Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,194 members, 7,822,026 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:22 AM

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer - Travel (36) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer (323884 Views)

U.S. Immigration Crackdown, ICE Arrest Over 140 Workers At A Beef Plant(Pics) / See Reason Why A US Consular Refused To Grant Visa / Ask A Pilot... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) ... (96) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by francis523: 9:22am On Jun 20, 2016
Good morning VO,please I need ur help. I got my first passport 2009 but there was a mistake in my date of birth, which someone advice me that after it expired,that I can correct the issue while applying for renewal. But as I went to renew NIS is telling me that even if I bring documents to prove my real age that it will cost me #300,000 to correct it. So my question is:will there be problem if I apply for visa with the incorrect DOB in my passport then bring back up documents to prove my real age?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 11:35am On Jun 20, 2016
francis523:
Good morning VO,please I need ur help. I got my first passport 2009 but there was a mistake in my date of birth, which someone advice me that after it expired,that I can correct the issue while applying for renewal. But as I went to renew NIS is telling me that even if I bring documents to prove my real age that it will cost me #300,000 to correct it. So my question is:will there be problem if I apply for visa with the incorrect DOB in my passport then bring back up documents to prove my real age?

Your passport will need to be accurate. The other documents will be included as part of your immigrant visa petition.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by princekool4ya(m): 12:40pm On Jun 20, 2016
Good Morning Madam,

My sister had an interview on Jun 3 (minor Child or a GreenCard holder) and everything seemed fine. She was told to submit evidence of r/ship (photos, or email, or phone records) with my mom who filed for her. She was told to submit it at the GSS center with her passport. She quickly went to the nearest photo printing center and printed out 2 photos and submitted the pics and her passport to the GSS center on same day. She was given a document saying the Visa will be ready in 5-10 business days. We've checked the status of the Visa on the ceac website and it says ISSUED. The last update was on the 13th of June, which tells me that the Visa was printed on that day. Now we've called the Helpline number for the GSS center to see if the Visa is ready for pickup and no one answers the phone. We've been calling since Thursday last week and have not been able to get anyone on the phone. What can we do? We do not just want to go to the center without being certain the Visa is ready for pickup.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 1:14pm On Jun 20, 2016
princekool4ya:
Good Morning Madam,

My sister had an interview on Jun 3 (minor Child or a GreenCard holder) and everything seemed fine. She was told to submit evidence of r/ship (photos, or email, or phone records) with my mom who filed for her. She was told to submit it at the GSS center with her passport. She quickly went to the nearest photo printing center and printed out 2 photos and submitted the pics and her passport to the GSS center on same day. She was given a document saying the Visa will be ready in 5-10 business days. We've checked the status of the Visa on the ceac website and it says ISSUED. The last update was on the 13th of June, which tells me that the Visa was printed on that day. Now we've called the Helpline number for the GSS center to see if the Visa is ready for pickup and no one answers the phone. We've been calling since Thursday last week and have not been able to get anyone on the phone. What can we do? We do not just want to go to the center without being certain the Visa is ready for pickup.

You can also try contacting the Consulate by sending an e-mail to LagosIV@state.gov for more information about your specific case. Only GSS< however, will know if they have the visa at their facility and ready for pickup.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by ilanix: 5:20pm On Jun 20, 2016
Goof day sir,

how do I know my my case has been moved from the NVC to the lagos consulate as i was told my case has been completed and is on queue awaiting for appointment oversea.
more, so i can get an appointment before my priority date becomes current as it is two months away.

thanks in advance.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by 9jaStar: 11:20pm On Jun 20, 2016
LagosNIV:

Approval of the application is determined by another agency, USCIS. We simply do the interviews at the Consulate. I can tell you that they will run a criminal background check on the petitioner and it can play a part in whether or not the petition is approved, but I don't know much more about it than that.

As far as being safe... Just don't make her angry I guess.

Moonlighting as a comedian, VO?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Damilolly(f): 12:13am On Jun 21, 2016
I'll be most grateful for your help.

My green card interview is next month.
I'm F1 category filed for by my dad so my birth certificate is the most important document for my application but I've lost my original birth certificate. sad The only copy I have is about 80% legible which I used for my immigrant visa application in 2007.Thankfully it was accepted but the original has been requested for at interview stage.
I was born in Lagos in 1978 and been having problems getting a certified copy from the former Lagos Mainland Local Govt that issued it; (now Surulere LG).

What will be acceptable as an original in this case please?

Thank you.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 7:00am On Jun 21, 2016
ilanix:
Goof day sir,

how do I know my my case has been moved from the NVC to the lagos consulate as i was told my case has been completed and is on queue awaiting for appointment oversea.
more, so i can get an appointment before my priority date becomes current as it is two months away.

thanks in advance.

You will be contacted to make an appointment - we contact applicants as soon as their files are received and processed.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 7:02am On Jun 21, 2016
Damilolly:
I'll be most grateful for your help.

My green card interview is next month.
I'm F1 category filed for by my dad so my birth certificate is the most important document for my application but I've lost my original birth certificate. sad The only copy I have is about 80% legible which I used for my immigrant visa application in 2007.Thankfully it was accepted but the original has been requested for at interview stage.
I was born in Lagos in 1978 and been having problems getting a certified copy from the former Lagos Mainland Local Govt that issued it; (now Surulere LG).

What will be acceptable as an original in this case please?

Thank you.

We are required to see the original document that was submitted as part of the petition. If you cannot provide this document, it may have to be sent back to USCIS for their determination.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Damilolly(f): 12:43pm On Jun 21, 2016
LagosNIV:

We are required to see the original document that was submitted as part of the petition. If you cannot provide this document, it may have to be sent back to USCIS for their determination.
Thanks for your response.
Will the attestation of birth from the Nigerian Population Comission be acceptable or a re-issue from the Local Government?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by dbblessboy(m): 1:24pm On Jun 21, 2016
Hello VO. please I need you to explain something for me. my dad is a US citizen and he's the kind of person that doesn't tell whatever he is doing for you.. he prefers to surprise. Concerning my immigrant visa petition, he recently asked for my 2x2 passport photograph and also my RECENT photographs. Please can you help me guess at what stage the NVC would require the beneficiary's passport photo and recent photographs. he wouldn't say. please explain to me.
thank you
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by WhoBeThisMan: 3:48pm On Jun 21, 2016
Good evening LagosNIV, I must commend you for the good work you are doing here, I'm really impressed.

My wife just gave birth to a baby boy here in Nigeria, but i would love her to give birth to our next child in the US, so that she can have the best possible care. How do I go about this?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 12:28am On Jun 22, 2016
Hello VO. Please I need your opinion on my last post. Please!!!.
I anticipate your response. Thank you for doing a good job
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 7:04am On Jun 22, 2016
dbblessboy:
Hello VO. please I need you to explain something for me. my dad is a US citizen and he's the kind of person that doesn't tell whatever he is doing for you.. he prefers to surprise. Concerning my immigrant visa petition, he recently asked for my 2x2 passport photograph and also my RECENT photographs. Please can you help me guess at what stage the NVC would require the beneficiary's passport photo and recent photographs. he wouldn't say. please explain to me.
thank you

Probably very early in the process - I don't work for NVC though so I don't know.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by OmoBendel24: 7:38am On Jun 22, 2016
@Justwise sir; Good morning! I really don't understand why my post was pulled down. Spamming, wrong thread, abusive, threatening, false, illegal, distracting, etc or what? That was a "suggestion" to the VOs/Embassy, GSS and applicants affected. There's yet another applicant Thankful11011 having same issue somewhere on Nairaland and asking questions, that post could have helped.

#Shrugs
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 8:39am On Jun 22, 2016
LagosNIV:

Damilolly:

Thanks for your response.
Will the attestation of birth from the Nigerian Population Comission be acceptable or a re-issue from the Local Government?

I am also following this post closely @LagosNIV
will a re-issue of from same office that issued the missing one suffice?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by gradekoko: 1:25pm On Jun 22, 2016
@ Lagos NIV
Thank you for the good work you do.
Please will a certified copy of birth certificate from the Lagos State Registrar of Birth and Death suffice as i was born in Lagos?.

Thank you.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by justwise(m): 8:34pm On Jun 22, 2016
LagosNIV:

Probably very early in the process - I don't work for NVC though so I don't know.

VO sorry the antispambot banned you because this post ^ but there is nothing wrong with that post.

Unbanned now.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by 2ndint: 12:20am On Jun 23, 2016
Hello sir,

I finally had my priority dates current for F24 category and got visa interview. During my interview VO asked repeatedly almost 6 times...Is your mother alive? Are you married or ever been married? I answered both questions truthfully that my mother is alive and living in US and I am not married/never married. At the end of the interview VO refused visa based on 221(g) and requested. Photographs of petitioner holding newspapers of that day with date of newspaper clearly visible.
I submitted above asked photographs and my passport to consulate within 2-3 weeks of initial refusal. Rather than getting visa, I received my passport back along with a letter indicating that Consulate is ready to proceed with my case, but in order to do that they would like me to appear in person. Letter doesn’t cite any law/INA, or ask to bring any documents, or ask to bring even passport.

What does this mean? Why they want to interview me again? Is this common?
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 6:59am On Jun 23, 2016
sledjama:

I am also following this post closely @LagosNIV
will a re-issue of from same office that issued the missing one suffice?

It will have to be determined at the interview what they are going to accept - usually an NPC birth certificate will suffice, but as mentioned, in order for the petition to be valid you have to submit the original of the document that was sent in for the petition.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by Nobody: 7:00am On Jun 23, 2016
2ndint:
Hello sir,

I finally had my priority dates current for F24 category and got visa interview. During my interview VO asked repeatedly almost 6 times...Is your mother alive? Are you married or ever been married? I answered both questions truthfully that my mother is alive and living in US and I am not married/never married. At the end of the interview VO refused visa based on 221(g) and requested. Photographs of petitioner holding newspapers of that day with date of newspaper clearly visible.
I submitted above asked photographs and my passport to consulate within 2-3 weeks of initial refusal. Rather than getting visa, I received my passport back along with a letter indicating that Consulate is ready to proceed with my case, but in order to do that they would like me to appear in person. Letter doesn’t cite any law/INA, or ask to bring any documents, or ask to bring even passport.

What does this mean? Why they want to interview me again? Is this common?

Every case is assessed individually based on the facts that are presented - I don't know the specifics of your case. At this point, you will simply need to attend the interview to move the process forward.
Re: U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer by kindmman(m): 7:17pm On Jun 24, 2016
Dear VO, there was a mistake in the date of birth on my WAEC certificate (1987 instead of 1985). Also, the names on the certificate is reads Akinsanmi Olatunde J., while the name on my passport reads Akinsanmi Alvin Olatunde. These are all documents been used in processing my visa. I have got affidavits to back up these differences. I want to ask if this will not likely spoil my chances at the interview.

(1) (2) (3) ... (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) ... (96)

Need Help With Direction / Which Country In Africa Has The Most Beautiful Women? / General German Work And Family Re-union Visa Enquiries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.