Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,963 members, 7,817,840 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:53 PM

Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics - Politics (348) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics (669081 Views)

OPC - Faseun & Adams Unite For Security Of Yoruba Commonwealth / SEUN - Re: Yoruba-commonwealth-politics / Goodluck Jonathan Returns From Commonwealth Assignment (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (345) (346) (347) (348) (349) (350) (351) ... (384) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by MayorofLagos(m): 2:01am On Nov 29, 2015
angiography:

Bode George was once the chairman of NPA, he failed...

I hate my Yoruba men failing while they were entrusted with strategic position just because of their greediness

So what if he fails? Ports are security gateways into the country. Your response here is unreasonable.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by MayorofLagos(m): 2:11am On Nov 29, 2015
Arogunmasa:
China/Japan shd cm and build us speed train joor. Am tried of living in densely populated cities. Civil engineers and architects should fashion us a way out of this mess. I believe having speed trains in SW Will improve socio_economic political development, let us open up the hinterland and empower the locals cos that's where most of the resources are IMO.

When you build them you invite more population from non Yoruba regions to come and lay siege and thrill in the new engineering toy.

Thats not we need at moment. We need political restucturing quick.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by baby124: 3:19am On Nov 29, 2015
MayorofLagos:
This is a Yoruba hunter walking with an animal on a leash. Appears he has domesticated the animal.

Anybody know what animal this is?
That animal can cause instant death by sight alone. Is it wearing clothes? Olorun Maje Ka Ri iru eleyi
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by modath(f): 4:07am On Nov 29, 2015
MayorofLagos:

When you build them you invite more population from non Yoruba regions to come and lay siege and thrill in the new engineering toy.

Thats not we need at moment. We need political restucturing quick.

You will remain blessed for this comment.....

I hardly engage people in this of discourse cos one hardly wins, the other side of the argument only view it on the periphery, never is the deep & all encompassing part given an objective look..

I refrain from criticizing successive governments in lagos ( a tinge of bias exists, i won't lie) because there exists a peculiar problem in Lagos & if Nigeria were to be populated with sane & sensitive leaders, Lagos should be getting double allocation...

Census / Opinions / assumptions put us at 180m people & 20m of these people live in lagos.. which means 1 in 9 Nigerians live Lagos, haba nah, there is no infrastructure put in place that will not fail...

Lagos also has a restriction; the Lagoon.... there is only so much that can be done when the Island has been fenced off.... & where is the fund to go over water ??

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by modath(f): 5:21am On Nov 29, 2015
Classicool:

In Oyo state there's nothing like right structures.... We vote as it pays..... Last election is an indicator to that... Ogbomoso votes massively Labour Party..... Oyo town vote massively for Accord party but Labour party came second..... Oke-Okun split between APC,LP.... Ibarapa split between APC and Accord.. Ibadan APC and Accord... So in Oyo state there's nothing like right structures is the battle for sharpest....

Bros you see yasef? cheesy... You used your own hands to flaw your own argument... cheesy cheesy

So it was Ajimobi that payed in 2015 ?, conveniently forgetting that he is just a mere beneficiary of the change mantra (According to people who are in the thick of events when it comes to Oyo politics)

A large majority still maintain that he only got votes cos of the Buhari factor , likewise the Reps & Senators..

Don't argue for the sake of one upping the other person, let facts on ground guide you & be objective , days & weeks before the elections, we were inundated with talks & opinion about how it was sure Ajimobi wasn't going to return but what happened

Ajmobi's structure returned him to Agodi, we can stay all day complaining about the Buhari factor & what not but had Ladoja or Seyi Makinde had the same support base, either of them could have taken it too..
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Classicool(m): 5:54am On Nov 29, 2015
modath:

Bros you see yasef? cheesy... You used your own hands to flaw your own argument... cheesy cheesy

So it was Ajimobi that payed in 2015 ?, conveniently forgetting that he is just a mere beneficiary of the change mantra (According to people who are in the thick of events when it comes to Oyo politics)

A large majority still maintain that he only got votes cos of the Buhari factor , likewise the Reps & Senators..

Don't argue for the sake of one upping the other person, let facts on ground guide you & be objective , days & weeks before the elections, we were inundated with talks & opinion about how it was sure Ajimobi wasn't going to return but what happened

Ajmobi's structure returned him to Agodi, we can stay all day complaining about the Buhari factor & what not but had Ladoja or Seyi Makinde had the same support base, either of them could have taken it too..
What happened to Ajimobi was luck... Him too knew it.... That's why when he was giving his thanksgiving speech he said he couldn't believe him that he would return....

But if was the right structure why didn't Alao Akala returned in 2011 despite the fact that PDP almost swept all vote in both Senate,Reps except Gov... So there's nothing like right structure.... If it's right structure why did APC lose chunk of their reps in oke-ogun and ibadan though some later decamp...
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by MayorofLagos(m): 7:48am On Nov 29, 2015
modath:

I hardly engage people in this of discourse cos one hardly wins, the other side of the argument only view it on the periphery, never is the deep & all encompassing part given an objective look..

I refrain from criticizing successive governments in lagos ( a tinge of bias exists, i won't lie) because there exists a peculiar problem in Lagos & if Nigeria were to be populated with sane & sensitive leaders, Lagos should be getting double allocation...

Census / Opinions / assumptions put us at 180m people & 20m of these people live in lagos.. which means 1 in 9 Nigerians live Lagos, haba nah, there is no infrastructure put in place that will not fail...

Lagos also has a restriction; the Lagoon.... there is only so much that can be done when the Island has been fenced off.... & where is the fund to go over water ??

My sister, God bless you too on this Sunday.

I never looked at the equation from that ratio of 1:9. On a second look, the 9 living elsewhere are spared the rat race survivability and aggresion faced by the 1 in Lagos. Lagos remits a percentage of IGR to the center, it ought to keep it all, 100%.

To help depopulate the state FG can create incentives to attract indigenous investments through parnership with regional stakeholders. For example, I don't know that anyone would turn down interest free loan if its offrred for seeding production indigenously. To really get acceptance, anyone with proven success in a ten or fifteen year tenure should qualify for write off of the seeding loan.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by modath(f): 7:51am On Nov 29, 2015
Classicool:

What happened to Ajimobi was luck... Him too knew it.... That's why when he was giving his thanksgiving speech he said he couldn't believe him that he would return....

But if was the right structure why didn't Alao Akala returned in 2011 despite the fact that PDP almost swept all vote in both Senate,Reps except Gov... So there's nothing like right structure.... If it's right structure why did APC lose chunk of their reps in oke-ogun and ibadan though some later decamp...

You win, you will hold on to your argument no matter how glaringly CONTRADICTORY ,there is no need taking it further.... sad

I'm sure the Agboola, Adeseun, Lanlehin & co will be wondering what they did to mother luck in 2015.. cheesy cheesy

You can have the last word... *mic drop* ..
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by htconeline: 7:58am On Nov 29, 2015
The only boarder fetching money for nigeria are in SW.
I don't know why one man from north we be choose to head the comptroller general in every regime.
And yoruba most be aggressive in shouting about been marginalized in the custom service......
If u check the federal a point mentioned from 1999 to 2015....u wil know that yoruba have been side line for too long.

DAWN should work hard and made ibadan airport come to live.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by angiography(m): 8:07am On Nov 29, 2015
MayorofLagos:

So what if he fails? Ports are security gateways into the country. Your response here is unreasonable.
yea it's unreasonable coz you didn't see beyond the dimension of having ur tribesmen there even tho they're corrupt

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Classicool(m): 8:37am On Nov 29, 2015
modath:

You win, you will hold on to your argument no matter how glaringly CONTRADICTORY ,there is no need taking it further.... sad

I'm sure the Agboola, Adeseun, Lanlehin & co will be wondering what they did to mother luck in 2015.. cheesy cheesy

You can have the last word... *mic drop* ..

That's it.. Happy Sunday....
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 8:42am On Nov 29, 2015
ARIZONA123:
. That is a man you are talking to. Though a man with boobs

U no reply again ooo
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Belmot(m): 9:08am On Nov 29, 2015
Classicool:

No structure No victory.... Ajimobi had the right structure

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by jstbeinhonest(m): 10:40am On Nov 29, 2015
Today has been really slow
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by tupacshakur(m): 10:54am On Nov 29, 2015
CabbieAC:
Speaking of Tupacshakur

I stumbled upon a thread where you were telling that foo.l to come jam you at small London grin Iya ma je weregrin cheesy

I believe you were talking about Medube right?

MayorofLagos,are you familiar with Medube?

Iya o ba ti jeju grin. Mi o ti e ni ra igbo fun awon smallie mi ki won to na kisa kuro l'ara e!

Small London is different from Medube.

Medube is just opposite Small London, across the road from Small London but still within Shitta.

Medube is around where the popular Lemo joint is situated. Those zones are for the strong-hearted, if you know what I mean.

Marijuana, gbana, hard drugs, wild b!tches, gambling, guns and all other vices you can think of.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by tupacshakur(m): 10:57am On Nov 29, 2015
CabbieAC:

Truer words never been said

When someone tells you he knows small London,never take him for jokes lol

grin grin

Aare baba, I tried quoting Shymmex but he seems to have deactivated his account.

Why na? The thread is back to the Politics section, after all.

Shymmex, no try am o. Come back to this thread sharp sharp!

Abi na Shymmex be TreyQ?
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by OnReflection: 11:35am On Nov 29, 2015
angiography:

I agree with you.

Now, what's your template for the way forward.
Want to see ur own personal perspective

I said mine with first post of this stage

I will provide a response later.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by ekafine(f): 2:07pm On Nov 29, 2015
Yorrrobbers do not like the truth. Discuss

Osun State Governor, Ogbeni Rauf Areg­besola has said that all States must look in­ward for survival as funds com­ing to them from the federation account can no longer support their development projects.

He said, “We must at this point tell ourselves the truth, there is no money coming from the Federa­tion account, 34 million barrels of Nigeria’s crude oil are on the sea without buyers”.

“Money coming from the Fed­eration Account has dipped seri­ously and our hope for survival is in our hands, what our forefathers lived on was agriculture.

“We must now go back to the farms and work. We also need to pay our taxes so that government can meet its responsibilities”.

“For September, our state got N55.8 million. The money we received cannot pay for the power supply by Ibadan Electricity Distribution Company (IBEDC) that we use at the state Secretariat monthly”, The Governor lamented.

http://www.thebreakingtimes.com/we-must-tell-ourselves-the-truth-osun-got-n55-8-million-for-september-aregbesola/

https://www.nairaland.com/2769753/there-no-money-rely-federal

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Ritchiee: 2:24pm On Nov 29, 2015
Aregbesola laments paltry federal allocation
The Governor of Osun, State, Ogbeni Rauf Areg­ besola has said that states of the federation must look inward for survival as funds coming to them from the federation account can no longer support their development projects. Aregbesola said with Osun’s receipt of N55 million for the month of September, the message was clear that all avenues hitherto untapped must now be examined in order to sustain development initiatives. The Governor stated this at the commencement of the reconstruction of Orita-Olaiya-Ita- Olokan Road at Olaiya Junction to commemorate the 5th year of the Aregbesola-led government. The project is part of the designs to ensure smooth transportation within the state capital, Osogbo. He pointed out that money coming from the Federation Account has dipped badly hence the need for people of the state to look inward in advancing the course of the state by returning to Agriculture. He said, “We must at this point tell ourselves the truth, there is no money coming from the federa­ tion account, 34 million barrels of Nigeria’s crude oil are on the sea without buyers. “Money coming from the Federation Account has dipped seriously and our hope for survival is in our hands, what our forefathers lived on was agriculture. “We must now go back to the farms and work. We also need to pay our taxes so that government can meet its responsibilities. For September, our state got N55.8 million. The money we received cannot pay for the power supply by Ibadan Electricity Distribution Company (IBEDC) that we use at the state Secretariat monthly”. The governor told people at the programme. Advising people to adhere to town planning rules, Aregbesola also added that the issue of separating houses during road constructions and expansions could have been avoided if there had been strict adherence to town planning rules in the past. He emphasised that his government regrets and offer sincere sympathy to those that will be affected by the construction of the road which his administration is embarking on. The Governor admonished those affected to see it as their own sacrifice to the present administration’s effort to enhance the status of the state for better living conditions of the generality of the people. Aregbesola stated that Messrs RATCON Construction Company Limited will be undertaking the reconstruction of the road at the cost of N985,115, 410.78. He said, “The expansion of the road and the need to have a reasonable setback unfortunately mean that some buildings are already standing in the way and have to be separated. This could have been avoided if there had been strict adherence to town planning rules in the past. “We regret this and offer sincere sympathy to those affected. They should see this as their own sacrifice in our efforts to beautify our city and develop a decent human environment.”
http://sunnewsonline.com/new/aregbesola-laments-paltry-federal-allocation/
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by AtlanticBreeze: 2:30pm On Nov 29, 2015
grin grin grin
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by absoluteSuccess: 2:57pm On Nov 29, 2015
MayorofLagos:

Absolute Success,
How are you doing my brother?

I read your reference and I understand it, but did you understand my comment?

I did not anywhere say Awori was conquered and I am not one of those who subscribe to the falsehood that Bini is on the throne on account of its conquest against Lagos.

The truth is Dahomey was raiding Lagos and the truth is Bini conquered Dahomey in the lagoons and creeks of Lagos after an invite was sent to Bini for help against Dahomey.

I do not have time at hand to perch on here and churn out historical facts about Lagos but I post what i can in a rush and depart. So that piece was incomplete and i believe that left room for meanings to be read into it.

A key component was why Bini never had any conflict with Ijebu. Bini was not as ambitious as Oyo, they kept a defense force, whereas Oyo kept both attack and defense force. Oyo even had army reserves that can be activated at a moment notice.

If Bini had interest to install its authority on the sea, the farmlands of Aworis along the coast would have been usurped, the Idejo chiefs would have been overthrown and their lands confiscated, the salt mines in Mahin would have been taxed, Ijebu would have lost domination of sea trade, Ilaje would have been made a subject and tributary. So I get it...none of these places was attacked by Bini, so what brought Bini with Ilaje war boats to Lagos? It couldnt be Awori...it had to be Awori antagonists and that was Dahomey.

Great soul, i'm fine o.

I have to speak out, you know what people do with Yoruba history now, we provide the idea and they twist it to make us a distant-subject.

No one enjoys the bastadization of the history of his own people, we are at the entrance of the Yoruba land from the sea and we have kept the gates.

yes the Dahomey were a ferocious people, terribly consuming every obstacles on their path, but Awori escaped her,

And of course, Dahomey was at the service of the ijebu at one time or the other to sack a part of Yoruba land. I haven't come across a tale of Awori asking for bini's help.

I just want to be sure its not John Losi's work going through various forms of reforms to make our domain count as satellite to a great Bini empire.

Let them feed us their side of the story.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Ritchiee: 3:02pm On Nov 29, 2015
When I read the news about Aregbesola saying that Osun state got a paltry sum from the Central govt,I remember this from Fun...

LORD we thank you for life. We thank you for how
far you have brought us. These past months, you
have shown us great and many troubles. You
more than once proved that you are the giver of
life and the taker of it. We saw fire, we saw blood
and death in the holy of holies. Yet you kept us till
this moment, this hour.

At some point, it looked like we were going under,
like this is a hopeless nation. But you kept us.
What broke others made us stronger. So we bring
thanks in spite of our many struggles. We are glad
to be here, on the threshold of another brand new
year. It has been a long year, a year of ups and
downs. This is year you exposed the rump of
many chickens and demystified those we thought
were infallible. You preserved the masses even
when they were served poisons right from January

You encouraged flood victims when those who
were supposed to give them succor stole from
them. You gave them strength when those who
were well arrayed left them in the cold. You kept
this nation together in spite of every threat and
prediction of breakup. For these and many bless­
ings we are grateful. However, we need to report
ourselves to you before our leaders make their
new year resolutions. Considering what they did to
us this year, we need to hand them over to you
before they make new plans and execute us. Yes,
execute us. Dear Lord, you really have to help us
out here.

We are poor, needy and in distress but we are
many. We can pray. We can shout louder than our
oppressors and you said if your people that are
called by your name return to you, you will heal
their land. You said you are our present help in
time of distress. What is more, our leaders have
everything, great mansions, sleek jets and bullet-
proof automobiles. We have nothing but our
distress. Please don’t let them rob us blind in as
we approach a new year. With everything that
makes you God, stop them whichever way you can
from making our lives miserable in the coming
year. We cannot take their comforts from them but
you can.

If they dip their hands in our tiny pockets to
further stuff their overflowing ones, take away their
comforts. We know you are a merciful God, forgive
their past sins if you want, but don’t let them get
away with fresh thieving. These leaders, not all of
them are leading. Many are raiders. Bless those
who bless us and curse those who are causing us
to live like a cursed nation. Those who wake up
every day determined to make money to further
impoverish us, let them see the side of you that
makes you the Terrible One and Lord of hosts.
We know you know all of them, including those
who pretend to be on our side.

Those who take money meant for our roads and pocket them and
those who see them doing it and turn their eyes
away. Those who profit from untimely death of
helpless Nigerians. Those who bring in outdated,
dead hospital equipment just because they can
afford treatment abroad. Those who occupy critical
offices in critical sectors of the economy but watch
the nation go to waste, you know them. They are
the eaters of our flesh and the drinkers of our
blood.

You know what you promised to do to such
people. Hear the voices, the groans of millions of
youths in Nigeria who have no jobs because the
raiders have eaten both profit and capital of this
project called Nigeria. For 430 years, the Israelites
were under their task masters in Egypt, labouring
under heavy yokes until you heard their groaning
and decided to do something about their tears. In
the new year, shame the Pharaohs and deliver us
from bondage.

I know you know that Pharaoh and his horses and
their riders all perished in the sea. We, all 170
million Nigerians minus the raiders, are asking with
faith that you show up as the Mighty Man in Battle.
Because Lord, we are really at the shore of the Red
Sea and we do not know how to cross to safety.
We are desperate. We are afraid. We have no
weapons. Our raiders have everything. We can’t
even sue them successfully. You need to show up,
let them know that you made the foundations of
the world.

I can tell you this, these people are drinking
champagne and cognac straight from the bottle
and are so drunk they are beginning to think they
created themselves. Will you let them get away
with thinking that you, God, does not exist? Will
you? We know that taking what belongs to us has
become second nature to our raiders. They
probably can’t stop stealing but we need them to
increase ‘our allocation’. We know they will want
to buy more jets, more houses while more roads
fall apart and our children fail more examinations.
Touch their hearts to do what is right otherwise
you can smite them on the cheeks…
We have suffered great losses this year. We have
had many burials. Both young and old trees have
fallen. We cannot query you. We can only beg you
to grant them eternal rest. Our fathers also taught
us to thank you in every situation. So, we thank
you.

Now,dear Raiders of the Federal Republic (RFR),
you need to repent now, before the arrival of the
seven plagues of Egypt at your doorsteps. For the
avoidance of confusion, these are the qualities of
RFR. They profit while the nation looses. They
make money off the sweat on the bent backs of the
masses. They take money meant for improving
education.

They celebrate their wealth at every available
opportunity. They are the reasons there is daily
carnage on our roads. They deploy bureaucracy to
ensure the lives of Nigerians are difficult. They take
bribes to deliver judgement. They hoard PHCN
metres. They hide files in Ministries. They cook
the books and share unspent funds from their
budgets between 27th and midnight of December
31 every year. They inflate budgets and spend
money meant for healthcare on travel allowances.
They let national robbers get away with national
robbery.

They make Nigeria unliveable, our lives
unbearable.RFR join hands and conspire to make
us all live in poverty surrounded by wealth. They
make carrying a green passport a shame. They
make us a laughing stock while they stack up
wealth for their unborn great grand children.
May I remind them that nothing lasts forever and
that no matter what they think; they WILL reap
what they have sown.

IF YOU ARE ONE OF THE RAIDERS OR RELATED TO A RAIDER, REMEMBER THAT KARMA IS A ...

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by laudate: 3:14pm On Nov 29, 2015
modath:

The lagoon is not a restriction. It is in fact, an asset. But many governors in Lagos have not harnessed its potentials appropriately. Fashola did a little bit, by trying to resuscitate water transport in the state, but what has been done so far, is only a tip of the iceberg.

Cities like Venice, Amsterdam etc., have done a lot to harness the potentials of their waterways. With the kind of funds Lagos has raised through the bond market in the previous years, it should have done a whole lot more to harness the potential of its waterways. undecided
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by laudate: 3:21pm On Nov 29, 2015
TreyQ:
Celebrating The Yoruba Culture ...

Pupils of Osun Foundation, Liverpool England dressed in Yoruba costumes for their school performance

Erm...traditional Yoruba outfits shouldn't be referred to as 'costumes.'. They are traditional Yoruba attire, or outfits, or dressing. An Englishman would not refer to his suit as a 'costume', neither would a Scotsman call his kilt a 'costume.' And I am yet to see an Indian woman call her sari, a costume.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Firefire(m): 4:00pm On Nov 29, 2015
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Firefire(m): 4:08pm On Nov 29, 2015

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 4:14pm On Nov 29, 2015
I REALLY LIKE THIS THREAD.BEST THREAD ON NAIRALAND cool
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Ritchiee: 4:36pm On Nov 29, 2015
The Yoruba nation was and will always be one of the greatest nations in the world.But in recent times one would be forced to ask if our politicians in Yorubaland do not remember that this world is transient...
Yes,this would happen to you and I:

“It was the case of one wealthy(politician) man whose word was law and whose influence spread far and wide.
He had everything: money, power, fame, position,
wives, children, and all that money and affluence
could buy. He lived a life of extraordinary
opulence.

“Death knocked on his door and told him time was
up. The big man was startled and rattled. He
fretted and fidgeted. Beads of sweats streamed
down his rotund cheeks.

His heart beat jumped to
300 per minute. He almost collapsed. Quickly he
gathered his breath, flung himself in prostration
and begged Death to spare his life and give him
more years to enjoy his hard earned stupendous
wealth. I still have young children. The current set
of my children, 17 of them are under 5 years of
age. I beg you,” the man of means shivered as he
held tightly to Death’s feet.
“That is not my business or concern,” Death
retorted.

“I beg sir. God will spare your own life and even
grant you eternity. I beg you,” Mr Richman
continued his plea with obvious agitated voice.
“You are wasting my time. Okay. In the next twenty
seconds I shall order your eyes closed and your
lungs shut down,” Death roared.

In a miraculous turn of events, Death told the
frightened man that he would spare his life, but the
man must watch out for the signals that would
herald his next call, and on that day it would be
final.
Richman was very happy. He sprang to his feet,
wiped tears off his face and cried Allah Akbar!

Death never gives a notice. When Death says it is
over, it is over. And this is why people say that
nobody can predict the day he will die, where he
will die. How he will die. And what hammer shall
snuff life out of his nostrils.
“One year passed. Death did not show up. Two
years, three years, four years, five years, ten years,
fifteen years, and twenty years passed, Death did
not come to keep his date.
At exactly twenty five years after the first dreaded
visit, and with the Big man completely oblivious
that Death might ever come again, forgot himself
and planned an elaborate twenty-one in one where
he was to give out 21 daughters in marriage.
Death roared his entry. “Now pack up. Time is up.
In the next five minutes Assarahelu will escort you
to heaven.”
“But sir,” Richman father of the brides stammered,
“But you said, you said, you, you would give me
notice notice.”
“Of course, my friend, I gave you not only a notice
but quantum notices, signals and signposts.”
“No sir. I did not receive any. If I had received any
I would not have fixed these elaborate weddings
for today. Look at all the dignitaries; our President,
our Prime Minister, our Ministers, Justices, Veteran
journalists, our Obas, Obis, Obongs, Emirs and
Sultans. Wait let me give you 100 billion Naira.”
Death roared in laughter. “You think I am a
Nigerian? Come on, here you go.”
“For the records, I did send you notices. When I
first called here, how many teeth did you have in
your mouth? “ Death asked.
“Thirty–two sir,” Father of the brides trembled.
“How many do you have now?”
“ I have only four original teeth left sir, the 28
others are artificial,” Richman answered.
“The last time I came you recognised me clearly.
On this occasion you requested your children to
identify who I was because your sight was blurry,”
Death demanded an answer.
“You had no arthritis when I first came here. Your
hearing was excellent. You had no rheumatism, no
backache, no prostrate…” Death rolled out several
health and ageing challenges the big man had
encountered.
“How many heaps can you now cultivate? How
many heaps…and you said I did not warn you I
was coming. You had more notices that were
required.”
“The rich man slumped and Death disappeared.”
YES,DEATH WILL COME SOONER OR LATER BUT HOW PREPARED ARE YOU?

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Ritchiee: 5:49pm On Nov 29, 2015
THE OLADAPO STORY

Remarkable achievements by Nigerians
who reside in overseas countries are
difficult to identify in light of the
widespread view that our citizens are
mostly involved in inappropriate
behaviour, regardless of where they live.

Not only is that view highly exaggerated,
it also tends to diminish the notable
accomplishments of many Nigerians, who
contribute in various ways to the
development of their fatherland.

So, when I received on Sunday, August 9,
this year, an email from Mr. Adebayo
Oladapo about a new digitised Nigerian
food recipe application applications
(apps) he created to make it easy for
anyone, including children, adults and
young people to cook our traditional
foods, I decided that must be one
outstanding achievement that deserves to
be acknowledged and publicised.

Oladapo is the director of a private
enterprise, TalkaSoft Pty Ltd in Brisbane,
Australia.
The applications (apps)- Digitised Nigerian
Food Recipe and Shopping List app-
provide step-by-step guide to food
preparation.
It also contains an ingredient list that can
be converted to a shopping list, which
could be used at the shops or ordered
online.

The applications are available on Google
App Store and is expected to be available
on the Apple platform.
Anyone who has experienced the negative
image associated with Nigeria would
understand why I was delighted to find in
Oladapo’s innovation a reason to crow
about something that would help Nigeria
and its citizens to begin to redeem their
tattered image.

On Tuesday, September 15, this year, I
settled down in my office to interview
Oladapo on his latest and previous
technological innovations.
I asked what he intended to accomplish
through the development and his
response was as detailed and clinical as
you can expect from a man with a
humble background.

Oladapo said: “The app is intended to
modernise and at the same time preserve
one of the greatest exports of Nigerian
culture- our food. Every Nigerian
understands this.
“Our food has unified our people and our
cultures for many years and it deserves to
be preserved for future generations.
“Many people may wonder why and what
is so special about this app, after all, we
have many Nigerian cookbooks and other
apps that illustrate Nigerian foods.

“My response to such queries is that this
new app provides the recipe in a digitised
format, which means you can change the
attributes of the recipe (such as
ingredient quantity, unit costs and also
add more ingredients and link the recipe
to a shopping list, so that you can get
everything you need when shopping).”
He elaborated further: “The digitised
format enables you to calculate the
quantity and number of people who will
eat the food, thereby reducing waste and
ensuring the food maintains its taste and
comes out perfectly at all times, whether
you are cooking for two or 20 people.

“The format also allows the user to video
each cooking step and/or take pictures to
graphically explain the cooking processes.
“This provides an opportunity for
mothers, aunties and uncles and other
relatives to record their special recipes as
a legacy for their children.
“These functions are not available even in
the best cookbooks and other Nigerian
food apps currently in the market.”

The key features of the app, he said, are
that it can create new recipes for your
favourite dishes; use the best of Nigerian
food recipes already packaged with the
app; create your own preferred recipe
ingredients’ list; create your recipe
preparation process; create your recipe
cooking instructions; add recipe
ingredients to your shopping list; enter
each ingredient’s cost to have an idea
about the cost of the recipe; and add
extra number of people for whom the
food is intended. This will trigger the app
to automatically update the ingredient
quantities accordingly.

In addition, it enable you to know how
much the extra people will cost; get
phone alert for next cooking steps, so you
don’t miss a step, helping new starters to
cook perfect meals at all times; record
recipe ingredients with pictures and
videos and cooking instructions with
pictures and videos; share your recipes
with family and friends via SMS and
emails.

The second function allows you to create
ad-hoc shopping list, for example, save
and re-use your weekly shopping list;
know the amount your shopping will cost
you; create your shopping list as a daily,
weekly, monthly or ad-hoc shopping list;
recall shopping list items by speaking to
the app; use items barcode to insert the
app on your shopping list; and create
Favourite shopping list.

It is refreshing to note that something
remarkably groundbreaking could emerge
from our fellow citizen.
Through the app, Oladapo has
demonstrated a rare application of his
technological skills to the benefit of
humanity, not only in Nigeria and Africa,
but also across the world.
Oladapo was born in Osun State and grew
up in Lagos.

He graduated as a production engineer
from the University of Benin and worked
at the Federal Institute of Industrial
Research (FIIRO), Oshodi, Lagos, before
travelling to Adelaide, Australia to
undertake a postgraduate in Mechanical
Engineering at the University of South
Australia, specialising in Computer Aided
Design.
He subsequently worked for three years
as a research engineer for an agricultural
machinery company in Adelaide, but
following an observation about the
growing interest in Information
Technology (IT) in the early 1990s, he
changed occupation to focus on IT and
has worked in this area for the past 23
years.
Oladapo, who has lived in Australia for 26
years, currently works as a Principal
Consultant in Enterprise Documents and
Records Management Systems (eDRMS),
an IT company in Brisbane and doubles as
the director of his own firm, TalkaSoft Pty
Limited.
What could have motivated him to
develop the app? He said: “As a Nigerian
who has lived overseas for most of my
life, I was concerned that my children and
other Nigerian children born overseas
may not feel confident to continue
upholding our culture or preparing/
cooking Nigerian foods or sharing this
wonderful culture with their own family
when their parents have departed.
“The fear of what will happen to my
children in foreign land when I am gone
is the main motivation.
“Our legacy is mostly illustrated in our
language and our food. I promised myself
to do my very best, as an IT consultant/
developer, to use the technology at my
disposal to preserve our legacy and make
this more accessible to young Nigerians at
home and in the Diaspora and also to
preserve and expose them to other
African cultures.”
He added: “This is why I developed in
2007 my first application, Soro Nigeria,
which translated over 1,000 words and
phrases in Yoruba, Igbo and Hausa
languages to English, and Speak Ghana,
for translating Akan (Twi) and Ga
languages to English.”
These applications run on Windows 7, 8.1
and 10 operating systems and come with
their own language translation engine as
well.
Oladapo would appreciate support from
the Nigerian governments to develop
other apps.
He replied: “I would like to cover many of
the Nigerian languages, at least the main
ones, and also digitise many other
Nigerian food recipes. So, I would like to
work with the Nigerian government for
assistance and support.
“Our languages are so important to
preserve and it would appear that more
people are speaking English than our
dialects in Nigeria.
“This concerns me and I am ready to
work with federal, state and local
governments to translate their languages
or dialects and digitise their foods for
posterity.
“I see this as a further uniting factor for
our great country, knowing that if you
can speak other people’s languages or
cook their food, it makes it very difficult
to be one another’s enemies.”
Oladapo is an active member of the
Nigerian community in Queensland,
Australia and was a former president of
the association, during which he initiated
new ways of assisting Nigerian
community.
Through his apps, Oladapo guides users
on how to make their food choices,
including the ingredients required in
preparing the food, as well as the quantity
of ingredients required, the cost of
feeding a certain number of people and
time required to prepare the food.
Users are guided systematically on how to
access the ingredients, how to prepare the
foods and indeed how to shop for the
ingredients.
Oladapo said his apps are targeted at all
Nigerians and those who love Nigerian
foods, regardless of whether they reside
in Nigeria or overseas.
“I also want people from other cultures
who love technology and foreign foods to
have an app that can help them to
experience delicious foods from the
largest African country, Nigeria.
“This will also be developed for other
African countries,” he said.
On acceptability of his apps, Oladapo
revealed the total downloads of all his
apps is now close to 70,000, mostly by
people in the United States (US) and other
European countries, thereby
achieving his goal of reaching Nigerians
in foreign countries.
He has close to 25,000 downloads of the
Ghanaian Akan (Twi) language, also
mostly from the US and Europe.
“This is evidence that the apps are being
harnessed and are having impact.
“The apps have made a major difference
by simplifying Nigerian foods, as well as
some Nigerian and Ghanaian languages.
“I strongly recommend the apps to
everyone,” he noted.
Asked his greatest challenges in
developing his apps, Oladapo said: “Time
has been my greatest challenge. Having to
work fulltime as a Principal IT consultant,
it takes a lot of motivation to develop all
these apps using my own free time.
“I get through this by reminding myself of
the reason why I am doing this, which is,
to leave a legacy and preserve our culture
in the way that I know best.
Young men and women who are
grappling with knowledge of how to
prepare Nigerian foods, including the
ingredients required for preparing the
foods, will find the apps veritable tool to
practice and improve their cooking skills.
“The apps are easy to understand and
apply. They are available to men and
women, boys and girls, the young and the
old, Nigerians and non-Nigerians, as well
as people of other cultural backgrounds.
“The apps are tailored to suit the needs of
people in rural, remote and urban
locations. It does not matter where you
reside or what your socioeconomic status
might be.”
He attributes his accomplishments to his
perseverance, tenacity and incomparable
determination to succeed where other
people might have encountered
difficulties.
Oladapo is a self-made man. Despite the
successes he achieved through his apps,
he remains unpretentious, polished,
unassuming, amiable and courteous.
To young Nigerian students aspiring to
achieve success with new technology, he
said: “I have dedicated most of my time in
engaging with young Nigerian students. I
always encourage them to know what
they are capable of and be determined to
work hard to achieve their goals against
all odds.
“I impress it on them to be motivated and
to believe in their strength and to stay
focused in achieving their objectives.”
Nigerians in the Diaspora are often
described in offensive terms, such as
“economic refugees” in the countries in
which they reside.
As Oladapo has shown through his apps,
Nigerians in the Diaspora make valuable
contributions to Nigeria’s economic and
political development in different ways.
And they do these from their overseas
locations based on their hard-earned and
legitimate incomes, as well as their
professional skills.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by PrincessJaneDoe: 5:53pm On Nov 29, 2015
where is everyone? Aareonakakanfo, CabbieAC, Whathaveidone, ilekehd, shymm3x, katsumoto, terracotta, raudmeter, zimoni, 9jacrip et'al

Why have you all abandoned this thread? You people should please come back.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by mignone(f): 8:30pm On Nov 29, 2015
Ritchiee:
The son/daughter of God... literally
e ku deedé ìwòyí oo gbogbo omo-olú-ìwà-bí. orí mi n wú bí mo se n ka àwon ohun ìjìnlè wònyí lati owó àwon t'èmi.
to the question, I think 'omoluabi'- "offspring of distinct virtues" depicting that which d Yoruba culture&tradition represents; IMO

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (345) (346) (347) (348) (349) (350) (351) ... (384) (Reply)

Nairaland Says No To Secessionists / Kenyans Are Far Behind Nigerians In Every Aspect – Fani-Kayode / Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 133
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.