Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,495 members, 7,819,805 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:05 AM

Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics - Politics (362) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics (669873 Views)

OPC - Faseun & Adams Unite For Security Of Yoruba Commonwealth / SEUN - Re: Yoruba-commonwealth-politics / Goodluck Jonathan Returns From Commonwealth Assignment (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (359) (360) (361) (362) (363) (364) (365) ... (384) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Ilaje44(m): 8:14pm On Nov 30, 2015
Ibebe:

Bonjour!

Parlez-vous français?
Cher Madame, je ne parle Francaise par ditout. Je parle seulement un peu. Ma Lange il y a: Ilaje, Yoruba, Allemand et Anglais.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Belmot(m): 8:19pm On Nov 30, 2015

Can't we just find a permanent solution to all these ? I've been saying this for the past 4 days

We can't continue like this
Don't give up
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by IlekeGD: 8:43pm On Nov 30, 2015
Ilaje44:

Cher Madame, je ne parle Francaise par ditout. Je parle seulement un peu. Ma Lange il y a: Ilaje, Yoruba, Allemand et Anglais.

lol I can't speak much o. grin Impressive.

Wetin be Allemand?
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Ilaje44(m): 8:51pm On Nov 30, 2015
mignone:

Òyán ni o

Eyin Igbonna nuun abi beeko? Bami ki gbogbo ara Òyán patapata ati gbogbo igberiko Odo Otin.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Ilaje44(m): 8:54pm On Nov 30, 2015
IlekeGD:

lol I can't speak much o. grin Impressive.

Wetin be Allemand?
I speak only very basic French! Awon ede ti mo nso daadaa ni: Ilaje, Yoruba, ede Jamani (Deutsch) ati Geesi.

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by theV0ice: 8:55pm On Nov 30, 2015
I now believe this site has has been commissioned as an active participant in the programmed miseducation and dumbing down of Nigerians. If that is not so, why is the owner who is assumed to be an intellectual pretending he isn't seeing the obvious tribulations this highly informative and cerebral thread is passing through?

Has it become a crime for normal folks to discuss intelligently in an atmosphere devoid of rancour here?

Is this site meant to promote only animalistic, pedestrian and moronic thoughts, discussions and ideas? Can't any space be found for intelligent discussions?

I've read more gutter words, clichés and sentences on this site than I heard in my entire long stay in diobu and rainbow town ghetto of PH yet those excuses for human beings aren't banned. In fact i still came across some today so what crimes have my people committed here that warrants these bans?

This thread is the main reason why some of us still keep up appearances here. Why the hate?

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Nobody: 9:18pm On Nov 30, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:
[size=15pt]Women “becoming” men in Yoruba tradition[/size]

An interlude before the post on royal women in Dahomey in which I shed some light on the fascinating subject of women becoming men in Yoruba tradition. In the previous post, we learned that among the ladies of the palace in Oyo, two presented themselves as men and were addressed as “Baba”, meaning father. But they form just the tip of the iceberg. Semley mentions that in[b] Ketu oral histories depict Oduduwa, the first Yoruba leader as a woman
. Some of us are aware that a number of powerful Orisha are regarded to be androgynous. In aspects of Yoruba worship, women are said to be “mounted”, i.e. possessed by male spirits.

It can be said that Yoruba traditional belief views gender and sexual expression as fluid. Rather then being rigid, gender is influenced by factors such as age and wealth. These examples from the history and tradition show that not conforming to gender was not frowned upon. However gender non-conforming expressions in Yoruba culture did not necessarily mean that social constructions linked to biolgical sex was renounced. On the contrary, the person could assume gender roles depending on circumstances. In Oyo, the “male mothers” did not work with as many men as others like the the Oba-gunte who was part of the all-male Ogboni secret society but was still not addressed as Baba. Semley suggests that the two “men” among the “mothers” in the palace reinforce the understanding that femininity and masculinity were part of the religious and political power structure at all levels of the state.

In some traditions on Oyo’s earliest history, the king who is said to have introduced warfare on horses was a woman called Orompoto (according to other sources Orompoto was a man as opposed to a woman who became a man, her name denotes “something soft” apparently because a woman who becomes a man must be a softhearted man). The name Orompoto suggests something soft. Orompoto is said to have physically changed herself into a man, and appeared naked to prove it. Friend and fellow Yoruba history nerd, Michael Akanji, recently wrote a post on Omosun, which appears to be another name by which Orompoto is referred (I have also come across the name Ajuwon Olode). He writes that Omosun wanted to be accorded the same rights and privileges of the first born after her older brother, the king’s eldest son died, and that she also wanted to be regarded as a man.

Omosun is regarded as a “although a female, was of a masculine character and she considers the right and privileges of the Aremo (Crown Prince) her own”

The title of Aremo was usually given to the king’s eldest son who would succeed the throne after his father’s death. The Aremo had a good amount of power without the same ritual restrictions as his father, the king. For Omosun to become the Aremo, she had to become a man. Michael sheds more light on Omosun’s story, she wanted to become the next king and rebelled after her Osinyago, adopted Woruale (Irale) his cousin as the Aremo over Omosun. Eventually a dispute rose between Omosun and Woruale, she ended up killing him in a fit of anger.

Other accounts of Orompoto’s story say that she was a woman who “danced in and out on the day of her coronation and then the king-makers looked up and realised she had turned into a man.” Orompoto was the child of Egungunoju, the first king of Oyo at Igboho who had no sons. As she wanted to rule against Yoruba tradition, she chose to change her sex rather than shift the throne to another family. Orompoto was the monarch who introduced cavalary into the Oyo military and lead the Oyo army to conquer many lands. It has been suggested that she is the one behind Oyo bcoming the largest empire in Yoruba history. Interestingly, it is noted that Orompoto’s successor, her son Ajiboyede was the first Oyo king to impose castration for the ranking male official in the palace. Apparently no other woman assumed the Oyo throne before and after the reign of Orompoto, however this may be contended.

What fascinates me about people like Orompoto and the “male mothers” of Oyo is how much of a choice they had in becoming men. It’s quite clear from Orompoto’s case that to become the Alaafin, she had to become a man first but were the “male mothers” required to become men as part of the office? Or was the space left open for women who were inclined to become men in the first place? Nonetheless the existence of such histories just goes to show, further proof by the way, that the heteronormative lens through which scholars look at Yoruba history needs to be challenged.

https://eccentricyoruba./2015/07/08/women-becoming-men-in-yoruba-tradition/

Androgynous Orishas shocked shocked 9jacrip I need help

1. Ketu holding a view that Oduduwa was female must have stemmed from the Ifa verses that portray(ed) Odudwa and Obatala as females at certain points in order to explain certain situations. Verses such as these should not be taken literally - the Orikis of both deities tell us a lot we need to know about them, even their sex.

2. No deity was androgynous. There are deities in ese Ifa who were actual humans and there are deities in ese Ifa who were mythical figures. Most people forget Ifa contains mythology and historical facts/pointers. It is like believing the Osun in Odu Ose Tura was the Osun who married Sango.

3. Mounted means 'eegun' in Yoruba. It does not necessarily mean by male or female spirit. Eegun/mounting is basically a trance or possession were Orisa speaks through someone or more than one person. Or do we say males get 'mounted' by male spirits too? lipsrsealed

4. Gender in Yoruba system is not fluid. This is observable in the roles played by women in Orisa system and during festivals. Do I need to mention Oro, Egungun and other numerous festivals were women play only 'assist' roles. Gender and gender roles are boldly spelt out rigidly.

5. Yemoja is a female deity. The chiefpriest(s) braid their hair which flows down their backs. Does this mean they have assumed a gender 'role' due to the circumstance of being a female deity's priest? I think not.

6. Yes, both were/are and roles for both sides are spelt out and adhered to. No one slips into the role of the other.

7. I've never heard of a female Alaafin in Oyo's history not to mention Orompoto being a female who assumed the male gender. I'll attach a snap shot from Samuel Johnson's work and maybe our Ogas will further research the names mentioned in the chapter to see if anything comes up about Orompoto's gender.

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by superstar1(m): 9:50pm On Nov 30, 2015
What is happening here?

Why are there so many deleted posts?
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Classicool(m): 10:09pm On Nov 30, 2015
forgiveness:

I think Ondo state has the longest coast in Nigeria and also has more crude oil and natural gas than Lagos. That's is also enough to attract investors to Ondo/Ogun axis. So, I still don't understand why they have to build another sea port in Lagos.

Confab report to be implemented! Well, let's keep our fingers crossed until then.
Oyo state can also import through rivers(Ogun river in Oke-Ogun axis and Ago iwoye lake in Oyo town...) If dredge....

I wish ondo and ogun has their ports too we will be holding large chunk of the country to it... More improve IGR....

Buhari will implement it but it will be against their choice but they will have no choice but implement it...(CONfab)
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by laudate: 12:17am On Dec 01, 2015
InterloperX5:
You shouldn't have given him attention, their antics are well known on Nairaland . . . . .they throw some nasty comments and leg it in the hope you throw words back and loose focus . . . . . anyway that aside

Some of this project as discussed demands new money or new wealth to drive things up, government financies as it is now seems bugged down with recurrent expenditures and best project like this is formulated on a private public template to get things started asap, sectors of the economy like rail transportation and more importantly the very profitable axis like the Lagos Oyo Ogun axis for starters. . . .

Yes, new money is needed but why does it have to be govt money? Create enabling laws within a particular area that promote industry and lower the barriers to entry for new businesses or participants, invite investors to participate in that area and offer them like 10-years tax holiday, so they can recoup their money! shocked

Wasn't that what happened in the telecoms sector? Did govt give a kobo to MTN, Econet/Airtel, Etisalat and later Glo, to set up GSM? No! IBB merely deregulated the sector and passed appropriate laws to allow new entrants into the game, then capped it with a 10-year tax holiday.

MTN thought it would take 5 years for them to break even, when they first entered the Nigerian market. But they broke even the 1st year, and started making profits in the 2nd year. By the 3rd year, MTN Nigeria was contributing a sizeable chunk of profits to MTN Group Operations in Africa. undecided

They should do the same for rail, water transport, refineries etc! sad

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by OnReflection: 2:57am On Dec 01, 2015
---

4 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by NaplesFLorida: 4:11am On Dec 01, 2015
laudate:

Yes, new money is needed but why does it have to be govt money? Create enabling laws within a particular area that promotes industry and lowers the barriers to entry for new busineses or participants, invite investors to participate in that area and offer them like 10-years tax holiday so they can recoup their money! shocked

Wasn't that what happened in the telecoms sector? Did govt give a kobo to MTN, Econet/Airtel, Etisalat and later Glo, to set up GSM? No! IBB merely deregulated the sector and passed appropriate laws to allow new entrants into the game, then capped it with a 10-year tax holiday.

MTN thought it would take 5 years for them to break even, when they first entered the nigerian market. but they broke even the 1st year, and started making profits in the 2nd year. By the 3rd year, MTN Nigeria was contributing a sizeable chunk of profits to MTN Group Operations in Africa. undecided

They should do the same for rail, water transport, refineries etc! sad

I reckon what nterloper might be trying to convey if I get his write up well, is that most of the routes this train lines might be running thru in this case would have to be purchased by government compulsory order and hopefully be monetized or converted as public or state contribution amongst other options to this projects.

For me am not a big fan 100% private ownership especially on project that affect the masses directly, without any government presence on this board to kind of represent the masses and keep this guys on their toes, small equity as it maybe still matters that a government representative sits on those boards.

You mentioned the likes of the Telcom out in Nigeria, but me think by giving them unfettered access to design. Implementation and pricing of this industry does have a negative multiplier effect.

But if I were government and see that MTN was able to break even within a year of operation in the interest of the people/tax we will have to renegotiate honestly.

Government would have insisted that a clause be inserted that whichever comes first either 5 years tax break or once they declare profit within the 5 years ......... Tax holiday is finished abeg, we need those taxes coming in soonest to tidy up our books and infrastructures.

No need sitting bye and watching em cart away all them profit in the name of tax break to incentify them whilst the country looses much needed funds from taxes. Some of those contract should really be pro people come what may.

No nations leaves her country's resources to be plunged and looks on like naija, resources here are the consumer who constantly and continously patronise their services.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by NaplesFLorida: 4:32am On Dec 01, 2015
superstar1:
What is happening here?

Why are there so many deleted posts?

War against free speech and sane conversation does comes with a prize like bans and deleted posts........... Funny enough contributors here are suppose to be from an homogenous group as in mainly Yoruba and they have more bans flying back an forth compared if with were one of those e tribal wars on full throttle.

I guess that is what u get for being too enlightened in that part of the country hahaha

Imagine if it this thread had a lot of not so smart people, bans and deletion of post would be so alien in here.

We need more illiterates here it will cure the literates one time lol

(1) (2) (3) ... (359) (360) (361) (362) (363) (364) (365) ... (384) (Reply)

Kenyans Are Far Behind Nigerians In Every Aspect – Fani-Kayode / Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. / Enugu, The Pride Of The East.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.