Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,227 members, 7,818,770 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:48 AM

Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics - Politics (372) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics (669682 Views)

OPC - Faseun & Adams Unite For Security Of Yoruba Commonwealth / SEUN - Re: Yoruba-commonwealth-politics / Goodluck Jonathan Returns From Commonwealth Assignment (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (369) (370) (371) (372) (373) (374) (375) ... (384) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Ghost01(m): 6:10pm On Dec 03, 2015
WIZGUY69:

*sigh* Egbon*

I don't feel like knowing any news from that state.

Because I haven't seen or heard any good news since the emergence of Mr. Fayose as the Governor

That man isn't suppose to be a Governor in the first place.

Mcheeeew
Besides cutting ponmo and buying Tomato, I read that the state has also started demanding that the people pay taxes - about the major (if not only) positive development since Fayose got into power for the second time. The tax evaders are now being made to pay tax, and they are grumbling. If all goes well, and I hope it does, the state should be able to generate, at least, N1bn per month henceforth.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by LogoDWhiz(m): 8:34pm On Dec 03, 2015
Mynd44:
Thats great news. How about the new state hospital? Opened yet?

Not yet. I think some infrastructures are yet to be put in place!
But asides that, I think it's completed.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Mynd44: 8:37pm On Dec 03, 2015
LogoDWhiz:

Not yet. I think some infrastructures are yet to be put in place!

But asides that, I think it's completed.
It has been completed for a long while
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by LogoDWhiz(m): 9:01pm On Dec 03, 2015
Mynd44:
It has been completed for a long while

But it hasn't being launched for use.
No?
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by angiography(m): 9:07pm On Dec 03, 2015
modath:

Black folks sold their kinsmen into SLAVERY to whitemen, so i don't judge new generation black folks, it is in the blood..

P.S... Analysts on AIT picked points from this thread to discuss on Kaakaki on "VIABILITY OF STATES"...

That is a vindication that we didn't waste over 30 days to make our voices heard.. smiley

I quoted this coz it brought succour to my soul that a month I spent here was not a waste...
thank guys for your inspirational posts on the development of my motherland...
the good work of a man speaks after him.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by WIZGUY69(m): 9:12pm On Dec 03, 2015
Ghost01:
Besides cutting ponmo and buying Tomato, I read that the state has also started demanding that the people pay taxes - about the major (if not only) positive development since Fayose got into power for the second time. The tax evaders are now being made to pay tax, and they are grumbling. If all goes well, and I hope it does, the state should be able to generate, at least, N1bn per month henceforth.

Egbon*

That isn't a good news jare. it's a normal thing for people to pay tax.

since he became a governor, I have not read or seen where he commission even a wooden bridge.
But he can criticize another person, like his state is a sort of Tokyo or new york.
misplaced priority.

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Mynd44: 8:24am On Dec 04, 2015
[Osun Recruits Tax Marshals to Boost Revenue Base

Yinka Kolawole in Osogbo

Desirous to address the problem of paucity of fund as a result of dwindling revenue from the federation account to states of the federation, Osun State Government has recruited 300 tax collectors, otherwise called Tax Marshals, to enhance its Internally Generated Revenue (IGR) on a sustainable basis.

The marshals recruited would be deployed to all the nooks and crannies with Point of Sale Terminals (POS) for the collection of taxes from existing and prospective tax payers especially in the informal sector category in the state.

Addressing the newly recruited tax marshals at the end of the 3-day capacity building workshop organized by the State Internal Revenue Service (OSIRS), the Acting Chairman and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the agency, Mr. Dayo Oyebanji said that the gesture of the government was to ensure that tax collection is made easy by taking its collection process to the doorsteps of the residents of the state.

According to him, “The new process would close the convenience gap for taxpayers through easy access to payment of taxes.

“As you are aware…, in the last one year or more, the monthly federal allocation due to the State of Osun has continuously dwindled, and the best strategies that can be adopted to overcome this paucity of fund was to recruit more hands to ensure that tax collection is made easy by taking the collection process to the doorsteps of the good people of Osun.”

http://www.oyostatelatestnews.com/osun-recruits-tax-marshals-to-boost-revenue-base/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by AtlanticBreeze: 8:38am On Dec 04, 2015
WIZGUY69:

Egbon*

That isn't a good news jare. it's a normal thing for people to pay tax.

since he became a governor, I have not read or seen where he commission even a wooden bridge.
But he can criticize another person, like his state is a sort of Tokyo or new york.
misplaced priority.
Fayose is the best Governor in South West as we speak. prove me wrong
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Mynd44: 8:44am On Dec 04, 2015
AtlanticBreeze:

Fayose is the best Governor in South West as we speak. prove me wrong
You said he is, this might be your opinion but please tell us why you think he is the best. We can learn from you
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by AtlanticBreeze: 8:56am On Dec 04, 2015
Mynd44:

You said he is, this might be your opinion but please tell us why you think he is the best. We can learn from you
1, Fayose is not owning salaries, he is building an airport which was a major demand from the owner of that private university in Ekiti.. Fayose has not put Ekiti finance in the red like other governors in the SW has done, despite inheriting same from the previous govt. Also, Fayose is carrying ekiti people along.. My opinion
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Mynd44: 9:08am On Dec 04, 2015
AtlanticBreeze:

1, Fayose is not owning salaries, he is building an airport which was a major demand from the owner of that private university in Ekiti.. Fayose has not put Ekiti finance in the red like other governors in the SW has done, despite inheriting same from the previous govt. Also, Fayose is carrying ekiti people along.. My opinion
1. Civil servants in Ekiti have not been paid their October salaries yet.
2. An airport in Ekiti is pointless and not viable. Ondo state which is more economically viable has an airport in Akure which is 45 minutes away from ado-Ekiti. That airport inly records 4-5 flights weekly.

3. Every givernment owes. You need loans to develop else you will be stuck

5.carrying them along? Please explain

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by WIZGUY69(m): 9:12am On Dec 04, 2015
AtlanticBreeze:

grin. Thank God, You said your opinion because he's not owing workers salary.

I am sure you are blinded by party affiliation.
For your info, the airport project has been put on hold. its a good thing because Ekiti is suppose to be the last state in SW to own an airport.

So the ONLY reason why fayose is the best is because of salary. grin

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by WIZGUY69(m): 9:13am On Dec 04, 2015
Residents of Ogun State have been assured
that the on-going transformational activities
of the State Government would be replicated
in all the nooks and crannies of the State in
order to give them a new lease of life and
ensure even development.
Commissioner for Special Duties, Chief Olu
Odeyemi made this declaration while
commissioning a water project at Lisa
Community in Ifo Local Government area of
the State. Represented by the Permanent
Secretary in the Ministry Dr. Oluyemisi
Ajibawo, Odeyemi affirmed that the Senator
Amosun-led administration remained
committed to even development of the State,
assuring that with time, communities in
different parts of the State would have a feel
of the efforts to change the look of the State.
Describing water as an essential need of
living, the Commissioner lauded the German
Embassy and Development Support Institute
(DSI) for partnering the State Government
with the donation of the water project, noting
that it would go a long way in enhancing
standard of living in the community. Speaking
earlier, Baale of the Community, Chief Oladele
Odugbemi gave the thumbs up for the donors
and enjoined other public-spirited individuals
and corporate bodies in the country to
emulate them.
He acknowledged efforts of the State
Government to make living more bearable for
his people and appealed that more should be
done in this respect. He also commended his
people for embarking on self-help projects
which he said had equally added value to
their living condition. In their respective
addresses, Mrs. Yemi Odiadi of DSI and Mrs.
Sophia Stevens of the German embassy stated
that the urge to touch the lives of the people
positively informed their decision to
collaborate to provide the borehole project,
adding that it would help keep water borne
diseases at bay in the community.

www.ogunstate.gov.ng/media-centre-66/ogun-news/300-ogun-pledges-even-development-across-the-state.html
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by AtlanticBreeze: 9:21am On Dec 04, 2015
Mynd44:

1. Civil servants in Ekiti have not been paid their October salaries yet.
2. An airport in Ekiti is pointless and not viable. Ondo state which is more economically viable has an airport in Akure which is 45 minutes away from ado-Ekiti. That airport inly records 4-5 flights weekly.

3. Every givernment owes. You need loans to develop else you will be stuck

5.carrying them along? Please explain
The largest employer of labor in Ekiti state and probably the highest tax payer in the state is Afe Babalola University.. Read this interview to see where the owner discussed his challenges and what he has done about it with no success. Don't you think it should be a. priority for a smart thinking governor to protect its investors?
http://sunnewsonline.com/new/abuad-ll-equal-harvard-varsity-at-10-afe-babalola-founder/

I insist fayose is not owning salaries except you prove otherwise...

Fayose is friendly with the masses in Ekiti.
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Mynd44: 9:35am On Dec 04, 2015
AtlanticBreeze:

The largest employer of labor in Ekiti state and probably the highest tax payer in the state is Afe Babalola University.. Read this interview to see where the owner discussed his challenges and what he has done about it with no success. Don't you think it should be a. priority for a smart thinking governor to protect its investors?
http://sunnewsonline.com/new/abuad-ll-equal-harvard-varsity-at-10-afe-babalola-founder/

So you are saying he should favor one investor over the whole state? Nice

And yes he owes salaries since October.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by AtlanticBreeze: 9:42am On Dec 04, 2015
Mynd44:

So you are saying he should favor one investor over the whole state? Nice

And yes he owes salaries since October.
Do you know what it means to be the highest employer of labor after the state government and probably the biggest tax payer in the state?

I can't verify your claim workers are being owed as there is no proof to that on the media
Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Mynd44: 9:46am On Dec 04, 2015
AtlanticBreeze:

Do you know what it means to be the highest employer of labor after the state government and probably the biggest tax payer in the state?

I can't verify your claim workers are being owed as there is no proof to that on the media
How much does he pay in taxes each year as related to how much the airport will cost?
And yes he owes. Believe me

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Davvymavvy(f): 9:48am On Dec 04, 2015
AtlanticBreeze:

Please, verify your information before you come to public forum like this to spread falsehood. Fayose has not paid October and November salary and mind you, this is December.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Commonwealth and Politics by Gbawe: 9:54am On Dec 04, 2015
As per the topic of viability of States, which is the cause of the frustration that leads many Nigerians to lose sight of what matters, the fundamental and deliberately perverse structure of Nigeria will always make it difficult for many States , bar the strongest and richest, to be viable.

Today we are at rock bottom and I feel this Government, which I believe is sincere, now has the chance to engage State governors and local government leaders honestly so that all tiers of the federation can join hands to chart a way forward. States can present their case to the FG as per what they need from the centre to help them secure rapid socio-economic growth. The centre must also sincerely do all in its power to ensure genuine liberalisation of processes and vital sectors that can drastically improve the earnings and performance of States. Some States, like Osun and Ekiti for example, are unfeasible vanity projects that should not have been created but for the greed and vainglorious attitude of some influential political leaders. The damage has been done and the only way to now make many Nigerian States viable is for the FG to partner with and assist State governors to turn things around.

The FG, as a matter of urgency, should:

Look at boosting power supply significantly as soon as is possible to spur the growth of activities that will promote the proliferation of the SME sector and thus socio-economic growth.

The Government must remove all grey areas and allow States to control and directly benefit from their mineral endowment. Doing this will create jobs, wealth, infrastructural development, attract FDI and deliver other attendant benefits.

Both suggestions above can drastically turn around the miserable reality of how many Nigerian States are civil service enclaves spending majority, if not all, of federal allocation on civil servant salary. This is the very definition of an unviable case. Sadly for Nigeria, many States fall into this category and a sincere and thorough effort now has to be made to address this deplorable situation once and for all.Though many civil service jobs are surplus to requirement what most Nigerians must understand is that Governors cannot just sack workers in large numbers as this will create social and political unrest.

The best solution is to put the right conditions and environment in place that will stimulate the growth of industry and the SME sector which, worldwide, is always the biggest employer of labour unlike what obtains in Nigeria where States like Osun, with civil service jobs, employ more Nigerians than any other sector. The article below puts things in perspective. Imagine if we had many more Dangotes, albeit on a smaller level, in all States of Nigeria? We can note below that while Dangote's target of 1 million jobs is laudable it will take some doing because the business mogul was only employing 26,000 Nigerians in 2013 when the article below was written. The reality today will be that Dangote has not likely even doubled his workforce from 2013 let alone be close to the 750,000 jobs by 2018 target. The obvious conclusion is that Government at the centre needs to be more of an enabler to provide the conditions that will see many Dangotes everywhere. The Nigerian government, if not for the excesses/incompetence and indolence of the military boys which the PDP then persevered with from 1999 to 2015, has no business being the biggest employer of labour. This must be reversed ASAP if Nigeria is to survive and thrive.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201310141544.html

Nigeria: Dangote to Overtake FG as Biggest Employer of Labour
Tagged:
BusinessLabourNigeriaWest Africa 12 OCTOBER 2013

By Chima Akwaja, Bukola Idowu, Olushola Bello And Agbo-Paul Augustine
With a plan to create 750,000 jobs in the next five years and thereafter raise it to one million, Dangote Group will overtake the federal government as the biggest employer of labour in Nigeria.

The conglomerate owned by Alhaji Aliko Dangote[b] has a current workforce of 26,000 spread across its subsidiaries in cement, salt and sugar manufacturing and packaging plants.[/b]

The FG, as a matter of priority, must try and develop an effective multimodal national transport system, especially focusing on a modular and expandable rail network , that will link Nigerian States and business hubs better. With this the government can achieve one of the 'holy grail' factors which almost automatically always guarantees socio-economic success and development i.e the efficient transport of goods and services throughout Nigeria. This will open up vast opportunities for commerce, trade, attraction of FDI and employment.

The government now has to be the major driver of the effort to diversify the economy of Nigeria away from over-dependence on crude oil earnings. It is now time to move beyond rhetoric. Nigeria has no choice but to diversify her economy or remain relegated in an economic downturn, i.e recession, for the foreseeable future and for as long as oil prices stay well below what we need to successfully and efficiently (1) finance activities of governance (recurrent expenditure) and (2) Finance infrastructural delivery, investments and all things capable of aiding socio-economic development and economic growth (capital spending). Sectors we enjoy a comparative advantage in, like agriculture, must be developed aggressively and entirely without compromise.

I will continue later.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (369) (370) (371) (372) (373) (374) (375) ... (384) (Reply)

Kenyans Are Far Behind Nigerians In Every Aspect – Fani-Kayode / Anambra light of the nation, eastern economy power house. / Enugu, The Pride Of The East.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.