Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,660 members, 7,809,499 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:36 AM

Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics - Politics (359) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics (667121 Views)

OPC - Faseun & Adams Unite For Security Of Yoruba Commonwealth / SEUN - Re: Yoruba-commonwealth-politics / Goodluck Jonathan Returns From Commonwealth Assignment (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (356) (357) (358) (359) (360) (361) (362) ... (384) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by tpiadotcom: 4:53pm On Nov 30, 2015
many royal fathers are or were highly educated, it's not as rare as you're making it seem.

as per wife snatching, etc, that is in the same boat as the story being peddled about out of wedlock children being the norm in Yoruba culture.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by WIZGUY69(m): 4:54pm On Nov 30, 2015
[size=24]Mimiko has turned ondo into Nigeria's medical destination[/size]

The National president of the Nigerian Orthopaedic Association (NOA), Prof. Mike Ogirima has predicted that Ondo state would continue to be a medical destination with its qualitative healthcare services. Welcoming participants and guests at the commencement of the 38th Annual General Meeting and Scientific Conference of the Nigerian Orthopedic Association in Ondo, Ogrima lauded the giant strides of the Ondo State Governor, Dr Olusegun Mimiko, in the health sector. According to him, the facilities at the University of Medical Sciences, Ondo, particularly the trauma centre, was the best in Nigeria as well as in line with global best practices. He then called on governments at all levels to introduce good care system in the health sector as exemplified by the Mimiko- led administration. While declaring the conference open, the State Governor, Dr Olusegun Mimiko reiterated his administration's determination to lift trauma management high in Nigeria and make it globally recognised. According to him, his administration in the last six years has made the right choices for the people and also demonstrated abundant political will in the best interest of the majority of the people. Mimiko explained that there was no functional trauma system in the State before he assumed office, with inadequate basic trauma kits, noting however that the system had now been revamped to reduce the agony of victims of road accidents in all parts of the State, with state of the art facilities, ambulances, information centre and well trained personnel. The Governor expressed optimism that the State would soon become a center for medical tourism, noting that he was poised to benchmark many of his administration's products, including healthcare, education and infrastructure among others and make them unique globally. "This administration established first of its kind trauma and medical centre in the medical village Ondo, the centre is equipped with highly skilled, innovative and committed professionals in all related fields and boast of state of the art equipment, including 64-side CT scan, ultramodern laboratory, effective blood transfusion system, oxygen plant, standard operating theatre, burns unit" the Governor said. Recall that the state government announced penultimate week that the Trauma centre has carried out about 3,000 surgeries with 2,400 dialysis done at the kidney Care Centre between March 2014 when the facility became operational to date. Making the disclosure after a facility tour of the Centre, the State's Commissioner for Information, Kayode Akinmade told newsmen that 1,000 new cases have been received with patients coming from about 30 states in the country as well as Ghana and the United States of America. He mentioned that the centre has so far performed 50 spine surgeries, 350 plastic surgeries, over a thousand Ophthalmology, 800 Ortho, 100 ENT, 100 neuro and over 400 general surgeries among others, adding that it has also screened over 3,000 indigenes of the state through its Community screening programme.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by tpiadotcom: 4:56pm On Nov 30, 2015
WIZGUY69:
ONDO ONDO ONDO ONDO OIL THIS THAT BLAH BLAH

The hospital is still in the early stages of operation and neither is it as grand as you land grabbers want to project.

stop posting false info and allow people to focus on what they are trying to do.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Ibebe: 4:59pm On Nov 30, 2015
WIZGUY69:
[size=24]Mimiko has turned ondo into Nigeria's medical destination[/size]

Great news from Ondo!

We can continue to support each state's endeavor to create a unique identity

Ogun - ICT/Agriculture

Ondo - Health/ Ganja/ Agriculture

Ekiti - Education/ Ganja cheesy cheesy

Osun - Education/Agriculture

Oyo -

Lagos - Megacity/Agriculture
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by zimoni(f): 5:01pm On Nov 30, 2015
Good one Mimiko.

When is the Psycho going to say goodbye to this thread?

O sun mi mehn.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Ibebe: 5:02pm On Nov 30, 2015
modath:

Baba Kabiru?, se e jo gbe ni egbeda abi, ni agbo ile won ni Ilesa? Abi e jo ja ija Nadeco against Abacha ni? wink

@ ibebe , there is no way you can love the Yoruba tribe better than i do, love love love ERRTHING about us, It is so bad that work colleagues who are non yoruba call me "defender" cos i don't see nothing wrong in the yoruba way of life...

One told me sometime ago that if she didn't know better, she'd think i have a problem expressing myself in English or Gossiping cos i switch to Yoruba once i see any other kinsman/woman & i will stay speaking even if the person is responding in English. cheesy cheesy

One person from another tribe was trying to ridicule yorubas for having out of wedlock kids even as xtians, told her (+her group) that children are gifts from God & are all wanted, & we are way way better than "those" who throw out the pregnant teens, send them into the streets & sell "the" children!!
lipsrsealed lipsrsealed ... They never repeated any of such near me!!! They know berra.. cheesy

That's why I love the Yoruba tribe.

Women had/has equal rights in every aspect.

lol modath the defender.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Ibebe: 5:03pm On Nov 30, 2015
zimoni:
Good one Mimiko.

When is the Psycho going to say goodbye to this thread?

O sun mi mehn.

lmaooooo let her keep talking to herself. grin grin grin grin

Good morning aburo.....se ala le se?
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 5:03pm On Nov 30, 2015
I don't know why religious wingnuts always disturb sane folks about marriage/wedlock. Having a kid with or without wedlock is basically the same - as long as you don't neglect the kid.

Marriage/wedlock is just a ceremonial appendage - nothing special. Have ya kids and look after them.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Ibebe: 5:04pm On Nov 30, 2015
raumdeuter:

Akinalabi is a Nairalander.
he used to organize bets on the sport section between me and sauron before he went PLC
His username is akinalabi
The current Ooni was into real estate development before becoming an Ooni. Its a good thing younger and educated people are getting into these royal stools and I believe they would make changes beneficial to their town not just collecting peoples wifes and placing curses on people

lmaoooooo grin cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Ibebe: 5:06pm On Nov 30, 2015
[size=28pt]Ondo embarks on eating right campaigns[/size]

In a bid to stem the increasing cases of diabetics in the country, the Ondo State Government has embarked on intensive eating right campaign, urging the people of state to also add exercises to the precautionary measures to check the killer disease.

The State Commissioner for Health, Dr. Dayo Adeyanju made this exhortation during the 2015 World Diabetics Day celebration in Akure, advised the students, stakeholders and other participants in the state to desist from unhealthy eating practice.

According to him, death that occurred as a result of diabetics is a colossal loss to the state, affirming that if the people imbibe the habit of eating right, it has been confirmed to abate by 70% the risk of having diabetics.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by tpiadotcom: 5:06pm On Nov 30, 2015
zimoni:

When am I, the Psycho going to say goodbye to this thread?

O sun mi mehn.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Ibebe: 5:07pm On Nov 30, 2015
[size=28pt]Ondo Trauma Centre Performs 1,000 Surgeries, 1,739 Dialysis[/size]

Ondo State Governor, Dr. Olusegun Mimiko, has announced that no fewer than 1,000 major and minor surgeries including brain surgeries have so far been carried out in the Trauma and Surgical Centre, in the state.

The governor said 75 new patients, 292 admitted patients and over 1,739 sessions of dialysis were done at the Kidney Care Centre.

The centre became operational about 15 months ago.

Addressing a stakeholders’ meeting in Akure on Thursday, Mimiko mentioned that the emergency medical service initiated by his government replete with state-of-the art ambulances and highly trained personnel was set up to provide prompt medical attention to victims of road traffic accidents.

His said: “At the inception of this administration, we were determined to make Ondo State the best administered state in Nigeria and the cynosure of all eyes, of which its people would be proud of and to mobilise the people to harness all our God-given resources, create and use wealth for the ends of individual happiness.
“To achieve this, we considered the health of the citizens of Ondo State as a priority since it is a well-known fact that health is wealth.

“You will recall that basic health indices of Ondo State were considered the worst in the entire South-west at the outset. We have since instituted unprecedented, bold and ambitious health care development programmes aimed at reducing the burden of diseases and mortality among the good people of the state.”

To this end, Mimiko said his administration embarked on the Abiye Safe Motherhood initiative, which provides free access to quality health care services for pregnant women and under five children, with the globally-acclaimed mother and child hospitals as the apex referral centres among the network of other health facilities dedicated for the programme.

The governor affirmed that the Mother and Child Hospitals in Akure and Ondo remain the busiest and the most effective in terms of outcome maternity centres in the country in just over five years of its operations.

He stressed that thousands of pregnant women and children had continued to benefit from what he referred to as his government’s people-centred programmes already being sign-posted as World Bank benchmarks for Africa on maternal child health care.

The governor posited that his administration had also invested massively in a wholesale health human capital development through continuous facilitation of the recruitment of key personnel to bridge the gaps at the hospitals and basic health centres across the state.

“From the only five consultants in the entire health care delivery system initially, the state now has more than 72 consultants in various fields of medicine. Many of these health personnel are sent for various training programmes both within and outside the country,” he noted.

He explained that due to the brain drain of health workers as they move to explore further career opportunities within and outside the country, the state government commenced residency programmes for post graduate training in some aspects of Medicine in the state.

The governor stated further that “our quest to sustain and retain our health professionals, led us among other reasons, to establish Ondo State University of Medical Sciences, which is the first of its kind in Nigeria.”

He reiterated the determination of his administration to move the health sector to the next level
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by zimoni(f): 5:07pm On Nov 30, 2015
Ibebe:

lmaooooo let her keep talking to herself. grin grin grin grin

Good morning aburo.....se ala le se?

Alaafia ni mo wah.

It's good to be back.

I'm glad we didn't allow Mr Traffic and his crew to kill the fire. Keep the fire burning.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by tpiadotcom: 5:07pm On Nov 30, 2015
ShymmeXS:
I don't know why religious wingnuts always disturb sane folks about marriage/wedlock. Having a kid with or without wedlock is basically the same - as long as you don't neglect the kid.

Marriage/wedlock is just a ceremonial appendage - nothing special. Have ya kids and look after them.

nobody is saying you should not have your out of wedlock kids.

the issue is it is not Yoruba culture.

Your being one doesnt mean it is.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by zimoni(f): 5:10pm On Nov 30, 2015
Saw this on frontpage

APC Puts Yahaya Bello’s Nomination On Hold, Calls For Emergency Meeting

Report reaching DAILY POST from the APC Secretariat in Abuja has it that the national leadership of the All Progressives Congress, APC, has put on hold the nomination of Yahaya Bello as the governorship candidate of the party in the coming re-run in the state.

The party has consequently called for an emergency “stakeholders” meeting for 3pm with the aim of resolving impasse.

The nomination of Bello had sparked protests in Kogi State with many saying he is not fit to govern the state.

More to come…

http://dailypost.ng/2015/11/30/just-in-apc-put-yahaya-bellos-nomination-on-hold-calls-for-emergency-meeting
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Ibebe: 5:10pm On Nov 30, 2015
[size=18pt]Audu's Family, Supporters Throw Weight Behind Faleke[/size]

In a surprise move, the family and supporters of the All Progressives Congress (APC) Kogi governorship candidate, Alhaji Abubakar Audu, who died before the election was concluded last week, and supporters of their principal's running mate, Hon. James Abiodun Faleke, on Monday morning met and decided to support Faleke to emerge as the candidate to replace Audu.

Sources privy to the meeting, informed THISDAY that the decision was made in Lokoja, the Kogi State capital, when both sides met before the meeting of the National Working Committee (NWC) of the APC slated for 2 pm on Monday in Abuja, where a decision would be made on the candidate to replace Audu for the supplementary election slated for Saturday.

Emerging from the meeting, Faleke said: "I want to believe Audu Abubakr is not dead. His mandate is alive and we shall continue to fight until we achieve our goal. Adoja (Audu's nickname) of our time will not rest, until our mission is achieved."

Similarly, Audu's son, Mohammed, who was briefly considered as a substitute for his father, said: "I Mohammed Audu, members of Audu's immediate family, the Adoja political group, and distinguished party leaders across the state, are in support of Hon. Faleke."
Details to follow...

This is time for Okun people to define their political destiny in Kogi state.

Kogi belongs to Yorubas as much as it belongs to Igala and Ebira. Coming from a majority ethnic group, they even have more right.

Yorubas from the SW/Kwara should throw their political weight behind Okun people in Kogi.

Before I was calm about this, but the way these Igala keep acting, with their single digit population, is beginning to irritate me.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by zimoni(f): 5:12pm On Nov 30, 2015
We haven't seen the end of the saga, I'm glad Tinubu has intervened.

Since Audu kicked the bucket, his running mate should be the party's flagbearer.

Interesting movie. Still, I follow.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Ibebe: 5:12pm On Nov 30, 2015
zimoni:

Alaafia ni mo wah.

It's good to be back.

I'm glad we didn't allow Mr Traffic and his crew to kill the fire. Keep the fire burning.

We almost did. Their plan didn't work, so they sent the Osun robot to start quoting everyone.

[size=14pt]My people, una continue to post and express yourself. Do not let a psycho bytch deter you from the end goal cool cool[/size]
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IFELEKE(m): 5:12pm On Nov 30, 2015
raumdeuter:

Akinalabi is a Nairalander.

he used to organize bets on the sport section between me and sauron before he went PLC

His username is akinalabi

The current Ooni was into real estate development before becoming an Ooni. Its a good thing younger and educated people are getting into these royal stools and I believe they would make changes beneficial to their town not just collecting peoples wifes and placing curses on people
grin that rings a bell...
Ile Ife is about to witness a major face lift, may God help the king.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IFELEKE(m): 5:16pm On Nov 30, 2015
zimoni:
Saw this on frontpage

APC Puts Yahaya Bello’s Nomination On Hold, Calls For Emergency Meeting

Report reaching DAILY POST from the APC Secretariat in Abuja has it that the national leadership of the All Progressives Congress, APC, has put on hold the nomination of Yahaya Bello as the governorship candidate of the party in the coming re-run in the state.

The party has consequently called for an emergency “stakeholders” meeting for 3pm with the aim of resolving impasse.

The nomination of Bello had sparked protests in Kogi State with many saying he is not fit to govern the state.

More to come…

http://dailypost.ng/2015/11/30/just-in-apc-put-yahaya-bellos-nomination-on-hold-calls-for-emergency-meeting
Beeni o...
An arrangement is presently being fine tuned to throw up Faleke as the candidate and Mohammed Audu as the running mate making it a win-win for the Igalas in general and the Audus in particular.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Ibebe: 5:17pm On Nov 30, 2015
[size=28pt]Why marijuana farms thrive in Ondo, Ekiti[/size]

The expansive marijuana farms in Ondo and Ekiti states are always in the news, regularly set ablaze by security agents, but they return eventually. What is responsible for the knack of these illicit plantations to rise up from the ashes? Daily Trust takes a look.
Apart from large investment in education that Ekiti and Ondo states are reputable for, the states are also not found wanting in their contributions to the country’s Gross Domestic Product through abundant human and natural resources. The two states, on the Southwest geo-political zone, are blessed with fertile land for the cultivation of cash crops such as cocoa, palm oil, timber, yam, rice, and more. However, rather than focus on how to exploit these opportunities, some residents are looking elsewhere for business - though of the illicit kind - cultivating marijuana, also known as cannabis or Indian hemp.
The states have gradually assumed status of being the leading cultivation centres for marijuana in Nigeria. Investigation in Ekiti revealed that marijuana being produced in the state is in higher demand due to its potency. The state proved its leading role when officials of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) recently discovered and destroyed over 2,000 marijuana farms in Ise and Ogotun areas within this year alone, while it also seized a total of 1,562kgs of the substance from cultivators and couriers. Sources also said the high quality of the cannabis produced in Ekiti, Ondo and Osun is in high demand internationaliy because it is grown on very fertile land.
Not too long ago, the Ondo State command of the NDLEA told the world that they destroyed over 40 hectares marijuana-planted land in the state between January and February, 2015 while 61.298.47kgs of cannabis was also seized between January and June, 2015. The commander of the agency in the state, Mr. Mohammed Sokoto, also said during the United Nations International Day against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking, that 18 persons had been convicted to various terms.
While commending the state government in its efforts at eradicating drug business and consumption among the people of the state, Sokoto implored cannabis planters to turn a new leaf. He said the NDLEA in the state was working in partnership with the government which was already engaged in robust and vigorous programmes of crop substitution for cannabis planters across the state.
The Cocoa Revolution Initiative (CRI), Sokoto said, is the most practical step towards eradicating marijuana cultivation, because most people, especially youths could now channel their energies towards cocoa.
A former NDLEA boss in the state, Ibrahim Abdul, also recently said the agency is facing open hostilities from the communities where marijuana farms are located, saying this is causing a setback to the fight against its cultivation, adding that youths of such areas are often induced to protect the farmers.
Early this year, another former commander of the Agency in Ondo state, Akingbade Bamidele, told Daily Trust that to fight the drug war in the state, government must be actively involved. He disclosed that those who plant marijuana actually go to land owners pretending to be cocoa farmers, only to branch out and cultivate the illicit crop.
Marijuana is fast-displacing cash crops and despoiling the fertility of the land, according to experts, rendering soil useless for the plantation of useful crops.

NDLEA Commander in Ekiti State, Mr Suleiman Jadi recently said in a bid to dissuade people from getting hooked to marijuana, the agency had so far convicted 20 persons for drug-related offences in 2015. According to him, those convicted at the Federal High Court in Ado Ekiti were nabbed at various locations across the state before they were prosecuted. But more worrisome, perhaps, is the fact that the financiers of marijuana cultivation in the state do not reside in Ekiti, but in far away Edo, Delta and other South-South states of the federation, he said. Analysts say the barons who bankroll the ventures are part of the main reason the problem persists.
NDLEA operatives mainly get tip-offs and swoop into action, making arrests and seizing illicit wares. It was on one such occasion that operatives made arrests during which many farms were sealed off, with the largest seizure in Ogotun Ekiti, a neighbouring town to Osun State, in Ekiti Southwest local government, leading to the arrest of three culprits whom he said are being detained, with seven arrested in Ikogosi for related offences, to be charged to court soon.

Funding, however, has been a major headache for the clampdown on marijuana farming and the barons who bankroll the illegal ventures. Jadi said: “To really bring the barons to justice, we have to send our operatives to those states for investigations and this costs money. Even in most cases, my men would have to destroy several cannabis farms manually, which is not easy. So, what we crave for now is aerial spraying through chopper, so that we can destroy as many hectares of land with minimal effort.”
The membership of the old State Drug Abuse Committee has been extended to 19, comprising all paramilitary agencies and other critical stakeholders, pointing out that the name has also been changed to State Drug Control Committee , for the fight against drug abuse to be more robust and holistic.

Jadi told Daily Trust that the counselling unit of the agency had also interacted with about 222 drug abusers, which he said had helped the NDLEA in reducing the menace of mental disorders among youths. He said most appalling is the fact that most of the families of those who suffered mental disorders as a result of drug abuse, didn’t have the knowledge and awareness to approach the agency for rehab.

An indigene of Ogotun, a civil servant who pleaded to be anonymous, lamented that cultivation of marijuana is giving their community a bad name, urging the government to equip NDLEA officials to be able to save the situation. “It is not the indigenes that cultivate marijuana, but labourers who come to farm. We are hard-working people and we don’t indulge in the cultivation of Indian Hemp,” he added.

A secondary school teacher, Mr. Iransiola Ahmed, decried the activities of the farmers in Ogotun Ekiti, saying their illegal activities is giving Ekiti a bad image in the South West. According to him, those engaging in that business are not from the state. He called on the state government to effectively equip the police and NDLEA officials with modern equipment to be able to tackle them.
A farmer in Ogotun, Mr. Samuel Ajadi, urged the government to engage local hunters in searching for marijuana plantations, and he advised the state government to make effective a bill passed into law during former governor Segun Oni’s administration, which outlawed growing of the plant in the state. He added, “At that time, the law made it illegal for anyone to cultivate or give out his land for marijuana in the state. The government also vowed to confiscate any land used for the cultivation of the illegal crop, including any building used for storage after harvest.”

When all is said and done and it is time to rehabilitate those affected by marijuana, the NDLEA is forced to take care of some of them. “We rehabilitate them and return them and re-unite them with their families when they are back to health,” an official said.
A doctor at the Psychiatric Section of the Ekiti State University Teaching Hospital (EKSUTH), who requested anonymity, said the negative effects of indulging in marijuana includes health challenges related to the liver, heart, lungs, as well as poor coordination, immune system suppression, reduction of male sex hormones and reduced sexual capacity. He warned that consumption of the plant could also cause paranoia and decrease short-term memory, among others.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Ibebe: 5:25pm On Nov 30, 2015
There's money to be had in legalized ganja farms.

Ask Mexico....... ask the health system.

grin
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Ibebe: 5:26pm On Nov 30, 2015
[size=28pt]Ondo State Gets Adolescent And Youth Friendly Health Centre[/size]

The Wife of Ondo State Governor, Mrs. Olukemi Mimiko, has reiterated her support and that of her husband’s administration to the welfare of adolescents and youths in the state.

Mrs. Mimiko made this promise at the official launching and commissioning of a newly completed Adolescent and Youth Friendly Hea‎lth Centre in Akure, Ondo State Capital.

The health facility, which is located at the premises of the Ondo State Specialist Hospital, Akure, is an initiative of the state government to guarantee qualitative health care services to all young people in the State.

The centre is planned to offer integrated services in four core areas namely: clinical preventive services, community-based outreaches, treatment and curative services, as well as referral services.

The Governor’s wife emphasized the importance of the well being of the younger generation, as the youths and adolescents constitute about 30 per cent of the state’s population, adding that they hold the peace and joy of parents and the entire society.

While addressing the gathering, the Ondo State Commissioner for Health, Dr. Dayo Adeyanju, said the health facility is a well-being clinic, as it is meant to serve people who are not sick, but want to remain in good health.

He urged all parents and guardians to pay adequate attention to the young ones, in order to prevent them from engaging in anti-social behaviours that can have adverse effects on their well-being.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Ibebe: 5:31pm On Nov 30, 2015
[size=28pt]Nigeria: We Must Empower Women for Rapid Development - Gov Mimiko[/size]

Ondo State governor, Dr. Olusegun Mimiko has said that the surest way to bring rapid development and progress to any society is to empower women.

Mimiko who spoke at the opening ceremony of a workshop on "Capacity Building for Women in Politics" organised by Women Arise for Change Initiative, a non-governmental organisation (NGO) in Akure yesterday, said women must be empowered for rapid development in all spheres of life.

At the workshop that drew participants from Osun, Ekiti and Ondo states,the governor said the most important variables are education and safe motherhood, saying that was why his government made free education and qualitative health service its priority.

According to him, "If we want to catch up with the rest of the world in terms of rapid development and progress, we must empower our women to be able to participate actively in nation building.

"You cannot talk of women empowerment if society does not deliberately invest in education and safe motherhood. Society must ensure that women do not lose their lives in the process of child bearing."

The governor further noted that nature has endowed on women some responsibilities which put them at a disadvantage when it comes to competing in the men-dominated world of politics.

Mimiko averred that any serious government must deliberately craft policy that will take care of peculiarity of women, and that women, themselves, must not be shy to ask for concession as of right.

"Women involvement in politics will only come if society deliberately craft enabling environment for their involvement," the governor said.

In his keynote address, the vice-chancellor, University of Medical Sciences, Ondo, Prof. Friday Okonofua, noted that equal involvement of men and women in all aspects of development would be beneficial for the country as a whole.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by WIZGUY69(m): 5:32pm On Nov 30, 2015
Ibebe:

Great news from Ondo!
We can continue to support each state's endeavor to create a unique identity
Ogun - ICT/Agriculture
Ondo - Health/ Ganja/ Agriculture
Ekiti - Education/ Ganja cheesy cheesy
Osun - Education/Agriculture
Oyo -
Lagos - Megacity/Agriculture

lmfao. grin cheesy
iya agba* you should have allow someone else to do the job na.
which one is ganja again
mi like 'e o shocked
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Ibebe: 5:33pm On Nov 30, 2015
[size=28pt]Ondo Plans Heavy Investments In Health Sector, Says Mimiko[/size]

ONDO State Governor, Dr. Olusegun Mimiko has promised that his government would continue to invest in the state’s health facilities until it is established as a point of reference in medical tourism in Nigeria and beyond.

The governor also called for proper verification of emerging data from different sources in the health sector so as to differentiate genuine data-backed results from politically generated ones.

Mimiko, who was on Thursday conferred with an honorary fellowship award by the National Postgraduate Medical College at its 33rd Convocation ceremony in Ijanikin, Lagos, while receiving the award, challenged scholars at the event to be more proactive in verifying data emanating from different sources.

The governor promised He noted that at the inception of his administration, “it was clear there had to be a total overhaul and reform of the health system and we chose to put maternal and child care at the front burner of medical attention.”

He added: “We were resolute in our conviction that finances should not be a barrier to qualitative healthcare and that for us to succeed, all pregnant women must be tracked from conception to delivery.”

He explained that six years down the line, the government’s home-grown Abiye (safe-motherhood) programme is today arguably one of the most successful and talked about healthcare initiatives in the developing world.

He said at the inception of his administration in February 2009, the government met a poorly funded, poorly equipped health infrastructure manned by an ill-motivated and under-staffed professional work force.

He said it did not help matters that the 2008 Nigeria Demographic Health Survey (NDHS) put Ondo State as having the worst maternal and child health indices in the South-West, stressing however that the state has reduced Maternal Mortality Ratio from a baseline of 545 per 100,000 births, a reduction of over 70 per cent, adding that the state had the unenviable reputation of being the only South-West state and one of the few nationwide without a state-run teaching hospital for both under and post -graduate training at the time.

“Perhaps, this is another noteworthy record set by Ondo State. With your endorsement, we now have teaching hospitals in the state, something we have lacked since her creation almost 40 years ago,” he noted.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Ibebe: 5:34pm On Nov 30, 2015
WIZGUY69:

lmfao. grin cheesy

iya agba*
you should have allow someone else to do the job na.

which one is ganja again

mi like 'e o shocked

lmaooo grin grin grin I trust Ekiti and Ondo on the ganja aspect.

The Africa culture is always looking down on igbo [ganja], however, it does have its health benefits.

If legalized ehnnnn.....owo ti de.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Ibebe: 5:35pm On Nov 30, 2015
[size=28pt]Mimiko Promises Ondo Reference Spot in Health[/size]

Ondo State Governor, Dr Olusegun Mimiko, has declared that his government would continue to break new grounds in the health sector until the state was established as a point of reference in medical tourism in Nigeria and the Africa continent.

Mimiko while addressing a gathering of some Muslim faithful in Akure on Friday said at the inception of his administration in February 2009, he met a poorly funded, inadequately equipped health infrastructure manned by an ill-motivated and under-staffed professional work force, adding that It did not help matters that the 2008 Nigeria Demographic Health Survey (NDHS) put the State as having the worst maternal and child health indices in the southwest.

He said It was clear there had to be a total overhaul and reform of the health system hence, his government chose to put maternal and child care at the front burner of medical attention, submitting further that the government was resolute in its conviction that finances should not be a barrier to qualitative healthcare and that, for him to succeed, all pregnant women must be tracked from conception to delivery.

The Governor said six years down the line the government home-grown Abiye (safe-motherhood) programme had become one of the most successful and talked about healthcare initiatives in the developing world.

He submitted that it was generally assumed that the developing world may not attain the Millennium Development Goals 4 and 5, stressing however, that Ondo State had reduced Maternal Mortality Ratio from a baseline of 545 per 100,000 births , a reduction of over 70%, adding that, a facility-based 5-year audit of maternal Mortality Ratio at the Mother and Child Hospital Akure believed to be the busiest maternity centre in Nigeria with over 30,000 births showed a reduction from 708 per 100,000 births in 2010 to 208 per 100,000 in 2014, another fall of over 70%.

"As regards child health, through our “Orirewa” – acronym for “Ondo State Routine Immunisation Reaching Every Ward Always” – programme, we have been able to mainstream routine immunisation into our primary health care system.

As a matter of fact, we have won consecutively, the two (and only) editions of Bill and Melinda Gates National Leadership Award for Polio eradication for 2013 and 2014" he said, concluding that his government did not intend to relent in its efforts in the health sector but would rather increase its contribution to the sector and ensure that the state becomes a global point of reference.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Ibebe: 5:37pm On Nov 30, 2015
[size=28pt]World Bank Lauds Ondo Over Health Programme[/size]

The Ondo state government has been commended by the World Bank Team on Performance Based Financing (PBF) for "running a unique and reform-oriented health system which is globally acknowledged and well accepted".

The World Bank Team leader on Performance Based Financing (PBF), Dr Oluwole Odutolu said "Our visit to some primary health care facilities across the state on the Performance Based Financing revealed that Ondo state is a reform oriented state that deserves World bank collaboration to deepen its reforms".

while scoring the state high in primary healthcare delivery system, Odutolu submitted that the establishment of the State Primary Healthcare Development Board by the government had also added value to basic healthcare in the State.

Odutolu, who led a team from World Bank, National Primary Healthcare Development Agency and the Federal Ministry of Finance on a courtesy visit on the State Governor, Dr Olusegun Mimiko in his office on Friday noted that the State was unique because it ran a reform-oriented health system which is globally acknowledged and well accepted.

He added that primary healthcare had been scaled up in the 18 council areas of the State to appreciable level, adding that referral to secondary level was also working as expected.

He called on the state government to develop an health care finance mechanism to sustain the laudable health care programmes of the Mimiko- led administration after the expiration of his tenure.
Responding, Governor Mimiko noted that the support of the World Bank was complementing the drive to give healthcare a total phase lift by his administration.

The Governor assured the team of his government's partnership for more qualitative health care delivery across the state and promised to put in place sustainable mechanism that would sustain the laudable programmes of his administration in healthcare.
The state Commissioner for Information, Hon. Kayode Akinmade said the team's submission was a further confirmation of the global recognition of the achievements of the Mimiko led government.

He said World Bank has copied Ondo state example in performance based financing best practices to be replicated in other states of the federation. He further lauded the initiative of Word Bank on its performance based financing programme stressing that this would help to raise the standard of primary healthcare across the country.

If only Ajimobi and Mimiko can work together to build a strong health and e-health system in the SW. smiley

(1) (2) (3) ... (356) (357) (358) (359) (360) (361) (362) ... (384) (Reply)

Nairaland Says No To Secessionists / Kenyans Are Far Behind Nigerians In Every Aspect – Fani-Kayode / Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.