from STEM and as a result many individuals who participated in these fields were correspondingly top earners in relation to other occupations. Showbiz, investment banking and politics as sectors on their own are unable to drive create wealth for societies the way STEM does even though they might produce wealthy people too. The impact on society of say the introduction of the smartphone which is a product of engineering cannot be matched by anything produced from investment banking. Politics or showbiz have their wealth making effects on only a small fraction of people in that field and they do not produce anything that is of consequence outside of those sectors.

exactly the response i wanted to give. Thank you so much.
Re: Women In STEM by TV01(m): 11:40am On Oct 19, 2015
raumdeuter:
TV01

SEGREGATED SPECIALTIES:
 Women are only 29% of all physicians, yet they are
overrepresented in traditionally lower-paying
specialties. Pediatrics is the only specialty in which
women are the majority (55%).3, 7
 Women have the lowest representation in surgery.
In 2005, women were less than 6% of each
orthopedic, thoracic, urological and neurological
surgeons.5

http://crgp.ucsd.edu/documents/GenderinMedicalProfessionsCaseStudy.pdf

Baically even in the field of medicine and Surgery, the harder part are left for the men while the easier part are female dominated

I know some would say which are the harder part. Well in the US post med school redicency to be a Neuero surgeon is 7yrs while for family medicine is 3yrs

The average required USMLE scores for Neuerosurgery is way higher than most specialties

The figures speak for themselves. There is way more data out there that shows that men are "over-represented" for a whole host of reasons aside discrimination.

If real-life dynamics and lived experince don;t accord with your ideology, social re-engineering is not the answer grin!

TV
Re: Women In STEM by TV01(m): 11:49am On Oct 19, 2015
Stillfire:
Social engineering? TV01 stop slacking. It is within my rights to make postulations, that is how theories and laws come into place. grin
Based on sound data, real life dynamics and mutually acceptable outcomes that lead to flourishing for all. You are using what at best is a blinkered ideology to justify what will be costly and counter-productive social engineering.

Stillfire:
We can now go ahead and do our experiments as 'scientists' lmao on a sample of Nigerian girls based on my hypothesis that if we don't limit Nigerian girls to aspire to kitchen life cheesy, the drop out rate will decrease and we would have an increase in the number of nigerian girls in STEM.
Firstly, your hypothesis is clearly faulty grin! Secondly, your underlying assumption that most Nigerian girls arer STEM material is seriously flawed - not even most/many men are. Thirdly, nobody "limits" Nigerian girls - if they really want it - "and are capable" - it's there for the taking. Sounding like the only reason Nigerian girls eschew STEM is because they are actively discouraged undecided. Any limitations are likely from girls or women anyway.

Stillfire:
And no I am not despising the girls that aspire to kitchen life, I am concerned about the girls who have it in them but drop out due to some retrogressive ways of thinking.
Such will be minimal and are probably decreasing. The real cause is the choice of women themselves. End of.

TV

1 Like

Re: Women In STEM by TV01(m): 12:04pm On Oct 19, 2015
Mindfulness:
PISA, the best known assessment program, which compares school performance by country, by gender, by social class etc. measures, compares and contrasts the performance of students with the help of exactly the same methods, questionnaires AND worksheets.
All your questions and postulations here amount to very little. The real questions here are;

1. Do men have brains that are dissimilar in some ways, giving them differing relative advantages in some areas - point in question here being TEM?
2. Are men and womens brain wiring and structure exactly the same - or indeed, womens have superior intelligence specifically with regards to TEM - meaning under/over representation is due to discrimination?
3. Do womens choices - due to lifestyle, preference etc - play a part in under/over-representation

Please present cogent arguements to make a case either way. It's worth noting that Chess which ios a totally cerebral exercising - ignoring mens greater digit strength grin - has segregated championships for men and women. Why is this?

It is also worth noting that the best female player plays against men - not in the womens league, hence she is not the womens champion - and the top ten women from the womens league would not make the mens top 100.

Is this also due to age-old discrimination or regressive gender stereotyping? Or do men simply have a "relative advantage" in some areas? And perhaps womens strengths tend to lead them - if not coerced by ideology - to other areas?

I'm just being rhetorical here and don't expect answers - although I'd be pleasantly surprised.

TV

1 Like

Re: Women In STEM by Nobody: 4:58pm On Oct 21, 2015
TV01:

All your questions and postulations here amount to very little. The real questions here are;

1. Do men have brains that are dissimilar in some ways, giving them differing relative advantages in some areas - point in question here being TEM?
2. Are men and womens brain wiring and structure exactly the same - or indeed, womens have superior intelligence specifically with regards to TEM - meaning under/over representation is due to discrimination?
3. Do womens choices - due to lifestyle, preference etc - play a part in under/over-representation

Please present cogent arguements to make a case either way. It's worth noting that Chess which ios a totally cerebral exercising - ignoring mens greater digit strength grin - has segregated championships for men and women. Why is this?

It is also worth noting that the best female player plays against men - not in the womens league, hence she is not the womens champion - and the top ten women from the womens league would not make the mens top 100.

Is this also due to age-old discrimination or regressive gender stereotyping? Or do men simply have a "relative advantage" in some areas? And perhaps womens strengths tend to lead them - if not coerced by ideology - to other areas?

I'm just being rhetorical here and don't expect answers - although I'd be pleasantly surprised.

TV

Yes, men and women have slightly different brains but what advantages do they have due to these differences? I have done some research and I can tell you that scientists do not always agree on what these advantages are and this is why I am surprised that people on this thread seem to be so sure about it. It is also worth considering that there is more than one way for the brain to arrive at the same result so the brain differences in men and women can be responsible for a different approach to problem-solving and yet produce equally good results.

Some posters have claimed that men are better at math. Well, it is not so simple because there are studies that show that men are better at geometry but women better at arithmetics, which shows that a general statement like 'Men are better at math' is faulty to some extent since there are branches of math that men are better at and others that women are better at, according to some studies.

Moreover, the results of the 2009 program of international student assessment (PISA) show that

- boys more or less outperform girls in mathematics in 35 of the 65 countries that participated in the evaluation process
- there is no significant gender gap in 25 countries and that
- in five countries girls outperform boys.

It is also interesting to note that while Japanese boys outperform Japanese girls in mathematics, on an international level, Japanese girls outperform US American boys.

As you can see, it is not as simple as it might seem to be at first glance.

Regarding the 2012 PISA results, it can be said that science is the subject, in which gender gaps in performance are the narrowest.

- On average boys and girls achieve the same results.
- In 11 countries boys outperform girls.
- In 21 countries girls outperform boys.
- In the remaining countries there is no significant gender gap.

Interesting, isn't it?

The UK is one of the countries with the lowest number of female engineers (2007: 8.7%) but in Latvia the number was more than three times higher in 2007 (30.6%) and there are some other countries, in which almost one third of all engineers are female.

What is the reason for the low number of female engineers in the UK and the difference between the number there and the comparatively high number in Latvia?

Germany is the country with the highest number of engineers (both male and female). There were 1,213,800 engineers in Germany in 2007. The UK had only 640, 300 engineers in 2007. What is the reason for these differences? Nature?

I will skip the last two questions and the chess story in your post because it is getting complicated now and we need some focus. We can discuss the rest later.
Re: Women In STEM by Stillfire: 6:48pm On Oct 21, 2015
TV01:

Based on sound data, real life dynamics and mutually acceptable outcomes that lead to flourishing for all. You are using what at best is a blinkered ideology to justify what will be costly and counter-productive social engineering.

Firstly, your hypothesis is clearly faulty grin! Secondly, your underlying assumption that most Nigerian girls arer STEM material is seriously flawed - not even most/many men are. Thirdly, nobody "limits" Nigerian girls - if they really want it - "and are capable" - it's there for the taking. Sounding like the only reason Nigerian girls eschew STEM is because they are actively discouraged undecided. Any limitations are likely from girls or women anyway.

Such will be minimal and are probably decreasing. The real cause is the choice of women themselves. End of.

TV

So, you arrived at faulty hypothesis without carrying out an experiment to prove my hypothesis is faulty? Mr. man you can do better. All you had to say was ok, let's carry out this experiment on Naija girls. grin And this is simply a rate reaction , we would see an increase of girls in the STEM, if we decrease familial factors that hinders females. Are we going to deny that Nigerian girls are psychologically discouraged from going further in their endeavors but aspire to be wives first, defined by a husband? So why would a girl go into STEM, when your aspirations should be home economics grin. Boys are encouraged to be providers hence the doggedness to take financially rewarding courses of which a career in STEM stereotypically insinuates. There were a lot of 'last-carrying' boys in my class who should have just respected themselves and gone to less-tasking courses tongue. Take away these limiting factors and let's see if the percentage of Nigerian women in STEM would not increase. Simple.

2 Likes

Re: Women In STEM by Stillfire: 7:03pm On Oct 21, 2015
bellong:

You may not be far from the truth. The reason why there are more females in the biological and medical sciences is because they believe it is about reading and "pouring. To most of them, it doesn't require intensive mathematical exercise and modeling.

Naa, the top paying jobs are in the medical field. grin
Re: Women In STEM by coogar: 7:33pm On Oct 21, 2015
Stillfire:

So, you arrived at faulty hypothesis without carrying out an experiment to prove my hypothesis is faulty? Mr. man you can do better. All you had to say was ok, let's carry out this experiment on Naija girls. grin And this is simply a rate reaction , we would see an increase of girls in the STEM, if we decrease familial factors that hinders females. Are we going to deny that Nigerian girls are psychologically discouraged from going further in their endeavors but aspire to be wives first, defined by a husband? So why would a girl go into STEM, when your aspirations should be home economics grin. Boys are encouraged to be providers hence the doggedness to take financially rewarding courses of which a career in STEM stereotypically insinuates. There were a lot of 'last-carrying' boys in my class who should have just respected themselves and gone to less-tasking courses tongue. Take away these limiting factors and let's see if the percentage of Nigerian women in STEM would not increase. Simple.

even in the countries where such is non-existent, women are still found wanting. only 9% of all british engineers are females. are the females there also discouraged from going further in their career?

when are you actually going to admit that nature limits the women & it's got nothing to do with marginalisation or misogynistic culture? more females actually study these STEM courses but they soon abandon it for a less mentally tasking roles.

3 Likes

Re: Women In STEM by Stillfire: 7:45pm On Oct 21, 2015
coogar:

even in the countries where such is non-existent, women are still found wanting. only 9% of all british engineers are females. are the females there also discouraged from going further in their career?

when are you actually going to admit that nature limits the women & it's got nothing to do with marginalisation or misogynistic culture? more females actually study these STEM courses but they soon abandon it for a less mentally tasking roles.

Oh please, read from the beginning of my arguments. Nigerian girls roughly show to have the same rates of women in STEM despite our economic, social and misogynistic factors. It suffices to say that if these factors are taken out, Nigerian women would beat their Western counterparts.

1 Like

Re: Women In STEM by coogar: 7:55pm On Oct 21, 2015
Stillfire:

Oh please, read from the beginning of my arguments. Nigerian girls roughly show to have the same rates of women in STEM despite our economic, social and misogynistic factors. It suffices to say that if these factors are taken out, Nigerian women would beat their Western counterparts.

economic, social & misogynistic factors in nigeria? i put it to you that women are even more favoured than men in nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Women In STEM by Stillfire: 7:59pm On Oct 21, 2015
coogar:

economic, social & misogynistic factors in nigeria? i put it to you that women are even more favoured than men in nigeria.

Oh dear, you really want to go down that road with me?

1 Like

Re: Women In STEM by coogar: 8:02pm On Oct 21, 2015
Stillfire:

Oh dear, you really want to go down that road with me?

i am already standing on the road grin cheesy
there's no marginalisation in nigeria....women are constantly encouraged to read as far as they can go.

1 Like

Re: Women In STEM by Stillfire: 8:24pm On Oct 21, 2015
coogar:

i am already standing on the road grin cheesy
there's no marginalisation in nigeria....women are constantly encouraged to read as far as they can go.

Lol, but not at the detriment of her being husband-less...we don't want her to read 'too much' you know. grin Again limiting psychological factors.

Evidence number 1- women are sad because we are not doing home-economics, and trying to 'compete' with men, lmao.

https://www.nairaland.com/2251479/why-modern-woman-sad

coogar:

women should be educated - contrary to what you think, every man desires a woman that can present mentally-stimulating points in an argument. however, if she desires to marry & raise rugrats, her career needs to pause till those kids make it to high school(at the very least). it's the most ideal method to nourish the kids.

Shouldn't the removal of these 'limiting' factors raise the statistics of women in STEM? Why aim high in the grand scheme of things?

6 Likes

Re: Women In STEM by ApexTitan(m): 8:24pm On Oct 21, 2015
Stillfire:

Several questions for you:

Maybe I missed it somewhere but how did you arrive at this conclusion that Nigerian women have the same rates of representation in STEM as their Western counterparts?

What misogynistic factors prevents girls in Nigeria from entering STEM. (Any lady who didn't study STEM reading this thread is free to answer this one)

Are you seriously standing by your assertion that women in the West are lazy and that's why they are under-represented in STEM? Is there any real basis for this assertion?
Re: Women In STEM by coogar: 8:30pm On Oct 21, 2015
Stillfire:

Lol, but not at the detriment of her being husband-less...we don't want her to read 'too much' you know. grin Again limiting psychological factors.

that's just nature!
naija babes themselves desperately want to marry. grin

Evidence number 1- women are sad because we are not doing home-economics, and trying to 'compete' with men, lmao.

lemme read this.....

Shouldn't the removal of these 'limiting' factors raise the statistics of women in STEM? Why aim high in the grand scheme of things?

it's simply nature.
it would be the same if men get pregnant. cheesy
Re: Women In STEM by Stillfire: 9:41pm On Oct 21, 2015
ApexTitan:

Several questions for you:

Maybe I missed it somewhere but how did you arrive at this conclusion that Nigerian women have the same rates of representation in STEM as their Western counterparts?

Yeah you missed it. I posted it on the first or second page. Look for it. Nigerian women roughly have the same rates as Western women grin

What misogynistic factors prevents girls in Nigeria from entering STEM. (Any lady who didn't study STEM reading this thread is free to answer this one)

The premise of my argument between TV01 and I, was not about entering the STEM but about the girl child completing it. This would help push our numbers up. At the moment, our drop out rates are high. And one of the factors that limits the girl child are familial circumstances and sexist tendencies like this.

Why aim high, when you should be aiming to be a wife?

Are you seriously standing by your assertion that women in the West are lazy and that's why they are under-represented in STEM? Is there any real basis for this assertion?

It is not an assertion. It is an opinion considering the pace at which their foremothers started on, Western women should be doing better.

4 Likes

Re: Women In STEM by Stillfire: 10:14pm On Oct 21, 2015
coogar:

that's just nature!
naija babes themselves desperately want to marry. grin

lemme read this.....

it's simply nature.
it would be the same if men get pregnant. cheesy

Lemme give you an an example. My mentor in university, an older white woman with a doctorate, certified in her field, collaborated with a fellow male scientist. She did most of the work, it was her idea, it went well. She happened to get his resume, you needed to see what he wrote, you would think he was the principal investigator with the way he exaggerated his role in the research project. Who do you think would get hired? Who do you think would be paid more? Nobody told her to go and redo her own resume. grin Why did she tell me this? She said she noticed that girls are socialized to be modest - the quality or state of being unassuming or moderate in the estimation of one's abilities. Which I definitely agreed to. Now modesty is not bad, but never carry it into your life ambitions. But you find out girls carry that trait into situations that require Assertiveness, doggedness, which we socialize boys to have. And girls who understand this dynamic like my humble self grin are demonized for having assertive traits.

10 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Why Are Some Marriages So Boring? / Sex Denial Threatens 6-year-old Marriage In Lagos / Dealing With A Snoring Partner

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 111
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.