Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,479 members, 7,819,748 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:09 PM

Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics - Politics (357) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics (669851 Views)

OPC - Faseun & Adams Unite For Security Of Yoruba Commonwealth / SEUN - Re: Yoruba-commonwealth-politics / Goodluck Jonathan Returns From Commonwealth Assignment (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (354) (355) (356) (357) (358) (359) (360) ... (384) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Ibebe: 7:54am On Nov 30, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:
Ibebe you know that robot news is the most impressive thing I've heard this week? Bbriliant!.That kind of idea can only come from an OAU Graduate.Those guys are gggoood.Have you heard about "Humane"?

Yorubas + ICT = Rice and beans grin grin grin We don corner another market.

Nah, what are they about?

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Ibebe: 7:56am On Nov 30, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:

True talk! That's one of the downsides of Open governance.I just hope he settles the salary thing.
That's the only issue I have with him

Lol looking @ the guy + fayose just annoys the heck out of me jare.

Every time I see his name, this comes to mind:

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 8:00am On Nov 30, 2015
Ibebe:

Yorubas + ICT = Rice and beans grin grin grin We don corner another market.

Nah, what are they about?

The thread made FP.One of my lucky threads smiley

[size=13pt]THESE OAU ENGINEERING STUDENTS BUILT ‘HUMANE’, TO MAKE SMARTPHONES ACCESSIBLE TO THE BLIND[/size]

Humane is virtual sensory software platform that allows visually impaired users to perform tasks on their smartphones which they can’t perform normally.

Humane was developed by Victor Shoaga, Ayodele Obasegun, Oyatope Blessing and Otaru Babatunde, all students of Electrical and Electronics Engineering at the Obafemi Awolowo University, as a presentation for the 2014 Microsoft Imagine Cup. This accounts for why it is still only available on the Windows Phone platform at the moment. However, the team decided to take it to the next level by making improvements that will make it more widely accepted, of which includes compatibility with other platforms.

Humane makes smartphone operation easier for the visually impaired. It helps them select music files, play selected videos (though they can only listen), surf the web, set or check the time, the list goes on.

Humane, as it is, is an application software (not available for public download). It was developed for companies who are prospective buyers to add their own modifications to it, although individual buyers will still find it useful as it is.

How Humane Works

Humane is a software that comes with a manual controller .The software itself is downloaded into the user’s phone and then the user is given the controller and an identification number. The identification number is entered into the software for compatibility with the controller, meaning only one controller is able to work with a single software.

The manual controller has two dongles for scrolling and a central “select” button, making its operation as easy as can be.

The Humane controller is durable, potable, easy to operate and light. The app also has a voice guide to notify when Humane has been successfully activated but the biggest merit is that for an app they can do so much, it connection is simply by Bluetooth – the same way two phones are connected for file sharing.

Challenges

Seeing as it is an extreme useful app, Humane has only a handful of challenges to overcome on it’s way to becoming widely accepted. For one, it is still only available on the Windows Phone platform, although plans are in place to roll it out on other platforms, so there’s no reason to bother.

Also, the manual controller has low ubiquity. Only a few controllers have been produced and as such, there is still a difficulty with dealing with the demand that will arise when Humane becomes widely known.

Another challenge faced on the part of the controller is it’s design. The controller is still in it’s prototype stage so it’s a bit bulky. But it works.

Summary

Humane is a whole platform on it’s own. It’s developers are working round the clock to add improvements and other uses, one of which is the Internet Of Things (IOT) module, which will allow visually impaired users to control appliances in their homes and Obstacle, which can notify a visually impaired operator against colliding with an oncoming obstruction to his path.

Verdict

Humane is perhaps the most useful software I have seen in a long time. It’s usefulness cannot be overemphasized and it’s on it’s way to truly becoming a global phenomenon.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Ibebe: 8:01am On Nov 30, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:

The thread made FP.One of my lucky threads smiley

Only Yorubas...... love my people so much!

I love technological advances that takes accessibility issues into consideration.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 8:02am On Nov 30, 2015
Ibebe:

Lol looking @ the guy + fayose just annoys the heck out of me jare.

Every time I see his name, this comes to mind:

Hahahaha I knew him before he became the Governor of Osun state.Nice man
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Ibebe: 8:02am On Nov 30, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:

Bawo lo se moh?

Se mechanic e ni?
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by OPCNAIRALAND: 8:03am On Nov 30, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:
Ibebe/OPCNairaland, I have to score Osun state a 10/10 in terms of Open Governance.Its the only South-west state that has delivered.I was just trying to get some information on our states websites and I couldn't find any info on what's happening except on Osun state's website.Their website is consistently being updated.We know everything happening.That to me is laudable.We have no idea what Ajimobi,Mimiko,Amosun,or Fayose are doing.Lagos news is all over the place.Meanwhile Fayose is busy cutting ponmo.Ibebe I piree you and your people grin cheesy

Are you familiar with Pareto's rule of 80/20? In summary, if you are a commodity or service provider 80% of your profit margin is generated from 20% invoiced order. Another application of this rule is that in customer service 80% of customer report is a result of 20% product defect or dissatisfaction.

In essence this rule can be applied for positive influence in public administration. By addressing just 20% of government obligations we can produce 80% multiplier effects, ending in public acceptance, socioeconomic buoyancy and positive perception.

A govt that is sensitive to public perception will strive to polish its image for approval. This is where Osun is ahead of others.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 8:04am On Nov 30, 2015
Ibebe:

Bawo lo se moh?

Se mechanic e ni?

Na one of my mentors friend.Waliu Onibon.They're very close friends
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by modath(f): 8:05am On Nov 30, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:
Ibebe you know that robot news is the most impressive thing I've heard this week? Bbriliant!.That kind of idea can only come from an OAU Graduate.Those guys are gggoood.Have you heard about "Humane"?

Awa ti OAU nda un.. tongue

@ Ibebe , even though i travel with my ward(tween,) , I know what our culture demands... It is a way of life & i don't give it a thought, it's just for a fortnight...

On the Osun open governance style, I applaud & at the same time have my reservation cos it gives some folks who claim to be lost tribe of some persecuted race from other climes "mouth" to talk, when their own situation is no better, Just because they are living in delusion & are ignorant of the real state of their own States!! angry

But, with democracy, one must take the good with the not so good, everything has its own Con..
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Ibebe: 8:05am On Nov 30, 2015
[size=28pt]Nigerian mobile parenting startup mytoddlr plans expansion as revenues grow[/size]

Lagos-based startup mytoddlr, which has developed a mobile communication tool allowing parents to stay abreast of their child’s welfare while at school, is planning expansion across Nigeria and beyond as it witnesses growth in usage and revenues.

mytoddlr is a mobile communication and collaboration application that helps busy parents interface with their child’s pre-school or creche throughout the day.

Via a real-time feed, parents receive information on their child’s activity throughout the day, and are able to track milestones and new habits. Parents can enrol authorised adults to pick up their child, and receive alerts when they are picked up or dropped off. Reminders can be set, pictures and videos can be sent, while parents also have access to certain “child analytics”.

Molawa Adesuyi, co-founder and chief executive officer (CEO) of mytoddlr, told Disrupt Africa the platform was an entirely new way for parents to stay in touch with their kids.

“Parents no longer have to worry as they receive real-time feeds of their child’s daily activities right to their mobile phones, whether they are at work, at home or even away on holiday,” he said.

The idea for mytoddlr was born out of personal experiences.

“My colleague’s mum was pregnant, and she is a busy manager at a big firm. How was she supposed to keep up with her professional obligations and also give adequate attention to her growing toddler?” Adesuyi said.

“We were already in the education space, previously running an ed-tech startup, so we immediately knew there were no tools out there to help her with this problem. But this was just one mother with this problem, and you cannot start a business based on just one person’s problem. So we decided to talk to more parents, and to our surprise we discovered this was a problem faced by many parents in urban areas.”

Adesuyi said mytoddlr was looking to assist the growing amount of working parents, struggling to remain updated on their child’s welfare while they are in school.

“We deliver peace of mind to these parents, by helping them easily track their child’s development and daily activities, share important memorable moments in their child’s life, ensure their little one’s security and easily communicate with the pre-school or crèche,” he said.

The startup, which is bootstrapped and funded by family and friends, has seen impressive uptake. Over 1,500 have signed up for the subscription-based service in Lagos alone, and mytoddlr is gaining revenues from users that remain on the service after their free 30-day trial period. Expansion is now on the agenda.

“Abuja is next in the first quarter of next year. We are looking to expand beyond the Nigerian market into other African cities by the second quarter of next year,” Adesuyi said.

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Ibebe: 8:07am On Nov 30, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:

Na one of my mentors friend.Waliu Onibon.They're very close friends

Cool...can you get Waliu to honor us with his presence on this thread? If not, at least let him know what we're saying about Aregbesola......if it won't put you in a dangerous spot.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Ibebe: 8:09am On Nov 30, 2015
modath:

Awa ti OAU nda un.. tongue

@ Ibebe , even though i travel with my ward(tween,) , I know what our culture demands... It is a way of life & i don't give it a thought, it's just for a fortnight...

lol is OAU the best school in Naija?

My sister carry go, you get patient. lol tongue

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 8:09am On Nov 30, 2015
OPCNAIRALAND:

Are you familiar with Pareto's rule of 80/20? In summary, if you are a commodity or service provider 80% of your profit margin is generated from 20% invoiced order. Another application of this rule is that in customer service 80% of customer report is a result of 20% product defect or dissatisfaction.

In essence this rule can be applied for positive influence in public administration. By addressing just 20% of government obligations we can produce 80% multiplier effects, ending in public acceptance, socioeconomic buoyancy and positive perception.

A govt that is sensitive to public perception will strive to polish its image for approval. This is where Osun is ahead of others.

True talk! No matter how people want to mock Osun,this is something I believe even the harshest critics will agree is laudable
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by FemiOlarinde: 8:09am On Nov 30, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:
Speaking of the Nigerian Gambling industry,I know Akin Alabi is also the owner of Nairabet.Its Nigeria's first online sports betting portal and probably the most popular.Adebutu has no rival in the lotto business grin
Sir Kessington Adebutu(Baba Ijebu) na chairman na. Akin Alabi, the onwer of Nairabet, is also a Nairalander. He used to be very active in the sport section. Yorubas dominate the Gambling industry in Nigeria, virtually all the sport betting entities in Nigeria are owned by Yorubas. Have you heared about Kunle Soname ? He is the owner of Bet9ja, he recently bought a football club in Portugal few months ago.

The Fashion industry in Nigeria is also in the firm grip of the Yorubas. I met Deola Sagoe at an event some time ago. She is a very good fashion designer, she was the costumier in Kunle Afolayons movie, October 1. Another lady doing very well for herself in the fashion industry is Yeside Laguda, she just opened her collection store on saturday. There are so so many of them doing very well in the fashion industry, in Nigeria and in diaspora.

Yorubas are doing fairly well in hitherto obscure professions like Fashion Designing, IT, Photography, Filming etc. Western Governors and Western schools should encourage youths/students in all these field. Emphasis should be given to them in our school curriculum, and at the same time, we should also consolidate our grip on the basic professions in Nigeria such as Law, Medicine, Emgineering, Accounting etc

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by modath(f): 8:10am On Nov 30, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:

Baba Kabiru?, se e jo gbe ni egbeda abi, ni agbo ile won ni Ilesa? Abi e jo ja ija Nadeco against Abacha ni? wink

@ ibebe , there is no way you can love the Yoruba tribe better than i do, love love love ERRTHING about us, It is so bad that work colleagues who are non yoruba call me "defender" cos i don't see nothing wrong in the yoruba way of life...

One told me sometime ago that if she didn't know better, she'd think i have a problem expressing myself in English or Gossiping cos i switch to Yoruba once i see any other kinsman/woman & i will stay speaking even if the person is responding in English. cheesy cheesy

One person from another tribe was trying to ridicule yorubas for having out of wedlock kids even as xtians, told her (+her group) that children are gifts from God & are all wanted, & we are way way better than "those" who throw out the pregnant teens, send them into the streets & sell "the" children!! lipsrsealed lipsrsealed ... They never repeated any of such near me!!! They know berra.. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 8:13am On Nov 30, 2015
Ibebe:

Cool...can you get Waliu to honor us with his presence on this thread? If not, at least let him know what we're saying about Aregbesola......if it won't put you in a dangerous spot.

Aww dem tell you say that one get time? grin and besides mi o si ni Naija.That man probably hasn't even heard of Nairaland.He's that busy.Its very difficult to find him as well,you'll hardly see him.Na businessman him be.I think Ambode just appointed him.I gats confirm that one
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Ibebe: 8:16am On Nov 30, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:

Aww dem tell you say that one get time? grin and besides mi o si ni Naija.That man probably hasn't even heard of Nairaland.He's that busy.Its very difficult to find him as well,you'll hardly see him.Na businessman him be.I think Ambode just appointed him.I gats confirm that one

Yea I thought so.

So you know important people and you dey exchange words with raggamuffins on NL? The next time you reply that wicked witch of the west we go fight o. cheesy
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Ibebe: 8:17am On Nov 30, 2015
Eyin eyan mi, odaaro o.

@modath, Aareonakakanfo [dude, you be nightwalker?]
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 8:17am On Nov 30, 2015
FemiOlarinde:
Sir Kessington Adebutu(Baba Ijebu) na chairman na. Akin Alabi, the onwer of Nairabet, is also a Nairalander. He used to be very active in the sport section. Yorubas dominate the Gambling industry in Nigeria, virtually all the sport betting entities in Nigeria are owned by Yorubas. Have you heared about Kunle Soname ? He is the owner of Bet9ja, he recently bought a football club in Portugal few months ago.

The Fashion industry in Nigeria is also in the firm grip of the Yorubas. I met Deola Sagoe at an event some time ago. She is a very good fashion designer, she was the costumier in Kunle Afolayons movie, October 1. Another lady doing very well for herself in the fashion industry is Yeside Laguda, she just opened her collection store on saturday. There are so so many of them doing very well in the fashion industry, in Nigeria and in diaspora.

Yorubas are doing fairly well in hitherto obscure professions like Fashion Designing, IT, Photography, Filming etc. Western Governors and Western schools should encourage youths/students in all these field. Emphasis should be given to them in our school curriculum, and at the same time, we should also consolidate our grip on the basic professions in Nigeria such as Law, Medicine, Emgineering, Accounting etc

Holy Cow! at the emboldened Wow! This site is bbig maaan

I love the last paragraph.Since we are already doing well in these sectors,we just need to invest more in it so we can have total control.A lot of our youths will be employed as well

Welcome to the Commonwealth Sir
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 8:18am On Nov 30, 2015
modath:

Baba Kabiru?, se e jo gbe ni egbeda abi, ni agbo ile won ni Ilesa? Abi e jo ja ija Nadeco against Abacha ni? wink

Haha! mo mo eyan to mo Baba Kabiru.Ore gidi ni won cheesy grin
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by OPCNAIRALAND: 8:20am On Nov 30, 2015
Great post on Humane and its developers.
I believe OAU can set itself apart here. UI became a giant because of research in Tropical Agriculture and Forestry. It started with explorers into WestAfrica who found in Yorubaland a rich soil and crop yield never before seen anywhere in any region in Africa. Foreing institutions got interested and endowment funds were pouring in to the college. Ife can do similar by hunting for talents and grooming their restless creativity for marketability and funding.

We are tired of loosing talents to Foreign soil, we need that money brought in to support them at home.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 8:21am On Nov 30, 2015
Orun ti n kun emi na cheesy.Mummy Bobo/OPCNAIRALAND/FemiOlarinde/forgiveness Odaaro oo

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by OPCNAIRALAND: 8:40am On Nov 30, 2015
FemiOlarinde:

I can accept playing second fiddle in other areas but if Yoruba is not the first, second and third position in fashion industry then we are useless.

On arrival into the hinterland of Yoruba Englishmen were stupefied by Yoruba love of rich color and plush dressings in silk, damask, velvet, cotton. The grade of cotton produced in Yorubaland was exported to the mills in Liverpool and Manchester in higher demand than the low quality from India.

How about indigo dye, batik, patterns, not to mention coral beads. With years of perfection in aso ebi and owambes, we ought by now to be the Paris of Africa.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by OPCNAIRALAND: 8:41am On Nov 30, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:
Orun ti n kun emi na cheesy.Mummy Bobo/OPCNAIRALAND/FemiOlarinde/forgiveness Odaaro oo

Good night Ibebe and Aareonakakanfo.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by forgiveness: 9:00am On Nov 30, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:

grin ka ji re ooooo.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by razid: 9:01am On Nov 30, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:
Smh
Oluwa Glass Company-0
Ceramic Industry at Ifon-0
Idanre Hills-0
Ofosu Forest Reserve-0
These are projects that can easily make Ondo state the most prosperous state in Nigeria
Add to it NIROWI in Ondo town. Each time I pass that place and imagine the kind of opportunities (both direct and indirect) that place could have brought to the town, I SMH for our governments. And to believe that place is very close to the governor's residence is another thing. But give it to the governor, he has lived up to his billing as a health professionals. You need to see the PPP in Laje Ondo town. That place is still going to be a Mecca of sort for medical tourism in not too distant future.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Ritchiee: 10:02am On Nov 30, 2015
BICKERINGS...BICKERINGS...BICKERINGS... WHEN ARE WE GOING TO GET IT RIGHT?
‘Africa’s first business varsity’ can’t take off 7 years after.
Over N200m assets rot away.
From YINKA OLUDAYISI FABOWALE, Abeokuta.

IT looked no more than one of the mushrooms institutions of higher learning dubiously fleecing unwary students and their parents in the name of providing tertiary education. Its unusual name, simple, ordinary appearance and location in an obscure remote rural corner of Ijesa land in Osun State reinforce the suspicion and skepticism of observers and travellers who pass by it on the Itapa/Erinmo/Ijesa-Efon Alaye Road, shortly after forking off the busy Akure–Ile-Ife Road in the state of the Living Spring.

Olapade Agoro Business University (OABU), the red letterings proclaim on the white-coated walls shielding a set of the two-storey buildings that welcomes visitors into Itapa/Erinmo-Ijesa. A small-sized disc signboard besides the building complements this advertisement with similar message.

Interestingly, since about seven years that this structure, supposedly to serve as campus of a proposed private university has been standing on this site, there has been no sign of any academic activity going on there. In fact, the entrance gates are permanently shut like that of the imposing palace of the Owa of Itapa, Ijesa, Dr .(Bishop) Olapade Agoro, the traditional ruler of the host town and proprietor of the proposed institution, lying adjacent to it. The gates are only opened occasionally, when Agoro, who is partly based in Ibadan, Oyo State, paid the small town periodic visits.

However, the association of Agoro is what makes it difficult to dismiss the credibility of the institution with a wave of hand. Besides being the traditional ruler, a prominent religious leader and an entrepreneur with a group of schools, Agoro is a politician who not only contested presidential election as candidate of the National Action Council (NAC), later axed by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), for unimpressive showing at the 2011 polls, but also served as national chairman of the Conference of Nigerian Political Parties (CNPP). Is OABU, therefore for real? If so, why is it neve r in session?

Investigations revealed that local political discord, rivalry and intrigues may be partly responsible for preventing the college, conceived as a specialist university offering business management science courses in 2007, getting of ground. Agoro said the university was meant to be a tribute to and galvanizer of the abundant legendary business acumen and talent for which the Ijesa people are known, besides helping to spur socio- economic development of his community: “I dreamt and started building it in 2007 as a tribute to the Osomalo (enterprising) spirit of my people and to further develop this trait. There is nothing like it yet in the whole o f Africa.

You can only get the type in the United States and Japan and perhaps in U.K. I found our tertiary educational institutions lacked the business orientation and focus in the various disciplines they offered. And that’s our problem in Nigeria, that’s why there is unemployment, that’s why companies are run at a loss, that’ swhy the economy is in shambles and that’s why we are underdeveloped.

“OABU, as a specialist university, is set up to correct all this by giving specialized and quality training in the business management sciences- entrepreneurship, accounting, banking and finance, marketing, Information Technology management and business administration. It’s also meant to be a silicon valley creating businesses.”

The educationist disclosed that he had applied for an operating license from the National Universities Commission (NUC) but regretted that the regulatory body was yet to grant the approval. Could this be due to the modest physical appearance of the campus site which observers on a first look, may be tempted to dismiss as even hardly fitting for a modern secondary school?

The school promoter objected: “In terms of facilities, what we have are more than what we require to get certified.” He listed these to include 11 three-storey buildings comprising lecture rooms and administrative offices, a 200-seater multi-purpose hall, a chapel, clinic, 50-seater eatery, library that can sit 100 readers at a time, male and female hostels that can accommodate 100 students each, shopping mall and municipal facilities like water and electricity. In addition, Agoro said he has begun constructing a stadium for sporting events by the students. In all, the proprietor claimed he had so far spen t N220 million on providing the infrastructure.

As it were, Daily Sun had no privilege of verifying these claims as the gates of the campus were always firmly under lock and key during its visits. However, Agoro offered to order it opened and organize a facility tour, should the reporter be willing to return to the town.

He blamed a spiteful description of the proposed tertiary institution by an indigene interviewed during a recent visit to the town, as “fake and a mere caricature of a university”, citing its small size, on ignorance and malice. He explained that the modest size of the campus suited and has capacity for the academic programmes it was meant to run:

TO BE CONTD...
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Ritchiee: 10:26am On Nov 30, 2015
CONTD...

“It is planned to be a compact campus. That’s the
trend you find abroad. And there is really no
intelligent reason to have many grandiose
buildings that will be difficult to maintain when you
are just taking off. Nigerians have a style of
wastage; higher education is all about quality
learning and knowledge dissemination. Of course,
there is room for expansion. Behind what you see
is a vast expanse of land that we intend to make
use of as we grow.”

According to him, a whole floor in one of the
buildings has been dedicated to Information
Communication Technology training, while every
student will be expected to have a laptop
configured and connected to a virtual library
system that the university hoped to run.

Agoro, was, however, not forthcoming on specific
details on staffing arrangement, beyond saying that
faculty members would be drawn from the United
Kingdom and some Nigerian universities. Although
he claimed to have applied for the operating
licence with a fee of N5 million since 2007, it was
gathered that the university has been tied down by
a concert of conspiring factors. Not much longer
after construction started, work was reportedly
ordered stopped by the NUC on the strength of a
petition by a section of the town led by a rival
traditional ruler now deceased, Elerinmo of Erinmo
Ijesa, Oba Taiwo Adeniyi, alleging dispute over
Agoro’s right over the land.

Adeniyi and Agoro,
both cousins had been locked in a protracted
chieftaincy supremacy tussle with the latter
claiming to be the overlord of the former.
The case which had resulted in an epic legal battle
arose over the Owa Itapa’s, (Agoro’s traditional
title) refusal to subordinate himself to the Elerinmo,
who claimed to supercede the former in the
hierarchy of the town made up of about five clans-
Igbajo, Ooye Ekun, Erinmo, Itapa and Omo.
Sources in the Elerinmo’s court alleged that the
Owa Itapa was a “mere” chief of the paramount
ruler of Ijesaland, the Owa of Ijesaland,

However, the Loyin of Itapa Ijesa, Chief Oluwole
Oguntola, described the claim as a distortion of
history and tradition. He told Daily Sun that the
Owa of Itapa was the founder and the first to settle
in the land, where he was late r joined by Oloja of
Igbajo, Ooye Ekun, Erinmo and Olomo of Omo in
that successive order .

He said the heads of the rest four clans al l used
to meet at the old palace of the Owa Itapa , whom
they acknowledged as their landlord and primus
interpares. Accordingly, the Loyin said, they could
only bear the sub-title of Baale, as they were
allegedly tenants.

Trouble was said to have arisen, however, when
the Owa of Itapa travelled to the United States. In
his long absence, the then Elerinmo, said to be
enormously wealthy and installed in 1992,
allegedly sought official recognition and class
upgrade from the Osun State Government. On the
Owa’s return, the Elerinmo refused to subordinate
himself.

The development sparked off a crisis that
snowballed into a protracted legal battle. But, the
Elerinmo, mysteriously drowned in a well at the
back of his house, on the date judgment was to be
delivered in 2010. However, there has been no
love between the two feuding royal households, as
the late monarch’s successor inherited the old
animosity.
The town was polarized along the loyalists of the
two royal families. This was discovered in the
course of interviewing the townsfolk who spoke
with enthusiastic passion and gall against the
university project, depending on which faction they
belonged.

Attempts to interview some of the
residents on the proposed university met with
either hostile and rebuff or cold refusal in some
quarters, while others spoke glowingly of it and
lauded its promoter. They were upbeat about the
prospects of social and economic development the
tertiary institution would usher into the town.

An elder and member of the Elerinmo’s cabinet,
Chief Michael Atofarati, the Lafosan of Erinmo Ijesa,
said the establishment of the university in the town
was a noble, worthy and commendable cause by
Agoro, noting that it should ordinarily be welcomed
by all indigenes:
“Even if it was a gesture from a stranger ,it will
have our support, how much more our own , a
prominent son of this land.” However, he said
many of the townsfolk were indiferent to it, because
Agoro “went about it in the wrong way.”

He alleged that the people were not happy with the
Owa for arrogating himself to the status of a
monarch and thus disrespecting and challenging
the authority of the “ruler of the town” , the
Elerinmo. To this end, Atofarati said Agoro did not
enjoy the support of the town: “We just watch
him.”
A middle-aged man, who refused to give his name,
mocked the project: “You call that a university? Is
it up to a grammar school or even polytechnic?
They have been saying officials were coming from
Abuja to open it. First they gave a date in
September it did not materialise , later, they said
October 4, yet, we saw nobody. We don’t know if
they are serious about it, or i f it’s just a
gimmick.”

But Chief Oguntomilola debunked the insinuation
that the project lacked popular support: “We are all
in support, the town is behind it. O f course, you
have a handful of people who are motivated by
malice and jealousy.
But, certainly not the majority
of the people, who are going to benefit when the
university starts.”

Interestingly, even before it opens to students, a
mini market has already formed round the
university campus, where a crowd of traders and
hawkers sell fruits, snacks, palm oil, food items ,
soft drinks and bottled water among a range of
wares. Mrs. Grace Akosile, the market leader said

it developed in anticipation of the influx of students
into the town. She, however, lamented that she and
her colleagues were weary with waiting for the
school to open:
“Even prospective students and their parents have
been coming here to ask about admission. But we
were told that approval is being delayed because
government officials from Abuja to give Baba the
nod to start it, kept rescheduling the dates they
were to come and inspect the school. For instance,
we were told they would be coming in September;
we got ready.

We sewed Aso ebi (traditional
uniform) – women groups, youths and
associations. They did not come. Again, it was
shifted to last month (October), still, they failed to
come. We are appealing to the government to
speed up action on the university, because of its
abundant potentials to benefit our town.”

Secretary to the traders, Mrs. Toyin Adelu and Mrs.
Funlola Adeniyi, who sells bean cakes to motorists
and commuters, in a traffic caused by speed
breakers erected in front of the campus site,
reiterated the plea. They debunked alleged
opposition or rejection of the university, which they
noted would promote the glory of the town. Adelu
said,
“We beg government to come to our aid. You
know that the university would bring more visitors
into our town and enhance our buying and selling
business, more money will flow as people will
need to rent houses. But more importantly, our
unemployed youths can get jobs. What Baba
(Agoro) has done for this town, no one in his right
senses will be against it.”

She said although she is from an Erinmo
compound, the fact that she, like several others
came to trade in front of the campus site, proved
the popular support for the university project.
Agoro shared the anxiety of the people on the
stalled project.

He said inspection visit by a team
from the Standing Committee on Private
Universities (SCOPU), NUC, billed for September
was cancelled twice (September 13 and 29) only
for him to receive a text message from the body’s
Secretary, one Pascal Eruaga, about 15.49pm on
September 28, rescheduling the exercise for
between October 4 and 7:
“I wasn’t even notified in writing, just a phone text
message. The NUC’s cancellation of the event was
at a terrible cost. We incurred losses because our
expatriates from UK had to go back . To assemble
those in Nigeria again is not easy. So, I had to tell
them to give me 30-day notice next time they
want it. What of my people? They were all gaily
dressed; they had prepared food and danced in
celebration, only for the NUC people not to show
up!

“I don’t want to make any accusation, because we
have gone past that. There was a time when we
first started that some people tried to disturb the
project and wrote the NUC. The NUC without
consulting or hearing from me, without even
visiting or investigating, stopped the project in
2008, after I’d spent millions of naira. But, they
later asked us to continue. So, I don’t know what
could be happening again now.”

Efforts to reach the Executive Secretary of NUC,
Prof. Julius Okogie, for comments on the matter
failed. However, sources in the commission said
the university could not yet be licensed simply
because the promoter was yet to satisfy the 14-
step coemic briefs-outlining the
contents of the programmes/courses to be run to
ensure they conform with universal standard; ndition required to be in place to qualify. ndition required to be in place to qualify.
According to one of them, OABU has only reached
the seventh step of the criteria ladder. The next
stage, he said involved physical verification of the
resources/facilities
According to one of them, OABU has only reached
the seventh step of the criteria ladder. The next
stage, he said involved physical verification of the
resources/facilities
staffing arrangement involving 20 per cent
professors, 35 per cent associate professors/
readers/lecturers and 45 per cent masters degree
holders as well as assessment and certification of
the qualifications of staff.

Then the university must show evidence of having
enough capital in the bank accounts to pay staff,
offset overhead costs and run on auto-pilot. A NUC

official disclosed: “NUC insists on this because we
don’t want a situation in which the students would
be stranded along the way after entering the
university just because the school can no longer
sustain itself.A lso, the idea of having an
independent board of trustees is to avoid a
situation in which the students are asked to pay
fees into the proprietor’s private accounts,” and
then such money disappears or is mismanaged.
NUC sources said the failure of the SCOPU team to
keep the May 29 appointments, was regrettable,
but explained that it was put off because it clashed
with another crucial official activity involving the
commission.

Another source absolved the commission of
alleged bias and stalling of the university project.
Although he said he needed time to investigate
actual cause of the purported suspension of work
on the project at the initial stage, he explained that
this could have been caused by a possible dispute
on the land on which the campus was sited: “Any
encumbrance on the property on which the
university is to be sited such as ownership
dispute or controversy is a sure ground for
disqualification. You won’t be licensed.

The NUC official said there was nothing wrong with
the modest site of OABU campus, which, according
to the school’s claims had reached 70 per cent
completion: “Of course you can have a modest
temporary site to take off, but there must be a
permanent site of at least 200 acres. On either of
these, however, there must be no clash of
interests.”
As the NUC team plans to visit the proposed
private university, observers have stressed the
need for rival factions in the town to unite and
embrace the project, which, they observed, could
only bring prosperity to the town and transform it
from an undecipherable dot on the national map to
a landmark feature on the global map .

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by laudate: 10:36am On Nov 30, 2015
modath:
EoD, No more no less....I'm going to give two examples to illustrate my position that both the leaders & the led deserve each other...

1. I have an aunt who has virtually abandoned her real biz to engage in "area godmother politics", her definition of a "good" leader is how much the said politician is ready to cough up to maintain their loyalty...

She's in her 50's & been in politics since forever, only changes allegiance as belle face, once i was pushed to ask her "infrastructures & good governance nko", she just looked @ me & smiled like i was a mumu & asked if i think Nigeria can ever be great again , said the country is spoilt beyond repair & each man is for himself...

I was hurt beyond words that day & you know why? She & her cohorts are the delegates that choose candidates in primaries... cry

2.A family friend is an engineer in an IOC/NNPC JV, said there was a community development scheme that the IOC was to undertake, refurbishment of classrooms & the small health centre in the community.... He said the project didn't see light of day cos the elders were distinctly split into two groups

Group A, wanted the company to pay them royalty before embarking on a project that is meant to benefit their own community while Group B claimed their own children were no longer of elementary school age & the funds for the said project should be shared to everyone to solve other needs....

He said the oyinbo men just kept asking the naija guys if there is mass insanity that the community need to be tested for cos they just don't get the kind of mentality that inhibits personal progress & development....

I'm disappointed with the slow progress of this admin but I'm still holding on to hope, & on the travel thing, IT IA UNFAIR the position people have taken, it is not like he is on vacation in the carribeans...

Shy, do an analysis of the places he had been to in recent days, they are all important, Gas exporting countries in Iran, Chogm in Malta, Climate change in france have one impact or the other on our policies ..

I believe the new year will come with new things...

90% of the people complaining actually are praying for the failure of the nation to mock the state of the nation...

Crude oil as at yesterday was 44.50$ P.B, no matter what we say or postulate, this nation is a mono exporting one & to diversify won't happen in 6mths, even 12 months is too soon!!!

Your 2nd example is a classic recital of the malaise that pervades many of our communities, especially in the coastal areas. I already shared on this forum, the experience that Ben Murray Bruce had, when he wanted to repair the stretch of bad road leading off the Lekki-Epe Expressway at Jakande Estate, to his Silverbird Office in that district. sad

The community leaders and youths in that area demanded a bribe of 20 million naira BEFORE they would allow him to start any construction work on that road. They forgot that once the construction commences, they would be engaged as direct labourers on the site, their community would be opened up, ease of access would promote small-scale businesses located in that axis as more visitors would flock to the area, enhanced business opportunities through an improved road network would increase revenue flowing to the area, etc.

They ignored all these and focused on the short-term gains they could get from the bribe that would be 'shared' by elders in their community. shocked

Ben Bruce simply relocated the operations of his firm out of that area and moved back to his Silverbird Galleria in Victoria Island. That road is still in a state of disrepair even as we speak, and it gets heavily flooded during any little rainfall. sad

A similar greedy mindset runs through some coastal communities in the South-West and I keep wondering why this has been allowed to go on for so long. Apparently, it was one of the issues cited by Dangote, in moving his proposed refinery out of the Olokonla area in Ondo State. However, I am yet to get the full details on this. undecided

There are ways to negotiate on-going benefits that could accrue to host communities as was done a few years back, by a gas processing company in Kwale, Delta State. The host community gets 2.5% of profits generated by the plant, and are also entitled to a community development levy charged against trucks that come in there to load gas products from the plant.

Every quarter, the money is ploughed into community development projects like roads construction and maintenance, health care centres etc. undecided

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by razid: 10:37am On Nov 30, 2015
Ooni begins work on N7.6b resort in Ile-Ife

The Ooni of Ife, Oba Adeyeye Ogunwusi, has begun work on a N7.6 billion resort in the ancient town.

The Ife Grand Resort & Leisure is sited near the Ile-Ife toll gate on the Ife-Ibadan Expressway.

The project will be a replica but a far better model of his Inagbe Grand Resort in Lagos, built for N3.5 billion.

A close associate of the monarch said the project, a seven-star hotel, would consist of 300 rooms.

Facilities in the resort will include an artificial lake on which an 8,000-capacity floating bar will stand, spas, a golf course, three swimming pools, a lawn tennis court, an indoor sports hall, 30 horses and quad bikes for pleasure ride.
The resort will also feature a children’s play centre, mud brick houses, and a 5,000- guest hall.

Most of the materials to be used will be sourced from Ile-Ife and processed by the monarch’s factory.

Operating under the corporate name Gran Imperio Limited, Ogunwusi’s company specialises in developing estates and resorts.

The source added that the sites for other resorts had been acquired in Abuja, Port-Harcourt and Maiduguri.

The monarch, in his speech after his selection, said he would embark on activities to develop Ile-Ife.

Oba Ogunwusi is to be inaugurated as the 51st Ooni on December 7.

5 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by laudate: 10:49am On Nov 30, 2015
modath:
Venice & Amaterdam are old old cities that developed their waterways system before the advent of motor cars & only built on from that, so you are comparing apples & oranges & BTW black people and water don't mix well..

It is only those whose circumstances of birth put them right in the midst of water that evolved to being one with it, the ilajes, ijaws etc....

The reason many black people died in '05 hurricane katrina was cos folks couldn't swim..

&

Laudate, you completely ignored the "where is the funds to go over water," question

Waterways are still being developed in various countries, as we speak. The funds to go over the water can also be obtained in the same way the state govt got funds to construct toll-gates, LFTZ, and other construction projects sited on the land. Afterall, Lekki-Ikoyi bridge was built by Fashola in under 2 years, with which funds?? shocked

Apart from that, such bridges built can be tolled to recoup the funds, as experience has shown in the Lekki-Ikoyi bridge. If the Ikorodu-Badore-Epe bridge had been built as planned, part of the chaotic traffic experienced on Lagos island, would have diminished. undecided The idea of building multiple bridges across various islands may not even be required in some cases (although it would undoubtedly be necessary in some places), but building solid concrete jetties and deploying safe, efficient ferries that can cut transportation time in half, would benefit a lot of commuters who decide to use the waterways. wink

Patrol boats carrying qualified coastguards and life-guards can also be deployed on the waterways. Getting rid of wrecks and water hyacinth that could damage propeller engines, can also be done to prevent mishaps and it does not cost an arm and a leg. undecided

Accidents on water can be prevented by ensuring only well-built and structurally sound boats are deployed to carry passengers from one location to the other. Such boats/ferries should have qualified life-guards on board too, while life-jackets should be made compulsory for any intending passenger. Because people do not know how to swim, they should not be discouraged from using water transport. Accidents happen on land too, so do we ask people to stop taking road trips? sad There are folks who do not know how to drive, but that has not stopped them from taking buses and other forms of road transport to get to their destination.

Finally, several of those islands off the coast of Lagos, have a number of jobless youth that are excellent swimmers who can be trained as lifeguards and coast guards. In the past, the Ilaje people patrolled the waterways along the coast of the South-West. They can be invited to contribute their expertise in this area, once again. cool
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by jaymichael(m): 11:26am On Nov 30, 2015
modath:

@ ibebe , there is no way you can love the Yoruba tribe better than i do, love love love ERRTHING about us, It is so bad that work colleagues who are non yoruba call me "defender" cos i don't see nothing wrong in the yoruba way of life...

One told me sometime ago that if she didn't know better, she'd think i have a problem expressing myself in English or Gossiping cos i switch to Yoruba once i see any other kinsman/woman & i will stay speaking even if the person is responding in English. cheesy cheesy

One person from another tribe was trying to ridicule yorubas for having out of wedlock kids even as xtians, told her (+her group) that children are gifts from God & are all wanted, & we are way way better than "those" who throw out the pregnant teens, send them into the streets & sell "the" children!! lipsrsealed lipsrsealed ... They never repeated any of such near me!!! They know berra.. cheesy
Clap! Clap!! Clap!!! Mo patewo fun ire. I love your frankness. Children are Gift from God irrespective of whether they are born out of wedlock or not. I have never seen a child's birth certificate where it reads "Gbemisola Bastard" or "Adewale Born out of wedlock" or "Kemi Omoale".

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (354) (355) (356) (357) (358) (359) (360) ... (384) (Reply)

Kenyans Are Far Behind Nigerians In Every Aspect – Fani-Kayode / Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. / Enugu, The Pride Of The East.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 158
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.